Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season 1 Episode 24 Founder's Day

Just watched this episode again the other day. And who do they have judging the pie contest? The one town resident that certainly doesn’t need any extra calories, Reverend Alden :D Give it to the malnourished mine worker with 6 kids, and let him take the remaining pies home (Which is how I suspect it might have gone down in real life).

I must say, I’m generally not a big fan of Chuck (Charles). But he really shined in this episode. It was kind of classy the way that he explained to Laura that being younger, he had an unfair advantage over Mr Tyler (Played by Forrest Tucker) and was just evening the odds, without outright suggesting that he threw the contest.

Not much to say today, and this is my first post since we have been reduced from a subforum to a thread. I hope this thread doesn’t die off as a result.

Edited by wanton87
punctuation
  • Love 4
On 1/24/2019 at 9:48 AM, wanton87 said:

Not much to say today, and this is my first post since we have been reduced from a subforum to a thread. I hope this thread doesn’t die off as a result.

I hope it doesn't either.  This has always been a creative subforum, even before PTV.  As for Charles, it's easier to concentrate on his life lessons  when he keeps his shirt on!

• Love 2

The Settler Fantasies Woven Into the Prairie Dresses

Excerpt:

The dresses evoke a certain nostalgia, a throwback to a time when femininity and women’s identity was sharply defined and didn’t have to be individually conjured or chosen. One was a homemaker, in the literal sense of making a home from scratch, and a wife, mother, and defender of the family. There’s a comforting familiarity to it. Lena Dunham told the New Yorker, “They really look like […] the dresses that characters in your favorite book would have worn.”

It’s a pleasant thought. But in Dunham’s likely “favorite book,” Ma is also startlingly, overtly racist, in ways that are inextricable from her brand of frontier femininity. “Why don’t you like Indians?” Laura asks her over corn cakes and molasses on the steps of their covered wagon, which Ma had laid out like a table, complete with a centerpiece of flowers in a tin can. “I just don’t like them,” Ma replies. “And don’t lick your fingers, Laura.”

Anyway, Ma assures her, “the Indians would not be here long.” The government would soon push the Native people west, she explained, once white settlers arrived. In moments like this, Ma is as active in developing her daughters’ racism and sense of ownership over the land—land that we now know the Ingalls family had no legal, let alone historical, right to claim—as she is in shaping their notions of how women should act, work, and dress.

This is no contradiction. Clothing is a civilizing force in Ma’s mind, one that serves to separate her children from the Native people they encounter. The bonnets she makes her girls wear are intended to protect their skin from darkening in the prairie sun. “I declare,” Ma says, “if you girls aren’t getting to look like Indians! Can I never teach you to keep your sunbonnets on?” When she interacts with Native people, Ma is first and foremost horrified at the perceived inappropriateness of their dress. “They wore fresh skunk skins,” she tells Pa, “and that’s all they wore.” One evening, as she prepares dinner in her newly-built house on land the Osage retained in a Reconstruction-era treaty with the federal government, Ma complains without irony, “Indians are getting so thick around here that I can’t look up without seeing one.”

• Love 1

We are still a family even though we are now just a thread. Just imagine us as now being Pa's two room shanty which he never bothered expanding, despite Grace, Albert, James, Cassandra etc...

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

This was before my time here, but it’s my understanding that the little house topic was reduced to a single thread over at the television without pity site (The predecessor to this site as I recall) and that it was an immensely popular thread none the less. I came from IMDB, and we had a fairly active little house forum over there, and I was really sorry to see it go. The members from the IMDB little house forum went on to a variety of different sites, but those that didn’t disappear altogether following the closure of IMDB, either ended up here, IMDB 2, or at MovieChat. IMDB 2 has a single thread, but no one ever posts there. MovieChat has some activity, but very little. That site doesn’t seem to have much of a future either.

I’m going through the little house series again, as I recently purchased the complete DVD set, so I’m hoping to be posting here more often as time goes on.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, wanton87 said:

This was before my time here, but it’s my understanding that the little house topic was reduced to a single thread over at the television without pity site (The predecessor to this site as I recall) and that it was an immensely popular thread none the less.

The title memorably called: "Ma, Pa and the mime who raped Sylvia: Little House on the Prairie"!

A counterpoint opinion from New York magazine to the article on the "prairie dress trend" I posted above:

The Pleasure of Sitting Out a Trend

• Love 3

I was watching the episode, I think it was called The Reincarnation of Nellie.  It's the episode where the Oleson's replaced Nellie with Nancy.  Nancy is jealous of Albert's girlfriend, who is getting the lead part in the annual spring fling or whatever it was called.  So, she "accidentally" locks her in the ice house overnight.  The poor girl had to be hospitalized at Doc Baker's office & miss school because of how cold it is in the ice house. What I did not understand is went was it so dangerous for her to be locked down there but not dangerous to be used as a jail. I can remember 3 men being locked down there as a jail, the racist barn burner, the little person who stole food and a doll & the land schemer.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Has anyone seen the last farewell on Amazon video? I watched it last night but it lowers the volume for the final scene during Onward Christian Soldiers.   I assume because it's a Christian song?  

