Type keyword(s) to search

S07.02: Top of the Class

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Refresh said:

Was there a sale on colored lace or something?

I understand why Sonny was eliminated but I recall other instances in PR history where someone took a different interpretation of the challenge and didn't get let go. Maybe he didn't defend it very well?

I hated Sean's look. The purple dangly bits were reminiscent of pasties.

They mad me think of remoras clinging to the belly of a shark.

13 hours ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

How do Anthony Ryan’s pants fit into the ‘graduation DRESS challenge’ parameters?

Ha!  We had a go-round at Casa Millennium.   I insisted the challenge was "graduation DRESS" while the opposition contended it was "graduation outfit" in a vain attempt to legitimize Anthony Ryan's violation of the rules.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Seth Aaron's was lovely, but he's such an arrogant ass that I never want him to win. Ever.

I thought his dress was a vintage creation from the wardrobe department of Get Christie Love.

Seth, meanwhile, looks like an aging member of an 80's band.  Maybe Roxy Music.  Or the Stranglers.

• Love 7

Amazed Anthony Ryan won - I had him in the bottom three. Ugly and clumsily made. And pants!

Those were a load of fugly colors on almost every design - I don't see why they had to choose such awful shades and fabrics. I though Christina's red lace top was hideous, but 'red and navy blue' together can be charming if you choose a raspberry red and more of a deep cobalt shade. If they were supposedly matching the exact colors, I can't get past Julie's horrible 'purple' outfit, that was more of a cyclamen (and also hideous) - thank god she was safe!

I thought the Dutch fellow would be in the bottom three for his foil minidress with random sheer draping, along with Anthony Ryan and Irina. Are they keeping Irina for comic value? She has skill, for sure, but egregious taste. There were so many truly awful creations, they were spoilt for choice really.

Very sad Sunny went, for want of a strip of blue tule - or an underlayer of the blue he bought, I think - because otherwise his design was lovely.

Typical pratty judges move, punishing Sunny this week and pandering to Anya (another goddam poolparty 'dress', this time with shorts) and petboy Anthony Ryan the previous one.

On All  Stars, though I enjoy Isaac's patter, I watch the judges' faces when Alyssa says "Are we all agreed?" to see if he is sulking, and if he isn't then my heart sinks as it means Anthony Ryan,  or some other dubious pet, is staying again.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Ha!  We had a go-round at Casa Millennium.   I insisted the challenge was "graduation DRESS" while the opposition contended it was "graduation outfit" in a vain attempt to legitimize Anthony Ryan's violation of the rules.

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I even went back and rewatched the beginning of the episode to see exactly what the challenge was. Georgina said, "We want you to design a spring or summer DRESS for a graduation party and we want your looks to be sophisticated but appropriate for a celebration." For that reason, I think Anthony Ryan failed this challenge as much as Sonny did and shouldn't have won.

• Love 4

I wish Alyssa had specified which type of graduation party the designers had to design for. 

I graduated in the early 90's, so my compass on the latest trends might be off, but I don't remember any of my peers dressing up for their graduation parties. These were held in the summer and where I grew up, it gets super humid, so we were all in shirts and shorts. The same was true when I graduated from college. 

Maybe grad school grads get gussied up for parties, but high school grads? College grads? I don't think so. 

I wasn't very impressed with any of the designs this week. 

• Love 5

If this turns into the Anthony Ryan show, like it did in the season he won, I may have to tune out.  I already don't like the reprieve he got last week, he should have been auffed for that hideousness.  I didn't like this week's look either and can't believe he won.  Oh, wait, yes I can believe it because IM has to steamroll for his chosen ones.  I sure hope AR doesn't pull out that tired color blocking stuff he was so big on.

I do like seeing what the international designers come up with.  Canadian guy has impressed me so far.

• Love 16
42 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I wish Alyssa had specified which type of graduation party the designers had to design for. 

I graduated in the early 90's, so my compass on the latest trends might be off, but I don't remember any of my peers dressing up for their graduation parties. These were held in the summer and where I grew up, it gets super humid, so we were all in shirts and shorts. The same was true when I graduated from college. 

Maybe grad school grads get gussied up for parties, but high school grads? College grads? I don't think so. 

I wasn't very impressed with any of the designs this week. 

I wore dresses for all of my graduations (HS - master's), but the first two were not my choice. My mother is weird about women wearing pants for certain events. Don't ask. 

