Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order Discussion Topic (2019 - 2021)

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lookit the Daily Show Alumni who appeared on Mothership!!

1. Aasif Mandvi ***

***All three shows!!!😄😄

Aasif was not only on all three shows, but is in the top tier of the standings for most characters played. For a few years he seemed to be their go to choice whenever they needed a Southeast Asian character.

14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lookit the Daily Show Alumni who appeared on Mothership!!

1. Jason Jones
  2. Rob Corrdry
  3. Samantha Bee

And speaking of go to choices, in the final years of the show TDS was definitely their go to choice when the needed someone to play an asshole in a non-recurring role.

Incidentally for anyone who hasn't seen it, Samantha Bee discussed her L&O appearance on her own show and how it related to the 2016 election -

8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I agree that the cold opens were borrowed from CI, I preferred the openings of someone stumbling upon a crime scene but I didn’t mind the cold opens we got in the final seasons.

I also don't mind. Some worked and some didn't, just like the "classic formula" cold opens. And in retrospect everyone involved did a great job trying to keep things fresh and respond to network notes while remaining true to the spirit of the show and not sacrificing quality* (*Milena Govich excepted!) People might have complained, but those tweaks are nothing compared to the convuslions the spinoffs went through under the same pressures.

Edited by wknt3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Aasif was not only on all three shows, but is in the top tier of the standings for most characters played. For a few years he seemed to be their go to choice whenever they needed a Southeast Asian character.

Ha. So true! And while I agree the cold openings weren't that bad, even if I had to remind myself that it was the Mothership and not Criminal Intent, it kept using the latter's formula of having the suspects/witnesses/defendants having conversations amongst themselves without any of the main cast=and that keeps taking me out of the episode.

And why is it that every former Assistant ADA that we never saw on the show, returns, are dirty, crooked, liars and murderers? We had Diana in "Trophy" and then that smarmy Mark Woll in "A Boy Gone Astray" and then showing up again in "For the Defense." Just the sound of his nasally, smarmy, self-important voice made me hate him. And of course Charlie Harmon from season 13. And aside from the two killed off, Abby never showed up in a cameo, considering she worked just across the way in the U.S. Attorney's office when she left. Y'all know I don't care about Rohmbot, so didn't mind she never came back.

But I 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 at the end of "Reality Bites" at this exchange:

Cutter: "And they've asked Arthur Branch to be the judge."

McCoy: "You're kidding, right?" Fade to black.

Me: 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good GOD, but did Amy Madigan look like the Crypt Keeper in "Innocence."

And it was in "A Boy Gone Astray" that we saw the new Chief of Detectives, give Van Buren the card of his contact who provided medicinal marijuana, tell her to make sure she showers after inhaling so that smell of reefer doesn't stick to her clothes, and the mints! I really liked this Chief. And now I'm gonna have to Google to find out if different precincts have Chiefs? Different burroughs? Because the ASSHOLE Chief in Criminal Intent was NOT this Chief. And he was a survivor of testicular cancer? He said it was "Ball Cancer" which I took to mean his balls, which, you know.

And I know Van Buren had TWO sons, but we only saw the older one during her chemo and at home. That's right, I'm one of those anal retentive viewers who notices shit like this. Now I'm gonna watch to see WHEN her wedding rings came off during Season 14-15, since in the premiere of 20, she told her oncologist that she'd been divorced for five years.

And I knew I shouldn't have watched "Dignity." I should have just deleted it from my dvr. How anyone thought that this was anywhere near comparable to "Life Choice" in terms of nuance and great storytelling from the opposite side, continues to amaze me. You had Ben's "Just because I'm against abortion means I can't prosecute" those who break the law, with Ben's personal insult at such a suggestion to Schiff, was so much better than Mike's hamfisted PREACHING about how Roe v. Wade was obsolete and that he was against abortion, and the law needed to change, blah, blah, blah. And then Connie turning over to the defense the existence of the nurse who was there when the MURDER VICTIM had botched a late-term abortion, and ended up killing the baby (I REALLY DIDN"T need that visual in my brain), because of that one witness who decided to have her baby, even though she knew her baby wouldn't live a day or two after birth. Just to give her "dignity." Right. Having the baby suffer, struggle to breathe before dying, was so much more HUMANE. Just leave your fucking politics at the door, Connie. Her and Mike's jobs were to follow the LAW. I'm going to have to watch "Life Choice" just to cleanse my brain. 

