Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

And yet, if it was possible to diagnose multiples, regardless of technology, it would have better served their patients' needs to learn in advance that they would be parenting two (or possibly more) newborns, so they could prepare.

I did know a set of triplets my age who were not a surprise in the late '60s.

I have friends, identical twins, born in 1961.  Their mother was measuring large and her doctor sent her for an X ray of her belly which is how they diagnosed multiples back in the days before ultrasound.  He diagnosed them a few weeks before they were born but didn't tell their mother because she was a very anxious person and he felt she would be overwhelmed by the information.  She went to sleep for the delivery and woke up to 2 babies.  She told me this story herself, and claimed to actually be grateful that she didn't know.  That kind of paternalistic BS was very common back in the day, nowadays, it would be malpractice/

• Love 7

Xray to see the babies?!  Wow.  They make you put a lead apron on at the dentist for Xrays, but they used to just zap pregnant women.   So glad things have changed.  There is still a lot of room for improvement.

• Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The thing I know about forceps is that they were used on the future Kaiser Wilhelm II at his birthing resulting in a withered arm.

That was probably a brachial plexus injury. It can happened with or without forceps. It is damage to the nerves from the force that is applied to the head and neck during delivery.

Edited by eel2178
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, izabella said:

Xray to see the babies?!  Wow.  They make you put a lead apron on at the dentist for Xrays, but they used to just zap pregnant women.   So glad things have changed.  There is still a lot of room for improvement.

My father used to talk about trying on new shoes at the store then putting your feet into an x-ray box to see if you still had room to wiggle your toes. Fear of radiation didn't start until we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

My father used to talk about trying on new shoes at the store then putting your feet into an x-ray box to see if you still had room to wiggle your toes. Fear of radiation didn't start until we bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Oh yeah, that was a commonplace sight at shoe stores.  Thom McAnn is the store we had.  I loved looking at my bones!

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

And yet, if it was possible to diagnose multiples, regardless of technology, it would have better served their patients' needs to learn in advance that they would be parenting two (or possibly more) newborns, so they could prepare.

My grandmother knew she was having twins in 1933. I don't know how it was determined. It really didn't change the birth plan (my grandfather left my grandmother with relatives and took his trip to Europe anyway).

54 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I have friends, identical twins, born in 1961.  Their mother was measuring large and her doctor sent her for an X ray of her belly which is how they diagnosed multiples back in the days before ultrasound.  

X-rays were also done to confirm if the baby was breach.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, BooksRule said:

The whole idea of forceps being used for a birth makes me cringe (it just looks so dangerous for the baby), but I realize they are needed now and then.  And, although I know that I shouldn't be quoting Bill Cosby, I always think of this bit when I see forceps at a TV birth:  When the doctor said that Cosby's firstborn wasn't here yet because it was 'stuck':  'Well, get the salad spoons, man!' 

I'm so glad this show is back (and I have a friend who has just caught up after binging the earlier seasons, so I recommended she read the original trilogy of books as well). 

My son was a posterior baby; his head was toward my spine, face up.  This position is hard on the mother.  The doctor explained he was going to use forceps.  I was fine til I saw him coming at me with them.  They were huge! He was a great doctor tho.  Not a mark on my beautiful baby boy. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

X-rays were also done to confirm if the baby was breach.

Yep, there was also this fun thing they used to do called Xray pelvimetry when a woman was in labor and not progressing.  They'd take her down to radiology, take a bunch of Xrays of her pelvis and then measure a bunch of stuff to see if her pelvis was large enough to deliver the baby.  The nurses used to talk about how many women would deliver in the bed on the way to or from radiology.  X ray pelvimetry has long since proven useless in determining whether a woman can deliver vaginally.

Exposing a full term baby to X rays doesn't cause any birth defects because, of course, all the organs are formed.  The main risk is that it can lead to an increased risk of childhood leukemia.  A fetus who has been exposed to 3 or more diagnostic X rays of the mom's abdomen or pelvis has about twice the risk of a kid who wasn't.  The overall risk of childhood leukemia is about 1 in 10,000 kids, so, even a kid exposed to X ray in utero still has maybe a 1 in 5,000 risk.  Radiation treatment for cancers is a whole 'nother category and is fatal for a fetus which is why a woman who needs pelvic or abdominal radiation therapy would either be advised to terminate the pregnancy or deliver the baby first.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, OnceSane said:

I know the song, but never attended or knew anyone who had attended a teddy bear picnic.

