Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

All of that plus Jay Mohr as the shock jock as Nyle Brite.

Shock jock?

I think Nyle Brite was probably based on other avante garde fashion designers like the late Alexander McQueen. But yep, I forgot he had a comedic career, too! (I know when this episode was made, it was to capitalize on Charlie Sheen's then-recent breakdown. You notice Nyle acted manic during that news interview and kept yelling, "INSTINCT!" in place of Sheen's "WINNING!")

• Love 2
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Shock jock?

I think Nyle Brite was probably based on other avante garde fashion designers like the late Alexander McQueen. But yep, I forgot he had a comedic career, too! (I know when this episode was made, it was to capitalize on Charlie Sheen's then-recent breakdown. You notice Nyle acted manic during that news interview and kept yelling, "INSTINCT!" in place of Sheen's "WINNING!")

That's right. There was a shock jock on a different one. Who played that guy? 

4 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Are you thinking of the one with Fisher Stevens?

The one where the crazy lady would call his show because she knew her ex listened to it on the train? I think she was a psychiatric nurse or something. Bobby pretended to be into her?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The one where the crazy lady would call his show because she knew her ex listened to it on the train? I think she was a psychiatric nurse or something. Bobby pretended to be into her?

Sadly, I don't think Bobby was 100% pretending. Think his Mommy issues played into that. But that is the episode where Fisher Stevens was a shock jock and was killed by his fan. That was the Season 4 opener, "Semi-Detached". And the only S4 episode where VDO had a different opening credit photo unlike the rest of the 4th season [through S10, actually!].

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Sadly, I don't think Bobby was 100% pretending. Think his Mommy issues played into that. But that is the episode where Fisher Stevens was a shock jock and was killed by his fan. That was the Season 4 opener, "Semi-Detached". And the only S4 episode where VDO had a different opening credit photo unlike the rest of the 4th season [through S10, actually!].

That episode always pisses me off because of how they implied Goren did actually care about the loony murderer, that was so stupid and soap opera-ish. The episode was fine up until that. And then 2 episodes later, we saw Goren go to bat for sicko cannibal Tagman. I have no idea what was up with Goren at the start of season 4 but it was weird and I’m glad it didn’t continue.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

That episode always pisses me off because of how they implied Goren did actually care about the loony murderer, that was so stupid and soap opera-ish. The episode was fine up until that. And then 2 episodes later, we saw Goren go to bat for sicko cannibal Tagman. I have no idea what was up with Goren at the start of season 4 but it was weird and I’m glad it didn’t continue.

Like I said, in terms of his shyness and feeling lonely, I do think Goren did see a bit of himself in John Tagman and I think that clouded his judgment.

And where Nelda Carson in "Semi-Detached" was concerned, I think it was about the woman being mentally ill, hence my saying Goren had definite Mommy issues with that. Still, as you said, I'm glad - after those episodes - Goren seemed to snap out of it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I want to believe. I know at the end he said he didn't mean to like her but I choose to think he was play acting so I don't go postal.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:Like I said, in terms of his shyness and feeling lonely, I do think Goren did see a bit of himself in John Tagman and I think that clouded his judgment.

And where Nelda Carson in "Semi-Detached" was concerned, I think it was about the woman being mentally ill, hence my saying Goren had definite Mommy issues with that. Still, as you said, I'm glad - after those episodes - Goren seemed to snap out of it.

Yeah I kind of understood where Goren was coming from but neither of those perps deserved sympathy IMO, and I found it somewhat weird how Goren showed sympathy for the perps in 2 of the first 3 episodes of season 4. Fortunately that trend didn’t continue and Goren got back on track in season 4.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I want to believe. I know at the end he said he didn't mean to like her but I choose to think he was play acting so I don't go postal.