I actually really liked Anthony Ryan's, and could see myself wearing it -- but in different colors. I love orange (yes, it's polarizing), but that orange and that blue were too electric for me. However, I enjoy the top and the loose pants. Definitely needed a different shoe (glad Alyssa thought the same). That and Anya's outfit would have gone over well in humid climates, like the one I grew up in. 

If Sunny hadn't given the finger up to the challenge, Irina would have gone home and there would have been zero arguments from me. That fabric was hideous and the proportions were way off. 

I liked the red/white dress that sort of looked like brocade? It could have been so matronly, but the way the designer sculpted the fabric made it very interesting. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, plurie said:

She should have said that in Australia, graduation IS in the fall.

Australia's school year is late January to early December so most graduations from high school are in summer. University graduations are dependent on semesters. I graduated in March but there are later graduations

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Lady J said:

For the most part these were not graduation dresses.

I was wondering if any of the designers had ever been to a graduation ceremony or party.

Dmitri's design was very '80s, but so was that burgundy and gold thing. It looked like the homemade things girls in my high school wore for new wave/punk dtess-up day during homecoming week in the 1980s.

Did I see a card that said guy had "burgandy and gold"?

• Love 2

I love both the 'pasties' and 'lures hung on a dress' descriptions for that odd "I can't get too far from a fringe-based asthetic" dress. I thought it looked unfinished or at least poorly planned/designed.

I think Sunny may have gotten by if he attached the brooch to the front, but putting it on the back shoulder so it was only seen as the model left the runway really was a big ole f-u to the competition. Blue and gold are famously Michigan colors (Though his not being from the States he might not have known) and they are one of the most closely associated with their colors as is possible (and I say that hating Michigan and it's blue and gold clad fans). He simply chose to not follow the rules. I do feel a little bad though as he'd apparently had a head injury so maybe he wasn't thinking clearly.

• Love 2

Am I some kind of loser?  I didn't have a graduation party, yet it was the happiest day of my life!  I wore a normal outfit because it was going to be covered by a robe anyway.  I certainly didn't go to a Brooklyn rooftop.  LOL, these people.

• Love 19

I thought Anthony Ryan was color blind?! Or was that only when he needs to be (like when he needs a dying family member).  

Something about Sonny’s dress seemed fuzzy, like a filter was put just over that dress, and that effect I loved!  If only he had a blue belt. 

• Love 17

My university's colors are green and gold. I wear them in my class ring every day. That said, Michelle chose terrible shades for her garment. Most of them got stuck thinking they had to match the tassel exactly and didn't even try for maybe a softer hue. Dmitry's was straight up McDonalds. I was thinking a nice outfit could have been made using a neutral base and the two required colors more as accents.

Blue and orange are also the NY Mets.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

I wore dresses for all of my graduations (HS - master's), but the first two were not my choice. My mother is weird about women wearing pants for certain events. Don't ask. 

I've no doubt it's a thing elsewhere. It seems kind of strange at the high school level. 

Then again, our school's graduation ceremonies were held in the school gym on a Friday night. It got so hot that everyone was sweating and fanning themselves. Some might have gone the dress casual route, but many more kept it super casual. Otherwise, you'd die of heatstroke. Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Once again Anthony Ryan is called the winner with the least inspiring and least flattering outfit.  Just fugly.  Michelle's up there too along with that hideous metallic number.  

One thing I can not stand in fashion is those super low cut cleavages.  It always seems to be an accident of boobage waiting to happen.  Its not sophisticated, its cheap.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I actually liked the ice-blue Barbie Graduates from Hooker School dress; it read "Par-TAY!"

I loved the color and the full skirt, but it definitely needed to be longer. I disliked the halter top, not just because it didn't cover her breasts, but because it was cheap and easy looking. When she first was working on the garment, wasn't there a short top with lace on it? It just seemed like Irina put so much time into the skirt and then ignored the top and on top of everything the skirt wasn't long enough to cover the model's hoohah. Very disappointing. 
And why the heck wasn't Anya called out for making the same dress again only putting shorts under it? Her outfit looked like it was made for a pool party and not a graduation party. I don't care where you're from. If you only know how to make one thing, you've got no business being on this show. 

• Love 7

On Demand isn't showing this season yet. Fortunately, a website called Dailymotion is. The video quality is poor, but the ads are limited & I got to see what I needed to see. So, thanks for that.

I call bullshit on AR's win. He can't help the ugly color combination, but nothing about that outfit said 'special occasion' to me. 

