Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Discussion here is getting a bit too close to the political line.  Please redirect discussion to more celebrity-focused talk.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Lucy and Desi but make it gritty.  And talky.  Oh, so very talky.

That's not what I expected....good actors, but Javier and Nicole?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Somewhere Debra Messing just threw a computer through a plate glass window.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Somewhere Debra Messing just threw a computer through a plate glass window.

Because they got her name wrong on the Starbucks cup.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That's not what I expected....good actors, but Javier and Nicole?

Well, a thousand years ago she was a redhead. That's all I've got. And while I'm talking about her I want to voice my number 1 complaint with Nicole- her accent. She has basically been in America longer than she was in Australia. She has access to excellent vocal coaches if she wanted. WHY is her American accent so bad? It's 6 words American and then 3 words Australian. Without fail. Just a pet peeve of mine.

• Like 8

Multiple sources, foreign & domestic (including The Daily Mail... which I did not link to; I used a Las Vegas-based source), state that famed illusionist Siegfried Fischbacher, 81, is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer. This is the same type of cancer which caused the November 8th death of longtime Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek after an approximately 20-month battle with the disease.

Siegfried & his longtime partner, Roy Horn, comprised the longtime, legendary, Las Vegas-based illusionist/magician headlining duo Siegfried & Roy, until Roy suffered a devastating, paralyzing tiger bite injury to his neck onstage—sadly, on his birthday—in 2003. The injury was inflicted by 1 of the white tigers used in their show & their act had to be retired due to Roy’s injuries.

Roy survived the attack, though he never really recovered completely. Sadly, he died approximately 9 months ago, at age 75, from complications of the COVID-19 virus.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a word and a period, and remove an unneeded capital letter.
  • Sad 16

11 hours ago, Popples said:

On the one hand I am usually in favour of hiring based on acting talent vs trying to find a look alike. One the other hand does no one remember how terrible the Bewitched movie was? Is she trying to remind people of that?

• Like 11
  • Laugh 6

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Multiple sources, foreign & domestic (including The Daily Mail... which I did not link to; I used a Las Vegas-based source), state that famed illusionist Siegfried Fischbacher, 81, is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer. This is the same type of cancer which caused the November 8th death of longtime Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek after an approximately 20-month battle with the disease.

Siegfried & his longtime partner, Roy Horn, comprised the longtime, legendary, Las Vegas-based illusionist/magician headlining duo Siegfried & Roy, until Roy suffered a devastating, paralyzing tiger bite injury to his neck onstage—sadly, on his birthday—in 2003. The injury was inflicted by 1 of the white tigers used in their show & their act had to be retired due to Roy’s injuries.

Roy survived the attack, though he never really recovered completely. Sadly, he died approximately 9 months ago, at age 75, from complications of the COVID-19 virus.

Of course it needs to be remembered that the late Mr. Trebek defied the medical predictions and survived far longer than expected due to the factor of wanting to stay around for his family's sake but I'm not sure Mr. Fischbacher has any loved ones left in his life. Time will tell how long he survives the diagnosis.

• Like 4

Of course, it needs to be said that both Miss Messing and Miss Kidman are already older than Miss Ball was when she and Mr. Arnaz made their final split (at age 48) -to say nothing of being older than her being 29 when they first met. It also needs to be added Miss Ball was a natural brunette (albeit with stunning blue eyes). I'm not sure WHO the ideal living  performer would be to play the legendary comedienne but I'm not entirely sure Miss Kidman would have been the ideal choice. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

News for all us former Sleepy Hollow fans! 

Congratulations to Nicole Beharie for her Best Actress Gotham Award win for Miss Juneteenth.  Happy to see her career back on track. I shall forever be mad at TPTB for their ruination of Sleepy Hollow,  just as I'll stay mad at the cancellation of Bakersfield P.D.  

https://awardswatch.com/gotham-awards-winners-nomadland-is-best-feature-nicole-beharie-is-best-actress/

Sleepy Hollow began filming in Wilmington, NC. Then the state withdrew it’s tax incentive program and the show left to go be filmed in Georgia. They had to change a lot of things including crew which resulted in problems. I know someone who worked on the show, moved to Georgia and then left because it was no longer a nice work place. 

