Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I honestly don't have a problem with Lady Gaga's dress.  It was a bit much for the occasion and not my style--I thought the fabric on the top was a bit too thick and stiff--but I loved the black and red combination. Besides, she's Lady Gaga--they knew what they might be getting when they asked her.  I did think the pin would have looked better if it was at least half the size, though. I thought J-Lo looked great, too (but then, I think she's gorgeous anyway), except I've never liked the bows, or whatever you call them, down the front of blouses like that.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Makes me wonder if he'll bother dressing up for the Kennedy Honors. Or did that already happen and we're just waiting for it to air?

I assume he will dress appropriately while still remaining true to himself which is what I saw him doing yesterday.  I was just making the obvious joke.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’ll applaud a woman who puts effort into an outfit over a man who barely bothers every day of the week and twice on Sunday. All of the women who spoke or performed at the Capitol yesterday looked amazing, from Amanda Gorman’s gorgeous yellows to Michelle Obama, Kamala Harris and Jill Biden rocking the jewel tones to Gaga and J-Lo’s stagewear to Ella Emhoff’s bedazzled tweeds and the perfect basic black robe of Sonia Sotomayor.

You make a good point.  Whether they were to our taste or not, they made an effort for better or worse and Garth just didn't bother.   I mean, neither did Bernie Sanders, and we've all had great fun with the memes about his mittens, but he also wasn't a sole performer on the main stage which called for something more.  

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

I mean, neither did Bernie Sanders, and we've all had great fun with the memes about his mittens, but he also wasn't a sole performer on the main stage which called for something more.  

On his show last night, Stephen Colbert was commenting on Bernie being all bundled up and then he was like, "But why didn't you cover your head?!" :p.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 8

23 hours ago, Quof said:

I thought JLo was going to sing America the Beautiful, then she launched into that song we used to sing at Brownie camp. 

She only sang the phrase “Let’s get loud”, as I remember. Then a recap report I saw today said the Spanish-language part was from the Pledge of Allegiance. Followed by I don’t remember what.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cynicat said:

Wasn't it red, white and blue?  I kinda liked it, especially when they showed the whole Capitol and her on the balcony.  And you ain't kidding, about her voice, not that there was ever a doubt, 

I’m not sure where the white was (the pin looked gold, to me), but I think she was aiming for that patriotic color scheme. Only I think she chose Navy Blue, which looks black on camera. So it looked like Gaga was wearing at least black & red.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Makes me wonder if he'll bother dressing up for the Kennedy Honors. Or did that already happen and we're just waiting for it to air?

The Kennedy Center Honors are scheduled to take place March 7th & air on CBS sometime in May, I think.

• Useful 4

Yolanda Adams performed at the COVID-19 Memorial Service, but I wish he had performed at the Inauguration as well.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Garth was just staying true to his roots--showing up in boots to a black tie affair.  

In early March last year, before all Hell broke loose thanks to the virus, Garth was presented with the Library of Congress’ Gershwin Prize for Popular Song; the dress code, for at least the audience & presenters, is probably similar to that for The Kennedy Center Honors & the Kennedy Center’s Mark Twain Prize for American Humor (the first & third are taped for airing on PBS; the middle airs, on tape, on CBS). This is what Garth wore to the Gershwin Prize ceremony. So, yeah, staying true to his roots & I’m pretty sure the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies (aka JCCIC... Thank you, The West Wing!) understands that & looks the other way when it comes to dress codes for performers in the country music genre.

Look at it this way... it might’ve been Willie Nelson. Then you’d have gotten a scruffy-looking 80-something year-old man in jeans, boots, a t-shirt, possibly a bandana as a headband, with a badly beaten up guitar, extra hole from wear & tear included, & possibly/likely smelling of marijuana. And because he’s a legend, you wouldn’t have said a thing. Just like I’m sure probably happened with Garth.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Look at it this way... it might’ve been Willie Nelson. Then you’d have gotten a scruffy-looking 80-something year-old man in jeans, boots, a t-shirt, possibly a bandana as a headband, with a badly beaten up guitar, extra hole from wear & tear included, & possibly/likely smelling of marijuana. And because he’s a legend, you wouldn’t have said a thing. Just like I’m sure probably happened with Garth.

