Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man Standing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Recasting Mandy is seriously not a good mood. Nothing against who ever gets the part, but this is like when they replaced Kristin. They cast an actress who was nowhere near the level of the original Kris and had ZERO chemistry with the rest of the cast. Plus, Mandy and Kyle are apparently in their house now, so are we suppose to think that everyone who was begging for LMS returning is going to react well to "new" Mandy. Not a good sign. As for Boyd, maybe they can get a kid who can act. 

• Love 4

Originally, I really liked the educated Vanessa, but as the series progressed, her character seemingly became a dimwit alcoholic.  

I'm one who could be completely happy without Kristen, Ryan, and Boyd this season.  I loved season 1 Kristen, but I haven't cared at all for what they did to that character.  And I'm with @Gam2 about Kristen's distracting hairstyles.  

I thought the last season just wasn't as funny as the previous ones, although I enjoyed a few episodes like Halloween.  Hope they improve the writing and make Vanessa stronger.  I don't mind Friday nights and will look forward to the new season.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, WildFlower87 said:

BREAKING: Last Man Standing Recasting Molly Ephraim (Mandy) and Flynn Morrison (Boyd)
https://www.thewrap.com/last-man-standing-fox-recast-molly-ephraim-flynn-morrison-roles/

Wow. I assume it was probably Molly Ephraim's decision to not return, but wow. 

For Boyd, I think it'd be hilarious if they aged him back down again to his first season age. It wouldn't make any sense, but does anything about the show make sense at this point?

• Love 1

Mandy was my favorite along with Chuck so if they're replacing her, I'm out. The only thing that would possibly bring me back in would be if they decided to have Eve and Brandon dating. I always thought they were gonna go there after "Vanessa Fixes Up Eve" and their conversation at the driving range. That kid she was dating at the end that was the recovering alcoholic was just terrible. Bland and so so boring. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

Mandy was my favorite along with Chuck so if they're replacing her, I'm out. The only thing that would possibly bring me back in would be if they decided to have Eve and Brandon dating. I always thought they were gonna go there after "Vanessa Fixes Up Eve" and their conversation at the driving range. That kid she was dating at the end that was the recovering alcoholic was just terrible. Bland and so so boring. 

No kidding, plus during her "I didn't get into Westport so my life is over" having Eve sleep with the said guy and even apparently didn't have a problem doing that made even less sense. Even the way both Kristin and Ryan reacted to it. I wanted to go: "She is 19 and out of school, it's her life." As I said above, I know I will wait to see how "new" Mandy is. However, if they have it where she has zero personality and so stupid she can't tie her shoes. I'm really out, as for Boyd, who cares, the last kid was horrible and couldn't carry any stories, but was the writers gave Boyd so many stupid stories from anti-vaccine to Eve bullying him I wanted them to just ship him off never to return and take Ryan with him. 

• Love 1

Seeing that Mandy and Boyd have been recast with different actors. I really hope they don't try to force her front and center in an effort to "like her". When they were so built on giving us "new" Kristin and Ryan, the show was lucky it made it through season 2. So many critics and fans hated the recasting ever since. That is something else about Vanessa was her constant defending of Ryan because: "He's our grandson's father!" We were hit over the head that Vanessa had to defend Ryan at every turn, even to the point she hires him to be part of her new tutoring program. Which, yes Ryan had a teaching degree that the show constantly glazed over in history. However, the constant work that Ryan had to be in his "new age outlook" got so old. Ryan seriously, needs to get over himself. 

Well I'm out.  Mandy was the only bright spot during the whole transition to a modern day All in the Family... when Vanessa became a ditz, Eve became a militant witch, Kyle became even stupider, and Kristen became some personality less dolt... Mandy was still cute, charming, and positive.. and it was all due to the actress.  

The only silver spot will be that the show will now have to be forced to make an effort to write a decent script because one of your more charming stars will no longer be on the program, the weaknesses will be glaring.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Well I'm out.  Mandy was the only bright spot during the whole transition to a modern day All in the Family... when Vanessa became a ditz, Eve became a militant witch, Kyle became even stupider, and Kristen became some personality less dolt... Mandy was still cute, charming, and positive.. and it was all due to the actress.  

The only silver spot will be that the show will now have to be forced to make an effort to write a decent script because one of your more charming stars will no longer be on the program, the weaknesses will be glaring.

