Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

As spring arrives, Nonnatus House welcomes two new nuns, the experienced Sister Hilda and newly qualified Sister Frances, who must acclimatise to the changing East End. A complicated multiple birth tests the skills of some of the midwives to the limit, but Trixie has to face her fears and Valerie deals with a shocking case that arrives unexpectedly.

Airs January 13, 2019.

• Love 1

IT'S BAAA-AAAACK!!!

So happy to see our crew back doing what they do best!  Triplets!  Holy cow, I really thought the show was gonna kill off the third daughter.  And I liked that Shelagh was right about triplets vs. twins.  And that it was all hands on deck to assist with delivery.

Poor Sister Frances, what a way to start her official midwifery duties!  Valerie's serious we-can-do-this face looks awfully like she's ready to murder someone.  I wonder if this is the season we'll actually hear Valerie talk about having an abortion (spec since she didn't confirm it when talking to Magda last season).  And I loved that the woman's sister wanted to do whatever she could to stop the abortionists.  It felt very real; as did her sister's reluctance to pursue matters.

Sister Hilda may be a bit of a nut.  And I'm glad we saw the new Mother Superior again, sending the sisters to Nonnatus.

Why do I get the feeling this won't be the only time Angela and Mai get into mischief together?

• Love 8

The closing credits listed Sister Winifred. I think she may have been in the congregation when the novices were taking their vows but my picture wasn’t clear enough to be sure.  

I was half convinced they’d lose one of the triplets as well. 

I’m glad they pointed out that most of the women getting ‘helped’ did actually get help without complications. 

• Love 6

Welcome back, show.

I'm glad we got another glimpse of Sister Mildred. The plots around Sister Monica Joan really get a tad too repetitive - although I wondered why nobody suggested to let her keep her bag as a memory. It was clear how unsettled she was at the prospect of burning it. But I loved her line about 'mould pills'.

The triplet birth was not for the faint of heart. Poor woman, first a breech and then the forceps. I bet she's never going to skip on her contraceptives again.

The abortion plot was heartbreaking - especially the aftermath with Valerie and Sister Francis cleaning the bathroom floor (without rubber gloves). And the conversation between Sister Hilda and Sister Julieen was very effective in making clear that botched abortions and their aftermath were part of their job - plus that they were aware that many happened without complications, the silence surrounding them never broken.

Spoiler

Apparently Valerie isn't willing to let this go so that plot isn't over yet.

And in other news: Poor Trixie is still not alright. And Sergeant Woolf still seems to carry a torch for Nurse Crane (and who can blame him). No idea what a Teddy Bear Picnic is all about but it looked like fun.

• Love 6

I thought this was a good episode but there was one thing that really annoyed me and that was how contrived the scene was where Trixie was downstairs cleaning shoes because Valerie and Lucille were drinking alcohol added to their hot chocolate. Both women are thoughtful enough that they would forgo the alcohol to make things easier for Trixie and include her. Plus they don't seem like big drinkers, Lucille particularly. It just seemed an overly contrived way to show that Trixie was still struggling with her alcoholism.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I thought this was a good episode but there was one thing that really annoyed me and that was how contrived the scene was where Trixie was downstairs cleaning shoes because Valerie and Lucille were drinking alcohol added to their hot chocolate. Both women are thoughtful enough that they would forgo the alcohol to make things easier for Trixie and include her. Plus they don't seem like big drinkers, Lucille particularly. It just seemed an overly contrived way to show that Trixie was still struggling with her alcoholism.

I don’t think many of the characters are aware of Trixie’s alcoholism. 

Nurse Crane and Sister Julienne are because they’re in charge and I think Barbara knew there was a problem when she had to cover for her at one point. But as far as the others knew, Trixie was just visiting her Aunt and not drying out/getting back on the wagon. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Ah, thanks - so you go out and have a picnic with some teddy bears? *confused* I thought it was some sort of charity event that required massive logistics. (And nope - definitely not a thing here.)

Where is 'here'?

Rippon Lea in Melbourne (where many Australian TV shows and movies have been filmed, including Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Aunt Prudence's house) has an annual Teddy Bears' Picnic that is very popular (see photo). I've never been, but it looks like fun. People organise private ones for kids' parties too.

RipLea Teddy Picnic.jpg

Edited by purist
  • Love 4

I recall Sister Mary Cynthia being sad that by the time she took her final vows, that they no longer wore old bridal gowns.   So why did Sister Francis and the 3 others get to wear wedding gowns?  Did Sister Mildred change the rules and I just didn't hear it?  

• Love 8

Several years ago, I worked with a guy who was a surprise triplet.  Born in 1960, with a month to go his mother was told she was having twins, and it ended up being triplets.  His parents went from having 3 kids to 6 kids in one day.  But I don't think it was the drama delivery that this one was.