Speaking only for myself, if Willie Nelson had shown up as you described, I certainly would have stated something about him as well. And not anything favorable.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Speaking only for myself, if Willie Nelson had shown up as you described, I certainly would have stated something about him as well. And not anything favorable.

There's no excuse for showing up at a major fancy event looking like a homeless person. I mean, unless being true to your roots means being disrespectful of others. If I showed up to a work even looking like Willie, I'd get flayed. 

• Like 8

Watching the "Celebrating America" that aired last night as I missed it and I just want to say that Yo-Yo Ma's version of Amazing Grace was much more to my liking.  🤷‍♀️  And I liked that little "simple gifts' that he tossed in at the end.  That worked for me.  

I was going to make notes of what I liked and didn't in this part of the Inauguration day but lets just say, I spent most of yesterday in a puddly mess of tears and this wasn't much different.  Very moving.  

Tom Hanks looked so cold though.  Was wishing he'd found a hat that was appropriate for his suit.  

• Like 7

This wasn't Garth's first inauguration/presidential ceremony. I doubt it'll be his last.  Not only did the committee know what they were getting, they likely wanted him for precisely the vibe they knew he'd bring--cowboy hat, jeans and all.  Ditto for Gaga and J-Lo. 

I do think it'd feel strange for him to perform in something completely unrelated to his normal performing persona.  And I'd say the same about Willie Nelson or Nikki Minaj. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t think Willie would have made it on the stage, too busy getting high with Hunter in the men’s room.

• Surprise 3

52 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I don’t think Willie would have made it on the stage, too busy getting high with Hunter in the men’s room.

I'm not about to cosign on any gossip but I'd like to think that the younger Mr. Biden would have had sense enough to have stayed clean and sober at least long enough to have witnessed his father getting Innaugurated! 

Let me put it this way: I think even Tarzan would have had sense enough to have opted for a sable loincloth for an Inauguration  instead of   one made from drier lint!

Edited by Blergh

19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If you are referring to  Hunter Biden, he  has been deceased since 2015 so that would be impossible. 

Beau Biden died in 2015 from a brain tumor. Hunter is the younger brother who has a checkered past, including recent pictures of being passed out in a bathtub with a crack pipe in his mouth.

• Like 2

My above post re the new President's son is corrected. Sorry for any confusion on my part about which of them died. That is all. 

15 hours ago, Callietwo said:

As for Garth Brooks, he looked unwell to me, thought he sounded really rough.  Both his & J-Lo's ad-libs were off putting, too.  Stick to the script, it's there for a reason!  

I don't know about Garth Brooks, but J.Lo's is from the performance she did at Super Bowl. She was "sticking to the script." There's a definite reason why she included it at Super Bowl and here, but I'm not going to go into it.

15 hours ago, Popples said:

Why do they keep inviting this non-singing woman to events where you need to be able to do better than carry a tune. I'm still livid at her presence at the Motown Celebration. At least this came out of it:

While the Motown celebration was odd, I don't understand what the big deal is about asking her to perform. Does she have the best voice? No. Personally, I think she sounds fine when she sticks to what works for her. However, there was nothing wrong with her performance on Wednesday, and in fact, I thought it was one of her best live performances she's done. 

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 10
  • Useful 2

19 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Amanda Gorman’s gorgeous yellows

Amanda Gorman in her yellows with the red headpiece was AMAZING.   So poised, so graceful.   It really is hard to find words to describe her presence.  

Her delivery of her poem took a lovely work and made it SOAR.   Her books of poetry hit #1 and #2 on Amazon by yesterday.   

59 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Are performance shows not a mandatory ban at the moment?

