Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man Standing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I missed the episodes where this Cousin Oliver was introduced...this is the Chinese exchange student?  I don't understand the point, and it does not seem like a natural thing for that family.  Plus, the actress' portrayal is nothing but annoying imo.

Also - The character of Vanessa could perish because she pumped kerosene into her gas tank by mistake, and the show would be, at worst, better off.

Vanessa all of a sudden was: "I was an exchange student and I loved it!" Never came up ONCE in the last 7 years. Then she tells Mike: "NO! I'm putting my foot down on this, I want this!" Mike: "You can do that?" First of all, shows almost a controlling relationship on Mike's side. Plus, what about ALL the other times Vanessa just let Mike, Ryan or the Girls just turn their noise up to Vanessa and convinced her to let them have their own way. NOW, she wants her own version of Eve so she can gang up on Mike? Because she has Empty Nest Syndrome? Don't even get me started on how stupid the Halloween episode was when Vanessa thought people were trying to trick her with a fake cop who was a real one. All screwed up because Kyle had to listen to Ryan and Kristin and couldn't feel his wallet in his side pocket to prove he owned the property? Seriously, how bad it's gotten.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, readster said:

Vanessa all of a sudden was: "I was an exchange student and I loved it!" Never came up ONCE in the last 7 years. Then she tells Mike: "NO! I'm putting my foot down on this, I want this!" Mike: "You can do that?" First of all, shows almost a controlling relationship on Mike's side. Plus, what about ALL the other times Vanessa just let Mike, Ryan or the Girls just turn their noise up to Vanessa and convinced her to let them have their own way. NOW, she wants her own version of Eve so she can gang up on Mike? Because she has Empty Nest Syndrome? Don't even get me started on how stupid the Halloween episode was when Vanessa thought people were trying to trick her with a fake cop who was a real one. All screwed up because Kyle had to listen to Ryan and Kristin and couldn't feel his wallet in his side pocket to prove he owned the property? Seriously, how bad it's gotten.

Yeah.  I'm pretty much blaming the writing.  Or Tim Allen, if he has control - dunno if he does.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, marriedaniac said:

I still love Kyle.

And I also love Nancy Travis & Tim Allen's chemistry, but part of me wishes Jill Taylor Patricia Richardson will return and she and Mike have a 'moment'. 😉

Watching reruns of HI I always feel like Jill was mean and antagonistic toward Tim. Especially when her and her friends would gang up on Tim and make fun of him. Mike and Vanessa seem to have more of a teamwork relationship and act like they really like each other. Mike doesn't always have to be the heavy or the bad guy because Vanessa will take that on if she feels strongly about something. They seem like a more realistic couple.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, marriedaniac said:

I still love Kyle.

And I also love Nancy Travis & Tim Allen's chemistry, but part of me wishes Jill Taylor Patricia Richardson will return and she and Mike have a 'moment'. 😉

I would like to see her or at least Richard or Jonathan to return one last time.

• Love 1

Just watched the most recent episode.  It was okay, but I think that the actress who plays the exchange student (and the writers) are really not playing this right-she's way too rude for being a guest in someone's home.  They can't substitute another character into a "family role" (i.e. Eve) as the dynamics are not the same.  I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it continues to bother me.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, seacliffsal said:

Just watched the most recent episode.  It was okay, but I think that the actress who plays the exchange student (and the writers) are really not playing this right-she's way too rude for being a guest in someone's home.  They can't substitute another character into a "family role" (i.e. Eve) as the dynamics are not the same.  I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but it continues to bother me.

Plus, we probably won't see much of Eve for a season 8. The ratings were up for the first time in over a month for Fox's time slot. However, Molly has a movie coming out and is busy filming two more, there is even rumors that she might be up for a Marvel Movie coming down the pipe. Also, Christin Yu, who plays the exchange student has been in talks for the upcoming Shang-chi movie about her being a childhood friend of Shang for his origin story, which is another Marvel Property. Plus, exchange students don't stay past a year, so how are they going to explain her still being there? Even with the show being off the air for a year, they actually explained that year still happened in real time with the series. While Disney has acquired things from Fox and now can do more MCU Marvel Movies. That is really pulling more cast members away from LMS, plus add in Toy Story 4 and some talk that Nancy Travis might be doing a Pixar movie in the near future and other series on both Hulu and Netflix that people like McCook and then add in McMaster's involvement with Scientology. I don't see the show lasting past next year. 