Oh, I understand completely where that's concerned!  😉

• Love 2
On 12/23/2020 at 11:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Well I must be the only person who actually liked seeing that side of Bobby.  He doesn't have to be a hard a$$ 24/7.  😄  Bobby told Eams when she found out that he was giving her his pin badge is that she had a lot of empathy.  (I'm paraphrasing that might not have been his exact word) It lead me to believe that Goren was attracted to her because of her perceived kindness towards others, especially towards people with a mental illness.  He seems to find that attractive in people. 

I've always wondered if he was able to get that pin badge back?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Well I must be the only person who actually liked seeing that side of Bobby.  He doesn't have to be a hard a$$ 24/7.  😄  Bobby told Eams when she found out that he was giving her his pin badge is that she had a lot of empathy.  (I'm paraphrasing that might not have been his exact word) It lead me to believe that Goren was attracted to her because of her perceived kindness towards others, especially towards people with a mental illness.  He seems to find that attractive in people. 

I've always wondered if he was able to get that pin badge back?

I don't mind that side - but not towards the killers and psychos. That is where I draw the line. Which made a line from Declan in "Frame" disturbing: When he asked Bobby who he would miss more, his brother or Nicole?

Frank had major issues. But in the end, he was Bobby's FAMILY. And for Bobby to still hold any fascination for her, IMO, would be nauseating. Based on his discussion with Eames about how "[Nicole] went after my brother!", I'd hope that would be the end. But with his past history of trying to understand these freaks, I'm not so sure. I'd like to think continued therapy cured him of that...

11 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Well, Bobby was just lucky that Nelda didn't kill somebody and interweave their hair in that pin badge to impress him!

Oh, Lord. I'd like to think Nelda ended up like Jo or John Tagman did in prison. It's all they deserved.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We were discussing earlier about season four being dark as hell but when I think of dark, I think of Season 7 episode Untethered, where Goren goes undercover in a mental institution. Talk about brutal. I won't ever watch it again.

That was dark, but I also think it gave VDO some meat to play, for which he was probably glad. I just wonder why that bitch at the end wasn't taken into custody, too. She had to know the prisoners were being abused.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2020 at 5:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

We were discussing earlier about season four being dark as hell but when I think of dark, I think of Season 7 episode Untethered, where Goren goes undercover in a mental institution. Talk about brutal. I won't ever watch it again.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

That was dark, but I also think it gave VDO some meat to play, for which he was probably glad. I just wonder why that bitch at the end wasn't taken into custody, too. She had to know the prisoners were being abused.

Yes I would say Untethered is arguably the darkest CI episode, even darker than some of season 4’s episodes. I didn’t like it because I don’t like family drama and I didn’t like the whole “Goren is a nutjob” theme that seemed to start in season 6 and go throughout season 7. Like I’ve said before, Warren Leight wrecked the show when he took over in season 6, it felt like a totally different show from seasons 1-5, and it was much, much weaker, a lot more melodrama and a lot less meat on the cases, fortunately they regained some of their old glory starting in season 8 but then especially in season 10, I’m glad the show went out on a high note. 

• Love 3

WE showed the end of S7 last night late night and is doing the same for early S8 tomorrow. While I am happy Goren did manage to lighten up by S10, the contrast between the sheer bleakness of the end of S7 and just sort of being so...averagely normal in tone at the start of S8 always did seem jarring.

Especially since we saw Declan bulldoze Goren's life.

But I guess -considering "Faithfully" was likely supposed to be the premiere, the airing out of order and change in EP would do that. I just wish the narrative was kept in order for a time line that made more sense in Bobby's "recovery", so to speak.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

WE showed the end of S7 last night late night and is doing the same for early S8 tomorrow. While I am happy Goren did manage to lighten up by S10, the contrast between the sheer bleakness of the end of S7 and just sort of being so...averagely normal in tone at the start of S8 always did seem jarring.

Especially since we saw Declan bulldoze Goren's life.

But I guess -considering "Faithfully" was likely supposed to be the premiere, the airing out of order and change in EP would do that. I just wish the narrative was kept in order for a time line that made more sense in Bobby's "recovery", so to speak.