It just seemed that in the last two or three years of the show, the "headlines" they ripped were too close in time, and were cases and stories that were taking place in the current time, instead of five or even 10 years in the past, and too much in my face. 

This is going off my dvr until Season one comes back into the rotation.

• Love 2

Dignity enrages me every time I make the mistake of watching that pile of shit. I love season 20 but Dignity is probably the second worst episode in L&O history. It was nothing more than outrageous anti choice propaganda. Bernard’s comment about rape victims giving birth was almost as bad as Serena defending the parents who sold their kid to a pedophile IMO, Bernard had never shown any signs of being an anti choice fanatic and him spouting extremist rhetoric was highly OOC. There were no strong pro choice arguments made. Cutter comparing the defendant to John Brown was ridiculous as well and I was glad Jack called him on it. 

And yeah the whole testimony from the witness who decided to have the baby that died after less than a day was ridiculous bullshit, giving birth just so a baby can suffer for a few hours and then die is NOT more humane than having an abortion, and that should’ve been pointed out. That whole testimony was 100% irrelevant to the case and should never have been allowed. 

Dignity was crap all around, I don’t know why I ever watch that episode. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

On a lighter note -

That was hilarious. and True. How often do I flip through my cable stations, Netlix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime before sighing and watching one of my DVR'd L & O eps instead? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh. Season 20’s season premiere covers early July to early August. Episode 2 jumps back to July. And it’s clearly not a “flashback” episode.

I will reiterate (as I haven’t watched this season since its original airing) here that I’m disappointed Show decided to have Anita’s marriage break up (and NO MENTION OF IT) but stupid Rey’s was the ONLY one to remain. The two glimpses we got of Mr. VanBuren, he seemed decent. They coulda recast him if they wanted Ernie Hudson.

But noooooo. Let’s just have him be a cheating asshole who gave Anita cancer!🤬

Not to say that Epatha didn’t knock this story out of the park, because she did. But she’s AWESOME in EVERYTHING, but I would have liked it if they could have shown it with Anita and her husband dealing with this together.

Debra died. 

I saw Tragedy on Rye tonight, what an epically stupid ending, so just because someone stopped making phone calls to the victim when the victim died means he’s the killer? That isn’t nearly enough evidence to bust down someone’s door and arrest them, especially when 3 other people had already been convicted of the crime!! And why hadn’t anyone gone over the phone records until after the verdict?! STUPID!! And conveniently the guy who stopped calling the victim had the murder weapon right there in his house so it was all wrapped up nice and neat. What an epically stupid ending. Serena was whiny as always, even if she was right in the end, and Branch was just a blowhard who refused to admit he could be wrong and instead made wiseass remarks. I don’t dislike Branch the way others do, I don’t care for his politics but I don’t mind him, but god he was irritating in this one. 

Next up was The Ring, not a bad episode but not great either, it was interesting how 9/11 was directly tied into the plot. Branch was obnoxious once again IMO, spewing his political positions about Roe vs Wade that had nothing to do with the case, and I was glad that McCoy shut him up by telling him he could rewrite judicial history when he was appointed to the Supreme Court. It was another episode where they arrested the defendant based on flimsy evidence, Hagen never should’ve been arrested on the evidence they had, and he turned out to be innocent, Hagen would’ve if they had looked deeper into the case they would’ve realized it was the fiancé who was the guilty party. 

• Love 1

Holy crap I'd forgotten that shit that Cutter pulled in "Immortal" when he asked Van Buren if the pharma company that was using Robinson's and his heirs' blood to make cancer meds, was also making the meds she was taking for her cancer. There was NO reason for him not to discuss it with her prior to the testimony. And I wasn't paying attention to the cards, so I don't know how much time went by between that episode (21) and the series finale "Rubber Room" (23) where they had apparently made up.

