Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel like Criminal Intent was so much about Goren that it did not really need the "Order" component in every episode, and it felt like at times they struggled to work Carver into the story.    

Maybe he was just there to be a foil for Goren?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Could be. If so, at least Goren had a worthy adversary. Carver was clearly intelligent. Still would have loved to see Carver somehow in S10. Maybe his family could be in danger due to a past case or he could have become a judge or whatever.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Could be. If so, at least Goren had a worthy adversary. Carver was clearly intelligent. Still would have loved to see Carver somehow in S10. Maybe his family could be in danger due to a past case or he could have become a judge or whatever.

Something would have been better than nothing. As much as I love VDO/Goren, they could have used him a little more sparingly and not worn the poor guy to a nubbin. Carver was interesting enough to have more screen time.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Something would have been better than nothing. As much as I love VDO/Goren, they could have used him a little more sparingly and not worn the poor guy to a nubbin. Carver was interesting enough to have more screen time.

Well, VDO's exhaustion led to Logan's re-entry into the franchise and alternating teams, so maybe TPTB thought that was enough of a remedy. I think the only way Carver could have been better served was by having an EP that didn't have disdain for courtroom scenes.

What little of those CBV got, he really did well with.

• Love 3

Apparently, in the latest FreeStyle Libre ads (for a glucose monitor for diabetics), the voice-over actor is none other than Richard Kind, a.k.a. murdering Ernest Foley from "Privilege" in Season 6. (The one where he is listing all the "nos", i.e. no pizza, no stress, etc.)

• Useful 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel like Criminal Intent was so much about Goren that it did not really need the "Order" component in every episode, and it felt like at times they struggled to work Carver into the story.    

Why do we keep calling the DAs the "Order" side of the show? Surely they are the "Law" and the police are about "Order"? Anyways they did struggle sometimes since they were so fond of the confession that at times it did feel a bit unnecessary. But I think he did play an important role.

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not really a foil per se IMHO. He and Deakins shared the Lestrade role from the original Sherlock Holmes stories. They were good and smart men and allies to the hero although very much conventional in their thinking, who admired and relied on Goren, but thought he was a bit too cocksure at times and had doubts about his methods on occasion. It keeps Goren as a bit of a rebel while also within the system, helps the stories by making him find proof beyond just insight and deduction, and allows mediation between his loyal sidekick and those who either oppose or distrust him. Also it allowed for the exploration of the difference between "knowing" and "proving beyond a reasonable doubt' which was important to the franchise. Sometimes you needed a lawyer/"outsider" in that role and part of the reason that the show was better with him was that we knew he was one of the good guys, which wasn't the case when if there was an ADA it was a day player, so that his concerns were legitimate and we knew when Goren was able to find the last piece of the puzzle the perps would face the full weight of the legal system.

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Why do we keep calling the DAs the "Order" side of the show?

Because on the Mothership, the credits after "Law" were always the actors playing the cops and "Order" showed the actors playing the lawyers! (But I always thought it weird, too. Still, I just went with it since that is what TPTB certainly did!)

• Love 6
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Because on the Mothership, the credits after "Law" were always the actors playing the cops and "Order" showed the actors playing the lawyers! (But I always thought it weird, too. Still, I just went with it since that is what TPTB certainly did!)

Even their intros say it. Quite plainly:

“In the Criminal Justice System, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: The police who investigate crime, and the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.”

• Love 1

"Dead" is on Sundance. Still like the episode and it was a good S2 premiere. And, just like in "Tabula Rasa" on the Mothership, Jay O. Sanders excelled at playing the bad guy.

I recall still feeling sort of unsure/apathetic when he was cast as Joseph Hannah, since his other roles stood out so much, but he did a good job playing the white-hat character [for once!] without being bland.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

"Dead" is on Sundance. Still like the episode and it was a good S2 premiere. And, just like in "Tabula Rasa" on the Mothership, Jay O. Sanders excelled at playing the bad guy.

I recall still feeling sort of unsure/apathetic when he was cast as Joseph Hannah, since his other roles stood out so much, but he did a good job playing the white-hat character [for once!] without being bland.

Dead is an excellent episode and the villain is quite memorable - loved the back and forth between him and Goren. I agree the actor played the villain very well in both this episode and on Tabula Rasa on the Mothership - he was more unlikable in Tabula Rasa as he was a sociopathic bastard who psychologically abused his kids and even got one of them to confess to a murder he committed, whereas in Dead the hitman seemed to love his family, he just led a double life as a cold blooded killer.

