Type keyword(s) to search

Thea Queen: Speedy

• Start Topic

I think Thea put it best when she said "you lie to protect me but it's the lies that hurt me." I think she ended up being pretty disillusioned with everyone whom lied to her so she just went with someone who didn't. She was in a highly emotional state and made a bad decision, but Malcom offered her something she desired so she booked it. She felt like the "protection" people offered her was because she was weak.

I'm with Thea all the way. I really enjoyed her since Deathstroke. Wonderful from Willa Holland.

• Love 4
(edited)
I still think they could have written Thea leaving with a known mass murderer and manipulator a little bit better. I mean this guy tried to kill Oliver and killed her father, manipulated her mother, kidnaped Walter killed over 500 people, destroyed half of a city and so on.  I didn't completely buy that she hated/distrusted her brother enough to just leave. I am interested in her storyline though.  

I didn't buy it either. I think there's room for Thea to go with Malcolm with her eyes wide open, use him to get strong and stop being considered like a liability people lie to (instead of as an asset that people trust) and turn against him in order to follow her own way. Possibly spiced with some "In your face, mass murderer!" parting snark.

I hope that down the road, the result of her season conundrum, "Am I Moira or Malcolm's daughter", will be: "I'm Thea Queen, smart badass, Oliver Queen and Tommy Merlyn's sister". Because I loved Moira but morally speaking, I don't see so much difference between Moira and Malcolm. It resides more, for me, in the crazy department, batshit division.

Thea was imo pissed off because Oliver lied to her about the paternity, period, but I still wonder if Slade's lie about how long Oliver has known will play in a possible future reconciliation in the Queen family. And there's someone who knows exactly when Oliver learned about the whole deal. It would be a natural, sensical and organic way to settle some Thea/Felicity interaction.

Edited by stacey
Unnecessary spoiler tag
(edited)

I didn't buy it either. I think there's room for Thea to go with Malcolm with her eyes wide open, use him to get strong and stop being considered like a liability people lie to (instead of as an asset that people trust) and turn against him in order to follow her own way. Possibly spiced with some "In your face, mass murderer!" parting snark.

LOL I would actually love for this to happen. However, I'm thinking they might have Malcolm manipulate her and use her feelings and anger about Oliver/Roy to turn her into a villain initially. 

I wonder when Thea will find out about Oliver's secret. I find it funny how she still doesn't know and according to interviews Malcolm still isn't telling her.  She knows that Roy is helping the Arrow out, I assume.  So hopefully she finds out about Oliver sooner than later. 

Edited by ban1o

I think Thea put it best when she said "you lie to protect me but it's the lies that hurt me." I think she ended up being pretty disillusioned with everyone whom lied to her so she just went with someone who didn't. She was in a highly emotional state and made a bad decision, but Malcom offered her something she desired so she booked it. She felt like the "protection" people offered her was because she was weak.

I think it's consistent with who Thea has been shown to be.  In s1, when she thought her mother was having an affair with Malcolm, she got high and crashed her car. In s2, when Slade kidnapped her and told her that Oliver had known for years that Malcolm was her father (a lie, since he'd only known for a couple of weeks), she shut everyone out and refused to listen to any explanations, including from the lawyer who wanted her to help save some family money.  When she's upset, she's always gone to extremes.  And she is still pretty young.

She's also hated people lying to her more than anything else (e.g. Robert was the adulterer, not Moira).  Moira and Oliver both handled her badly, you'd think Oliver would have learned after s1.  She left Roy when she found out he was lying to her about not helping the Arrow.  It makes sense that adolescent, volatile Thea would go with the one person who didn't lie to her.  She probably thought she was rubbing it all in Oliver's and Roy's faces.

I'm looking forward to seeing her interactions with Malcolm because she's smart, she knows he's BSC and she's as stubborn as he is.