Alegtoststandon , the actress in that episode who got locked in the ice box was Melora Hardin,  who played Jan on the Office. 

• Love 3

@halfpint ingals Yeah that's probably why it was muted. I "fondly" remember many stations in the South and Lower Midwest muting the "Jesus" in Professor Farnsworth's "Sweet Zombie Jesus" in Futurama. Same sort of principle for these places as their "Nig Urh free" edits of television shows that featured blacks that weren't servants, criminals or fools in the 1950s and 60s.

Inconsistencies drive me nuts. Was watching the episode where James and Cassandra move into the 'Little House', making it the 'Tiny House'.  James wants to try Albert's razor but Albert informs him that it was a gift from Pa and James was to not ever touch the razor. 

Next day, the Ingalls-Cooper kids are kept after school so 'Sister' Laura can lecture them on making more of an effort helping out around the Tiny House.  Afterwards, Albert meets some snobby girl who demands to know why James is tagging along with Albert.  While Albert takes off with the snobby girl, James rushes home to play with Albert's razor.' ...in the barn...next to the cow. Of course James drops Alberts prized straight edge blade and the cow steps on it & the pearl handle breaks.

Next day, Albert is looking for his razor and insists that James knows where it. No luck finding it or getting a confession from James..

Next scene, the Ingalls/Cooper kids are at the mercantile trying on new shoes.  Ma and Pa cannot afford to pay for all of the shoes so Albert is asked to wait till next week to get his. 

While this is going on, James is staring at a case with 2 razors in it, one identical to Albert's.  Camera pans back to Pa & Albert then back to the razor case, minus the pearl handled razor. 

Back at the 'Tiny House', James is filling the wood bin by the fireplace and discovers Alberts razor!  Cheers & apologizes until Albert notices that this is not his razor, his pearl handle razor had a bad knick on the blade.  Pa checks and declares this one to be brand new.  James admits to breaking Alberts then stealing this from the mercantile to make it right. James was sent up to the loft and Albert was sent outside to cool down.  Pa went up to talk with James, who kept muttering "I didn't mean it, Pa.".  I have no idea what that means.

Pa is now outside talking with Albert, who demands that James be punished.  Albert then begins complaining about how rough its been on him since the 2 extra kids have been crammed into the "Tiny House" and wishes that they had never come live with them. Pa stops Albert and said "it's a good thing Laura and  Carrie never felt that way when you moved in with us.". James obviously over hears this conversation and runs away.

I guess that both Pa and Albert forgot about the episode shortly after Albert moved in and Pa bought him a calf to raise.  Laura was very resentful of Albert taking up all of Pa's time & even cried that Albert is now calling him 'Pa', he's Her Pa!  Albert over hears this conversation and runs away.

• Love 8

What in tarnation is going on around here? 

I had to search for this thread.  Does no one realize how iconic this subject has been? 

Where is everyone?  I'm here, I'm here!

I still hate James. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 2/26/2019 at 5:02 PM, Cowgirl said:

Holy cow!  I hadn't heard about the Baby Grace case, so I looked it up.  How horrible!

Good God, I barely remembered it so I looked it up. My heart breaks, my stomach is sick...... both those animals should be dead. 

Watching the Turnbaugh Twins sometimes total disconnection from the fact they are playing a role and the other actors having to ad-lib at times so the scene can continue is always fun.

Oh, and will Grace take that high chair to school? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, andidante said:

I'm just wondering what happened to the podcast that Kim was doing. Has anyone heard why they stopped? 

I had forgotten all about the podcasts until this post reminded me. I remember the last time I went to play some of the older files, the link was broken. Some of them were actually pretty entertaining though, and it would be nice to see it make a comeback.

You have to wonder about Baby Grace Ingalls still being seen on-screen in that high chair long after she's um too old to be Baby Grace anymore. A few more years like that and it would remind viewers of those grown adults who get adult sized baby furniture made for them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I actually know Brenda and Wendi (Grace Ingalls). Both are the sweetest and kindest ladies on earth. Both are married and the mothers of teenagers (!!!). Here are recent photos of them - Brenda is on the left and Wendi is on the right in both pictures.

