Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

'm iffy on opinions.  Yes, we can all have them.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they all have to be respected equally or don't deserve push back/debate. 

Of course not. But, what I like about what you said, is that you are expressing your opinion on her opinion.  Not attacking her personally for holding it.  I actually see both sides of the issue.  But, I've hated awards shows for a long time, so I really don't care what rules the Oscars makes about who is worthy to win their prizes.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Oscars are a joke. You can immediately tell who will be nominated and whatever film best represents the 'issue' of the award season will win. Once every 20 years the right person will win or the right person will win for the wrong role because they got screwed out of it the year before. I mean Tom Hanks winning back to back? For Forest Gump (love the soundtrack though)? I couldn't tolerate him for years because of that and the only thing that saved him was his appearance in my favorite movie ever, The Burbs. That bought him a lot of grace. And I like him now and think he's quite good but back then? Ugh. Pure award clickbait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iris987 said:

Yeah, the Oscars are a joke. You can immediately tell who will be nominated and whatever film best represents the 'issue' of the award season will win. Once every 20 years the right person will win or the right person will win for the wrong role because they got screwed out of it the year before. I mean Tom Hanks winning back to back? For Forest Gump (love the soundtrack though)? I couldn't tolerate him for years because of that and the only thing that saved him was his appearance in my favorite movie ever, The Burbs. That bought him a lot of grace. And I like him now and think he's quite good but back then? Ugh. Pure award clickbait.

I've always felt that the Oscars are more a popularity contest than about awarding the "best" performance. I mean, there have been people who have won that have deserved it but some others make me think huh. But that's also subjective. I can think Saoirse Ronan deserved to win over Renee Zelwegger but that's my opinion and others might disagree. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Billina said:

I thought she earned that Oscar.  Comedy is hard to do, not often recognized by the Academy, and she gave a great performance.  

*crickets*

I really do appreciate comedy and I agree with you that AMPAS snubs the mere notion, but for me, that particular performance was unworthy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

I've always felt that the Oscars are more a popularity contest than about awarding the "best" performance. I mean, there have been people who have won that have deserved it but some others make me think huh.

Pretty much all entertainment awards are a popularity contest. I have long thought that a big reason that Bryan Cranston beat Jon Hamm all those years in a row was that he worked in hollywood for so long and knew so many people. Not that his emmys were undeserved, but if I am another actor voting and Cranston and Hamm were both equally outstanding, but I did a guest spot on Malcolm in the Middle or some other show and Cranston was super nice to me, then I'm voting for him.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Billina said:

I thought she earned that Oscar.  Comedy is hard to do, not often recognized by the Academy, and she gave a great performance.  

*crickets*

21 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'll sit at your table, die on that hill, and all those other cliches, because I complete agree with you about Marisa Tomei's win!

I just revisited this film a couple of weeks ago, and I agree.  

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, Billina said:

*crickets*

I completely agree.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

A table read isn't the same as them getting married (and no casting director would think either of them could be cast as a student).

Well, if Miss Aniston and Mr. Pitt DO get together to permanently reunite, they'd need to adopt if they actually want to have children at this time of their lives. 

• Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

A table read isn't the same as them getting married (and no casting director would think either of them could be cast as a student).

Well, if Miss Aniston and Mr. Pitt DO get together to permanently reunite, they'd need to adopt if they actually want to have children at this time of their lives. 

Brad Pitt could play the creepy older guy who picks up teenaged Stacey Hamilton. He would kind of be perfect for that part.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Jesus Christ they were just on the same Zoom call not in the same room! My main question is who the hell invited Dane Cook?

It was Dane's thing.  A 'Dane Cook Presents Feelin’ A-Live' benefit with proceeds going toward the original movie’s star Sean Penn’s CORE nonprofit and REFORM Alliance.  I only know because I googled it yesterday because I had the same exact reaction as you.  And this is the most I will have ever have to say or think about Dane Cook for the next 10 yrs.

• Useful 6
  • Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

It was Dane's thing.  A 'Dane Cook Presents Feelin’ A-Live' benefit with proceeds going toward the original movie’s star Sean Penn’s CORE nonprofit and REFORM Alliance.  I only know because I googled it yesterday because I had the same exact reaction as you.  And this is the most I will have ever have to say or think about Dane Cook for the next 10 yrs.

Well now I think less of all the participants because that’s how much I dislike him!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Producers and directors aren't just going to go grab some random person off the street to fulfill a quota.  Odds are, they'll rethink how they find talent to work on their movies instead of looking for the easy answers of "Oh I worked with that guy at Haaarvard. He was pretty cool and he'd probably be good at this job."

Yeah, because they still want to make a good movie that is going to make them money. It is just a way of kind of pushing them towards having a broader net out when casting. What I'm hoping it does is break the fairly incestuous nature of casting so that people who don't "know somebody" or have "an in" will get looked at. Best case scenario, we find some amazing new talents out there. Worst case scenario, we find some fairly decent new talents out there. Either way it is forcing this tight little circle to open up a bit.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Pretty much all entertainment awards are a popularity contest. I have long thought that a big reason that Bryan Cranston beat Jon Hamm all those years in a row was that he worked in hollywood for so long and knew so many people. Not that his emmys were undeserved, but if I am another actor voting and Cranston and Hamm were both equally outstanding, but I did a guest spot on Malcolm in the Middle or some other show and Cranston was super nice to me, then I'm voting for him.

