Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I only hope that deep-vee kangaroo pocket blazers with no shirt underneath willl sweep the nation.

I have never seen Shakespeare in Love, or any of the movies the people Gwyneth Paltrow was nominated against were in, so I have no comment on whether she deserved the award. But I was under the impression that if she did undeservedly win the award, it was because Harvey Weinstein went out of his way to ensure she won it, either so she'd have sex with him, or not get him in trouble for his previous abusive actions (or maybe he actually thought she deserved to win!), not because Paltrow herself was spending all the money to secure the win. So I find it a little off-putting that she'd be the one Glenn Close would call out.

IDK, but I did see Shakespeare In Love and was appalled that Gwyneth won an Oscar. It would have been hysterically funny, if it wasn’t so pathetic.  That was the moment I lost respect for the Academy Awards and realized that it is political and not really based on talent.  I haven’t cared much for it since.  It caused me to dislike Paltrow for a long time. As it turns out, she was pretty good in Talented Mr. Ripply, A Perfect Murder and Sylvia.  
I try not to carry grudges though. That happened a long time ago.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Shakespeare in Love's win as best Picture (over Saving Private Ryan) and Gwyneth's win (over Cate Blanchett) and even Judi Dench's supporting actress win (she was only screen for like 7 minutes) was a big shock at the time and very controversial.  I believe the consensus is that the movie's win  at least was very undeserved. 

Definitely very controversial. You could tell people were pissed that night. The 1999 Oscar Awards are considered one of the most WTF years because that's also when Roberto Benigni beat Tom Hanks for Best Actor. Incidentally, Life is Beautiful U.S. distribution came from - you guessed it, Miramax.

I remember Elton John a week after the ceremony, while on The David Letterman Show flat out calling that win a joke. Weinstein and company pushed Benigni as the adorably lovable goof that Hollywood just loved and embraced. It was all "isn't he so endearing". And many lapped it up. 

30 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I saw both at the time too and I was shocked that Gwyneth won.  Cate wuz robbed.

It's comforting though that Cate eventually and rightfully got hers, and now in fact has two Oscars - Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Meanwhile the only thing Paltrow's been in that's made any real money is Iron Man and she's never ever sniffed another Oscar nomination since. 

24 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's the part I never understood. She was basically Hollywood royalty anyway so why did HW have so much sway over her?

Because her parents may have been in the industry but they weren't exactly huge power players. Her mother was mostly a stage/television actress and same with her dad, who was mostly successful with television. We need to remember that when the "world" first came to know Gwyneth, it wasn't for being Bruce and Blythe's daughter, it was being Brad Pitt's girlfriend.

In other words, she actually didn't have as much sway and power as you would think. And this of course goes back to the fucked-up history and messiness of Hollywood. Not to mention its sexism. Nicole Kidman has flat out said she believed she was protected in some ways from all that harassment and awful behavior because she met and married Tom Cruise very soon after she settled in LA from Australia. And Tom we know at that time was most definitely a power player. 

I mean Angelina's father was an actor and Harvey still tried to come onto her like he did Gwyneth. Of course in that case Angelina essentially threatened to stab him in his sleep (this is conjecture. The official story is that she told him to back off but considering how nutty Angelina was back then, I doubt she was so nice about it) and refused to ever work with Miramax again. But he still felt bold enough to do it. 

The bottom line is Harvey wielded a lot of power in that industry for years and he destroyed, harassed and abused a lot of people to do it. And it's why he eventually got his. 

9 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meh, I guess I've got my actresses mixed up because google says Gwyneth's pink dress was Ralph Lauren. I know HW used to make actresses wear his wife's gowns though.

Yeah I was going to mention this. Believe it or not, that horrible dress was personally made for her by Ralph Lauren. It wasn't part of a collection. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 6

According to additional Tweets on the official Jeopardy! Twitter account, production will resume on November 30th, with Ken Jennings as (at least for now) an interim host (with others to follow).

After Alex Trebek’s death, it was announced that his last episode as host was scheduled to air on Christmas Day. However, as had been speculated here because of how many viewers would want to see Alex’s last appearance as host, making the importance of Christmas Day a bad day to air it (even though people do have DVRs & could record Alex’s last appearance if they had obligations keeping them away from their TVs), the airdates of Alex’s last week of shows as host has been changed.

According to the official Jeopardy! Twitter account, 10 of Alex’s best episodes as host will now air the weeks of December 21st & 28th, 2020, with Alex Trebek’s final week of shows as host now airing beginning January 4, 2021.

