Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music - General Discussion

UYI
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, ninjago said:

Johnny Cash's voice never appealed to me.  I think maybe it was too deep for my taste.

My dad had a wildly deep voice.  

And I like Johnny Cash's voice just fine but when they did Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, it just sounded really off to me.   Then I realized it was a lower song in my head... because it was one of the songs my dad sang and apparently he was lower than Johnny Cash.   

Add me to the list of "I don't know this Hawkshaw Hawkins but this is not going to end well." as they started the story leading up to the plane crash.

• Love 3
On 9/16/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bastet said:

My primary concern coming into this was that it might idealize country music as "America's music/something for everyone/made by and for those left out," giving lip service to how it was "influenced by" black music without addressing the degree to which it was and is exclusionary, sometimes outright hostile, to blacks, other people of color, women, non-Christians, and the LGBT community (this is true of many genres, but has been a particular problem in country).  The first episode made me feel both better and worse about that fear.

IN other words, you were scared it wouldn't demonize poor White people as overprivileged monsters who only should remembered as evil oppressors of Blacks and Gays?

• Love 4

Marty Stuart is a great entertainer.   He organized a charity concert at the Ryman this past June.  (Apparently, he's done it for several years.) One of the best live shows I've ever attended.  Some of the artists:  Old Crowe Medicine Show, Dierks Bentley, Sheryl Crow, Tyler Childers, Ricky Skaggs,  Steve Miller,...plus many more bluegrass and Americana artists.  Almost 4 hours....and I would have stayed a few more hours.  Lots of stories as well as music.  I figured he would be great on this documentary.

• Love 6

I'm loving this series. I'd forgotten so many of these songs and it also reminds me how annoying it is country stations don't play the classics any more. Growing up our local radio station played classic country on Sunday, so I associate Patsy Cline and Hank Williams with church. In the early 2000s when I moved to Denver they had a station devoted to country from the 40s through 80s, then it got replaced with a talk radio station.  It's like country radio tries to forget the past.

Glad this will be back on Sunday. Look forward to seeing Charlie Pride after his episode of American Masters last year. He had a really full life.

• Love 7

I'm enjoying this series and learning so many interesting things (e g., I Walk The Line written for the first Mrs Cash, who else was on that plane with Patsy, Roger Miller discovering the plane, etc). Marty Stuart is a great storyteller. I love his segments. I'm not a real deal country music fan but I do love the music of Patsy, Brenda Lee & Vince Gill.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

IN other words, you were scared it wouldn't demonize poor White people as overprivileged monsters who only should remembered as evil oppressors of Blacks and Gays?

The people who have kept the African Americans and the LGBTQ community out of country music are not the poor white performers who profited off country music it is the wealthy white businessmen who used poor white people to make their buck.   They used poor white people to make their buck.  Not just their artists, either.  They manipulated the audience of often poor white people into thinking the artists were one thing when in reality they'd often been packaged by executives who felt a particular look would sell, weather that was authentic to the entertainer or not.  

In general (but not always) the poor white performers showcased aren't' the ones keeping others out of country music.  They're too busy on their own hustle but the people who determined what sound was appropriate?  

That doesn't change the fact that like every single episode at least once the story has gone, "And they listened to these black performers and emulated them and had a huge hit"... every single episode.  So it isn't like the poor white artists were entirely blameless, either.  
We haven't heard the story where any one of these artists said, "Oh, if you like this you should go down to this place and sign these guys... I got all my best stuff from them."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

The people who have kept the African Americans and the LGBTQ community out of country music are not the poor white performers who profited off country music it is the wealthy white businessmen who used poor white people to make their buck.   They used poor white people to make their buck. .....In general (but not always) the poor white performers showcased aren't' the ones keeping others out of country music.  They're too busy on their own hustle but the people who determined what sound was appropriate?  

That doesn't change the fact that like every single episode at least once the story has gone, "And they listened to these black performers and emulated them and had a huge hit"... every single episode.  So it isn't like the poor white artists were entirely blameless, either.  We haven't heard the story where any one of these artists said, "Oh, if you like this you should go down to this place and sign these guys... I got all my best stuff from them."

Thank you for proving my point. Going by what I've seen on the program, they indeed DID do that, Black artists did indeed get recording contracts the entire time. But what you are complaining about is that the series isn't focusing on ONLY that. We're talking about a business in which 98% of those who try to get in fail an of the remaining two percent, more than half "get caught out on second."

