Type keyword(s) to search

The Outer Worlds

starri
  • Start Topic

Fallout....in SPAAAAACE!

Obsidian is really needling Bethesda for the whole Fallout 76 debacle.  As well as how they were screwed over New Vegas.

And good for them.  I think I'll pick this one up.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:40 PM, starri said:

Obsidian is really needling Bethesda for the whole Fallout 76 debacle.  As well as how they were screwed over New Vegas.

The opening narrative is not too subtle.

They've announced that there's no crafting in the game, because it didn't make sense in a story about people being slave to late capitalism.

Sweet music to my crafting-hating ears.

I'm about finished my first playthrough.

In a lot of ways, this has been the game Andromeda should have been.  Despite some of the plot similarities, the timing of the development doesn't seem like it they were setting out to ape it.

The interactions with the crew aren't as deep as any of the Mass Effect games, so it doesn't quite hit the same emotional beats, but it does sell the "crew=chosen family" very well.  I only wish there were romance options.

I started on this game the other day and it's fun, but feels a bit shallow. It has a similar problem to Fallout and Skyrim, in that the world simply doesn't have many interesting people in it. A lot of games suffer from this - they make an interesting world but forget to write interesting characters.

The combat feels very janky, and the awareness and reactions of the AI is, frankly, lousy. I've already lost count of the number of times I realise one of the bad guys is standing right next to me, shooting at one of my companions and completely ignoring me.

But it is a game with potential. I like a lot of the humour, and the corporate dystopia setting. The aesthetics are nice - sort of Mass Effect with a Bioshock twist. It's the sort of game where I think the sequel could be really, really good.