Irina's taste level certainly is questionable. Everybody knows you don't show boobs & legs, like pick one. Certainly not at an event like a graduation party that implies your family will be around. Quince-hooker, indeed.

^^^Both of these looks (& some others) failed my 'special occasion' test: pick something classic & timeless that you won't be embarrassed to see pictures of decades from now. (Mm... I still remember my college graduation dress... it was white textured cotton, sleeveless sheath with a little belt. Benetton, I think. It was $100 & I felt very fancy. If I could fit it---which I can't! Lol---I'd still wear it today.)

My favorite was the white dress with the cut outs & the little shrug.

It's a shame Sunny went out early on a beautiful dress, but I get the judges' point. That pin was an after thought. I wish he would have trimmed his last layer of skirt in blue & then added 1 full ruffle of just blue fabric at the bottom. Or added some blue beading to enhance the brooch---something. Based on the footage I saw, he didn't even try to incorporate the blue.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

why did so many designers go straight to the (cheap-looking) lace section of Mood? A quick and dirty way to get two colors (layer one color lace over different color base)?

Bingo.

14 hours ago, JunebugWA said:

Anyone else got excited to see Miesha from season 15 as one of the models? I love her!

I would have if I'd seen her! I love her--pure sunshine. Whose model was she?

13 hours ago, Tippi said:

If this turns into the Anthony Ryan show, like it did in the season he won, I may have to tune out.  I already don't like the reprieve he got last week, he should have been auffed for that hideousness.  I didn't like this week's look either and can't believe he won.  Oh, wait, yes I can believe it because IM has to steamroll for his chosen ones.  I sure hope AR doesn't pull out that tired color blocking stuff he was so big on.

I do like seeing what the international designers come up with.  Canadian guy has impressed me so far.

I cannot stand Anthony Ryan. There I said it. When he was on the bottom last week I was all "so long Anya--Isaac won't let the object of his affection go so soon". Then they kept BOTH of them! Jesus. They will do anything to keep their pets, I guess.

I am far more interested in seeing the international winners than this tired crew. Anya is a big yawn. I find Anthony Ryan and Sean insufferable. Seth Aaron is phoning it in. Irina too. I am loving Bidell, Jasper, and the Australian women. I am pining for some fresh perspectives and people I don't know!

11 hours ago, AntManBee said:

I thought Anthony Ryan was color blind?! Or was that only when he needs to be (like when he needs a dying family member).  

Something about Sonny’s dress seemed fuzzy, like a filter was put just over that dress, and that effect I loved!  If only he had a blue belt. 

Ooh, you're snarky! Come sit next to me.

Sonny's dress was a dream. I was thinking he could include just a few layers of blue tulle in the skirt--it would look like the sun in a bright blue sky!

10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

My university's colors are green and gold. I wear them in my class ring every day. That said, Michelle chose terrible shades for her garment. Most of them got stuck thinking they had to match the tassel exactly and didn't even try for maybe a softer hue. Dmitry's was straight up McDonalds. I was thinking a nice outfit could have been made using a neutral base and the two required colors more as accents.

Blue and orange are also the NY Mets.

I too wish there had been some clarification wrt the rules--were the exact shades required or was there wiggle room? Did there have to be equal distribution of colors?

Most of this runway was dreck.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, millennium said:

I thought his dress was a vintage creation from the wardrobe department of Get Christie Love.

Seth, meanwhile, looks like an aging member of an 80's band.  Maybe Roxy Music.  Or the Stranglers.

Both of those things are pluses in my book, though I don't think you meant them that way. I think he kind of looks like he could be Adam Lambert's dad.

13 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Someone last week mentioned that they hoped the America contestants wouldn’t be given preference over the international ones.  Well, apparently they will.  Irina deserved to go.

Why would anyone hope for that? I was actually AFRAID of that. They'll make sure the finale isn't all one or the other, though, I bet. Even if they have to apply Anthony Ryan level judging rules to someone to keep them in. (And again, I remember really liking Anthony Ryan in his first season, but he's been send-home-worthy both shows this season so far.)

• Love 3

It looked like a Big 10 color palette with Green Bay Packers green and gold thrown in. Burgundy and gold - U of Minnesota! Purple and white - Northwestern! Red and white - Wisconsin. Green and white - Michigan State. 

