Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Dougal

Last Man Standing

8 hours ago, ketose said:

That 70's show took place between Fall 1976 and December 1979. Fez was an exchange student for probably 2 years, then he was going to be deported, but he married Laurie Foreman. As for LMS, this was totally a Cousin Oliver deal. The irony is that Boyd is almost aged up to her level and we never see him.

No kidding and then you add in that Ryan and Kristen are going to have kid #2, based on Amanda Fuller's real life pregnancy. Though good for her after all the problems she had to deal with. But they basically tried to make Vanessa's version of Eve and now the show seems to want to put Mike into Car trading and Kyle to seminary now with NuMandy jealous Kristen is having a baby and her and Kyle now apparently having problems. The show wants to be another show with the same characters now. 

Okay (small voice), I enjoyed the first episode-it made me laugh and I was happy to have the show back.  The foreign exchange student continues to be a misfire and I would enjoy the show more without her.  I don't like it when shows in general feel they have to replace the characters who have aged up-just feature their new lives and issues.  

The second episode wasn't as funny to me.  I prefer Mike's interactions with his family as I enjoy the push-backs done with love.

Overall, I enjoy the show and am glad it's back.

• Like 5

The latest two episodes were an improvement over the season premiere.  There was minimal Cousin Oliver, and I muted the few scenes she was in, anyway.   I might have even chuckled a couple of times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

The latest two episodes were an improvement over the season premiere.  There was minimal Cousin Oliver, and I muted the few scenes she was in, anyway.   I might have even chuckled a couple of times.

Here is the problem, you get people and critics who pretty much say who the weakest link of a show like this is. I get they have contracts they have to honor, but I'm sorry. Then cut the characters that JUST AREN'T WORKING! The show has plenty to focus on and maybe if they stop keeping Jay Leno around or just play up the "new" business they want him to be in, then focus on that. It's not like Jay Leno doesn't have an audience while with Cousin Oliver, they tried to make her Vanessa's Eve and it doesn't work and they've had a year to show that. Not like they can't get Eve (Molly) back from time to time, so just move on with it. 

I agree that they need to cut out the exchange student.  Her demeanor doesn't fit with the rest of the cast/characters and there's really no rhyme or reason for her being included in the stories.  Jay Leno doesn't add anything for me, but he fits in better than the exchange student IMO.  

I thought they were just double blocking the premiere, but it seems like that's the plan for the rest of the season.  I enjoy this show a lot more than many other sitcoms so will be sad if they cancel it at the end of the season.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought they were just double blocking the premiere, but it seems like that's the plan for the rest of the season.

This week is the last week that there's two shows back-to-back; next week a new show called OutMatched is coming on at 8:30.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, seacliffsal said:

I agree that they need to cut out the exchange student.  Her demeanor doesn't fit with the rest of the cast/characters and there's really no rhyme or reason for her being included in the stories. .  

The main problem was the show runners said that she was to "replace" Eve, but be Vanessa's version of Eve. It not only doesn't work, you can't make the SAME character and then say, well, they AREN'T the same. I remember at one point where they had Kristin and NuMandy jealous of her. Why? They basically ignored their mother, in fact half the time it seemed all 3 girls wanted to piss off Vanessa for no apparent reason and think less of her. So, now they are jealous because someone actually sees and respects her? You can't have it both ways.

12 hours ago, readster said:

The main problem was the show runners said that she was to "replace" Eve, but be Vanessa's version of Eve. It not only doesn't work, you can't make the SAME character and then say, well, they AREN'T the same. I remember at one point where they had Kristin and NuMandy jealous of her. Why? They basically ignored their mother, in fact half the time it seemed all 3 girls wanted to piss off Vanessa for no apparent reason and think less of her. So, now they are jealous because someone actually sees and respects her? You can't have it both ways.

It's like they were trying to reverse the trend over the years of Tim Allen / Mike Baxter being central in every aspect of the show. At a certain point, you can't really freshen up a sitcom. Season 8 is usually that point, like for Wings and Who's the Boss?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ketose said:

It's like they were trying to reverse the trend over the years of Tim Allen / Mike Baxter being central in every aspect of the show. At a certain point, you can't really freshen up a sitcom. Season 8 is usually that point, like for Wings and Who's the Boss?