Edited by readster
Eve not even

I really enjoyed this episode about Kyle and Pastor Paul.  It also presented a life lesson for me in that my joy and passion for teaching has been eroding due to micromanagement, policies that lessen rigor, and other issues.  It reminded me that I need to find outlets for teaching and learning that aren't bogged down by bureaucracy and paperwork.  Who knew that I would have some self-reflection from a sitcom...

I also thought it presented another side of Kyle that they don't develop enough-that he does have emotional understanding and a valid perspective on issues.  I like it when they show him as more than dim-witted.

And, never living in the snow belt, I continue to not understanding the allure of ice-fishing.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really enjoyed this episode about Kyle and Pastor Paul.  It also presented a life lesson for me in that my joy and passion for teaching has been eroding due to micromanagement, policies that lessen rigor, and other issues.  It reminded me that I need to find outlets for teaching and learning that aren't bogged down by bureaucracy and paperwork.  Who knew that I would have some self-reflection from a sitcom...

I also thought it presented another side of Kyle that they don't develop enough-that he does have emotional understanding and a valid perspective on issues.  I like it when they show him as more than dim-witted.

And, never living in the snow belt, I continue to not understanding the allure of ice-fishing.

They have shown Kyle several times how emotionally connected he can be and even how emotionally he has been hurt over the years. Yet, they want to play up the "dumbass who can't tie his shoes" way, way too much. It's like Ryan, they can help but always have him do some ludricus way of thinking just to make a point and when he sits down and actually explains what he wants. He doesn't come off like a moron who thinks the Earth is flat. You at times, feel for him. However, they have to hammer it to the above that: "Mike is super conservative, Ryan is a hippy, Kristin is an idoit, Mandy is an air head, Vanessa is brain dead, Kyle is Kyle and Ed is 'old' and Chuck just likes to make fights because he enjoys it." 

I missed the show when it was on ABC so only now trying to see the first seasons - but both WGN and CMT keep running the same reruns so it's basically the same few episodes.  What I've seen of this "new" season has really disappointed me.  The actor changes can't be helped because of the time lag between cancellation and new network but this new exchange student makes me want to change channels - she's irritating and unpleasant to watch - not funny at all and it's bringing the show down.  The new Mandy is not funny - she does not have the sense of timing and "cluelessness" that Molly had - sorry.  Now this business with Ed marrying Vanessa's mom?  It's beyond weird!  It was silly and unbelievable enough that two of the daughters had to get married and mostly end up living in the parents house for too long - now we have what I term a "quasi-incestuous" type of joining that's got me wanting to not watch anymore even though I LOVE Tim Allen.  Wish the writers would pay attention to some of their fan mail -- or maybe this is their way of bringing the ratings down on purpose so the show doesn't just change days but gets yanked again, this time for good?

• Love 3
On 3/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, aakira said:

I missed the show when it was on ABC so only now trying to see the first seasons - but both WGN and CMT keep running the same reruns so it's basically the same few episodes.  What I've seen of this "new" season has really disappointed me.  The actor changes can't be helped because of the time lag between cancellation and new network but this new exchange student makes me want to change channels - she's irritating and unpleasant to watch - not funny at all and it's bringing the show down.  The new Mandy is not funny - she does not have the sense of timing and "cluelessness" that Molly had - sorry.  Now this business with Ed marrying Vanessa's mom?  It's beyond weird!  It was silly and unbelievable enough that two of the daughters had to get married and mostly end up living in the parents house for too long - now we have what I term a "quasi-incestuous" type of joining that's got me wanting to not watch anymore even though I LOVE Tim Allen.  Wish the writers would pay attention to some of their fan mail -- or maybe this is their way of bringing the ratings down on purpose so the show doesn't just change days but gets yanked again, this time for good?

Yeah, despite Fox saying: "We saved it for the fans." and even Tim Allen and Nancy Travis said that was why it came back. This season proved that two things should have happened. 1. ABC should have given the show one last season and ended it. 2. They should NEVER have renewed it to begin with. While they will get another season most likely, with the talk of changing nights and a few other things, plus Disney/Fox merger going through. I don't see the show lasting after next year. It's time to close the book on the Baxters. It's become a shadow of it's former self. 

• Love 1

Here's hoping Vanessa's poem to Cousin Oliver was the show's way of sending her off.   They probably won't get Eve back again full time next year, but anything is better than this.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Here's hoping Vanessa's poem to Cousin Oliver was the show's way of sending her off.   They probably won't get Eve back again full time next year, but anything is better than this.

