Type keyword(s) to search

Derry Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just finished watching it on Netflix. I don’t think the last season was as good as the first two either. And why did they have to go there with killing off Claire’s dad? I loved sister Michael and it was so sad thinking she was going to be moving out of a place where she felt like she was doing some good. I really hate that about the Catholic Church how they move around priests and nuns just when you’re starting to get used to them. Really should have spent the last 5 minutes on an update of what they are doing now. I feel really let down. What the hell? That would’ve been perfect.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Just finished watching it on Netflix. I don’t think the last season was as good as the first two either. And why did they have to go there with killing off Claire’s dad? I loved sister Michael and it was so sad thinking she was going to be moving out of a place where she felt like she was doing some good. I really hate that about the Catholic Church how they move around priests and nuns just when you’re starting to get used to them. Really should have spent the last 5 minutes on an update of what they are doing now. I feel really let down. What the hell? That would’ve been perfect.

It wasn't as good but I was happy to be able to watch it. I think there was an awful lot more sadness in it. Sister Michael (yes that does such that the Catholic church does that and I'm Catholic), Claire's dad......  I would have enjoyed an update, but that leaves it open for more. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I also would have liked some sort of resolution on James and Erin and I agree, I hate how they treated him as well. When they showed the Present Day slide I thought for a second we were going to see the girls as adults.

My favorite part of this whole season was Colm talking/boring Liam Neeson to death. I also loved Sister Michael turning up in a Delorean and telling the girls they were in the wrong house. 

How many rooms are there in Erin's house? With Eamon moving in they must have been sleeping on top of each other. 

I love Gerry's straight man to everyone's crazy. 

I agree where is everyone sleeping? I assume they have 3 bedrooms maybe 4. 

Guess I’m in the minority. I really liked season 3 and appreciated why they didn’t do a “where are they now” segment. As much as I loved the characters and have fun imagining what might be, this show was about them entering and being ready (or not) for adulthood, tackling late teen problems with the abandon and hardheadedness of their late teens. That’s why these characters were so real for me: despite the wacky circumstances they got into, they seemed like real kids - kids I might have actually known when I was their age. I’m sure Lisa McGee has a great sense of what each are doing now, but I enjoy my own imaginations of them. And really, to me, that’s what matters.

• Like 3
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, MaggieG said:

How many rooms are there in Erin's house? With Eamon moving in they must have been sleeping on top of each other.

26 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I agree where is everyone sleeping? I assume they have 3 bedrooms maybe 4. 

if I remember correctly Orla, Sarah and Joe live next door.

Edited by Aulty
22 hours ago, MaggieG said:

My favorite part of this whole season was Colm talking/boring Liam Neeson to death. 

Same here!  As soon as they said something about needing someone to wear Liam Neeson down, or whatever the line was, I was like, "Uncle Colm!" lol.

I agree with those who have said S3 wasn't as good as the first two, mainly because the writing just wasn't as tight and didn't seem fresh to me.  Plus it wasn't the same whenever Claire was separated from the group, even though I know that wasn't the show's fault.  And good lord, Claire and Erin's shrieking and facial contortions were over the top even for Claire and Erin! lol.  But all things considered, it really was wonderful to see everyone again.  This is one of those incredibly rare shows where I think I can say I really liked every single character and will miss them.

(But Michelle's brother killed somebody and we never knew that?  Come on now.)

• Love 4
14 hours ago, mledawn said:

Wait - WHAT!? 

18 hours ago, Aulty said:

I checked.  Season 1, episode 6 when Mary is collecting darks for the washing she asks Sarah 'so, if I go next door and open that washing basket of yours ...' and I am sure there was a hint on Joe living with them at some point.

For houses like those, 2-3 upstairs rooms (one probably a box room with a bed) plus a bathroom would be the standard layout.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

(But Michelle's brother killed somebody and we never knew that?  Come on now.)

I guess it could be explained away by Michelle's brother being an unspoken, very sore subject. Until Dennis decides to bring up the prospect of him being released.

