Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

On 10/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, CountryGirl said:

I do think it was pure evil that ML tried to kill Ginny, I mean, Jenny by drowning, not once, but twice. 

Respectfully disagree because if I had bangs as tragic as Jenny's, I'd be fine getting killed.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

The Halloween Dream episode had to be the worst one ever

Yes I think I saw it twice and that was more than enough. There was another later with a kidnapping and dumb kidnappers and it was too painful for me to get through. The difference from the The Richest Man type shows and that was 180 degrees.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, debraran said:

There was another later with a kidnapping and dumb kidnappers and it was too painful for me to get through.

I actually love that one--assuming it's the one where they end up kidnapping the entire town.  It's too ridiculous not to love.

17 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Respectfully disagree because if I had bangs as tragic as Jenny's, I'd be fine getting killed.

And to be fair, the entire cast was probably sick of listening to her talk.

1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

Poor Shannen...Jenny wasn't beloved and as for Brenda Walsh, there was a magazine IIRC devoted to hating her character.

I always liked both characters.  As for Jenny, it probably helped that I'm the same age as Shannen, so when she first came on the show, it was like, yay, a kid my age who isn't Nancy.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I actually love that one--assuming it's the one where they end up kidnapping the entire town.  It's too ridiculous not to love.

I don’t remember the entire town being kidnapped. What happened in that one?

I remember Mr. Oleson getting kidnapped.

18 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don’t remember the entire town being kidnapped. What happened in that one?

I remember Mr. Oleson getting kidnapped.

It's probably the same epi.  I think it starts with Nels getting kidnapped.  Harriet refuses to pay up.  They pretend to kill him and then kidnap her.  They want her to cook, but she says they have to kidnap Caroline for that.  They do.  They end up kidnapping like half the town. Then Nancy and Willie try to rob the bank with a licorice gun to get the ransom money.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes I think I saw it twice and that was more than enough. There was another later with a kidnapping and dumb kidnappers and it was too painful for me to get through. The difference from the The Richest Man type shows and that was 180 degrees.

the legend of Black Jake

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's probably the same epi.  I think it starts with Nels getting kidnapped.  Harriet refuses to pay up.  They pretend to kill him and then kidnap her.  They want her to cook, but she says they have to kidnap Caroline for that.  They do.  They end up kidnapping like half the town. Then Nancy and Willie try to rob the bank with a licorice gun to get the ransom money.

I think I need to watch that one again. I don’t remember any of that.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I remembered this episode up until the Caroline part...maybe I need to check it out.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Everybody not remembering is making me think I might have had an active imagination.  i really don't remember see this episode in years.  Maybe not since it was originally run.  

Lol, I looked it up, and your description is fairly accurate. It's an 8th season episode. It's meant to be comedic. I might watch it on Amazon over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

i dont think ive paid much attention to season 8. Am I missing much?

Definitely not much. The season starts with the introduction to Nancy, and ends with James getting shot and magically resurrected. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The one I try to forget is The Older Brothers

Mr. Edwards, and later, Almanzo and John, become mixed up with the criminal activities of a bumbling gang of outlaws.

Notes: An episode of Bonanza, titled "The Younger Brothers' Younger Brother", had a story with a similar theme to this episode. Both episodes were written by Michael Landon.

Guest stars: Geoffrey Lewis, Robert Donner, Timothy Scott

• Love 1

Yeah, I saw this one last week for the first time. I had never even heard of it. It was really slapstick-stupid. The only interesting thing about it was that it featured Geoffrey Lewis, father of Juliette. Geoffrey Lewis was one of those guys who was in everything in the 70s and 80s. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, debraran said:

The one I try to forget is The Older Brothers

Mr. Edwards, and later, Almanzo and John, become mixed up with the criminal activities of a bumbling gang of outlaws.

Notes: An episode of Bonanza, titled "The Younger Brothers' Younger Brother", had a story with a similar theme to this episode. Both episodes were written by Michael Landon.

Guest stars: Geoffrey Lewis, Robert Donner, Timothy Scott

I always thought that one and the Black Jake one were the same episode. I tried to watch Black Jake yesterday, and couldn't do it, it was so dumb. I would venture to say it was worse than the orangutan episode.

• Love 1

It seemed like a lot of tv shows featured an orangutan during that era due to the movie Every Which Way But Loose. It always seems forced though. Like they knew it's a stunt to get through for the paycheck.

It doesn't help that I never thought orangutans are funny.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

It seemed like a lot of tv shows featured an orangutan during that era due to the movie Every Which Way But Loose. It always seems forced though. Like they knew it's a stunt to get through for the paycheck.

It doesn't help that I never thought orangutans are funny.

Yes, it was the era of orangutans or chimps. The only difference was that the poor chimps always had to wear clothes.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

let us know how you enjoyed it

Well, that's an hour of my life I'm not getting back. It was just as dumb as everyone suggested. 

10 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, Blanche did save Disaster Rose. So there's that.

I'd like to point out that Blanche actually started the fire from which she saved the baby. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I did like the slowed down, sad version of "Ole Dan Tucker." 

2 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Obviously I didn’t pay that close of attention. LOL. 

I'd also like to point out that, unlike Mary and Adam, the F---ing orangutan was smart enough to get the baby out of the burning house! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I did like the slowed down, sad version of "Ole Dan Tucker." 

I'd also like to point out that, unlike Mary and Adam, the F---ing orangutan was smart enough to get the baby out of the burning house! 

YES!!! Team Blanche. 

• LOL 3

Y'know what? Since it's Sunday, and Caroline would want us to be positive, I'm going to name some episodes I like. 

