Type keyword(s) to search

Derry Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just binged this whole series and I came here to comment on exactly one thing: every episode of season two, the Derry girls all wear rainbow pins on their jackets or school uniforms. Always. Without fail. It's such an adorable, endearing little detail.

• Love 8

The BT has a few pictures from the upcoming Great British Bake Off Special featuring most of the Derry Girls (only Louisa is missing) plus sister Michael. It will air on New Year's Day on Channel 4 - I don't know when or if it will come to Netflix.

Can we have a second episode with the grown ups - with granda Joe, da Gerry and Colm?

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2

Well, that was cute. Not sure how I feel about the opening bit but the girls were fun.

As with all those celebrity specials there wasn't much when it came to the baking. While it was fun to have the whole crew there (minus Louisa) for this occasion, I don't quite get why people who have never baked anything in their life would be cast on a show like this. It always is such a mess.  I find it much more interesting when its a bunch of celebs who think they are great in the kitchen and looking to get confirmation on their baking skills.

Apart from Nicola, who came in as the odds on favourite but suffered a Steph, nobody knew what they were doing, their bakes looked a mess (even the trifles looked messy) and it was hard to pick a winner.

And I still need that second episodes with Joe, Gerry and Colm.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Aulty said:

And I still need that second episodes with Joe, Gerry and Colm.

I'm just imagining Colm, in character, explaining to Paul and Prue what he's planning to bake.

This was a fun Bakeoff, and the dynamics between the cast members don't seem to be worlds apart from the dynamics between the characters. Dylan as the awkward, quiet one, Nicola being a little fussy and mothering (and, of course, competent but panicky), Saoirse and Jamie-Lee as more mouthy and confident. Siobhan is obviously the biggest departure from her character. But her little "god, I've been in England too long"  and "this is what the English think is fun" snark were perfectly Sister Michael.

Blinis was an odd idea for a technical challenge. They really should have asked them to do potato pancakes from scratch, because those are very popular in Northern Ireland.

But I feel like these celebrity episodes should be more of a break from the format, and have Paul and Prue actively giving advice where needed. Make it a little more collaborative, because none of them know what they're doing, but they usually give it their all.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

This show would have been worth watching just for the awesome music. I loved seeing the 90s hair and clothes too. For those reasons, it reminded me a little of My Mad Fat Diary (which Ioved - if you haven't watched it yet, I think it's on Hulu now).

I love the girls' adventures as well as the typical high school experiences (Erin waiting for her date to show up for the 50s themed prom was Angela waiting for Jordan Catalano all over again).

What I really like about the show is that it's so specific (to Northern Ireland, to the 90s, to the Troubles) but it's also so universal (lying to go to a concert, getting in trouble at school, etc).

• Love 13
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This show would have been worth watching just for the awesome music. I loved seeing the 90s hair and clothes too.

If you are watching this on Netflix you don't even get the full load of 90s music. When I rewatched it on Netflix I realised that few songs had been  changed in the international version, for legal reasons I assume.

I was surprised that they chose Scarlett's Independent Love Song for the scene with Erin and James considering how raunchy those lyrics are 😃. Great song though.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2020 at 2:41 AM, Aulty said:

If you are watching this on Netflix you don't even get the full load of 90s music. When I rewatched it on Netflix I realised that few songs had been  changed in the international version, for legal reasons I assume.

I was surprised that they chose Scarlett's Independent Love Song for the scene with Erin and James considering how raunchy those lyrics are 😃. Great song though.

Really!? I will have to check out the Netflix version and see if I notice.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mledawn said:

Really!? I will have to check out the Netflix version and see if I notice.

Off the top of my head: S02E01 the scene with the bus ride to the FATB weekend. The original had a song (Gimme Hope Joanna by Eddy Grant), the international version just some instrumental music.

Edited by Aulty

Just watched to two short seasons on Netflix and love this wee show. 

Some of it is a bit cliché, the MJ food, but still funny. 

The kids are so real and relatable, not like other kids on TV.  At least American TV, for the most part. 