I remember saying when I watched the episode that, even though it hasn't been set up, the show dynamics do allow for it quite easily - Deirdre always being so severe and apparently joyless, but having the space and being willing to accept James. Michelle being a little off the rails and angry, and being so resentful of James, who presumably moved into her brother's room.

There are lots of moments where you'd think that it would have been brought up, but silent shame was a very real part of the Troubles for a lot of people.

26 minutes ago, Aulty said:

I checked.  Season 1, episode 6 when Mary is collecting darks for the washing she asks Sarah 'so, if I go next door and open that washing basket of yours ...' and I am sure there was a hint on Joe living with them at some point.

For houses like those, 2-3 upstairs rooms (one probably a box room with a bed) plus a bathroom would be the standard layout.

Yeah, if I'm remembering the various bits of info we've had correctly, it's my assumption that the house Erin and her parents live in is next door to Mary's old childhood home, which Joe still owns (Jerry said that Mary's mother never lived in their house). That would make sense, because there's no way Sarah would be collected enough to even rent, let alone own a home.

They just spend all their time at Mary's because Sarah can't do anything for herself, and Joe always wants to keep an eye on Jerry.

I don't think there's any way they could all live in the same house, which would have a maximum of three bedrooms.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

For everyone wondering about the living situation -  my brother lives 3 doors away from our mum's house, my sister lives NEXT DOOR to mum on the other side. Totally normal for council estates back home for relatives to live on top of each other. Also - when my siblings first moved out of the house, they shared a house up the street! And we aren't the only family like that!

Also - of course they would treat James like crap because 1. He's English in a heavily Republican area. They are products of their environment and the English are the enemy. 2. Slagging people off is how we show affection. If we are too nice to you...well, you must be minus craic.

Also, I think we didn't get a flash-forward because of the significance of the Good Friday Agreement. It's the most important political decision our people have made and it is a timely reminder to those who want to destroy it, that it was hard fought and won't be given up easily. Great hearing John Hume again❤️

• Love 9

I have no meaning in my life any more without the Derry Girls. I want to dress as Sister George Michael and drive around Northern Ireland in a Delorean. Fuck a doodle I have no idea what to do with my time now. I think James telling Erin to write that down was the hint that Erin is Lisa McGee and she will be a writer and I really did hope that present day flash forward was going to tell us where they all ended up. It's been like 5 hours and I'm seriously sad and lonely without these girls.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

I think James telling Erin to write that down was the hint that Erin is Lisa McGee and she will be a writer and I really did hope that present day flash forward was going to tell us where they all ended up. It's been like 5 hours and I'm seriously sad and lonely without these girls.

Yeah, I expected a bit of an update too. I really needed closure on James and Erin

There is a short documentary on the BBC about the 'real' Derry Girls aka the girls who went to Thornhill (the real life version of Our Lady Immaculate) at or around the time Lisa McGee was there. They show a few clips of Lisa dancing on stage that are very much like Erin & Co in the season 1 finale. There are also a few shots of a girl that is the spitting image of Michele.
Its in Irish (with subtitles), its called Ceathrar Cailíní Dhoire

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Aulty said:

There is a short documentary on the BBC about the 'real' Derry Girls aka the girls who went to Thornhill (the real life version of Our Lady Immaculate) at or around the time Lisa McGee was there. They show a few clips of Lisa dancing on stage that are very much like Erin & Co in the season 1 finale. There are also a few shots of a girl that is the spitting image of Michele.
Its in Irish (with subtitles), its called Ceathrar Cailíní Dhoire

I NEED THIS!

Ordinarily I hate a music montage but damned if I didn't love the crap out of Orla having her own little dance number with some weans. It's just something Orla would do and not a weird fantasy thing.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I NEED THIS!

Ordinarily I hate a music montage but damned if I didn't love the crap out of Orla having her own little dance number with some weans. It's just something Orla would do and not a weird fantasy thing.