You will also notice that there's not a focus on the salacious stuff. Yeah, some guy had 36 kids, The Carters had marriage problems and Johnny Cash did too, but that there's not any focus on "Hooray, so-and-so's GAY" stuff, is not any reason to criticize it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

You will also notice that there's not a focus on the salacious stuff. Yeah, some guy had 36 kids, The Carters had marriage problems and Johnny Cash did too, but that there's not any focus on "Hooray, so-and-so's GAY" stuff, is not any reason to criticize it.

I was sitting remembering some random woman getting in June Carter's face over her getting divorced in the Johnny Cash biopic Walk The Line when the story of her aunt's and other stars divorces were being told.

By the end of the 1953-1963 episode where the narrator talked Country was losing market share also had me flashing to Muddy Waters in Cadillac Records and some other show where he hit the end of being a pop star and his kids were asking why can't he be like Chuck Berry. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

But what you are complaining about is that the series isn't focusing on ONLY that. We're talking about a business in which 98% of those who try to get in fail an of the remaining two percent, more than half "get caught out on second."

I'm not the person your original response was to so I wasn't complaining that.  Moreover I don't think that person was complaining about that either but they'll have to speak for themselves.

• Love 1

I also learned that the Cash biopic (Walk the Line) was even more inaccurate than I thought.

Since I have PBS Passport, I am about about 1/3 of the way through episode 7.  Will watch the rest of that episode tonight.  However, I won't comment until next week when everyone has had a chance to see the entire documentary.

Once again, Ken Burns does not disappoint. This is a wonderful documentary.

I agree with those who've said that Marty Stuart is a great storyteller but I'm also thoroughly enjoying Merle Haggard's segments giving the west coast perspective. And I think special mention has to be given to Ray Benson who's been informative and--as he is on stage--very entertaining.

I'm sorry there was a three day break in between episodes 4 and 5. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

I only wish my Mom were still alive so I could share this with her. She grew up in NJ just across the Hudson River from Manhattan; certainly not someplace you'd consider a hotbed for Country Music but as a youngster in the late 1920s and 1930s, she faithfully listened to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio with her mother and sisters. One of her favorites was Elton Britt who did receive a small shout-out and a song snippet here in Burns' documentary. Her all-time favorite came a bit later with her love for Eddy Arnold. Our home was full of Eddy Arnold's recordings. I knew all those songs from the documentary and scores more.

Then, in 1973, radio station WHN in New York switched its format to country and my Mom became one of their earliest listeners. Until watching Country Music this week, I had no idea that WHN had actually employed a country format back in the 1930s! While I was always a rock and roll kid growing up with all the great music of the sixties and seventies, listening to country music with my Mom opened a whole new and wonderful genre for me. Together we enjoyed many artists. Waylon was at the top of both of our lists and we saw him live twice. (Many others too!)  She would have loved this series.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, bybrandy said:

The people who have kept the African Americans and the LGBTQ community out of country music are not the poor white performers who profited off country music it is the wealthy white businessmen who used poor white people to make their buck.   They used poor white people to make their buck.  Not just their artists, either.  They manipulated the audience of often poor white people into thinking the artists were one thing when in reality they'd often been packaged by executives who felt a particular look would sell, weather that was authentic to the entertainer or not.  

In general (but not always) the poor white performers showcased aren't' the ones keeping others out of country music.  They're too busy on their own hustle but the people who determined what sound was appropriate?  

That doesn't change the fact that like every single episode at least once the story has gone, "And they listened to these black performers and emulated them and had a huge hit"... every single episode.  So it isn't like the poor white artists were entirely blameless, either.  
We haven't heard the story where any one of these artists said, "Oh, if you like this you should go down to this place and sign these guys... I got all my best stuff from them."

It's not only that they listened to Black performers.  Many of country music's greatest stars, like Hank Williams and the Carter family,  learned how to play from Black artists.  Hank Williams Jr., who will never win an NAACP award, found the grave of the man who taught his father to play and paid for it's tombstone. 

I can understand how some people would be upset by this information because it takes away the idea that country is 'White man's music' that a lot of people seem to really cling to.  Country music is AMERICAN music and you can't have American music without Black influence, no matter how hard some people try to whitewash it. 

The really amusing thing is that the country artists being interviewed have no problem at all giving credit to Black artists.  So it's not coming from the people who MAKE the music.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Once again, Ken Burns does not disappoint. This is a wonderful documentary.

