Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music - General Discussion

UYI
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Since his brother and a mentor inspired the song I think that I must have missed what George Jones was to Vince Gill beyond a star 

They collaborated on some songs. George showed up in at least one of Gill's music videos. George didn't come up with the 'Sweetpea' nickname for Vince out of nowhere.

The song was inspired first by Whitley and it doesn't take much to see the parallel given Jones' infamous struggles with alcohol. Hell, one of the scenes in Gill's video is George parodying the story of him driving to a liquor store on his lawnmower because Tammy had hidden the keys to all their various cars.

There was a relationship there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I can take or leave a lot of Cash's output, but I didn't mind all of the Cash coverage (although I did have to laugh/cringe at the clip of him smoking on AP Carter's grave) as I do think he's a through line for the entire documentary. What Burns and team could have done is trim the Kathy Mattea section (and I like her) in order to show more than just brief photos and clips of alt-country artists like Lyle Lovett and kd lang. (Even just brief segments on lang's retro Shadowland CD and Lovett's racially diverse Large Band -- which could play anything from swing to western swing to blues to honky-tonk to heartbreakers -- would have been nice. Again, too many artists to cover, I get it.)

Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams and Patsy Cline must have looked down from Country Heaven at Garth Brooks flying and laughed. Nice that Mother Maybelle got the final photograph of the series.

It's odd that while I'm sorry the series is over I was also ready for it to be over. I blame myself for watching it nightly instead of banking all the episodes on my DVR and then watching one a week, almost as a treat. I wish I knew why PBS airs Burns' documentaries nightly with a break for the weekend instead of once a week. I do love his work, but next time I'm going to dole them out to myself. (Or so I say now...)

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I have to agree. Johnny Cash transcended country music. I will say that I wish they had gone further with the bit about being dropped from Columbia because the Nashville establishment did that to a lot of country stars. Rick Rubin revitalizing Cash's career at the end was a huge thing but it also not a stand alone. Merle Haggard went with a punk label to do an album and actually made a vow on stage in the 90s (maybe?) to never sign with a Nashville label again. Jack White produced Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose' on Interscope Records which was definitely not known as a country label.

You had a very brief segment of George Strait, Reba, Alan Jackson and Randy Travis where they were called the 'new traditionalists' but it wasn't acknowledged that, at the time, Nashville was cutting out their actual long-term stars out. What about at the CMA awards in the 90s where George Jones was up for single of the year but they would only give him a minute to play and told him to abridge the song to fit. Jones refused to show up. So Alan Jackson interrupted his own performance to insert some of 'Choices' as a protest.

I agree with everything in @Dandesun's post, but I quoted this part specifically as I want to talk a bit more about this part. 

First, let me say that I was shocked that Alan Jackson just had a photo shown and his name dropped. He's deserving of much more than that.  I was really hoping that Jackson's duet with George Strait, "Murder on Music Row" would be included. It's from 1999 and I know that the episode title indicated "1984-1996" but Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" was from 2002, so Burns did open the door. "Murder" was a strong criticism of all the pop influences on country music. While it was never officially released as a single, popular demand forced it to be played on country radio. The big issue was that even if the long-established artists were able to get smaller labels to record their new music, country radio stations just wouldn't play them! Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Loretta Lynn and Merle Haggard along with Johnny Cash were still actively creating new music but country radio wouldn't touch it. (Willie is STILL prolific. In the past three years Willie has released SIX new studio albums!) Alan Jackson had also softly addressed the issue years earlier with "Don't Rock the Jukebox." That was released in 1991, firmly within the timeline of the episode but evidently didn't warrant a mention. 😠 

I was very pleased to see a small segment on Keith Whitley. He was the real deal but sadly, his demons destroyed him. 😢 Of course, that's what led to Vince Gill's "Go Rest High on That Mountain."

I've said in an earlier post that IMO, Garth Brooks epitomizes the downfall of true country music. It was pretty much all downhill from there. I had to laugh at Tricia Yearwood's (now Mrs. Brooks) talking head where she was trying to sell us on the fact that he's more country than she is. Chris Gaines, anyone? 🙄 

I'd say that Ken Burns considers Johnny Cash to be the most important artist in the history of Country Music. He did give strong coverage to The Carter Family, Jimmie Rogers and Hank Williams--and ended the series on Mother Maybelle--but there's just not as much photographic and videographic content available from the 1920s through the early 1950s and, in the case of Rogers and Williams, they died very young so their creative output is far less than that of Johnny Cash. Anyway, I think Cash is great--I'm proud and blessed to be able to say that I saw him perform live in the early 80s--and I have no problem with the prominent coverage he received in this documentary.

Edited to add:  I was shocked that there was NO mention of the Highwaymen?!?!

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

@Dandesun

😠

😢

🙄

Anyway, I think Cash is great--I'm proud and blessed to be able to say that I saw him perform live in the early 80s--and I have no problem with the prominent coverage he received in this documentary.