That's very true. After all the money that Fox threw out to bring the show back, rebuild the sets and get some of the 1st season writers and production crew back. They have to realize that those who were still fans of the show. Don't want to see it turn into something worst and then go: "Should have left it dead." 

• Love 2

It was funny, but this last season on ABC was how much the characters were really doing weird things. In the premiere how Ed didn't want to a brunch for the restaurant in his exact words: "I hate fat people." Even when both Mike and Kirstin point out that's more money for the company. He still continues saying he just doesn't see a reason since he hates fat people and being needy. That just rang completely false for Ed. I mean, this is a guy who wanted Mike to act all close and chummy with his old girlfriend from almost 30 years ago. Putting him in uncomfortable situations in the name of getting more money and promotion for Outdoor Man. So, to then have Ed say he rather lose money than have "fat people" in the store on Saturdays just didn't make sense. Same in that exact episode with trying to keep the knowledge of the bear from Ed because: "he'll really close down the brunch if it is found out." Considering that Chuck said he had the new security cameras also piped into Ed's office to Mike and then at the end when Ed goes: "He still thinks I don't know about the bear." Same goes for when Mike wanted Kyle and Mandy out of the house because he thought they needed to grow up and get on with their lives. Which meant renting when Mike barely 2 seasons ago when he talked Kristin and Ryan in buying the house because they would be saving close to $800 a year instead of $150 over the course of 2 years if they stayed in the apartment. It made no sense and then to magically want to help Kyle get a house built since Kyle's out of the picture mother left him tons of land. Why didn't he offer to help Kyle and Mandy find a house and even talked about helping them with the money since they were saving for their own house. Like the writers needed the plot to work for some weird reason and then took it all back by the end. That was some pretty bad writing in Season 6. 

On 1/19/2017 at 3:34 PM, Cassiexrose12 said:

I just don't understand why Kristin made it seem like the break up between her and Kyle was not mutual! This bothers me so much because she makes Kyle seem pathetic, even though, in the episode in which they broke up, Kyle is the first one to even say anything about breaking up! I cannot stand this new Kristin and the way they are portraying her break up with Kyle. 

You wonder if any of this will carry over again, especially since Mandy has been recast and since most of the season 1 writers are writing the new season. Of course with more recasting, you do wonder if they will go back to saying it was mutual again.

On 8/18/2016 at 7:56 PM, Firon said:

I thought that Ryan went to high school with Kristin. She got pregnant when they went to prom. How is it it that Ryan's Dad acted like he'd never been to Colorado when he lived there before. The writers act like Ryan has always lived on Canada. I wish the story lines would be more consistent. And why did they make Kyle grow more stupid the longer the show goes on?

You do wonder if that is going to stay in continuity again. While his father has been dead now for a while, having the original writers coming back makes you wonder what they will keep and what they won't. Most of the season 1 writers left when they made all the big changes starting with Boyd aged up, Ryan from Canada, Vanessa and Kristin idiots. Now with reacting of Mandy and Boyd. Will they then say what really lead to Ryan and Kristin being in high school and Boyd happening. Or will they just go: "We didn't write that, so we will pretend this never came up." 

On 1/20/2015 at 11:51 PM, webruce said:

It was nice how at first Vanessa and Carol Larabee worked together and were friends. But Vanessa didn't want Mike and Chuck to work together. She thought it would be awkward for the guys, but the girls friendship melted first.

Yeah, and that when the season began, Chuck was ready to divorce Carol because he was retired from the army and bored with home life, hence he started the security company. Yet, when season 6 came to a close, Carol left Chuck and their son for California. Granted the actress was cast on another show. However, I noticed from season 3-6, the show not only didn't pay attention to their own continuity, but they really had all these crazy stories and just wanted to see what stick no matter how out of character it was. Plus, Vanessa trying to "not be racist" with Carol made no sense since day 1. Then all the talk about trying to get Chuck and Mike to like each other, they are the ones who ended in the long run and made Carol look worst for all of a sudden going: "I'm going to California and I'm leave you and our son in your care and good luck in college son." Off screen. 

• Love 1

Last Man Standing EP Laments That 'Unfortunate' Cast Departure

Not only is there going to be a new Mandy and Boyd, there's also going to be a new character:

Meanwhile, a brand new character is being added to the Baxters’ orbit. Vanessa and Mike take in a foreign exchange student from China. “We have, basically, a student from a different political system, who comes into [their lives],” Abbott explained, “And we get to have some wonderful discussions and conflicts.”