From PeopleAlex Trebek Cremated; Wife Will Keep Ashes at Their Home

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a link.
  • Useful 6

6 hours ago, janie jones said:

I only hope that deep-vee kangaroo pocket blazers with no shirt underneath willl sweep the nation.

I nearly spit a gravy-soaked dressing crumb onto my keyboard, the ramifications of which would be dire.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's the part I never understood. She was basically Hollywood royalty anyway so why did HW have so much sway over her? Including forcing to wear that pink dress (designed by his wife) that wasn't made her for body type. In the photos of her that night it seems like she's so uncomfortable in it.

You can blame Harvey for a lot of things but he had nothing to do with the pink dress, he was married to his first wife and wouldn’t marry Georgina Chapman (who wasn’t even a designer at the time) for almost a decade. The dress was designed by Ralph Lauren amd Gwyneth chose it. 

The reaction to the dress was divided but there is no question it was memorable.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

22 yrs his junior?  No, he couldn't. 

He's gotten to this age without getting married. Presumably there's a reason he finally decided it's something he wanted.  Look at George and Amal. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

On 11/25/2020 at 2:25 AM, NowVoyager said:

Glenn Close clearly in that: "F it. I'm just gonna say what I want to say" stage of life. 🤣

I don't go to movies so when I saw this post, I thought the reference was about "Hillbilly Elegy" being an SNL-like spoof of Goop. 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, Dani said:

I don’t feel bad for him but those contracts were drawn up and signed before streaming even existed. Other actors have talked about residuals drying up once a show is sold to Netflix. 

There's a long history of actors losing revenue due to contracts not covering residuals from things not in existence, or too new to be taken seriously, when signed.  Movie actors who lost money because their contract didn't cover "television".  Actors who lost money because their contract didn't cover syndication.  Or VCR.  Or DVD.  Streaming.  Foreign distribution.  A good agent will include all those things now.  Maybe even "to infinity and beyond" to take care of the unknown.    

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

A simple "however distributed" clause would address a lot of it.

But I remember the last writer's strike.   It was when streaming was just really getting started.   The first contract when DVDs became a thing, the producers offered a really low amount per DVD "because we just don't know how this will shake out.   We will revisit this when we know more."   Couple contracts later, despite the HUGE popularity of DVDs and sales through the roof, writers were literally getting pennies from DVD rights.   Every new contract, the producers refused to raise the DVD residuals.    Now it's streaming time and the Producers trot out the same damn line about streaming.   Again they promised to revisit it in the future.   This time, the writer's union refused to fall for it.   But then were forced to take a bad deal when the producers cut a deal with the directors and the actors' unions that only slightened sweeten the pot on streaming rights.   They refused to budge on the writer's deal but they were stuck.    The average union person in employee has to take the deal their union cuts with the studios.   Most of them can't negotiate a better contract unless a REALLY BIG NAME.   

But to go back to Chappelle and the analogies, its like he sold his house, and the new owners are renting it out and he wants them to stop renting it out.   Chappelle signed a contract that said the studio could do this.   He only got away with Netflix pulling his show (and cutting off the residiuals paltry as they are for everyone else without clout) because he is A BIG NAME now.   Nobody else could do that.   He is still pissed he lost creative control of that show and is showing it.   Without the thought of anyone else affected by his actions.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

22 yrs his junior?  No, he couldn't.  $20million in est. annual residual income plus a live-in nurse.  What more could a guy want?

To BE 22 years his junior- which Mr. Perry may think he somehow could be achieving via marrying someone that age!

49 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

A simple "however distributed" clause would address a lot of it.

But I remember the last writer's strike.   It was when streaming was just really getting started.   The first contract when DVDs became a thing, the producers offered a really low amount per DVD "because we just don't know how this will shake out.   We will revisit this when we know more."   Couple contracts later, despite the HUGE popularity of DVDs and sales through the roof, writers were literally getting pennies from DVD rights.   Every new contract, the producers refused to raise the DVD residuals.    Now it's streaming time and the Producers trot out the same damn line about streaming.   Again they promised to revisit it in the future.   This time, the writer's union refused to fall for it.   But then were forced to take a bad deal when the producers cut a deal with the directors and the actors' unions that only slightened sweeten the pot on streaming rights.   They refused to budge on the writer's deal but they were stuck.    The average union person in employee has to take the deal their union cuts with the studios.   Most of them can't negotiate a better contract unless a REALLY BIG NAME.   

