Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 11:17 PM, WendyCR72 said:

But some site called Plagiarism Today, which talks about - duh, plagiarism! - dissects two episodes of CI that dealt with perps with that subject. Why? Don't know. Slow news day back in 2016? But in reading, I guess the author was also a fan of the series. Anyway, the two episodes written about, if you want to pass the time and take a look, are:

"Self Made" from S7

"Pravda" from S3.

Again...sort of weird. Oh, well!

Hah! This is a blast from my past. 
About 5-10 years ago I made a clip from "Pravda" to use in a class of first year college students learning about plagiarism. I only used it a few times because it required too much narration from me, and the class time is short.  

On 6/6/2019 at 1:50 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Sylvia Moon in "Art"in S1

Watching this one a couple of days ago creeped me out a bit because one of my daughters who lives in NYC has become enmeshed in being an artist in recent years, and the personality of Sylvia Moon (and the eye makeup, LOL) are similar to my daughter's. I could picture my daughter having a meltdown rant and slashing something. Well, probably not original art. And she's not a killer. Heh.

But what bugged me this time around was that I realized it was all backwards to my own experience as an artist. I have always been the one with the technical expertise but without the artistic vision (or the willingness to engage in weird stuff), but it was my more creative artist friend (who created beautiful collages) who passed off one of my landscapes as her own to a patron. It's the more realistic stuff that is not possible to fake, but the murdered roomate's work in the episode looked more realistic, whereas Sylvia Moon's looked more visionary. All backwards, IMO.

Edited by shapeshifter
spacing
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But what bugged me this time around was that I realized it was all backwards to my own experience as an artist. I have always been the one with the technical expertise but without the artistic vision (or the willingness to engage in weird stuff), but it was my more creative artist friend (who created beautiful collages) who passed off one of my landscapes as her own to a patron. It's the more realistic stuff that is not possible to fake, but the murdered roomate's work in the episode looked more realistic, whereas Sylvia Moon's looked more visionary. All backwards, IMO.

Still, I do like how the show managed to incorporate what, apparently, "Major Case" in NYC really deals with: Art crimes, thefts, and such (or so I have read). Of course, a show based just on that would be meh, so a murder got incorporated anyway. LOL!

• Love 1

Yes, I am up in the dead of night finishing up some work. And Oxygen has "The War At Home" (along with "Weeping Willow" and "Albatross") coming up. It got me to wracking my brain, wondering if this is the only episode in the franchise to show an actual holiday/holiday interruptus with Goren, Eames, and Ross all called away from their respective Thanksgiving plans to help Commissioner Leland and his wife find their missing daughter?

I noticed we got to see some of the Eames family rugrats Alex always references (nieces/nephews) when she takes her call, besides Bobby/his mom and Ross and his kids - and ex.

• Love 1
On 6/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, catlover79 said:

My choice for funniest CI scene (and they did humor much, much better than either SVU or the Mothership) is a tie between Goren, Griffin Dunne and the shoe

Yes! I loved that. And the way he asked Griffin Dunne's character what size shoe he took and the look on his [Bobby's] face was priceless. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yes, I am up in the dead of night finishing up some work. And Oxygen has "The War At Home" (along with "Weeping Willow" and "Albatross") coming up. It got me to wracking my brain, wondering if this is the only episode in the franchise to show an actual holiday/holiday interruptus with Goren, Eames, and Ross all called away from their respective Thanksgiving plans to help Commissioner Leland and his wife find their missing daughter?

I noticed we got to see some of the Eames family rugrats Alex always references (nieces/nephews) when she takes her call, besides Bobby/his mom and Ross and his kids - and ex.