Angela and May were too cute, getting into trouble.  I had to laugh at Miss Higgins realizing they had disappeared, looking concerned for a second, then going back to her typing.  

I wonder if we're ever going to have a story where Saint-in-Training Timothy Turner goes off the rails.  In other words, acts like a teenager.  

• Love 5

Ok a bit of bunnyette history..my mum was training to be a midwife and was doing a stint in the East End, until she saw an ad from the Canadian Government for nurses...passage to Canada, job, uniform costs & first months rent.  At 20 how could she refuse in 1958 post war Britain.  

This show for some reason makes my eyes water...tonight the scene when bumbling fool husband goes to be with the sickest of the triplets.  My mum loves it too.

• Love 20

The whole idea of forceps being used for a birth makes me cringe (it just looks so dangerous for the baby), but I realize they are needed now and then.  And, although I know that I shouldn't be quoting Bill Cosby, I always think of this bit when I see forceps at a TV birth:  When the doctor said that Cosby's firstborn wasn't here yet because it was 'stuck':  'Well, get the salad spoons, man!' 

I'm so glad this show is back (and I have a friend who has just caught up after binging the earlier seasons, so I recommended she read the original trilogy of books as well). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

The whole idea of forceps being used for a birth makes me cringe (it just looks so dangerous for the baby), but I realize they are needed now and then.

Forceps were used when I was born (50 years ago Wednesday), only because they induced, the OB having decided things weren't progressing fast enough, and my mother was knocked out so she couldn't push. Fast forward a few years, and they likely wouldn't have induced as early as they did, with no urgency to the fetus. I had no lasting marks or trauma, and one would hope there's no great danger to the baby as they are deployed. 

As for surprise multiple births, I have a younger friend (born in 1982) who is a fraternal twin, whose parents didn't know they were having twins until it happened. I assume they didn't have regular prenatal care, and that is why. (They went on to have a singleton and another set of twins in short order...five babies in three years.)

• Love 2

The thing I know about forceps is that they were used on the future Kaiser Wilhelm II at his birthing resulting in a withered arm.

There are politicians today who won’t stop until women are back in that situation re: abortions. 😡

• Love 9
On 1/24/2019 at 3:51 PM, MissLucas said:

Ah, thanks - so you go out and have a picnic with some teddy bears? *confused* I thought it was some sort of charity event that required massive logistics. (And nope - definitely not a thing here.)

Not a US thing, at least not in the places I’ve lived.

• Love 1

I’m so glad this show is back. I know forcep delivery’s were used quite frequently in the past. You heard stories about kids still having marks on their heads from them.  I don’t know how often, if at all, they are used now.

I felt bad for the woman who had the botched abortion. It’s scary thinking we might go back to those back alley abortions. 

• Love 16

So glad the show is back, & more nuns! I've been hoping there would be more nuns. I am getting tired of the "Sister Monica Joan is losing her mind" plot though, they need to either stop with this same plot, or just have her finally die or go live at the Mother House.

• Love 13

I can't get through this show without needing someone to pass the tissues. 

The triplet father was so handsome and I like to think he keeps  helping with all the babies, but particularly the little tiniest one.  I thought the triplet mother did the best, "woman in labor," acting I've seen yet.  I was feeling it with her.

I always love everything about the Turner family, right down to the furnishings of their nice house, but I think it's time they made better childcare arrangements than having the little girls spend hours sitting in the waiting room.  Someday Shelagh will wonder why she doesn't have any grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I worked with a young woman, mid 20's who had a U shaped mark on her forehead she said came from forceps.  First I had seen that.

Was the foster child with the Turners the first time shown? I thought they'd show Trixie coming home or how they came about and I wondered if I missed a show going from Netflix to PBS for season 8.

32 minutes ago, debraran said:

I worked with a young woman, mid 20's who had a U shaped mark on her forehead she said came from forceps.  First I had seen that.

Was the foster child with the Turners the first time shown? I thought they'd show Trixie coming home or how they came about and I wondered if I missed a show going from Netflix to PBS for season 8.

It was in the holiday special. Not sure if it's on Netflix, but my PBS station showed it right before this episode, so it may be on the PBS website or on demand.

• Love 4

An excellent episode as always although I'm not sure if they don't know what to do with Shelia or if the last couple episodes of the previous season, the Christmas special and this episode are supposed to highlight some sort of crossroads for her that is building towards something.    They had me for a few minutes; I really thought they were going to kill the triplet.  I think the two new Nun's will be OK but I'm going to miss Sister Winifred.  Also missing Tom.  I prefer to stay unspoiled so I can only say I'm hoping one or both of them come back before the season is over.  