Despite my own libertarian leanings, I was totally in support of the Writer's Strike, considering how creatives are so royally screwed over by the business side of Hollywood. I know that the Brady Bunch casts only got paid royalties for something like 4 years, before the show became part of the cultural zeigtgeist  and the Brady Bunch movies. While it isn't terrible to work into adult, those actors would probably be set for life. I am glad the writers didn't fall for the "wait and see" lie like they did with video and DVD. Anyone with a working brain knew that sooner or later, streaming would blow up, that is before smart phones and tablets. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But to go back to Chappelle and the analogies, its like he sold his house, and the new owners are renting it out and he wants them to stop renting it out.

The selling a house analogy isn’t at all accurate  unless the house is forever advertised as Chappelle’s House and includes holograms of him building the house. Then he can never build another house that looks anything like the first house again  

I can’t say that I agree with Chappelle’s calls for a boycott but I do think that the entertainment industry does mistreat talent whenever they can. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 7

The simple fact of the matter is that Taylor Swift doesn't much matter to me one way or the other, but Chappelle consistently profits from using his platform to shout down my community and its struggles with vitriol, and his actions and motives will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from me, any more than those of the Westboro Baptist Church will.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3

7 hours ago, Quof said:

He's gotten to this age without getting married. Presumably there's a reason he finally decided it's something he wanted.  Look at George and Amal. 

At some point, a man realizes that he won't be able scrub his own feet and wipe his own as..htrays.

• Laugh 8

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

At some point, a man realizes that he won't be able scrub his own feet and wipe his own as..htrays.

No matter how .. .smoking Mr. Perry may want others to believe he still is! 

For historical context, here's a Be Kind Rewind episode on Gwyneth's win and the way Harvey Weinstein changed Oscar campaigns.

The 1999 Oscars were basically his masterpiece and the mold for which future Oscar seasons would go. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 4

On 11/26/2020 at 6:45 PM, DearEvette said:

Shakespeare in Love's win as best Picture (over Saving Private Ryan) and Gwyneth's win (over Cate Blanchett) and even Judi Dench's supporting actress win (she was only screen for like 7 minutes) was a big shock at the time and very controversial.  I believe the consensus is that the movie's win  at least was very undeserved. 

I've seen all 3 movies, and fully believe that Shakespeare in Love deserved its Best Picture Oscar because it was the better overall movie.  Saving Private Ryan had an incredible opening 20 minutes, followed by 2 hours of bog-standard war movie; Shakespeare in Love was clever and emotionally involving, and more of the complete package.  As for Best Actress, I would've given it to Cate Blanchett, but Gwyneth Paltrow's performance was worthy of awards, if not maybe against Blanchett that year.

• Like 14

On 11/27/2020 at 9:30 AM, Blergh said:

To BE 22 years his junior- which Mr. Perry may think he somehow could be achieving via marrying someone that age!

Or, you know, maybe they're in love.

I have no idea who LaShana Lynch is, but I have no desire to see her, or any other woman, as 007.  I've got no problem with a black 007, but it should be fucking Idris Elba, damn it!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

Eric Clapton sparks backlash with anti-lockdown song with Van Morrison

I'm shocked....! Not! Too predictable given to Eric's history. Why am I not surprised?

As brilliant a guitarist Mr. Clapton is, he seems to have always been  one of the most unpleasant persons one could meet (and I also am not sure the authorities were as diligent about his son's fate as they could have been since it seemed one of the most unusual accidental deaths on record). 

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1

10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I have no idea who LaShana Lynch is, but I have no desire to see her, or any other woman, as 007.  I've got no problem with a black 007, but it should be fucking Idris Elba, damn it!

Is it a female 007 or a female Bond that bothers you. She’s playing the new 007 but she’s not playing James Bond. 

Edited by Dani

6 hours ago, Dani said:

Is it a female 007 or a female Bond that bothers you. She’s playing the new 007 but she’s not playing James Bond. 

I am totally not into James Bond, so this doesn't affect me at all. However, what I would think would have been smarter would have been to bring her into the last James Bond movie working with him, and then giving her her own film.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I am totally not into James Bond, so this doesn't affect me at all. However, what I would think would have been smarter would have been to bring her into the last James Bond movie working with him, and then giving her her own film.  

It’s not her film. Daniel Craig is still the lead. Bond retired at the end of the last movie which is how Lynch’s character becomes the new 007. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 4

9 hours ago, cynicat said:

Oh man, not Clapton.  His blues guitar music is genius and I don't know if I can enjoy it now, knowing this.  It turns my blues to purple.

Dude appropriated black music for a living yet hurled racial slurs at concerts and advocated sending the black folks in England back to Africa.  Someone who says "Get the coons out, keep Britain white" in the '70s and in "apologizing" for that decades later calls his then self "a kind of semiracist" despite - you guessed it - having black friends, dating a black woman, and playing black music is not someone I'm going to be surprised holds repugnant views now.  I like a lot of his songs, too, but he's shown himself for a long time.