• Love 1

Tried to watch this a year or so ago, quit, took another crack at it recently and binged straight through two seasons. It's so enjoyable I don't even mind some television conventions that usually get under my skin. For example, in the scene where the girls are up all night studying, I just have a hard time picturing a situation where Claire would neglect to prepare for an important history exam without the show giving us a good episode as to why. Same with James, actually. And when Ms. De Brun interrupted the English class to request her B45 form (or whatever) from Sister Michael, that didn't feel realistic. Go to the bursary office or whatever. AND when you really binge through you can see how often Michelle is day drunk - particularly the day they nearly burnt down Finula's Chippy.  Lots of Michelles in life, but still I might not choose to hang out with her every day.

Somewhat upthread it's mentioned that the adults are more affected by the "troubles" than the kids, who are focused on their own concern. No, the adults are just as focused on their own concerns. For example, when a bridge is roadblocked, Aunt Sarah is frustrated because she needs to visit the tanning parlor, and Erin's mother Mary is beside herself because she can't stand the thought of keeping Erin at home another day. The Girls MUST go to school. The parents are just so wonderful on Derry Girls. The way the parents were ready to go on their knees to Sister Michael when she declared they'd be suspended at home for a week. The way Ma Mary has to have a full wash load, and became obsessed when Michelle's ma didn't want her big bowl back. And when she cried to Finula. "What do you expect me to do on a Friday, Finula? Cook? You expect me to cook!?"

Lisa Mcgee, the writer, revealed the big bowl secret by saying she guessed Michelle's ma did a lot of baking for family and neighborhood, felt unappreciated, decided to retire from baking and leave the bowl with Mary. Serve everybody right. And nobody noticed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DianeDobbler said:

Erin's mother Mary is beside herself because she can't stand the thought of keeping Erin at home another day. The Girls MUST go to school. The parents are just so wonderful on Derry Girls. The way the parents were ready to go on their knees to Sister Michael when she declared they'd be suspended at home for a week. 

Yeah this scenario is more like the kids are doing their parent's heads in and by being at school, the parents would get some peace!

In saying that, we all knew that the only way to get ahead in NI, as a Catholic, was to get your education, which is another reason Ma Mary is so pushy about school. We were all pushed to give our best, because many of our parents were denied these same opportunities - one man one vote didnt come in until 1969! which is why even today people from catholic/nationalist backgrounds get better gcse/a-level/go to university.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Lisa Mcgee, the writer, revealed the big bowl secret by saying she guessed Michelle's ma did a lot of baking for family and neighborhood, felt unappreciated, decided to retire from baking and leave the bowl with Mary. Serve everybody right. And nobody noticed.

I like that nugget of back story a lot. But why did Michelle say in the funeral episode that she wanted to make brownies but her Ma only had a recipe for scones? Did she throw out her cook books too?

13 hours ago, Wee S said:

In saying that, we all knew that the only way to get ahead in NI, as a Catholic, was to get your education, which is another reason Ma Mary is so pushy about school. We were all pushed to give our best, because many of our parents were denied these same opportunities.

Someone mentioned on slugger a while back that catholic prisoners used to spend their time inside reading and educating themselves, while (the few) protestants where more in favour of doin sports in the yard.

Edited by Aulty
On 4/10/2019 at 4:15 AM, Wee S said:

Roll on series 3. Lisa McGee is a legend.  

So, there is definitely going to be another season? If so, I am filled with such glee!

On 8/9/2019 at 12:51 PM, hokeypokeyFOIA said:

This is right up there with Red Oaks in terms of a series that made me laugh and feel good the whole time.

Well well well, let me add Red Oaks to my list of shows to watch then.

I had this show on my list because a friend is always recommending it but I had just never got around to it. But with the current state it felt like something that would be good to watch and fucking hell was it! What a perfect little show. Great mix of humor and heartwarming and perfect for this time imo. 

Not gonna lie, I couldn't understand most of it at first lol. After episode 2 I was like fuck it and put on the cc so that really helped. I still missed some stuff and just flat out didn't know what some stuff meant, but that didn't hurt the enjoyment at all.