When I was teaching Kindergarten I used to have a Teddy Bears' Picnic with my class every year.  They would bring their bears to school, and I would supply other "attendees" from my teddy bear collection.  I would also do a Three Bear's party and serve oatmeal and bear claws.  It was always a lot of fun.

• Love 9

When I taught kindergarten, sometimes I would have a tedy bear/stuffed animal slumber party.  Kids would bring a teddy bear or other animal, and would 'put them to sleep' on their table (I always brought extras for kids who did not have one to bring).  After the kids went home, I would rearrange the animals in diferent poses, all over the classroom and even the principal's office.  The next morning, I would run to the pick up area.  I told the kids I had just arrived at school.  

When I unlocked the door, they could see what the animals  had done......We would have a great time talking, writing and drawing about it.  My principal and assistant principal loved the ideas and would even bring one of their personal animals to stay over.

What fun it was to see a Poplar tedy bear party!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 1/14/2019 at 4:48 AM, MissLucas said:
  Hide contents

No idea what a Teddy Bear Picnic is all about but it looked like fun.

I'm from Connecticut. We had one in 1st grade. It was fun. People brought their teddy bears to school and we had snack with them. I think there were other activities too. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:08 PM, Calvada said:

I wonder if we're ever going to have a story where Saint-in-Training Timothy Turner goes off the rails.  In other words, acts like a teenager.  

Yes to this. I don't want him to do something massively stupid that ruins his life or his future like dropping out of school or participating in some kind of dare that results in permanent physical damange. I want to see something dumb and small-scale, like he skips class so he can be first in line to buy Beatles tickets to impress a girl he likes, or gets caught in a place he shouldn't be with people he shouldn't be with. 

17 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

They had me for a few minutes; I really thought they were going to kill the triplet. 

This is going to make me sound ghoulish and morbid, but I promise I'm not. I know that pregancies sometimes go horribly wrong and that's as true in 2019 as it would have been in 1964. I keep waiting for something to turn out badly and each time I think, is this the moment it's going to end in disaster, but it rarely does. 

17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Our local library in Michigan has a teddy bear picnic every year.  It's so cute to see the littles and their bears.

47 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

When I was teaching Kindergarten I used to have a Teddy Bears' Picnic with my class every year.  They would bring their bears to school, and I would supply other "attendees" from my teddy bear collection.  I would also do a Three Bear's party and serve oatmeal and bear claws.  It was always a lot of fun.

What a wonderful tradition.  I had never heard of a Three Bear's party. I like the idea. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, marypat57 said:

When I taught kindergarten, sometimes I would have a tedy bear/stuffed animal slumber party.  Kids would bring a teddy bear or other animal, and would 'put them to sleep' on their table (I always brought extras for kids who did not have one to bring).  After the kids went home, I would rearrange the animals in diferent poses, all over the classroom and even the principal's office.  The next morning, I would run to the pick up area.  I told the kids I had just arrived at school.  

When I unlocked the door, they could see what the animals  had done......We would have a great time talking, writing and drawing about it.  My principal and assistant principal loved the ideas and would even bring one of their personal animals to stay over.

What fun it was to see a Poplar tedy bear party!