I loved that part as well!

• Love 1

Just finished S3 and while I enjoyed it, I agree with others that it wasn't as good as seasons 1 and 2.  I didn't care for them randomly killing Clare's dad on the same night that she has her (first?) kiss.  That just seemed unnecessarily cruel and didn't move the plot forward in any way.  If they needed her to move towns, they could have just said one of her parents got a new job.  I also didn't care for the Chelsea Clinton cameo.  The ending with them leaving the polling place was very strong and worked so well with the theme of the episode (the girls growing up and moving on to the next stage in their life paired with Ireland as a whole moving forward) that the Clinton thing just felt tacked on and out of place.  

And I was confused by the Sister Michael ending.  Did she convince the Bishop to let her stay?  Because she and the priest were smiling after she said "he didn't say much" and I couldn't figure out if that meant that the only thing he ended up saying was "yes, you can stay" or that he said no anyway but she really gave it her all.  

I will say that what I Ioved about this show was how it really captured what it's like to be a teenager.  I was also in high school at this time (albeit in the US) and so many of the situations felt like exaggerated versions of things my friends and I would do, unlike other "teen" shows that feature ridiculously absentee parents, way too serious romances, and endless drama.  

Also, the Liam Neeson bits in both the opener and finale were great!  I cracked up at his delivery of "sweet suffering Christ" in response to Uncle Colm's rambling and the way that he was able to convey so much emotion in the voting scene without saying a word was amazing.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
On 10/13/2022 at 9:48 PM, Snapdragon said:

Just finished S3 and while I enjoyed it, I agree with others that it wasn't as good as seasons 1 and 2.  I didn't care for them randomly killing Clare's dad on the same night that she has her (first?) kiss.  That just seemed unnecessarily cruel and didn't move the plot forward in any way.  If they needed her to move towns, they could have just said one of her parents got a new job. 

I believe that Lisa McGee has said this was based on something that happened to one of her childhood friends. I can understand why she might want to include it, if it's something that had a big impact on her and her group of friends when they were young.

It was rough to watch, but I understand why they might not have wanted to go for another trauma linked to the Troubles. Because random, mundane tragedies happen all the time too.

I also didn't care for the Chelsea Clinton cameo.  The ending with them leaving the polling place was very strong and worked so well with the theme of the episode (the girls growing up and moving on to the next stage in their life paired with Ireland as a whole moving forward) that the Clinton thing just felt tacked on and out of place.  

I didn't mind that. I liked the letter as a time capsule that brought the words of teenagers in 90s Northern Ireland into the present day. It just made me think more about what those five kids might be doing today, and how their lives turned out after the hope and optimism of the Good Friday Agreement.

I will say that what I Ioved about this show was how it really captured what it's like to be a teenager.  I was also in high school at this time (albeit in the US) and so many of the situations felt like exaggerated versions of things my friends and I would do, unlike other "teen" shows that feature ridiculously absentee parents, way too serious romances, and endless drama.  

This is why it really appealed to me as well. A lot of people have said this show is like The Inbetweeners, a far more tasteless comedy about a group of teenage boys, but I just don't see it. That show relies on gross out humour, on humiliating the characters in very broad, over the top ways. Derry Girls just slightly heightened all those little humiliations and embarrassments that we all experienced as teens.

Things like being outed in front of your crush, or trying to be cool and failing, or trying to act like a grown up in front of your parents and being cut right back down to size, that fear that you've just ruined your friendship with someone because you didn't think before you spoke. It all felt so real, and I loved the way that meshed with the high stakes politics of the Troubles.

• Love 10

I completely enjoyed the series but am a bit puzzled by one thing in the final.

Did Sister Michael keep her job or not?

The smile she and the priest shared after the reveal that "the Bishop didn't say much", could mean either she failed to convince him or she is keeping her job.

I must admit I have never heard of a Bishop changing his mind regarding a transfer.

Anyone have a clue?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

I completely enjoyed the series but am a bit puzzled by one thing in the final.