I agree it’s somewhat weird seeing him in season 10 as the squad leader, but I liked Joe Hannah and thought he made for a good squad leader. The actor also played a defense lawyer in the Mothership episode Asterisk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The actor [Jay O. Sanders] also played a defense lawyer in the Mothership episode Asterisk.

I had completely forgotten that. Seems like there are some actors that the franchise has no issue with, using them again and again, like the aforementioned Sanders, Jenna Stern, and Geoffrey Nauffts (in "Smothered" and "Maltese Cross" on CI; Jamie in "The Wages of Love" on The Mothership - maybe there are more...).

Speaking of Nauffts, it is something to see him so young in "The Wages of Love", from all the way back in '91, only to see him with graying hair in "Maltese Cross" in 2006. We all get there; TV just makes aging look so...immediate. But he did age well.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I had completely forgotten that. Seems like there are some actors that the franchise has no issue with, using them again and again, like the aforementioned Sanders, Jenna Stern, and Geoffrey Nauffts (in "Smothered" and "Maltese Cross" on CI; Jamie in "The Wages of Love" on The Mothership - maybe there are more...).

As far as cross-franchise "repeat offenders" are concerned, how can you leave out Aasif Mandvi? He played like 1/2 the Southeast Asian people in NYC across every iteration of the franchise until OC! Other examples that come to mind are Wendell Pierce, Mathew Arkin (yes one of those Arkins), Dan Lauria (although I think they were just fulfilling the SAG requirement that he must have a guest appearance on every procedural and most sitcoms) and there are tons more of course. I'm sure all of us have our particular "them again?" favorites especially the soap opera/Broadway fans among us.

• Love 6
(edited)

Watching Baggage right now and what pisses me off very time I watch it is the victim's dad makes her drive her piece of crap car to work, that she has been complaining about for ages because he needs to get in a full day of fucking golf. If I were her mother I would divorce him and take him every penny he ever had or ever hoped to have. That part where her car breaks down and she's like "NO...please..no.." just kills me.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Watching Baggage right now and what pisses me off very time I watch it is the victim's dad makes her drive her piece of crap car to work, that she has been complaining about for ages because he needs to get in a full day of fucking golf. If I were her mother I would divorce him and take him every penny he ever had or ever hoped to have. That part where her car breaks down and she's like "NO...please..no.." just kills me.

I wondered if they were trying to do some shady fake out with the dad, since there was the scene where the wife catches him in Jenny's room, but then nothing. At least this case was solved. The real case it was based upon, never was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What's really weird is that he played Ziggy, Dan's biker friend on Roseanne.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What's really weird is that he played Ziggy, Dan's biker friend on Roseanne.

Wow, that sounds very much against type. But good for Sanders!

As I have said before, with the many captains to appear on this show, I think, in temperament, Joe Hannah was as close to Jimmy Deakins as other captains would come, with his hands-off attitude towards his detectives, trusting them to do their jobs without him questioning every move. Sort of liked his asides, too, i.e. "this guy breathes douchebag!" and "I'm starting to hate the theater."

Also liked him calling PJ from "The Boy in the Blue-Knit Cap" "granola boy".

I just wish the show explored Hannah and Goren's friendship, since all write ups had them friends since their Academy days.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wow, that sounds very much against type. But good for Sanders!

As I have said before, with the many captains to appear on this show, I think, in temperament, Joe Hannah was as close to Jimmy Deakins as other captains would come, with his hands-off attitude towards his detectives, trusting them to do their jobs without him questioning every move. Sort of liked his asides, too, i.e. "this guy breathes douchebag!" and "I'm starting to hate the theater."

Also liked him calling PJ from "The Boy in the Blue-Knit Cap" "granola boy".

I just wish the show explored Hannah and Goren's friendship, since all write ups had them friends since their Academy days.

I would’ve liked a bit more exploration of Goren and Hannah’s relationship as well - we saw it a bit but it would’ve been nice to see more. Note that Goren did call Hannah “Joe”, he was the only squad leader Goren addressed by his first name, he always just called Deakins and Ross “captain”. So that was a sign that they were familiar with each other. It’s always interesting to me what the characters addressed each other as, and as we’ve discussed before they didn’t use first names often on CI, so Goren and Hannah calling each other by their first names was a sign that they went back a ways and were comfortable with each other.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I would’ve liked a bit more exploration of Goren and Hannah’s relationship as well - we saw it a bit but it would’ve been nice to see more. Note that Goren did call Hannah “Joe”, he was the only squad leader Goren addressed by his first name, he always just called Deakins and Ross “captain”. So that was a sign that they were familiar with each other. It’s always interesting to me what the characters addressed each other as, and as we’ve discussed before they didn’t use first names often on CI, so Goren and Hannah calling each other by their first names was a sign that they went back a ways and were comfortable with each other.