• Love 3

I really didn't understand why none of the designers attempted to use seersucker instead of gravitating towards lace.  A blue and white seersucker with pops of red, yellow or orange would be a dream combination to me.  I did not dress up for my undergraduate graduation ceremony because why bother if I am wearing a robe over it.  Also it was unseasonably chilly that morning.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AntManBee said:

Maybe he is.  He kept talking about how he hates orange but (I think it was the colouring of my TV) every time he did that he was wearing orange.  He wore an orange shirt, orange glasses (maybe more yellowish) and DEFINITELY an orange hat.  I was like, what the hell? He hates orange but he's CONSTANTLY wearing it.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, SHD said:

Both of those things are pluses in my book, though I don't think you meant them that way. I think he kind of looks like he could be Adam Lambert's dad.

There was no implied judgment.   Just impressions.   I love 80s music (First Wave on SXM) and I remember Get Christie Love from my youth.

• Love 1

I don't get why they are oh so keen on AR either - for the drama I guess. I'd take Gretchen over Anthony Ryan any day! If they had ever put AR and Helen in the same season my TV will implode.  I'm so glad that after this season we will be done with Manspreading Mizrahi and his favourite boys club.

One thing that can be said for Irina's dress is that it was well made, considering the time. It is mesmerizing what people like her or Dimitri can do in the time it takes Anya to staple together a beach cover up.

• Love 12
On 1/10/2019 at 2:41 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Anthony Ryan decided to take Anne's advice and embrace the orange. I thought the assignment was to design a summer dress, not a summer outfit. I even went back and rewatched the beginning of the episode to see exactly what the challenge was. Georgina said, "We want you to design a spring or summer DRESS for a graduation party and we want your looks to be sophisticated but appropriate for a celebration." For that reason, I think Anthony Ryan failed this challenge as much as Sonny did and shouldn't have won. Between the two looks, I liked Sonny's a lot more and I found it more appropriate for a graduation party.

I totally agree. While I was annoyed that Sunny didn't follow the parameters set out for the challenge, I don't think that he should've been held to a different standard than Anthony Ryan. Plus frankly Irina's outfit was hideous and barely appropriate for a club, let alone a graduation party. That alone should have been enough to knock her out, especially if the purpose of all this is to produce good fashion.

Edited by JenLily
  • Love 7
On 1/10/2019 at 12:30 PM, Gloriosa said:

I think some of those truly unfortunate color combinations could have worked better with a color-blocked dress.  There was way too much lace on that runway.

Or a print or pastels.  For example this print:

orange-green-pastel-gradient-mesh-backgr 

or this one: 

marigolds.jpg.501dc4474dee52342fb856794593e2ca.jpg

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe he is.  He kept talking about how he hates orange but (I think it was the colouring of my TV) every time he did that he was wearing orange.  He wore an orange shirt, orange glasses (maybe more yellowish) and DEFINITELY an orange hat.  I was like, what the hell? He hates orange but he's CONSTANTLY wearing it.

I noticed that too.  My wife said that his shirt was "a bit brown but in the orange family" and I said "all the way back to great-great-grandparents all being orange in the family"!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Aulty said:

One thing that can be said for Irina's dress is that it was well made, considering the time. It is mesmerizing what people like her or Dimitri can do in the time it takes Anya to staple together a beach cover up.

Ha! It's funny because it's true. I definitely have to give Irina credit for her sewing skills (although now I'm hearing "This isn't Project Seamstess/America's Next Top Seamstress!" in my head). If this were original recipe PR, we'd be hearing, "I question her taste level."

No matter how hideously tacky that princess hooker dress was (hey, maybe she can work at Pnina Tornai!), the construction clearly took skill, as opposed to Anya's "I just draped this on the model and stuck a pin in it" dresses. Thank goodness Anya was on PR after glue guns were banned or half of her models would have ended up with burn marks as she glued them into their dresses seconds before hitting the runway.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I guess it depends on what kind of party is being thrown. I graduated from high school in the mid-90s and my parents threw me a semi-formal brunch party at a restaurant so I was in a nice dress, something akin on the formality scale to what Jasper designed. On the other hand, my friend's high school graduation party was much more casual and we were all in shorts and tanks/tees. I feel like the designers being told to design a spring/summer dress is specific enough so the designer could've made up some story (as Irina did) to justify what kind of graduation party they were envisioning their woman going to, whether it be casual or formal.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

my 'special occasion' test: pick something classic & timeless that you won't be embarrassed to see pictures of decades from now. (Mm... I still remember my college graduation dress... it was white textured cotton, sleeveless sheath with a little belt. Benetton, I think. It was $100 & I felt very fancy. If I could fit it---which I can't! Lol---I'd still wear it today.)