Did Sister Michael keep her job or not?

The smile she and the priest shared after the reveal that "the Bishop didn't say much", could mean either she failed to convince him or she is keeping her job.

I must admit I have never heard of a Bishop changing his mind regarding a transfer.

Anyone have a clue?

I think the show made it seem like she succeeded, but perhaps by underhanded means. I've seen people online speculate that she had dirt on him, that she successfully argued why she should stay, or that she just browbeat him until he agreed (this was my interpretation, because Sister Michael has always been the most dominant personality on the show, and I can see them extending that to an unseen Bishop).

Any of those explanations works, in the context of the scene where she and Father Peter talk about it. The alternative is that they were sharing a fatalistic smile about how much control the Catholic Church has over their lives.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2022 at 9:48 PM, TimothyQ said:
On 10/10/2022 at 9:48 PM, TimothyQ said:

Guess I’m in the minority. I really liked season 3 and appreciated why they didn’t do a “where are they now” segment. As much as I loved the characters and have fun imagining what might be, this show was about them entering and being ready (or not) for adulthood, tackling late teen problems with the abandon and hardheadedness of their late teens. That’s why these characters were so real for me: despite the wacky circumstances they got into, they seemed like real kids - kids I might have actually known when I was their age. I’m sure Lisa McGee has a great sense of what each are doing now, but I enjoy my own imaginations of them. And really, to me, that’s what matters.

I ended up really liking the season as well, which was a relief because the first two episodes felt like they lost their groove. From episodes 3 on it was just banging.

It was also a relief that they didn't show writer Erin in New York with a guy who night have been, but most likely wasn't James. The vote was the perfect ending. The only things I'd have left put was showing how everyone voted and just showed Orla's. 

I was surprised that Erin and James won me over this season. I was never against them, just didn't care one way or another. There were sweet moments on this last run, but what won me over was how clearly James saw her. When she's bitching about Jenny and going on about how she, Erin, has integrity. Cue James, You really don't. That's what locked it in, he liked her not some idealized version of her.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:48 PM, Aulty said:

Orla and Sarah definitely, but I was always under the impression that Joe lived with them just to bug Gerry.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, mledawn said:

The younger versions were well cast, although poor Brad/Rob's "Canadian" accent came and went a bit.

Did anyone else think the younger versions were going to be played by the five main actors?  Maybe this was the original plan before Nicola Coughlan's schedule got in the way?

• Love 2

Sad it’s done but it never wavered in quality for me. I do wonder if it might have swayed some young voters had it come out before Brexit voting. 

Question:  Why is James English to everyone?  Is it just his accent?  His birth city?  He has an Northern Irish, presumably Catholic mother and a presumably Irish father. Or did it say somewhere that his da was English?  If his ma had faffed off to Scotland for the abortion would they be calling him Scottish?  Why do they take the piss out of him for English atrocities when his ancestry is the same as theirs?  I feel like he would have been called Irish growing up by his peers in London with an Irish single mother and an Irish last name. I feel like historically he would have been Irish still to everyone no matter how posh he tried to be.  Did I miss something?

I would kind of get it if it was just the girls but his own aunt calls her feelings pure hatred!?!?  What?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlairP said:

Question:  Why is James English to everyone?  Is it just his accent?  His birth city?  He has an Northern Irish, presumably Catholic mother and a presumably Irish father. Or did it say somewhere that his da was English?  If his ma had faffed off to Scotland for the abortion would they be calling him Scottish?  Why do they take the piss out of him for English atrocities when his ancestry is the same as theirs?  I feel like he would have been called Irish growing up by his peers in London with an Irish single mother and an Irish last name. I feel like historically he would have been Irish still to everyone no matter how posh he tried to be.  Did I miss something?

I would kind of get it if it was just the girls but his own aunt calls her feelings pure hatred!?!?  What?