I agree, why I also get tired of reality shows that stay on way past their due date. At one point, you have seen the stories and all the "added drama". Here with LMS standing, the stories were pretty much finished and even with Amanda Fuller's real life pregnancy, they don't even focus on the one person this would really effect, which is Boyd. Oh no, even after casting kid actor #3, who can actually act. They don't even deal with their reaction to everything, similar to how they just flicked Ben off after Rachel and Ross had Emma on Friends. 

Instead they focus on a character no one enjoys or wants on the show, and nothing against the actress, and I get it's a paycheck, but I hope she takes the deal for the upcoming Shange Chi: And the Ten Rings movie and makes a run for it.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, Aryanna said:

Watching reruns of HI I always feel like Jill was mean and antagonistic toward Tim. Especially when her and her friends would gang up on Tim and make fun of him. Mike and Vanessa seem to have more of a teamwork relationship and act like they really like each other. Mike doesn't always have to be the heavy or the bad guy because Vanessa will take that on if she feels strongly about something. They seem like a more realistic couple.

My son loves LMS. I think it's more Tim Allen. I've always liked him, despite his current political leaning. I never felt that LMS was ham handed. There was always a liberal argument (usually Vanessa, Kristin and of course, Ryan) to balance out Mike and Eve's more conservative ones. 

Back to the subject at hand. I totally agree that Jill Taylor was border line MEAN to her husband. Yeah, Tim Taylor was portrayed as a constant screw up, more so than Mike Baxter is. But both Jill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

Mike and Vanessa have more of an equal, enjoyable partnership. Vanessa will screw up one week, and Mike the next. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

ill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

On the occasions that I watch an old Raymond, I'm amazed at the disdain I have for the show...all of it.  Debra was awful!  Amazing how culture shifts and personal growth can change your view of something you thought you liked.  Same with King Of Queens. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

My son loves LMS. I think it's more Tim Allen. I've always liked him, despite his current political leaning. I never felt that LMS was ham handed. There was always a liberal argument (usually Vanessa, Kristin and of course, Ryan) to balance out Mike and Eve's more conservative ones. 

Back to the subject at hand. I totally agree that Jill Taylor was border line MEAN to her husband. Yeah, Tim Taylor was portrayed as a constant screw up, more so than Mike Baxter is. But both Jill Taylor and Debra Barone both annoyed me because of their harping meanness, Debra more than Jill, I think. 

Mike and Vanessa have more of an equal, enjoyable partnership. Vanessa will screw up one week, and Mike the next. 

The only problem is, they have really put Vanessa to the point she is brain dead at times. They like to throw her PhD in her face and yes, I have a doctorate too, but at times I wanted to go: "how are we to take this seriously she was ever ANY type of doctor?" But shows do that, great examples of Jill and Debra, characters that made sense EARLY on, but then turn into bitter, I'm always right and you are wrong and into their parents/inlaws they talked in the series of NEVER becoming and do. Of course after meeting Vanessa's mother and sister you just want to go: "What family did you come from? Are you adopted?" 

• Like 1

I generally enjoyed this most recent episode.  Laughed at Kyle's godfather impression.  However, when the exchange student walked in and was worried and asked if they were going to send her back to Hong Kong, I kept hoping that Mike was going to say "yes."  Sigh.  Not to be.  

I think they should buy out her contract and release her as the story line pretty much stops when she has a line or enters the scene.  

21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I generally enjoyed this most recent episode.  Laughed at Kyle's godfather impression.  However, when the exchange student walked in and was worried and asked if they were going to send her back to Hong Kong, I kept hoping that Mike was going to say "yes."  Sigh.  Not to be.  

I think they should buy out her contract and release her as the story line pretty much stops when she has a line or enters the scene.  

Legally and academically, she is SUPPOSE to be going back to Hong Kong. If the writers and producers were "smart" they would just say: "The exchange is that you graduate THIS YEAR and then you head home." To wrap it up in a logical way since they are so hell bent on keeping a character, the audience and critics really don't like. In fact, even the writers show they DON'T know what to do with her character. Trying to make her Vanessa's Eve is not only stupid, it's insulting.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

On the occasions that I watch an old Raymond, I'm amazed at the disdain I have for the show...all of it.  Debra was awful!  Amazing how culture shifts and personal growth can change your view of something you thought you liked.  Same with King Of Queens. 