• Like 13
  • Useful 7
  • Surprise 6
  • Sad 4

18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dude appropriated black music for a living yet hurled racial slurs at concerts and advocated sending the black folks in England back to Africa.  Someone who says "Get the coons out, keep Britain white" in the '70s and in "apologizing" for that decades later calls his then self "a kind of semiracist" despite - you guessed it - having black friends, dating a black woman, and playing black music is not someone I'm going to be surprised holds repugnant views now.  I like a lot of his songs, too, but he's shown himself for a long time.

Wow, I did not know these things about Eric Clapton.  I still have the Disraeli Gears album and I play it from time to time.  Now Clapton has ruined it for me. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've always despised the way he glommed on to B.B. King in the latter years of King's career.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Without context of the conversation, I only saw this quote and knew immediately you were talking about Eric Clapton. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Wow, I did not know these things about Eric Clapton.  I still have the Disraeli Gears album and I play it from time to time.  Now Clapton has ruined it for me.

My mum was a massive Cream fan. Their cassettes were non negotiable whenever we took a car trip and so I have a really strong sentimental attachment to them. I knew Jack Bruce was an asshole but in the standard nutcase musician way. I did NOT know Clapton was a racist manic. I'm not happy about Van Morrison, either. Why can't we ever have nice things?

• Like 8
  • Sad 10

I just tell myself that I can still enjoy all the music Phil Spector is responsible for despite the man himself being a walking garbage fire.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Ann Wilson reveals details of Carrie Brownstein penned Heart biopic

I am already excited about this news! I can't wait. My parents went to see them in the 70s and the 80s. They say it was the best experience of their lives. I could imagine why.

I went to see them a few years ago and it was easily the best concert I've seen since Fleetwood Mac's The Dance tour (with the full  Rumours-era lineup) back in the 90s. Ann and Nancy have still got it.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm both embarrassed and mortified that I never knew this about him.  Thank you for enlightening me, 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I just tell myself that I can still enjoy all the music Phil Spector is responsible for despite the man himself being a walking garbage fire.

Being a walking garbage fire is one thing. Murdering a woman who had a small role in 'Amazon Women On The Moon', the greatest, most hilarious bad movie I've ever seen, is quite another. The unmitigated gall. 

I've lost so many people with #metoo. I've had to handwave the fact that John Lennon was an awful father and possible wife beater and I'm hoping nothing (more) awful comes up. I can't listen to Michael Jackson anymore and I'm not prepared to being unable to listen to The Beatles. Just no. No ma'am. No.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Jennifer Lawrence's family farm in Kentucky burned down

That sucks! But wait...why is her brother asking for donations? Should he ask the one making the money to repair the damages?

Or you know insurance. I would hope that if the farm was being used as a summer camp it would have a ridiculously high amount of insurance (especially if kids are sleeping over). 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Or you know insurance. I would hope that if the farm was being used as a summer camp it would have a ridiculously high amount of insurance (especially if kids are sleeping over). 

That makes a lot of sense.

• Like 4

I can see why he might need donations to offset the difference between the insurance payout and the actual cost of getting things back to where they need to be.  Plus, I can't imagine thinking "Hey, no worries, I'll just get my sister to give me money" is a go to for a lot of people.  Maybe she is helping him out as a sister, but she's not responsible for fixing it.

• Like 12

21 hours ago, ouinason said:

I can see why he might need donations to offset the difference between the insurance payout and the actual cost of getting things back to where they need to be.  Plus, I can't imagine thinking "Hey, no worries, I'll just get my sister to give me money" is a go to for a lot of people.  Maybe she is helping him out as a sister, but she's not responsible for fixing it.

I hope it's that, although to be honest when I read the article and saw some of his religious comments my first thought was maybe it was a Ned Flanders thing where the brother doesn't believe in insurance and sees it as a form of gambling.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:05 AM, Iris987 said:

I've lost so many people with #metoo. I've had to handwave the fact that John Lennon was an awful father and possible wife beater and I'm hoping nothing (more) awful comes up. I can't listen to Michael Jackson anymore and I'm not prepared to being unable to listen to The Beatles. Just no. No ma'am. No.

I am sort of the same way. I still love the music of Led Zeppelin (even though Jimmy Page basically kidnapped a 14 year old girl because they were in a "relationship"). I also love the movies of Alfred Hitchcock even though by all accounts he was a brutal misogynist.

• Like 4

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.