I'm envious.  I went to see Johnny at the Surf in Clear Lake in the early 60's, but I was so excited about being in that environment -- my first live music show, cute boys, liquor, smoking! -- my 16-year-old self paid very little attention to the music.  I  just wasn't ready.

While everyone's here, is there anyone new we should be paying attention to? 

• Love 1

More traditional artists now in the mainstream:

William Michael Morgan (dropped by his label however)

Jon Pardi

Luke Combs

Mo Pitney (unfortunately, he's part of the Curb Records label...probably the worst in Nashville)-

Scotty McCreery (dropped by UMG - then signed with an Indie - Triple Tigers. Best thing that could have happened.)

Ashley McBryde

Artists now seeming to find their way to radio play:

Tyler Childers (saw him in Nashville - sort of bluegrass/country/Americana)

Cody Jinks

Sturgill Simpson (been around awhile....but getting more recognition by the general country community)

Jason Isbell

Margo Price

• Love 2

I love Sturgill Simpson.  Sometimes it sounds as if he's channeling Waylon!

Jason Isbell is great too, but I know him more from the general singer/songwriter category.   He's been around for quite some time and only in the past couple of years has he been marketed as country.  He's really good; the label doesn't make any difference.

• Love 3

Well, this documentary made me discover that Dolly Parton is fantastic.  And Dwight Yoakam, never had heard of him before, I love his voice and his - sass.  I wanted to bounce around when they showed him performing. And I never knew that I have Willie Nelson to thank for Austin City Limits

And I disagree that there was too much Johnny Cash.  Like Bob Dylan Cash is a towering music legend.  He deserves all the air time he got.

• Love 12

I thought this documentary/series was great. I, too, was tired of Johnny Cash but I understood why he was highlighted. He was special but if Burns could have cut a bit of him it would have helped IMO. I was so disappointed in the time given to George Strait. I saw him when he was playing in ballrooms at hotels and I saw him at one of his last concerts at JerryWorld. For those of you not from Texas it’s where the Dallas Cowboys play. Over 100,000 people were there each night. I was there for the beginning and the end. I have so many memories that go with his songs.

I was in college and had just met my husband and went with him to those ballroom shows. My youngest went with me to the last one and knew the words to every song as did/do I. I wish I could express just how big George was for over twenty years. The song played during the short highlight is one of his best songs (Amarillo by Morning) but was not one of the 60 # 1 hits he had. In my part of the country he was and is called King George. He respects country music history. Almost every album has a Western Swing song on it. One of his big hits was written by Merle. He’s not a songwriter but he knew what worked for him and work it did. I love his music.

I love others from many eras, too. I had Patsy Cline’s greatest hits when I was a teenager. I went to school with Charley Pride’s son so I was very familiar with his story. He deserved the section on him. I realize even with the time he had Burns couldn’t cover all the deserving artists. George, Alabama, and Barbara Mandrell should have had more time. 

I won’t even listen to what is considered country these days. Give me a George Strait Sirius channel and that’d be all I need. This is George singing Merle in one of the few videos he did. 

https://youtu.be/V-9FdWmZqRQ

eta

I forgot to mention I love Dolly, Waylon, Willie, and all the other boys. My mom had the eight track tapes of The Outlaws and The Red Headed Stranger. My all time favorite Willie album is Stardust.❤️  Much as I love country I am a girl of my times. I love me some Cars, Foreigner, Journey, Prince, Bruce, etc.... and Garth ain’t got nothin on Bruce.

Edited by natalie wood
Felt I needed to add
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

My music education is basic, from childhood through early teens, so I can't speak of the technical aspects of the music much.  I don't have a creative writing or philosophy background, so I can't speak much about lyrics, prose, or any of that.  I am a fan of music, most if not all genres, and I'll just say that I can appreciate most of what was repesented in this documentary.  Garth Brooks included.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7

I didn't really expect to enjoy the last episode because I thought country music of that era was awful and bland.  Garth Brooks is the perfect example of those days.  Nice guy, apparently put on a good show, but his music was blander than bland.  What I didn't expect was that I would cry so much.

The first time was when Kathy Matteo(?) told the story of the song 'Where You Been?' and then sang it.  My mother suffered from dementia before she died, so I know the toll it takes.  My father had been killed years ago and in my mother's last years, she always told me to clean up the house because Daddy was coming back and the place should be nice for him.  I know she would have given anything to say 'where you been?' to him but I know she said it to him when they met on the other side.

Vince Gill broke me up with his song that he wrote for his friend and his brother.  But when he was singing it at George Jones memorial, it was heart-breaking.  All I could think was 'poor Possum'.  To see the people in the audience stand with Vince out of love and respect for one of the greats was so beautiful.

I've heard the name Ricky Scaggs but I don't think I know any of his music.  I am familiar with Bill Monroe as one of the greats of bluegrass music.  Once again I was moved to tears when Scaggs told the story of promising that he would work to make sure to preserve bluegrass and that Monroe could rest in peace.