I agree with those who've said that Marty Stuart is a great storyteller but I'm also thoroughly enjoying Merle Haggard's segments giving the west coast perspective. And I think special mention has to be given to Ray Benson who's been informative and--as he is on stage--very entertaining.

I'm sorry there was a three day break in between episodes 4 and 5. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

I only wish my Mom were still alive so I could share this with her. She grew up in NJ just across the Hudson River from Manhattan; certainly not someplace you'd consider a hotbed for Country Music but as a youngster in the late 1920s and 1930s, she faithfully listened to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio with her mother and sisters. One of her favorites was Elton Britt who did receive a small shout-out and a song snippet here in Burns' documentary. Her all-time favorite came a bit later with her love for Eddy Arnold. Our home was full of Eddy Arnold's recordings. I knew all those songs from the documentary and scores more.

Then, in 1973, radio station WHN in New York switched its format to country and my Mom became one of their earliest listeners. Until watching Country Music this week, I had no idea that WHN had actually employed a country format back in the 1930s! While I was always a rock and roll kid growing up with all the great music of the sixties and seventies, listening to country music with my Mom opened a whole new and wonderful genre for me. Together we enjoyed many artists. Waylon was at the top of both of our lists and we saw him live twice. (Many others too!)  She would have loved this series.

You reminded me of my mom who was Caribbean born and bred and studied opera as a young woman, although there wasn't much chance of a poor Black woman from the West Indies becoming an opera singer.  My school teachers always thought I was some sort of musical prodigy because they'd hear me singing arias to myself, until they found out that I was just repeating the music I heard Mother singing around the house.

My mother was a ride or die 'Hee Haw' fan.  That was must-see tv at our house and the whole family gathered to watch.  One of her favourite things was 'picking and grinning'.  Even back then I knew the show was pretty corny, but there were still performances that I've never forgotten.  I have Roy Clarke singing 'Yesterday When I Was Young' on my ipod.  'For the Good Times' is one of my all-time favourite songs.  For the longest time, I thought Ray Price was Black until I saw him on Hee Haw.

Somewhere in the house is a signed copy of Charlie Farquarson's book.  Mother thought he was hysterical and he was a special favourite because he's Canadian.  When she met him at a book signing, mother leaned over and loudly said 'HEE HAW'.  I prayed for death to come and take me away but he just laughed.  I'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd heard it that day.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

You reminded me of my mom who was Caribbean born and bred and studied opera as a young woman, although there wasn't much chance of a poor Black woman from the West Indies becoming an opera singer.  My school teachers always thought I was some sort of musical prodigy because they'd hear me singing arias to myself, until they found out that I was just repeating the music I heard Mother singing around the house.

My mother was a ride or die 'Hee Haw' fan.  That was must-see tv at our house and the whole family gathered to watch.  One of her favourite things was 'picking and grinning'.  Even back then I knew the show was pretty corny, but there were still performances that I've never forgotten.  I have Roy Clarke singing 'Yesterday When I Was Young' on my ipod.  'For the Good Times' is one of my all-time favourite songs.  For the longest time, I thought Ray Price was Black until I saw him on Hee Haw.

Somewhere in the house is a signed copy of Charlie Farquarson's book.  Mother thought he was hysterical and he was a special favourite because he's Canadian.  When she met him at a book signing, mother leaned over and loudly said 'HEE HAW'.  I prayed for death to come and take me away but he just laughed.  I'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd heard it that day.

😂

I love this entire post. I think your mother and mine might have been kindred spirits.  My mother also adored opera. She had a ton of opera recordings. In my house, you'd just as likely hear Puccini as well as those Eddy Arnold records and throw in some Benny Goodman or Count Basie! 

I pretty much refused to watch the comedic parts of Hee Haw, but I'd pop my head into the living room for the musical segments. Roy Clark was an amazing musician. I'm sure that Hee Haw will be somehow included in one of the upcoming Country Music episodes, probably along with Johnny Cash's television program and also Glen Campbell's. 

• Love 6
On 9/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, crystalball said:

I am a foul-weather fan when it comes to country music (have to be in the right, usually blue, mood to enjoy it - bring on the pain songs!) and I am still loving this series. Very interesting and entertaining, too. I’m on vacation tomorrow and intend to spend a whole lotta time binging the last four eps via Passport.