That's my test too, and for graduation that includes the shoes since that's the only part of the outfit you see peeking out from under the robe. One of my friends was going to wear these huge platform flip flops to her graduation back in the early 2000s ("because they're comfortable and I'll look taller!") and I said, "Do you want to look back in 20 years and see those very dated shoes with your graduation robe?"

17 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I've no doubt it's a thing elsewhere. It seems kind of strange at the high school level. 

Then again, our school's graduation ceremonies were held in the school gym on a Friday night. It got so hot that everyone was sweating and fanning themselves. Some might have gone the dress casual route, but many more kept it super casual. Otherwise, you'd die of heatstroke. Lol.

14 minutes ago, JenLily said:

I guess it depends on what kind of party is being thrown. I graduated from high school in the mid-90s and my parents threw me a semi-formal brunch party at a restaurant so I was in a nice dress, something akin on the formality scale to what Jasper designed. On the other hand, my friend's high school graduation party was much more casual and we were all in shorts and tanks/tees. I feel like the designers being told to design a spring/summer dress is specific enough so the designer could've made up some story (as Irina did) to justify what kind of graduation party they were envisioning their woman going to, whether it be casual or formal.

I think it definitely depends on what kind of party, the location, the weather, etc. which means that the designers had quite a bit of leeway to justify what they made. Even so, I still couldn't picture anyone wearing what some of the designers made. When I was in high school, most people had dinner at restaurants following the graduation ceremony and then a daytime graduation party at the house the following weekend (attended mostly by their family and neighbors - these weren't the drunken keggers you see in movies). No one really got dressed up for those parties. A lot of girls wore sundresses, but nothing fancy. Heh, the college graduation parties I attended were not the kind with cocktail dresses.

• Love 3

My random thoughts:

• The challenge itself was stupid. I've been a high school teacher for 22 years and have been to hundreds of graduations at several different schools in different states. I have never been at a school where kids were the school colors for their graduation dress or outfit. The tassels are it. Dumb.

• After the allstars season that Anthony Ryan won, I just hate him. I thought he was awful in that season and he kept winning every week and eventually one. he seems like a perfectly nice person but I just cannot stand anything he makes and I hate that the judges loved him for his horrible designs.

•I hate lace. Lace is itchy and ugly.

• By far my favorite was the first outfit that came out, Evan, the Canadian guy's. I thought it was soooo gorgeous.

• My second favorite dress was Sunny's, I love yellow and that dress was like a beautiful puffy yellow cloud. But I agree he needed to go, but I think they should have sent Anthony Ryan home too because he didn't follow the challenge either.

• I loathe Michelle. And her dress was ugly as hell.

•Irina's dress was absolutely perfect for your average slutty 5 year old prostitute.

I loved Anya's green & white dress. I would wear that dress all the time if I could. Bright, beautiful and comfortable. I also liked Django's maroon and yellow dress, the one that was different on both sides that most people seem to hate. I also thought that Cynthia's, the red and white dress was really cute.

• Dmitry is my imaginary boyfriend. He's my all-time, numero uno designer on project runway. He had a rare misstep. And I don't know why he gave himself those colors.

• Love 11

Did Sunny’s dress have a foundation fabric in addition to the tulle? I was thinking about the suggestions above about adding a blue layer, but realized tulle isn’t opaque and perhaps part of why he didn’t use the blue fabric he bought was because of the color blending into green. 

Anthony Ryan’s made me think of Sporty Spice. I know the filming dates make this “old” but not that old! 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

As a graduate of an orange and blue university (although not quite the orange and blue AR used), allow me to say no, just no.

Agreed. ;-) (...also SEC! SEC!)  Even the orange robes with blue trim they make us wear as ushers for the grad ceremony aren't that fug. I never would've pegged that as a Top 3 instead of a Bottom 3, but now that y'all have reminded me of Isaac's irrational lurve for Anthony Ryan, it makes more sense.  How did no one choose a print that incorporated both colors? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Love 4

Well crap. Sunny was one of the most talented designers, he was no drama, and he was respectful and helpful to the other designers. ...So I guess he had to go. Yeah, I know he snubbed the challenge, but they've found their way around that in order to keep someone before and several of those looks were just hideous. I want to see beautiful creative clothes and Sunny would have brought it.  

• Love 17
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Well crap. Sunny was one of the most talented designers, he was no drama, and he was respectful and helpful to the other designers. ...So I guess he had to go. Yeah, I know he snubbed the challenge, but they've found their way around that in order to keep someone before and several of those looks were just hideous. I want to see beautiful creative clothes and Sunny would have brought it.  