I'm watching the first one with Mr. Sprague, and it's a good episode. 

I also like the one with the rats, and the one with Mr. Pike. And of course, Country Girls. 

• Love 4

Some of my faves:

A Harvest of Friends - I’m a sucker for the ending

Country Girls (it inspired my SN after all) - it was one of the most true-to-the-books episodes and introduced us to the deliciously evil Nellie Olsen

Christmas at Plum Creek - Laura trading her beloved Bunny to get Ma a stove always makes me misty

I’ll Be Waving As You Drive Away - Mary going blind will always be a stand out, especially those moments when a terrified Mary wakes up to find her world has gone dark  

The Circus - Nels gets a backstory and a sister, Laura gets revenge on “that snippy Christy”

Back to School - Lucy Lee Flippin’s Eliza Jane, cinnamon chicken, and “I’m a WOMAN!” Half-Pint and Nellie’s mud-wrestling match

Sweet Sixteen - Laura dons the Feminine Bun of Maturity and Manly finally takes notice 

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - there’s the drama of Manly and the belt-wearing saloon girl (General Hospital’s Nancy Lee Grahn), but the main draw is the introduction of Percival and his taming of the shrew, ahem, Nellie.

• Love 6

Country Girls.

The Richest Man in Walnut Grove - I love the family working together and Laura learning to be proud of that work.

Blizzard - I'm a sucker for a Christmas episode, even if it does involve a town full of children nearly dying. And it led me to read The Children's Blizzard, which was a great book.

And I like any of the episodes where we get to see how much Nels and Harriet love each other - I would have liked more of those moments.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jird said:

And I like any of the episodes where we get to see how much Nels and Harriet love each other - I would have liked more of those moments.

The later seasons are not popular, but I like the episode where when Willie gets married and Harriet disapproved. The end was a nice moment when Nels told Harriet that his mother didn't want him marrying her but it was the best thing he ever did. And then they danced.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

The later seasons are not popular, but I like the episode where when Willie gets married and Harriet disapproved. The end was a nice moment when Nels told Harriet that his mother didn't want him marrying her but it was the best thing he ever did. And then they danced.

When he was sick was another time and when he was with Molly and at the end Nels and Harriet walked at night together after she burned the roast. (willie dug in though)

image.png.5de8fc2d5213646ad1964839282e5411.pngimage.png.b291173215ea09fbc7382f5cd3fbad15.png

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I also liked getting some Harriet backstory when Reverend Alden got married and we learned she had been engaged before Nels. 

And at Willie's wedding, his parents didn't want him to marry her...maybe because of engagement? Rules were odd then but she had money, it had to be something.

2 hours ago, debraran said:

And at Willie's wedding, his parents didn't want him to marry her...maybe because of engagement? Rules were odd then but she had money, it had to be something.

I think it was just Harriet.  Willie was supposed to be going to college. I think she wanted him to get out of Walnut Grove and be a bigwig in some city.  Not stay in Walnut Grove and be a farmer, or whatever.

52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think it was just Harriet.  Willie was supposed to be going to college. I think she wanted him to get out of Walnut Grove and be a bigwig in some city.  Not stay in Walnut Grove and be a farmer, or whatever.

No I meant Nels parents didn’t want him marrying Harriet. He said that to her that day and he married her anyway 

• Love 1

Okay you guys, don't say I never did anything for you.

Here is the order of kidnappings in The Legend of Black Jake, so that Katy knows she's not crazy. I do not, however, have it in me to summarize everything that happened, because just watching it made my brain leak out my ears.

• Nels.  Nels is robbed because the dumb guys heard him talking about having "pure gold," which was actually a fishing lure. When they realize he doesn't have any gold, they decide to kidnap him for ransom.
  • Harriet.  Harriet refuses to pay ransom, and Nels joins forces with the dumb guys to kidnap her, thinking that she'd fork over the money if it was for her (they tell her Nels is dead).
  •  Bill the banker. Harriet tells the kidnappers that no one else but her has the authority to get money from her bank account, so they kidnap the banker.
  • Doc Baker. Bill the banker has what looks like a heart attack, so the dumb guys go kidnap the Doc.
  • Rev. Alden. The Reverend happened to be at Doc's house, so they took him, too.
  • Pa and Almanzo. Our resident doofuses attempt to go rescue everyone, and see bad guys breaking into the bank. The bad guys are, of course, Rev. Alden and Doc Baker, who have been dispatched to break into the bank and get the money. (I'm not sure how all 4 of them ended back up in the custody of the dumb guys, I think I blacked out for a while.)

And Harriet did indeed suggest that they kidnap Caroline so she could do the cooking, but they didn't actually do it.

I refuse to recap Nels in flourface pretending to be a ghost, or Willie eating the licorice gun he and Nancy were going to use to rob the bank, or Rev Alden getting whacked on the head and forgetting the bank safe combination, so you're on your own for details.

(And let's not talk about how it was just HI-larious that Nels let his wife and his kids think he was dead, and acted like nothing had happened.)

Edited by jird
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Reading all the comments about Nels and Harriet, I think I've come to an unpopular decision - they were my favorite couple.  They weren't all "lovey dovey" with each other and they had their ups and downs, but always seemed to love each other in the end. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

Reading all the comments about Nels and Harriet, I think I've come to an unpopular decision - they were my favorite couple.  They weren't all "lovey dovey" with each other and they had their ups and downs, but always seemed to love each other in the end. 

This show would have been a lot worse without the Olesons, especially Harriet. 

• Love 3