Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Are Laura and Nellie the same age, or is Nellie older? 

I always considered Nellie to be one year younger than Mary and one year older than Laura. Mostly based on how they 'graduated' from school.

Seeing as how Nellie was also close in age to Mary, I wonder why she wasn't friends with her, instead of being frenemies with Laura. Seems like the 2 prim & proper girls would gravitate to each other. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, jird said:

And *everyone* had a nicer and bigger house than they did, even the Garveys and Edwardses, who were both farmers like Charles who worked at the mill. Andy Garvey had his own bedroom, with a door, while the Ingalls just kept packing kids of all shapes and sizes into the loft.

Yes, the issue is more that they gave everyone else nicer homes no matter what their situation, and not so much that Pa's house isn't fancy.  I think they are trying to reflect the Ingalls' constant struggles throughout the years by keeping their home and life simple--but I do agree I never understand why everyone else's house is so nice--even when there is little or no income source.

• Love 4

I have been rewatching the series and am on Season 4.  It is strange because Mary is suddenly featured a lot, and Laura kind of takes a backseat.  Mary has the episode where John breaks up with her, the Jesse James episode, and one at the County Fair.  She also is a lot meaner--it is so weird.  First of all, on the fair episode, she completely disses the guy she is supposed to meet there for the older guy running the balloon.  She has no issues with the fact she can see the guy is a jerk to her friend and still wanders off with him.  And then at the end she finally gets mad at the older guy when he cares more about his balloon than her friend (this is the one time the older guy actually makes sense and logically is upset that he cut the ropes for the balloon, and yet this is the moment Mary decides to be all proper and kind, lol!)

Then Mary is the one that has an outburst about the Indians being heathens when Pa is hiding away a few Indians in their sodhouse.  Even Ma, who hates Indians, was kind.  I am like, did Mary ask for a personality change and to be in the limelight or what? 

And back to the John episode--I had forgotten about that one, and how strange that he had such of a personality change too.  I mean--he pretends in letters that all is the same and then in real life he is hiding away a lover.  So weird.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, alexa said:

I have been rewatching the series and am on Season 4.  It is strange because Mary is suddenly featured a lot, and Laura kind of takes a backseat.  Mary has the episode where John breaks up with her, the Jesse James episode, and one at the County Fair.  She also is a lot meaner--it is so weird.  First of all, on the fair episode, she completely disses the guy she is supposed to meet there for the older guy running the balloon.  She has no issues with the fact she can see the guy is a jerk to her friend and still wanders off with him.  And then at the end she finally gets mad at the older guy when he cares more about his balloon than her friend (this is the one time the older guy actually makes sense and logically is upset that he cut the ropes for the balloon, and yet this is the moment Mary decides to be all proper and kind, lol!)

Then Mary is the one that has an outburst about the Indians being heathens when Pa is hiding away a few Indians in their sodhouse.  Even Ma, who hates Indians, was kind.  I am like, did Mary ask for a personality change and to be in the limelight or what? 

And back to the John episode--I had forgotten about that one, and how strange that he had such of a personality change too.  I mean--he pretends in letters that all is the same and then in real life he is hiding away a lover.  So weird.

I felt the writers were trying to give Mary more "meat" so to speak and she came off a bit shrill. They knew once she went blind, she'd be shown less or be able to do as much. Although she got the only Emmy nod for acting, she was right that her time got less and less after she started teaching at the blind school. Getting married was a bad idea, having kids, only to lose one early and then later. They lost touch of the things that made people watch. I don't think anyone thought 2 blind parents would be able to raise a kid on their own and no one ever even broached it until Mary had a panic attack. Saving a child in a dust storm seemed to cure her from worrying about anything else though. 🙄

John never would have liked that girl except to look at, he didn't change that much, she was a rude, prissy thing but Mary was dull. He should have written her that they needed to see other people and take a break but then they wouldn't have that hotel episode and Pa being able to yell at him. Really if Mary wasn't blind, Mary should have gone to college but he couldn't change that.  But again, as I see this so differently as an adult, Michael had the "bad city" change John and she just wouldn't fit in there. Months later, she would be back though.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, alexa said:

Yes, the issue is more that they gave everyone else nicer homes no matter what their situation, and not so much that Pa's house isn't fancy.  I think they are trying to reflect the Ingalls' constant struggles throughout the years by keeping their home and life simple--but I do agree I never understand why everyone else's house is so nice--even when there is little or no income source.