He was born in England, to an Irish mother, at a time when there were signs such as 'no blacks, no dogs, no Irish'. He was most likely not raised in the Irish culture to make it easier for him, so he never identified with that side of his heritage. Also, that accent is just like a red rag to a bull for some from our persuasion, yes, even to adults. As for the kids, they wouldn't know any better therefore he is fair game.

12 minutes ago, Wee S said:

He was born in England, to an Irish mother, at a time when there were signs such as 'no blacks, no dogs, no Irish'. He was most likely not raised in the Irish culture to make it easier for him, so he never identified with that side of his heritage. Also, that accent is just like a red rag to a bull for some from our persuasion, yes, even to adults. As for the kids, they wouldn't know any better therefore he is fair game.

But both sides of his heritage are Irish?  I think it’s odd that he’s so at sea about Ireland because he would have known at least something of it just from his mum. And that still doesn’t explain equating him with English oppressors.  The kids know his parents are both Irish. I just wonder why they never explicitly made him half-English if they were going to rage at him this way. (If missing Da was English army for ex)  Unless it was a way to point out that the Catholic and Protestant sides can both be illogical in many ways. 

• Like 1

I would be perfectly happy if McKee gave the girls' parents their own series. They are all equally hilarious in their own way. It can be set a few years after DG ended, maybe when the wee Quinn daughter (does she have a name?) is in her early teens. The original Girls can make (very) occasional cameo appearances as needed.

I had heard from so many of my friends that this was a great show. This past weekend I finally gave it a look. I'm almost finished with season three and I know I'm going to be missing these characters for a long time. The only episode I haven't liked was the one about the school reunion. I have a hard time believing that Mary, Sarah, et al. could conceal their homemade tattoos for so long from their husbands.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I had heard from so many of my friends that this was a great show. This past weekend I finally gave it a look. I'm almost finished with season three and I know I'm going to be missing these characters for a long time. The only episode I haven't liked was the one about the school reunion. I have a hard time believing that Mary, Sarah, et al. could conceal their homemade tattoos for so long from their husbands.

Yes I had the same thought about the tattoos

• Love 1

Well, I wasn't expecting that cameo at the end! I also didn't expect that a show as funny as this one would make me cry. The scene in the hospital with all the girls (and James) comforting Clare in their angel costumes was beautiful. 

This show was an absolute delight -- a celebration of youth, friendship and Irish culture. I'm sad that it's over, but I think it ended the way it should. 

Now I really want to travel to Ireland. I'll see if there's a chip shop around here that needs someone to do the cleaning. 

• Love 10

Finally finished it. Sister Michael and her resume of eye rolls is my favorite. She's so quotable! And subversive. I like the series long joke that nuns were just women living their lives--karate, overseas trips, football games, etc. Honestly she had a pretty sweet life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I kept looking at the actor paying Carlos Santini and thinking I knew him from somewhere. That was my favorite episode of the series. 

I live in the American South, but yesterday I was able to find a packet of Tayto crisps at a local shop that sells Irish goods. :)

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I live in the American South, but yesterday I was able to find a packet of Tayto crisps at a local shop that sells Irish goods. :)

But are they Northern Tayto or Free Stayto (From the South)?

Northern tayto - solid block of colour for packet, eg yellow for cheese and onion

Southern tayto - blue and red packets for cheese and onion

This is serious business; families have been torn apart on this debate... I, of course, Im a Northern tayto gal

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Wee S said:

But are they Northern Tayto or Free Stayto (From the South)?

Northern tayto - solid block of colour for packet, eg yellow for cheese and onion

Southern tayto - blue and red packets for cheese and onion

This is serious business; families have been torn apart on this debate... I, of course, Im a Northern tayto gal

Thats one of the jokes when Grandda Joe explains the agreement. The different packets are pinned on the board to symbolise the North and the Republic.
I enjoyed that.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Finally finished it. Sister Michael and her resume of eye rolls is my favorite. She's so quotable! And subversive. I like the series long joke that nuns were just women living their lives--karate, overseas trips, football games, etc. Honestly she had a pretty sweet life.