I straight-up cried at James' "I'm a Derry girl!"

• Love 4

If anyone listens to the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast (or doesn't, but is looking for something to do), you might want to check out the latest episode where the hosts focus on Derry Girls.  They definitely have mixed opinions!

• Love 2

Late to the wedding reception, but, fuck-a-doodle-doo, I love this show! Sr Michael for the win! (I did a literal spit take at her description of an egg and onion sandwich being "able to turn an Orange march." Had to pause the episode to clean up the mess.)

Speaking of my favorite episode, I have never in my life seen a line dance you do sitting on the floor. Don't your clothes get filthy? Have you seen what people track in on their shoes?

Delighted there'll be another season. In the meantime, I'll be rewatching and feckin' pissin' meself.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

Speaking of my favorite episode, I have never in my life seen a line dance you do sitting on the floor. Don't your clothes get filthy? Have you seen what people track in on their shoes?

I have similar thoughts every time someone in a US sitcom puts their shoes on the couch or bed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Aulty said:

I have similar thoughts every time someone in a US sitcom puts their shoes on the couch or bed.

Or throws a pair of shoes inside a suitcase on top of their clothes.

I also cringe when I see characters put their purses or backpacks on the ground and then in the next scene they go home and put the same bag on their bed, sofa, kitchen counter, etc.

• Love 2

Maybe worth mentioning that SMJ and SR really are friends.
SR is a big Derry Girls fan and would love to appear on the show (as do many others). Show runner Lisa McGee is reluctant to have big names on the show though - she thinks using lesser known actresses and actors (along with her faible for casting comedians like Tommy Tiernan) are part of why the show is so well received.

• Love 4

Honestly, having Saoirse Ronan make a one off guest appearance, as a really attractive, really collected new girl at school that they all instantly adore would be amusing.

But I do think the show is better off avoiding any 'we can get this star because we're mates' stunts. It can be a slippery slope and end up with a cavalcade of guest stars because it's "expected" and people who like the show keep asking to be on it.

• Love 2

Derry Girls S2 Removed From Netflix In The UK After Rights Snafu

After tweeting last week that Derry Girls was ready to stream, Netflix today backtracked: “UPDATE: it looks like we were a bit early with this one so have had to take season two down for now. We’ll let you know when it’s coming back as soon as we can. In the meantime, it’s available now on All 4.”

Netflix had to remove the second series of the Hat Trick Productions show after it was informed that it does not have the rights until Season 3 has broadcast on Channel 4. The third season was due to go into production this summer, but was derailed by the coronavirus pandemic, meaning its premiere date is uncertain.

As a result of the unusual snafu, Netflix directed its UK users to watch on Channel 4’s streaming service All 4. Netflix users outside of the UK will still be able to view the series, which follows the antics of a group of Northern Irish school friends during the troubles in Derry.

On 4/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, Wee S said:

So, I actually did grow up in the North of Ireland during the 1990s, went to a Catholic school and all and I cant tell you enough how much this tv show is basically a retelling of my life back then. 

The school - our version of Jenny Joyce is the first thing that pops into my head. Then the sayings - basically Michelle is all of us. I adore her. I was more of an Erin myself, for my sins, but I love the whole group together.

To this day I can't stand the sight of soldiers. They used to use the field across the road for manoeuvres - after a while you got used to the helicopters, but I never got used to them driving through our area, standing out the top of their trucks, guns pointed. Or the roadblocks.

Derry Girls is great mixing the comedy with the heavy and just with tonight's episode I couldn't help but tear up. Again. By far the episode at the wake in s2 was the best - could have actually been my own da's wake from last year!

The whole island loves Derry Girls and we're so proud of it - seeing our culture and way of life on tv is fantastic as were used to being forgotten by the UK. 

I’m rewatching the series for the third time, and I just finished the episode where the guy hid in the car trunk/boot when they were going on holiday. I recently read a book about the Troubles and a few of the more well-known members of the IRA (Gerry Adams, Brendan Hughes, Dolours and Maria Price), and because of this book, I now understand what a “Provo” and a “tout” are!

• Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 9:22 PM, turbogirlnyc said:

I've watched this show in it's entirety about 6 times now and it will never get old. I still LOL every few minutes. Excellent cast!! Hope for season a 3 soon!

OMG -- best six hours I've seen in a good long while -- I watched season 2 on a flight (properly masked of course) and I was cracking up -- the escaped polar bear underlying their sneaking off to Belfast was priceless . . . and when there was a knock at the door and the parents thought it was the polar bear . . . "yes, it'll maul you to death but it'll be polite and knock first. . . " That's when the other passengers gave me side eye because I was laughing so hard. 

Fuck-a-doodle-doo must now be incorporated into daily conversation, and Sister Michael is just beyond words awesome and the mediator priest with the perfect hair . . . . every little thing about this show is hysterical. 

Is there a season 3 in the works???

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6

The Great British Bake Off episode featuring the cast of Derry Girls FINALLY dropped on Netflix in the states today. Its titled "Great Festive Bake Off" and is absolutely a riot. 

Dylan is just the cutest thing, and Siobhan is a freakin' riot. The bakes were definitely entertaining and you can tell they all truly enjoy being around each other. 

Good way to spend an hour! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

The Great British Bake Off episode featuring the cast of Derry Girls FINALLY dropped on Netflix in the states today. Its titled "Great Festive Bake Off" and is absolutely a riot. 

Dylan is just the cutest thing, and Siobhan is a freakin' riot. The bakes were definitely entertaining and you can tell they all truly enjoy being around each other. 

Good way to spend an hour! 

Darn you! Now I have to rewatch the series again!

• Love 1

I had never even heard of Derry Girls before I watched the Great Festive Bake Off. Since then I've binged both seasons AND re-watched their Bake Off episode. I'm now officially a HUGE fan and can't wait for season 3.

Would be interesting to see stats on how much Derry Girls viewership on Netflix spiked in the US in the last few days. Also how many Americans have tried to use the word craic in a sentence this week.

Now I want a Derry Girls Bake Off every year!

• Love 7
On 12/8/2020 at 1:05 PM, zibnchy said:

I had never even heard of Derry Girls before I watched the Great Festive Bake Off. Since then I've binged both seasons AND re-watched their Bake Off episode. I'm now officially a HUGE fan and can't wait for season 3.

Would be interesting to see stats on how much Derry Girls viewership on Netflix spiked in the US in the last few days. Also how many Americans have tried to use the word craic in a sentence this week.

The show deserves all of the success. Its such a smart, warm, funny show that manages to use the backdrop of the Troubles poignantly while also making fun of the sectarian stances.

It's also a show that could do a really good Christmas episode, if British shows tended to do that.

• Love 7

I saw the actors on the Great British Bake Off  2020 Holiday special,  and they were so funny and charming that I went back to watch the show.

I am totally hooked on it now,  its a laugh out loud series,  with wonderful characters and great lines.

I am trying to get all my Irish friends to watch so I have someone to share it with.

Just love it.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2020 at 7:05 AM, zibnchy said:

Me too!  They were hilarious!

• Love 1

This popped up on my Netflix (probably because I watched the British Bake off). I finally decided to try it. I've watched the first two episodes. It is a good show and did make me laugh. I related to the scene where they were ordering food as it's like that at my in-laws. We would decided we should have 3 of something and some how end up with 5 lol. And I totally knew a people like Michelle (?) who were always getting in trouble for something but generally nice to me even if I didn't participate in it. 

The one thing that I was a bit confused about but it seemed like both episodes just sort of ended. Like the next episode doesn't pick up where the other one left (which is fine since it's a sitcom) but it also doesn't return to the starting point either. So say the end of the first one their teacher dies while they are in detention and they are "investigating it". Then nothing about it was mentioned at all in the next episode. Maybe it's a cultural thing or a stylistic choice. 