7 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Last Man Standing EP Laments That 'Unfortunate' Cast Departure

Not only is there going to be a new Mandy and Boyd, there's also going to be a new character:

Good to know that politics is going to play such a major role on the show again *eye roll*. Aging up Boyd AGAIN? How old are Ryan and Kristin going to be now? He was 8 when the series ended on ABC and while it will be a year and a half since the show has been gone by the fall. He's going to be 12 now? Because you know teenage angst, Fox lives by it. 

Are they going to dye her hair, because where is Mandy's blonde hair going to come from. Also, they will have to change Mandy's personality, because McCook is more mean spirited with joke delivery. As for Jet, well, hmm... this is like the original recasting of Kristin, Ryan and Boyd II all over again. I was also doing some checks online, so both James Marsdon and Amanda Fuller are 33 almost 34. So, they would have had Boyd in their early 20s and not high school if they are making him 12 now, which is how old Jet is in real life. I get playing younger, but if they want to continue that Boyd was born right as Kristin was done with high school. They have to say Kristin is 29-30. 

• Love 1

How much politics will be talked on Last Man Standing Revival

What did Amanda Fuller do to her hair now? I'm going to laugh at McCook as the new Mandy compare to Fuller. Since she is 5'5 and McCook is 5'10 and the Kaitlyn who plays Eve is only 5'4. Also interesting now that Tim Allen does see it being more financial on why ABC cancelled the show since it cost more to get on Fox to revive the series. Which is why CMN passed on the show revival originally. 

Edited by readster
fixed some errors
  • Love 1

I can see if your not used to having racial diversity in your neighborhood it might be intimidating and you could worry about saying the wrong things. But Vanessa seemed to push it a bit far and still said things she later kind of regretted. Then Mike played off that. But yes I agree continuity was off. Yes the Carol line about her leaving left much to be desired. I am thinking about binge watching to refresh my memories off all the episodes. And now look at them from a more informed angle.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, webruce said:

I can see if your not used to having racial diversity in your neighborhood it might be intimidating and you could worry about saying the wrong things. But Vanessa seemed to push it a bit far and still said things she later kind of regretted. Then Mike played off that. But yes I agree continuity was off. Yes the Carol line about her leaving left much to be desired. I am thinking about binge watching to refresh my memories off all the episodes. And now look at them from a more informed angle.

How true, Why I have been more active in the Home Improvement forum lately. Having the episodes airing on LAFF and other networks since everything happened with Roseanne. However, when you look back in seeing all the episodes together. You start to see things stick out more and do wonder: "What were they thinking?" From trying to look like it was being culturally aware to "what's hot right now". With the show coming back, they are saying that they will address what happened with the character in the year and half the show was gone. Yet, they are going to not only recast Mandy and Boyd. One due to conflicts of schedule and the other because they "want to do new stories with Boyd". Yet the show is going about it the wrong way. They are saying that a 1 and a half has gone by. Yet, they are saying Boyd is now 12, when he was 8 when the series left ABC. The show was so wanting to push Vanessa as smart, but then dumbed her down to no degree. Now, they are having her bring in a foreign exchange student from a completely political piece because they feel that Ryan and Mike should just be over each other now and focus more on Ryan and Kristin as parents and not pissing off someone. It's again with: "Let's see what sticks because we got bored with the other writing." 

• Love 1

Well I know what you mean. Had binge watched Home Improvement earlier this year, but with the other series I try to write on I didn't want to make time to dig in to that one on here, lol.

Do feel bad they have to recast Mandy, and "age" Boyd. I know for awhile fans on here wanted Boyd pushed to the back ground when at first it was mostly him and Mike. But he almost disappeared. They did recast both Ryan and Kristin's actors when the series was young. So I guess we will get used to it, especially if it lasts more then one more season.

I do think they could stick with the Mike and Ryan disagreements of opinion. They still had it with Mike and Vanessa, and Mike and the girls.  I do wish they wouldn't just drop things because of lost of interest, or not sure how to move on. many series have the same problems.

i hadn't watched the new Rosanne but was going to. To bad she had to be dropped.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, readster said:

How much politics will be talked on Last Man Standing Revival

What did Amanda Fuller do to her hair now? I'm going to laugh at McCook as the new Mandy compare to Fuller. Since she is 5'5 and McCook is 5'10 and the Kaitlyn who plays Eve is only 5'4. Also interesting now that Tim Allen does see it being more financial on why ABC cancelled the show since it cost more to get on Fox to revive the series. Which is why CMN passed on the show revival originally. 