What a great teacher you are!!  Kudos!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Yep, I had my feet in one of those machines many, many times.  You went to the machine wearing the shoes you were thinking of buying and stepped up and put your feet in with the toes of the shoes touching a metal bar.  Then you would push the button, and you could see your toe bones, and the metal showed the end of the shoes.  That way your mother could tell if the shoes were big enough or if you had room to grow.  You did this same routine until you found the shoes you wanted.  Then, when your mom was trying on shoes, you went back to the machine just to watch your toe bones wiggle.  If you had a buddy with you, one would get on the ground and put his hand inside while the other pushed the button and saw the hand bones.  No one thought anything about it.  This was just the way kids bought shoes. The same machine is now in the local museum.  This was in the mid to late 1950's.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'm fine with Tim being a regular teen aged kid.  He can play his music too loud, maybe whine a little about having to do chores before going out with his friends and try to sneak a kiss or two with a girlfriend.  This show is my shiny happy place despite the poverty and social problems of the citizens of Poplar.  We see enough girls and boys in trouble on the show; I am fine with Tim being a good kid who doesn't stray too far from the path.  I was one and TV doesn't have enough kids like me and Tim, IMO.

The Turners seem to be such a lovely family.  When the two little girls ran off hand in hand to go play at the office, my heart just melted. 

I will say I am at the point where I would be fine if they let Sister MJ pass away.  I feel like they've done the "Sister Monica Joan panics everyone by wandering off" storyline multiple times which suggests to me they have little left to say or do with the character. 

• Love 9

So thrilled my favorite show is back. Sheila is so truly caring and brilliant, I wonder if she will decide to become another Dr. Turner and go to medical school?! Poplar could certainly use her and that would provide more Turner family drama. 

I, too, thought “let SMJ keep her freaking bag!” Love the new nuns and as always, Sister Julienne is beautiful and awesome. Love Violet and Fred. Just so glad to see everyone again! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The Turners seem to be such a lovely family.  When the two little girls ran off hand in hand to go play at the office, my heart just melted. 

I will say I am at the point where I would be fine if they let Sister MJ pass away.  I feel like they've done the "Sister Monica Joan panics everyone by wandering off" storyline multiple times which suggests to me they have little left to say or do with the character. 

I would like her to stay, they write nice stories of caring, her bathing Cynthia is stuck in my head and other moments that are similar. I also liked when she helped Nurse Crane drive to her first delivery after the troubled delivery she had. They have to think a little out of the box.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I'm also in favor of letting Timothy be a normal, average teen. 

I'm not sure I know how old he was when his mom died. Then he got polio, then  dad remarried, they adopted a little sister (that I think he shared a room with until the Turners bought their house).  Next came the birth of little Teddy  followed by his new foster sister Mai.

Spunkygal, what a great idea having Shelagh go to med school !  She would make an excellent doctor, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

At this point, wouldn't the community be on high alert every time they saw Sister MJ out on her own?  This has happened multiple times, after all.  In a place so densely populated as Poplar, how does she always manage to get away without people noticing her and asking her if she needed help or at least notifying Nonnatus House that she was seen wandering through the neighborhood.  My niece at the age of 5 knew to let her parents know if she saw their elderly neighbor walking down the street by himself.  

• Love 4

Can we just have an all-Turner spinoff?  I don't know what it is, but If find myself smiling every time they are on screen.  And I love the idea of Sheila going to medical school.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

At this point, wouldn't the community be on high alert every time they saw Sister MJ out on her own? 

I think in "old" Poplar that might be the case but the more modern area with high rises just doesn't seem like a place where everyone knows everyone. And dementia patients are true Houdini's at slipping away very quickly.  Some Alzheimer units actually disguise doors by painting the door and wall to look like bookshelves to throw them off.

2 hours ago, debraran said:

I would like her to stay, they write nice stories of caring, her bathing Cynthia is stuck in my head and other moments that are similar. I also liked when she helped Nurse Crane drive to her first delivery after the troubled delivery she had. They have to think a little out of the box.

I agree.  SMJ drops some great pearls now and then.  The writers just need to work a little harder and quit repeating the wandering stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

My grandmother had undiagnosed twins in the 40s.  She was certain she was having twins because she was HUGE and because she swore there were too many feet.  And she told the doctor and he told her, no, no it wasn't twins.  And she told the doctor again and he said no, no, no it wasn't twins.  And of course it was twins.   My grandmother went so quickly that my grandfather hadn't been ushered out of the room, yet.  So he said right along with the doctor in the delivery, "It's a girl!   It's twins!"   

