Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: Criminal Intent - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

What's kind of bookend-ish is how J. Smith Cameron, the actress that played Trudy Pomeranski, the perp in "Poison", would pop back up again in Season 6, this time as one of Mark Ford Brady's few surviving victims, in "Endgame".

So she played both a perp and a victim!

I also liked seeing Goren/Eames interact with Briscoe/Green. And, as discussed before, I wish the planned crossover that was planned with Criminal Intent and the Mothership (can't remember if SVU was slated to also be involved!) had happened with a changed plot (as the terrorist plot after 9/11 was a no go, understandably!).

I’ve said many times - I loved when the shows crossed-over and it’s a shame that the crossover appearances were rare in most cases. It would’ve been great to have had a full blown crossover with CI and the Mothership the way the Mothership did with Homicide 3 times and with SVU 1 time. But even just more crossover cameos would’ve been nice, I really wish that Jack McCoy had appeared on CI at some point, especially when Carver was on, it would’ve been cool to see them interact. Also a crossover with SVU would’ve been nice, I would’ve loved to have seen a Munch/Goren interaction or a Fin/Goren interaction!! It’s really too bad they didn’t crossover more, they really should’ve.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’ve said many times - I loved when the shows crossed-over and it’s a shame that the crossover appearances were rare in most cases. It would’ve been great to have had a full blown crossover with CI and the Mothership the way the Mothership did with Homicide 3 times and with SVU 1 time. But even just more crossover cameos would’ve been nice, I really wish that Jack McCoy had appeared on CI at some point, especially when Carver was on, it would’ve been cool to see them interact. Also a crossover with SVU would’ve been nice, I would’ve loved to have seen a Munch/Goren interaction or a Fin/Goren interaction!! It’s really too bad they didn’t crossover more, they really should’ve.

Oh, Munch and Goren. I think we need to get our fan fiction talents on this stat.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, Munch and Goren. I think we need to get our fan fiction talents on this stat.

The two quirkiest detectives!

That said, both Fin and Goren had military backgrounds and both worked in Narcotics before Major Case/Special Victims. I've seen some fics that had them knowing each other or partnered in narcotics. On the shows, it seems a missed opportunity to not have them cross paths.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

The two quirkiest detectives!

That said, both Fin and Goren had military backgrounds and both worked in Narcotics before Major Case/Special Victims. I've seen some fics that had them knowing each other or partnered in narcotics. On the shows, it seems a missed opportunity to not have them cross paths.

They missed a lot of opportunities by not having many crossovers. I would’ve loved to have seen Goren interact with Munch or Fin, and yeah I’ve noticed the similar backgrounds of Goren and Fin as well. They really should’ve done some sort of SVU/CI crossover, and it’s also a shame they didn’t crossover with the Mothership much, aside from ME Rodgers being a prominent recurring character on both shows. Like I’ve said before - it’s a shame McCoy never appeared on CI, I would’ve loved to have seen him interact with the CI characters. 

• Love 3
On 10/9/2020 at 11:08 PM, Xeliou66 said:

They missed a lot of opportunities by not having many crossovers. I would’ve loved to have seen Goren interact with Munch or Fin, and yeah I’ve noticed the similar backgrounds of Goren and Fin as well. They really should’ve done some sort of SVU/CI crossover, and it’s also a shame they didn’t crossover with the Mothership much, aside from ME Rodgers being a prominent recurring character on both shows. Like I’ve said before - it’s a shame McCoy never appeared on CI, I would’ve loved to have seen him interact with the CI characters. 

I was even shocked McCoy even got a MENTION in "Lady's Man" in S8, so on its own little island as Criminal Intent seemed to be. Yeah, Branch, Lewin, and Van Buren as well as Olivet, and Green/Briscoe did show up. But all were in the first half of the series...hell, many of the above in the first SEASON...and I think the show could have and should have been better integrated within the franchise.