SVU did a Christmas episode in season 14, called Presumed Guilty, it wasn’t very good, it actually involved the priest from Logan’s final episode, Last Rites, which was a cool but of continuity, but the episode wasn’t very strong and the Christmas stuff was cheesy. Holiday episodes feel out of place on the L&O franchise since there is such little personal stuff. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

SVU did a Christmas episode in season 14, called Presumed Guilty, it wasn’t very good, it actually involved the priest from Logan’s final episode, Last Rites, which was a cool but of continuity, but the episode wasn’t very strong and the Christmas stuff was cheesy. Holiday episodes feel out of place on the L&O franchise since there is such little personal stuff. 

True, but holidays are a slice of "real life", so referencing them doesn't seem amiss. And at least it was rare. I have missed a lot of late SVU due to little interest.

But it is nice to know that some even minor characters have managed to make the franchise rounds, more "slice of life", even if - as you said - the episode wasn't that great.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

True, but holidays are a slice of "real life", so referencing them doesn't seem amiss. And at least it was rare. I have missed a lot of late SVU due to little interest.

But it is nice to know that some even minor characters have managed to make the franchise rounds, more "slice of life", even if - as you said - the episode wasn't that great.

Yeah I don’t mind the mention of holidays and I sort of liked The War at Home minus the personal crap with Goren, but I don’t like for the episodes whole theme to be about the holiday, which is kind of what I felt with the SVU episode. I did like seeing Father Shea, the priest from Last Rites, in that episode, it was very nice continuity.

• Love 2

"Proud Flesh" aired today. The one with creepy Malcolm MacDowell and the whole confusing saga of his wife formerly being married to some professor. The thing I never got, which is kind of a biggie, considering...

Who the hell really killed the son? The father? His brother?

This one confused the hell out of me and always has.

• Love 1

The father had his son killed; the brother made a "dying declaration" to clear his father as the last act of a dutiful son. After all, as Jonas said: that's what sons are for.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

The father had his son killed; the brother made a "dying declaration" to clear his father as the last act of a dutiful son. After all, as Jonas said: that's what sons are for.

Ah, thank you! The whole bit with Anna was just a bundle of confusion to me, too. Malcolm MacDowell's character really seemed to love her and their kid....and yet he frames her (I think). This was one of the most confusing episodes with the thousands of twists and turns.

• Love 1

"Vacancy" is on, the one with Emily Bergl as annoying Alice, whose fellow bridesmaid is killed by her own bridesmaid's gift. I will say the actor playing the cab driver/actor plays flat and dead-eyed well. He really upped the creepy factor.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, WendyCR72 said:

"Proud Flesh" aired today. The one with creepy Malcolm MacDowell and the whole confusing saga of his wife formerly being married to some professor. The thing I never got, which is kind of a biggie, considering...

This one confused the hell out of me and always has.

Proud Flesh is beyond confusing. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I believe the father got someone to kill the son, and the other son took the blame. I’ve seen it many times and I’m still confused by it, it’s one of my least favorite episodes from the first 5 seasons because of how ridiculously confusing it is and the cliched ending with a shooting at the courthouse.

• Love 2

I don’t know if this has been talked about before on here, but does anyone else find it interesting/odd how rarely the characters first names were used on this show. On occasion, Deakins called the detectives by their first names, and Eames called Goren “Bobby” sometimes, but that was about it. It was always interesting to me how the cops were always so formal with Carver, all of them always calling him “Mr Carver”, never by his first name or even “Carver”, and he always addressing them by their titles, very formal. Even the partners tended to use just last names. It stood out to me when Goren called Captain Hannah “Joe” a couple of times in season 10 because it was unusual when they used first names on CI. On the Mothership and SVU, they alternate between first and last names more and are less formal for the most part, it was notable to me on CI how they usually stuck to last names and titles and rarely did they use first names.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Even the partners tended to use just last names. It stood out to me when Goren called Captain Hannah “Joe” a couple of times in season 10 because it was unusual when they used first names on CI.

Well, it was never explained on the show, but on the case for the screener for (the original premiere) "The Consoler", the description actually elaborates that Joe Hannah and Goren were friends from the academy (or something).