This episode brought back memories of country musicians like Steve Earle, Travis Tritt (he does a duet of 'If Something is Wrong with My Baby' with Patti LaBelle on 'Rhythm Country and Blues' that will melt your brain, it's so fucking hot) and Canada's own kd lang who has a voice of an angel.  I remember Dwight Yokum wore the tightest jeans I've ever seen.  I loved that he added a Mexican theme to his duet with Buck Owens.  THAT was the country music I was listening to while Garth was filling stadiums.

I can't blame Burns for focusing so much on Johnny Cash.  He was a giant in country music that spanned generations and genres.  He was one of the most fearless artists in a genre that's very conservative.  He was a champion to so many artists and continued to be creative until he died.  I remember the albums he made with Rick Rubin.  I knew Rubin because he was such an important producer in hiphop so when I heard that he was working with Johnny Cash of all people I was surprised to say the least.  But the work they did together was amazing and reminded country music that it wasn't just about big cowboy hats.

I would have liked to have seen the Dixie Chicks and an exploration of what's being called 'roots' music because a lot of people of colour are involved.  But the documentary ended before that.

Marty Stuart was one of the my favourites in this series and I thought he put it  perfectly when he said that country music was very colourful on the inside and everyone was welcome in.    I'm never going to be a country music fan, but this documentary has inspired me to do a little exploring.

• Love 10

I agree that the last two episodes felt rushed --especially since I hadn't heard of a lot of the people or songs mentioned -- and those bits could have been drawn out even more. I had to rewind a bit more for the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments.

I wouldn't cut anything, and especially not Johnny Cash. His cover of Hurt was the very first single by him I ever owned, and coming into this documentary, I have to confess that most of what I thought I knew about his life came from the movie Walk the Line.

I wonder how Marty Stuart told his wife that he had announced he was going to marry her when he was eleven?

One of the (many) things that I came to appreciate was how the documentary treated songwriters, producers, and venue operators as much a part of the story as the recording artists. Without the Bluebird, Garth Brooks might not be soaring above huge music amphitheaters years later like some glittery flying squirrel.

I also liked how Garth Brooks never "got above his raisin" not only with the marathon signing session, but also giving a fourth concert for free when he learned how much scalpers were getting.

True confession -- I thought the episode title was some quaint phrase about dried grapes, and I couldn't fathom what it meant.

I still don't get Garth Brooks' music, but as the documentary made abundantly clear, there's enough within the umbrella of Country Music that I've discovered I do like, and that's the beauty of it.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, natalie wood said:

I love me some Cars, Foreigner, Journey, Prince, Bruce, etc.... and Garth ain’t got nothin on Bruce.

So true. But LOL, Bruce's new album is titled "Western Stars," all the promo shots I've seen he's rockin' the cowboy hat, and on his narration of the trailer for the film he sounds like an old grizzled cowpoke. I'll still buy the record and see the film though. Bruce is also very American music, as are many more. I think the one theme of the series, of how all music seems to cross over and be adapted by other genres, is the best observation of it's strengths. 

I also commiserate with those folks a couple of pages back on the complete dissing of John Denver by the Nashville crowd. I really saw him as more of a folk singer, and an environmentalist, but sheesh, look at everyone else not strictly country that they were willing to embrace, both before JD and after.

This series overall was exceptional. I learned so much about the backstories of entertainers I had very little knowledge of, beyond musical glimpses of many of them on Johnny Cash's show and "Hee Haw" when I was a kid. My Dad liked Johnny Cash a lot and both his and Glen Campbell's variety shows were watched most weeks. I had a smallish dabble in the 1990's to early 2000's eras and still like to listen to some of Trisha Yearwood, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, Dwight Yokum, and even Garth Brooks. Our local summer fair has live music acts and we take full advantage of the "Grandstands free with fair admission" option. We get to experience some great music that way. This year we saw both Travis Tritt and Charlie Daniels on one night and Big and Rich another night. The Big and Rich show started off with a DJ doing a bunch of song sampling and wrapped up with a mash up of hip-hop acts, dancers and the same DJ bouncing around the stage. It was such a fun and unexpected show, for something billed as "country." A few years ago we were even treated to Willie Nelson.

One of my favorite songs, which is still on my "faves" playlist on the ol' iPod in the car, is Willie and Merle's version of "Pancho and Lefty." I had no idea of it's history or of it's author. That was so true about several of the heritage type songs that get re-recorded over the generations.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
Because Merle Haggard, not Waylon Jennings, sang with Willie Nelson on "Pancho and Lefty." Which they actually interviewed MH about that session.
  • Love 5

Garth Brooks came to our Mid-State Fair two years ago and, obviously, it was a Big Fucking Deal. It sold out almost immediately and Garth added another show because of it. I was, happily, at a lake in Virginia at the time and didn't have to deal with any of it. However, our business is a fair sponsor so all of our employees were practically frothing at the mouth to get tickets through the sponsorship. I was waiting for cage matches to start, to be honest.

