Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

More happy baby news, from earlier this week... From the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette:

Actress Billie Lourd Introduces Newborn Son in Surprise Announcement

She is an actress & the daughter of the late actress & writer Carrie Fisher & the granddaughter of entertainment legend Debbie Reynolds. I think she played a younger version of her mom’s character, Princess/General Leia Organa, in some of the most recent Star Wars franchise movies.

If you get stopped by a subscriber paywall & wanna read the article, just click on the left side of the URL box, where you see the different sized letter A’s. That’ll put you in Reader View & you should be able to read the article; I can.

Yes. In the latest movie, the Rise of Skywalker, she played Leia in a brief flashback. Her fiance is Austen Rydell and her son is Kingston Fisher Lourd Rydell. Not only is that three last names, he's named after a bird! And the birth must have happened a couple of weeks back. Check out those wrinkly feet!

Edited by Anduin
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

So while many would choose to keep that information private, others feel forced to keep it private because that's how society says it should be.  I don't have kids but I bet there are many women/families that have gone through the same experience that appreciate someone is talking about it--that it doesn't have to be a secret or something to be ashamed about.

I don't think it's something to be ashamed about, I just think personal business should stay personal.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

So no one should post about the passing of their parents?  Or their weddings?  Or births?  Or new jobs? That's all personal.

I think it's the photos that are getting to me, I think the photo with them holding their dead baby crossed a line. But like I said, it's their choice, & I don't post on IG, or twitter, or FB, or any of those social media sites, so I don't have that mindset. Just my opinion. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, GaT said:

I think it's the photos that are getting to me, I think the photo with them holding their dead baby crossed a line. But like I said, it's their choice, & I don't post on IG, or twitter, or FB, or any of those social media sites, so I don't have that mindset. Just my opinion. 

Deathbed photography even for infants and children has been around as long as photography as has displaying those photos for people who felt comfort in them. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Personal business staying personal often results in people feeling ashamed or abnormal. Many people are responding to Chrissy’s posts sharing similar stories and pictures. It’s giving people an outlet to share their grief. 

Exactly. People used to not share cancer diagnosis because it was too “personal” and many still don’t because some people make those choices and others choose to share with all.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 13

13 hours ago, Blergh said:

I mean the first name is a bit of a mouthful and virtually the only nicknames I can think of that could come from it would be 'Sovvy' or 'Reigny' neither one being the most euphonious or smoothest out there. 

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

On the show, Ms. Ross’s character’s first name, I believe, is “Rainbow”,

And there's the best actual nickname.  Take the "Reign" from Sovereign and add the "Bo" to get "Rainbow".  A word that makes for a cute nickname, but still connected to the girl's actual name.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Yes. In the latest movie, the Rise of Skywalker, she played Leia in a brief flashback. Her fiance is Austen Rydell and her son is Kingston Fisher Lourd Rydell. Not only is that three last names, he's named after a bird! And the birth must have happened a couple of weeks back. Check out those wrinkly feet!

Fisher was Billie Lourd’s mom’s last name, yes. But in this case I think it’s meant as the baby’s middle name & not a last name. Probably the same with Lourd. I’d think if Lourd were meant to be (part of) the baby’s last name, it would be hyphenated with Rydell.

I can’t help but think Carrie Fisher would love having a grandson & Debbie Reynolds would equally love being a great grandmother. I’m just sorry they’re not here to enjoy their grandson. But hopefully Carrie’s brother, Todd, is enjoying being a great uncle enough for both of them.

I actually have 4 names on my birth certificate too. My given name, 2 middle names, both of which are female first names (the 2nd middle name is also my mom’s first name), so I know neither is supposed to be a last name, & my 1 & only last name.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Somebody on twitter just recently had a thread about that.  Some they included:

Sheila E. is Nicole Richie's aunt

Shaquille O'Neal and Bill Bellamy are cousins

Al Roker and Lenny Kravitz are second cousins (Al and Lenny's mother, Roxie were first cousins)

Brandy, Snoop Dogg and Sasha Banks (WWE wrestler) are all first cousins

The one that always blows my mind is that Kathie Lee Gifford was briefly a Kennedy.    I found this out when Taylor Swift was dating a Kennedy and got turned away from a wedding -- but Kathie Lee was invited.