I don’t think they really knew what to do in season 8 with Goren, because they never even referenced the events from the season 7 finale. I would still rather them have spent no time on it than spend a long time dwelling on it, but it was rather odd. I’m very glad season 10 happened and we got to see Goren in therapy to deal with his traumas but those were just brief scenes and the main focus of the episodes were on the cases. Season 10 was really well done and a good finish for the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t think they really knew what to do in season 8 with Goren, because they never even referenced the events from the season 7 finale. I would still rather them have spent no time on it than spend a long time dwelling on it, but it was rather odd. I’m very glad season 10 happened and we got to see Goren in therapy to deal with his traumas but those were just brief scenes and the main focus of the episodes were on the cases. Season 10 was really well done and a good finish for the show.

Yeah, I love the show and especially Goren but it was a long strange trip.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

As dark - literally and figuratively - as Season 7 was, it was apparently the highest-rated season in the USA years. So, while I was glad and relieved to see Goren start to "recover" in Season 8, I do think, like you, it was curious how S7 was sort of swept away.

But, as I said, since Warren Leight exited (and Waylon Green took over as EP) and the whole writers' strike came about in 2008, I think the series of moving parts explained much in the rather abrupt change in tone.

On another note, speaking of S8, "Identity Crisis" just ended and I still like its subtlety. That's one thing Green did well there. And "In Treatment" is on now and Ross/Nichols speculating about Wheeler's pregnancy at the bloody crime scene just seemed so adolescent to me. Ask the woman or leave her alone...

• Love 1

"Self Made" from S7 is on Oxygen late night as I type, and the black detective at the beginning, I love how sarcastic he is with Goren/Eames [as he is miffed that Major Case has taken over], and after he answers Eames' question of, "Family?" and responds, "Don't know, you're Major Case. You tell me!", I love Goren's little hand gesture as the guy walks out, sort of "fuck you" with a sort of wave.

Hee.

And Fisher Stevens loved playing scummy CI characters. First, the shock jock that we discussed from "Semi-Detached" in S4, then the scummy book editor in "Self Made" in S7. Wonder if he minded being typecast as the sleazy type?

(Then again, maybe he figured it was better than forever being remembered from Short Circuit back in the day?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

"Self Made" from S7 is on Oxygen late night as I type, and the black detective at the beginning, I love how sarcastic he is with Goren/Eames [as he is miffed that Major Case has taken over], and after he answers Eames' question of, "Family?" and responds, "Don't know, you're Major Case. You tell me!", I love Goren's little hand gesture as the guy walks out, sort of "fuck you" with a sort of wave.

Hee.

And Fisher Stevens loved playing scummy CI characters. First, the shock jock that we discussed from "Semi-Detached" in S4, then the scummy book editor in "Self Made" in S7. Wonder if he minded being typecast as the sleazy type?

(Then again, maybe he figured it was better than forever being remembered from Short Circuit back in the day?)

Holy crap is that who he is?!?  I thought he looked familiar but I never bothered to do a Google search. 

It usually bothers me when actors play 2 different characters on the same show but IDK if enough time had passed between his gigs or if he was just that good at portraying these characters but seeing him never took me out of context as to who his character was.  What I mean is I never sat there and though of that is the shock jock from Season 4.

• Love 2

And Fisher Stevens loved playing scummy CI characters. First, the shock jock that we discussed from "Semi-Detached" in S4, then the scummy book editor in "Self Made" in S7. Wonder if he minded being typecast as the sleazy type?

I doubt it, he played scumbags all the way back to Columbo in 1989.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Holy crap is that who he is?!?  I thought he looked familiar but I never bothered to do a Google search. 

Yep, that was Fisher Stevens playing the Indian robot tech! Time flies, hmm?

