Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, jird said:

Because it can never be said enough: Harve Miller is the worst. The worst.

I still want to throat-punch him for friend zoning EJ after he basically used her to figure out to get his school crush to notice him. And I don’t buy for one minute that he had no idea she had feelings for him or that he did nothing to lead her on. The kisses on the cheek, the long walks, the talks over dinner and him stroking her hand at Nellie’s. Ass-hole. When Pa and Hester Sue learn the truth, I’d like to think Hester Sue’s side eye and disdainful glances were all about Harv and his assholery. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I still want to throat-punch him for friend zoning EJ after he basically used her to figure out to get his school crush to notice him. And I don’t buy for one minute that he had no idea she had feelings for him or that he did nothing to lead her on. The kisses on the cheek, the long walks, the talks over dinner and him stroking her hand at Nellie’s. Ass-hole. When Pa and Hester Sue learn the truth, I’d like to think Hester Sue’s side eye and disdainful glances were all about Harv and his assholery. 

I agree.  Especially because that is how they courted back then--so clearly he knew better.  This is why I wonder why she was so stupid in an episode that came later where she goes to Arizona and falls for an arrogant professor.  You would have thought Harv would have taught her a thing or two.  

That said, I do like that 2 part episode for the Laura/Almanzo story.

• Love 3

I wonder if Reverend Alden was ticked he didn't get the honors.

Also, in RL, Laura and Almanzo were married at Reverend Brown's home (the father of her good friend, Ida and apparently a distant cousin of John Brown). I loved that RL Laura bucked the trend of women saying "obey."

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Also, in RL, Laura and Almanzo were married at Reverend Brown's home (the father of her good friend, Ida and apparently a distant cousin of John Brown). I loved that RL Laura bucked the trend of women saying "obey."

Yes! My husband commented on that when it was on because he thought it was a 70s tv thing, and I got to tell him that nope, Laura was way ahead of her time!

Today I am watching Back to School, and when Laura yells that she's a woman (a WOMAN!) and she hates all of them, I always think of poor Jonathan standing there going, "What did I do? All I did was give Pa a ride out here."

Also, love how confidently Ma says that it's not the first test Laura's failed, "and it certainly won't be the last."

Edited by jird
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, jird said:

Yes! My husband commented on that when it was on because he thought it was a 70s tv thing, and I got to tell him that nope, Laura was way ahead of her time!

Today I am watching Back to School, and when Laura yells that she's a woman (a WOMAN!) and she hates all of them, I always think of poor Jonathan standing there going, "What did I do? All I did was give Pa a ride out here."

Also, love how confidently Ma says that it's not the first test Laura's failed, "and it certainly won't be the last."

Poor Jonathan - while he burned my popcorn about his freaking out over Alice working and her three-week teenage marriage - he really did get treated poorly. He gets screamed at for Laura's raging hormones. He was almost fed "them's snails!" He got dragged into tracking down the firebug who barbecued his wife. He was ushered into the Sleepy Eye sunset when ML and VF made up.

But he did get a spin-off show. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

surprised we never had a thanksgiving episode

That would have been a nice reunion show without any religion. Michael hated them and said people wanted to see you"old" but we would love them no matter what.  Even without Mr Edwards, having Laura or Nellie invite them over, having the twins and younger Ingall's or even 2 families and going back and forth from each town. We would have loved an older MSA or Gilbert and Karen never aged. I'm talking 5 years or so and even if Michael passed, they could have explained that.

But alas, just a good idea now.

9 hours ago, alexa said:

I agree.  Especially because that is how they courted back then--so clearly he knew better.  This is why I wonder why she was so stupid in an episode that came later where she goes to Arizona and falls for an arrogant professor.  You would have thought Harv would have taught her a thing or two.  

That said, I do like that 2 part episode for the Laura/Almanzo story.

That other guy was so nice, I suppose we assume they stayed together? Why she didn't give him the time of day, I don't know.

• Love 1

This morning I opted for "Make A Joyful Noise" over "If I Should Wake Before I Die." I'm always up for a Joe Kagan episode, but I realized Moses Gunn is a terrible singer. Sounds awful, and he's completely out of time! 

Now I'm watching "Town Party, Country Party" over "Goodbye, Mrs. Wilder." No contest. 

• Love 1
On 11/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Superclam said:

This morning I opted for "Make A Joyful Noise" over "If I Should Wake Before I Die." I'm always up for a Joe Kagan episode, but I realized Moses Gunn is a terrible singer. Sounds awful, and he's completely out of time! 

Now I'm watching "Town Party, Country Party" over "Goodbye, Mrs. Wilder." No contest. 

It should be called "Make an Annoying As Hell Noise" with tertiary blind kid/singer singing "Go Tell It on the Mountain" over and over and OVER again. Fun fact, he was played by Keith Coogan, grandson of Jackie Coogan (who I'm sure some will already know was a child actor in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid." Keith guest starred in a ton of stuff and also had roles in teen movies Adventures In Babysitting and (LOL ) Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.