I am, personally, not a big fan of country music. The old stuff is nostalgic to me but, man, my Dad used to drag us to bluegrass festivals when I was young and I really hated them. I've probably seen all the big names but I just remember being bored out of my mind the entire time. I probably wasn't allowed to bring a book so that had a lot to do with it. See, Dad was a musician himself. He played at bars in college (loved the folk scene) and basically played his whole life because he loved it and he was good at it. When I say he played John Denver all the time, I mean he played the guitar himself and sang the songs himself. So Dad played and Mom had the radio on all the time growing up... thus... music everywhere.

I love music, I got that from my parents, and while I'm no big fan of country as a whole, I love history and how things tie together. And a good song is a good song. Period. I was actually pretty excited to see Gram Parsons in this because for as little time as he was around, well, he did bring Emmylou into country and... has anyone watched the Keith Richards: Under the Influence doc on Netflix? He goes to the Opry and is looking at the exhibits there and is asked if he has a Nudie suit. Keith does. Gram gave it to him. Keith was already a lover of all music but Gram really opened the doors for him with country. (They have the picture of Gram with Keith and mention 'Wild Horses.') Listen to 'The Worst.' That is a country song. It couldn't be anything else.

I had no idea about Townes Van Zant before watching this. Wow. As much as I love the various versions of 'Pancho and Lefty' hearing Townes do it somehow makes the words clearer. What a writer.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Glaze Crazy said:

So true. But LOL, Bruce's new album is titled "Western Stars," all the promo shots I've seen he's rockin' the cowboy hat, and on his narration of the trailer for the film he sounds like an old grizzled cowpoke. I'll still buy the record and see the film though. Bruce is also very American music, as are many more. I think the one theme of the series, of how all music seems to cross over and be adapted by other genres, is the best observation of it's strengths. 

Then y'all had to bring up Bruce who I've been obsessed with for the past couple of years. First off, many country singers have covered Bruce's songs but that's not particularly unusual. Bruce is a great writer. But it's been really funny when I'm telling my sister 'Listen to this song...' and she goes 'I've heard this. Why have I heard this? Oh... Faith Hill did that.' When he talks about 'The River' it's based on his little sister who did get pregnant in high school by her boyfriend -- a bull rider -- they got married and moved to south Jersey where all the cowboys lived. And they still go to the rodeo every year.

New Jersey. Where the cowboys lived. Granted, Jersey in Bruce's youth was very different but I can tell you that what I always thought Jersey was isn't necessarily what it is.

As for 'Western Stars' there is a conceptual facet to it... about a guy who goes to Hollywood to be a stuntman in the westerns. It somehow fits country and doesn't... well, not the country we know now. If some country star doesn't cover 'Hitch Hikin' then I don't even know. (Actually, the whole album... someone's got to pull some of those songs out to do. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.)

Also, big thank you to the video above with Brian Setzer. He's rockabilly! That's been his thing since the 80s! Of COURSE he fits!!

• Love 9
18 hours ago, magdalene said:

And Dwight Yoakam, never had heard of him before, I love his voice and his - sass.  I wanted to bounce around when they showed him performing

I'd heard of him, but wasn't familiar with his music.  Now I intend to be.  Streets of Bakersfield was absolutely terrific, and I love that he worked with Buck Owens on an FU to Nashville.

And I realized while watching that I haven't heard much Merle Haggard.  I knew of him, of course, and had heard Okie from Muskogee (and didn't particularly like it), but damn, some of those early songs are amazing.

15 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Marty Stuart was one of the my favourites in this series and I thought he put it  perfectly when he said that country music was very colourful on the inside and everyone was welcome in. 

He's another one I'd heard of but hadn't listened to before.  But damned if he wasn't a fantastic commentator/interviewee for this.  His knowledge of country music history is vast and it was obvious that his love for music is deep and intense.

11 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

One of the (many) things that I came to appreciate was how the documentary treated songwriters, producers, and venue operators as much a part of the story as the recording artists. Without the Bluebird, Garth Brooks might not be soaring above huge music amphitheaters years later like some glittery flying squirrel.

Me, too.  Big music stars tend to be the focus most of the time, and they're the ones who get biopics about them, but the rest of the sroty is so important, and I'm glad Burns included so many other aspects of the genre.

42 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

New Jersey. Where the cowboys lived. Granted, Jersey in Bruce's youth was very different but I can tell you that what I always thought Jersey was isn't necessarily what it is.

Well, it is where the Cowtown Rodeo is, after all.  I have relatives who go every year.  Southern Jersey is a whole different kettle of fish from Bruce's part.  Although Cowtown isn't that far from Philadelphia.

• Love 6

I have been so busy with work recently that I knew there was no way I'd get to watch this as it aired, but PBS.com has all eight episodes up on their website, so I'll be binge watching the hell out of this over the next few days, for sure. I can't wait. 🙂

Trying not to get too worked about the people not as familiar here with Dwight Yoakam, though, lol. The King of Country Cool as far as I'm concerned. If he and Tanya Tucker aren't FINALLY inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame next year, I will fucking riot, for real.