The doctor treating my grandmother at the time was nearing the end of his career and had never once delivered twins.  He'd deliver another set the following year and one the year after that.    He teased that my grandmother started a trend.

• Love 8

I really like the new nuns.  They're both a good contrast to the nuns we've known and loved for so long.

Angela and Mai were so adorable, and you just knew they were going to get into mischief.

I'm glad the third triplet didn't die, and I was touched by the father getting involved in her care.  He seemed like a decent person, just not someone used to being involved with his kids.

The abortion storyline was heartbreaking.  Yes, the abortionists were mostly in it for the money, but some of them did care about the women they were trying to help.  And the times being what they were, desperate women didn't have much of an alternative.  I did feel like the end came rather abruptly, although maybe it's a storyline which will continue throughout the season.

Oh, that scene where Trixie was in the kitchen cleaning her shoes because she didn't want to be around the others while they were drinking!  That was rather sad as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:27 PM, purist said:

Where is 'here'?

It's not really a thing in the US, at least not in Maryland where I live.

On ‎03‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, BooksRule said:

The whole idea of forceps being used for a birth makes me cringe (it just looks so dangerous for the baby), but I realize they are needed now and then.

They were pretty common in the early 60s, when my brother was born; he has marks on one hand from the forceps.  Not as much by 1965 when I was born, or maybe I just came so quickly the doctor didn't have time to use them.  My mother definitely was not the natural childbirth type.  She always say it was more "wake me up when it's over" for her.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, libgirl2 said:

I admit that wasn't my favorite story line. We have been there done that way too much, but I guess when someone is like that it does happen again and again. 

I think it probably reflects the worsening of her mental state.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, that scene where Trixie was in the kitchen cleaning her shoes because she didn't want to be around the others while they were drinking!  That was rather sad as well.

I thought it was strange, though, that she was sitting in a pub with the father of the triplets at the end of the episode . . . and everyone in the pub was buying him pints, so there were multiple glasses of alcohol sitting in front of him.  And Trixie just sat there, not appearing to be bothered by it at all.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I thought it was strange, though, that she was sitting in a pub with the father of the triplets at the end of the episode . . . and everyone in the pub was buying him pints, so there were multiple glasses of alcohol sitting in front of him.  And Trixie just sat there, not appearing to be bothered by it at all.

True, maybe it was just the circumstances, relaxing at home versus being on the job?

• Love 5
On 4/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, CoderLady said:

Timothy is acting like a teenager, just not a cliched TV teenager. I like seeing a level-headed, caring, intelligent, drama-free kid growing up surrounded by good people. I fervently hope the writers don't succumb to the mundane and make him a brat, even just for a single instance of hormone-fueled idiocy.

I want to see him get to college age and go off to discover a cure for cancer, or something else good, without causing anyone any angst.

I have no problem with him being a good kid. I do not want to see the writers give him a season long story arc where he turns into an angst ridden jerk who's constantly getting into trouble.

Everyone makes mistakes/does at least one stupid thing during thier life. Many times, this happens during the teen years. Even the adults on this series, the various nuns and midwives have made mistakes. It makes them more human.

I want the same for Timothy. Having him make one stupid mistake wouldn't ruin the character for me, it would make him more realistic. 

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, txhorns79 said:

I will say I am at the point where I would be fine if they let Sister MJ pass away.  

Then they'd have to change the name of the show to Kill the Midwife.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, doodlebug said:

I'm fine with Tim being a regular teen aged kid.  He can play his music too loud, maybe whine a little about having to do chores before going out with his friends and try to sneak a kiss or two with a girlfriend.  This show is my shiny happy place despite the poverty and social problems of the citizens of Poplar.  We see enough girls and boys in trouble on the show; I am fine with Tim being a good kid who doesn't stray too far from the path.  I was one and TV doesn't have enough kids like me and Tim, IMO.

They did have Tim get that crush on the nanny last season, and also he lied to go to a concert -or was it to play music with friends? Something like that, Dr. Turner found out and was terribly disappointed in him. But in general Tim loves his parents, is happy more siblings have come along and has a bright future ahead of him. If this were set in the U.S. they'd likely have him drafted and sent to Vietnam, that would screw him up in a hurry!