3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

It should be called "Make an Annoying As Hell Noise" with tertiary blind kid/singer singing "Go Tell It on the Mountain" over and over and OVER again. Fun fact, he was played by Keith Coogan, grandson of Jackie Coogan (who I'm sure some will already know was a child actor in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid." Keith guest starred in a ton of stuff and also had roles in teen movies Adventures In Babysitting and (LOL ) Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.

Yeah, that kid looked familiar. 

• Love 1

I rewatched Sprague last night since I had a hard day and wanted to decompress (can't do that in the news) I liked him and forgot some minor things watching.

I don't understand  though out the series Charles going from cash on the barrel to buying things on credit to cash on the barrel to let me take a big loan. : )  I read the real Mr Ingall's did leave town at night when he had debt?

My only beef with this sweet episode is crazy people lived back then too (as we've seen with many characters on this show too) and your young daughter never gets an old guys name who is fishing with her ? She calls him her friend? Mr Edwards was one thing, he was a family friend but some random guy she runs off to see but wont come home with her? I'm sorry, I know we needed the surprise at the end, but Walnut Grove is only so big and this was creepy. I feel it was creepy too when Michael chastises him for not being a good friend to her. Okay...

I also find it hard to believe he lived his whole life alone, not a bad guy, had money and not bad looking. But all the guys on LHOP seem to have trouble getting or keeping women other than Charles. ; )

• Love 2
12 hours ago, debraran said:

I rewatched Sprague last night since I had a hard day and wanted to decompress (can't do that in the news) I liked him and forgot some minor things watching.

I don't understand  though out the series Charles going from cash on the barrel to buying things on credit to cash on the barrel to let me take a big loan. : )  I read the real Mr Ingall's did leave town at night when he had debt?

My only beef with this sweet episode is crazy people lived back then too (as we've seen with many characters on this show too) and your young daughter never gets an old guys name who is fishing with her ? She calls him her friend? Mr Edwards was one thing, he was a family friend but some random guy she runs off to see but wont come home with her? I'm sorry, I know we needed the surprise at the end, but Walnut Grove is only so big and this was creepy. I feel it was creepy too when Michael chastises him for not being a good friend to her. Okay...

I also find it hard to believe he lived his whole life alone, not a bad guy, had money and not bad looking. But all the guys on LHOP seem to have trouble getting or keeping women other than Charles. ; )

funny thing is 8 episodes earlier in the series, was richest man in walnut grove when Charles was way behind at Oleson's cuz the mill closed

12 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

funny thing is 8 episodes earlier in the series, was richest man in walnut grove when Charles was way behind at Oleson's cuz the mill closed

"CASH ON THE BARREL FROM HERE ON OUT!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I just saw the episode in Season 8 that Mr. Edwards comes back to Walnut Grove because Grace kicked him out for continually drinking.  It turned out to be a very nice episode.  I like that Laura took him in and he didn't do the typical TV thing where he messes up with the person that gives him a chance.  I also loved that he went into the church to pray and Rev Alden talked to him about his own past.  It was very sweet--I like those types of episodes.  And Charles apologized to him in the end.  

I also noticed in Season 8 is where Laura starts to suddenly look older and more mature--she doesn't have that look of a little girl trying to look older.  She is very pretty at this stage, in my opinion, and she has a nice confidence as a character and an actress.  

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I woke up this morning to James calling Charles "PA" and e being confused cuz I can't keep track of all the kids Charles adopted

I saw part of the one where James gets shot and Pa goes batshit crazy and builds a phallic temple of some kind and there's a lot of really bad purple flashing special effects and then James is healed.

The craziest part of that all for me is how no one ever brought it up again. Like, ho hum, kid almost died, Pa went nuts and ran to the woods long enough to grow a big fluffy beard, God spoke to him and miraculously healed James, hey look, Mr. Edwards has an orangutan.

Seems like that would have been something that came up in family discussions, or that at least one family member would have had a crazy religious conversion after that, but nope, let's go see what kind of pie they have at Nellie's today.

• LOL 3
43 minutes ago, jird said:

I saw part of the one where James gets shot and Pa goes batshit crazy and builds a phallic temple of some kind and there's a lot of really bad purple flashing special effects and then James is healed.

The craziest part of that all for me is how no one ever brought it up again. Like, ho hum, kid almost died, Pa went nuts and ran to the woods long enough to grow a big fluffy beard, God spoke to him and miraculously healed James, hey look, Mr. Edwards has an orangutan.

Seems like that would have been something that came up in family discussions, or that at least one family member would have had a crazy religious conversion after that, but nope, let's go see what kind of pie they have at Nellie's today.

If I recall that was the final episode of LHOP, then it turned into A NEW BEGINNING

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Bonanza was before my time, but I love stumbling on episodes that got reused in LHoTP. Right now, Little Joe is teaching a deaf girl sign language and she falls in love with him.

Was she cute?

Because Daniel was kind of fug. Not as fug as Fugly Johnson but fug.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Was she cute?

Yes she was cute. She was played by Stella Stevens and the episode was called Silent Thunder. Sadly I missed the end.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Was she cute?