Mandy and Kristin are in their late 20s early 30s. They are jealous a 17 (25) year old because she became Vanessa's version of Eve? Oh that was just too much and the pinball game face off. What was this? 1972? Oh right, the writers who only watch the last year of the show on ABC think it's funny? Get it? Funny! No, no it wasn't it was really, really bad. Yeah, Fox, wrap the show up next year. Everyone proved their point. They have ran out of jokes. ABC should have just wrapped the show up themselves and Fox thought they would be the white knight bringing the show back. Let it die!

This last episode looked like it was 2 different sitcoms. Was Mike even at the house? The problem is that enough people watch it that Fox can keep it on the air, but the aging process makes old plots impossible and new plots are not very good. I know Tim Allen is trying to defy the "men are dumb" in sticoms sterotype, but the whole blindfolded pinball was on the level of putting on a leather jacket and ski jumping over a shark.

It's too bad they can't do like the "For Better or For Worse" comic strip and

Spoiler

de-age everyone back to when the kids were in grade school. 

23 hours ago, ketose said:

This last episode looked like it was 2 different sitcoms. Was Mike even at the house? The problem is that enough people watch it that Fox can keep it on the air, but the aging process makes old plots impossible and new plots are not very good. I know Tim Allen is trying to defy the "men are dumb" in sticoms sterotype, but the whole blindfolded pinball was on the level of putting on a leather jacket and ski jumping over a shark.

It's too bad they can't do like the "For Better or For Worse" comic strip and

Hide contents

de-age everyone back to when the kids were in grade school. 

Especially when you add in like everyone fell out of the 60s and ready to beat up Chuck. That was just all kinds of bad. Seriously, it was like they tried to pull a: "For Better or For Worst" and make them all go back to their high school days. It was all kinds of bad. 

Season 8 Held For Midseason

Despite the comedy’s strong ratings performance in its first season on Fox, it has been held for later in the season. Last Man Standing had to leave its long-time Friday home as WWE’s SmackDown Live takes over the night in the fall, and was not assigned another slot on the Fox fall schedule, which will feature no live-acting comedies for the first time in years.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Boo

They're gonna put LMS on later in the season for WWE? Ugh

I already have a problem with WWE taking over USA some nights when I'm watching reruns of Modern Family. Now it's gonna take over Fox. Does anyone watch this wrestling stuff?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Boo

I already have a problem with WWE taking over USA some nights when I'm watching reruns of Modern Family. Now it's gonna take over Fox. Does anyone watch this wrestling stuff?

I remember being sick in the hospital with very few decent TV channels to watch. I spent time watching MF on USA, but I dreaded when WWE was on instead! 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 2:29 PM, Aryanna said:

Boo

It's almost like Fox is "trying" to kill the show the brought back. Most likely since ratings not only went back to what they were on ABC but then started to continue to drop to still good, but not what they once were. I think everyone, including Tim Allen need to realize it's time to wrap the show up. They don't have half the cast anymore they use to, or they are busy doing other projects. No ONE wants: Ryan, Kristin, Boyd or the new "Cousin Oliver". Chuck and Mike's problems are stemming out of the 70s and really the only people who want Jay Leno guest appearances are the show's writers. 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, libgirl2 said:

I remember being sick in the hospital with very few decent TV channels to watch. I spent time watching MF on USA, but I dreaded when WWE was on instead! 

You do have to wonder WHY regular network TV still thinks most people are home to watch WWE. you have basic cable channels and specials and streaming. I do think Fox is doing like other networks and trying to get the show ended. Also, since they are writing in Amanda Fuller's REAL LIFE pregnancy and how the actors are saying they didn't work on Kris and Ryan having another kid because the writers thought that be to hard on Fuller since she couldn't get pregnant. It be a good way to wrap up the characters and give Kris and Ryan that "new baby" since they feel Boyd doesn't want them around anymore. Plus, fill Vanessa's "I want another grand child now" problem. 

The upcoming season starts January 2nd.

Last Man Standing fans will be seeing double when Tim Allen and Co. return with Season 8 early next year. In announcing its midseason schedule, Fox revealed that the revived sitcom will air back-to-back episodes for three consecutive Thursdays from 8-9 pm beginning Jan. 2. (WWE SmackDown’s Friday takeover led Fox to relocate Last Man Standing to Thursdays). Starting Thursday, Jan. 23, Last Man Standing will be paired with the new Jason Biggs/Maggie Lawson comedy Outmatched.

• Love 2

January 2nd? Back to back episodes? 

I think this is the end for LMS. Sounds like they're just trying to get through this as quickly as possible. Hopefully they tried to wrap the show up at the end of this season and hopefully we get to see Eve for the final episode.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2015 at 7:10 PM, yeswedo said:
At the grand opening of The Outdoor Man Grill, things get tense when restaurant manager Kristin feels like co-owner Ed is undermining her ability to run the place. Meanwhile, Eve distances herself from a childhood girlfriend who seems to have a crush on her.