Not everywhere.   It's a state by state thing.   I can think of a few states that might not have bans.   Why Chappelle would be appearing in those states, I have no idea.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Personally, I think she sounds fine when she sticks to what works for her. However, there was nothing wrong with her performance on Wednesday, and in fact, I thought it was one of her best live performances she's done. 

Agreed.  I thought all three performances were heartfelt and wonderful and added to the occasion.  With regard to Garth Brooks someone commented that he didn't look well - he certainly has gained a few pounds as he's aged (join the club, Garth, join the club) but otherwise I thought he looked pretty much the way he always has.  Apparently Dr Jill Biden specifically requested that he perform so I doubt anyone there was surprised or disappointed by his appearance!  

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

21 hours ago, Callietwo said:

You make a good point.  Whether they were to our taste or not, they made an effort for better or worse and Garth just didn't bother.   I mean, neither did Bernie Sanders, and we've all had great fun with the memes about his mittens, but he also wasn't a sole performer on the main stage which called for something more.  

In Bernie's defense, do we know he wasn't wearing a suit under that parka?

Garth Brooks, though, sure he was on brand, but you can still wear your big ass belt buckle and cowboy hat with nicer pants. Even jeans that had the proper inseam would have been an improvement. Lady Gaga's enormous skirt and enormous brooch were on brand but entirely appropriate for the occasion, for example. He could have definitely been dressed more inappropriately (like Ed Sheeran in the article someone posted above), and he didn't look like a slob, but how far off does your attire have to be from the dress code, unwritten though it may be, before it's "okay" for people to find fault with it? What Garth Brooks wore at the inauguration was exactly what my dad considered formalwear when I was growing up, but when he was called upon to attend a formal event to accept a national award on behalf of an organization he was a part of, he went out and bought a suit. If my blue-collar, rural dad can buy a goddamn suit, then so can Garth Brooks.

15 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

After Batman & Robin bombed, Clooney decided the next three films would have better writing

To this day, the worst Batman film. It’s amazing Clooney’s career survived after this. One of the big wtf in his life, by far.

At the time, George Clooney said that he was the worst Batman. I don't agree. The movie was bad, but he wasn't the worst Batman (at the time). I thought he was still better than Val Kilmer.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Interesting! BTW, I guess this is a good place as any to note that Dr. Biden is the first First Lady with an actual doctoral degree ( in her case as a Doctor of Education)! So, that means the proper way to introduce the Presidential couple would be 'President and Dr. Biden' (and isn't it nice to have lived to see the day when few if any folks still automatically assume the term 'doctor' refers to a male)!

In related news, in addition to all of Kamala Harris's firsts, I'm excited to have in such a prominent position a woman who kept her own last name after getting married.

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, janie jones said:

In Bernie's defense, do we know he wasn't wearing a suit under that parka?

Garth Brooks, though, sure he was on brand, but you can still wear your big ass belt buckle and cowboy hat with nicer pants. Even jeans that had the proper inseam would have been an improvement. Lady Gaga's enormous skirt and enormous brooch were on brand but entirely appropriate for the occasion, for example. He could have definitely been dressed more inappropriately (like Ed Sheeran in the article someone posted above), and he didn't look like a slob, but how far off does your attire have to be from the dress code, unwritten though it may be, before it's "okay" for people to find fault with it? What Garth Brooks wore at the inauguration was exactly what my dad considered formalwear when I was growing up, but when he was called upon to attend a formal event to accept a national award on behalf of an organization he was a part of, he went out and bought a suit. If my blue-collar, rural dad can buy a goddamn suit, then so can Garth Brooks.

At the time, George Clooney said that he was the worst Batman. I don't agree. The movie was bad, but he wasn't the worst Batman (at the time). I thought he was still better than Val Kilmer.

In related news, in addition to all of Kamala Harris's firsts, I'm excited to have in such a prominent position a woman who kept her own last name after getting married.

I would love all of this post except that I’ve never even once bothered to compare one Batman from another and can barely tell them apart anyway. 