The companion concert was really well done, both in planning and in the performances. Amid all that impressive talent, Vince Gill was the MVP for me. His performance of I Will Always Love you made me cry.

Love Vince Gill.  It was Vince that brought me to country music in the early 90s.   Saw him on an award show and fell in love with his voice--and he was so beautiful--lol.   Saw him in concert  2 yrs. ago and he played for 2 1/2 hrs.  Such a fabulous show.  Will be seeing him again on 10/9. 

This documentary is wonderful.  My dad played steel guitar in a country group in the 50s and 60s, so I know many of the songs because his group play them so often.  I have a picture of dad (and a couple of the band members) with the Carter sisters--apparently they played at the same venue somewhere here in Baltimore--each of the sister autographed the picture.  I treasure it all the more after watching this series.   I don't know if this is true, but my mom told me that Little Jimmy Dickens invited dad to come to Nashville. This likely was just an casual invitation, i.e., "you know you should come to Nashville," but I often wonder what might have happened if dad had taken it to heart instead of staying put.   

• Love 6

I was scrolling through radio stations in the car on my way home from work, back in the early 90's, when I heard a beautiful voice singing. That was my introduction to Vince Gill and the good stuff that country music also offers. He was singing, When I Call Your Name. 

• Love 5

Unless I missed it (because there were times I was doing other stuff), they didn't mention Connie B. Gay, who brought country music to the DC area in the 50s and 60s, and gave DC the name "Nashville North." 

I used to love Jimmy Dean.  In the late 50s, he used to host a Saturday night tv show in DC called Town and Country Time Jamboree.  My mom used to let us kids stay up late on Saturday night to watch the show.  One of the sponsors was Gunther Beer.  Jimmy Dean would take a break from playing the piano and when he came back he would start whooping, so we figured he went backstage to drink beer.   

Fun times.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

In the late 50s, he used to host a Saturday night tv show in DC called Town and Country Time Jamboree.  My mom used to let us kids stay up late on Saturday night to watch the show.  One of the sponsors was Gunther Beer.  Jimmy Dean would take a break from playing the piano and when he came back he would start whooping, so we figured he went backstage to drink beer.   

Fun times.

Did you also watch the Red Foley Show?  I'm from NY and whenever Red's dancers came out and started clogging, I thought they were tap dancing/square dancing at the same time. Never heard the word "clogging" until I moved to Raleigh in the late 70's. Who knew????

• LOL 1
56 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did you also watch the Red Foley Show?  I'm from NY and whenever Red's dancers came out and started clogging, I thought they were tap dancing/square dancing at the same time. Never heard the word "clogging" until I moved to Raleigh in the late 70's. Who knew????

I remember seeing Red Foley, I don't know whether it was on his show or on someone else's.

On 9/19/2019 at 1:47 AM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Thank goodness the PBS Website is making the next four episodes members-only, otherwise I'd be up for the next eight hours. I am totally riveted by this series!

I'm also far from what you'd call a country fan, but almost everything that's been played makes me want to hunt down all the music. And buy vinyl singles even without a record player (hee). Ugh, I may have to open a spotify account.

Hearing some of the "classic" songs in context makes me appreciate them all the more, even over my computer's speakers.

There's also another documentary series --American Epic, I think --that's being aired on PBS this week. That should help tide me over until episode 5 runs!

What?! I'm pretty sure my dvr is recording the rest and I'm not a member, how would your tv know that?

Tonight's episode (Ep. 5-1963-1968) was almost perfect. 

Loved that there was such an intensive piece on the great Nashville session musicians like Charlie McCoy, Floyd Cramer, Grady Martin et. al.  Well deserved.

I thought the Merle Haggard section was great. I loved Emmylou Harris saying that if you want to know what Country Music is just pick up a Haggard album, any one. and lay the needle down on any track.  There's your start.  And Dwight Yoakum getting completely choked up by Haggard's lyrics; that was quite a moment. I wonder if Yoakum's interview spots were taped not long after Haggard's death. Overall, that was a standout piece.

The Charley Pride segment was also very good. He looked and sounded great in the present-day interviews! He's in his mid-80s now. 

The women! All the segments were so well done. I loved Jack White's and Elvis Costello's respect for Loretta Lynn as a songwriter. I had no idea that Dolly Parton was on a local television show when she was 10! I'm going to have to re-watch the middle of the Connie Smith segment because our local PBS station lost the feed for about 3 minutes and they showed a test pattern. 😧 Mercifully, they made it back just in time for me to hear Marty Stuart's comments, which I was waiting for. Highlights on Jeannie Sealy, Bobbie Gentry, Jeannie C. Riley all great.

