Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

On 3/31/2019 at 10:27 PM, caitmcg said:

As for surprise multiple births, I have a younger friend (born in 1982) who is a fraternal twin, whose parents didn't know they were having twins until it happened. I assume they didn't have regular prenatal care, and that is why. (They went on to have a singleton and another set of twins in short order...five babies in three years.)

not necessarily. In 1982, ultrasounds were not a thing or not yet all over the place. My mom had twins in 1980. She only found out 2 weeks in advance because she was so large that the doctor ordered an x-ray--yes an x-ray. He never could hear 2 heartbeats. But there were 2 of them. My mom went home, woke up my dad (who was working nights so asleep during the day), handed him a glass of wine, said "drink this, you'll need it." and then told him we were going to be a family of 6 instead of 5. I also have a set of cousins (by marriage) born late 80s where they had no clue until they were born. The doctor was known for making jokes so when he said there was a 2nd one coming, everyone thought it was a joke. Now with ultrasounds and the doplar stuff for heartbeats it seems unlikely to happen.

Back to the show--I was so glad the triplet made it and I loved the dad going to her. That was so sweet. I didn't see why they wanted to burn those leather bags. Repurposing made more sense. And add me to the list of people who have never heard of or attended a teddy bear picnic but sounds like fun.

• Love 2
On 4/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, caitmcg said:

And yet, if it was possible to diagnose multiples, regardless of technology, it would have better served their patients' needs to learn in advance that they would be parenting two (or possibly more) newborns, so they could prepare.

I did know a set of triplets my age who were not a surprise in the late '60s.

so true. My parents had to scramble to get a second set of so many baby supplies. Luckily a lot of people let us borrow theirs. The nice person who knitted a Christmas stocking for the expected singleton, knitted a second one. 🙂

On 4/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, izabella said:

Xray to see the babies?!  Wow.  They make you put a lead apron on at the dentist for Xrays, but they used to just zap pregnant women.   So glad things have changed.  There is still a lot of room for improvement.

yup--happened to my mom in the early 80s. I remember sitting with her waiting for the results and being disappointed the picture was not more clear. I was 6. I also didn't understand why my mom was just sitting there like she was stunned while we waited--meanwhile I was all "oh boy oh boy, I hope we get twins!" Now I get it. My older sister seriously wanted to name them Shake and Bake. 

• LOL 2
On 4/1/2019 at 7:46 PM, Rhetorica said:

My son was a posterior baby; his head was toward my spine, face up.  This position is hard on the mother.  The doctor explained he was going to use forceps.  I was fine til I saw him coming at me with them.  They were huge! He was a great doctor tho.  Not a mark on my beautiful baby boy. 

My son came really fast--as in we barely got to the hospital. He bruised his cheek on the way out due to hitting a bone. Nurses would ask if they had to use forceps--nope, he did the bruising himself!

• Love 1