Type keyword(s) to search

S07.02: Top of the Class

• Start Topic

My Dish DVR wasn't picking up tonight's episode as new so if you get a chance, I would check your DVRs. (It's odd too, since it normally picks up EVERYTHING as new (like the repeat episode and then the 5 minute recaps and all that fluff that normally comes with this show)).

Edited by BookThief
)). not ).
  • Love 2

Do people really wear graduation dresses in their school colors?  Seems like that’s not a thing, lol.

I would never take fashion advice from someone wearing the shirt that Anne had on for her mentor session.  She’s a little old to pull off Swiss Miss—as is anyone over the age of 5.

Talk about a one-way monkey, I wasn’t a fan of Sean’s fringe fanaticism on his season but I was willing to give him the chance to show he can do something (anything) else. 

Is it editing or does Michelle seem to have an irrational dislike of Irina?  Caustic comments about her dress for the second week in a row make it seem like there’s something deeper going on there.  Not that I loved Irina’s look (and other designers commented as well) but Michelle just came across as particularly nasty. 

Loved Evan’s look! Cynthia’s was also super cute and very appropriate for the challenge.  (So naturally they're both "safe" but not in the top.  Clearly I have zero in common with the judging panel.  I thought Sean's looked like a craft project and Seth Aaron's was boring.  Of course Issac loved Anthony Ryan's--I hated it, and not just the colors.  Crop tops are just not exciting and lace pants seem like they'd itch.  

Dimitri can’t be blamed for the McDonald’s coloring he chose, but the silhouette was right out of the ‘80s.

Edited by leocadia
  • Love 12

Anthony Ryan's look would have killed for JCP with those girls from that hard core football college with those colors. Don't remember  the school name but that color combo is familiar. 

Love that Seth Aaron and Dimitri seem to be friends. When SA held his hand out behind him for a high five from Dimitri.

Totally agree with Dimitri about Sean and his fringe.  I hated it when he was on last. And I hated his look tonight. 

Edited by notcreative enough
  • Love 11

The orange and blue are University of Illinois and Chicago Bears colors, my home state. Doesn’t mean I have to like them (I don’t). And I didn’t like Anthony’s Design either. Funny how the judges criticized two of the designers for looking matronly, which I didn’t agree with because of the low slit in the front. But Anthony’s outfit looked too teenager, like something a Spice girl would have worn in the 90’s.

I agree with Sonny going home, cute dress, but he didn’t follow the rules and sticking a blue brooch on the back of the dress was dumb, can’t believe he thought he would get away with doing that. 

Alyssa looked very nice in the dress she was wearing. I’ve always thought Marchesa dresses were beautiful. 

• Love 9

I was hard pressed to decide whether Sunny’s choice to disregard the challenge but produce a really pretty dress was worse than Irina thinking a cootchie-flashing, cheap mess (quince-hooker was right on) was an appropriate look for a graduation. Also felt Seth Aaron’s look was better than Anthony Ryan’s but since JCP has to reproduce them wonder if they take cost to manufacture in volume into account?

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Fen Tiger said:

Also felt Seth Aaron’s look was better than Anthony Ryan’s but since JCP has to reproduce them wonder if they take cost to manufacture in volume into account?

I had a similar thought, but not about cost. They said the jcp.com dress would be "inspired by" the winning look, so they could do a cheap copy of anything. But I'm wondering if the judging is pushed more toward choosing a design in a style that's more everyday so that normal jcp.com people will buy it. Because that's kind of the opposite of what the show is about, for me, anyway.

I really do like Anthony Ryan, but he's been awful so far this season. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, based on what was said, JCP was only going to produce an IDEA of the winning garments, not a literal interpretation. Of course, now we'll never know.

Yeah, I just looked and saw that JCP actually won't be doing that, so I guess the weird judging is just weird judging.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Real4real said:

JCP will produce a blue hoodie with orange drawstrings ‘inspired by Project Runway Allstars’ —coming soon to a mall near you!!