I really shouldn’t be giving props to Doug Emhoff for doing what millions of women have done over time, supporting their accomplished spouse, but I’ve decided to love him and hold him out as #HusbandGoals.

• Like 9

I agree that Kilmer was a worse Batman but I think Batman & Robin was a worse movie. I also think Clooney seemed lowkey embarrassed in the role while Kilmer was at least giving it a sincere try. I'll never understand why Clooney took that role. He didn't need it like Kilmer arguably did, IMO. And as far as The Worst Movie Batman is concerned, I might give it to Ben Affleck. We'll see how Robert Pattinson stacks up.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I agree that Kilmer was a worse Batman but I think Batman & Robin was a worse movie. I also think Clooney seemed lowkey embarrassed in the role while Kilmer was at least giving it a sincere try. I'll never understand why Clooney took that role. He didn't need it like Kilmer arguably did, IMO. And as far as The Worst Movie Batman is concerned, I might give it to Ben Affleck. We'll see how Robert Pattinson stacks up.

I know I'm wrong:) but of the four Batman movies in that particular franchise, I liked Batman Forever the best.  It's the only I really liked at, actually.  Batman and Robin was by far the worst.  But, I don't think it was George Clooney's fault.  It was a bad script.

• Like 4

It was awful, but in a campy way that was entertaining. And Clooney's performance was decent (to pretty good as Bruce Wayne in the quieter moments), which is probably why he didn't catch that much flak for it. Val Kilmer was sleepwalking through his stint in the previous movie—as opposed to Jim Carrey, whose performance was too big for an IMAX screen.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 1

Bernie could have worn a nice overcoat and scarf like most of the other men, but I think he wanted to give off the appearance of Grumpy Old Man Wearing Mittens.  Considering all the memes, I guess he got what he wanted. 

Gaga's voluminous skirt was cringe inducing because she definitely wanted the spotlight on her.  As someone said, at least it wasn't a meat dress.  So there's that.

• Like 4

On 1/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, Callietwo said:

Whether they were to our taste or not, they made an effort for better or worse and Garth just didn't bother. 

Oprah once said "If you aren't gonna dress up to come on my show, in front of millions of viewers, when do you dress up?"  You've got to wonder, what does Garth consider a dress up occasion? 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Quof said:

You've got to wonder, what does Garth consider a dress up occasion? 

Apparently, a Sinatra tribute concert. 🤷‍♀️
image.thumb.jpeg.f85cd56f0ae9e0708d893a449e83d518.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Dani said:

Apparently, a Sinatra tribute concert. 🤷‍♀️
image.thumb.jpeg.f85cd56f0ae9e0708d893a449e83d518.jpeg

See.. this looks good.  I know it didn't call for a tux but a nice black or blue suit would've looked good.  

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Depends on who wants them done, and for what reason.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Avabelle said:

According to this they were outdoor events in Austin. I wouldn’t go but it sounds safer than eating at a restaurant. 

MASKS ARE REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES

‍Socially distanced, reserved tables are available for purchase. Entire table must be purchased - tables are sold in multiples of 4,6, or 8 tickets. ALL members of your party that are seated at your table must be present to enter the event.

Each ticket holder will receive a MANDATORY rapid COVID-19 antigen test upon arriving at the venue; only those with a negative result from the rapid COVID-19 test will be allowed entry. If COVID-19 is detected by the rapid test, that individual and all members of the same household will not be allowed to enter and will be given a refund.

Sanitizing dispensers will be located throughout the venue.

Cleaning staff will also be sanitizing high-touch venue areas before, during and after the event. 

• Useful 6

7 hours ago, Popples said:

She might be in danger.

tenor.gif

Well, we already knew from 30 Rock that Jane and Miss Piggy have similar tastes. ; )

who wore it better.png

• Laugh 16

3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Well, we already knew from 30 Rock that Jane and Miss Piggy have similar tastes. ; )

Plus that My Pillow guy is totally someone that Jenna would have a one liner about dating. Is it possible this rumour is a prank started by Tina Fey?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.