As I was watching the finale, I remember when it originally aired, how all of us at TWoP, came up with what Lennie would say to that idiot kid who thought seeing a school blow up would be "epic." I'm going to try and see if I can find it. Good Times! Good Times!

And Jack was awesome, telling that one teacher's lawyer: "How far up your ass is your head?" And when he ripped him a new one, telling him he'd quit his job and represent all who would sue the Board of Education and especially HIS ass.

With all the talk of unions and collective bargaining, (and I admit, I'm ignorant about them), I don't understand how Van Buren's medical bills weren't covered. So that she had try and get a loan to pay for them, or that her squad threw a fund raiser for her so she'd be able to pay them. Ironically, no "Order" in the finale. Just...Law!

And now it's going off my dvr until Season 1 comes back. They just jumped to the middle of Season 13.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

I saw Chosen today, and I wanted to slap Serena once again in this one, she had a lot of nerve to call McCoy a bigot for simply stating the facts, her whining was really tiresome. 

The bigots in this episode were the defendant, his wife and Judge Miller, I thought McCoy’s question to the wife about whether she would think the murder was okay if the victim was Jewish was a great question, and Miller clearly was biased towards the defendant because they were both Jewish, I loved McCoy going off on his sorry ass. McCoy did a great job IMO and I was glad that the jury saw through Dworkin’s defense and convicted the scumbag. 

I do love the episode, Dworkin is one of my favorite defense lawyers, he’s extremely entertaining and clever (I loved that they brought him back to SVU last season), and any Briscoe/Green investigation is entertaining to watch, it was funny at the start when the Wall Street douchebags who broke into the car and found the body said they weren’t common criminals and then when Briscoe found out they worked on Wall Street he quipped “so that part about you being common criminals isn’t far off”. Branch’s story about the judge asking him to define strict scrutiny was funny as well. But the defendant, his wife, Judge Miller and Serena all really piss me off in this one. 

• Love 2

Marathon time on Sundance and I see there is one on WE as well... 

Absentia, was okay, I saw towards the ending and I thought Jack was lucky that March plead guilty but I think he could have gotten away with it. Why would he tell his wife that he had committed murder, so stupid.

EDIT: What channel do you guys watch this show on? WE or Sundance? 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

DIT: What channel do you guys watch this show on? WE or Sundance? 

Those that have all the channels, watch them on those: WE, Sundance, Escape. Except I think I was the only one watching it on Escape. I don't get WE anymore and can't get grandfathered in, because I had dropped the higher tier/more expensive plan. So I just watched on Sundance and Escape.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Those that have all the channels, watch them on those: WE, Sundance, Escape. Except I think I was the only one watching it on Escape. I don't get WE anymore and can't get grandfathered in, because I had dropped the higher tier/more expensive plan. So I just watched on Sundance and Escape.

Well, if you have a Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire, there is always Sling. WE is among the channels one can stream with. I did that for a while until there were just too many channels leaving the lower tiers for higher and bit the bullet and upgraded.

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, if you have a Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire, there is always Sling. WE is among the channels one can stream with. I did that for a while until there were just too many channels leaving the lower tiers for higher and bit the bullet and upgraded.

I have a first generation Apple TV but have NO idea how to use it. It didn't come with directions. And I'm a technoturd.😜

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have a first generation Apple TV but have NO idea how to use it. It didn't come with directions. And I'm a technoturd.😜

Wish I could help you, but I have Roku - which is user friendly! Look for sales and get the Roku or Fire Stick. Very easy! Maybe someone here has Apple TV and can give some pointers.

I got a great deal in the fire stick! Woohoo! So Sling airs the early seasons?

Also, topic? The actress playing the killer’s wife (Who I LOATHED), also played the nurse who was sterilizing all those poor girls, that Pod!Paul defended in his last appearance. 

I detested her for trying to make the murder trial about the political climate and conflict between Israel and Palestine. Lecturing the jury and emotionally trying to guilt them into nullifying the case. I LOVED Jack’s quiet 

You finished?” And then shutting her up by asking her if she would feel the same if the victim, Meeks had been Jewish.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I got a great deal in the fire stick! Woohoo! So Sling airs the early seasons?