13 minutes ago, blueray said:

This popped up on my Netflix (probably because I watched the British Bake off). I finally decided to try it. I've watched the first two episodes. It is a good show and did make me laugh. I related to the scene where they were ordering food as it's like that at my in-laws. We would decided we should have 3 of something and some how end up with 5 lol. And I totally knew a people like Michelle (?) who were always getting in trouble for something but generally nice to me even if I didn't participate in it. 

The one thing that I was a bit confused about but it seemed like both episodes just sort of ended. Like the next episode doesn't pick up where the other one left (which is fine since it's a sitcom) but it also doesn't return to the starting point either. So say the end of the first one their teacher dies while they are in detention and they are "investigating it". Then nothing about it was mentioned at all in the next episode. Maybe it's a cultural thing or a stylistic choice. 

The show is very episodic and rarely has any plotlines that thread throughout the season.  Part of the reason why is because the creator wants to touch upon so many aspects of living in Derry in the 90s.  The show also jumps around as to which year it is.  Is it 1994, or 1995 or 1996?  It jumps back and forth to get to the subject of each episode.  It could potentially be disorientating for some who want the show to follow along an established timeline, but I don't mind.  I think it also gets to the disorientating and absurd way people lived in Derry during that time.  The politicians are working on peace, but you never know when the IRA or the Ulster Unionists would do something, and the British army is still occupying your home.  

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, cartoongothcrush said:

hi everyone!

irish history info needed. Since the second series ended with one of the cease fires, what historically happens next in the troubles?

The show is not necessarily following the established timeline of events.  Bill Clinton did visit Derry in November 1995, but the show has him visiting in the summer.  That being said, the next few years in Derry was relatively peaceful culminating with the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.  There was still some violence in those years, but in other areas of Northern Ireland.  Things would still get heated every July when marching season began, but the 90s were nothing like the previous decades.  Still, the Catholics stayed in their part of the city and the Prods in theirs with very little interactions.  

I was an American teen during this time, and spent July 1996 with a bunch of teens from Derry.  They came over here for the month and stayed with families of the same religion.  At that point in time, the teens were still very separate in their daily lives with the Catholic kids going to Catholic schools while the Protestant teens went to the equivalent of public schools.  Integrated schools came later.  We spent the month getting to know each other, laughed, cried, lamented the breakup of Take That, watched one of the Protestant guys cheat on his girlfriend back home with one of the Protestant girls, etc.  We had a few incidents and characters which would be utterly hilarious in the show.  One I will remember for a long time having to do with the meaning of the word Shag.  In Eastern North Carolina it is a type of dance done to Beach Music, and I think we all know how the Brits use that word.  It was like the second or third day of the project, when one of the American girls started to list everything we could do that month.  A list of mostly banal things until Erin uttered "and we can teach you how to shag."  The look of horror on one of the Irish girls was priceless and Erin had no idea what she had just said.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Derry girls seems to use the timeframe much the way the goldbergs uses 'the 80s' .  They aren't following and exact timeline of things and just sprinkle in the historic bits as it fits the story. The goldbergs always says it's '1980- something' to describe it.  

And I'm fine with that I don't need a documentary. 

• Love 7

Yeah, while the show is playing it loose with the chronology of the Troubles, the biggest single event in the late 90s would be the Omagh Bombing in 1998, which killed 29 people (three of whom went to school with my girlfriend). It actually happened after the Good Friday Agreement was signed, and was perpetrated by an IRA offshoot who objected to the peace process. I think the show already quasi-used that in the season one finale, with the bombing that the parents are reacting to while the girls are dancing at school.

There was also the London Docklands Bombing and the Manchester Bombing in 1996, but they probably didn't make as many waves in Northern Ireland as it did in England. Fortunately there were no deaths in Manchester (which was the largest bomb attack in mainland Britain since the Second World War) as the police were given ample warning and managed to evacuate a large section of the city centre, and two killed in the London attack.

The show shouldn't be a documentary, but I'd definitely recommend watching documentaries on the Troubles. It's such a crazy, inexplicably violent period.

• Useful 2