You would think the show would have actually shown that. Although that knowledge gave the scene a bit more weight when Hannah told Goren he had his back (in terms of his seeing the mandated shrink in S10) but to basically do it or else. Seems like tough love from a friend. And if that happened with "just" a captain, a la Ross, Bobby would have snarked back as he was wont to do. So, to me, the muted reaction made a bit more sense, based on that untold history.

6 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

I think when Eames called Goren “Bobby” it was when he was stressed out and she was trying to calm him down. 

Usually, but there were rare other times she would use Bobby's first name just because (can't think of them now). And Bobby only used "Alex" in emotional situations (in "Amends" regarding Alex's husband, for one) and in the finale.

I think, for this show, that formula had more impact.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, it was never explained on the show, but on the case for the screener for (the original premiere) "The Consoler", the description actually elaborates that Joe Hannah and Goren were friends from the academy (or something).

You would think the show would have actually shown that. Although that knowledge gave the scene a bit more weight when Hannah told Goren he had his back (in terms of his seeing the mandated shrink in S10) but to basically do it or else. Seems like tough love from a friend. And if that happened with "just" a captain, a la Ross, Bobby would have snarked back as he was wont to do. So, to me, the muted reaction made a bit more sense, based on that untold history.

Usually, but there were rare other times she would use Bobby's first name just because (can't think of them now). And Bobby only used "Alex" in emotional situations (in "Amends" regarding Alex's husband, for one) and in the finale.

I think, for this show, that formula had more impact.

Yes Goren and Hannah had known each other for some time, that was definitely implied. It was still interesting to me how they used each other’s first names, since first names were rarely used on CI. 

Eames calling Goren “Bobby” wasn’t uncommon, but I can only remember Goren calling Eames “Alex” in Amends and at the end of the finale.

Sometimes we wouldn’t even ever hear a characters first name, for example Barek, Falacci and Bishop, did we ever even hear what their first names were onscreen? 

I just find it interesting how rarely first names were used on this show, almost always last names or titles were used, compared to how on the Mothership and SVU they alternated between first and last names overall. It’s interesting how on this show they were more formal and didn’t use first names as often.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Sometimes we wouldn’t even ever hear a characters first name, for example Barek, Falacci and Bishop, did we ever even hear what their first names were onscreen? 

That's a good question. And I don't think so. As for Bishop, it's sort of odd they gave her a name with an initial, and no one ever did clarify what the "G" in G. Lynn Bishop stood for.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

What was the episode where Goren plays the "goofy" delivery man?

Are you talking about Prisoner, where he does his little dance in the street before approaching the house? 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Are you talking about Prisoner, where he does his little dance in the street before approaching the house? 

Bingo. In S5, the episode with Corbin Bernsen as the scumbag prison warden trying to find his missing wife to collect a bunch of money.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes exactly

My favorite scene was him in the toy store using the Johnny 7 weapon (I believe that's the name)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Yes exactly

My favorite scene was him in the toy store using the Johnny 7 weapon (I believe that's the name)

I liked how it was used, too. Whenever the store clerk would clam up, he'd fire off another shot. Hee.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I liked how it was used, too. Whenever the store clerk would clam up, he'd fire off another shot. Hee.

As Captain Sheridan once said, "The Goren show is back in town!" Goren really was an overgrown kid. 😉

• Love 3
15 hours ago, catlover79 said:

As Captain Sheridan once said, "The Goren show is back in town!" Goren really was an overgrown kid. 😉

Ah, Deakins (that's who you meant; Sheridan was the actor's last name, Jamey Sheridan)! I liked Deakins. And Hannah in S10. Ross? Weeeeelllllll... And early on, yeah. Goren was a big kid!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, catlover79 said:

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Ah, Deakins (that's who you meant; snipAnd early on, yeah. Goren was a big kid!

I have to disagree with both of you regarding Goren being a “big kid.” He was smart and could read people within minutes of meeting them and approach them as the situation required. The only exception to that was the episode where both he and Carver bonded over those collectible vintage cars.