• Useful 6
  • Sad 8

22 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

These D-listers should be grateful that they're losing followers... because it meant they had followers to lose in the first place!

I keep forgetting that Randy Quaid isn't dead.

I laugh when they complained about losing followers. I think it's because D-listers are very egocentric and that gives their Twitter more power than their careers. However, losing followers and crying crocodile tears....big roll eye moment for me. They still have more followers. Hell, I don't know even think the A-listers care about how many followers they lose. So for them looking at the numbers of followers they had before, well, I have a bridge to sell you on that. Jeez...

• Like 8

The reboot of 'Will and Grace' had them do a tribute to 'I love Lucy' and Debra Messing did an amazing job playing Lucille Ball. I'm quite surprised she wasn't chosen for the role to be honest. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

The reboot of 'Will and Grace' had them do a tribute to 'I love Lucy' and Debra Messing did an amazing job playing Lucille Ball. I'm quite surprised she wasn't chosen for the role to be honest. 

I not sure that I can see Debra playing  Lucille Ball but she has Lucy Ricardo down. The movie isn’t a comedy but focuses on Lucy and Desi facing a crisis while filming an episode of I Love Lucy. They need an actress that can pull off both. Cate Blanchett was originally going to be the star. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 3
  • Useful 8

5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Can't we have ANY nice things?

Bruce has been a problematic asshole for a gazillion years so nope.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Simple. She's not a movie star.  She not even big studio streaming. She's part of the ever shrinking world of network TV. 

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Not Bruce Willis too.   Can't we have ANY nice things?

It's probably been decades since Bruce Willis counted as a nice thing. He's not Mel Gibson level, but... 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Simple. She's not a movie star.  She not even big studio streaming. She's part of the ever shrinking world of network TV. 

Debra Messing’s sell by date expired about a decade ago but apparently no one told her.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Debra Messing’s sell by date expired about a decade ago but apparently no one told her.

Or the people who have continued to regularly employ her because people apparently enjoy her. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 18
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Or the people who have continued to regularly employ her because people apparently enjoy her. 

Yes, the same ones who keep coming up with reboots of old shows because they can’t come up with a creative idea for new ones. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Yes, the same ones who keep coming up with reboots of old shows because they can’t come up with a creative idea for new ones. 

Why single out Messing and whoever hires her when everybody these days reboots/remakes/reimagines old TV shows and movies?  Wasn't Little Women just done for the umpteenth time with yet another A list cast?  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 17

29 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Why single out Messing and whoever hires her when everybody these days reboots/remakes/reimagines old TV shows and movies?  Wasn't Little Women just done for the umpteenth time with yet another A list cast?  

Remakes of remakes with has-beens and irrelevants. That’s an interesting business model.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Remakes of remakes with has-beens and irrelevants. That’s an interesting business model.

Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Saoirse Ronan, and Timothee Chalamet are has-beens and irrelevants? Tough crowd. 

• Like 21

13 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

So putting Nicole Kidman in the I Love Lucy movie (also not a new idea) is being creative and new?    I mean sure she was once a big actress but what has she done lately?   

I think the casting director went hey a red head and a hispanic guy, with recognizable names, we are set.   On to the Mertzes.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I mean sure she was once a big actress but what has she done lately?   

Nicole was in the highly acclaimed Big Little Lies miniseries, for which she won every television award available.

She was just in The Undoing last year, another highly acclaimed miniseries and her last major film role was in the Oscar nominated Bombshell.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

So putting Nicole Kidman in the I Love Lucy movie (also not a new idea) is being creative and new?    I mean sure she was once a big actress but what has she done lately?   

I think the casting director went hey a red head and a hispanic guy, with recognizable names, we are set.   On to the Mertzes.

