Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On another topic, Rita Moreno (Frances Goren, naturally!) is also in the new football comedy 80 For Brady, based on a true story, apparently.

It also stars Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field. (Kind of like social media comparing this cast to The Golden Girls!)

Not at all a football/Tom Brady fan, but at least the trailer looks amusing enough.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Had no idea it was on!

But ""Scared Crazy" from S5 just ended on sister-channel WE.

I thought I was watching 'Scared Crazy' on DVR but couldn't fast forward through the ads and realized, holy cow, I'm watching it live.

Last week, I was knee-deep watching mothership on DVR and when I got home from work that night, the same episodes were live marathoning on Sundance/WE/BBC/Paramount, can't remember which one. And I mean, I have all the episodes on DVR and I still felt cheated 😁😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, TakomaSnark said:

I thought I was watching 'Scared Crazy' on DVR but couldn't fast forward through the ads and realized, holy cow, I'm watching it live.

Last week, I was knee-deep watching mothership on DVR and when I got home from work that night, the same episodes were live marathoning on Sundance/WE/BBC/Paramount, can't remember which one. And I mean, I have all the episodes on DVR and I still felt cheated 😁😁

I just looked at the TV Listings and CI wasn't on Sundance at all tonight. Movies, then Columbo and Monk. Do you get a different feed?

And yeah, I know Sundance does the marathons on Mondays and Tuesdays, then WE does it on Thursdays. For a time, WE only showed a few episodes on Thursdays before Criminal Minds, but it re-gained its former long marathon status late last year. Not complaining. LOL.

• Applause 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

I just looked at the TV Listings and CI wasn't on Sundance at all tonight. Movies, then Columbo and Monk. Do you get a different feed?

And yeah, I know Sundance does the marathons on Mondays and Tuesdays, then WE does it on Thursdays. For a time, WE only showed a few episodes on Thursdays before Criminal Minds, but it re-gained its former long marathon status late last year. Not complaining. LOL.

I think YouTubeTV is being weird. It is presenting it as 'live' when I click down to see what else is live as I watch - stored programs aren't supposed to show up in that menu, even if you're watching them. In theory, this menu should present, when I scroll far enough, that Columbo is on Sundance. But for some reason, it's advertising that CI is live right now.

It was a CI mirage! My apologies!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Watching CI this morning on Sundance - Maledictus was on, that’s a very weird episode, the relationship between Kenny and Martha was creepy, I couldn’t tell if there was incest there or not, I have a feeling there was. I’ve always thought that Kenny poisoning his mom was a very sophisticated murder method for a young kid. What a strange episode.

Next up, Badge, excellent episode with evil sociopathic witch Terri Randolph, I love how Goren outsmarted her and got her to incriminate herself. I also loved Goren going through the blood splatter and determining the scene was staged, this episode really had Goren at his finest. However I will always be pissed off at how poorly they did Van Buren’s cameo - it really didn’t make her look good that she was defending Randolph, no way would Van Buren tolerate Randolph beating up suspects and it really reflected poorly on Van Buren. It was nice seeing Goren, Eames and Carver have scenes with Van Buren, but I wish they had done Van Buren’s cameo better. 

• Like 3

However I will always be pissed off at how poorly they did Van Buren’s cameo - it really didn’t make her look good that she was defending Randolph, no way would Van Buren tolerate Randolph beating up suspects and it really reflected poorly on Van Buren. It was nice seeing Goren, Eames and Carver have scenes with Van Buren, but I wish they had done Van Buren’s cameo better. 

Yes! The writers really did Van Buren dirty there. I thought it was very OOC for her.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes! The writers really did Van Buren dirty there. I thought it was very OOC for her.

Yes, Van Buren never tolerated unprofessional behavior from her detectives, and she wouldn’t have tolerated it from Randolph. And it really made her look bad that she was defending Randolph’s character. It was a really poor way to write in Van Buren.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

"What fanatics try to do to us with guns and bombs, you do with an accounting trick! Don't for a minute think you deserve anything better than they do!'

God, I love you Bobby.

And I loved the staging of that scene with the perp literally trapped in a corner as he tells Goren the police need him. The symbolism of a cornered rat in the flesh.

And yes, I adored Bobby's righteous anger there.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

For anyone that does not venture into the SVU forum, this was posted in the Media thread there.