And it's just an old Bears hoodie from the clearance rack that they tore the branding off of.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, leocadia said:

Is it editing or does Michelle seem to have an irrational dislike of Irina?  Caustic comments about her dress for the second week in a row make it seem like there’s something deeper going on there.  Not that I loved Irina’s look (and other designers commented as well) but Michelle just came across as particularly nasty. 

One thing I really like about the international designers -- the Australians, in particular -- is that they seem not to have the bitchy/mean girl gene that afflicts so many of the Americans who have appeared on this show over the years.

Had to laugh at Georgina's "finger-up" demonstration.

1 hour ago, Real4real said:

JCP will produce a blue hoodie with orange drawstrings ‘inspired by Project Runway Allstars’ —coming soon to a mall near you!!

JCP isn't producing any of these looks.   In the thread for last week's episode it was explained that JCP's arrangement with PR lapsed some time ago, as these episodes were actually produced in the summer of 2017.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, leocadia said:

Do people really wear graduation dresses in their school colors?  Seems like that’s not a thing, lol.

I would never take fashion advice from someone wearing the shirt that Anne had on for her mentor session.  She’s a little old to pull off Swiss Miss—as is anyone over the age of 5.

Talk about a one-way monkey, I wasn’t a fan of Sean’s fringe fanaticism on his season but I was willing to give him the chance to show he can do something (anything) else. 

Loved Evan’s look! Cynthia’s was also super cute and very appropriate for the challenge.  (So naturally they're both "safe" but not in the top.  Clearly I have zero in common with the judging panel.  I thought Sean's looked like a craft project and Seth Aaron's was boring.  Of course Issac loved Anthony Ryan's--I hated it, and not just the colors.  Crop tops are just not exciting and lace pants seem like they'd itch.  

Dimitri can’t be blamed for the McDonald’s coloring he chose, but the silhouette was right out of the ‘80s.

I’m mad about Dmitry...he’s right up there with Christian Siriano in my “Favorite PR Contestants Ever!” book...but he can absolutely be blamed for that ketchup-and-mustard color palette, because he chose everyone’s color tassels.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Anthony’s outfit looked too teenager, like something a Spice girl would have worn in the 90’s.

I agree, I didn't like it at all. Irina should have gone home for that hot mess she sewed, I kept expecting the model to break out singing "Let It Go" & a big sheet of ice to appear on the runway.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Anthony Ryan's look would have killed for JCP with those girls from that hard core football college with those colors. Don't remember  the school name but that color combo is familiar.

4 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

The orange and blue are University of Illinois and Chicago Bears colors,

Auburn, Florida, & Boise State, too.  

• Love 3

I really don’t like contestants, on any show, that don’t follow the challenge... imagine if they had all sewn a dress of one colour with just a bought brooch of the other colour pinned on somewhere?! Unfortunately, I would have liked to see more from Sonny.

How do Anthony Ryan’s pants fit into the ‘graduation DRESS challenge’ parameters?

PS: Australia usually has green and gold for its it’s national and international sporting colours (gum trees and wattle bush flowers) which I loathe with the heat of a thousand suns....you just can’t make those colours look good together 🤣. My school had purple and gold.... which, while a difficult and not particularly attractive combination, I have a strange affection for! 

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ha, the death glare that Dmitry gave to Sean when he started talking about using tassels in this challenge was hilarious.

What in the holy hell was Anne wearing in the workroom? That top was so fug. When she told Christina that her design was too busy, all I could think was uh, have you taken a look at all the crap that's going on with your own shirt?

While I understand the way the graduation tassels and the colors related to the challenge, but I felt bad because some of those color combinations were so much better than others.

I didn't love the lace overlay, but I liked the swoopy infinity design of Evan's red and white dress.

Anya's green and white striped outfit did not look like something that anyone would wear to a graduation celebration. First of all, who would wear a fabric reminiscent of a picnic tent to a graduation party? Secondly, that wasn't a dress. That was a robe with shorts. I thought it looked too casual but also a little too bare for something that a graduate would be wearing in front of their grandparents.