I’m halfway through season one and get so bitter and angry over how this character was destroyed in later seasons. It totally erased the smart cop we met in the first season.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m halfway through season one and get so bitter and angry over how this character was destroyed in later seasons. It totally erased the smart cop we met in the first season.

Maybe the description was a bit too simple, but Goren did seem to have fun, even on his cases, some of the time, which could be construed as the "big kid having fun". But I agree he was whip smart.

I don't agree that he lost that intelligence later. I think his constant dose of misery dished out just muted it.

Because it seemed on display again when Bobby lightened up again in S10.

• Love 2

Speaking of which, it's funny how the seasons seem to be book ending in the listings lately. Season 1 via ION and MyNetwork, Season 2 early tomorrow morning at 1:00 a.m. on WE, and S6/S7 on WE daytime and Oxygen this week and next.

I see "Brother's Keeper" will be on WE on Wednesday. I still have to laugh at the irony of Tom Arnold playing a preacher.

• Love 1

Yes, I meant Captain Deakins. That's what I get for being up in the wee small hours!! 😂

When I said that Goren was like a big kid, I meant those moments in episodes like "Cherry Red" and "Prisoner". Of course, he was whip smart and a keen observer of people. Remember "Bright Boy"? Goren was able to understand and empathize with the lonely, baseball-loving little boy who longed to be a normal kid, but was not allowed to be due to his overbearing father driven to see his son be an academic genius. I don't think anyone else on the case would have "gotten" the kid quite the way Goren did.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Yes, I meant Captain Deakins. That's what I get for being up in the wee small hours!! 😂

When I said that Goren was like a big kid, I meant those moments in episodes like "Cherry Red" and "Prisoner". Of course, he was whip smart and a keen observer of people. Remember "Bright Boy"? Goren was able to understand and empathize with the lonely, baseball-loving little boy who longed to be a normal kid, but was not allowed to be due to his overbearing father driven to see his son be an academic genius. I don't think anyone else on the case would have "gotten" the kid quite the way Goren did.

Yeah, he did well with Robbie. Come to think of it, in terms of kids, Bobby was also good with Sophie in "Crazy" in S1, the episode where a heart surgeon was killed at his son's Bar Mitzvah. His little magic trick with Sophie and the red crayon was cute.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, he did well with Robbie. Come to think of it, in terms of kids, Bobby was also good with Sophie in "Crazy" in S1, the episode where a heart surgeon was killed at his son's Bar Mitzvah. His little magic trick with Sophie and the red crayon was cute.

Yes, he was really good with kids. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, catlover79 said:

When I said that Goren was like a big kid, I meant those moments in episodes like "Cherry Red" and "Prisoner". Of course, he was whip smart and a keen observer of people.

I think perhaps the best example of Goren being both at once is "Collective". He clearly loved the toys even as he was doing the whole super profiler thing. The Johnny Seven scene is the epitome of him being a great smart detective who knows people while also being a big kid having fun playing with toys.

Remember "Bright Boy"? Goren was able to understand and empathize with the lonely, baseball-loving little boy who longed to be a normal kid, but was not allowed to be due to his overbearing father driven to see his son be an academic genius. I don't think anyone else on the case would have "gotten" the kid quite the way Goren did.

True although I suspect Nichols would have related even better...

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Totally agree. Watching 1.18 "Yesterday" right now. 
I always wonder on shows whether it's the actor or the director or the symbiotic relationship between them when something works well, like loser Ricky thinking he can duck out the back door, only to be met by Goren holding a gun right in his face presumably because Goren knew Ricky would fold and not fight.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Totally agree. Watching 1.18 "Yesterday" right now. 
I always wonder on shows whether it's the actor or the director or the symbiotic relationship between them when something works well, like loser Ricky thinking he can duck out the back door, only to be met by Goren holding a gun right in his face presumably because Goren knew Ricky would fold and not fight.