How could he claim to be a victim if he saw the show being canned by ABC as a function of finances and the free-market?   Funny how Patricia Heaton, a very outspoken conservative, hasn't been such a victim.  Maybe all that cocaine in Allen's youth screwed with his brain.

I see it happening it something like this with ABC: "Well, yes LMS and Dr. Ken are doing good in the ratings, but CBS and NBC are beating us out on those ratings." "Comedies on Fridays just don't work like they did 20 years ago. It's getting expensive with these shows and LMS ratings are dropping." "Let's just pull the plug and maybe we will also avoid any possible political issues since Trump is now the president." Tim Allen: "Wait, after over 20 years of calling this network home you are getting rid of my show when we are doing fine? You just don't like my conservative views." 

Flash forward a year later with Fox: "We heard that ABC is bringing back their TGIF since their drama night crashed and burned. Let's bring LMS back, it's going to cost a lot of money, but let's do it." Tim Allen has a meeting and they slide him the cost to bring back the show and what ABC was paying. Tim Allen: "Wow! That is a lot of change, maybe it was over finances, but ABC could have just given us the figures months earlier and not just pulled the plug first." 

On August 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM, readster said:

Are they going to dye her hair, because where is Mandy's blonde hair going to come from. Also, they will have to change Mandy's personality, because McCook is more mean spirited with joke delivery. As for Jet, well, hmm... this is like the original recasting of Kristin, Ryan and Boyd II all over again. I was also doing some checks online, so both James Marsdon and Amanda Fuller are 33 almost 34. So, they would have had Boyd in their early 20s and not high school if they are making him 12 now, which is how old Jet is in real life. I get playing younger, but if they want to continue that Boyd was born right as Kristin was done with high school. They have to say Kristin is 29-30. 

I don't care for this Kristen at all.  She looks her age.  I wonder if all those braided hairstyles were part of an attempt to make her look younger.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Neiman said:

I don't care for this Kristen at all.  She looks her age.  I wonder if all those braided hairstyles were part of an attempt to make her look younger.

I don't know how having that hair shave and long hair over it look in it's last season made Kristin look younger. Made her look older and didn't reflect Ryan's bearded hippy self. The problem now is since Tim Allen is 65 and Nancy Travis is about to turn 57 and now they are having Boyd be 12 that puts them around 53 and 45 when Boyd was born. Like I said, even if they try to say that Kristin and Ryan are 30 and were 18 when Boyd was born. The time lines just don't work anymore and if they want Mandy and Eve (when she appears) bring up how they had Boyd in high school. It has no value anymore, because having Kristin with purple hair and Ryan with his constantly beard make them look like they are in their mid to late 30s now. Bring up a story line that was missed that now they have been married and have good jobs and a house. Why did they never think about more children? Why haven't Kyle and Mandy had a kid by now? They are saying that Kyle and Mandy are now in their home that was built on the land that Kyle's mother left him. Eve is is off in the air force. They are forcing this chineese "cousin Oliver" to get a high school kid back on the show. This is screaming, they are just trying to keep the show on the air instead of a revival. 

Edited by readster
capitalization.

My husband and I enjoyed this show in it’s first run. Our favorites were Mandy, Eve, Kyle, Ed, Chuck and Mike. We liked Vanessa at times but at others, she was just too stupid and needy. Ryan’s liberal crap just made us roll our eyes. Our least favorite character and actress was the one who played Kristin. The original one was cute and a good actress. The one who took her role was just awful to us. Her acting, her hair (the shaved thing, braided thing, swept up over her head thing, etc), her clothing (too tight, too short, the SHOES that she couldn’t even walk in), her over-the-top snarkiness with nothing seeming to be natural or the way you’d actually speak to your family members, etc. If she’s coming back without the ones we liked and appreciated, no thanks. And if she’s the only one they could get to come back who hadn’t been hired for other roles, that’s says a lot, doesn’t it?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Gam2 said:

My husband and I enjoyed this show in it’s first run. Our favorites were Mandy, Eve, Kyle, Ed, Chuck and Mike. We liked Vanessa at times but at others, she was just too stupid and needy. Ryan’s liberal crap just made us roll our eyes. Our least favorite character and actress was the one who played Kristin. The original one was cute and a good actress. The one who took her role was just awful to us. Her acting, her hair (the shaved thing, braided thing, swept up over her head thing, etc), her clothing (too tight, too short, the SHOES that she couldn’t even walk in), her over-the-top snarkiness with nothing seeming to be natural or the way you’d actually speak to your family members, etc. If she’s coming back without the ones we liked and appreciated, no thanks. And if she’s the only one they could get to come back who hadn’t been hired for other roles, that’s says a lot, doesn’t it?