Also, topic? The actress playing the killer’s wife (Who I LOATHED), also played the nurse who was sterilizing all those poor girls, that Pod!Paul defended in his last appearance. 

I detested her for trying to make the murder trial about the political climate and conflict between Israel and Palestine. Lecturing the jury and emotionally trying to guilt them into nullifying the case. I LOVED Jack’s quiet 

You finished?” And then shutting her up by asking her if she would feel the same if the victim, Meeks had been Jewish.

Sling airs WE, the channel. Not just Law & Order. It's a live stream of the network as it airs. Sling also has Sundance, USA, and a bunch of other networks you can choose.

• Love 1

Found the “Rubber Room” comments from TWoP:

The first quote was by me, and netblu came up with what Lennie would have said had Orbach still been with us and in the show:

For all my bitching, whining and ranting after learning this show was to be cancelled, I was very thoroughly satisfied with last night's finale.

What a way to go, indeed.

If anything irked me, it was the very don'tgiveadamn attitude of the Feds regarding the bomb threat. Excuse me, but ever since 9/11 all cops and federal authorities are quick to suspect first, take action, and then apologize later, if necessary. YMMV

Maybe because I'm not a parent, but I couldn't understand the grand jury's reluctance to grant Cutter the subpoenas, considering the evidence he'd provided. I mean, if they had the skimpiest of evidence, I could understand them not wanting their kids privacy violated, but it appeared to me, that Cutter had more than enough. What would have satisfied them?

What scared me the most was the Eczema kid's very nonchalant attitude about a potential bombing of a school or worse. He came off very desensitized. I wonder if all kids are so cynical and have a 'don't care' it'll be awesome to have a piece of history attitude?

Other than that, totally loved the episode. Thank you, thank you, Thank you, Rene Balcer.

Along with others, if the show isn't picked up or a movie isn't done (not that I was a fan of a movie wrap up), I'm fine with it. It was a very satisfying finale.

That was another moment where I found myself wishing Briscoe was there, to say something like "Yeah kid, the school he blows up could be yours, and your body could wind up being a 'piece of history'. Wouldn't that be 'epic'"?

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Sling airs WE, the channel. Not just Law & Order. It's a live stream of the network as it airs. Sling also has Sundance, USA, and a bunch of other networks you can choose.

Right, I got that. I wuz confused about Sling reference.

3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Found the “Rubber Room” comments from TWoP:

The first quote was by me, and netblu came up with what Lennie would have said had Orbach still been with us and in the show:

Right, I got that. I wuz confused about Sling reference.

No big deal. 🙂 Just remember it's an app that streams cable (and in some areas, some broadcast - but not mine) channels for a fee. Pretty simple! If you have questions, you can PM me so we can take this off board.

• Love 1

Just watched the episode with Lucille Arnaz and the other called Suicide Box. 

I thought it was a good episode even though I wondered if she would have gotten a not guilty verdict if Arthur hadn't threatened to charge her daughter. 

Suicide Box was sad and reminded me of a case in San Diego where a woman was tied up and the ME said it was a suicide. The woman was Asian, I think but it was strange how they came up with suicide.  I think the ME in the show just messed up but that doesn't give Stevie the right to shoot at a cop who had nothing to do with it. 

There was a point when I started recording and watching this show but can't remember what year I started but I loved Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I saw Chosen today, and I wanted to slap Serena once again in this one, she had a lot of nerve to call McCoy a bigot for simply stating the facts, her whining was really tiresome. 

The bigots in this episode were the defendant, his wife and Judge Miller, I thought McCoy’s question to the wife about whether she would think the murder was okay if the victim was Jewish was a great question, and Miller clearly was biased towards the defendant because they were both Jewish, I loved McCoy going off on his sorry ass. McCoy did a great job IMO and I was glad that the jury saw through Dworkin’s defense and convicted the scumbag. 