In terms of Goren and guns, I liked the scene from "Homo Homini Lupus", after pretending to buddy up to another suspect and laugh as he got the info about "Little Joe/Bonanza" to later, in that crowded restaurant he had chased Ritchie Coster's scumbag character to, he uses his cell and dials, waiting to follow the ringtone [which that prior info provided], only to hold his gun at Coster's scumbag character's head and innocently ask, "Are you going to answer that?"

• Love 2

Rip Torn, who played the father/grandfather from hell unless one was talking about Adlai and not Ted, or the grandchild thereof, in "Bedfellows", has died. I also recall him in the original Men In Black in which VDO also appeared in.

• Love 1

The S6 block on Oxygen tomorrow early morning includes "Rocket Man", "Bombshell", and "Endgame". I feel so sorry for Mike Logan/Chris Noth in drawing the short straw in getting "Bombshell", the corny Anna Nicole/son Daniel remake. I do know the actress playing Lorelai/fake Anna Nicole is Kristy Swanson, who was the original Buffy from the movie version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I do like the Goren/Eames exchange in "Rocket Man" after they quip with Ross about Type A personalities and, as they walk out of the observation room, Goren asks Eames, "Do you think I'm angry?" and she smiles.

S6 ends Friday morning on Oxygen with "Renewal" and, for a change of pace, stays in order and begins S7 with "Amends".

• Love 1

“Silencer.” Goren is trying to persuade Lyons to translate a conversation between two deaf suspects/witnesses at the ice rink. He is hesitant because it’s a private conversation and Goren reasons that in a public place they have “no reasonable expectation of privacy.”

Goren appeals to Eames for help and she says “Don’t put me in the middle.” 

That’s her JOB. She is Goren’s senior partner. She needs to make a call here; instead, she acts as if it’s a personal spat about who’s going to sit in the front seat on the way home.

15 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

“Silencer.” Goren is trying to persuade Lyons to translate a conversation between two deaf suspects/witnesses at the ice rink. He is hesitant because it’s a private conversation and Goren reasons that in a public place they have “no reasonable expectation of privacy.”

That’s her JOB. She is Goren’s senior partner. She needs to make a call here; instead, she acts as if it’s a personal spat about who’s going to sit in the front seat on the way home.

As I said before, I have no idea why the Peter guy was needed. It was clear his crush on Eames was going nowhere. And Goren, while not completely proficient, knew enough sign language to get by.

And one area I was with Eames on was Peter getting pissy and bitching to Alex in the cafeteria. I liked how she asked if he was angry the suspect may be deaf. I just never "got" the guy. And if he isn't comfortable with cop things like interrogating and just preferred outreach, why be a cop at all? Why not just be a civilian translator or whatnot? He just struck me as holier than thou for most of the episode.

And in defense of Alex above, yes, she is technically senior detective. But, let's face it, she gave Bobby the upper hand willingly ages ago. (And that is not meant as snide. I don't think she minded all that much. I rarely, if ever, recall her pulling rank.) It's like she once told Wes in "Silver Lining": "My partner likes to be left alone to do what he does best. Catch bad guys." So maybe she figured Bobby could handle it himself without her playing referee, although I do get your point, too.

Well, he was needed for legal reasons in the interrogation. If it came to trial and the defense attorney said “And the detective questioning my client, is he certified in ASL? Was an ASL interpreter provided for my client?” The case would have gone to hell.

Not that CI was that devoted to realism, but that would have been too ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

Well, he was needed for legal reasons in the interrogation. If it came to trial and the defense attorney said “And the detective questioning my client, is he certified in ASL? Was an ASL interpreter provided for my client?” The case would have gone to hell.

Not that CI was that devoted to realism, but that would have been too ridiculous.