That was my thing too. I loved the little house (but not with James/Cassandra) but why did Widows have nicer homes, the post lady, any friend they had? Some were huge, really they all had large cabins or real houses. Who built the one like the Widow with the dishes lived in? A huge Victorian? Only Mr Edwards had a smaller, more run down home or it would have been really silly. They made less money or the same and always had nice things. Just a bit strange.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I felt the writers were trying to give Mary more "meat" so to speak and she came off a bit shrill. They knew once she went blind, she'd be shown less or be able to do as much. Although she got the only Emmy nod for acting, she was right that her time got less and less after she started teaching at the blind school. Getting married was a bad idea, having kids, only to lose one early and then later. They lost touch of the things that made people watch. I don't think anyone thought 2 blind parents would be able to raise a kid on their own and no one ever even broached it until Mary had a panic attack. Saving a child in a dust storm seemed to cure her from worrying about anything else though. 🙄

John never would have liked that girl except to look at, he didn't change that much, she was a rude, prissy thing but Mary was dull. He should have written her that they needed to see other people and take a break but then they wouldn't have that hotel episode and Pa being able to yell at him. Really if Mary wasn't blind, Mary should have gone to college but he couldn't change that.  But again, as I see this so differently as an adult, Michael had the "bad city" change John and she just wouldn't fit in there. Months later, she would be back though.

I kind of figured that it had to do with her going blind later too.  Today she is featured again...teaching at a school.  Just kind of funny to see so much Mary.  Lol. Totally agree about John...he would not have changed like that.

• Love 1

On the inheritance episode, why couldn’t Pa just return everything that they were talked into buying?  Why was he obligated to an organ that Nels ordered before the money came in?  I am so confused.  Both Nels and Harriet looked at him as if he was the one that came up with the idea to buy the items ahead of time.  

10 hours ago, alexa said:

On the inheritance episode, why couldn’t Pa just return everything that they were talked into buying?  Why was he obligated to an organ that Nels ordered before the money came in?  I am so confused.  Both Nels and Harriet looked at him as if he was the one that came up with the idea to buy the items ahead of time.  

That was odd, were returns not done in the 1800s? I stated before what they chose to keep was very expensive and no pockets were that deep in Walnut Grove (except maybe in part the Oleson's) to dig in to pay for it.  I'm not sure where they would put the organ in that small school but it might have been shown once again. Charle's "cash on the barrel" sometimes failed.

I just read the first cash register was 1870s and the first Macy's was 1853 built near mill workers but it failed after a few years. Would have been cool to to see a sign for that. 😉

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

That was odd, were returns not done in the 1800s? I stated before what they chose to keep was very expensive and no pockets were that deep in Walnut Grove (except maybe in part the Oleson's) to dig in to pay for it.  I'm not sure where they would put the organ in that small school but it might have been shown once again. Charle's "cash on the barrel" sometimes failed.

I just read the first cash register was 1870s and the first Macy's was 1853 built near mill workers but it failed after a few years. Would have been cool to to see a sign for that. 😉

I was so confused because I felt like the organ, others in the community like Nels could have gone in to help pay for it (and also how could the reverend be okay with this situation when he hit him up for the organ money before Pa even had the money--he should have felt obligated to help Charles in the end as well).  It was for the church, not Charles, and Nels is the one that said he ordered it even before Charles asked him to.  How is that his fault or obligation?  And why can't you return an organ or say you no longer want it?  Out of all of the expenses, that is the one I really couldn't understand.  As for the clothes, they wore them one day, and you can't tell me they can't be returned.  The gifts for each other, the watch and tools, I can see Pa wanting to pay off, but I can also see them returning them.  

This is the one time I felt like I couldn't blame Charles for being impulsive.  He kept trying to say he didn't have the money yet and noone cared.  I guess he could have argued more.  I also don't understand why the estate lawyer didn't figure out the estate before coming to Pa....that was just dumb.  lol

• Love 2

I hate "The Inheritance" - it would have been much more heartwarming if they found out in the end that they only got just enough money to pay for their purchases they already made, i.e., the organ, etc.  That final auction scene was just painful.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So I re-watched the one where Mary miscarries last night. Is it just me or do Ma and Pa seem way more emotional and distraught over this baby vs Baby Battering Ram?

Today I see some of the different Hallmark stations are carrying LH episodes and it’s a choice between Halloween Dream and Slyvia Part II. Decisions, decisions. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I was so confused because I felt like the organ, others in the community like Nels could have gone in to help pay for it (and also how could the reverend be okay with this situation when he hit him up for the organ money before Pa even had the money--he should have felt obligated to help Charles in the end as well).  It was for the church, not Charles, and Nels is the one that said he ordered it even before Charles asked him to.  How is that his fault or obligation?  And why can't you return an organ or say you no longer want it?  Out of all of the expenses, that is the one I really couldn't understand.  As for the clothes, they wore them one day, and you can't tell me they can't be returned.  The gifts for each other, the watch and tools, I can see Pa wanting to pay off, but I can also see them returning them.  