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when he and Michelle Pfeiffer were hot and heavy and all over the tabloids!  😛

As for actors playing multiple roles on a series, yeah, it can be annoying. Surely the actor pool is New York versus California is not that tiny, especially with all the Broadway veterans out there. But I guess the casting department had their go-tos. And, really, recycled casting has gone on with every show since TV began. So as much as it annoys me, it's also common. (By the way, besides Fisher Stevens, "Self Made" also had another recycled actor there with Pablo Schrieber as TJ Hawkins, author and killer! He also was in "The Unblinking Eye" in S4 as poor Ed, the actor that messed up his audition with [unseen but heard] Matt Damon because his "friend" made himself sick to sabotage Ed's chances! Then, of course, there is his signature franchise role as psycho William Lewis on SVU...)

• Love 4

Pablo Schrieber as TJ Hawkins, author and killer! He also was in "The Unblinking Eye" in S4 as poor Ed, the actor that messed up his audition with [unseen but heard]

Every time I saw him, all I could think of was William Lewis and my skin would start to crawl.

• Love 2

Oxygen had its mini lineup in the middle of the night last night as it does every Tuesday morning. One of the episodes was "Purgatory", the one where Goren goes undercover to get dirty cop Mike Stoat. It reminded me why I am now glad for Peacock and/or DVDs. The scene after Alex shreds Lois Melago for being a bad cop, where she asks Ross where Goren is, is now always cut. If it was just that, I wouldn't care, either.

But Eames' temporary partner also tells Ross about Melago's involvement and how, etc., so it's part of the case, and it bugs me that it gets chopped in syndication. Kind of a needed scene, IMO.

ETA: What the hell? Peacock has the edited version, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I remembered early on that I ripped some of my DVDs to my computer. For the casual watchers who may not remember the scene I referenced above, I edited it with Eames' interview with Melago just right before for context.

Alas, I had to put it on Dropbox as YT would boot it in a heartbeat.

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/CI/Purgatory deleted scene.mp4?role=personal

And just to show I didn't imagine it as it hasn't been shown in ages. LOL!

• Love 2
On 1/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

And Fisher Stevens loved playing scummy CI characters.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I love Ben Jabituya. (Try saying his last name slowly and out loud. Sleaziness abounds.) But here are some great, sorta sleazy Ben quotes from Short Circuit for your amusement:

"I am thinking that she is a virgin. Or at least she used to be."

"I am sporting a tremendous woody!"

"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

"Ooh, her pants are blazing for you, Newton Crosby!"

"Did she stick her tongue down your throat?"

Stephanie: "Would you quit doing that?" Ben: "You think I'm doing that for my own self-gratification?"

Number 5: "Benjamin Jabituya. Delete. Exit. Depart. Leave." Ben: "Eat my dust, Newton Crosby. Let us break wind!"

"Bye-bye, goofy woman. I enjoyed repeatedly throwing you to the ground."

Now that I think about it, those lines would also work for Gareth Sage and Ray Barnett. Talk about type casting.

Cheers!

Edited by Ebau
3 hours ago, Ebau said:

I love Ben Jabituya. (Try saying his last name slowly and out loud. Sleaziness abounds.) But here are some great, sorta sleazy Ben quotes from Short Circuit for your amusement:

"I am thinking that she is a virgin. Or at least she used to be."

"I am sporting a tremendous woody!"

"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

"Ooh, her pants are blazing for you, Newton Crosby!"

"Did she stick her tongue down your throat?"

Stephanie: "Would you quit doing that?" Ben: "You think I'm doing that for my own self-gratification?"

Number 5: "Benjamin Jabituya. Delete. Exit. Depart. Leave." Ben: "Eat my dust, Newton Crosby. Let us break wind!"

"Bye-bye, goofy woman. I enjoyed repeatedly throwing you to the ground."

Now that I think about it, those lines would also work for Gareth Sage and Ray Barnett. Talk about type casting.

Cheers!

I remember no actual lines, so this is quite something. I didn't remember Stevens' Short Circuit character's name, but it is...interesting.