You have to wonder that about Amanda Fuller. Before taking over the role of Kristin in the season 2. She had been on: Grey's, SVU and Blue Bloods. Mostly dramas and then to go from those to a straight sitcom. You could tell it wasn't a real fit for her. 

• Love 2

Last Man Standing Snatches Up Dr. Ken Actress for Foreign Exchange Student Role

https://tvline.com/2018/08/20/last-man-standing-season-7-casts-krista-marie-yu-foreign-exchange-student/

attachment.php?attachmentid=231108&stc=1

Eve’s soon-to-be vacant bedroom has already found a new occupant. Last Man Standing has cast former Dr. Ken star Krista Marie Yu in the recurring role of Jen, a foreign exchange student, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Jen will first be introduced in Episode 4 of the ABC-turned-Fox sitcom. Vanessa takes the young scholar under her wing and convinces Mike to let her stay with them while she completes her schooling in the States. “Vanessa feels particularly tied to [Jen] because she’s interested in geology,” exec producer Kevin Abbott tells TVLine. “Vanessa’s always wanted to encourage [young women] to go into the sciences.”

Word of a foreign exchange student first broke during Last Man Standing‘s panel at the Television Critics’ Assoc. summer press tour in July. At the time, Abbott teased that the character would come from a “different political system,” paving the way for some “wonderful discussions and conflicts” within the Baxter household.

Yu’s arrival is the latest in a string of Last Man Standing casting shake-ups. As previously reported, Molly McCook (The Ranch) will succeed Molly Ephraim in the role of middle daughter Mandy, while Jet Jurgensmeyer (black-ish) will replace Flynn Morrison as Kristin and Ryan’s son Boyd. Kaitlyn Dever, who plays the aforementioned Eve, will only be back on a recurring basis while her character attends Air Force Academy.

Among the former series regulars confirmed to rejoin Tim Allen in Season 7 are Nancy Travis (Vanessa), Amanda Fuller (Kristin), Jonathan Adams (Chuck), Christoph Sanders (Kyle), Jordan Masterson (Ryan) and Hector Elizondo (Ed).

Yu is best known to TV audiences for her role as Ken Jeong’s teenage daughter Molly on Dr. Ken

I guess Yu is bitter at ABC too, because Dr. Ken was right behind LMS when it was cancelled. When ABC decided to dump their comedies last year in favor of more drama and news programs. It really backfired on them. Of course, Ken Jeong wasn't as upset when Dr. Ken was cancelled. Since there was talk of them possibly not coming back for a season 3 and why they wrote the final episode to be kind of a series finale. Of course, I think Jeong took ABC cancelling his show more of: "Well, that's show business." While Allen felt betrayed, when there was no hint they might end as a show unlike Dr. Ken. 

However, until episode 4 when they get Yu in. You would think they would want to get her in by episode 2 and start establishing things. Instead of waiting until 4 episodes in. At least they might do something with Vanessa this time instead of making her a moron who got her PhD through a cereal box. 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, webruce said:

Do feel bad they have to recast Mandy, and "age" Boyd. I know for awhile fans on here wanted Boyd pushed to the back ground when at first it was mostly him and Mike. But he almost disappeared. They did recast both Ryan and Kristin's actors when the series was young. So I guess we will get used to it, especially if it lasts more then one more season.

I do think they could stick with the Mike and Ryan disagreements of opinion. They still had it with Mike and Vanessa, and Mike and the girls.  I do wish they wouldn't just drop things because of lost of interest, or not sure how to move on. many series have the same problems.