I wonder how many viewers in the US went running for Google to look up Queen Elizabeth's kids?  I'll raise my hand and say I did it even though I was sure they were talking about Andrew.  Completely forgot Edward even exists, he seems to be the quiet one who doesn't make the news much.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Love having our ladies back in service on Sunday night!  Nice episode and at least one moment of sniffling with the unexpeted triplets.  I can certainly see that scenario happening pre-ultrasound days.

7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Not a US thing, at least not in the places I’ve lived.

Our local library in Michigan has a teddy bear picnic every year.  It's so cute to see the littles and their bears.

I didn't get the point of burning the old midwife bags except to set up SMJ having a meltdown.  With the poverty in the area, couldn't they have been donated to be used in some fashion?

• Love 11
On 1/13/2019 at 7:32 PM, OnceSane said:

IT'S BAAA-AAAACK!!!

So happy to see our crew back doing what they do best!  Triplets!  Holy cow, I really thought the show was gonna kill off the third daughter.  And I liked that Shelagh was right about triplets vs. twins.  And that it was all hands on deck to assist with delivery.

Poor Sister Frances, what a way to start her official midwifery duties!  Valerie's serious we-can-do-this face looks awfully like she's ready to murder someone.  I wonder if this is the season we'll actually hear Valerie talk about having an abortion (spec since she didn't confirm it when talking to Magda last season).  And I loved that the woman's sister wanted to do whatever she could to stop the abortionists.  It felt very real; as did her sister's reluctance to pursue matters.

Sister Hilda may be a bit of a nut.  And I'm glad we saw the new Mother Superior again, sending the sisters to Nonnatus.

Why do I get the feeling this won't be the only time Angela and Mai get into mischief together?

I got the same vibe from Valerie. She was so matter of fact and the look on her face. 

12 hours ago, Calvada said:

Several years ago, I worked with a guy who was a surprise triplet.  Born in 1960, with a month to go his mother was told she was having twins, and it ended up being triplets.  His parents went from having 3 kids to 6 kids in one day.  But I don't think it was the drama delivery that this one was.

Angela and May were too cute, getting into trouble.  I had to laugh at Miss Higgins realizing they had disappeared, looking concerned for a second, then going back to her typing.  

I wonder if we're ever going to have a story where Saint-in-Training Timothy Turner goes off the rails.  In other words, acts like a teenager.  

I got worried for a minute they would be kidnapped. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GaT said:

So glad the show is back, & more nuns! I've been hoping there would be more nuns. I am getting tired of the "Sister Monica Joan is losing her mind" plot though, they need to either stop with this same plot, or just have her finally die or go live at the Mother House.

I admit that wasn't my favorite story line. We have been there done that way too much, but I guess when someone is like that it does happen again and again. 

• Love 2

My box of Puffs sure got a workout during the premiere.  I loved seeing the nuns in their wedding dresses; such a charming custom.  I too was praying for the third triplet; breathing meconium is no joke (my mom worked in the nursery at a hospital, I got lots of tales of horror from her)The triplet father just killed me with his love for his baby (babies) crying all through it.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m so glad this show is back. I know forceps delivery’s were used quite frequently in the past. You heard stories about kids still having marks on their heads from them.  I don’t know how often, if at all, they are used now.

45 years later and my mom still jokes about how I looked like "an eggplant" for a week or so because of the doctors using "the salad tongs" to yank me out by the head.

Good start to the season, although it seems a few things are being strongly telegraphed for this year -- guess we'll see (I like to stay spoiler-free for this lovely little show, it feels appropriate).  I too, wondered why they didn't just let Sister MJ keep her medical bag as a keepsake; was it a "nuns can't have personal possessions" deal?

All the fervor over the Queen having a baby did make me wonder a bit at how accurate the birthing scenes in "The Crown" were in terms of medical care...funny how we feel like we know what happened because we watch a random show, lol.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, tljgator said:

I too, wondered why they didn't just let Sister MJ keep her medical bag as a keepsake; was it a "nuns can't have personal possessions" deal?

Not sure how strict Anglican orders handle it or handled it at that time - but we've seen that she has quite a collection of books in her room so that can't have been an issue.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MissLucas said:

Not sure how strict Anglican orders handle it or handled it at that time - but we've seen that she has quite a collection of books in her room so that can't have been an issue.

True. I feel like that's one of those issues that comes and goes as needed for the story, though. I believe we had a long-ago episode where one of the nuns had secreted away family heirlooms (jewelry?) to have as a remembrance (heck, might have been another SMJ story, lol).

• Love 2
(edited)

Sister Monica sold her jewels I think when she took off a few seasons ago. They helped  her remember during a “ spell” In the past    They’ve had some great scenes with Sister Monica Joan and very touching ones. I hope to see her relatively well for some time to come. I love her!

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, debraran said:

my PBS station shows the Christmas special in the evening on Dec. 25th and repeats it once or twice afterwards. They will have one again this year so be sure to catch it this Christmas.