• Love 1

I wasn't completely sold on the Malcolm/Thea thing either (and I'm still not completely gungho about it...), but their interactions during the finale made me hopeful. It's actually his response to her shooting him that got me really interested in what the show could do with them sailing off together. It was absolute laugh-out-loud moment for me. His daughter SHOOTS him and he's BEAMING (like the proud papa/lunatic he is). The whole "You actually shot me!!1! Unlike that wimpy loser half-brother of yours!!1! Join me, rightful heir!!" was a highlight of the finale for me. I'm hoping they keep that dynamic rather than have Thea buy into his lunacy or be brainwashed by him. Thea has consistently been VERY headstrong, principled, and assertive. The show has never backed away from that (despite it turning a lot of people off her character). I mean, she's the only one in the show that really seemed to remember that all the parental figures in her life (save Walter) did absolutely horrific things and had blood on their hands (you don't how happy it made me when she said she's the daughter of two mass murderers. Poor Thea, but I was so excited someone actually remembered!). I'm game for watching Malcolm trying to create the mini-Dark Archer in Thea and failing at every turn. The loony, self-serving megalomaniac and the wary, mulish brat could work beautifully.

Her going off with Malcolm was clunky but no clunkier than other things that happened in the back half of s02. They did a pretty good job of showing that Oliver (through his own stupidity and single-minded focus) was lost to her. Then she finds out Roy is also a lying liar who lies (gasp!). It fits that she would turn to her "only" other available option: someone who's absolutely batshit but who she knows exactly is what he seems. Plus, Malcolm doesn't seem dumb (or sane) enough to lie to her and is very eager to have a protege/successor so they can avoid the typical "Thea the brat" drama the show seemed SO SO SO enamored with. My other big hope is that they don't gloss over Thea learning the whole Oliver/Arrow thing. Laurel learning was a total wash. Don't screw this one up for me, show!!! I need to her to be completely livid in all her majestic "Thea the brat" glory. They can skip over her finding out but I better get my confrontation. I would also like to see her beat up Roy...for reasons that absolutely make complete sense. I'm just happy they didn't make her paternity about Oliver (unlike what the show did with another daughter's long-awaited reunion with her family...) Bring on the training montages!

• Love 6
(edited)

Haha why would she want to beat up Roy? Because he a lying, liar who lies? Shouldn't she want to beat up Oliver too? LOL. I do want to see a big arrow shooting battle between the two. 

I really hope they don't go with the Malcolm manipulating Thea route but I have a really funny feeling that's where they are going with this story line. I would rather her be assertive and only using Malcolm to become stronger and Malcolm failing to turn her into his protege, but I can see them have her become a mini "Dark Archer"  I really want to see a confrontation between Oliver and Thea about the whole the Arrow thing. I hope they don't stretch out Thea not knowing about Oliver for too long. 

Edited by ban1o

Haha why would she want to beat up Roy? Because he a lying, liar who lies? Shouldn't she want to beat up Oliver too? LOL. I do want to see a big arrow shooting battle between the two.

It's mostly for personal reasons (I do actually like Roy even though he's a complete moron and his superhero arc left a lot to be desired). But if the inevitable Dark Archer+sidekick vs. Arrow+sidekick showdown, I want Thea to mop the floor with him.  Cause (1) It would be hilarious and (2) it works within the story. Thea is getting better/superior training from Merlyn (we'll pretend that the whatever Roy got in s02 counts as training)  and she actually has prior experience with archery = Kick his butt, Thea! The show seems fond of vengeful former lovers/exes going after our loyal heroes so I wouldn't be surprised if Thea fights Roy. I just really really want her to win.

Thea has been one of the more consistently written characters in the show (even if you absolutely hate her), so with that + how she reacted to Merlyn's lunacy, I'm pretty optimistic they won't have her eager to or even interested in following Merlyn's footsteps. They made it a point to show that Thea went off with Merlyn for her own personal reasons as a personal choice after a entire season of being kept in the dark and having no agency. I'm happy she go to choose her own path/destiny and I'm assuming she'll be back on the "good guys" side by the end of her arc. I just hope that (1)Thea as mini-Dark Archer doesn't happen and (2)Thea as absolute psycho a la Nyssa/Helena/Roy doesn't happen. What ever skills or mentality she comes back with, I just don't want her to go too far in a way that makes her irredeemable or doesn't fit/ignores her characterization. So as long as she doesn't murder a bunch of federal agents or threaten to kill Oliver/Roy/Roy's mom/whoever, I'm good. Basically, whatever she does under Malcolm's "helpful" tutelage needs to be something she can come back from. How Helena/Nyssa/Roy were handled means there's definitely room for error but the show handled Sara/Oliver's...excesses relatively well (...if you ignore Sara's skipping away to join LOA). So, fingers crossed? Prayer circle for no mini-Dark Archer!Thea.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who's to say Thea would believe Oliver? Or Felicity who at this point is nothing to her?