Someone decided to rank every Law & Order detective in the franchise (but they totally forgot Max Greevey and Phil Ceretta from the Mothership's first two seasons!).

See if you agree or disagree with the rankings!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ranked-every-law-order-detective-214603713.html?a20_comeback_from_auth=1

I saw this on Reddit. My top 5 would be Briscoe, Goren, Green, Stabler and Benson.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Mine: Briscoe, Goren, Eames, Logan, Greene [sorry, SVU peeps, no top 5 for you in my list!].

As I posted on the SVU forum - Briscoe, Munch, Goren, Green, Logan are my top 5. If I had to do a top 10, it would probably be Eames, Lupo, Fin, Cerreta and maybe Carisi. Bottom 5 would be Nina Cassady aka Beauty Queen from the Mothership, Kat, Lake and Muncy from SVU and Bishop from CI. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

As I posted on the SVU forum - Briscoe, Munch, Goren, Green, Logan are my top 5. If I had to do a top 10, it would probably be Eames, Lupo, Fin, Cerreta and maybe Carisi. Bottom 5 would be Nina Cassady aka Beauty Queen from the Mothership, Kat, Lake and Muncy from SVU and Bishop from CI. 

Munch would be around #6 on my list...

• Like 2

CI marathon on WE today - first up was Slither, an episode with a good start and an interesting premise that was ruined by introducing Nicole into the plot, that was unnecessary and ruined an otherwise good episode, and at the end when the perp was killed apparently by Nicole no one tried to chase after Nicole - Goren, a Eames, Carver and a couple of other officers just stood around the body instead of chasing after Nicole. Weird.

Now I’m on Watch, with serial killer cousins Art and Duane, good episode - Logan and Barek’s investigation was good, I liked Logan’s knowledge of airplanes, and I liked how they tracked down Duane and Art as the perps. Art’s dad was a jackass and an abusive bully it seemed like, not surprising that Art turned out the way he did and that Duane wound up hating him - interesting dynamic. 

• Like 3
On 1/24/2023 at 12:30 AM, WendyCR72 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ranked-every-law-order-detective-214603713.html?a20_comeback_from_auth=1

Rubbish. Goren is either 2 or 3, or tying with Benson, depending on whether it's early SVU  or late SVU.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:05 PM, WendyCR72 said:

And I noticed, as Logan and Goren were leaving before that line, how Bobby gave Alex a little wave. So dorky but cute.

He also mouths "Thank you" to her for the info. :-)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Shadow Lass said:

He also mouths "Thank you" to her for the info. :-)

I never noticed that! I'll have to look closer next time! 😊

9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

CI marathon on WE today - first up was Slither, an episode with a good start and an interesting premise that was ruined by introducing Nicole into the plot, that was unnecessary and ruined an otherwise good episode, and at the end when the perp was killed apparently by Nicole no one tried to chase after Nicole - Goren, a Eames, Carver and a couple of other officers just stood around the body instead of chasing after Nicole. Weird.

Now I’m on Watch, with serial killer cousins Art and Duane, good episode - Logan and Barek’s investigation was good, I liked Logan’s knowledge of airplanes, and I liked how they tracked down Duane and Art as the perps. Art’s dad was a jackass and an abusive bully it seemed like, not surprising that Art turned out the way he did and that Duane wound up hating him - interesting dynamic. 

Still is a shame that Brad Renfro (Duane) would be dead only 3 or so years after that episode.

• Love 2

And for all these years, I thought molds of actors faces/bodies were made to make rubber replicas for corpses on the L&O shows.

Nope!

Here is a video of the make-up artist, Steve Lawrence, detailing how the corpse in the S10 episode, "Cadaver" (remember "Popeye"/Joseph Sblotnick, the corpse dressed in Ben Langston's clothes?), came to be - with the actual actor.

• Useful 2
41 minutes ago, Sigmagirl said:

They got it right with Bishop at dead last, but Wheeler should have been down there with her, and Nichols should have been higher and Falacci a lot higher. Stevens and Barek are about where they should be.

Yeah, as I said, I was surprised to see Wheeler ranked ahead of Falacci, since it seemed like so many preferred Wheeler's temp replacement to her!

The opposite of Bishop/Eames, as it were.