Eames only called Goren Bobby when she was exasperated with him. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Eames only called Goren Bobby when she was exasperated with him. 

I don’t exactly agree with that, she called him Bobby several times, not just when she was annoyed. I can only recall Goren calling her “Alex” twice though, in Amends and at the end of the series finale. They rarely used first names on the show though - I don’t think Bishop or Falacci’s first names were ever even said on the show. Deakins occasionally called the detectives by their first names, but the captains were always called “Captain” and Carver was always called “Mr Carver” or “Counselor” never once was he addressed informally which was interesting as on the other shows the police and prosecutors were sometimes informal with each other. I guess all of this is why I found it notable that Hannah and Goren were on a first name basis with each other. 

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t exactly agree with that, she called him Bobby several times, not just when she was annoyed

Yeah, Alex often called Goren "Bobby". Another non-exasperated, emotional time she did so, as an example, was in "Endgame" as Bobby was removing photos of Brady's victims, as he was telling Alex how his mother was never the same after her affair with Brady and Alex was getting worried about Bobby (who just had the bomb that Brady might be his biological father dropped on him).

As noted, he only seemed to call Alex by her given name in emotional moments. Although, watching "Alpha Dog" last night on MyNetwork, Alex and Bobby ran into a former coworker/cop that Alex worked with in another precinct who went into security, and Alex introduced Bobby as "my partner, Robert Goren", to which the other guy told Bobby, "She's the best, Robert, the best!"

So in strictly professional situations, Bobby seems to revert to Robert by himself and Alex, etc. Come to think of it, Dr. Gyson always addressed Bobby as Robert, too.

• Love 2

"Graansha" is airing on WE now. And "Zoonotic" is next. The write up for "Zoonotic", in all these years, has never been corrected in TV listings! LOL! In the synopsis, it mentions the doctor that infects his ex-girlfriends as being played by Andrew McCarthy.

Nope.

He did appear in the series, as the ADA Gene Hoyle in "Offense" in S7, but it was James Urbaniak who played Dr. Roger Stern in that episode.

Not a big deal, but I just wonder how McCarthy and Urbaniak were confused for each other. They look/sound nothing alike.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

"Graansha" is airing on WE now. And "Zoonotic" is next. The write up for "Zoonotic", in all these years, has never been corrected in TV listings! LOL! In the synopsis, it mentions the doctor that infects his ex-girlfriends as being played by Andrew McCarthy.

Nope.

He did appear in the series, as the ADA Gene Hoyle in "Offense" in S7, but it was James Urbaniak who played Dr. Roger Stern in that episode.

Not a big deal, but I just wonder how McCarthy and Urbaniak were confused for each other. They look/sound nothing alike.

I know McCarthy was originally supposed to play the role, but he stormed off set last minute, saying VDO was criticizing his acting. That’s when they had to get someone else to play the role. I remember reading that somewhere and I think it’s been discussed here before.

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I know McCarthy was originally supposed to play the role, but he stormed off set last minute, saying VDO was criticizing his acting. That’s when they had to get someone else to play the role. I remember reading that somewhere and I think it’s been discussed here before.

This is new info to me! I never heard this. Where did you read that?

ETA: Forget it, looked it up. Although what I just read was McCarthy's inability to handle VDO doing his "method acting" or whatnot.

Ah, actors and egos and methods.  😎

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Looks like, based on listings, Sundance is also airing some episodes on Wednesdays (in addition to the long Tuesday marathons), from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., starting this week. While Tuesday [today, actually!] has most of S2 for this week, Wednesday's episodes start from the beginning, with "One".

• Love 2
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Looks like, based on listings, Sundance is also airing some episodes on Wednesdays (in addition to the long Tuesday marathons), from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., starting this week. While Tuesday [today, actually!] has most of S2 for this week, Wednesday's episodes start from the beginning, with "One".

They're having my favorite, Tomorrow, at one PT today.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They're having my favorite, Tomorrow, at one PT today.

Merritt Wever did a great job. The actress playing her sister, Tammy Blanchard, has done some Broadway, too, I think, complete with a Tony nod. Also read she played Judy Garland in a movie; she does resemble her. This is the first of two episodes with Noelle Beck, too, who played the stepmother here and returned much later in S10 as Debra Brite in "Rispetto".