I'm confused. It was Mike's idea to partner with Ed and Ed wasn't sold on the idea. She was asked, by Mike, to be his partner and part owner and he and Vanessa put up the seed money. Now she's just the manager? Just weird, how they drop storylines.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, NanaV said:

I'm confused. It was Mike's idea to partner with Ed and Ed wasn't sold on the idea. She was asked, by Mike, to be his partner and part owner and he and Vanessa put up the seed money. Now she's just the manager? Just weird, how they drop storylines.

The restaurant idea was a good plan for Kristin considering they started her at the diner. Then had her leave with Jonathan Taylor Thomas's character eatery, since Kristin found out her boss was just lying to her all these years to keep from paying her more. However, they show wanted Kristin and Ryan back together because you know "it's a big happy family then" with wacky hijacks from Ryan and Mike fighting and Vanessa going: "But he's our grandson's father." crap. 

On that thought, since the show returns in a few weeks, so they are writing in Amanda Fuller's real life pregnancy. Will this go well? Will Boyd be jealous of his new sibling. Will Vanessa be creating the "new nursery" because she wants kids back in the house? Will Ryan and Kristin feel they can raise a kid together "right" this time? Or should the show burn off and finally end?

New episode drops tomorrow:

S8.E01: No Parental Guidance 

Mike helps Vanessa deal with empty nest syndrome. Meanwhile, Kristin announces her pregnancy to the family and unknowingly upsets Mandy in the process.

Airdate: 01/02/2020

16 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Oh good, Cousin Oliver is still here.   Because she adds so much.

How she is still there doesn't many sense either. You can't just STAY as an exchange student in this day and age. You meet your requirements for the school year and then leave back to your own country. I also find that interesting that Mandy who was: "I'm not ready to be a mom" last season. Now is all jealous of Ryan and Kristin having kid #2 because now she is having "problems". Jay Leno still adds nothing to the show and now they are really trying to turn it into Home Improvement #2 with the car shop. The only person who has any type of natural progression is Kyle. Him wanting to go into the ministry isn't out of nowhere, that's been a part of him since the show first aired. He was always more about his religion and beliefs, it was Ryan who is all: "I grew up in a rich family and how can I believe in God?' 

26 minutes ago, readster said:

How she is still there doesn't many sense either. You can't just STAY as an exchange student in this day and age. You meet your requirements for the school year and then leave back to your own country. I also find that interesting that Mandy who was: "I'm not ready to be a mom" last season. Now is all jealous of Ryan and Kristin having kid #2 because now she is having "problems". Jay Leno still adds nothing to the show and now they are really trying to turn it into Home Improvement #2 with the car shop. The only person who has any type of natural progression is Kyle. Him wanting to go into the ministry isn't out of nowhere, that's been a part of him since the show first aired. He was always more about his religion and beliefs, it was Ryan who is all: "I grew up in a rich family and how can I believe in God?' 

I know this doesn't count for "in this day and age" but, how long was Fez an exchange student?

I've only seen the show once and a half since the network switch. Sounds like I'm not missing anything.

This show has about twice as many characters as most successful sitcoms.  22 minutes is not enough time to tell a coherent story and make it funny for that many people.  It would have been interesting if Tim Allen could have done workplace comedy set in a sporting goods store instead of Home Improvement with daughters.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I know this doesn't count for "in this day and age" but, how long was Fez an exchange student?

I've only seen the show once and a half since the network switch. Sounds like I'm not missing anything.

4th episode last October. They even admit that it's after Christmas, so that means she has been living with the Baxters almost a year and a half. Which, you can't do unless you are in college on a student Visa. They hammered it that Fez (Cousin Oliver 2.0) was a "senior in high school". 

5 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I remember when LMS used to be funny.  This was just painful to watch.   I'm actually hoping for cancellation if the entire season is like this. 

Yeah, it's shown that it's way pass it's prime and needs to end. They keep trying to recreate the show and add in as many characters as they can. Most shows go: "We have a budget, we can't pay that many people." 

• Love 1
On 1/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, Katy M said:

That 70's show took place between Fall 1976 and December 1979. Fez was an exchange student for probably 2 years, then he was going to be deported, but he married Laurie Foreman. As for LMS, this was totally a Cousin Oliver deal. The irony is that Boyd is almost aged up to her level and we never see him.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ketose said:

That 70's show took place between Fall 1976 and December 1979. Fez was an exchange student for probably 2 years, then he was going to be deported, but he married Laurie Foreman. As for LMS, this was totally a Cousin Oliver deal. The irony is that Boyd is almost aged up to her level and we never see him.