Glad that Goren and Eames both made the Top 10, though!

• Like 3

I came across an old article, detailing many actors and actresses who appeared on the Law & Order franchise that have since passed away.

Many, I knew about (Paul Sorvino, Ned Eisenberg), but one I didn't know was Bruce MacVittie, who played Arnie in "Semi Professional" in Season 1 and the corrupt judge whose wife was murdered in "Courtship" in Season 7!

(His character on Homicide: Life On The Street in "Subway" from Season 6 was the one suspected to have pushed Vincent D'Onofrio's character, John Lange, into a subway track to later face certain death.)

Per the article, MacVittie died on May 7, 2022, so less than a year ago.

ETA: In that same article (see the link above!), it also lists Richard Bright. He was the grieving widower in the Season 2 episode, "Malignant", who lost his wife, Claudine, to ovarian cancer (and gave her an overdose to end her suffering).

Apparently, he died in February 2006 after being struck by a bus. How awful.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

ETA: In that same article (see the link above!), it also lists Richard Bright. He was the grieving widower in the Season 2 episode, "Malignant", who lost his wife, Claudine, to ovarian cancer (and gave her an overdose to end her suffering).

Apparently, he died in February 2006 after being struck by a bus. How awful.

And Richard Bright was married to Rutanya Alda, who played Rose in CI's 'In The Dark' (aka the 'Stone Baby' episode), and also appeared in the mothership's 'Vengeance' (S2) and 'Challenged' (S19).

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

And Richard Bright was married to Rutanya Alda, who played Rose in CI's 'In The Dark' (aka the 'Stone Baby' episode), and also appeared in the mothership's 'Vengeance' (S2) and 'Challenged' (S19).

Okay, I didn't know that, either! So, in some cases, the Law & Order franchise was a family deal!

On another note, WE is now airing S6. "The War At Home" is the 5:00 p.m. episode, the one with Fran Drescher in a dramatic role as the victim's mother. As I have said, I think she actually did well there.

Then all the remaining episodes are Logan and Wheeler episodes. I never realized how many more appearances they had in Season 6, or so it seems.

• Like 3

I just watched But Not Forgotten, this is an all time great CI episode, very complex with some great twists but everything made sense in the end. I loved the twist that the missing woman’s brother was a hitman and that he was killed because he killed the wrong lawyer for the mob, and that Earl was the one who killed the hitman then married his widow, great detective work in piecing it all together. It was a good final twist that Isobel knew all along about what happened and wanted Earl to get caught. I wondered if Earl would ever be charged for his role in Frieda’s murder or if Freida’s body would ever be found. Really a great episode, so many good twists. 

• Like 5
On 2/2/2023 at 2:14 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Many, I knew about (Paul Sorvino, Ned Eisenberg), but one I didn't know was Bruce MacVittie, who played Arnie in "Semi Professional" in Season 1 and the corrupt judge whose wife was murdered in "Courtship" in Season 7!

(His character on Homicide: Life On The Street in "Subway" from Season 6 was the one suspected to have pushed Vincent D'Onofrio's character, John Lange, into a subway track to later face certain death.)

Per the article, MacVittie died on May 7, 2022, so less than a year ago.

I knew Bruce had died because he was on my high school's Facebook page--he was in my graduating class, Cranston East High School Class of 1974. Wasn't friends with him, but you always heard about him because he was in the school theatre group.

• Useful 4
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Bobby Goren is so damn cute. 

Eames "I just told the captain that I'm pregnant. He said when the time comes, he'll set you up with a temporary partner."

Goren "Oh no! I didn't even think of that!"

Poor Bobby. It really was a tough (albeit short) road for him while Eames was AWOL and Bishop didn't "get" him.

1 hour ago, Shadow Lass said:

I knew Bruce had died because he was on my high school's Facebook page--he was in my graduating class, Cranston East High School Class of 1974. Wasn't friends with him, but you always heard about him because he was in the school theatre group.

Wow, that's really cool, @Shadow Lass! Same graduating class, wow! 😊 I know you said you weren't friends, but did you know him at all?

A shame he died so young.