Edited by willowk
misspelling
  • Love 6
On 3/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, craziness said:

I recall Sister Mary Cynthia being sad that by the time she took her final vows, that they no longer wore old bridal gowns.   So why did Sister Francis and the 3 others get to wear wedding gowns?  Did Sister Mildred change the rules and I just didn't hear it?  

This bothered me too!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 4/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, AZChristian said:

I didn't think she played it unbothered. She looked to me like she was overtly trying not to pay attention to the pints. There was effort behind her nonchalance, if that makes sense? It was in her eyes and jaw.

• Love 12
(edited)

I soooo thought that the father of the aborted baby was going to be the sister's husband, but I guess the point of the story was the abortion itself and not the sisters' relationship.

My problem with Sister Monica Joan's plot was that I felt that the burning of the bags was so forced, because they just wanted to use them as a metaphor or whatever. But I kept thinking that they were perfectly okay and burning them made no sense. If they had upgraded, just donate them to the needy or repurpose them for something else, jeez.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, natyxg said:

I soooo thought that the father of the aborted baby was going to be the sister's husband, but I guess the point of the story was the abortion itself and not the sisters' relationship.

My problem with Sister Monica Joan's plot was that I felt that the burning of the bags was so forced, because they just wanted to use them as a metaphor or whatever. But I kept thinking that they were perfectly okay and burning them made no sense. If they had upgraded, just donate them to the needy or repurpose them for something else, jeez.

I agree, if they were falling apart, ripped, but for a show that shows accurate poverty and using things until they can't, they dropped the ball with that one. Many doctor's kept their old bags until they retired and beyond, it's not odd to want something that meant so much to you. Thank God for Fred. ; )

• Love 5
On 4/1/2019 at 12:07 AM, LittleIggy said:

Not a US thing, at least not in the places I’ve lived.

I know there was an annual Teddy Bear Picnic in Austin, Texas, a few years ago.  I took Jazzercise on Saturday mornings at a rec center, and once a year they cancelled class for a Teddy Bear Picnic.  I never did know what it was.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:24 PM, TVFAN said:

Can we just have an all-Turner spinoff?  I don't know what it is, but If find myself smiling every time they are on screen. 

I'd take an hour of just looking at Angela.  That is the cutest kid I've ever seen.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I have no problem with him being a good kid. I do not want to see the writers give him a season long story arc where he turns into an angst ridden jerk who's constantly getting into trouble.

Everyone makes mistakes/does at least one stupid thing during thier life. Many times, this happens during the teen years. Even the adults on this series, the various nuns and midwives have made mistakes. It makes them more human.

I want the same for Timothy. Having him make one stupid mistake wouldn't ruin the character for me, it would make him more realistic. 

If it makes you feel any better, I raised 3 boys (youngest is 19) and none of them got into trouble at all. Maybe Timothy’s family is not one to put up with foolishness, kind of like ours. Maybe the girls will be the rebels ;j

• Love 5

Given Timothy's history - the early loss of his mother, his illness, his father's bout with PTSD I think it's entirely plausible that he remains well-adjusted (and admittedly a tad boring) or that his rebellion will come in such a mild form that his parents won't even notice. Angela on the other hand - who knows where her squirrel-phobia will lead! 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
On 4/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, AZChristian said:

I saw it as her having an important thing to do, so she faced it, and coped, because she had to.

• Love 10
On 3/31/2019 at 10:11 PM, Straycat80 said:

I’m so glad this show is back. I know forcep delivery’s were used quite frequently in the past. You heard stories about kids still having marks on their heads from them.  I don’t know how often, if at all, they are used now.

I felt bad for the woman who had the botched abortion. It’s scary thinking we might go back to those back alley abortions. 

My mom said i had marks on my head for a few months from forceps. I'm almost 65.  

I hate getting a pap cuz of the forceps-like Speculum tool.  Can't imagine it in childbirth --more ouch.

I had a c-section with my son, born a month early. Drugs are wonderful.  No pain,  during or after.