• Love 1

On another note, "Senseless" was on in the middle of the night on Oxygen a few nights back, the one where the three college kids were gunned down in a park. I think it was one of the darker episodes of the series, especially since the perp was so COLD, saying to the mirror [where he thought Naomi was, who had actually died] something to the effect that he should have killed her for real.

What struck me was Ben Vereen as the father of one of the victims. I was rather surprised for such a name that he only had the brief scene in the church with Logan and Falacci. If this episode was a season later, he could have been reunited with his Tenspeed and Brownshoe co-star, Jeff Goldblum.

But Mike Logan was perfect for this one, I think. His fury was deep and worked here. Also just a bit jarring that Falacci was in such a heavy episode and then just gone in the next [when Julianne Nicholson returned from maternity leave]. I think Alicia Witt did manage to tone down Falacci's hair-trigger attitude well for this one. I so felt for Naomi and Ty's parents. Losing both twins and so brutally is something no parent should endure.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

On another note, "Senseless" was on in the middle of the night on Oxygen a few nights back, the one where the three college kids were gunned down in a park. I think it was one of the darker episodes of the series, especially since the perp was so COLD, saying to the mirror [where he thought Naomi was, who had actually died] something to the effect that he should have killed her for real.

What struck me was Ben Vereen as the father of one of the victims. I was rather surprised for such a name that he only had the brief scene in the church with Logan and Falacci. If this episode was a season later, he could have been reunited with his Tenspeed and Brownshoe co-star, Jeff Goldblum.

But Mike Logan was perfect for this one, I think. His fury was deep and worked here. Also just a bit jarring that Falacci was in such a heavy episode and then just gone in the next [when Julianne Nicholson returned from maternity leave]. I think Alicia Witt did manage to tone down Falacci's hair-trigger attitude well for this one. I so felt for Naomi and Ty's parents. Losing both twins and so brutally is something no parent should endure.

I like Senseless a lot, it’s one of season 7’s better episodes, it was a compelling and chilling case, and yeah it was pretty dark. Logan was really good in this episode. Like I’ve said before, I really liked the Logan and Falacci pairing, and I wish Falacci had stuck around instead of Wheeler coming back, I always found Wheeler rather dull while Falacci had a spark.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I like Senseless a lot, it’s one of season 7’s better episodes, it was a compelling and chilling case, and yeah it was pretty dark. Logan was really good in this episode. Like I’ve said before, I really liked the Logan and Falacci pairing, and I wish Falacci had stuck around instead of Wheeler coming back, I always found Wheeler rather dull while Falacci had a spark.

Falacci was my fav next to Eames.

• Love 3

Still, as was mentioned before, I'm not sure that Alicia Witt would have wanted to be long term as she actually works pretty steadily. Falacci irritated me, at least initially, but considering how others reacted to her, I do think it was intentional. And she did relax by her end. So, had she stayed, I probably would have eventually liked her more.

Wheeler was...fine, I guess. She didn't seem to inspire much in the way of extreme feelings as the other characters did/do. Not sure if being so nondescript was a good or bad thing.

• Love 3

Watching "Best Defense" the other day: They’re going to the theatre with their caviar-loving friends, the curtain goes up in 45 minutes and she sends him down to the cellar for a bottle of wine because he brought up "any old merlot?" Where is this theatre, anyway? Are they going to a puppet show in the backyard? Even if they leave now, they won’t get there, but no, let’s have another bottle of wine. 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

Watching "Best Defense" the other day: They’re going to the theatre with their caviar-loving friends, the curtain goes up in 45 minutes and she sends him down to the cellar for a bottle of wine because he brought up "any old merlot?" Where is this theatre, anyway? Are they going to a puppet show in the backyard? Even if they leave now, they won’t get there, but no, let’s have another bottle of wine. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe whatever they were going to see was so freaking dull that the only way to enjoy it was being sloshed beforehand?  😛 (Especially if it's opera. Sorry to any opera lovers here!)