I do love the episode, Dworkin is one of my favorite defense lawyers, he’s extremely entertaining and clever (I loved that they brought him back to SVU last season), and any Briscoe/Green investigation is entertaining to watch, it was funny at the start when the Wall Street douchebags who broke into the car and found the body said they weren’t common criminals and then when Briscoe found out they worked on Wall Street he quipped “so that part about you being common criminals isn’t far off”. Branch’s story about the judge asking him to define strict scrutiny was funny as well. But the defendant, his wife, Judge Miller and Serena all really piss me off in this one. 

I hated Serena in this one too for that. I loved Jack's question. That is always my question when anyone brings up religion or uses it as a defense or justification. Would they have been okay with it if the victim was Jewish? Well, no of course not. They would be outraged. They'd be horrified. I hated the Judge as much as Serena. Why are you, a Judge, completely okay with the defense and its okay for Jewish people or the defendant trying to say its okay because they weren't Jewish? Why isn't that outraging you? Ticking you off? Angry that the defendant wants to use your religion to get away with murder? He's not worried about his bias isn't going to come up after trial? When the DA appeals based on him? That he won't face the disciplinary committee or whoever Judges face when they mess up? He'd have a hard time defending his actions. The wife too of course. Oh, so if the victim was Jewish then not its not okay? Its totally okay your husband killed someone because he wasn't Jewish. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Just watched the episode with Lucille Arnaz and the other called Suicide Box. 

I thought it was a good episode even though I wondered if she would have gotten a not guilty verdict if Arthur hadn't threatened to charge her daughter. 

Suicide Box was sad and reminded me of a case in San Diego where a woman was tied up and the ME said it was a suicide. The woman was Asian, I think but it was strange how they came up with suicide.  I think the ME in the show just messed up but that doesn't give Stevie the right to shoot at a cop who had nothing to do with it. 

There was a point when I started recording and watching this show but can't remember what year I started but I loved Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston. 

Suicide Box is sad and depresses me. As much as I don't like M.E. I can see how easy it is for that to happen. Especially in a big city where you have too many bodies and too few M.E. to handle them all. I wouldn't be surprised if they are understaffed. I live in a medium size city that is getting bigger ever year and our M.E.s are over worked, understaffed and sure it comes up ever couple years about increasing the budget to hire a couple more. But that never happens. I wouldn't be surprised if other cities had that same problem.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Rubber Room is really good. I always tear up at the end of it.

Agreed. While I'm still pissed at the NBC pinheads (to used David Letterman's term) for cancelling the show and the way they treated the show over the last couple of seasons, I have to admit that they did end up with a pretty much perfect finale that may have ended up better than if they knew they were writing a finale going in. I don't tear up at the end as I think it's a happy ending, but what does get me every time as the son and SO of teachers is the scenes in the school and "By the way, I'm a math teacher" line. As much as I am aggravated being reminded of how poorly NBC handled ending the show it's nothing compared to the fact that the plot and dialogue are still so relevant and relatable today when it should be as outdated as the treatment of the internet in "Rebels"....

• Love 5

Rubber Room was a terrific finale IMO. A great episode, with a compelling plot from start to finish. I loved McCoy blowing up at the union shill, that was an epic scene. I also have to say I was glad that the grand jury shut down Cutter’s attempt to search the phones of hundreds of students, that would’ve been a gross violation of privacy rights and I was glad that got shut down and they had to find another way. Lupo and Bernard’s takedown of the shooter at the end was exciting. And I loved the final scene of the series where all of the characters were at the party for Van Buren, it was nice to see all of the main characters in the final scene together. I liked that ME Rodgers was at the party for Van Buren as well, and it was great to see Skoda helping to consult on the case.

I liked that the finale wasn’t over the top and didn’t include drastic changes in the lives of each character, they would just continue on doing what they were doing, the viewers just wouldn’t see it anymore. It was realistic and fitting for L&O.

I thought it was an outstanding episode and a great way to end the show, while I hated that L&O didn’t get to season 21, especially since it was producing excellent episodes and was a very high quality show in the final seasons, Rubber Room was an excellent way to end the show IMO. 