• Surprise 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The one that always blows my mind is that Kathie Lee Gifford was briefly a Kennedy.

I just found out (through Reddit) that Kathie Lee's daughter Cassidy is married to Betsy DeVos's nephew after they popped up on Family Feud and he was shown wearing startlingly tight pants, a fact he only appeared to realize once the camera was on him.

• Laugh 2
  • Surprise 6

I'm with you, @GaT. Public displays of private moments, or what would have been private moments back when privacy existed, always strike me as excessive and dubious--it's not that a family would want to record that moment, but that the need to share it with the whole world instead of issuing a statement. It's too "look at me! Look at me!" because the whole world now consists of infants who need to be the center of attention at all times. In my opinion.

• Like 11

Aren't things bad enough? Do we really need to up the ante by having some monster punch Rick Moranis in the head?!

• Surprise 12
  • Sad 15

4 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Aren't things bad enough? Do we really need to up the ante by having some monster punch Rick Moranis in the head?!

Jerk! Rick is awesome. Hope they catch the asshole that did this to him. It makes me angry the way people treat seniors with no regard of themselves. I see all the time on TV. Put that bastard behind bars. I am so angry right now.

• Like 6
  • Sad 16

13 hours ago, SVNBob said:

And there's the best actual nickname.  Take the "Reign" from Sovereign and add the "Bo" to get "Rainbow".  A word that makes for a cute nickname, but still connected to the girl's actual name.

OK, that actually works but will Usher and the child's mother think of that? Personally, I like Iris better (FWIW- Iris was the name of the Greek Goddess of the Rainbow who would bring messages from Mt. Olympus down to the mortals via said rainbows and the Spanish term for rainbow still is 'arco de iris' despite over 1500 years of Christianity). In any case, congratulations to Mr. Raymond and his companion and it's great that the baby and her mother are doing well! 

8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The one that always blows my mind is that Kathie Lee Gifford was briefly a Kennedy.    I found this out when Taylor Swift was dating a Kennedy and got turned away from a wedding -- but Kathie Lee was invited.

That's  because her late husband Frank's daughter Victoria had married RFK and Ethel's son Michael LeMoyne Kennedy. Yes, the one who was under investigation for statutory rape of a teenaged family babysitter at the time of his abrupt death  from an apparent accident at a ski resort at age 39 in 1997. Victoria had separated from him from the time that the scandal re the babysitter broke  and had filed for divorce from him but was still legally married to him at the time of his death and they had had three children together.  Hence the 3rd (and final) Mrs. Frank Gifford was a stepmother-in-law to a Kennedy  until his death but is still a stepgrandmother to three Kennedys.  BTW, there was a time shortly after RFK's assassination  and between Mr. Gifford's first two marriages that there was speculation that the friendship between Mr. Gifford and the recently widowed Ethel Kennedy might have  become at least flirtatious and there was speculation of a possible impending marriage between the two single parents but that was not to be. However,  years later their respective kids DID marry and would make Mrs. Kennedy and Mr. Gifford mutual grandparents. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 7

“[Moranis] is doing well. He is strong. He is recovering,” said Detective Kaz Daughtry, one of six cops with the NYPD’s new Community Affairs Rapid Response team who checked on the actor at his Central Park West home Friday afternoon, to reporters.

Good to hear that. Hope the injuries he does have heal up okay. 

• Like 12

19 hours ago, Trini said:

Say what now??

I thought EVERYBODY knew that.  For years they were estranged, but have gotten close in the last 20 yrs of so.

9 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I thought EVERYBODY knew that.  For years they were estranged, but have gotten close in the last 20 yrs of so.

Well, I know of them, but they're not really celebrities of 'my' generation; so there's only so much trivia I know about them. I mean - I know he's a movie star, but the thing I'm most familiar with with Beatty in it is the "Ghetto Superstar" music video. 😬

• Like 2

OK, here's a few more links from the past. Shelley Fabares (who costarred in the Donna Reed Show in the 1960's and One Day at a Time in the 1970s, was a paternal niece of the comedienne Nanette Fabray (who altered the spelling of the family surname due to having once been intro'd as 'Nanette Fab-er-ASS').