Problem with Mike and Ryan disagreeing on things is they both come off as only knowing half the facts. Mike is old fashion and doesn't get why things need to change or change for the worst. While Ryan has this very: "If people did this, things would be great." However, will Ryan not realize some of his thoughts are very stupid? No. Does it help that Vanessa always defends Ryan just because he's Boyd's father? No. Does Kristin act like she really was fortunate everyone handed things to her, but then acts like she did it all her self. Goes back to the end of season 2 with the recasting. Kristin finally realized that the dining manager had been feeding her crap for a long time on why he didn't promote. Always an excuse, then JTT's character had an open assistant manager job and she goes and takes it. Pretty much handed to her. Then Mike finds the old Out Door Man dining plans. Then just gives it away to Kristin. Who then thinks she is the reason it was an instant success. Even when both Mandy and Eve point out that Mike just gave her a very successful career in her hands when she wanted to go to medical school, but then believed in celebrities thinking that vaccines give you autism and other problems (especially when they were saying and showing that Boyd had ADD). Then they dropped that and just focused on "Know it all Kristin and Ryan" Aren't they a great couple? Yet, everyone from fans to critics said to just drop their characters and in season 6 we saw a lot less of that or Kristin getting the smack down at times. Now its: "Let's push those characters front and center and show how Ryan and Kristin struggle with a pre-teen son." "It will be story telling gold!" While the rest of us are going: "That is the opposite of what we want."

• Love 1

There are a lot of loose ends and story lines that don't quite add up. Not sure how they will, if they will fix it. All should at times be proven wrong on things, and find that success isn't easy, like in real life. Yes Boyd started out front and center and they tried to kind of do the "Cosby and child" play with Mike and Boyd. Then people complained Boyd was to much, and he was pushed to the back ground. So it is hard to know how to do things so most people like it. They also went through the "Kyle was an idiot" stage. Then hes "good hearted but simple", which is kind of the same only not so blatantly stupid. But Mandy isn't the smartest at times, but is making her business work.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, webruce said:

There are a lot of loose ends and story lines that don't quite add up. Not sure how they will, if they will fix it. All should at times be proven wrong on things, and find that success isn't easy, like in real life. Yes Boyd started out front and center and they tried to kind of do the "Cosby and child" play with Mike and Boyd. Then people complained Boyd was to much, and he was pushed to the back ground. So it is hard to know how to do things so most people like it. They also went through the "Kyle was an idiot" stage. Then hes "good hearted but simple", which is kind of the same only not so blatantly stupid. But Mandy isn't the smartest at times, but is making her business work.

I think they really are going to try and move forward with some stories, but I think if you look at it. They want to do something with Ryan and Kristin they feel will make sense. Hopefully, the "new" Boyd will be what they believe will make better stories for the characters. Truth be told, the age doesn't really matter where it comes to Allen and Travis. Allen is 65 and Travis is 58. However, even if they are saying that Ryan and Kristin are 33, and they are having Boyd being 12 now. That means they were 21 when they had him. So, the entire: "got pregnant in high school" doesn't work for the characters anymore and they are probably hoping new fans won't ask and older fans will just accept it. 

Well, I have to say, the "new" Boyd is a much better actor than the previous one. However, I see both Ryan and Kristin have not changed. Sure, Ryan is like a lot of people and not happy with Trump, so what does he do? He quits his tutoring job with Vanessa and has to decide he needs to get a new job again, because Boyd runs away. The McCook as Mandy, doesn't feel right. I'm sorry, chemistry doesn't feel right with anyone, not even Kyle. I also see that Vanessa still apparently got her PhD through a mail in rebate. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Ugh. More politics, more meta winks to the audience, a new, stupider Mandy (or at the very least, she's - very broadly - played that way)... I think i'll sit this season out.

I was reading the tweet feed and many people are both ways with the episode. Many are saying they are just happy to have the show back, but others are going: "This is one of the reasons why ABC cancelled it." Fans saving the show or what, I feel the show should have just did what most people have done in the last year and a half and just moved on with their lives. Ryan is still at home whining about how the world is all wrong. Mike trying to basically say that it doesn't matter as long as the Republicans are in charge. Kristin and Mandy have really lost intelligence, and the "new" Mandy is very glaring she is not Molly Ephram. She is someone trying to "be" Mandy instead of making the character her own. However, Kyle looks great with the shorter hair and Ed and Chuck are still the same. Just like I said, the "new" Boyd can actually act. 

• Love 3

did they make the new Mandy dumber or is it just the way the new actress is playing her? and why did they keep Kyle and her apart so much? you would have no idea they were a couple at all the way they had them interacting other then her sittin on his lap for a sec....Other then that I liked it 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 4

ARe kyle and Mandy still living at the house?  I thought at the end of the last season they were building a house or something?  I prefer the old Mandy, but I actually think the new one did OK.  It's not really her fault she's a replacement.  Too political.  They used to do a better job of semi-subtly weaving the politics into whatever else was going on.  I'll give it another chance or two, but if they're all ALL about the politics, I'm out.