Brenda-and-Wendi-Turnbaugh-circa-2011-little-house-on-the-prairie-39201886-760-870.jpg

Brenda-and-Wendi-Grace-Turnbaugh-little-house-on-the-prairie-39194268-750-563.jpg

• Love 13

@libgirl2 Brenda and Wendi Turnbaugh are two of the most beautiful women i have ever seen. They stated on their old joint website that they are Christians. I hope no one holds that against them. I lost friends when i found a spiritual/religious purpose. @catlover79

• Love 3

Yes, they are Christians but NOT the type that you are talking about. They really do walk the walk as well as talk the talk. They are kind to everyone and are not judgmental. Both Brenda and Wendi are as gorgeous on the inside as they are on the outside.

• Love 3
On 3/17/2019 at 6:26 AM, alegtostandon said:

Inconsistencies drive me nuts. Was watching the episode where James and Cassandra move into the 'Little House', making it the 'Tiny House'.  James wants to try Albert's razor but Albert informs him that it was a gift from Pa and James was to not ever touch the razor. 

Next day, the Ingalls-Cooper kids are kept after school so 'Sister' Laura can lecture them on making more of an effort helping out around the Tiny House.  Afterwards, Albert meets some snobby girl who demands to know why James is tagging along with Albert.  While Albert takes off with the snobby girl, James rushes home to play with Albert's razor.' ...in the barn...next to the cow. Of course James drops Alberts prized straight edge blade and the cow steps on it & the pearl handle breaks.

Next day, Albert is looking for his razor and insists that James knows where it. No luck finding it or getting a confession from James..

Next scene, the Ingalls/Cooper kids are at the mercantile trying on new shoes.  Ma and Pa cannot afford to pay for all of the shoes so Albert is asked to wait till next week to get his. 

While this is going on, James is staring at a case with 2 razors in it, one identical to Albert's.  Camera pans back to Pa & Albert then back to the razor case, minus the pearl handled razor. 

Back at the 'Tiny House', James is filling the wood bin by the fireplace and discovers Alberts razor!  Cheers & apologizes until Albert notices that this is not his razor, his pearl handle razor had a bad knick on the blade.  Pa checks and declares this one to be brand new.  James admits to breaking Alberts then stealing this from the mercantile to make it right. James was sent up to the loft and Albert was sent outside to cool down.  Pa went up to talk with James, who kept muttering "I didn't mean it, Pa.".  I have no idea what that means.

Pa is now outside talking with Albert, who demands that James be punished.  Albert then begins complaining about how rough its been on him since the 2 extra kids have been crammed into the "Tiny House" and wishes that they had never come live with them. Pa stops Albert and said "it's a good thing Laura and  Carrie never felt that way when you moved in with us.". James obviously over hears this conversation and runs away.

I guess that both Pa and Albert forgot about the episode shortly after Albert moved in and Pa bought him a calf to raise.  Laura was very resentful of Albert taking up all of Pa's time & even cried that Albert is now calling him 'Pa', he's Her Pa!  Albert over hears this conversation and runs away.

Yes these things drive me a little nuts at times until I remind myself it’s just a tv show.  Haha. There should have been an episode called “whatever happened to Rev Alden’s wife”. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I do hate inconsistencies. I also hate how there are so many cast people who only show up for one episode and then are never seen again. It would be nicer if they at least were in the background as opposed to presenting some issue for Laura or someone to resolved and disappearing forever.

• Love 3

Yeah, like how a random kid shows up out of nowhere and we're supposed to think the kid is besties with one of the girls. And then we never see or heard of them again.

Or how a student we never saw before gets their problems solved. And then we never see them in the classroom scenes again.

• Love 3

Yeah, continuity was never this shows strong suit, but to be fair, that seemed to be typical of many shows of the time. I can’t say if newer shows are any better, as I don’t watch modern television.

I like the show enough that I’m able to overlook it. I even liked the later seasons. I even liked (gasp) little house: a new beginning 😜 At least the few episodes that I have seen.

• Love 1

I preferred Baby Grace to Carrie. I'd still support a special today in which one or both Turnbaughs show us what Grace is up to as an adult. Even though TV Mary went mline, hopefully TV Grace is spared the severe diabetes that killed Real Grace.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, like how a random kid shows up out of nowhere and we're supposed to think the kid is besties with one of the girls. And then we never see or heard of them again.

Or how a student we never saw before gets their problems solved. And then we never see them in the classroom scenes again.

this exactly. I do think the way they handled it was typical of the time, but still can't help but wish they'd paid up to have some regular extras who get to be the play mate of the week with an issue for Laura to resolve before going back to the background as opposed to "never seen again."