7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I just watched But Not Forgotten, this is an all time great CI episode, very complex with some great twists but everything made sense in the end. I loved the twist that the missing woman’s brother was a hitman and that he was killed because he killed the wrong lawyer for the mob, and that Earl was the one who killed the hitman then married his widow, great detective work in piecing it all together. It was a good final twist that Isobel knew all along about what happened and wanted Earl to get caught. I wondered if Earl would ever be charged for his role in Frieda’s murder or if Freida’s body would ever be found. Really a great episode, so many good twists. 

And, as I said before, the actor that played Earl in "But Not Forgotten" in S3 also played the guy hired to beat up "DuPont" in "The Extra Man" in S1 but ended up beating up Felix Perez, instead.

(And I liked that scene, too, since it was sort of funny to see Alex hide her face in her hands as Bobby pointed out the mistaken identity to the hired goon!)

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Poor Bobby. It really was a tough (albeit short) road for him while Eames was AWOL and Bishop didn't "get" him.

Wow, that's really cool, @Shadow Lass! Same graduating class, wow! 😊 I know you said you weren't friends, but did you know him at all?

A shame he died so young.

And, as I said before, the actor that played Earl in "But Not Forgotten" in S3 also played the guy hired to beat up "DuPont" in "The Extra Man" in S1 but ended up beating up Felix Perez, instead.

(And I liked that scene, too, since it was sort of funny to see Alex hide her face in her hands as Bobby pointed out the mistaken identity to the hired goon!)

The guy who played Earl now has a recurring role on SVU as Chief McGrath - he’s been in numerous L&O episodes and is always an unlikable character. 

• Useful 1
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

The guy who played Earl now has a recurring role on SVU as Chief McGrath - he’s been in numerous L&O episodes and is always an unlikable character. 

Typecasting sucks, but in some cases like this, it can be lucrative, so I doubt the actor minds too much!

• Like 2

"Rocket Man" from S6 was just on an hour or so ago, and I still love the little exchange about type A personalities that Ross/Goren have and, as G/E are leaving the observation room, Bobby asks Alex, "Do you think I'm angry?" as Alex just smiles as they exit.

Also like Alex's "oh, really?!" look when the male astronaut that was riding the exercise bike is getting in the elevator and shouts how women should never have been let into the NSA program as they just screwed everything up.

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone is interested, but the founder of the Find A Death website (about celebrity deaths, the whens, wheres, and hows, etc.), Scott Michaels, now does videos about some of them.

A recent one was about Charles Rocket, most (in)famously known for dropping the F-Bomb on SNL in the early '80s (and being fired), but mentioning it here since he played Donnie/Johnny (still can't figure out his name) in "Pas De Deux" from Season 3, who conned the world's dumbest chemistry teacher, Margie, into robbing banks for him.

If you want to know more about Charles Rocket, here you go. BTW, the SNL moment is in the video, too:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

He isn't lying in that video title when including the word tragic especially at the end of his life. I'm subscribed to Scott's YT channel and a member of the FAD Facebook group. After finding his FAD site for the first time eons ago and going to it frequently just to read the stories about the different people who were listed there at the time.

I remember seeing Charles pop up in different stuff I'd watch over the years not knowing about his SNL history until much later when learning about it online. I realize when he dropped the F bomb on live TV in the early 80's that it was a different time meaning that it was a much bigger deal. I don't really remember his episode of CI though so I'll have to watch it on Peacock when I get a chance. There are a few pictures of him online where it seemed like his eyes looked like they were kind of revealing how he was really feeling at the times they were taken. It makes me a bit sad seeing them knowing what wound up happening years later. He had to be in a bad place at the end.

• Like 2

The episode Charles Rocket was in, "Pas De Deux", is from S3, episode 13, so that should help in the Peacock search, @Jaded.

On another topic, as I type, WE is airing the S7 premiere, "Amends", where Alex looks into who really murdered her husband. And even if she should not be investigating, at least the show gave lip service to Alex not taking Joe's name, so she would not be connected.

Love the talk as Goren (!) drives the SUV and his whole "whackjob" rant in the evidence lockup to help Eames find the missing evidence related to her husband's case.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The episode Charles Rocket was in, "Pas De Deux" is from S3, episode 13, so that should help in the Peacock search, @Jaded.

On another topic, as I type, WE is airing the S7 premiere, "Amends", where Alex looks into who really murdered her husband. And even if she should not be investigating, at least the show gave lip service to Alex not taking Joe's name, so she would not be connected.