I was going to say that, but I worried it was mean. I should have remembered that we have the proper attitude about making fun of a 45 year old tv show. 🙂

• LOL 3

I really enjoy teh episode "The Afterman" with the James boy's taking Mary hostage

Fun episode

Also the only episode where Charles doesnt try to rough up the bad boys. He knew he couldn't mess with them

I like how "The Stranger" is after "The Inheritance"

"Here charles , take my nephew and teach how to be a hard worker, even though you just bought  a bunch of stuff on credit waiting on money to come that turned out to be confederate money, maybe you can not teach him that"

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I found the movie disappointing. The land development story bored me. That's what bugged me the most. It was boring.

I even liked the movie about Albert's illness better because it was about family and people. I never liked the stories about business deals and evil city slickers.

4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I found the movie disappointing. The land development story bored me. That's what bugged me the most. It was boring.

I even liked the movie about Albert's illness better because it was about family and people. I never liked the stories about business deals and evil city slickers.

I can see where your coming from. I don't know, I was hooked in.

9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The ANgry Heart is such a dark episode.

The guy beating his grandpa

Just ugh Hard to watch/imagine

It shows that for some, violence begets violence. He was abused and he did the same. I think the "love" people try to put on parents like that sometimes really doesn't exist. If your parent never treated you with love, never did anything but berate and abuse you, you don't have to pretend to "love" them. Wishing they were different is one thing, but realizing you aren't them is more important.

• Love 1

I just watched part of "The Hunters" which is one I've never heard of, or seen discussed here, to the best of my knowledge. Charles gets shot while out hunting with Laura and and old blind man has to help her find Mr. Edwards. Not a bad episode. I think it was originally a two-part episode. 

Now I'm watching "Blizzard," which I've probably seen 20 times. In hindsight, you could totally tell that nice guy from the beginning was going to die by the end. 

12 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I just watched part of "The Hunters" which is one I've never heard of, or seen discussed here, to the best of my knowledge. Charles gets shot while out hunting with Laura and and old blind man has to help her find Mr. Edwards. Not a bad episode. I think it was originally a two-part episode. 

I vaguely remember that. he shot himself, right?

25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I vaguely remember that. he shot himself, right?

I think Mr Edwards is depressed and wants to commit suicide, but Charles fakes a gun accident to convince Edwards that he's needed.  Unless that's a different one....

5 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think Mr Edwards is depressed and wants to commit suicide, but Charles fakes a gun accident to convince Edwards that he's needed.  Unless that's a different one....

No, that's a different one. Later, if I'm not mistaken. In this one, Laura knocks the loaded gun over and it hits Charles. I didn't realize Burl Ives plays the blind man. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Superclam said:

No, that's a different one. Later, if I'm not mistaken. In this one, Laura knocks the loaded gun over and it hits Charles. I didn't realize Burl Ives plays the blind man. 

Well, I knew somebody knocked the gun over. For some reason I had remembered it as being Charles.  

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, I knew somebody knocked the gun over. For some reason I had remembered it as being Charles.  

Charles knocking the gun over so he can get shot?

I could see it

A reason for him to take his shirt off

• LOL 4

I loved Plum Creek episode but the first one is my favorite. I loved the cups, the potatoes and the mittens . In Plum Creek I like how Mom and Mary both make the same shirt (small store inventory) : )  I like how Carrie got a toy and Ma got her stove but giving Bunny away to Nellie...not so much. If it was anyone but her. Sure she wasn't Nancy but a spoiled girl who probably didn't appreciate gifts and thought she deserved Bunny and the horse she got later. And you just knew Laura would get it back, the writers knew it was her horse and plots were in the works for many more stories. That saddle would get used.  Charles face when Caroline says Laura's name and Nel's comes for the horse also was touching but bothered me. You can give away a book or item parents bought you but a living creature without asking? I don't know how much Charles paid for it, but really Nel's should have said something. A grown man doesn't bargain with a 6 year old over a horse.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, debraran said:

You can give away a book or item parents bought you but a living creature without asking? I don't know how much Charles paid for it, but really Nel's should have said something. A grown man doesn't bargain with a 6 year old over a horse.

I would normally agree with this, but they made a point earlier in the episode of having Charles say in front of Nels that it was Laura's horse and it was up to her to decide whether to sell or not. (Was Bunny a male in this episode? I seem to recall that in some episodes they referred to Bunny as him, and in others as her.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, debraran said:

don't know how much Charles paid for it, but really Nel's should have said something. A grown man doesn't bargain with a 6 year old over a horse.

Nels was a fair and honest man.  If the trade hadn't been more or less even (or maybe even in Laura's favor) he either wouldn't have made it, or would have offered her the difference in cash.  If when he had shown up with the stove Charles had asked him to take cash instead, I'm equally sure that he would have done that. Charles let Laura live with the consequence of her decision because that's the only way she'll learn.  Plus, she sacrificed something of hers for someone else in the family, and that's not a bad thing (although giving a living creature to Nellie to torture is).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Was it Christmas Eve or Christmas day Nels went and got Bunny? He delivered the stove on Christmas Eve and got Bunny Christmas morning right?

I thought he did it the same time.