Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Tallulah7606

Worst casting choice?

I’ve been watching reruns from the beginning, and one thing that is really bugging me is how everyone is constantly referring to Izzie as ‘beautiful’ ‘stunning’ ‘gorgeous” ‘stacked’ ‘super hot’ ‘supermodel’. Even Izzie herself consistently refers to herself as a pretty girl or hot. I just don’t think Katherine Heigl is attractive enough to justify this in the role, she’s pretty sure, but she’s not ‘stunning’ and she’s in no way the most attractive female cast member. She’s also pretty terrible at crying on demand, I just think she was badly cast in the first place. 

Also Amelia, they did so well with the other two Shepherd sisters that came into the show (Neve Campbell in particular) but I just don’t think Caterina Scorsone is believable as such a highly skilled neurosurgeon. There was massive potential for the role, but once again Shondas love for a particular actor/actress has been to the detriment of the show 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tallulah7606 said:

I’ve been watching reruns from the beginning, and one thing that is really bugging me is how everyone is constantly referring to Izzie as ‘beautiful’ ‘stunning’ ‘gorgeous” ‘stacked’ ‘super hot’ ‘supermodel’. Even Izzie herself consistently refers to herself as a pretty girl or hot. I just don’t think Katherine Heigl is attractive enough to justify this in the role, she’s pretty sure, but she’s not ‘stunning’ and she’s in no way the most attractive female cast member. She’s also pretty terrible at crying on demand, I just think she was badly cast in the first place. 

Who is/was the most attractive female cast member in your opinion?

42 minutes ago, GSMHvisitor said:

Who is/was the most attractive female cast member in your opinion?

In the first couple of seasons Meredith was far more attractive, and Addison. It’s not that I don’t think Izzie is attractive, she just doesn’t have that ‘wow’ factor they’re clearly pushing for. They went on and on about her looks far too much as if she were some sort of goddess. 

• Like 4

I joined just so I could say PENNY! obviously I don’t like Penny because of Derek, but I don’t think the actress was the right choice. She’s not strong or sassy enough to be matched with Callie. 

• Like 10

Camilla doesn't believably pull off "street kid" imo

• Like 16

I like Catarina fine as Amelia, although I think they cast her partly because of her strong resemblance to PD.

greys_anatomy_caterina_scorsone_patrick_

• Like 5

I wish that they were able to figure out keeping Bridget Regan as Owen's sister from Season 13 Instead of Abigail Spencer.... I love her character in Suits (Spencer's).

But that initial encounter as Bridget as his sister was just an absolute amazing performance.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, djlittlehorse said:

I wish that they were able to figure out keeping Bridget Regan as Owen's sister

Yes! I thought this too, she was far more likeable

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 1:53 AM, Addy83 said:

I joined just so I could say PENNY! obviously I don’t like Penny because of Derek, but I don’t think the actress was the right choice. She’s not strong or sassy enough to be matched with Callie. 

This times 100.

• Like 7

Marika Dominczyk was terrible as Eliza Minnick. I assume we were supposed to dislike Minnick because of her abrasive approach, but eventually start to see that she might have a point about the poor teaching practices at GSMH. But the acting was just so bad that the character wasn't even a little bit believable. It was like watching an overwrought high school production. And the worst part is that she was only cast because Shonda Rhimes is sooooo in love in Scott Foley.

• Like 15

I’ve been watching reruns from the beginning, and one thing that is really bugging me is how everyone is constantly referring to Izzie as ‘beautiful’ ‘stunning’ ‘gorgeous” ‘stacked’ ‘super hot’ ‘supermodel’. Even Izzie herself consistently refers to herself as a pretty girl or hot. I just don’t think Katherine Heigl is attractive enough to justify this in the role, she’s pretty sure, but she’s not ‘stunning’ and she’s in no way the most attractive female cast member

She was supposed to have been an underwear model and made enough to pay for med school....and in the pictures that Alex (in his evil spawn persona) posted all over the locker room, she was definitely able to pull that off and, let's face it, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, she was the only cast member that could have played that part of the role!.