I didn't assert that Thea would believe any of them. Again, I think that she was pissed off because of the lie in itself; so she could very well consider the length of the lie as a mere detail.

I talked about the possibility of "settling" some Thea/Felicity "interaction", meaning indeed that there is none so far. I actually appreciated very much that Felicity wasn't forced into storylines with Moira or Thea, and even more that she wasn't thrown into their welcoming arms. I would have loved to see some Thea/Felicity interaction earlier, but there was nothing truly justifying it imo.

Now, Felicity's unvolontary entanglement with the paternity storyline could imo provide such a set up; and allow Thea and Felicity to have personal scenes together, just like Diggle being originally a bodyguard allowed it for Thea/Diggle.

I have no idea of the nature of their eventual relationship: It could very well be hostile, like Moira/Felicity. With

the possible Ra's vs Oliver/Malcolm hoopla, Felicity and Thea might interact in a more general context, as members of Team Arrow/Team Archer, respectively, and it could also provide an initial set up

. Either way, I'm certainly looking forward to those two women, who are both headstrong and badass in their own right, and both important for Oliver, finally interacting.

I'm hoping they keep that dynamic rather than have Thea buy into his lunacy or be brainwashed by him. Thea has consistently been VERY headstrong, principled, and assertive. The show has never backed away from that (despite it turning a lot of people off her character)

Exactly, I really like how the writers turned the character of Thea around while keeping her personality -the writers and W.Holland, who imo is the one who gave her a personality to start with. She has grown and matured and yet she isn't unrecognizable. I certainly hope that it stays this way.

Edited by Happy Harpy
I didn't assert that Thea would believe any of them.

Well you said it could lead to a possible reconciliation so I disputed that.

Prayer circle for no mini-Dark Archer!Thea.

That's been a fear I've had for a while. The line can't be crossed if they want her back to Oliver's side. 

Unless they kill her off at the end of the season. 

I don't think they will ever kill Thea off now. She's literally Oliver's only remaining family member (even though his team has become like his family). I do think she will have a period as a mini dark-archer though. Even though I don't want her to be I just feel like that is where the show is going.

Edited by ban1o

I think Thea can become a temporary mini Archer and still evolve into a hero. Oliver's and Sara's journeys both include them killing and changing, finding better ways. I like how everything isn't so black and white on this show and that the writers realize that good people can do bad things. I don't want her to become a mini archer though because I've kept her goodbye scene with Oliver in mind where he told her she was the best of their family and had the purest heart and that he can't ever have her lose that and asked her to promise she wouldn't. I can see her deciding to honor her mother's death and choosing the path towards becoming a hero, however there will be a lot of hurdles along the way. 

I just remembered that JB said in an interview that Malcolm considers himself a hero, so I guess the question is will Thea be a bsc "hero" or a TA hero.

Edited by willpwr
  • Love 2

If Malcolm's current agenda is something Thea can get onboard with like taking out a group of people who kill for money then it wouldn't necessarily change the dynamic between them or make Thea OOC. She wouldn't be attacking the LOA to save Malcolm but ridding the world of some bad guys.   

Malcolm's a smart guy. He would never attack the LoA outright. There are way too many of them and it's (as far as we know) only him and Thea. If anything, he's going to want to stay off the League's radar and as far away from them as possible.

All of the above? I think primarily it's about family for Malcolm. He doesn't have anybody left in the world, and suddenly he has a daughter. I think he sees Thea as his second chance at being a good father. Of course, Malcolm's idea of good parenting may not get him Father of the Year award. The training I think will come from both Thea and Malcolm wanting to make sure Thea can protect herself. Plus, it's a good way to bond (father-daughter, teacher-student). I don't think Malcolm necessarily wants to hurt Oliver, but I won't put it past him to use Thea if he thinks it's warranted. I do want to see what else Thea learns from Malcolm beyond archery or martial arts. Will she come back all manipulative as well. She's definitely not coming back the slightly naive girl.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

I think Malcolm wants a legacy and sees Thea as his one chance. So he wants to make her strong but also wants to mold her character so she could/would carry on whatever he thinks of as the family directive. Just because he was not completely successful with his undertaking doesn't mean he's done manipulating the city. I think he wants Thea to be his right hand man and help him carry out his eventual plans. Just not sure what those would be.