Regarding the bolded, from Nicole’s Wikipedia page, This is what she’s done lately:

In 2016's Lion, Kidman portrayed Sue, the adoptive mother of Saroo Brierley, an Indian boy who was separated from his birth family, a role she felt connected to as she herself is the mother of adopted children.[93] She garnered rave reviews for her performance, as well as nominations for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, her fourth nomination overall, and her eleventh Golden Globe Awardnomination, among others. Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times thought that "Kidman gives a powerful and moving performance as Saroo's adoptive mother, who loves her son with every molecule of her being, but comes to understand his quest. It's as good as anything she's done in the last decade."[94] Budgeted at US$12 million, Lion earned over US$140 million globally.[95] She also gave a voice-over performance for the English version of the animated film The Guardian Brothers.[96]

Kidman at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival

In 2017, Kidman returned to television for Big Little Lies, a drama series based on Liane Moriarty's novel, which premiered on HBO. She also served as executive producer alongside her co-star, Reese Witherspoon, and the show's director, Jean-Marc Vallée. She played Celeste Wright, a former lawyer and housewife, who is concealing her abusive relationship with her husband, played by Alexander Skarsgård. Matthew Jacobs of The Huffington Postconsidered that she "delivered a career-defining performance",[97] while Ann Hornaday of The Washington Post wrote that "Kidman belongs in the pantheon of great actresses".[98] She won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for her performance, as well as winning the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Limited Series as a producer. She also won a Critics' Choice Television Award, Golden Globe Award, and Screen Actors Guild Award.[99][100]

Kidman next played Martha Farnsworth, the headmistress of an all-girls school during the American Civil War, in Sofia Coppola's drama The Beguiled, a remake of a 1971 film of the same name, which premiered at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, competing for the Palme d'Or.[101] Both films were adaptations of a novel by Thomas P. Cullinan, The film was an arthouse success, and Katie Walsh of Tribune News Service found Kidman "particularly, unsurprisingly excellent in her performance as the steely Miss Martha. She is controlled and in control, unflappable. Her genteel manners and femininity co-exist easily with her toughness."[102] Kidman had two other films premiere at the festival, the science-fiction romantic comedy How to Talk to Girls at Parties, reuniting her with director John Cameron Mitchell,[103][104] and the psychological thriller The Killing of a Sacred Deer, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, which also competed for the Palme d'Or.[103][104] Also in 2017, Kidman played supporting roles in the BBC Twotelevision series Top of the Lake: China Girl and in the comedy-drama The Upside, a remake of the 2011 French comedy The Intouchables, starring Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart.[105]

Kidman starred in two 2018 dramas —Destroyer and Boy Erased. In the former, she played a detective troubled by a case for two decades. Peter Debruge of Variety and Brooke Marine of W both found her "unrecognizable" in the role and Debruge added that "she disappears into an entirely new skin, rearranging her insides to fit the character’s tough hide",[106] whereas Marine highlighted Kidman's method acting.[107]The latter film is based on Garrard Conley's Boy Erased: A Memoir, and features Russell Crowe and Kidman as socially conservative parents who send their son (played by Lucas Hedges) to a gay conversion program. Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair credited all three performers for "elevating the fairly standard-issue material to poignant highs".[108] Also that year, Kidman played Queen Atlanna, the mother of the title character, in the DC Extended Universe superhero film Aquaman.[109] Nicole was interviewed for BAFTA A Life in Pictures in November 2018, where she reflected on her extensive career in film.[110]

Forbes ranked her as the fourth highest-paid actress in the world in 2019, with an annual income of $34 million.[111] She took on the supporting part of a rich socialite in John Crowley's drama The Goldfinch, an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Donna Tartt, starring Ansel Elgort.[112] Although it was poorly received, Owen Gleiberman commended Kidman for playing her part with "elegant affection".[113][114]She next starred alongside Charlize Theron and Margot Robbie in the drama Bombshell, about sexual harassment at Fox News, in which she portrayed Gretchen Carlson.[115] Manohla Dargis of The New York Times opined that despite lesser screen time than her two co-protagonists, Kidman successfully made Carlson "ever-so-slightly ridiculous, adding a sharp sliver of comedy that underscores how self-serving and futile her rebellious gestures at the network are".[116] For her performance in Bombshell, Kidman received another Screen Actor Guild nomination.[117]

Kidman currently portrays Grace Fraser, a successful therapist in New York, in the HBO psychological thriller miniseries The Undoing, based on the novel You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz.[118][119] Kidman serves as executive producer alongside the show's director, Susanne Bier, and David E. Kelley. Kelley previously adapted and produced Big Little Lies for television and also adapted The Undoing for television.