On another note, "Baggage" just started now and I love the Queen of Sheba bit Bobby does in that one.

• Love 2

I love Tomorrow as well - really good and unique plot with the nannies and their soap opera obsession, the villains were quite memorable. I really wish they had kept the deleted scene with Skoda in the episode, as Skoda added a lot of insight into the nannies motivations that otherwise was left for the viewers to fill in the blanks. I liked how they brought back Stan Shatenstein, the incredibly terrible defense attorney, who was in the Mothership episode Thrill as well where he was just as much of a moron. Good continuity. 

• Love 1

No matter how many times I see "Cold Comfort" [on now on Sundance], I will never not find the whole idea to freeze the senator - to bring him back to life later - weird. And while I like the idea of someone "recovering" from Alzheimer's disease as hopeful (as it is a brutal disease), it just seems a bit too fantastical to me.

Makes me wonder what case this episode is based upon, if any.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

No matter how many times I see "Cold Comfort" [on now on Sundance, I will never not find the whole idea to freeze the senator - to bring him back to life later - weird. And while I like the idea of someone "recovering" from Alzheimer's disease hopeful (as it is a brutal disease), it just seems a bit too fantastical to me.

Cold Comfort is just bizarre I totally agree. Not one of my favorite episodes. And I’ve always found it strange how they never caught the hitwoman that actually committed the murder, and they seemed to forget all about tracking her down. Really weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Another angle of Cold Comfort I found odd? That Nicholas never questioned [before Bobby got him to do so] his obvious memory deficit. No aneurysm I'm aware of seems to have that as a symptom (unless one bursts; I saw such a case on the original Unsolved Mysteries ages ago!).

I'm sure it was scary, but to not even question his father's foundation's doctors on his own at all?! He was an adult and had that right. Just seemed way too passive to me about his own health.

With that said, the actor playing Nicholas did a great job with what he had to play.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Another angle of Cold Comfort I found odd? That Nicholas never questioned [before Bobby got him to do so] his obvious memory deficit. No aneurysm I'm aware of seems to have that as a symptom (unless one bursts; I saw such a case on the original Unsolved Mysteries ages ago!).

I'm sure it was scary, but to not even question his father's foundation's doctors on his own at all?! He was an adult and had that right. Just seemed way too passive to me about his own health.

With that said, the actor playing Nicholas did a great job with what he had to play.

Agreed, that was another strange aspect of the episode. Cold Comfort just isn’t one of my favorites, it had potential to be good but it was more strange than good and not in a good way.

• Love 1

I see Oxygen, for its very-early-morning marathon, is running S10 episodes. (With my weird work schedule, I may be up to see some of it!). The only curious thing is, it will begin with "Boots On The Ground" and then circle back to "Rispetto", and "The Consoler".

• Useful 2
On 7/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Wasn't it Ted Williams?  It wasn't a criminal case, but if I remember right, his kids fought over his body, and it eventually ended up in cold storage in Arizona. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Wasn't it Ted Williams?  It wasn't a criminal case, but if I remember right, his kids fought over his body, and it eventually ended up in cold storage in Arizona. 

I never knew anything about this! So, could be! ETA: Just looked it up. What a wild story. Sometimes, truth really is stranger than fiction! Thanks for the heads up, @txhorns79! 😊

• Love 3

"A Murderer Among Us" is on Sundance. One thing that always sort of threw me off, which happens on almost every TV show imaginable, is when Brody goes to visit his wife's grave (scene has not aired yet here). The stone is already there and everything!

Most graves with an unexpected death don't usually have a stone already put in!

(But I do like when Bobby goes after Brody near the end.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

"A Murderer Among Us" is on Sundance. One thing that always sort of threw me off, which happens on almost every TV show imaginable, is when Brody goes to visit his wife's grave (scene has not aired yet here). The stone is already there and everything!

Most graves with an unexpected death don't usually have a stone already put in!

(But I do like when Bobby goes after Brody near the end.)

He wasn’t visiting his wife’s grave, he was visiting his mother’s grave. That’s why he was saying stuff like “I’m not weak anymore”, he was talking to his mom who he believed had been raped by her Jewish boss, that was the motivation for his hate murders. It took me a couple of times watching the episode to realize he was visiting his mom’s grave and not his wife’s.