I am sad that the cut off date on this meant the controversy/de facto banning of the Dixie Chicks in 2003 would go completely unmentioned. That is probably the industry's biggest black mark against it, and probably led--intentionally or not--to the decline of women on country radio that continues to the present day. It deserves to be dissected, every part of it, no matter how ugly it got. And it got VERY ugly, indeed. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 12

This series was pretty much my life. Well, the early days were before my time, but, I recall some from listening to my great grandparents. (My great grandmother and her 4 daughters sang, played guitar, mandolin, in their community in the 30's and 40's.) My mother also sang in church and school and it was from her and my grandmother that I got old albums and learned all the words to songs by Roger Miller,some by Hank Williams like Kaw-Liger, and Loretta Lynn. Then later, learned to purchase and enjoy my own picks like singles by Jeannie C. Riley, Freddie Fender, Tanya Tucker, etc. Later, as an adult, I began to love the old sounds by Jones/Wynette, Waylon, Twitty, as well as the new sounds by The Judds, Mattea, Brooks,. and yes, YOAKAM!    So, it was quite emotional for me.  I just have a voracious appetite for most all of that music.

Before, the last episode, without reading anything at all, I told my mom what I expected to see and I was pretty close. I really enjoyed hearing Marty talk a lot. Although, he's from MS and not my state (NC), he sure sounds like a lot of guys from around here. It's amazing. I feel like I've known him my entire life. lol   Years ago, Marty was on all the country awards shows, tributes, etc all the time. I wasn't sure why that was, but, now, I see that Marty was a good guy and talented and like family to a lot of those people.  Now I get it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
On 9/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, Dandesun said:

They collaborated on some songs. George showed up in at least one of Gill's music videos [...] one of the scenes ...is George parodying the story of him driving to a liquor store on his lawnmower because Tammy had hidden the keys to all their various cars.

The song is "One More 'Last Chance' " ("Well, she might've took my car keys/But she forgot about my old John Deere").  The coda to the vid features George and Vince waving as they pass each other on their respective tractors, calling out their respective nicknames ("Hey, Fox!").

14 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I thought the episode title was some quaint phrase about dried grapes, and I couldn't fathom what it meant.

"Don't get above your raisin's" -- the dried grape in question stems from (sorry!) "raised": how you were raised, or brought up.  As in: don't let success & the Big City make you forget the family and the small town you left behind, and the values you were taught as a child.  (I chuckled over this title -- it was a twist on something that a family friend would tease me with every time I left home for school/work/other: "Act like you got some raisin's!").

Yay for George's "Amarillo by Morning"; it's been a favorite since the first time I heard it.  And delighted Nanci Griffith was included!  "Late Night Grande Hotel" is one of the most perfect albums ever.

Most egregious oversight?  My favorite country song: "You Never Even Called Me By My Name".  It was the most-played song on the jukebox in the dive bar of the small college town where I did my undergrad.  We'd shout the lines of the 3rd verse, right along with David Allan Coe, as he sang the 'perfect country song' ("Well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison/And I went to pick her up in the raaaaaain...")

<sighs with fond nostalgia>

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Sharp observation.  I hadn't thought about it until reading your post, but you're absolutely right.  Glad they paid homage to those folks as well as "the talent".

• Love 4

To the person above who mentioned her--it's actually Kathy Mattea, with an "a". As a fellow female alto, I've always been a big fan of hers in particular. I still haven't started watching yet, so I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but even with "Where've You Been?" as part of her discography, there are probably still many who consider this to be her signature song, which went to number one on the country charts in 1988. And check out that big curly country hair in the video! 😄

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Before, the last episode, without reading anything at all, I told my mom what I expected to see and I was pretty close. I really enjoyed hearing Marty talk a lot. Although, he's from MS and not my state (NC), he sure sounds like a lot of guys from around here. It's amazing. I feel like I've known him my entire life. lol   Years ago, Marty was on all the country awards shows, tributes, etc all the time. I wasn't sure why that was, but, now, I see that Marty was a good guy and talented and like family to a lot of those people.  Now I get it. 

Marty Stuart used to be the President of the Country Music Foundation, and he is as big a historian on the genre as any other country musician out there (he and Dwight Yoakam both, really). And of course, his wife is the wonderful Country Music Hall of Famer Connie Smith. I got to see her perform when I went to the Grand Ole Opry last year--her, Jeannie Seely, Bobby Bare, and The Whites, all in one night! I still can't believe it. 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, UYI said:

To the person above who mentioned her--it's actually Kathy Mattea, with an "a". As a fellow female alto, I've always been a big fan of hers in particular. I still haven't started watching yet, sop I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but even with "Where've You Been?" as part of her discography, there are probably still many who consider this to be her signature song, which went to number one on the country charts in 1988. And check out that big curly country hair in the video! 😄

Sorry I spelled Kathy Mattea's name wrong.  I spelled Dwight Yoakam's name wrong too.