I have friends in Derry who have graciously shipped over some bags of Tayto crisps.  I had also heard about crisp sandwiches from said friends, and was skeptical as to how that would taste using American chips.  After tasting the Cheese and Onion flavor, I get it now.  

I still remain skeptical of the chip butty.  It feels unnecessary when fries are already finger food.  I might could do a poutine butty if there was no fork available.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I still remain skeptical of the chip butty.  It feels unnecessary when fries are already finger food.  I might could do a poutine butty if there was no fork available.

The local pro soccer team serves chip buttys in an appeal to the UK and Irish crowd. I tried it on principle but I wasn't wholly all-in. I'm with you - just gimme some poutine!

On 11/8/2022 at 12:48 AM, mledawn said:

The local pro soccer team serves chip buttys in an appeal to the UK and Irish crowd. I tried it on principle but I wasn't wholly all-in. I'm with you - just gimme some poutine!

Chitty butties and gravy chips (the equivalent of your poutine) are god-tier chippy foods in their own ways. Carbs on carbs for a chip butty...we use to put grated cheddar on then in school, finished with ketchup. Proper local delicacy back home.

I miss food from home so much.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wee S said:

Chitty butties and gravy chips (the equivalent of your poutine) are god-tier chippy foods in their own ways. Carbs on carbs for a chip butty...we use to put grated cheddar on then in school, finished with ketchup. Proper local delicacy back home.

I miss food from home so much.

Oh you were posh, we were lucky to get butter on our bread. 🙂

I'm going to miss this show!  I just re-watched the first 2 seasons before starting the final one since it had been so long.  I was their age during that time and loved the music, fashion, friendships, family interactions, crushes, embarrassments, and strength in numbers that this show portrayed.  I could relate so much.  Also loved Orla's crazy faces/antics in the background of so many scenes.

Yes, the Chelsea Clinton bit seemed tacked on.  The vote would have been a perfect ending.  Yes, they are all a bit dim, but it just seemed "campy" to me.

I do believe that Sister Michael got to stay.  I think her saying that "he didn't say much" meant that he didn't say much by way of objecting to her pleas to stay.  Plus, she had a sly look on her face when telling Fr. that.

I wish there were just one more kind word from Joe towards Jerry when he wasn't high on edibles.  Jerry was such a good guy.  (same with anyone towards James...throw him a bone!)  I think a scene between him and Sister Michael would have been fun.

Why for a brief moment did I think that Michelle and Dennis were going to have a fling? lol

Goodbye, Derry Girls.  I really enjoyed this series.  I'll miss you.

• Love 1

I believe Sister Michael was allowed to stay on as well.  I base this belief on scenes where she “goes against the grain” that we have seen.  Scenes such as: refusing to give up the statue, refusing to punish the girls for their lesbian newspaper (she actually smiled as she walked away), telling Jenny Joyce she needed to “learn when to push back” when Clinton came to town, etc.  She might represent ages of tradition in her professional role, but she is also a force for change as she stewards girls (and herself) towards the future.

Every now and then, I look up something in the show.  I’ve now learned about the Commitment(s), and the real life Polar Bear story is almost funnier than what appeared on the show!  

@Scatterbrained if you haven’t seen The Commitments, I highly recommend! It is based on Roddy Doyle’s Barrytown Trilogy books (The Commitments, The Van, The Snapper) which are so good. He writes phonetically, so it is also pretty immersive. These characters are out of Dublin but they are from the early 90s so similar timeline. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Very late to the party.  Loved season 3, but sad that things are ended.

Was I the only one disappointed that it wasn't Maria Doyle Kennedy at the party?

And I think the reunion episode provided the answer to where the girls all ended up.  Their mothers were a tight group of friends who were still a tight group of friends twenty years after graduation.  You can't know the specifics, but I doubt the younger Derry Girls won't still be friends.

• Like 1
  • Love 1