Not to disparage Julia Ormond, and I read VDO loved working with her, and she did do a great job, but that was another missed opportunity having Gyson be Goren's shrink. Skoda or Olivet could have done that, too. Oh, well.

On another note, Oxygen is continuing its usual weirdness. Once S2 ends in late October, it will air...Season 6.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I was even shocked McCoy even got a MENTION in "Lady's Man" in S8, so on its own little island as Criminal Intent seemed to be. Yeah, Branch, Lewin, and Van Buren as well as Olivet, and Green/Briscoe did show up. But all were in the first half of the series...hell, many of the above in the first SEASON...and I think the show could have and should have been better integrated within the franchise.

Not to disparage Julia Ormond, and I read VDO loved working with her, and she did do a great job, but that was another missed opportunity having Gyson be Goren's shrink. Skoda or Olivet could have done that, too. Oh, well.

On another note, Oxygen is continuing its usual weirdness. Once S2 ends in late October, it will air...Season 6.

Yeah in the later seasons there was basically no crossover between the other shows and CI, aside from ME Rodgers of course, and it’s a shame that they didn’t crossover more, some crossovers would’ve been good and helped link the shows together. Part of this is because CI eliminated the legal stuff for the most part after season 5 so they couldn’t really do crossovers with legal characters, but it would’ve been nice to have had more cameos from characters from the other shows. 

I loved that they mentioned McCoy in Lady’s Man, it showed that the show still had respect for continuity and was connected to the franchise (something which is totally missing from current SVU, which is way more disconnected from the franchise than CI ever was). McCoy was mentioned at least one other time on CI, in Semi-Professional in season 1. But it’s a real shame he never appeared on CI. 

• Love 1

So am I the only one that didn't feel sorry for the dumb rich lady in "The Gift" who got duped into thinking she was psychic and got her son killed by the other "psychics" because he was trying to expose them? I mean she was so paranoid and insecure it didn't take that much to convince her that her husband was supposedly cheating (he wasn't) and wouldn't listen to her husband or son when they tried to get her to wise up to the fact that these guys were ripping her off. And even after her son was killed, she was still snotty to Goren and Ames with the "I don't discuss my gift with nonbelievers." It wasn't until they had the evidence right in front of her eyes that she finally realized the truth. 

Sorry, but my patience for stupid, gullible people is in the negative polynomials right now. I wouldn't have blamed her husband for dumping her ass after that.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So am I the only one that didn't feel sorry for the dumb rich lady in "The Gift" who got duped into thinking she was psychic and got her son killed by the other "psychics" because he was trying to expose them? I mean she was so paranoid and insecure it didn't take that much to convince her that her husband was supposedly cheating (he wasn't) and wouldn't listen to her husband or son when they tried to get her to wise up to the fact that these guys were ripping her off. And even after her son was killed, she was still snotty to Goren and Ames with the "I don't discuss my gift with nonbelievers." It wasn't until they had the evidence right in front of her eyes that she finally realized the truth. 

Sorry, but my patience for stupid, gullible people is in the negative polynomials right now. I wouldn't have blamed her husband for dumping her ass after that.

Agreed, I didn’t feel sorry for her at all. She was beyond gullible. 

That episode was incredibly convoluted, had one of the most complex plots in CI history.

• Love 4

The art dealer in "The Gift" that the husband was accused of cheating on said gullible wife with would later pop back up in the Season 7 premiere, "Amends", as the wife/widow of Alex's husband's partner. The one Alex was reminiscing about Joe and her husband with and looking at pictures.

Florencia Lozano played both characters (but is best known from being on the soap One Life To Live).

• Useful 3

Silver Lining was on today - Really good episode with an intricate plot, but I have one question - how did the silver that Wesley stole in Chicago wind up in Victor Burke’s collection? That was never explained, did he sell the silver and Burke wound up buying it? I couldn’t figure that out. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Silver Lining was on today - Really good episode with an intricate plot, but I have one question - how did the silver that Wesley stole in Chicago wind up in Victor Burke’s collection? That was never explained, did he sell the silver and Burke wound up buying it? I couldn’t figure that out. 