This is the one time I felt like I couldn't blame Charles for being impulsive.  He kept trying to say he didn't have the money yet and noone cared.  I guess he could have argued more.  I also don't understand why the estate lawyer didn't figure out the estate before coming to Pa....that was just dumb.  lol

They got the violin back once and I'm sure there was some kind of warranty with store owners and things they ordered. Confederate money? Really no one knew how broke he was? Don't hire that lawyer, lol.  Adam would have known better. The organ really benefited no one, nice to have but then who could play it? A show with Harriet and Toby was about that I think. I understood the moral they were pushing but wasn't written as well as others.  Charles would never let things get that out of hand and the Reverend as stated above, was NOT very reverend-like in pushing for an organ. What about the poor or a widows fund or something like that?

Rich isn't bad, the Ingall's didn't have be poor to be nice but maybe the Lord knew how crazy they would get. lol

Walton's had one similar one they might have copied since it was 5 years earlier : The Bequest (1973), except for instead of inheriting confederate money, Grandma Walton's already-spent bequest was eaten up medical debts and legal costs.

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Poor Carrie, her most lines were about pee.  Funny though how over all the years the show was on, the outhouse was a prop of sorts. No mention of Pa or Ma ever having to use it, never remember Mary or Laura and when poor Willie had to go, people would roll their eyes like "You don't go once a month?"

I agree with Michael that Karen's suggestion of "more grit" in the beginning wouldn't have caught on with fans as much, suspend reality was better to a point. They did just erase any issues of being sick or what happened during a storm or blizzard. I'm guessing smelly chamber pots or something else but I never understood why composting toilets like they use today (sawdust in a pail) wasn't used as an alternative closer to home.  I must admit when they were all snowed in for Xmas, Mary and others visiting, snow up the loft window, I thought, all those people in that tiny house, and no way to go to the bathroom.  Yes Michael was right, suspend reality. 😉

Edited by debraran
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I'm watching a Season 9 episode now. Billy Barty tries to get a regular job but Mrs. Oleson blocks him. Nancy falls in a well and of course only Billy Barty can save her. Everyone learns a valuable lesson about prejudice. 

for like the 20th time in the series

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm watching a Season 9 episode now. Billy Barty tries to get a regular job but Mrs. Oleson blocks him. Nancy falls in a well and of course only Billy Barty can save her. Everyone learns a valuable lesson about prejudice. 

Which makes no sense, because Willie was tall and skinny and seems like an obviously better choice.

My latest reason to hate on Pa is him reading Mary and Adam's mail to himself before reading it to them. Like the episode where Adam's father dies and his law firm sends Adam a letter. Adam and Mary are standing there saying, "What does it say?" while Pa reads the entire thing to himself and then indulges in several Dramatic Pauses before sharing it with them.

But then when he SHOULD give someone a heads-up (hello, Ma's dead Ma in the back of the wagon), he just shuts up.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

The perfect snob. When they went to Winoka and she was crying saying bye to Caroline, then goes to Winoka and is back to her usual snobby self, I love it

And shortly after being a snob again to Caroline, Harriet was the recipient of one of the best burns on the show. When her fellow waitress at the saloon tells Harriet to do something about her crow's feet, an insulted Harriet says those are laugh lines. And the waitress says: "Honey, nothing is that funny", leaving Harriet with the shocked Pikachu face. She was great at dishing out the insults and snobbery, but it also nice when someone gave her a taste of her own medicine.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

And shortly after being a snob again to Caroline, Harriet was the recipient of one of the best burns on the show. When her fellow waitress at the saloon tells Harriet to do something about her crow's feet, an insulted Harriet says those are laugh lines. And the waitress says: "Honey, nothing is that funny", leaving Harriet with the shocked Pikachu face. She was great at dishing out the insults and snobbery, but it also nice when someone gave her a taste of her own medicine.

She was good. I liked when she said to Caroline who was pregnant again, something like , "Willie and Nellie are just enough for me" and Caroline said "In the case of Nellie and Willie, I agree". Her face......lol

I wish the writers gave her a little more diversity and meat in a show more on her. She was great evolving in the blind school journey and of course in any emergency but the show with her old preacher fiance, you saw other dimensions. I wish we heard a little more about meeting Nel's or seen baby picture of Nellie when she was pregnant, just making them more than the shopkeepers. Every show that had them away from that I loved.

• Love 4

I loved all the nuances to Harriet. She could be a nasty bigot but then when she overheard Samson, it affected her. And then when she told off Larabee and Samson reached out to take her hand and smiled and you literally saw her grinch’s heart grow 3 sizes as she grinned back, took his hand and did that sweet little squeeze of their intertwined hands, that is one of the standout moments of the series. 