As far as prettiest, it would be hard to top Addison in her first appearance where  Meredith finds out that McDreamy is still married.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:53 AM, Addy83 said:

so true!

• Like 1

It's tie for me between Penny, and Minnick.    Minnick kills a little kid with her teaching method, and everyone rallies around her and forgets the poor little kid.    Penny had zero chemistry with anyone, let alone Callie.     

• Like 5

On 1/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, Tallulah7606 said:

Also Amelia, they did so well with the other two Shepherd sisters that came into the show (Neve Campbell in particular) but I just don’t think Caterina Scorsone is believable as such a highly skilled neurosurgeon. There was massive potential for the role, but once again Shondas love for a particular actor/actress has been to the detriment of the show 

A lot of people base beauty on features alone. Blonde, slim, young doesn't always mean beautiful though. I would say Katherine, back then at least was in the hot leagues though. This show has always lacked good looking women though. In fact, asides from her there haven't been any. So perhaps it is one of those things where the pretty girl next door becomes the hot chick due to a lack of competition?

I've never bought the guy who plays Karev as a doctor. He just doesn't look like one. I know things don't work like that in real life and doctors can look like anything or anyone. But this is TV and to me he looks more blue collar to me. 

Then again, I am just sometimes suffer through the show because my wife watches it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I've never bought the guy who plays Karev as a doctor. He just doesn't look like one. I know things don't work like that in real life and doctors can look like anything or anyone. But this is TV and to me he looks more blue collar to me. 

My dad thought the doctor who gave him his cortisone shot was initially there to empty the trash. He had a two-day beard and was wearing a track suit.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

3 hours ago, Morlock said:

This show has always lacked good looking women though. In fact, asides from her there haven't been any. 

You don't think Jessica Capshaw, Sara Ramirez, Jerrika Hinton, Sarah Drew, Chyler Leigh, Caterina Scorsone or Kate Walsh are good looking women?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Layne said:

You don't think Jessica Capshaw, Sara Ramirez, Jerrika Hinton, Sarah Drew, Chyler Leigh, Caterina Scorsone or Kate Walsh are good looking women?

Maybe Jessica but I don't think much of the rest. They all look like women who other straight women find attractive. Nothing much for men to get excited about though. 

• Like 2

It's true that this show has always had a lot more male eye candy. Of all the female regulars, I'd say that only Jessica Capshaw, Kate Walsh and Kim Raver are conventionally attractive. Katherine Heigl too, I guess, but IMO not as much as these three. She was clearly the hottest of the originals, though.

That's not to say that the other ladies on the show aren't attractive in their own right. Well, the majority of them, as I don't think some of them are at all, but I'll keep it to myself, and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. And of course, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Edited by Joana

1 hour ago, Joana said:

It's true that this show has always had a lot more male eye candy. Of all the female regulars, I'd say that only Jessica Capshaw, Kate Walsh and Kim Raver are conventionally attractive. Katherine Heigl too, I guess, but IMO not as much as these three. She was clearly the hottest of the originals, though.

That's not to say that the other ladies on the show aren't attractive in their own right. Well, the majority of them, as I don't think some of them are at all, but I'll keep it to myself, and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. And of course, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Going by your name you sound female? It is interesting because as per my previous post what straight women think is attractive in women is very different to what straight men find attractive in women. 

Heigl was by far the most attractive woman in this show. Of course it is a matter of opinion but also interesting in respect to who is providing the opinion as per my first paragraph. I don't find Raver attractive at all, or Kate Walsh and Capshaw is ok but overall Heigl is the only bona fide hottie in my book to ever have been on the show. 

As you say it doesn't really matter per se but still interesting to discuss. For example many women would consider Julia Roberts attractive and yet she wouldn't even rate as a blip on most men's radar. 

• Like 2

They are all far more attractive when dressed up for events than when they are in scrubs, with little if any make-up and hair pulled back, which is the realistic way that a doctor would be dressed while in the hospital...or is realistic for surgeons I have seen recently. For example, as I said above, Kate Walsh/Addison is beyond stunning when she makes her first appearance....as she is chasing down Derek and announcing that "you must be the woman screwing my husband". And Izzie is a knockout in the famous pink dress before Denny D dies.