Labor for 11 hours was a bitch though. 

On 4/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Deskisamess said:

I saw it as her having an important thing to do, so she faced it, and coped, because she had to.

I agree plus many folks do their addictions in private--eating, drinking, using, etc., and are high functioning in public. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I agree plus many folks do their addictions in private--eating, drinking, using, etc., and are high functioning in public. 

Remember how Trixie drank...she drank in private, up in her room. Not sitting in the room with the other gals as they had a drink makes sense from a recovery addict POV. That was Trixie's drinking spot.

I don't recall her sitting in a pub drinking. That's not to say it would be easy to be in a pub surrounded by folks drinking, but she had a job to do, something to focus on. The triggers wouldn't have been the same. I also don't remember her drinking beer or ale.

I do hope they show her "not drinking" in more normal situations. Recovery isn't just "white knuckling" through the cravings. It's relearning how to react to situations, and retraining old behaviors, and changing your thinking process.  It's living every day, not hounded by the desire to drink. Not drinking will become normal.

When an addict only white knuckles it, they are still "drinking thinking" which is what needs to change.

• Love 2

Ever since Trixie walked into the pub and then sat at a table talking with the uninvolved dad I've been waiting for another Trixie relapse. So far so good, no relapse yet, but this show can't be all-Trixie, all-the-time. Being in a pub where others were drinking (she had juice) didn't seem to bother her, outwardly, maybe they'll let her have those demons under control. Guess we'll see if anything comes of it.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Ever since Trixie walked into the pub and then sat at a table talking with the uninvolved dad I've been waiting for another Trixie relapse.

Trixie just relapsed last season; I wouldn't expect another relapse storyline so soon with everything else going on this season.  Plus, I don't think the writers would have done the relapse last season if Helen George hadn't been pregnant IRL.

• Love 6
On 4/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, libgirl2 said:

One of the children't programs we have at the library I work at is a stuffed animal party/sleepover. 

I work in a library too. We didn't have that program but I have heard of it in other libraries. It's cute. 

On 4/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, CoderLady said:

Timothy is acting like a teenager, just not a cliched TV teenager. I like seeing a level-headed, caring, intelligent, drama-free kid growing up surrounded by good people. I fervently hope the writers don't succumb to the mundane and make him a brat, even just for a single instance of hormone-fueled idiocy.

I want to see him get to college age and go off to discover a cure for cancer, or something else good, without causing anyone any angst.

I don't mind if he did something silly but not serious and got in a little trouble, like as the other poster said, ditch school to get Beatles tickets or something like that.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, txhorns79 said:

I love the Turner family. They are such a joy to watch. I hope they can find a way to keep May with them.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, proserpina65 said:

True, maybe it was just the circumstances, relaxing at home versus being on the job?

I thought at first maybe Trixie was going to be tempted to drink. I'm glad she didn't.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I know there was an annual Teddy Bear Picnic in Austin, Texas, a few years ago.  I took Jazzercise on Saturday mornings at a rec center, and once a year they cancelled class for a Teddy Bear Picnic.  I never did know what it was.

I'd take an hour of just looking at Angela.  That is the cutest kid I've ever seen.

I love Angela and May together. They are so cute. I dread having to see the day when they would be split apart.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:20 PM, BooksRule said:

The whole idea of forceps being used for a birth makes me cringe (it just looks so dangerous for the baby), but I realize they are needed now and then.  And, although I know that I shouldn't be quoting Bill Cosby, I always think of this bit when I see forceps at a TV birth:  When the doctor said that Cosby's firstborn wasn't here yet because it was 'stuck':  'Well, get the salad spoons, man!' 

I'm so glad this show is back (and I have a friend who has just caught up after binging the earlier seasons, so I recommended she read the original trilogy of books as well). 

My oldest was "stuck" because she wanted to come out sideways, every time the doctor turned her she turned back to her side.  So, they had to use forceps which my husband still refers to as salad spoons 25 years later.  It was traumatic and damaging (I won't share details) but I went on to have three subsequent unmedicated and fairly easy deliveries after that.

• Love 3