You know, the more times I watch this show and as much as I love it, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense most of the time.

• Useful 2
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You know, the more times I watch this show and as much as I love it, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense most of the time.

Some episodes are definitely over complicated and there are some plot holes in places, there are definitely more plot holes on CI than on the Mothership and most of SVU, likely because the cases could get so complex. But still, unless I missed something, that’s a pretty big plot hole in Silver Lining that was never explained - just how did Burke get the silver that Wesley stole from Chicago?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Some episodes are definitely over complicated and there are some plot holes in places, there are definitely more plot holes on CI than on the Mothership and most of SVU, likely because the cases could get so complex. But still, unless I missed something, that’s a pretty big plot hole in Silver Lining that was never explained - just how did Burke get the silver that Wesley stole from Chicago?

I don't know. I just watched the same episode 45 minutes ago and I couldn't begin to tell you. Also if whatsherface was pregnant, why was Wesley ordering Champagne for them to drink up in their room?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know. I just watched the same episode 45 minutes ago and I couldn't begin to tell you. Also if whatsherface was pregnant, why was Wesley ordering Champagne for them to drink up in their room?

Yeah that little plot hole has been brought up before, but a much bigger hole is how Burke got the silver that Wesley stole, since that’s what put the whole murder in motion. Seems like a huge thing not to explain. 

• Love 1

What gets ME is, how can a dead body just sit on a bench, emitting no smell, and NO ONE before the kids and mom noticed someone is not moving? The whole episode was weird. Yet I like it, anyway.

And David Harbour played a good sympathetic perp here and was creepy as hell in "Family Values" in S8.

As for the champagne and a pregnant lady, I have heard/read that ONE glass every so often isn't supposed to be too detrimental, but yeah, what a waste of a bottle.

I liked the actress playing Wesley's beaten-down mom at the end: "Hope is for suckers, detective."

• Love 3

I saw the final episodes of season 5 today - while I liked how they gave Deakins an exit story, unlike how some other characters such as Carver never even got an explanation for their departure, I wasn’t really satisfied with how Deakins exited, I didn’t really like how that scumbag Frank Adair basically bullied him into retiring, I mean I got that Deakins wanted to protect his detectives and Officer Martinez, but I just wasn’t satisified with Deakins retiring rather than fighting Adair and his cronies. I wish his exit had been better, I really liked Deakins and he was sorely missed when he was gone. 

I did like each of the individual episodes that at the end of season 5, and I liked seeing Deakins go out in the field in his final episode and then saying “what are they gonna do, fire me” when telling Logan and Barek to continue their investigation into the double murder in Nassau County, and I liked Deakins’ goodbye with Logan, Barek and Carver, but I wish Goren and Eames had been in Deakins’ final episode to say goodbye, they had a nice scene with him at the end of the previous episode but I really wish they had been shown in the squad room with the others just to have a final goodbye scene with Deakins since they had worked with him for so long.

And I really would’ve liked to have seen Deakins make a cameo after his departure just to see what he was up to in his retirement, it would’ve been really nice to have seen him again, same with Carver, at least they explained Deakins’ departure, it was pathetic how they never explained Carver’s departure. I like to think that Carver went on to become a judge, while Deakins got to enjoy his retirement with his family. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

And I really would’ve liked to have seen Deakins make a cameo after his departure just to see what he was up to in his retirement, it would’ve been really nice to have seen him again, same with Carver, at least they explained Deakins’ departure, it was pathetic how they never explained Carver’s departure. I like to think that Carver went on to become a judge, while Deakins got to enjoy his retirement with his family. 