And if you are going to "analyze" female cast members, it would be hard to leave out Camilla Luddington who is "conventionally attractive" by any standard!

4 hours ago, Joana said:

Of all the female regulars, I'd say that only Jessica Capshaw, Kate Walsh and Kim Raver are conventionally attractive. Katherine Heigl too, I guess, but IMO not as much as these three. She was clearly the hottest of the originals, though.

You think Kim Raver is more conventionally attractive than Katherine Heigl...?

• Like 8

Well I’m a straight woman and I think Jessica Capshaw and Chyler Leigh are head and shoulders above Heigl in the ‘hot’ stakes. I think Heigl is quite bland looking, round face, no stand out features and bent teeth in the first few series. I also think Christina, with her personality and attitude  is far more attractive than Heigl. 

• Like 2

After watching the second half of series 15 so far, I want to revise my opinion of Amelia. She’s so much better now! Far less irritating, and actually funny! I loved the episode where she and Link were at the pain relief convention. I’d also like to add Erica Hahn to my list, I’m sure the actress is great in other roles, but as Hahn she just didn’t work 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 1:53 AM, Addy83 said:

I think she was perfect for the Mer's mentee role, and even her dynamic with the other residents, but not for Callie's new gf. I have to wonder why they bothered including lines about how fun and exciting Penny is when they already knew the actress wasn't beaming with energy and they had a whole arc planned for her to "find her voice". I felt like they were trying to gaslight the audience into believing the character was more exuberant than she was.

• Like 4

Maggie is one of the worst. I feel like if she was a different better actress I wouldn’t hate her so much. This actress talks like a baby and acts like one too. She actually almost ruins the show for me.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Marley said:

Maggie is one of the worst. I feel like if she was a different better actress I wouldn’t hate her so much. This actress talks like a baby and acts like one too. She actually almost ruins the show for me.

Oh yes, even after all this writing and forcing of her "hard life" I still just can't get on her side. I know it's more of the writing, but there are actors that can still turn crap writing into gold. The reason why Maggie is so bad is because they constantly write her as someone who STILL has not emotionally grown up. You can only throw the crap about her going to med school at 16 so much before everyone is: "oh just grow up!"

• Like 4

I hated the actress who played Penny, though I also hated the character, so it's hard to say whether I think the casting was bad or the character herself was bad.

Agree about the actress who played Minnick, and while I like Constance Zimmer as an actress, I thoroughly disliked her on Grey's. But again, that could be a matter of disliking the characters so much that it carried over to the performer.

And the actor who plays Nico. I just don't buy him as an ortho god, and he has zero chemistry with Glasses. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Artymouse said:

And the actor who plays Nico. I just don't buy him as an ortho god, and he has zero chemistry with Glasses. 

Glasses has zero chemistry with anyone! I can’t stand him, I’m not keen on any of the new interns except Casey-who is massively under-utilised! 90% of the time he’s in the background being the token transgender person, but when they actually give him storylines I love him 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Tallulah7606 said:

Glasses has zero chemistry with anyone! I can’t stand him, I’m not keen on any of the new interns except Casey-who is massively under-utilised! 90% of the time he’s in the background being the token transgender person, but when they actually give him storylines I love him 

Yeah, Schmitt was not only bad casing, but the writing for him is worst than Maggie. "Oh, I'm a doctor, but I pass out when I see TOO much blood." "I'm getting to 30, and now I realize that I'm gay, good for me!" "Why doesn't my boyfriend, or when I had sex with women, no one wants to worry about my feelings?" Oh stop!

• Like 3

On 5/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, Artymouse said:

Agree about the actress who played Minnick, and while I like Constance Zimmer as an actress, I thoroughly disliked her on Grey's. But again, that could be a matter of disliking the characters so much that it carried over to the performer.

Minnick was played by Marika Domińczyk. She is Scott Foley's (Henry) real life wife.

Minnick was played by Marika Domińczyk. She is Scott Foley's (Henry) real life wife.

She is is his series Whiskey Cavalier too and while she has a nice presence and is very pretty, she is not a very good actress!

Edited by AriAu