Type keyword(s) to search

The Leftovers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

My husband and I are currently re-watching The Leftovers series, especially because of my utter dismissal of the first season.  I have no great explanation for why I rejected the show at that time -- but I do remember being extremely frustrated by the nihilist cult and even more annoyed with the Holy Wayne sub-plot (I simply could not be bothered by emerging religions).  Oh, I also did not care for the initial opening sequence.  Something about it turned me waaaay off, I dunno why...

So, during most of the first season episodes I wandered around our apartment and did various chores, while my (then) boyfriend was rapt with must-see, appointment television -- occasionally, he would beseech me to give The Leftovers another chance.

I think the episode that reveals how Laurie used to be Patti's therapist finally got me to sit down on the couch.  We haven't reached that episode upon re-watch, yet.

I'm looking forward to the whole thing.

On a side note, I marvel at the shows that we were watching concurrently, between 2013 - 2015.  Rectify, The Comeback (s.2), Parks and Rec, The Leftovers, Mad Men, (great) Game of Thrones, Hannibal (for God's sake!), TWD (the Terminus years) -- I mean, how is it possible?

*Sigh*

I can't wait for the new season of the Terror to premier.  I'm afraid I'm breaking the re-watch seal on several shows that I intended to save for much later, in an effort to stay sane.

Edited by zobot81

So this might be a dumb question but I recently got into this show and I am wondering when does it get great? I started watching after seeing Carrie C*** in Fargo and I'm 4 episodes in and so far it is a good show. But I keep reading articles about how it was one of the best shows of the last decade and one of the best HBO shows ever. But so far I am not seeing it. Am I just not picking up on something, or is this a Parks and Rec/ Halt and Catch Fire thing where the first season is the weakest? Or are the good ones just around the corner? Because Deadwood is one of my favourite shows ever and if the first couple of EPs were like this I would have never loved it as much as I do.

• Love 1

The second half of the first season is much better than the first half.  As a fan of Carrie C***, you should really appreciate episode 6, "Guest", and the final two episodes of the season are strong.  But I'd say the second and third seasons are where the show gets its reputation as one of the best shows of the decade.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/21/2020 at 7:45 PM, Domestic Assassin said:

The second half of the first season is much better than the first half.  As a fan of Carrie C***, you should really appreciate episode 6, "Guest", and the final two episodes of the season are strong.  But I'd say the second and third seasons are where the show gets its reputation as one of the best shows of the decade.

I'm 9 episodes in now and it is definitely getting more interesting. And you are right 6 was really good. Plus I really liked how episode 9 (the pre departure episode) there was a call back to episode 6. Since at Nora's conference there was a sign on the wall about how one of the seminars was about pre-installed departure. And after watching that actually happen it got me thinking about how if fetuses got departed it must have really fucked up people's views on if a fetus is a person or not.

Also I am glad they didn't actually show people disappearing, since it would probably either look like Janet from the Good Place or like people who got snapped in Infinity War.

• Love 1

About half way through season 2 and there is a lot of great stuff. Also as a huge Lost fan I find it hilarious that for one day Evangeline (Evie's full name based on their wifi name) lived next to Lily.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Made it through the show back in March. It was weird, for a lot of season 3 I didn't really know what was going on but they still managed to tell some really beautiful stories about people. Especially that last episode I could not look away. Also this show totally changed what I think about when I hear God Only Knows and Where is my Mind.

I am not sure it was as good as some of the really amazing HBO shows (Deadwood is still my favourite) but I enjoyed watching it. Plus Justin Theroux totally redeemed himself, since before this I mostly knew him as the guy who wrote Iron Man 2 (which is like the worst MCU movie).

• Useful 1

Just got HBO via my brother...what a guy! And I watched the Beforeigners, which I can't wait for the second season, and was suggested to watch this. I was always intrigued enough to watch the next episode. I loved how they paced it, going back and forth to clear up the whys of the characters. On the whole, I got the feels, had some deep thoughts, wild dreams and ended up being very much at peace at the end. What a ride. That is how he keeps getting work. I never watched Lost.

• Love 1
(edited)

I’ve just started watching season 1 and am not all that interested.  I’m thinking of skipping to season 2.  But, I’m reading here that the latter part of season 1 gets better.  …….It did get better. Powered through season 1.  May take a break before season 2.  ………

If anyone knows, when Kevin took Patti to the secluded cabin, how did he get there?  Later Matt picks him up and they leave together leaving no vehicle at the cabin.  Dean appeared there, but was Dean really there?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

There's pretentious, and there's The Leftovers. Just finished B.J. and the A.C. Seems most of the initial reaction to season 1 so far, particularly this episode, is either how much they hated the show or how you need to read the freaking book. Yeesh. I'll say this though: the Internet drama among the comments alone are far more entertaining than the show itself. Reddit praised this show to high heaven, of course (because that's what they do, circlejerking), but I've yet to see any reason for my investment in this show.

I guess I'll put up with this show for two seasons, then drop it if it doesn't satisfy me by then.

Edited by MagnusHex

Andy Greenwald and Mina Kimes revisit the finale and the show as a whole in the Stick the Landing podcast.

https://www.theringer.com/2024/2/21/24079022/did-the-leftovers-stick-the-landing

Both rave about the show, though they say you have to get through season 1 to love the show.

They both conclude that the show is about continuing with life in the face of loss, uncertainty.

Like that's some unique existential nugget of wisdom.

But I guess all the weird events of the show is suppose to demonstrate to the characters and us viewers that "shit happens, move on?"