Dmitry found a way to use both red and gold without the usual color blocking that we've seen ad nauseum, but once Anne said that it looked like an Olympic ice skating costume, I couldn't unsee that.

Jasper's white and blue dress was cute but not innovative. I liked the white cut out fabric he put on top of the blue though.

Django's burgundy and gold dress was hideous. The red fabric just looked tacked on top of a poorly made and ill fitting gold dress. I have no idea how that wasn't in the bottom.

I did not like Sean's white dress with the purple tassles sparsely interspersed. It looked way too lazy. I had to laugh when Isaac said the dress looked matronly and Georgina said, "Would a mother wear a dress cut down to there?" It might seem like a fair question to ask if a mother would wear a dress with a plunging neckline that stopped just short of her navel, but Georgina WHO IS A MOTHER was wearing a dress with a similar neckline. Oh, sorry, you were talking about OLD mothers, not, say a 42 year old mother like Georgina Chapman.

Cynthia's white and orange dress was cute but I wish the bow had been in the white fabric so that you could see it better. From a distance, it just looked lumpy where the bow was. Other than that, I thought it was a cute dress that fulfilled the challenge.

Sunny's layered yellow tulle dress was pretty but it dd not fulfill the challenge with the blue flower brooch on the back. That shade of yellow was giving me Beauty and the Beast vibes.

Irina's model looked like she was wearing a dress from Toddlers and Tiaras. It looked like a pageant dress made for a child, complete with the lace appliques. And man was there a lot of boob showing. I think the judges were being generous when they said the problem was the cheap looking fabric. That certainly didn't help matters, but using another fabric would not have taken away from the fairy princess hooker design. That was all Irina.

Christina's red and navy dress was a nice use of the two colors together, but I had to agree with Anne about it looking like a fall/winter dress due to the long sleeves. Isaac's assessment that the red top and the blue skirt seemed like they were from two different outfits was spot on.

I didn't like anything about Michelle's yellow and green dress. I didn't like the silhouette, the see through parts, or the shade of green she chose.

It did not bode well when Julie asked if they were allowed to sew their models into their dresses. Girl, sew your ass off now and hopefully you won't have to resort to sewing your model into your dress! Her purple dress with the yellow lace peeking out from the skirt was fun but it looked more like a cocktail party dress.

Seth Aaron's wine red and white dress was a great design for this challenge. I liked the big open floral crochet type overlay he used.

I'm glad that Anthony Ryan decided to take Anne's advice and embrace the orange. I thought the assignment was to design a summer dress, not a summer outfit. I even went back and rewatched the beginning of the episode to see exactly what the challenge was. Georgina said, "We want you to design a spring or summer DRESS for a graduation party and we want your looks to be sophisticated but appropriate for a celebration." For that reason, I think Anthony Ryan failed this challenge as much as Sonny did and shouldn't have won. Between the two looks, I liked Sonny's a lot more and I found it more appropriate for a graduation party.

Oh, Alyssa, do not let the hair people talk you into slicking your hair back again.

Georgina's makeup person needs to lay off the blush. Good lord.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Christina's red and navy dress was a nice use of the two colors together, but I had to agree with Anne about it looking like a fall/winter dress due to the long sleeves.

She should have said that in Australia, graduation IS in the fall.

• Love 22

I don't think it's just Irina.  If memory serves me, Michelle always had obnoxiously negative things to say about all sorts of designers and her season of PR majorly overused her as a constant talking head who they had to show commenting on everything to the point I wanted her off, off, off my tv screen no matter how good or bad a designer she was.  That was the period when PR was seriously bogged down in badly planned team seasons and such and emphasized the personal drama and cattiness to such obnoxious levels it felt much more like "Project Personality" for awhile, and I remember Michelle playing right along with this.  Michelle might be thinking she'll again get more airtime than everybody else if she plays the villain, but I seriously hope that this time the editors trust all the contestants' talent over the manufactured drama and don't bite.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Django's burgundy and gold dress was hideous. The red fabric just looked tacked on top of a poorly made and ill fitting gold dress. I have no idea how that wasn't in the bottom.