• Love 10

I didn't care for Genuis and I thought the idea of a guy asking for the death penalty would not really happen in real life. But I would think that the courts would not allow him to be put to death if he asked for it even if it was a felony. 

Maritime with the football player who went missing with two others was interesting and sad at the same time. I would have thought the police would have been watching the bank accounts once they found out they were missing. 

Didn't care for Seer as I thought it was strange that they didn't try to find out about the glove more and I would have though the defense should have picked up on it. 

Lennie is so loveable and such a wise ass, I loved him. I do wonder how he would have been with Lupo or Bernard towards the end if the cancer didn't kill him. 😞

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I didn't care for Genuis and I thought the idea of a guy asking for the death penalty would not really happen in real life.

It has. I recall watching some true crime show, maybe Snapped, maybe something else. But it was said that the defendant had asked for death - and the jury acquiesced.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I didn't care for Genuis and I thought the idea of a guy asking for the death penalty would not really happen in real life. But I would think that the courts would not allow him to be put to death if he asked for it even if it was a felony. 

While the part about him being a genius wasn't part of the real story, the first person executed in the US after the death penalty was brought back, Gary Gilmore did refuse his appeals and ask to be executed after his conviction.  His mother tried to appeal on his behalf and the SCOTUS turned her down since he wasn't doing it himself.  That part is based loosely on his case.  http://murderpedia.org/male.G/g1/gilmore-gary-mark.htm

• Love 1

Aww, NUTS! I shoulda scheduled this on Escape last month! I missed the Season 7 trilogy!

But, ❤️❤️❤️ADAM!!!!!!!!!❤️❤️❤️

And watching "Blood", "Shadow", "Burned", and "Ritual."

Van Buren to Burdette: "Hello, my Brotha. DAMN!!!!"

Adam: "Why do you have to give me bad news when I'm trying to digest?"

Me: 😆😆😆😆

"Blood"

• Love 3

Been kinda binge watching a bit and some episodes I thought were interesting and some I hated. I hated the 'House Calls' with the Russian teenager who lied to the doctor and her sister didn't even know what she told her about demorol. 

Sundance appears to have finished season 13 and is on season 14  and We is now on season 12. 

I didn't like Hands Free as I thought Jack was an asshole to go after the guy again. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Been kinda binge watching a bit and some episodes I thought were interesting and some I hated. I hated the 'House Calls' with the Russian teenager who lied to the doctor and her sister didn't even know what she told her about demorol. 

Sundance appears to have finished season 13 and is on season 14  and We is now on season 12. 

I didn't like Hands Free as I thought Jack was an asshole to go after the guy again. 

Hands Free is one of those episodes in which I loved the first half but didn’t care for the second half. The Briscoe/Green investigation part was great, as they almost always were, but the second half got too complicated and I didn’t get how McCoy was allowed to introduce evidence of a murder he supposedly committed in New Mexico to convict him of yet another murder after he was acquitted of the murder that started the episode!! I did like the mention of Adam Schiff though. 

36 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

So, WE goes from season 12 episode 16 then jumps back to season 1, according to the descriptions of the episodes I'm recording. 
Checked Sundance and they keep going up to season 15 and maybe will keep going to 20. 

No. Sundance went up to and completed up to the 20th season last week. And instead of starting with season one, jumped to season 13. And on Sundays is repeating seasons 14 and 15, roughly two weeks ahead of what is airing on Thursdays and Fridays.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2019 at 10:56 PM, Waterston Fan said:

He murdered three people.  It's not like he was a serial jay walker.  And he would have murdered again to keep his secrets if he felt threatened, in my opinion.  So I completely disagree that trying to put a three-time murderer in prison makes Jack an "asshole."

• Love 2

I forgot to ask, I just saw The Collar where a priest was killed but it was not the one who should have been killed. Freddie Ortega who didn't do the actual stabbing was sent to prison. Shouldn't he have still stayed there as he was there when the murder actually happened? 

1 hour ago, KHenry14 said:

Gotta disagree about Schiff. Always seemed like a 1 trick pony 

You could say the same thing about Secretariat...