1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

did they make the new Mandy dumber or is it just the way the new actress is playing her? and why did they keep Kyle and her apart so much? you would have no idea they were a couple at all the way they had them interacting other then her sittin on his lap for a sec....Other then that I liked it 

Mandy used to go back and forth between being too stupid to breathe and just kind of regular stupid.  They might be trying to ease in Kyle and new Mandy.  But, also this episode was more about Mandy and Eve fighting and Ryan wanting to move to Canada.  

I didn't like it and won't watch.  Don't like that Mandy and Kyle are STILL living with parents.  Never have and still don't like Eve's character.  I see that Vanessa is still dumb as a doorknob.  New Boyd is good and was the only one with sense.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2018 at 7:42 PM, readheaded said:

How could he claim to be a victim if he saw the show being canned by ABC as a function of finances and the free-market?   Funny how Patricia Heaton, a very outspoken conservative, hasn't been such a victim.  Maybe all that cocaine in Allen's youth screwed with his brain.

Those people don't need a reason to play the victim card. It's what they do.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I didn't like it and won't watch.  Don't like that Mandy and Kyle are STILL living with parents.  Never have and still don't like Eve's character.  I see that Vanessa is still dumb as a doorknob.  New Boyd is good and was the only one with sense.

The problem is, they said that the Baxters moved on and that the last year and a half did pass for them. Well, if that's true, then Kyle and Mandy's house would have been built. Eve back from the air force made sense timing. However, Ryan basically sitting at home doing nothing because; "Trump is president and I have to complain about that no matter what". The move of more politics is not a good move, sorry Fox you are not going to get more viewers that way. No matter how much you said you "saved the show". Plus, the cast is big enough and they want to bring in a foreign exchange student to do more political talk between Mike and her because you know, we don't have enough right wing issues between Mike and Ryan already. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Those people don't need a reason to play the victim card. It's what they do.

Yes, basically they just: "Tell it how it is." Which you can go: "yes, they are outspoken, but they are stating the facts." The problem is, it was really simple, ABC thought they could get more viewers on Friday nights, but looking at older crowds who don't go out and thought drama and news was the way to go. They saw that Dr. Ken had lost a lot of ratings and LMS, while still good for it's time slot was starting to decrease. One show knew it most likely wouldn't be back since it wasn't naive in knowing those kind of ratings spell cancellations. Another show, just didn't see or hear anything until the last minute. One handled it with: "Well, that's show biz" the other was: "How dare you!" "You just don't like my politics!" 

11 minutes ago, readster said:

Plus, the cast is big enough and they want to bring in a foreign exchange student to do more political talk between Mike and her because you know, we don't have enough right wing issues between Mike and Ryan already. 

That's just weird.  We had 3 foreign exchange students in my class senior year.  All three of them were living with families with kids their age in the house.  How weird would it be to be a foreign exchange student and to be in a house filled only with adults?

• Love 4

I didn't love the new Mandy.  She was alright, I didn't hate her, just didn't love her.  Maybe she'll grow on me.  The new Boyd was great though.

The episode was more than a little heavy handed, but I did like the overall message of not letting things divide you so much when there's years of love and caring between you all.  You can disagree while still respecting and loving each other.

• Love 7
Just now, Katy M said:

That's just weird.  We had 3 foreign exchange students in my class senior year.  All three of them were living with families with kids their age in the house.  How weird would it be to be a foreign exchange student and to be in a house filled only with adults?

I know, and it's not like adults who end up being teachers or TA don't do foreign exchange students. I work with three who do that, but they have been doing this for years. They are basically saying that Vanessa is going to do this because she did it some 40 years ago (though she proves not to have the brain to do that or have a PhD). Plus, she is: "My kids are out of the house, I want another kid in the house who will be with us at least a year and go through high school again." Considering that they retro everything by having Mandy and Kyle still living at the house for another two years when Mike was on the verge of kicking them out because he wanted all the kids gone! When the writers are more: "We want to piss Mike off more because Ryan complaining about Trump and taking over Bud's pot shop isn't enough." "Let's have a clash of politics with a Chinese exchange student, that will be great comedy!"