I actually though Ray was awful. He was a mama's boy, he'd avoid any kind of conflict, usually making things more difficult for Debra. He seemed unreasonably stupid for a guy who was supposed to be an award winning writer. On King of Queens, Doug and Carrie seemed like equally awful people.

Most of the LMS characters don't have horrible personality traits, but they're always just a little less wise and quick-witted than Mike Baxter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ketose said:

I actually though Ray was awful. He was a mama's boy, he'd avoid any kind of conflict, usually making things more difficult for Debra. He seemed unreasonably stupid for a guy who was supposed to be an award winning writer. On King of Queens, Doug and Carrie seemed like equally awful people.

Most of the LMS characters don't have horrible personality traits, but they're always just a little less wise and quick-witted than Mike Baxter.

You're correct; Ray was awful, just in other ways.  His awfulness wasn't mean-spirited typically, he was just a complete dolt, or "idiot" as Debra liked to say.  

If you think about it, many/most sitcoms contrast a 'smarter/wiser' character against less-so everyone else.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

On 1/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Had to delete this from my dvr because of his political standing, which knocked him down a pet or 500 in my eyes,  but I will occasionally watch. Really not a good show. Jay Leno is horrible, the exchange student is horrible. Well, most of the actors can't act (the blonde bimbo-boy son in law is borderline , well low IQ to put it nicely.)but I find I have to check in on occasion. I love their kitchen set up. Definitely a show about moneyed people and that just makes me feel bad about myself! 

The women harpie wives was a big thing a few years ago. My husband stopped watching sitcoms with because he said the husbands were all pu**y whipped. And it was true.  Deb Baron, Jill Taylor, Carrie Heffernon, and so forth. 

• Like 2

So, the exchange student gets to be a bridesmaid for the grandmother of the Baxter daughters?  Stop trying so hard to make fetch happen.

I wondered where Vanessa's sister was or why there wasn't a mention of her.  If the budget doesn't allow the actress to return,just a quick off-hand comment would work.  But at least acknowledge her.

Just a so-so episode for me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

So, the exchange student gets to be a bridesmaid for the grandmother of the Baxter daughters?  Stop trying so hard to make fetch happen.

I wondered where Vanessa's sister was or why there wasn't a mention of her.  If the budget doesn't allow the actress to return,just a quick off-hand comment would work.  But at least acknowledge her.

Just a so-so episode for me.

I know because seriously, even though they are stretching credibility how the exchange student is still there a year later. The grandmother DOESN'T know her! Even more, she has three other grand daughters and yes, Eve is in the air force and the same just an off handed remark on the sister can't make it. The only people who care about the exchange student are the writers and producers. The chemistry is also off with the actors, even Nancy Travis has this: "well, we have to work together" vibe now going.

• Like 2

Great, now Cousin Oliver will be going to college and staying forever instead of returning home.  Who's paying for this college education, the Baxters?    I can't stand the kid.   She's mouthy and annoying and I mute or ff when she's on.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Great, now Cousin Oliver will be going to college and staying forever instead of returning home.  Who's paying for this college education, the Baxters?    I can't stand the kid.   She's mouthy and annoying and I mute or ff when she's on.

I can't decide which I like least; the character or the actor

7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

It's pretty obvious she is the Second Coming of Eve. They are giving her all Eve's lines.

16 hours ago, eel21788 said:

It's pretty obvious she is the Second Coming of Eve. They are giving her all Eve's lines.

That's the problem, they are trying to turn her into Eve. Eve more, they want her to be "Vanessa's Eve". The problem was, up until they had Eve leave for the airforce. Eve had gotten very vindictive towards Vanessa. Now, they think having Jen do the same and do it towards Mike, works? I'm sorry, but from what we have seen of Mike Baxter since season 2. He would have sent her packing for the attitude she is giving him. Plus, the things she says and does. So, the writers are like: "You hate her, but we don't and now we have the perfect way to keep her around." Ratings are dropping due to the time slot and the fact, NO ONE LIKES the character but the producers/writers of the show.

• Like 1

It might help if people go to the source and tell the network or the show runners to dump Cousin Oliver.   They are under the illusion that everything is great.    I got on their Twitter page and said something.

LMS Twitter page

• Useful 1

1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

It might help if people go to the source and tell the network or the show runners to dump Cousin Oliver.   They are under the illusion that everything is great.    I got on their Twitter page and said something.

LMS Twitter page

Yeah, and hormonal pregnant woman. Such an original plot too? *eye roll*