• Love 2

I think Malcolm wants a legacy and sees Thea as his one chance. So he wants to make her strong but also wants to mold her character so she could/would carry on whatever he thinks of as the family directive. Just because he was not completely successful with his undertaking doesn't mean he's done manipulating the city. I think he wants Thea to be his right hand man and help him carry out his eventual plans. Just not sure what those would be.

I agree. He probably wanted the same for Tommy but Tommy died before he could manipulate Tommy to join his side. Now he trying to do the same for Thea. 

I have a feeling Malcolm isn't the only Merlyn good at manipulation. Oh, I have no doubt he is manipulating Thea for his own ends, but odds are she is doing the same thing. He can help her get stronger, physically and emotionally, and when the time comes she will probably turn on him and shoot him with one of the very arrows he has taught her to use. And the thing I like about Malcolm is, that will make him proud.

• Love 6

I can see that happening too, @KirkB.  I say "Bring it".  My favorite "villains" are those who are morally ambiguous.  It's that constant unpredictability that sparks my interest.  It helps that both Willa and Barrowman are strong enough actors to play these type of roles.  The Thea/Malcolm dynamic (and the inevitable Thea/Oliver confrontation) might actually be what I'm most anticipating for S3.

• Love 4

It would make the implausible loss of the Queen fortune all the more tolerable if taking Malcolm for everything he had and destroying him emotionally was her plan all along. He's the one who started all of this.

I won't get my hopes up, though.

• Love 2

Thea is Moira's daughter. I'd be disappointed if she didn't end up using him to get strong and then manipulating Malcolm better than he's manipulating her.

Agreed - I'd love it if Thea turned out to be a mini-Moira.

• Love 2

Now I'm going to be disappointed if Thea doesn't destroy Malcolm, because I'm picturing a really tense emotional scene ending with Malcolm smiling and proudly commenting that Tommy would never have destroyed him and taken all his money.

I'd also love to see Thea become Moira 2.0. I'm going to really miss their relationship next season.

• Love 6

To me this character was saved by the actress. Willa Holland added depth where there wasn't much initially and pushed the writers to reconsider the role she could be playing in the journey of Oliver from the Hood to the Arrow. Now she even has a journey on her own that can be independent from him and still interesting. They just wrote her pretty badly... There were missed opportunities, overuse of the whole "betrayed by those I trust" thing. The saddest part is that each time she was outraged was technically more valid then the previous time but the reaction was so familiar/repetitive that even when it's justified, it's easy to think "Oh, here she goes again...Baby Queen is mad at her family". I also agree that the tombstone confessions and urgings to open up to her were so badly handled. Obviously that was when the relationship between Oliver and Laurel was super duper important so they would've wanted to show him being "himself" with her first. The thing is that 1) it would have looked better for Oliver to let his family in, 2) her anger at him keeping his distance and outburst would've been better accepted if it produced the desired effect and 3) it would have raised the stakes emotionally about him keeping a secret. Strangely enough even when people pointed he was being a hypocrite WRT Moira lying to them I didn't see the big deal because it's almost like who they (Thea more so than Moira) see is not even real so it's more about keeping the illusion alive. It's a lot more heartwrenching when you know a character is hiding something from someone they trust implicitly and they're open with all the time.

I honestly think that in the show she very rarely gets away with things with no consequences and her having so many negative identity forming experiences is interesting to me. She probably raised herself up because it seems Moira went catatonic after the boat sank. That is always an interesting human developmental aspect to me because the effect is very often either the person is overly mature and controlled or they go in the other direction and just project all responsability on to others. Whichever direction the person goes through though, what seems to be a constant is the lack of trust in other people to take care of them and once their trust is broken it is super hard to get it back.

Edited by fantique
  • Love 4

@fantique that was beautifully and accurately written! the last part is painfully true! and i can attest to it from personal experience; having lost my father at a slightly younger age than Thea, and going through a similar somewhat absent mother too -although obviously for me coming from a middle class family it was for work cause food needed to be kept on the table. point is, yes you really do go either of both ways you mentioned, and it is very hard trying to learn to balance the fun with the responsible parts of yourself.