Fair enough point there. I just wish the guy had less of a stick up his ass, I guess.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, Sigmagirl said:

Goren was out of line Deaf people have the same right to privacy as everybody else. You wouldn't eavesdrop on someone speaking a foreign language in public. I always wanted him to have to explain his interrogation technique in court. I'll bet a good defense attorney would get some confessions thrown out.

26 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Goren was out of line Deaf people have the same right to privacy as everybody else. You wouldn't eavesdrop on someone speaking a foreign language in public. I always wanted him to have to explain his interrogation technique in court. I'll bet a good defense attorney would get some confessions thrown out.

Even latter years of the Mothership kind of softened on reality. (As of now, SVU seems to have abandoned reality completely. CI was just ahead of the curve.) But I do like when that deaf playwright guy was talking with his attorney and Goren, Eames, and Lyons [Peter] were all in agreement that that was confidential information in response to the young bitchy DA.

There, reality poked its head out.

Speaking of the DAs, those day players ranged from decent to painful. The one here was on the "painful" end, IMO. Really made me appreciate Ron Carver.

I don’t agree. If you’re having a conversation in public, loud enough for people to hear you, you have to be prepared for them to listen. Speaking a foreign language is no guarantee that others won’t understand it. 

It may be rude for others to eavesdrop in public , but it isn’t illegal or unethical. When they were in the interrogation room with the lawyer, there Peter was absolutely right. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, Sigmagirl said:

I don’t agree. If you’re having a conversation in public, loud enough for people to hear you, you have to be prepared for them to listen. Speaking a foreign language is no guarantee that others won’t understand it. 

It may be rude for others to eavesdrop in public , but it isn’t illegal or unethical. When they were in the interrogation room with the lawyer, there Peter was absolutely right. 

I'm no lawyer (duh!), so I can see both sides. Yes, they were in conversation, a private one. But, as is said, if someone besides Peter understood sign language and they realized a crime was being discussed, whether hearing or deaf, I would think that person would relay that information since, in essence, where that conversation took place was NOT in a private residence but in a PUBLIC ice skating rink. So I can see where privacy would be expected by the couple themselves but not at large there. 

And now I get why this issue seemed to come up fairly often on the Original Recipe show. 😉

• Love 1

Well at least when they had the episode where the woman who was murdered was deaf-The Mothership provided an ASL translator as well as Camryn Manheim’s defense lawyer signing to her client when she finally got there. The first suspect was deaf.

I’m blanking on the episode’s name.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well at least when they had the episode where the woman who was murdered was deaf-The Mothership provided an ASL translator as well as Camryn Manheim’s defense lawyer signing to her client when she finally got there. The first suspect was deaf.

I’m blanking on the episode’s name.

I know the episode you're referring to, but I am also blanking on the name. The police there seemed to investigate fine without a go-between like on CI. And, as you said, they were provided a translator, so...

• Love 1

I know the episode you're referring to, but I am also blanking on the name. The police there seemed to investigate fine without a go-between like on CI. And, as you said, they were provided a translator, so...

“Benevolence”- Season three finale.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

"Betrayed" is on WE as I type. So, in watching, I realized VDO has worked with both Eric and Julia Roberts. Huh. Brenda Strong still makes me think of Mary Alice from Desperate Housewives, and that character broke the law, too. Hee. I sense a theme.

• Love 2
On 7/10/2019 at 10:03 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I feel so sorry for Mike Logan/Chris Noth in drawing the short straw in getting "Bombshell", the corny Anna Nicole/son Daniel remake. I do know the actress playing Lorelai/fake Anna Nicole is Kristy Swanson, who was the original Buffy from the movie version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'd forgotten how goofy that one was, then I just saw the one with the sleazy producer and Mo Rocca playing the gossip columnist - and there was the poster for "Anna Nicole" 's movie in the background!

It's been fun catching up on these again, I hadn't seen them in so long. Count me in on liking Alicia Witt too. 

And I love "In the Wee Small Hours" especially for "there they go, Ocean's 2."

• Love 3