But that was all weird, anyway, as, later on when being interviewed by Bobby and Alex, the snooty wife mentioned she really did not know Peter and Linda Bonham all that well. Ooookay. But they knew them well enough to go to the theater together?

Whatever!

Scuzzy Peter shooting the intruder probably livened everything up, sad to say.

• Love 2

"The Saint" is ending now on WE. Had he not done political humor/late night, I think Stephen Colbert could have had a decent acting career. Wonder if he gets any royalties when this episode airs?

As an aside, still get a kick out of the fact his mother was named Elizabeth Bennett (albeit with two Ts and not one like the Jane Austen character). Alas, Mr. Darcy didn't seem to appear as Colbert's dad.  😉

• Love 3
On 12/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, basiltherat said:

Well, Bobby was just lucky that Nelda didn't kill somebody and interweave their hair in that pin badge to impress him!

Speaking of which, "Semi-Detached" is on WE as I type, and I still hate the ending, with Bobby seemingly actually feeling something besides disgust for psycho Nelda. Maybe that's why, of the two dark seasons of 4 and 7, I prefer the latter. Because he didn't show similar psycho Marla from "Please Note..." that same idiocy and actually thought of her victims.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Speaking of which, "Semi-Detached" is on WE as I type, and I still hate the ending, with Bobby seemingly actually feeling something besides disgust for psycho Nelda. Maybe that's why, of the two dark seasons of 4 and 7, I prefer the latter. Because he didn't show similar psycho Marla from "Please Note..." that same idiocy and actually thought of her victims.

Agreed completely about the ending of Semi-Detached, it made me sick, I really hated how Goren was in that episode. And then 2 episodes later Goren also went to bat for cannibal sicko Tagman. Don’t know what was up with Goren at the start of season 4 but I’m glad it didn’t last. 

But I much prefer season 4 to season 7 - 4 had a lot of really strong episodes, I can’t say the same about 7. 7 had a lot of soapy dreck and I didn’t like the whole “Goren is a nutjob” theme, plus season 4 had Deakins and Carver while season 7 had dickhead Ross.

• Love 1

But I much prefer season 4 to season 7 - 4 had a lot of really strong episodes, I can’t say the same about 7. 7 had a lot of soapy dreck and I didn’t like the whole “Goren is a nutjob” theme, plus season 4 had Deakins and Carver while season 7 had dickhead Ross.

Yep. Hey are any Chris Noth fans looking forward to the new Equalizer show? Queen Latifah takes no shit.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of Season 4, Magnificat is on right now. I can't even watch most of it because I hate the dad so fucking much.

That was an episode in which I was really disappointed in Carver in for not prosecuting the father. I didn’t buy that they had nothing they could charge him with, he was criminally negligent to say the least, he knew the mom was unstable and left the kids with her anyway. I didn’t buy that they couldn’t charge him.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

That was an episode in which I was really disappointed in Carver in for not prosecuting the father. I didn’t buy that they had nothing they could charge him with, he was criminally negligent to say the least, he knew the mom was unstable and left the kids with her anyway. I didn’t buy that they couldn’t charge him.

I don't know but it did seem like something could be done. I loved Goren's emotional "Mr. Carver!" He could act circles around most actors.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know but it did seem like something could be done. I loved Goren's emotional "Mr. Carver!" He could act circles around most actors.

As I’ve said before, it is interesting how they never called Carver by his first name, always the very formal “Mr. Carver”, not once was his first name ever used. They were very formal on this show, first names were rarely used, compared to the other L&O shows where first names are used a lot more. Even most of the detective partners used each other’s last names. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

As I’ve said before, it is interesting how they never called Carver by his first name, always the very formal “Mr. Carver”, not once was his first name ever used. They were very formal on this show, first names were rarely used, compared to the other L&O shows where first names are used a lot more. Even most of the detective partners used each other’s last names. 