I thought it looked like a gold foil fast food wrapper with some leftover ketchup on one side. 

Seth Aaron is getting pretty full of himself. I wouldn’t mind seeing him brought down a notch. 

• Love 12

I really hate the visual editing of All Stars. Runway is all quick cuts from dress to designers. We don’t need to see the designers faces multiple times when the dress is walking. Here to see the garment. Even when Alyssa is talking it’s cut, cut , cut. Can’t get a clear look at anything. Maybe I need a bigger tv. 

• Love 9

Seth Aaron is getting pretty full of himself. I wouldn’t mind seeing him brought down a notch.

He's been designing forever, it seems like, and I tend to like almost everything he does, so I'll agree to disagree with you. That being said, I kind of snorted when he was touting his relationship with QVC.

Also, I liked the first dress he made so much better than the second, and I wish he'd sent that one down the runway so I could have seen more of it.

Edited by Shenanigan
  • Love 9

Has anyone here watched the handmaid's tale. Georgina reminds me of serena joy possibly aunt Lydia. 

There's something deeply uncomfortable and wrong about her observations and thoughts on women/mothers and what they should wear. And then when you add in her complicity in the Harvey weinstein situation.... 

• Love 5

they never said what kind of graduation.  Around here they have 8th grade Graduation which is as big a deal as High School.  I immediately thought high school, not college. Maybe it was because I didn't have or know anyone who had a college graduation party that involved families and dresses.  There are still too many people and I can't keep them all straight.  Knowing that it was filmed in 2017 and we are in 2019 just takes something away from the whole thing.

• Love 7

Since they were not specific where a person was graduating, I can see Anthony's look being popular. The styling this season will remain tacky because the accessory wall is tacky. No offense to JCP shoppers but the place is not known for high end fashion. I think earlier seasons of PW was designers over the years the show is more "talent" if that make sense. I can't see anyone from this group being the next great name in design.

11 hours ago, Refresh said:

I hated Sean's look. The purple dangly bits were reminiscent of pasties.

Especially the two he put right at the end of the model's breasts.   Talk about lack of taste.

I liked Sunny's (Sonny?) dress a lot.  Certainly lots more than Anthony Ryan's non-dress with the crop top that he always makes.  The one that somehow sticks out from the model's body in the front.  People complain about Anya always making the same thing - most of them do.

Dmitry really doesn't like Sean.

• Love 13

I get that Sean made those purple dangly things and that they were time-intensive and all, but I don't really care if he plucked individual feathers and beaded them and hand-stitched them on. They read as cheap on TV and this is a televised design show. I wish they'd take that into account. So many times the top three dresses are praised for something that can barely be detected on TV.

• Love 13

I hated Sean’s dress.  It was ill fitting and it looked like my dad spilled his tackle box on a white sheet.  

i am really curious about the Indian school.  I know that the thing with JCP is no longer happening, but what about the donation to the school?  Did they auction it off a long time ago (which would have been dumb, because no one would have known to look for it and it wouldn’t have made any money)?  Or are we to believe they’ve held onto it for 2 years (unlikely)?  Or is the school just SOL at this point?  If they are still going to sell it it’s really a bummer Seth Aaron didn’t win.  I could see a lot of people wanting/wearing/ bidding on his dress.  Not so much that itchy orange and blue lace non-dress.  Either way it seems like he school got screwed on this one.  

• Love 16

First of all, while I'm in favor of girl's getting educations, why are all these charities giving money to India, from whence come the H1Bs that edge out American workers?  India can afford to educate its own children -- how about giving to a more deserving country?

14 hours ago, Fen Tiger said:

I was hard pressed to decide whether Sunny’s choice to disregard the challenge but produce a really pretty dress was worse than Irina thinking a cootchie-flashing, cheap mess (quince-hooker was right on) was an appropriate look for a graduation. 

12 hours ago, Refresh said:

I understand why Sonny was eliminated but I recall other instances in PR history where someone took a different interpretation of the challenge and didn't get let go.