So, WHERE WAS TAMMY WYNETTE?!?!  If they just lump Tammy in with what I'm sure will be a big segment on George Jones, I'm going to be really ticked off.

My own personal highlight:  Larry Gatlin in for commentary!  One of my all time favorites.  I wasn't expecting that and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm betting he'll be back for commentary next episode when they cover Kris Kristofferson. I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow night. 😊

• Love 5

This is a great documentary. Ken Burns never disappoints.  I knew almost nothing about the history of country music so this is very educational.  I was familiar with the big names like Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, etc. without knowing much about their lives. I was shocked to learn Patsy Cline died so young and so tragically. What is it with singers dying in plane crashes?

I notice many of these male singers look middle-aged when they are barely out of their twenties.  Too much booze, cigarettes and hard living or did men just age faster then?

• Love 5

It was amazing to me how many country singers started out their lives in extreme poverty. Another thought from last night's episode:  Marty Stuart's story of meeting his future wife when he was just a little kid (& she an adult) was not easy to watch. Strange! But I've always liked him and, heck, they're still married after many years. Gosh...I could watch little Brenda belt out "Dynamite" over & over. She should've been in musicals on Broadway with that voice.

• Love 5

I laughed and enjoyed telling my younger brother last night about Roger Miller and Buck Owens.  I was a little kid, but, knew most all the words to the Miller songs, like You Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd!  My mom owned the album and I played those songs like crazy.  Also, Bobby Vinton.  I loved the music so much, that my mom trusted me with her stereo!  Barely in school, but, I knew how to put albums on and play without harming records!  I took songs literally though and thought that Buck Owens really owned a tiger and that Roger Miller traveled in box cars.  lol 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I was able to be around Motown a bit after they moved to LA and they were doing the playback on car speakers in the studio like it is said that Buck Owens innovated with the Bakersfield Sound. However with James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt among others before the move they definitely did not demphasize the bass

Edited by Raja
59 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Every night I think, this episode probably wont be as good, and instead it's even better.  I've always been in love with Peter Coyote's voice, he could read me the phone book, now I'm also in love with Marty Stuart.   

I'm with you 100% on this, ma'am. 🙂

• Love 3

Was never a fan of Roger Miller's music or style, truly disliked Minnie Pearl and Johnny Cash had more songs I didn't like than those that I did.  I understand why they interviewed Roseanne Cash but would have preferred Rodney Crowell music. 

On the other hand, always thought Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson were wonderful.  Willie is probably the reason I developed an interest in the country genre in the first place. 

I now have a new respect for Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton is a hoot.  Both ladies are oh so talented.  

All in all this series is wonderful.  I'll be sorry when it ends. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Still don't understand why there was no mention of Jimmy Dean.  After all, he had a country music career long before starting the sausage company.

Yes, considering they spent quite a bit of time on the Beatles' cover of 'Act Naturally' and the use of The Lovin' Spoonful's 'Nashville Cats', Dean and Burle Ives should have been included. They had big crossover hits, although they were really better known as actors to most.

I always conflate Dolly and Loretta's back stories, and this episode reminded me that Dolly actually pulled her family out of poverty early in her life. I was also surprised at how (relatively) plain Dolly was in youth; by the time she started stage performances, she was amazingly beautiful.

The story of Charley Pride's introduction to the audience (revealing his race for the first time publicly) was interesting. The description of the crowd applauding enthusiastically at first, then dying away as they got a look reminded me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where the town first meets the new sheriff:

New Sheriff in Town

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, considering they spent quite a bit of time on the Beatles' cover of 'Act Naturally' and the use of The Lovin' Spoonful's 'Nashville Cats', Dean and Burle Ives should have been included. They had big crossover hits, although they were really better known as actors to most.

Yes, I forgot about Burl Ives.  Another one whose voice I just loved.

One of the reasons I'm scratching my head over them leaving out Jimmy Dean is when they discussed the live jamboree shows in places like Chicago, Nashville, etc.  Well, there was one in DC every Saturday night at Turner's arena, and was very popular in the DC area.  Of course, I was a kid so I wasn't there, but I have a feeling that fights broke out and Gunther beer bottles were thrown, lol.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I like Marty Stuart's commentary but he looks like he crawled out of a casket.