On this show, it seemed like first names were used only in dramatic/highly emotional moments. Bobby usually always called Alex "Eames", but in "Amends" when speaking about Joe's killer, he did call her Alex. Also did the same in the finale.

Alex seemed to alternate between Bobby and Goren, but the former seemed to also be during dramatic/emotional moments, too.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

On this show, it seemed like first names were used only in dramatic/highly emotional moments. Bobby usually always called Alex "Eames", but in "Amends" when speaking about Joe's killer, he did call her Alex. Also did the same in the finale.

Alex seemed to alternate between Bobby and Goren, but the former seemed to also be during dramatic/emotional moments, too.

Yes - I think Goren only called Eames “Alex” twice, in Amends and in the series finale. Eames called Goren “Bobby” plenty of times though. It was interesting to me how even partners almost always used their last names. We never even heard Bishop or Falacci’s first name. Deakins did call the detectives by their first name on occasion, and I found it noteworthy how in season 10 Goren and Joe Hannah were on a first name basis. But yeah this show rarely used first names and they were more formal with each other compared to other L&O shows, where first names were used a lot more often. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes - I think Goren only called Eames “Alex” twice, in Amends and in the series finale. Eames called Goren “Bobby” plenty of times though. It was interesting to me how even partners almost always used their last names. We never even heard Bishop or Falacci’s first name. Deakins did call the detectives by their first name on occasion, and I found it noteworthy how in season 10 Goren and Joe Hannah were on a first name basis. But yeah this show rarely used first names and they were more formal with each other compared to other L&O shows, where first names were used a lot more often. 

I kind of like it.

12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah, Bishop's first name was known, I think, only in press write-ups. And to name her as G. Lynn Bishop was weird in itself as it was never specified just what that "G" stood for. Shrug. Falacci? Same deal. Press write up. Nola Falacci.

And yeah, Bobby calling Joe Hannah by his first name must have been a way to show their history (as the press stuff had them as friends from going through the Academy together). And Bobby was rarely as prickly with Hannah as he was with Ross (and, on rare occasions, Deakins!). See when Hannah called him out for skipping his therapy sessions. Hannah made it clear he would back Bobby, but that he had damned well better do as he was told, in so many words... Bobby would have challenged Deakins/Ross in such a scenario. But didn't with Hannah.

The difference was subtle, but apparent.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, Bishop's first name was known, I think, only in press write-ups. And to name her as G. Lynn Bishop was weird in itself as it was never specified just what that "G" stood for. Shrug. Falacci? Same deal. Press write up. Nola Falacci.

And yeah, Bobby calling Joe Hannah by his first name must have been a way to show their history (as the press stuff had them as friends from going through the Academy together). And Bobby was rarely as prickly with Hannah as he was with Ross (and, on rare occasions, Deakins!). See when Hannah called him out for skipping his therapy sessions. Hannah made it clear he would back Bobby, but that he had damned well better do as he was told, in so many words... Bobby would have challenged Deakins/Ross in such a scenario. But didn't with Hannah.

The difference was subtle, but apparent.

I found it very weird how we never knew Bishop’s or Falacci’s first name. 

I liked Joe Hannah and it was noteworthy how him and Goren were on a first name basis and definitely knew each other for a while, they never called the previous captains by their first names, and Deakins only occasionally called the detectives by their first names. 

But yeah I’ve always found it noteworthy how first names were rarely used on this show, sometimes the partners would use eac( others first names, and that was about it. It was different from the Mothership and SVU where first names were used much more often and detectives and prosecutors were on a more first name basis even. 

Just read that former CNN talk-show host Larry King died. I put it here because he made a cameo on this show in the episode "Weeping Willow" in Season 6, the episode where Michelle Trachtenberg's character stages her own kidnapping.

(He was at the very end on one of the big-ass Times Square monitors interviewing Trachtenberg's character about her upcoming plans.)

May he RIP.

• Love 1