True!  It always bugged me with L.O. that they either never gave an explanation as to why a character left or never gave an update as to how that character is doing.  Logan comes to mind with that--while I liked his final episode and a reasonable understanding as to why he left but would it have killed someone on the later seasons to at least mention how he was--what he was doing??  Especially him because he had to really really tough there at the end....

I hate to keep comparing the 2 shows HOWEVER CSI always gave updates on their characters--how they were, etc.  Or killed them off completely.  As sad as that is at least we knew where the F they were....

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

True!  It always bugged me with L.O. that they either never gave an explanation as to why a character left or never gave an update as to how that character is doing.  Logan comes to mind with that--while I liked his final episode and a reasonable understanding as to why he left but would it have killed someone on the later seasons to at least mention how he was--what he was doing??  Especially him because he had to really really tough there at the end....

I hate to keep comparing the 2 shows HOWEVER CSI always gave updates on their characters--how they were, etc.  Or killed them off completely.  As sad as that is at least we knew where the F they were....

Logan’s exit from CI I was okay with, but it would’ve been nice to have heard about him as well. Same with Deakins. Not even explaining what happened to Carver was inexcusable. It really would’ve been great to have had a cameo from them after they left or just someone mentioning them. 

I liked how the L&O franchise has never killed many characters off. 

It’s really a shame how modern day SVU is such trash and has no appreciation for the franchise as a whole, because current SVU could give updates on some of these characters, but the SVU writers have less than zero respect for continuity and the franchise. I’m still pissed about SVU getting the record and not the Mothership. 

• Love 2

Watching "Icarus" on Peacock and I still get a grin watching Alex, as she and Bobby stand with the crowd as Amanda Rollins gives her drunken eulogy for Mark and her meltdown as she is forced to stop talking, as she gives a sort of sarcastic grin and says, "They should've sold tickets to THIS!" Kathryn Erbe sold the entire delivery.

And Patti Smith, for being a singer and not an actress, did a good job playing Goren's professor friend. (I read she did the show because she was a huge fan, which is cool.) Always loved her take on "Because The Night", a Bruce Springsteen song she changed some lyrics to [and he seemed fine with it!] and had a big hit with in 1979:

• Love 3
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Watching "Icarus" on Peacock and I still get a grin watching Alex, as she and Bobby stand with the crowd as Amanda Rollins gives her drunken eulogy for Mark and her meltdown as she is forced to stop talking, as she gives a sort of sarcastic grin and says, "They should've sold tickets to THIS!" Kathryn Erbe sold the entire delivery.

And Patti Smith, for being a singer and not an actress, did a good job playing Goren's professor friend. (I read she did the show because she was a huge fan, which is cool.) Always loved her take on "Because The Night", a Bruce Springsteen song she changed some lyrics to [and he seemed fine with it!] and had a big hit with in 1979:

I saw Patti Smith in concert in the seventies, she did  a version of You Light Up My Life that blew the roof off the joint.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I saw Patti Smith in concert in the seventies, she did  a version of You Light Up My Life that blew the roof off the joint.

That kind of surprises me. I'd have thought that song would be too twee/sickly sweet for Patti. Who knew?  🙂

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

That kind of surprises me. I'd have thought that song would be too twee/sickly sweet for Patti. Who knew?  🙂

Right? That's probably what made it so outstanding. She nailed it. Debby Boone wished she had those pipes.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2020 at 12:22 AM, peacheslatour said:

Right? That's probably what made it so outstanding. She nailed it. Debby Boone wished she had those pipes.

I know both U2 and Pearl Jam have covered Patti's "Dancing Barefoot". But back on topic, it's weird, but I did buy her as a literary professor. Maybe the office she was in made her seem more scholarly or something.

I also liked the way, after Bobby commented on something, she was all, "Are you sure you need my help?" and Bobby agreed that he did need it.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know both U2 and Pearl Jam have covered Patti's "Dancing Barefoot". But back on topic, it's weird, but I did buy her as a literary professor. Maybe the office she was in made her seem more scholarly or something.