No kidding and then you add in that Ryan and Kristen are going to have kid #2, based on Amanda Fuller's real life pregnancy. Though good for her after all the problems she had to deal with. But they basically tried to make Vanessa's version of Eve and now the show seems to want to put Mike into Car trading and Kyle to seminary now with NuMandy jealous Kristen is having a baby and her and Kyle now apparently having problems. The show wants to be another show with the same characters now. 

Okay (small voice), I enjoyed the first episode-it made me laugh and I was happy to have the show back.  The foreign exchange student continues to be a misfire and I would enjoy the show more without her.  I don't like it when shows in general feel they have to replace the characters who have aged up-just feature their new lives and issues.  

The second episode wasn't as funny to me.  I prefer Mike's interactions with his family as I enjoy the push-backs done with love.

Overall, I enjoy the show and am glad it's back.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

The latest two episodes were an improvement over the season premiere.  There was minimal Cousin Oliver, and I muted the few scenes she was in, anyway.   I might have even chuckled a couple of times.

Here is the problem, you get people and critics who pretty much say who the weakest link of a show like this is. I get they have contracts they have to honor, but I'm sorry. Then cut the characters that JUST AREN'T WORKING! The show has plenty to focus on and maybe if they stop keeping Jay Leno around or just play up the "new" business they want him to be in, then focus on that. It's not like Jay Leno doesn't have an audience while with Cousin Oliver, they tried to make her Vanessa's Eve and it doesn't work and they've had a year to show that. Not like they can't get Eve (Molly) back from time to time, so just move on with it. 

I agree that they need to cut out the exchange student.  Her demeanor doesn't fit with the rest of the cast/characters and there's really no rhyme or reason for her being included in the stories.  Jay Leno doesn't add anything for me, but he fits in better than the exchange student IMO.  

I thought they were just double blocking the premiere, but it seems like that's the plan for the rest of the season.  I enjoy this show a lot more than many other sitcoms so will be sad if they cancel it at the end of the season.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I thought they were just double blocking the premiere, but it seems like that's the plan for the rest of the season.

This week is the last week that there's two shows back-to-back; next week a new show called OutMatched is coming on at 8:30.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, seacliffsal said:

I agree that they need to cut out the exchange student.  Her demeanor doesn't fit with the rest of the cast/characters and there's really no rhyme or reason for her being included in the stories. .  

The main problem was the show runners said that she was to "replace" Eve, but be Vanessa's version of Eve. It not only doesn't work, you can't make the SAME character and then say, well, they AREN'T the same. I remember at one point where they had Kristin and NuMandy jealous of her. Why? They basically ignored their mother, in fact half the time it seemed all 3 girls wanted to piss off Vanessa for no apparent reason and think less of her. So, now they are jealous because someone actually sees and respects her? You can't have it both ways.

12 hours ago, readster said:

The main problem was the show runners said that she was to "replace" Eve, but be Vanessa's version of Eve. It not only doesn't work, you can't make the SAME character and then say, well, they AREN'T the same. I remember at one point where they had Kristin and NuMandy jealous of her. Why? They basically ignored their mother, in fact half the time it seemed all 3 girls wanted to piss off Vanessa for no apparent reason and think less of her. So, now they are jealous because someone actually sees and respects her? You can't have it both ways.

It's like they were trying to reverse the trend over the years of Tim Allen / Mike Baxter being central in every aspect of the show. At a certain point, you can't really freshen up a sitcom. Season 8 is usually that point, like for Wings and Who's the Boss?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ketose said:

It's like they were trying to reverse the trend over the years of Tim Allen / Mike Baxter being central in every aspect of the show. At a certain point, you can't really freshen up a sitcom. Season 8 is usually that point, like for Wings and Who's the Boss?

I agree, why I also get tired of reality shows that stay on way past their due date. At one point, you have seen the stories and all the "added drama". Here with LMS standing, the stories were pretty much finished and even with Amanda Fuller's real life pregnancy, they don't even focus on the one person this would really effect, which is Boyd. Oh no, even after casting kid actor #3, who can actually act. They don't even deal with their reaction to everything, similar to how they just flicked Ben off after Rachel and Ross had Emma on Friends. 

Instead they focus on a character no one enjoys or wants on the show, and nothing against the actress, and I get it's a paycheck, but I hope she takes the deal for the upcoming Shange Chi: And the Ten Rings movie and makes a run for it.