And in whatever plague episode where Nels and the kids come down with it and Harriet thinks Nels has stopped breathing and she tells him how much she loves him. Just little moments like that show the obvious love and affection between them.

Or her dunking newly-adopted daughter, Nancy, when she learned the truth about Nancy, Belinda, and the ice house.

• Love 6

Watching the Barn Burner episode. In the courtroom scene, the judge asks Rev. Alden to be foreman of the jury, which he declines because it wouldn't be appropriate. Then, of course, he nominates Charles, because if the defendant is accused of burning down Garvey's barn, it makes perfect sense for Garvey's best friend to be the jury foreman, rather than the preacher.

Also, Andy's stupid giant head bandage in this episode.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, jird said:

Watching the Barn Burner episode. In the courtroom scene, the judge asks Rev. Alden to be foreman of the jury, which he declines because it wouldn't be appropriate. Then, of course, he nominates Charles, because if the defendant is accused of burning down Garvey's barn, it makes perfect sense for Garvey's best friend to be the jury foreman, rather than the preacher.

Also, Andy's stupid giant head bandage in this episode.

Yes!!! When Rev. Alden picked Charles i said out loud "Of course it's Charles!!"

• Love 3
On 9/11/2020 at 5:29 PM, jason88cubs said:

Yes!!! When Rev. Alden picked Charles i said out loud "Of course it's Charles!!"

Because there is no man more decent, more honorable, not only in Walnut Grove, not only in the great state of Minnesota, not only in these United States, but in the entire known universe.  

Edited by Superclam
Grammah.
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2018/11/27/katherine-macgregor-remembered/

I tried to watch that family feud on you tube mentioned in above link, but she wasn't highlighted very much. (maybe it was just the clip I saw) I liked the above interview and agree with most of it. 

I also loved an interview she gave to Patrick Loubatière . It was different than the DVD ones, honest and refreshing. Katherine and Richard Bull said nice things about Jonathan Gilbert(smart, kind, good young man) and talked of his seemingly neglectful mom. I gave the book away but wish I kept it. I remember I he told a tidbit with Richard Bull said in his interview, things were "all about Melissa" and Jon was more "I'm done with this". I feel though it must have been much more. Sad, he just disappeared. Really it was a soft cover magazine type book but if you ever see it around at a discount, nice for LHOP fan.

prairie memories.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, alexa said:

Speaking of Harriet, I am watching the Blind Journey where she thinks she is meeting a St Louis elite, but she will soon find out that Hester Sue is not what she expected!  Lol

Or Dr Caleb Ledoux for that matter.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, debraran said:

Or Dr Caleb Ledoux for that matter.

I just caught this one for the first time ever. Whatever happened to him? They set it up like he would be a regular character, but he never appeared again. (Wikipedia has a brief mention about it.)

This was another "learn a valuable lesson about racism." episode. You could see Harriet's reaction coming from a mile away. 

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I just caught this one for the first time ever. Whatever happened to him? They set it up like he would be a regular character, but he never appeared again. (Wikipedia has a brief mention about it.)

This was another "learn a valuable lesson about racism." episode. You could see Harriet's reaction coming from a mile away. 

He was mentioned in passing in the next show I think, Doc Baker took Caroline to a plague ridden area and said he'd be helping at home (but memory is foggy) I don't think they felt at the time that anyone cared and without social media, letters took a long time to read or answer. I feel a mention that he went somewhere else would have been fine but really where could a great black surgeon go then except Walnut Grove?

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1

most awkward scene

when laura found jack who had passed away in the barn, charles comes in no shirt all sweaty, and laura hugs him and we see a close up shot of laura crying with charles sweat pouring on her and a great view of his nipple

just straight up awkward and uncomfortable

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

most awkward scene

when laura found jack who had passed away in the barn, charles comes in no shirt all sweaty, and laura hugs him and we see a close up shot of laura crying with charles sweat pouring on her and a great view of his nipple

just straight up awkward and uncomfortable

I felt that only because I thought Mr Landon thought more of this chest in that scene and it was a distraction from Jack. I mean everyone knows he liked how he looked and had those bare chest scenes but this was a heart-wrenching moment for most kids and adults.

Although I understood why Charles got her Bandit, I also understood Laura's reaction. A friend of mine lost one of her 2 dogs to illness and her partner wanted to replace him. A couple of weeks later they did but she did reluctantly and resented it for a while, the work, the way he wanted to play with her all the time and didn't mourn the other enough. We are all different that way but if my parents did that to me, I'd be upset too. (I could never be that mean though) : /

• Love 2