On the Albert razor example noted above, it's especially odd. I assume writers have changed and the current writers didn't go back and watch old episodes--maybe they could not have easily done it given tech at the time. . . but this was M. Landon's show and he's involved in both episodes and not just an actor on the show. You'd think somebody would look at the script and say "what about that cow showing episode with Albert and Laura? how about we change the lines . . ." A little bit of rewording would have fixed the issue (remember how you felt when you first joined our family? and how Laura felt at first??)

• Love 2

Watching the pilot again. Poor Jack. First that dog had to run along/behind the wagon in the snow. Then during that river crossing, Laura asked if Jack could ride in the wagon. Pa said he'd be alright. Poor Jack thought twice, then gamely jumped into the water. If the horses could barely make it across, I don't know why Pa wasn't more concerned about poor Jack!

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, Mikita said:

Watching the pilot again. Poor Jack. First that dog had to run along/behind the wagon in the snow. Then during that river crossing, Laura asked if Jack could ride in the wagon. Pa said he'd be alright. Poor Jack thought twice, then gamely jumped into the water. If the horses could barely make it across, I don't know why Pa wasn't more concerned about poor Jack!

does it explain why poor Jack can't ride in the wagon???

54 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

does it explain why poor Jack can't ride in the wagon???

No explanation at all. I guess Jack was a pet, but not a pet. They literally left the house in the big woods in winter, Jack's short legs were buried in the snow. They drove off shouting "come on Jack" and he ran behind the wagon. Every scene thereafter was of Jack running alongside the wagon or behind it. Then came the crossing the rushing river scene. I don't see any reason that Jack couldn't have ridden in the back of the wagon with the girls some of the time! Especially crossing that river.

• Love 3
On 9/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, Mikita said:

No explanation at all. I guess Jack was a pet, but not a pet. They literally left the house in the big woods in winter, Jack's short legs were buried in the snow. They drove off shouting "come on Jack" and he ran behind the wagon. Every scene thereafter was of Jack running alongside the wagon or behind it. Then came the crossing the rushing river scene. I don't see any reason that Jack couldn't have ridden in the back of the wagon with the girls some of the time! Especially crossing that river.

Oh,  my heart always was so sad for poor Jack.   He was not a big dog,  that terrain probably tore up his poor paws.  Almost drowning in the river.   Being used as a guard dog against wolves and Indians.  Almost being shot by Pa because of that stupid raccoon Mary brought home to replace Laura's broken doll.   Laura yelling at him and telling him what a bad dog he was for getting stickers in his fur.   To this day,  I cannot watch that episode.  Ma yelling at  Laura to remove the stickers, saying 'Jack is your dog'.  Why are all the "pets" Laura's? Jack the Dog, Bunny the Pony, Jasper the Raccoon, even that goat. 

Fast forward then to Adult Laura.   She acted terrified of the bugs someone presented as a project in class.   She was against that orangutan staying at their house.   

• Love 4

Here is the notice from INSP:

INSP Bids Farewell to the Ingalls Family.

Like you, we hate goodbyes, but sadly, we must say farewell to Little House on the Prairie on INSP.

Over the years, we loved living the adventures, heartbreaks, and sometimes, hilarious antics of the Ingalls family, their friends, and certain adversaries (Not mentioning any names, but you know who you are, curly-headed blonde girl!).

From Ma and Pa, Laura and Almanzo, to the incorrigible Nellie Olsen (There! We said it!) and her scheming mother, Harriet, parting is sad, but oh, the great times we had.

As we move towards the final episode airing on INSP on Friday, September 13th, let’s take a walk down memory lane with these blogs, quizzes, trivia and other Little House fun.

• Useful 1

Just saw the "Circus" episode.  My how things have changed!  Nel's sister the "Fat Lady" drew all kinds of attention, as she would have even in the 1970's.  Shockingly huge!

Today, she didn't even seem all that big to me.  She looked like every woman in Walmart.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 9/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, Cheezwiz said:

There was an episode with an organutan? Wow. Don't remember that one!

It was one of the later seasons when Laura was married & the niece,  Jenny, was  living with them.  Mr. Edwards was on his way home from Mankato & met an elderly man (if I remember correctly,  this guy had been in several episodes as different characters).   The man had a heart attack or something & asked Mr.  Edwards to take care of his little girl,  Blanche, who was asleep in the wagon.   Edwards thought it was a child & was surprised to find an orangutan.  Of course,  he took it back to Walnut Grove.  Jenny talked Laura into allowing Blanche to live with them, she took Blanche to school & of course,  Nellie Jr. created a situation & Mrs. Oleson called the authorities.   But,  Laura who as a kid, had 2 dogs,  a horse,  a raccoon,  a goat plus played in the creek with crabs,  loved going fishing,  she was afraid of Blanche.   After her nose job,  Laura turned into a real spoil sport!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1