From 1925 to 1929, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was married to Joan Crawford while his namesake father was married to Mary Pickford at the time but after father and son each divorced their respective mates, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. would wed   Lady Sylvia Ashley to who he was still wed to at the time of his sudden death in 1939.  From 1949 to 1952, Sylvia Ashley Fairbanks was wed to Clark Gable- prompting his onetime flame Joan Crawford to tell him 'If I'd stayed married to Douglas[Jr.], you'd have been my father-in-law!'. .not exactly. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 6

I knew Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are siblings but I always forget until it's brought up again.

Another celebrity relatives are Melissa McCarthy and Jenny McCarthy who are cousins.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Amanda Knox lends support to NXIVM leader Keith Raniere.

FYI for those who just read the headline and not the article, she's not claiming he is innocent or even wrongfully convicted; she said she does not know enough about the case to form an opinion, but did - based on her own trial experience - agree when asked by some of his supporters to sign on to a petition demanding prosecutors answer whether they committed misconduct such as tampering with evidence, suborning perjury, and threatening witnesses.

Also, the original article (from the Albany Times Union) that AOL article is summarizing goes into how Raniere is directing this stunt:

“These efforts appear to be directed by the defendant Keith Raniere, as reflected in the enclosed correspondence from defendant Keith Raniere through his prison email account,” Assistant U.S. Attorneys Tanya Hajjar and Mark Lesko told the judge, who will sentence Raniere on Oct. 27.

The effort includes many of the same Raniere disciples who, in a show of support for him and other inmates amid the COVID-19 pandemic, began dancing this summer outside the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, where Raniere is being held.

They now say they are part of a new group, Make Justice Blind, which they described as a partnership between their group and the media. The group's team is comprised entirely of longtime members of NXIVM, including actress Nicki Clyne and Michele Hatchett, two members of Raniere’s secret “master/slave” group in which women were branded on their pelvic areas with Raniere’s initials. Also on board are NXIVM member Eduardo Ansunsolo, who attended Raniere's trial; Marc Elliot, a longtime NXIVM member and motivational speaker who credits Raniere with helping him overcome Tourette syndrome; and Suneel Chakravorty, who attended Raniere’s trial and has been in contact with the jailed Raniere.

Raniere wrote the most recent documents himself, as evidenced in a petition he sent to Chakravorty on June 16. Chakravorty then emailed the petitions ...

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 9

18 hours ago, Anduin said:

She actually played Lt. Connix in the three Star Wars sequels, and it seems like she was even in a scene or two with her mom. Great news about her having a baby. I would have loved hearing what Carrie had to say about being a grandmother. 😞

6 hours ago, Dani said:

Exactly. There is a real stigma around miscarriages and Chrissy’s posts has opened up a lot of discussion on the topic. 

‘Incredibly Courageous’: Psychologist Says Chrissy Teigen Helping To End Miscarriage Stigma

Here is another op-ed - Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are heroes, not oversharers

Edited by lurkerbee · Reason: Overuse of great
  • Like 7

Ooh, one more,  Kate Burton who played Sally Langston on Scandal is Richard Burton's daughter.  Her mother was Richard Burton's first wife that he cheated on with Liz Taylor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 6

1 hour ago, lurkerbee said:

She actually played Lt. Connix in the three Star Wars sequels, and it seems like she was even in a scene or two with her mom. 

That’s true but she also played young Leia in a flashback. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

He needs help. He was getting his act together and getting cast in respectable movies, and he pulls this.