"Make The Deal!" is seemingly all he ever said

While it's true that his pragmatism was a defining characteristic, and that he was often pushing moralistic Stone, or aggressive McCoy to make the deal and settle for what they could get, I think that to say this is to dismiss that saying it was only thing he said is to oversimplify things greatly. And also to ignore that the way he said it was awesome - I would rather watch Schiff saying "make the deal!" than Lewin saying "have you considered all the implications here?" or Branch saying "I may sound like a old country lawyer, but I'm a sophisticated attorney and politician"!

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

You could say the same thing about Secretariat...

While it's true that his pragmatism was a defining characteristic, and that he was often pushing moralistic Stone, or aggressive McCoy to make the deal and settle for what they could get, I think that to say this is to dismiss that saying it was only thing he said is to oversimplify things greatly. And also to ignore that the way he said it was awesome - I would rather watch Schiff saying "make the deal!" than Lewin saying "have you considered all the implications here?" or Branch saying "I may sound like a old country lawyer, but I'm a sophisticated attorney and politician"!

That is the flip side. I realize who ever came after Adam was going to be hard to live up to. But really giving us Levin who always seemed shocked that they were charging murderers with crimes and her bleeding heart that somehow never bled for the victims or their families wasn't going to work. I prefer Branch over her since he wasn't any of those things. But Adam was just so great! His awesome one liners. Not letting McCoy quit at the end of one episode because there would be no martyrs or the other episode when Jack was packing up and told Adam it was okay if he had what he did to another DA (I forget the name) he would have fired him too and Jack wasn't even upset he knew Adam had every right to fire him and was accept it except Adam didn't. He didn't back down no matter how many politicians or his friends tried to threaten him or the office. Suing the Governor when he over stepped his authority. There were just so many great Adam scenes. An early one at the end when he's ticked off that they let the suspect go even though cops reputations had been destroyed and Ben isn't even phased or when he, Ben and Paul are talking about abortion and he makes that comment about them being three men. The best scene was him alone in the hospital room with his wife and they turned off the machines. It was so well done and heartbreaking. I only wish we had a few more scenes between him and Lennie exchanging one liners.  My favorite part of Jack becoming DA is him saying that line that he now knows why Adam was always so grumpy.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That is the flip side. I realize who ever came after Adam was going to be hard to live up to. But really giving us Levin who always seemed shocked that they were charging murderers with crimes and her bleeding heart that somehow never bled for the victims or their families wasn't going to work. I prefer Branch over her since he wasn't any of those things. 

To me the biggest problem with Lewin was not her "bleeding heart" sympathy for criminals which I think is often overstated, but the fact that she was just so dull. Dianne Wiest is a great actress and when they actually gave her material she really delivered like when she confronted the judge in  "Dissonance" -

"You need to understand that veiled threats disguised as friendly advice sound an awful lot to me like judicial bias. Especially when delivered ex parte.
First off, I don't have to justify my decisions to you. Second, that sound you hear is the ice cracking underneath your feet.
With all due respect, your honor, you weigh more than I do. I request that you recuse yourself from the case of the People versus Reger. Request denied.Then you can explain yourself to the grievance board.You file a complaint against me then your ADAs will never get to first base inside my courtroom. Based strictly on the merits of their cases.If you threaten me again I'll report this conversation and our last conversation to the presiding judge of the appellate division. And if you step over the line in court just once, I'll take you down and you won't get up again."

Unfortunately too often they didn't seem to bother to write for her and just transcribed legal ethics textbooks and law review articles. Personality goes a long way - it's why Borgia falls just as flat for me as Serena despite being played by a better performer and having different politics. Branch had personality and was an actual fully conceptualized character even if he was often on the brink of a straight up Foghorn Leghorn impersonation, so I would rather have him even when he was annoying!

Not letting McCoy quit at the end of one episode because there would be no martyrs or the other episode when Jack was packing up and told Adam it was okay if he had what he did to another DA (I forget the name) he would have fired him too and Jack wasn't even upset he knew Adam had every right to fire him and was accept it except Adam didn't.