Kidman's only film release of 2020 is the musical comedy film The Prom based on the Broadway musical of the same name. Kidman will star in the film alongside Meryl Streep, James Corden and Andrew Rannells. The Prom was released on Netflix on 11 December 2020.[120]

Upcoming projects

Kidman will star in and serve as executive producer on three television series. She will first star in the Hulu miniseries Nine Perfect Strangers based on the novel of the same name by Liane Moriarty which is currently in production in Australia. Furthermore, Kidman will star in the Amazon Prime Video thriller miniseries Pretty Things based on the upcoming novel of the same name by Janelle Brown as well as the Amazon Prime Video family drama series Things I Know To Be True based on the Australian play of the same name.[121][122][123][124] Unlike Nine Perfect Strangers and Pretty Things, Things I Know To Be True is envisioned as an ongoing series with multiple seasons rather than a miniseries.[124]

Kidman will also serve as an executive producer for the television series The Expatriates for Amazon Prime Video.[125] In January 2021, Kidman and Javier Bardementered negotiations to play legendary Hollywood couple Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in Amazon Studios and Aaron Sorkin's Being the Ricardos.[126]

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the current model of constantly remaking/rebooting TV shows/movies.  But why pretend it's only with the breakouts, the has-beens, and the never-was? The same is happening where everyone from the producer to the prop master are considered industry A listers.  

9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Nicole was in the highly acclaimed Big Little Lies miniseries, for which she won every television award available.

Agreed.  Aand before television awards are discounted, with the industry concentrating on superhero movies, for many A list actors and directors the pendulum has swung over to cable television and streaming services.

• Like 14

Why pit two women against each other over a role and not talk about the men? Isn't there one Cuban male out there who could fulfill the role?

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Why pit two women against each other over a role and not talk about the men? Isn't there one Cuban male out there who could fulfill the role?

Good point! And who's to say that Miss Kidman and Miss Messing were the only performers out there that could have been considered to have played the legendary comedienne (to say nothing of how many Latin performers could have been in the running for her vital spouse)?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

emakes of remakes with has-beens and irrelevants.

What's an irrelevant?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I agree.  Nothing against Javier Bardem, but I don't see him playing Desi Arnaz.  Their physical presences are totally different.  I feel like he is being cast because he ticks a few boxes--Latino, big enough name, and the right age.  

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree.  Nothing against Javier Bardem, but I don't see him playing Desi Arnaz.  Their physical presences are totally different.  I feel like he is being cast because he ticks a few boxes--Latino, big enough name, and the right age.  

Javier is from Spain! Ricky was from Cuba. Lucille Ball was a Jamestown native from New York.

• Like 5

I feel like Javier is wrong for the role (way too physically imposing), but there isn't an obvious slam dunk for the role the way there is for Lucy.

• Like 12

Back in 1991, there was a Lucy-Desi CBS-TV movie, Lucy & Desi: Before the Laughter. It starred actress Frances Fisher as Lucy (she was Clint Eastwood’s longtime acting & life partner—she was in Unforgiven, among other movies with him, & I think she received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for the role—she & Clint also have a now adult daughter, Francesca) & Maurice Benard (General Hospital’s mob boss, Sonny Corinthos) as Desi. As I remember, the movie aired really close to when Maurice began playing Sonny on GH (but I might be wrong).

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To remove unnecessary italics and an unnecessary code.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

Back in 1991, there was a Lucy-Desi CBS-TV movie, Lucy & Desi: Before the Laughter. It starred actress Frances Fisher as Lucy (she was Clint Eastwood’s longtime acting & life partner—she was in Unforgiven, among other movies with him, & I think she received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for the role—she & Clint also have a now adult daughter, Francesca) & Maurice Benard (General Hospital’s mob boss, Sonny Corinthos) as Desi. As I remember, the movie aired really close to when Maurice began playing Sonny on GH (but I might be wrong).

That movie was a fucking insult. Both their children lashed out against it. And Maurice, the stuttering mumbling marble mouth started on General Hospital shortly after. And those still watching are stuck with his talentless ass.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That movie was a fucking insult. Both their children lashed out against it. And Maurice, the stuttering mumbling marble mouth started on General Hospital shortly after. And those still watching are stuck with his talentless ass.

I pass you honorary barware to throw in support of this post.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 10

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.