I also liked the way, after Bobby commented on something, she was all, "Are you sure you need my help?" and Bobby agreed that he did need it.

It's like when Fran Lebowitz shows up on SVU as a judge. Most people know for her scathing satire but she comes off really well playing a judge.

• Love 3

ReWatching S1 on Peacock. Does anyone else ever find themselves rewinding cute moments a few times? On Ep 5 now and there’s a brief scene where Bobby dances with a woman. I love the little moments like that. 

I had almost forgotten how much I love this show. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LemonSoda said:

ReWatching S1 on Peacock. Does anyone else ever find themselves rewinding cute moments a few times? On Ep 5 now and there’s a brief scene where Bobby dances with a woman. I love the little moments like that. 

I had almost forgotten how much I love this show. 

This show did have some underappreciated funny moments and lines, a lot of them with Goren, I liked that scene in Jones you are talking about and I liked the scene in the interrogation room in episode 4 with Goren and the mentally ill guy and Deakins line “the Goren show’s back” or something like that. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

This show did have some underappreciated funny moments and lines, a lot of them with Goren, I liked that scene in Jones you are talking about and I liked the scene in the interrogation room in episode 4 with Goren and the mentally ill guy and Deakins line “the Goren show’s back” or something like that. 

I loved that line! 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I also liked, as Deakins watched Goren and the mentally ill guy, when Deakins asked Alex if said guy was Mirandized and Alex said he waived, Deakins sardonically/sort of amused responds, "That'll hold up!"

Me too! 

• Love 4

I said this before, but another thing I liked about that scene with Goren and the homeless guy is, after all was said and done, Alex remarked to Bobby how good he was with Howard [the homeless guy], and Bobby just sipped a bottle of water and quipped, "Lots of practice!", giving a hint to Bobby's past early on.

(I don't think we explicitly found out about Bobby's mother having schizophrenia until "See Me" in Season 2.)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I said this before, but another thing I liked about that scene with Goren and the homeless guy is, after all was said and done, Alex remarked to Bobby how good he was with Howard [the homeless guy], and Bobby just sipped a bottle of water and quipped, "Lots of practice!", giving a hint to Bobby's past early on.

(I don't think we explicitly found out about Bobby's mother having schizophrenia until "See Me" in Season 2.)

Wasn't his brother homeless?

• Useful 2
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Wasn't his brother homeless?

If I remember correctly his brother was part time homeless.  I think his issue was he had a gambling and drug problem that left him homeless at times.  He was up and then he was down--rollercoaster type of thing.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2020 at 8:05 AM, Dirtybubble said:

If I remember correctly his brother was part time homeless.  I think his issue was he had a gambling and drug problem that left him homeless at times.  He was up and then he was down--rollercoaster type of thing.

I just remember Bobby giving him his coat and then a dead dude showed up in the morgue and Bobby went to identify him and it turned out his brother had sold the coat.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
On 11/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, peacheslatour said:

I just remember Bobby giving him his coat and than a dead dude showed up in the morgue and Bobby went to identify him and it turned out his brother had sold the coat.

Yeah. But don't forget, when Nicole offed Frank, he was living in a rundown apartment building. So while he was briefly clean (as he was at the beginning of "Frame"), he must have found the place.

• Love 2

I watched Boots on the Ground from season 10 today, good episode, it was a complex plot but it was pretty understandable what happened in the end, the one thing that I wasn’t quite sure of was why exactly Rebecca killed Matt, I mean I know Terrance asked her to, but what exactly was her motive in going along with it? I know she was afraid for her family because Terrance told her her cousin in Israel had been killed, which Terrance had actually ordered himself, but did she think Matt was somehow responsible for putting her family in danger? Perhaps because of the files he had accessed? That part was a bit confusing to me, she said she killed Matt for her family, but why exactly did she see Matt as a danger to her family? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

That part was a bit confusing to me, she said she killed Matt for her family, but why exactly did she see Matt as a danger to her family? 