That's a pretty song.  I was just terrified the truck driver was going to die before he got home, so I'm relieved it has a happy ending.

6 hours ago, UYI said:

I am sad that the cut off date on this meant the controversy/de facto banning of the Dixie Chicks in 2003 would go completely unmentioned. That is probably the industry's biggest black mark against it, and probably led--intentionally or not--to the decline of women on country radio that continues to the present day. It deserves to be dissected, every part of it, no matter how ugly it got. And it got VERY ugly, indeed. 

It WAS very ugly and it was damn shame too.  I think banishing the Dixie Chicks was a huge mistake on the part of country music.  They were shaking things up and giving women singers a new voice.  Not to mention that Natalie had a CRAZY voice.   And she was RIGHT.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, mightysparrow said:

That's a pretty song.  I was just terrified the truck driver was going to die before he got home, so I'm relieved it has a happy ending.

Me too!! I was relieved that everything turned out ok for him 😊  Video & song were really good.

• Love 2

I wish that I had gone to see more country artists  live, when I had the chance. I did see Conway Twitty, Tanya Tucker, Marie Osmond ( she was country back then with Paper Roses and Meet Me In Montana), Clint Black, Aaron Tippen, Billy Dean, Travis Tritt, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith and the DIXIE CHIX! lol 

• Love 4
On 9/27/2019 at 11:56 AM, UYI said:

Trying not to get too worked about the people not as familiar here with Dwight Yoakam, though, lol. The King of Country Cool as far as I'm concerned.

I knew of him, but hadn't heard a lot of his music until a friend got me to go with her to see him in Bakersfield at the Buck Owens Crystal Palace (which is an AMAZING place). This was quid pro quo because I've dragged her to many Mavericks shows over the years. Anyway, he puts on a fantastic show. Even if you're indifferent to country music generally, you'll have a great time. 

The Mavericks are even better live, and well worth seeking out. Country mixed with Latin and all fun, all the time.

• Love 3

Loved the series.  I’m not a “ new” country fan but grew up listening to country station WHN in NYC. Also just took a trip to Nashville a few weeks ago so I was geared up for the show.

While there we saw an Opry Classics show at the Ryman hosted by Larry Gatling. One surprise was that they introduced Randy Travis who came out on stage. He’s suffered a stroke but was able to walk with a cane and wave to the crowd.

Question: Did I miss the Dixie Chicks? Don’t recall seeing them.

• Love 1

I'm watching the Yankees/Rangers baseball game in Arlington, TX and Charley Pride just sang "God Bless America" during the 7th innng stretch.  Nice surprise! His voice sounded strong and true. I was curious so I Googled and it turns out that Charley owns a small stake in the Rangers, but of course, as we learned during Country Music, he played some pro ball in the 1950s. 

In case anyone is interested, here is the Sports Illustrated article I read from 2018 that talks about Charley's days in pro ball.
How Charley Pride Went From Negro League Ballplayer to Country Music's Jackie Robinson

Edited by ProudMary
For clarity, I'm not AT the game. I'm watching it online.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

If anything I think this documentary will get people talking about their favorite artists, their favorite memories and spark some people to share the artists that weren't featured as much and maybe, just maybe, get them the attention they deserve. Social Media is a great tool to get the word out.

As for the documentary, I am going to be a weird fan girl and say I was thrilled they mentioned Reba Mcintire's brothers, even if they didn't name them...Pake had a couple of great albums in the 86-89 time frame. I loved "Saving My Love For You" but I think Garth outshadowed him and so many others by the end..Still that album is on You Tube...not sure why I liked it but I really did..and it sparked me to listen to Country Radio non stop for about two years...and then I discovered the Kingston Trio on an oldies station and that was that, I had no other interest for close to ten years...

• Love 2

I've really enjoyed this - have made it to the halfway point of the 7th part.  I've always been a casual fan of country music.  (I love almost all types of music - I can go on a long road trip and listen to Nat King Cole, then Queen, move onto Linda Ronstadt, maybe some Dixie Chicks, practice my French with Edith Piaf, and finish up with Harry Chapin.)   But I knew nothing about the history of country music, so that's been fascinating.   

So many of these people had such hard lives - growing up in poverty, drug issues, failed marriages, and more.  A lot of great music came out of that.  Think of Waylon Jennings and how haunted he was by the plane crash he missed by giving up his seat to J.P. Richardson and by the joking remark he made to Buddy Holly about the plane crashing.  

• Love 8
On 9/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, mightysparrow said:

There are so many times when I find myself thinking, 'I didn't know that'.  I'm more familiar with Kristofferson as an actor than a singer/songwriter, even though I knew he wrote 'Me and Bobby McGee' and several others.  I had no idea he wrote one of my favourite songs 'For the Good Times'. 