LOL  I think he looks like the flamboyant, revival  preacher conducting the funeral.

I admire the fact that he married a woman he fell for as a kid who is 17 years older than he is.

I'm not giving up hope on the ones they haven't mentioned yet.  Surely they'll get to Conway Twitty, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Burl Ives Tennesee Ernie Ford, and all the ones I can't think of right now.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

A couple of other omissions (again, as not-a-country-fan) that I remember hearing a lot in the 60's: Billy Joe Royal and Johnny Rivers.

I know they can't cover everything, and that different artists are important to different communities, but I honestly never heard of Connie Smith, and didn't hear them define what made her significant (other than being married to Marty Stuart).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

LOL  I think he looks like the flamboyant, revival  preacher conducting the funeral.

I admire the fact that he married a woman he fell for as a kid who is 17 years older than he is.

I'm not giving up hope on the ones they haven't mentioned yet.  Surely they'll get to Conway Twitty, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Burl Ives Tennesee Ernie Ford, and all the ones I can't think of right now.

I'm definitely not giving up hope either; Ken Burns has done a wonderful job here and I'm sure I won't ultimately be disappointed.  I just feel that Tammy Wynette should have been included in the segment on the great women in Country of that era, especially since Loretta and Dolly were highlighted. Tammy is the third member of that "Holy Trinity" of Country Music and it seemed to me that she should have been included in that episode as a solo artist. 

While I want Tammy to be given her own segment and not just be part of the one for George Jones, I really do hope that the documentary somehow highlights all the duets that country music has produced. I don't mean true duos like Brooks & Dunn, Montgomery/Gentry, Sugarland, Big and Rich, et. al.  While those acts should be mentioned, I'm talking about artists that had their own successful individual careers but then teamed up.  Duos like George Jones and Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash and June Carter, Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn, Kenny Rogers and Dottie West, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, Willie and Merle Haggard, Marty Stuart and Travis Tritt, Rodney Crowell and EmmyLou Harris. And then, of course, not a duo but perhaps the greatest collaboration of individual superstars, The Highwaymen. (Waylon, Willie, Cash, Kristofferson.)

35 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

A couple of other omissions (again, as not-a-country-fan) that I remember hearing a lot in the 60's: Billy Joe Royal and Johnny Rivers.

I know they can't cover everything, and that different artists are important to different communities, but I honestly never heard of Connie Smith, and didn't hear them define what made her significant (other than being married to Marty Stuart).

Connie Smith had many hits particularly in the 1960s and 1970s. For the purposes of this documentary, there has been a lot of concentration on the Grand Ole Opry (and rightly so.) Connie Smith is a BELOVED Opry member and has been for 50+ years. I just checked the schedule. She's actually performing at the Opry tomorrow night. 🙂 I'm sure that her longevity is a big part of why she was featured. I saw her perform at the Opry about a dozen years ago. She was great and had wonderful rapport with the audience.

If I may go just slightly off-topic for a moment for an interesting piece of trivia that may not make it into the documentary:  Before he was married to Connie Smith, Marty Stuart was married to Cindy Cash, one of Johnny Cash's daughters.  Johnny used to joke that he could make a helluva band just from his sons-in-law. While Stuart was married to Cash, Johnny's daughter Roseanne--who's been featured prominently in the documentary for her commentary but is a successful artist in her own right--was married to singer/songwriter Rodney Crowell, who has also appeared in the documentary and I'm sure will be featured in one of the later episodes. And, during the same time frame, June's daughter, singer Carlene Carter, who's also done commentary for the doc, was married to British singer/songwriter/producer Nick Lowe.  All three marriages ultimately ended in divorce but, for a while there, Johnny was right about that potential band!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ahem...yes! It sure did feel like a JC bio.

I don't necessarily disagree with this assessment and I suppose you could say the same thing about the Hank Williams' segment(s) and the Jimmie Rogers' segment(s) but like those two, Johnny Cash is at the Mount Rushmore level of country music.

I'm fairly certain that we're not finished with the coverage of Johnny Cash in the documentary either as unlike Rogers and Williams, Cash lived a long life and his hits continued for decades, right up to his amazing recordings with producer Rick Rubin as he reached the end of his life.

American music giants, all three.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Just a quick look at Tammy Wynette's wiki page has the sub heading "On Top" starting in 1968-1979. So I guess Monday night's episode will see how the doc handles her.