Sonny didn't offer a "different interpretation" to the challenge; he gave it a "finger up".  If he had been kept on, the designers could legitimately ignore any rules as long as they made a good dress. No, he had to go.

13 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I actually liked the ice-blue Barbie Graduates from Hooker School dress; it read "Par-TAY!"

I liked Irina's but it should have been a few inches longer.

I actually have no idea what a graduation party looks like and what kind of dress (or outfit) would be appropriate for one, but Irina's dress was inappropriate in any situation. The bottom was too short and the top was way too small and revealing. Many other dresses had much nicer cleavage openings (not sure what is the proper way to describe that), which left a lot to the imagination. 

I liked Evan's dress, I thought is was quite dramatic and interesting, but the fabric looked like wall-covering from the Victorian era.

Not sure what Dmitry was thinking when he picked that color combination for himself, but the result was very disappointing.

None of the designers really wowed me this week, and I think there are too many of them. Do we know how many episodes there will be in the season?

• Love 2

I'd love it if someone stood up to georgina once and for all and told her where to stick it. I used to like a lot the first few seasons because I thought she was genuinely lovely and the nice judge. Ally to women but she's the opposite. Like I said before anti feminist and so critical of certain types of women aka non skinny/glam/made up/young. And what they can or cannot wear. 

I think some of those truly unfortunate color combinations could have worked better with a color-blocked dress.  There was way too much lace on that runway.

Edited by Gloriosa
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, leocadia said:

Of course Issac loved Anthony Ryan's--I hated it, and not just the colors.  Crop tops are just not exciting and lace pants seem like they'd itch.  

Have a look at some items that IM will put his name on, for what I'm sure is considerable compensation.  Granted, he sold the product line several years ago, but if he has even a modicum of input, he likes lace.   isaac+mizrahi

14 hours ago, Refresh said:

I understand why Sonny was eliminated but I recall other instances in PR history where someone took a different interpretation of the challenge and didn't get let go. Maybe he didn't defend it very well?

I think partially it's because he didn't have much of a defense but mostly because his advancing didn't fit the narrative they have for the season.  I guarantee if one of the "chosen" ones had done the same dress they would have been praised and possibly even given the win.  As mentioned above, Anthony Ryan didn't make a dress as was defined in the challenge and the judges chose to ignore that fact.  I can't think of any specific instances (although both Erin and Ashley come to mind) where this has happened, but it has surely been seen in other seasons.  Sometimes they choose the "fashion" over the challenge.  It's very frustrating, especially when people you like are eliminated and people you don't particularly care for are given a pass.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Australia#4 got ripped for being matronly and staid, but I'd like to remind the judges that not all graduates are breathless 18yo party girls. Some are mature women completing advanced degrees, or completing a delayed degree. Suck it, judges.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I was envisioning it on someone finishing their PhD, and having a cocktail party to celebrate.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Shenanigan said:

That being said, I kind of snorted when he was touting his relationship with QVC.

Further proof of the whiskers on this season, Dmitri's QVC "relationship" is now predictably, a finalized divorce.  There is one, deeply discounted garment remaining on their website.  

3 hours ago, Katherine Kegel said:

It was ill fitting and it looked like my dad spilled his tackle box on a white sheet.

Yes, yes, and yes. It would have only been rehabilitated imo, if the dress would have had hundreds more fishing lures hanging off of it.  Even then, it might have still stunk.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GaT said:

I agree, I didn't like it at all. Irina should have gone home for that hot mess she sewed, I kept expecting the model to break out singing "Let It Go" & a big sheet of ice to appear on the runway.

I thought Irina's choice of model was unfortunate.  Her fake boobs cheapened the dress even more.  

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Payal90 said:

Also another thing. Georgina was also doing the all lives matter bs on Instagram also. God I hate her! 

Eww.  I loved how she was claiming a mother's dress wouldn't have a neckline so deep, meanwhile her own dress had a deep neckline and she's a mother.  I guess in her mind she was thinking of regular looking mothers.  

• Love 5