I'm not shocked. Did anyone watch his Spicoli table read? I didn't find it as hilarious as Sean Penn did. I thought Shia was disturbing to watch because he was barely coherent. He wasn't playing a loveable stoner. He was a total trainwreck.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

From 1962 to 1975, Larry Linville ( Major Frank Burns of M*A*S*H) was married to one Kate Geer- a daughter of Will Geer ( The Walton's Grandpa Zebulon) but  before that union ended in divorce, the Linvilles had a daughter Kelly (Mr. Linville's only child- despite his four subsequent marriages). While most agree that Mr. Linville had little in common with Frank offcamera, almost everyone who knew him admits that Mr. Geer more or less wound up playing Grandpa as himself (though somewhat toned down and more considerate yet unquestionably a literal force of nature). Even though these two actors were in very popular shows in the mid 1970's, this trivia mostly stayed off the celeb radar. Still, can anyone imagine what Thanksgiving with Major Burns and Grandpa Walton must have been like? LOL

• Useful 2
  • Laugh 11

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:
On 10/2/2020 at 12:27 AM, biakbiak said:

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep is a volunteer organization of professional photographers who will take pictures of stillborn children and their families and give them a beautiful album as a reminder.  I expect it was someone like that who took the photos that Chrissy posted.  She's always been very upfront with her life including her struggles with infertility, IVF and choosing her children's gender, as well as postpartum depression.

The Afghans for Angels Project accepts blankets for distribution to hospitals for parents to wrap their infant angels in.   The parents can then keep the blanket so they have something tangible that was once their child's.    I have to go finish a quilt for them now.   I'll say Chrissy sent me.

• Like 19
  • Useful 5

OK, while I think it's good that said quilts and photos can help families who've been having to deal with stillbirths, I just hope that Miss Teigen and Mr. Legend are bracing themselves for the probability that via sharing all that on social media, they can get flak from all kinds of kooks, haters, scammers, frauds, etc. that they wouldn't have had to have dealt to have dealt with during this heartwrenching time   had they just shared the photos with  only their close and supportive friends and family.  Yes, I know it was their call but I truly hope they don't live to regret said call for the above reason. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, while I think it's good that said quilts and photos can help families who've been to deal with stillbirths, I just hope that Miss Teigen and Mr. Legend are bracing themselves for the probability that via sharing all that on social media, they can get flak from all kinds of kooks, haters, scammers, frauds, etc. that they wouldn't have had to have dealt with had they just shared the photos with  only their close and supportive friends and family.  Yes, I know it was their call but I truly hope they don't live to regret said call for the above reason. 

Given that Chrissy has been harassed and targeted by QAnon psychotic assholes for months and months about how she is at the head of a cabal of Satan worshipping pedophiles who drink the blood of babies and are literally accusing her of murdering her baby I am pretty sure she is extremely aware of the downsides of living her life on social media.

• Like 13
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 13

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Pictures of dead children used to be common in the 19th century

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

Sometimes it was the only picture they had, being picture exposure took a long time, there weren’t many photographers, and it was expensive.

And not just children, but adults as well.  Especially mothers who would die young.  

They’re called Momento Mori.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

8 hours ago, Blergh said:

From 1962 to 1975, Larry Linville ( Major Frank Burns of M*A*S*H) was married to one Kate Geer- a daughter of Will Geer ( The Walton's Grandpa Zebulon) but  before that union ended in divorce, the Linvilles had a daughter Kelly (Mr. Linville's only child- despite his four subsequent marriages). While most agree that Mr. Linville had little in common with Frank offcamera, almost everyone who knew him admits that Mr. Geer more or less wound up playing Grandpa as himself (though somewhat toned down and more considerate yet unquestionably a literal force of nature). Even though these two actors were in very popular shows in the mid 1970's, this trivia mostly stayed off the celeb radar. Still, can anyone imagine what Thanksgiving with Major Burns and Grandpa Walton must have been like? LOL

And also on the “unusual celebs related by marriage” subject, I should’ve/could’ve used it as my Helen Reddy-related anecdote when her death was announced the other day, but I forgot about it. She was related to Emmy-winning actress Michael Learned (Olivia Walton, the family matriarch on The Waltons) by the marriage of their kids. Helen’s daughter, Traci (that’s her,  as a child, talking to Helen at the beginning & end of Helen’s hit “You and Me Against the World”, if you’re familiar with that version of the song) married Michael’s son Lucas, from her marriage to the late actor Peter Donat, way back in 1984.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To fix spacing.
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.