That letter Kristopherson's mother wrote was BRUTAL.  I hope they made up when he started to be successful because no one should have to live with that hanging over their heads.  I laughed a bit when Kris said that he never had to worry about finding work after his appearance on the Johnny Cash Show.  That shirtless photo (a bit gratuitous) showed us why.  America took one look at Kris and fell in love!  It didn't hurt that he was a brilliant songwriter either.

The Vietnam era stories were interesting.  I sympathize with the woman who lost two sons but can't believe she would continue to support that completely unnecessary war that took both of her children from her.  Especially since the war preyed on poor White and Black young men to keep it going.

It's interesting that Merle Haggard wrote 'Okie from Muskokie' as a joke because a lot of people took him completely seriously.  Things might be a bit different if he'd admitted he was kidding at the time but I guess too much money was rolling in.

There was a lot of Johnny Cash but it seemed that he was so important and you can't tell the story of country music without him.  I loved seeing him and Bob Dylan playing together.  I think Bob Dylan is one of the most important musicians of the 20th century so I'm happy he's a part of this.

It was nice to see Glen Campbell again.  The line, 'I need you more than want you.  And I want you for all time' is one of the most beautiful lines in modern music.  I wept when he died, especially because I had seen the documentary about his fight against Alzheimer's. 

There are so many other artists that got overlooked but, like someone said, if you included everything this would be a year long show.

I don't think I'm going to be as interested in the next episode because modern country music doesn't interest me very much but Ken Burns has proven me wrong before. 

That woman defending the war in Vietnam and saying she told the person at the door that if he came back she was going to shoot him, as well as Waylon's song Okie from Muskogee are what make us non southern/country music roots people think of some people as hillbillies and spineless lemmings .Both of those examples did country music people absolutely no favors and served to cement the stereotype. Disgusting woman and shame on Waylon for the hypocrisy and firing up the masses. Compare this to the singer ( I forgot his name) who was known to say racist things who wound up being lifelong friends with Charley Pride. That was touching.  Otherwise every one else has been fine as far as I can tell. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

That woman defending the war in Vietnam and saying she told the person at the door that if he came back she was going to shoot him, as well as Waylon's song Okie from Muskogee are what make us non southern/country music roots people think of some people as hillbillies and spineless lemmings .Both of those examples did country music people absolutely no favors and served to cement the stereotype. Disgusting woman

I never got the idea that she was defending the war in Vietnam. Rather, that she was offended by being asked to be a prop in an anti-war protest, while still in the midst of mourning her son.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

That woman defending the war in Vietnam and saying she told the person at the door that if he came back she was going to shoot him, as well as Waylon's song Okie from Muskogee are what make us non southern/country music roots people think of some people as hillbillies and spineless lemmings .Both of those examples did country music people absolutely no favors and served to cement the stereotype. Disgusting woman and shame on Waylon for the hypocrisy and firing up the masses. Compare this to the singer ( I forgot his name) who was known to say racist things who wound up being lifelong friends with Charley Pride. That was touching.  Otherwise every one else has been fine as far as I can tell. 

"Okie From Muskogee" is Merle Haggard's song. Please don't hang that on Waylon Jennings.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

"Okie From Muskogee" is Merle Haggard's song. Please don't hang that on Waylon Jennings.

Just about to say the same thing.  

I also think Jan Shepherd was not being pro-Vietnam War.  She just did not want people coming to her door asking her to join a protest when she was still grieving.

• Love 4
On 9/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, Dandesun said:

I have to agree. Johnny Cash transcended country music. I will say that I wish they had gone further with the bit about being dropped from Columbia because the Nashville establishment did that to a lot of country stars. Rick Rubin revitalizing Cash's career at the end was a huge thing but it also not a stand alone. Merle Haggard went with a punk label to do an album and actually made a vow on stage in the 90s (maybe?) to never sign with a Nashville label again. Jack White produced Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose' on Interscope Records which was definitely not known as a country label.

You had a very brief segment of George Strait, Reba, Alan Jackson and Randy Travis where they were called the 'new traditionalists' but it wasn't acknowledged that, at the time, Nashville was cutting out their actual long-term stars out. What about at the CMA awards in the 90s where George Jones was up for single of the year but they would only give him a minute to play and told him to abridge the song to fit. Jones refused to show up. So Alan Jackson interrupted his own performance to insert some of 'Choices' as a protest.

So with all of that, showing Cash's resurgence is an important part of the story. Plus, it doesn't matter how many times I hear his version of 'Hurt' -- it guts me every time.

Meanwhile, 'Friends in Low Places' I call 'That Fucking Song' because when I was in college, in Kentucky, I couldn't escape it. My dorm shared a building with a frat house and it's all I heard. It was played at all the parties. It was played in the evening. When I came back between classes, there it was. When I woke up in the morning... THERE IT WAS. I can't stand Garth Brooks but he was so huge he infiltrated everything. My sister got tickets to see him last year and when she came back she was all 'I am not a Garth Brooks fan but I knew every song he played.' I said 'I HATE Garth Brooks but I'd probably know every song he played, too. He was everywhere.'