I took a look at the TV listings for tomorrow night's Country Music episode and there was a big solo photo of Tammy. I think I can relax!  The funny thing is that from the description of the episode, there should be a big solo photo of Waylon Jennings, whom I'm probably waiting for more than any other artist. I guess they can make it fit well. Tammy Wynette's music epitomized the "Nashville Sound" with strings and smooth backing vocals. That was exactly the style that Waylon is famous for rebelling against and why he turned his back on Nashville. I guess they'll compare and contrast. I loved 'em both!

Here's the info for tomorrow's (Tuesday's) episode:

Country Music

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? (1973-1983)
SEASON 1, EPISODE 7 • NEW

Mainstream crossovers and a new "Outlaw" sound are prevalent in country music during the years 1973-1983.

• Love 3

Billy Joe Royal and Johnny Rivers are probably considered too far into the pop genre to be included in this documentary.

I know some of our favorites wont be included...impossible to feature them all.  While I like Johnny Cash's music overall, I think they could have skipped a couple of the side clips (him singing that awful duet with Bob Dylan, which they showed a couple of times would be on example) and offered at least brief mentions of other great artists.

One of my favorites was Don Williams.  His career spanned decades...with many successful singles and albums...and plenty of awards.  My theory they already had so many people from Texas highlighted, he fell in the cracks.  His duet with Emmylou - If I Needed You - was just remarkable -- two beautiful voices blending so well:  

Also loved his Good Ole Boys Like Me.

Another I wished had been mentioned more:  Patty Loveless.

But....they can't cover every artist.

But my absolute favorite - Waylon  --is getting his due.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 4

@sinycalone  I'd bet that Don Williams will get at least a mention, probably in tomorrow night's episode. His biggest hits were mid-1970s and we're not quite there yet. I loved his music too; the "Gentle Giant."

As we've already seen her as a commentator, I'm sure we'll be hearing about Emmylou Harris. What I've been wondering is if they'll touch at all on Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Country purists don't like to go there but that leads directly to Emmylou. They are going to be talking a bit about The Byrds recording in Nashville in tonight's episode, so there's definitely a chance for TFBB.

• Love 3

When I was quite young, there were some songs that were just HUGE in my community.  Even I knew every word. Songs like Harper Valley PTA....I thought Jeannie C. Riley was so beautiful.  Also, Ode To Billie Joe( Tallahachie Bridge)  Haunting....Bobbie Gentry. 

Another one of my mom's records that I loved was End of The World by Skeeter Davis. I particularly liked the female artists. 

• Love 5

Every night I keep saying, 'this is going to be my favourite episode'.  I can't see how Sunday's episode can be topped but I have faith in Ken Burns.

I agree with those that say there was too much Johnny Cash.  It was great hearing about his struggles and his music in the 60s but I wish more time could have been spent on artists that don't get that kind of attention. 

I liked the juxtaposition of Charley Pride's story with the women of country.   So many of the country artists that I like are women so it was interesting to hear that women didn't get the same kind of respect that the men did.  I was so angry for Jeannie Riley having her dress cut and being forced to wear go-go boots to accept her Grammy award.  How humiliating.  

I'm really glad that Charley Pride was given his due.  To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of his music but I respect the hell out of him.  I can't imagine receiving the reception he received in Detroit and being able to maintain his composure.  Isn't it interesting that that was in the North, in Mowtown?  The American South has a terrible (and well deserved) reputation for racism but most African-Americans that I know have told me that the north isn't better, just different.  I've always liked Loretta Lynn but I gained new respect for her when she told the story of refusing to step away from Charley Pride when she presented him his Grammy.  That's class AND courage.

And I didn't know Dolly Parton was a child performer.  She's so amazing and I hope we get to hear more from her.  And I'll my voice to those who hope that Tammy Wynette gets her due.  I'm hoping that we hear about her and George Jones but Tammy deserves to have HER story told.

Before this documentary, the only Merle Haggard song that I could name was 'Okie from Muscokie' which isn't one of my favourites.  Last night I just sat there thinking that I need to listen to more Merle Haggard.

I'm loving this so much and I'm so glad that Ken Burns chose country music.  His jazz documentary is one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen.  I don't think this one is as good but it's still pretty damn good.

• Love 5

Wow, I’m loving this documentary but if they included all the amazing artists I think this documentary would be 52 weeks.  I admire Dolly Parton for cutting the strings with Porter Waggoner but remaining professional with him.

• Love 7