Which is why i could never dislike her. her behavior as a reaction to what she went through in those five years and the constant lying and betrayal in the previous two years since Oliver came back, felt spot on. especially after i had the chance to see a deleted scene (it was laurel and oliver but it had Moira and the voice of a young Thea) where you can very much see Thea was a strong headed, independent, girl who always managed to get her way (possibly since she was also the baby of the family).

• Love 1
(it was laurel and oliver but it had Moira and the voice of a young Thea)

Is that on youtube?

Well said Fantique..Willa did add more depth

But I think she was always meant to have an increased role..casting Roy delayed that a bit I think. 

@foreverevolving, I'm glad you appreciated my observations.

@Wingster55, I guess I did slag off the writing a bit. There are parts that were well written but I felt like their "quality" was due to it being dependent on the emotional scope of Oliver. Like wrt not seeing that Oliver needs space and has to be delt with differently from before, what strikes me is that if he had played the part of "the changed man" after that experience she might have given him more space. Instead he tried to pretend that he was "Good old Ollie" so obviously there is a disconnect that would confuse and anger her. She has him back but not really. He doesn't trust her enough to let his walls down and thinks her stupid enough not to see through the facade. His whole "be Ollie" plan is based on the idea that Ollie is who his loved ones want him to be so they will see that if he plays the part well enough. He underestimates them by thinking that they wouldn't accept his changes.

They did write her as a real person though so that's a good thing and she was a lot less cardboard print out of the heiress already by the end of Season 1.

She rang true because I know someone who was almost exactly in her situation and her behavious was very close to Thea's. We were in a boarding school which always exacerbates everyone's bad qualities because you are never alone so there is little time for self-introspection and everyone is on top of ecah other. There were 2 girls with absent parents and they were at opposite ends of the spectrum. Girl 1 was very organised and took on more responsability than she needed to whereas Girl 2 was completely a brat, at least on the surface. They did both had issues with letting people in. Girl 1 had a super tight circle of friends with little to no interaction with people outside said group and Girl 2 had a lot of mock friends but nothing deep and it was like they didn't really know each other , plus they wasted no time in being mean to her whenever they felt like it while still hanging out with her (seriously I will never get this kind of dynamic). The funny thing is when I got closer to Girl 2, gave her the opportunity to be more than just a brat, she turned out to be really fun, nice and helpful. She was actually a bit of fresh air compared to some of the pompous arses around us. When I made it clear that I thought that her behaviour was not acceptable (to her face) and told her that she can relax and joke without being mean or saying biting and hurtful things, she completely changed. My impression is that before Oliver urged their mother to be more active in restraining Thea from bad behaviour probably no one ever told her when she was being "a bit not good". You can't correct something if no one tells you that it's wrong. SInce people let it slide she probably inferred that anything she says doesn't matter anyway, she's not even important enough to actually hurt them. She must have thought that Moira emerging from her depression was impossible but then Walter made it happen so her deduction was "I wasn't enough so I don't really matter". The one thing I know was different in these cases though was that Girl 1 knew that her parents were not able to be there. So while there was geographic separation, emotionally she still more secure than Girl 2 who had parents who were there physically but completely emotionally cut off. It would be hard for a child not to see this intentional abandonment. I feel that was the most deciding factor with Thea.

ETA: Sorry this is long, I am a psych major and taking philosophy classes so I have my on swtich flipped right now.

Edited by fantique
  • Love 3

@wingster55 yep! it's literally the first five seconds of the clip and than the focus is turned onto Oliver and Laurel.

although watching it again, i now realize it wasn't as prominent as i remembered it was.

I do wish we would have gotten scenes of a young Thea and Oliver! maybe in this season...

Malcolm's a smart guy. He would never attack the LoA outright. There are way too many of them and it's (as far as we know) only him and Thea. If anything, he's going to want to stay off the League's radar and as far away from them as possible.

Actually..now that I think of it..what is Malcolm's goal in training Thea? Gaining family? Going after Oliver and using Thea as a leverage of sorts?

I'd be disappointed if Thea ended up manipulated by him.