I do like the episode, it was a quite an interesting plot and I liked how Goren provoked Brody into his meltdown at the end, but I’ve always found it rather far fetched how far Brody’s wife went to make her suicide look like a murder and I’m not really sure how all that would work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

He wasn’t visiting his wife’s grave, he was visiting his mother’s grave. That’s why he was saying stuff like “I’m not weak anymore”, he was talking to his mom who he believed had been raped by her Jewish boss, that was the motivation for his hate murders. It took me a couple of times watching the episode to realize he was visiting his mom’s grave and not his wife’s.

I do like the episode, it was a quite an interesting plot and I liked how Goren provoked Brody into his meltdown at the end, but I’ve always found it rather far fetched how far Brody’s wife went to make her suicide look like a murder and I’m not really sure how all that would work.

Yeah that was a bit of a stretch. I felt so sorry for his daughter. OMG and that sister of his? What a monster. And who the hell says "Jewess" anymore?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah that was a bit of a stretch. I felt so sorry for his daughter. OMG and that sister of his? What a monster. And who the hell says "Jewess" anymore?

Yeah Brody’s sister was a bigoted witch as well. And yeah I felt terrible for the daughter, who had to live with all of this.

But I just found it rather far fetched that Brody’s wife would go to such lengths to make her suicide look like a murder - did she really think the police would fall for it? And why didn’t she just report her husband to the police if she suspected him as a serial killer? It didn’t make sense to me that she would kill herself and leave her daughter alone. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah Brody’s sister was a bigoted witch as well. And yeah I felt terrible for the daughter, who had to live with all of this.

But I just found it rather far fetched that Brody’s wife would go to such lengths to make her suicide look like a murder - did she really think the police would fall for it? And why didn’t she just report her husband to the police if she suspected him as a serial killer? It didn’t make sense to me that she would kill herself and leave her daughter alone. 

Not a whit. Some of the episodes on this show don't make a hell of a lot of sense. I'm still wondering where all the money from In The Dark went.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not a whit. Some of the episodes on this show don't make a hell of a lot of sense. I'm still wondering where all the money from In The Dark went.

I know I joked about the tuna, but that is a big hole.

• Love 2

The Sundance marathons will now begin at 9:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays (as of the 27th) as it will now share Tuesdays with NCIS. I swear that WE and Sundance are basically the same channel (all the same shows!) now.

Not a shock as AMC network owns both, but still.

CI will also air for a few hours on Saturdays from noon until 3:00 p.m., also on Sundance.

• Useful 4

"Mis-Labeled" is ending on Sundance, with ol' Brian, a.k.a. Eric, who cut a guy in half. I still think Terry O'Quinn's CEO guy is way too principled to ever be real. (I wish, but no!)

Someone in his position would have probably tried to play CMA (cover my ass!) with regard to the tainted medication.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2021 at 7:42 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'm still wondering where all the money from In The Dark went.

Speaking of In the Dark....maybe I missed something but you mean to tell me the mechanic doing all these murders of these homeless men has never even SEEN this woman's daughter?  What?  Never talked to her and since she was never actually born there are no photos or anything....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

Speaking of In the Dark....maybe I missed something but you mean to tell me the mechanic doing all these murders of these homeless men has never even SEEN this woman's daughter?  What?  Never talked to her and since she was never actually born there are no photos or anything....

What did Eames call them? The Killer and Mrs. Magoo?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What did Eames call them? The Killer and Mrs. Magoo?

Yes that’s what Eames called them and yeah I found that crazy as well - the murderer was willing to kill people all to send money to a daughter he never met or saw. 

• Love 2

I know how we all feel about the various things in "In The Wee Small Hours", which is on WE now, but one part that just occurred to me was how sort of twisted it was for Elise Garrett to push Ethan to tell G/E what happened with regard to Bethany, Ethan, and his pig of a father, all the while knowing SHE was the murderer.

What a mom. Maybe she and her perv hubby did deserve each other.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know how we all feel about the various things in "In The Wee Small Hours", which is on WE now, but one part that just occurred to me was how sort of twisted it was for Elise Garrett to push Ethan to tell G/E what happened with regard to Bethany, Ethan, and his pig of a father, all the while knowing SHE was the murderer.

What a mom. Maybe she and her perv hubby did deserve each other.

Yeah the Garrett’s were just rotten human trash all around. I’m not sure who was the most unsympathetic of the bunch. Still probably my favorite CI episode, I would’ve watched it had I known it was on today, just really great all around plot and I loved seeing the 2 pairs of detectives work together and seeing the crossover appearance from Arthur Branch - it always makes me laugh when Arthur tears up the original warrant and instead gets one with his name on it, saying it’s worth 2 points on Election Day, and Carver’s perplexed and then amused response. 

• Love 2