I'm still upset.  I feel like I've been waiting years for PR or PR All Stars to return, I really liked Sunny, and then Bam!  He's gone.

• Love 3

I really wish Sunny had included some blue because Irina deserved to be kicked off this season and have her previous win reversed after the embarrassing thing she put down the runway. I seriously think that’s got to be one of the worst I’ve seen.

really surprised Evans swoopy dress didn’t make the top. I liked it and Seth Aaron’s. Although there was a lot of mediocre stuff in this runway.

hated Sean’s and I’m disapponted we have to see his stupid fringe every damn week.

lastly, I knew as soon as Anthony Ryan was in the top that Isaac would make sure his boy toy would win. He’s so transparent. It’s ridiculous. 

• Love 6
On 1/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, Katherine Kegel said:

i am really curious about the Indian school.  I know that the thing with JCP is no longer happening, but what about the donation to the school?  Did they auction it off a long time ago (which would have been dumb, because no one would have known to look for it and it wouldn’t have made any money)?  Or are we to believe they’ve held onto it for 2 years (unlikely)?  Or is the school just SOL at this point?  If they are still going to sell it it’s really a bummer Seth Aaron didn’t win.  I could see a lot of people wanting/wearing/ bidding on his dress.  Not so much that itchy orange and blue lace non-dress.  Either way it seems like he school got screwed on this one.  

I am wondering what happened with them too. I really hope Lifetime makes a sizable donation because if not, that’s really shitty. I think they need to address this and how they are compensating these designers for the wins as well because it sucks for them too....

i cannot believe AR won when he didn’t fulfill the brief any more than the guy they sent home. That was not a dress! 

I question whether any of these people have been to a graduation party. The only ones that completely fit the brief to me were the tall Canadian guy, Seth Aaron and guy with the strapless blue and white dress with the shrug. Everything else was ridiculous to me.  Apologies for not knowing names yet.....

Isaac was giving me classic Michael Kors bitchiness vibes when he said “When I graduated from Prostitute School”.......I loved it! More of that please!

Anne is a useless mentor, especially since she is apparently blind - that is only excuse I can find for her horrendous blouse in the work room....

I hate the double down on guest judges - do they really require FIVE people to debate this nonsense, especially since it really only matters what Isaac and Georgina (and some unseen producers) think?

i really wish they had picked all international winners for this show. Too many one-way monkeys in the Americans we have seen a million times already.....

• Love 6

I had to laugh at Michelle's comment about her green/yellow assignment being the worst ever.  After Dimitri gave those colors to Michelle, she asked if he hated her.  Michelle comes from my state, Oregon, home of the overly-Nike-promoted University of Oregon Ducks with their ubiquitous green/yellow school colors.  Nike owner and Oregon alum, Phil Knight, gives obscene amounts of money to the Ducks each year so he gets to be a de-facto coach--and fashion director for the Ducks. 

When the Duck's football team sat at the top not long ago, Nike made a big deal of the unveiling of their uniforms each week; we're talking entirely new and original pieces every game.  It grew weirder and weirder over time.  Eventually Nike got too carried away one week with a Lewis and Clark theme using colors of an entirely different Pac-12 team.  (Perhaps even Nike was putting a finger up to the horrible green/yellow combination?)  Very confusing to watch that game on TV.  After that--and a precipitous drop in Duck football success--the football fashion nonsense thankfully ended for the most part.   

Last week's Michelle explained that her international ancestry is "Portland--Pacific Northwest."  Perhaps she is like me, an alum of the Duck's rivals, Oregon State.  Our orange/black colors isn't as exciting or controversial, but it does inspire excellent wear come Halloween.  

• Love 2

I completely misunderstood the challenge. I thought the dresses were to be for high school girls since the charity involved kids graduating from high school. Most of the outfits seemed like something for people who graduated from fashion school because at least you could then say outrageous made sense. Outside of Sunny’s outfit and the little white dress, I could not see anything being worn by someone with taste or who just graduated and is going into a career where your reputation is important. Irina’s dress was just trashy and something you wear when stumbling drink out of a bar after throwing a drink at someone you thought was flirting with your man. 

I have to question the taste level of most of these designers. I feel like some of them seem to think every challenge is just a toned down avant-garde challenge. I wonder if they are allowed to ask questions to clarified challenges. 

• Love 4