With the above spec'd last summer, are we still thinking any of the above? The exception, of course, is the (current, seeming) manipulation of Thea. 

I wonder if she'll sell him out to Ra's.

Thea is Moira's daughter. I'd be disappointed if she didn't end up using him to get strong and then manipulating Malcolm better than he's manipulating her.

Are these two options still in play? The quote by AK said they think about how to hurt their characters for the season.+ Thea killing Sara would be a doozy to deal with, but it might lead to very nice Roy/Thea scenes. Not romantic, but very good friend scenes, as Roy has experienced killing under the influence. Colton and Willa are great scene partners and could build a wonderful friendship between Thea and Roy, even more than it currently is.

Are their any other options, w/r/t Thea around Merlyn/involved with Sara's death? Would the show actually go with Thea consciously killing Sara? I am serious, as we are supposed to believe anyone can have anything happen to themselves, except Oliver. It would feed ManPain for Ollie, Roy would be devastated, as would Dig and Felicity and the Lances would be screaming for blood, rightfully.

I do NOT want that Darkest Timeline , yet TPTB have been taking the show very dark and bleak. I keep waiting for a peek of sun through the clouds, but I am still waiting, really.  I want Thea to stop having massively emotional traumas. 

Seven years ago:

*Lost father and brother

*Mother withdrew from her

*Turned to drugs and petty crime

Between seven and two and a half years:

*Mother remarries; man is wonderful to her

Two and a half years (or so)ago:

*"Dead" brother was found and returned

*He kept her at arms' length

*She almost went to jail for driving while drugged after crashing her car

*Found out her mother was part of trying to destroy part of their city

Last "year":

*Her stepfather was kidnapped and presumed dead

*Her mother did nothing and withdrew from her again

*Beloved stepfather divorces her mother and leaves the country

*Thought her mother was cheating on her beloved stepfather

*Her mother went to jail for her part in destroying part of the city

*Had to face the idea that her mother would have to die for her crimes

*Found out her actual parentage

*Saw her boyfriend cheating on her and killing cops

*Almost got killed by boyfriend

*Almost got killed by Mirakuru soldiers

*Shot her biological father

*Saw one of her brother's enemies run her mother through with a sword

*Was kidnapped by that enemy shortly before the Moira killing

*Found out that most of the people she loved had told big ol' whoppers for years, if not months

I just want some peace and calm for her. It doesn't have to be a forever thing, but the woman has had...her share of trauma since she was 12 or 14(?).  Let her get some proper rest and relaxation for once!

+from the Media thread, just the relevant part of the quote: "But there[Arrow], we always think to ourselves, “How can we hurt these people more?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Thea?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Laurel?  What’s the worst thing we can do to Oliver?”  And the drama comes from there." ( link to the interview, care of calliope1975; http://collider.com/the-flash-andrew-kreisberg-interview/, for those curious.)

I definitely don't want her to have knowingly killed Sara, because that's the end of that character for me, if that were true. And that means I lose two female characters in one season, and I'm only left with one. But it would be nice to think that aside from the time she spends under the influence of Magic Drugs, she is playing a long game, and I...wish I believed that. That there was some great plan for Thea that would allow for her to have been playing Malcolm all this time. But I think the writers are way more interested in telling Malcolm's story than Thea's. So, unfortunately, I don't think they give a shit about letting her have agency. If they do, that will happen at the very end, and they'll think that makes up for another season of misusing her.

• Love 3

They just don't give a shit about her imo. I was most looking forward to her story this season.

Very disappointed.

I agree. I was very excited for Thea's storyline but they've forgotten the wonderful potential her going off with Malcolm had. I'm bitterly disappointed because after the season 2 finale, this was the storyline I looked forward to.

• Love 2

They just don't give a shit about her imo. I was most looking forward to her story this season.

Very disappointed. 

Agree 100% . Hers was one of the storylines I was most looking forward to but I am very, very dissappointed with it. She seems more like a plot device. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Another thing for me is that Malcolm would be more interesting if they gave Thea agency and the chance to manipulate him back.  Malcolm manipulating everyone now that Moira is gone is just so booooring.

Serious question: Does Thea own any shirts that cover her belly?

As one reviewer said (I can't remember who), maybe she never learned to do her laundry either and now she's shrunk all her clothes.

• Love 4