Also, Vince Gill crying as he sang at George Jones' memorial will rip my heart out every. single. time. Sweetpea, indeed.

I agree with every word of your post. 

The first time I heard "Hurt" the hair on the back of my neck stood up.  A co-worker of mine was friends with the family of the drummer for Nine Inch Nails. Jerome.  One day she was talking on the phone to him and I barged into her office and demanded to know what Jerome thought of Cash's version of Hurt, which had just come out.  He responded that he was awestruck.

• Love 4

Vince Gill’s story about opening for KISS was so funny. I loved how Ricky Skaggs referred to Bill Monroe as Mr. Monroe. So sweet. I love Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, but I’m not a country fan. However, I adored this series. And I now have a crush on Marty Stuart...

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

I never got the idea that she was defending the war in Vietnam. Rather, that she was offended by being asked to be a prop in an anti-war protest, while still in the midst of mourning her son.

Mothers for Peace was a big movement at the time and some protest marches were entirely made up of mothers against the war.  Many mothers who had lost sons felt honored to head the march during the protests. 

They weren't used as "props" they were grown women with minds of their own who chose to relieve some of their anger over the waste of their sons' lives by protesting. 

The person who asked her to join them was offering her a chance to express her grief in a meaningful way that might save other young men's lives.  She clearly, both then and now, chooses to direct her anger at the people who were trying to end the war , rather than at the politicians who were deliberately extending the war, and using the lives of young men like her son, to further their political agenda.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

She clearly, both then and now, chooses to direct her anger at the people who were trying to end the war , rather than at the politicians who were deliberately extending the war, and using the lives of young men like her son, to further their political agenda.

Fair enough.

But I'm not gonna pass judgement on a woman who lost two sons (one directly, one indirectly) from that war.  Or label her as "disgusting".

• Love 8
23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Compare this to the singer ( I forgot his name) who was known to say racist things who wound up being lifelong friends with Charley Pride. That was touching.

That was Faron Young, who was a big star at the time, and yes, a casual racist.  (By that, I mean the kind of person who says and does racist things just as a matter of everyday life, rather than making a statement like burning crosses and such.)  And yet he clearly respected talent.  I suppose if Charley Pride hadn't been extremely talented, their meeting would've ended differently, but thank goodness it didn't.  I love Charley Pride's version of Help Me Make It Through The Night.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

They weren't used as "props" they were grown women with minds of their own who chose to relieve some of their anger over the waste of their sons' lives by protesting. 

Perhaps not, but she may have felt that way.  And she may not have agreed that she was being offered a chance to express her grief meaningfully.  She had a right to express her grief differently, in a way that felt meaningful to her, and to not want people bothering her about it.  That's how I took her story.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

She had a right to express her grief differently, in a way that felt meaningful to her, and to not want people bothering her about it.

Sure, I agree with that. But from her own story it sounded like she was only bothered about it one time and all she had to do was say, "No. That's not for me."  It was the vicious anger even up till the present that I don't get.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Fair enough.

But I'm not gonna pass judgement on a woman who lost two sons (one directly, one indirectly) from that war.  Or label her as "disgusting".

I didn't call anyone disgusting and I certainly haven't passed judgement on her.  I don't care what her decision was other than to wonder why, after all this time, she's still ready to kill anyone who just mentions protesting.

The anger from right wing war hawks against the protesters was chilling.  They were mainly just young college kids  who didn't want themselves or their friends to be used as cannon fodder  in a war they knew could not be won. Evidently that hatred is still alive and well in some people.

58,220 American soldiers were killed In Vietnam and most of them were drafted against their will.  I can't blame any young man at the time for protesting.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Sure, I agree with that. But from her own story it sounded like she was only bothered about it one time and all she had to do was say, "No. That's not for me."  It was the vicious anger even up till the present that I don't get.

Grief is a very individual thing.  If she felt hers had been intruded upon by complete strangers, her reaction was out-sized but maybe understandable to a certain extent.  And she was blaming him for protesting, she even said that her son had died for his right to do so; it was his presumption to intrude on her grief which riled her up.

I can't say I'd have reacted that way, or still feel it that strongly so many years later, but I'm not going to criticize someone who does.

4 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

she's still ready to kill anyone who just mentions protesting.

He did more than just mention protesting.  Yes, her reaction was rather much, but she didn't run into him in public somewhere.  He came to her home and intruded on her grief.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Every single artist featured in Country Music has experienced a significant sales bump in their recording catalog. Evidently something similar occurs during/after the airing of all Ken Burns documentaries. I'm thrilled to see so many people "discovered" Emmylou Harris! 

The Ken Burns Effect: How ‘Country Music’ Doc Surged Sales for Country Legends

I'm happy for them but sad for the ones who just missed it.

Like this, I found the other day, of Alan Jackson at George Jones's funeral 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjpbqowX3Y

• Love 1