Love the talk as Goren (!) drives the SUV and his whole "whackjob" rant in the evidence lockup to help Eames find the missing evidence related to her husband's case.

'This isn't... another one of your puzzles' is such an expertly deployed line delivery. Kathryn deserved an Emmy nom for this one.

ETA: Oh my god, I pulled it up to watch again now and without even looking - for the first time - I realized that is Luis from Sesame Street as Rodolfo. Probably because of watching clips of him after passing not long ago, the voice just jumped out at me!

Edited by TakomaSnark
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

'This isn't... another one of your puzzles' is such an expertly deployed line delivery. Kathryn deserved an Emmy nom for this one.

Yes. As I have said a billion times, I love Bobby, but I really enjoy "Amends" to see Alex/Kathryn Erbe shine a bit more.

2 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

ETA: Oh my god, I pulled it up to watch again now and without even looking - for the first time - I realized that is Luis from Sesame Street as Rodolfo. Probably because of watching clips of him after passing not long ago, the voice just jumped out at me!

And ironically? The other CI appearance he had was...in the other episode we had just discussed, "Pas De Deux" (the Charles Rocket episode!).

Talk about odd timing!

• Like 3
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

That’s another episode that frustrates me. Was I supposed to feel sorry for the punk that killed the “witnesses” against his dad about Alex’s husband’s murder? His dad wasn’t framed; he willingly took the rap to protect his nephew or whatever that was the real killer. That asshole didn’t get even, all he did was deprive another child of his father.

No pity for Alex’s husband’s real killer either. So you found God and became a doctor. Big whoop. Doesn’t make up for getting away with murder.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
35 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

No pity for Alex’s husband’s real killer either. So you found God and became a doctor. Big whoop. Doesn’t make up for getting away with murder

Yep, which is exactly what Alex told Doc. If he were truly sorry, he would have turned himself in and confessed.

• Like 3

The Sundance marathon just concluded with "Want". All my opinions of this freaky episode still stand.

I will never understand why Bobby felt at all sorry for John Tagman, the freak.

I am on Team Alex when we learn of Tagman's fate at the end.

And Neil Patrick Harris did do a good job.

But this is one episode that just skeeves me out, which says a lot, considering how bleak Season 4 is altogether.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The Sundance marathon just concluded with "Want". All my opinions of this freaky episode still stand.

But this is one episode that just skeeves me out, which says a lot, considering how bleak Season 4 is altogether.

I’ll will never understand why Goren chose to go to bat for that sicko piece of human waste Tagman. Tagman was a sick fuck who tortured two women, killing one and leaving another permanently brain damaged - he drilled into their skulls, poured hot water on their brains and ate part of his victims calf muscle. What a sick freak. If Tagman had been psychotic or unable to comprehend his actions were wrong, I would understand not wanting to execute him, but that wasn’t the case, he knew exactly what he was doing, carried out his crimes with cold precision and he knew it was wrong as he felt bad about it afterwards. I’m not one to support the death penalty for a lot of cases - but Tagman deserved it, premeditated torture murder is as heinous as it gets.  
I love Goren, but I have no idea why he cared about what happened to Tagman and got so upset with Carver about it. Goren was really off at the start of season 4 between his sympathy for Tagman and his sympathy for the sicko woman in episode 1 of that season.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 2/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

Bobby Goren is so damn cute. 

Eames "I just told the captain that I'm pregnant. He said when the time comes, he'll set you up with a temporary partner."

Goren "Oh no! I didn't even think of that!"

And the way Eames said "he hugged me." And the look on Eames and Goren's faces.  One of my favorite small moments from the enitre series.

Edited by Bumblebee84047
Correct typo.
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

And the way Eames said "he hugged me." And the look on Eames and Goren's faces.  One of my favorite small moments from the enitre series.

Yes! I find those little moments helped characterization and just made the show that much more fun/interesting, depending on said moments.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have a friend who knew several of Dahmer's victims and - since Tagman was obviously based on Dahmer - I can never fathom the sympathy Bobby feels for him, nor the sympathy I feel we are expected to feel vicariously (at least, through Goren's sympathy for him).

Tagman was a monster. What he did to those women was horrible and unforgivable. Goren's feelings were so weirdly misplaced in that case.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1