The DA's name you are forgetting is Frank Hogan, the long time Manhattan DA for whom the DA's office building One Hogan Place is named. He was one of the two most influential DAs in the history of the office along with Robert Morgenthau who was the real life basis for Adam Schiff. Which doesn't really affect anything you are saying, but I am a history nerd and love that the franchise's writing used to be so good and so subtle that they would throw in something like that that worked on multiple layers.

• Love 4

Schiff was awesome!! There was a lot more to him than saying “make the deal” even though that was his catchphrase, he very frequently gave good legal advice and was great at consulting with the ADA’s about the cases. He had many great scenes where he dealt with those trying to influence how he did his job or who used their personal relationship with him to influence him. He is one of my favorite L&O characters. 

Lewin was very dull most of the time and she was too soft to be a DA, and while I liked Branch more than many fans do, sometimes he came across as a blowhard who spewed his right wing politics too often. McCoy was great as DA just like he was as an ADA.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

McCoy was great as DA just like he was as an ADA.

Agreed. I don't really include him when comparing the various DAs since his role was so different - he was still the star of the legal side when he moved up to DA whereas his predecessors were supporting players and we also had gotten to know him and his backstory for over a decade as opposed to coming in fresh so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

• Love 5

Watching season 2 today, so many of these early episodes were really good. I saw Vengeance, about the guy strangling young women and the parents of one of his victims tried to get him extradited to Connecticut where he would face the death penalty, good episode. Stone had some great moments in this one, I liked how he said he represented the people of the state of New York when asked about if he was representing the killer’s interests. A very good episode, Judge Quinn pisses me off though when he threw out the evidence found in the storage locker, he was one of the most biased judges in L&O history. It was interesting to see Cragen go into the interrogation room, he didn’t often do that. 

Next up was Sisters of Mercy, where Stone charged the guy who ran the shelter with rape after he told one of the teens he would kick her out if she didn’t have sex with him. Another good episode for Stone, he was awesome. The early seasons don’t get shown as often and don’t get as much attention, but they have a lot of very good episodes and the characters are good as well.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Judge Quinn pisses me off though when he threw out the evidence found in the storage locker, he was one of the most biased judges in L&O history.

Was he, though? I guess I'm biased because I will ALWAYS love him for what he said in "The Pursuit of Happiness."

Judge Quinn (trial judge) to smarmy defense attorney Tom what'shisface, played by the smarmy Bruce Altman:

"Off the record please. (to stenographer) I can't prove this Tom, but I think you're lying."

Tom: "Your Honor, really--"

Judge Quinn: "Don't play dumb with me, you didn't want Ben to know where you were going.  I'll let you have your witness. One of these days you'll get caught; You're gonna get disbarred, and I'll be there to applaud."

Me: Oh SNAP!

The next scene, between Tom what'shisface and Stone:

Stone: "A Chinese guy could blow you away and get off scott-free because of cross-racial identification.  And that's the most comforting thought I've had all day."

Me: 😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

I mean, just the calm, deadpan way Stone said that to Smarmy Tom, just..makes my day.

And let me just say that I am EXTREMELY jealous of you who still have WE. I don't, and having the Firestickie doesn't help because it's via Xfinity, which dropped that channel and I can't be grandfathered in because I'd downsized my service when they "dropped" it. And Escape continues to disappoint,with its pixelating and freeze-frames, with the audio going out, and not airing them at all! GAH. I'll just have to keep checking here to find out when Season 1 will show up again on Sundance.

Oh, and because I'm anal retentive, I recorded the end of a season 14 episode, about the time that Van Buren would have divorced her husband, and she's STILL sporting her wedding rings! So Show wasn't thinking clearly or assuming that I'm stupid that I wouldn't catch that? And before someone jumps in and tells me she could still be wearing it even after the divorce, nope. Not Anita. But I've also recorded a season 15 episode just to confirm.

What? I got nothin' else better to do.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

On season 14 right now and I admit, Serena in the latest few episodes has been annoying me. I can see why Branch fired her the following season. 

Why, was she acting like a lesbian? LOL 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1