Because the Boots on the Ground guy threatened to kill more of her family if she didn't. Since he'd already had a 12 year old child murdered in an "accident", she believed him.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Because the Boots on the Ground guy threatened to kill more of her family if she didn't. Since he'd already had a 12 year old child murdered in an "accident", she believed him.

Okay - so Rebecca knew that Terrance was responsible for her cousin’s death? That makes sense, although it makes me question why she didn’t just kill Terrance instead.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Okay - so Rebecca knew that Terrance was responsible for her cousin’s death? That makes sense, although it makes me question why she didn’t just kill Terrance instead.

Letting her know he was responsible made the threat real. Why didn't she opt for killing Terrance? He was the head of a security company, surely well-protected and never alone; she probably wouldn't have wanted to put any innocent bystanders in danger either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I watched Boots on the Ground from season 10 today, good episode, it was a complex plot but it was pretty understandable what happened in the end, the one thing that I wasn’t quite sure of was why exactly Rebecca killed Matt, I mean I know Terrance asked her to, but what exactly was her motive in going along with it? I know she was afraid for her family because Terrance told her her cousin in Israel had been killed, which Terrance had actually ordered himself, but did she think Matt was somehow responsible for putting her family in danger? Perhaps because of the files he had accessed? That part was a bit confusing to me, she said she killed Matt for her family, but why exactly did she see Matt as a danger to her family? 

It was because of her family.

Remember, Goren mentioned that her 12-year-old cousin had been killed by a hit and run - once Terrence Brooks had orchestrated. Likely as a warning to Rebecca to do Terrence's dirty work - or else. Probably more of her family being harmed. As Rebecca tearfully told Goren, it was Matt or her family.

Terrence was one of the most cold-blooded perps in the entire series, to me. If anything, I thought Naomi's reasoning of indirectly helping was weak sauce. She thought Ian/Matt was cheating on her as her dead hubby did. Big whoop. So dump him, don't KILL him. (And he wasn't even cheating; Naomi fell for Terrence's schemes, when he ordered that extra nightie to be delivered to Rebecca. That's the worst of it. I did like Goren sparring with Ian/Matt's mother in her jail cell, though.)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

It was because of her family.

Remember, Goren mentioned that her 12-year-old cousin had been killed by a hit and run - once Terrence Brooks had orchestrated. Likely as a warning to Rebecca to do Terrence's dirty work - or else. Probably more of her family being harmed. As Rebecca tearfully told Goren, it was Matt or her family.

Terrence was one of the most cold-blooded perps in the entire series, to me. If anything, I thought Naomi's reasoning of indirectly helping was weak sauce. She thought Ian/Matt was cheating on her as her dead hubby did. Big whoop. So dump him, don't KILL him. (And he wasn't even cheating; Naomi fell for Terrence's schemes, when he ordered that extra nightie to be delivered to Rebecca. That's the worst of it. I did like Goren sparring with Ian/Matt's mother in her jail cell, though.)

Terrance was pure evil I agree. Naomi was pathetic as well. I like the episode a lot, it was intriguing and suspenseful and ended with each of the suspects being guilty of something and going to jail, it was a plot that was complex but not too complex to follow, like some CI plots were. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Terrance was pure evil I agree. Naomi was pathetic as well. I like the episode a lot, it was intriguing and suspenseful and ended with each of the suspects being guilty of something and going to jail, it was a plot that was complex but not too complex to follow, like some CI plots were. 

I do like that Goren's military past was brought up even in passing. Terrence mockingly mentioned Goren being part of CID, intelligence. Seems like ol' Terrence should have taken that bit to heart. He played it cool, but once Goren shoved out that cart with the useless files, Brooks should have known his ass was grass.

But I guess his arrogance and evil overtook his common sense.

(Goren mockingly saluting him as Terrence was being cuffed was a nice touch, to me.)

• Love 2