Love that the girls are back, think its time Trixie finds her true love. Barbara got married and stayed on the show so they can do the same for Trixie.  Loved how the doctors reached the delivery room just as the midwives revived the last triplet -showing again the tension between midwivery and the coming modern hospital deliveries.  BTW research is now showing that vaginal births are important in giving the baby an immune boost -the ultra sterile caesarian method may be to blame for the increased rate of food and other allergies among today's kids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

My box of Puffs sure got a workout during the premiere.  I loved seeing the nuns in their wedding dresses; such a charming custom.  I too was praying for the third triplet; breathing meconium is no joke (my mom worked in the nursery at a hospital, I got lots of tales of horror from her)The triplet father just killed me with his love for his baby (babies) crying all through it.

I'm sorry, I find the wedding dress thing very bizarre - I mean, after a wedding there's a wedding night.

Shouldn't Shelagh have been spitting out the meconium between sucks?

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm sorry, I find the wedding dress thing very bizarre - I mean, after a wedding there's a wedding night.

They are becoming Brides of Christ, marrying Christ. I think its lovely. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

The manual suction actually has two tubes leading to a jar. One tube in the baby's mouth, the other in Shelagh's to provide the suction. What comes out of Baby lands in the collection jar.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The manual suction actually has two tubes leading to a jar. One tube in the baby's mouth, the other in Shelagh's to provide the suction. What comes out of Baby lands in the collection jar.

Thanks so much for the explanation.  (Most of my medical "knowledge" comes from crappy TV dramas, and I know Call the Midwife uses a professional advisor, so I'm very happy to be proved wrong!)

• Love 5
17 hours ago, GaT said:

ITA.  So tired of episode after episode with Sister Monica Joan being difficult and childish.  It may be entirely realistic but too much time has been devoted to her problems.  There are other characters with potential to do something interesting.

I thought this was a strong start to the season, except for SMJ.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I didn't get the point of burning the old midwife bags except to set up SMJ having a meltdown.  With the poverty in the area, couldn't they have been donated to be used in some fashion?

Yeah, the whole "we have cherished these bags and each bag carries a direct lineage to the past and now we have new SO BURN THEM ALL DESPITE OUR FOND NOSTALGIA" was a wee bit forced. 

I don't know. This episode left me kinda cold to be honest. Oh, the triplet thing was exciting and the botched abortion was appropriately somber and sad but the only real character moment for me was the young nun helping with the botched abortion, and then stoically scrubbing the floor all while the drama ensued around her. (I really did like that moment)

I hate to be all "who the fuck cares anymore" about Sister Monica Joan's many temper tantrums over her aging etc but honestly, it's just about a by rote plot point - Something trivial sets her off, she goes missing, everyone worries, whatever was bugging her is altered to where she is appeased, and we can all relax again. The other plot variation is everyone rudely ignores SMJ's prattling about some weird factoid but of course at the end of the hour, it was really her sage wisdom that saves the day. That SMJ is involved in so many police incidents without anyone in the community strongly suggesting its time for her to retire to the mother house was asinine three seasons ago. 

I dunno… the show felt as tired as Trixie looked.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I hate to be all "who the fuck cares anymore" about Sister Monica Joan's many temper tantrums over her aging etc but honestly, it's just about a by rote plot point - Something trivial sets her off, she goes missing, everyone worries, whatever was bugging her is altered to where she is appeased, and we can all relax again. The other plot variation is everyone rudely ignores SMJ's prattling about some weird factoid but of course at the end of the hour, it was really her sage wisdom that saves the day. That SMJ is involved in so many police incidents without anyone in the community strongly suggesting its time for her to retire to the mother house was asinine three seasons ago. 

I didn't have the nerve to be as blunt as you, but you absolutely nailed it.  It is now tiresome repetition and it is time to send SMJ to the mother house.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

for an obstetrician to be good with the blades.

I always assumed forceps were like giant tongs, so to see Dr Turner with these long blades in his hands freaked me out.

When I had my son with a midwife 21 years ago, I asked them if there was any reason they wanted me to get an ultrasound and she said she would let me know if there was.  She measured my belly every visit (which a lot of people have told me their OB never did) and listened for the heartbeat.  I think there is a lot of "art" being lost with ultrasounds and C-sections.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I think there is a lot of "art" being lost with ultrasounds and C-sections.

Not to mention a lot of unnecessary surgery and expense.  And the self indulgence of parents choosing the delivery date.  (Sorry, feeling grumpy.)

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Many older docs, accustomed to handling anything and everything by themselves, just didn't feel the need to diagnose twins before delivery because they knew they could deal with it as it happened.

And yet, if it was possible to diagnose multiples, regardless of technology, it would have better served their patients' needs to learn in advance that they would be parenting two (or possibly more) newborns, so they could prepare.

I did know a set of triplets my age who were not a surprise in the late '60s.

• Love 6