I stopped "believing" in awards shows when my boss gave me her Emmy ballots and let me vote for her. Now, I was freaking THRILLED and thought it was the coolest thing ever, but it also showed me how even those who vote don't take it all that seriously. And admittedly, I did not watch every show nominated for every category I got to vote in, and I am VERY opinionated, especially when it comes to TV, so I just picked the shows I liked rather than thinking deeply about which ones are best crafted or the most influential or whatever. It was more "ooh, I love this show", "I've never watched any in this category but I've heard about this one".

So yeah, awards shows are not even remotely about finding the best show/actor/etc, it's about which are most popular, which company paid to have a large number of their staff vote, and who gets the most "buzz". 

So I can't get too worked up or excited about inclusive-ity in awards since it's all just BS anyway. Unless they do some kind of quantifiable catagory, like "Most non-white actors in a show" it is all going to be subjective anyway. 

What I am curious about is how much weight awards still have, what with social media "buzz" and "trending" being bigger ways of marketing your show. I honestly can't tell you if any of the shows I watch have been nominated for or won any awards. That isn't how I choose what I'm going to watch. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

How does the voting work? Ie the nominees for the Emmys, Globes and Oscars. Who picks the nominees and the winners?

42 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

How does the voting work? Ie the nominees for the Emmys, Globes and Oscars. Who picks the nominees and the winners?

They are all different.  I think the Emmys has the most convoluted process.  The Golden Globes are picked by like 25 people, because they are chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press.  The Oscars the different guilds vote in their areas -- directing, writing, etc -- but everybody in the Academy get to vote on the acting and picture categories and I think maybe songs.

Edited by DearEvette

13 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

The Oscars the different guilds vote in their areas -- directing, writing, etc -- but everybody in the Academy get to vote on the acting and picture categories and I think maybe songs.

The different branches vote for the nominees (including actors) everyone in the Academy votes for the actual awards.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

For the Emmy's I believe the nominees are selected by committee, then everyone who is a member of the Academy is given a ballot. I know that my boss was only given the major categories to vote, not all the technical categories. She/we worked for a major network that had shows in the major categories. I only remember voting for Best Drama, Comedy, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress and I think a couple more categories but this was a good 15-20 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Oh yikes! It was more like 20-25 years ago! 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

The Golden Globes are picked by like 25 people, because they are chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press. 

Lol, it's not that bad. It's 90 members. 

Both Oscars and Grammy have the specific Guild/Genre sections vote on the nominees but the entire Academy (Motion Picture for Oscars, Recording for Grammy) votes on the winners.

• Laugh 3

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Jesus Christ they were just on the same Zoom call not even in the same room! My main question is who the hell invited Dane Cook?

The continued "Brad and Jen forever" crap continues to baffle and amuse me. People forget so quickly - well I guess it also speaks to the long standing "Angelina the man stealing whore stole him from America's sweetheart" narrative that ran for years. 

When the truth is there were rumors of Brad and Jennifer's marriage being in trouble long before he met and worked with Angelina on Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Then there were all the years of not so subtle shady comments from Brad about how bored and unfulfilled he was in his "previous life" once he settled with Angie, who at the time could do no wrong in his eyes. 

And his most recent stunt showed how petty and cruel dude can be and it backfired a bit on him. Making sure he's photographed with his current 25 year old fling at the location he and Angelina got married during the weekend that would have been their anniversary. Yeah, totally a coincidence. 

I obviously don't know for certain what went down with Brad and Angelina but it's obvious there is a lot of messiness going on, that's led to a lot pettiness and bitterness, particularly on Brad's end.  So seeing people all "Brad and Jen forever" is the most eye-roll inducing thing ever.

Not to mention, the cynic in me thinks he played into all that during Award season, also to fuck with Angelina. I do think it's funny that meanwhile Angelina continues to be mostly invisible and only pops up in pictures with her whole brood of six children, looking like the doting mother. Are those pictures probably staged by her, hell yeah. 

But PR wise - what looks better, single mother doting on her kids, quietly living her life or dude looking a hot mess, running around with "IG models" more than half his age, who are still legally married themselves to a dude even older than him. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 20
  • Useful 2

On 9/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, truthaboutluv said:

The continued "Brad and Jen forever" crap continues to baffle and amuse me. People forget so quickly - well I guess it also speaks to the long standing "Angelina the man stealing whore stole him from America's sweetheart" narrative that ran for years. 

When the truth is there were rumors of Brad and Jennifer's marriage being in trouble long before he met and worked with Angelina on Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Then there were all the years of not so subtle shady comments from Brad about how bored and unfulfilled he was in his "previous life" once he settled with Angie, who at the time could do no wrong in his eyes. 

And his most recent stunt showed how petty and cruel dude can be and it backfired a bit on him. Making sure he's photographed with his current 25 year old fling at the location he and Angelina got married during the weekend that would have been their anniversary. Yeah, totally a coincidence. 

I obviously don't know for certain what went down with Brad and Angelina but it's obvious there is a lot of messiness going on, that's led to a lot pettiness and bitterness, particularly on Brad's end.  So seeing people all "Brad and Jen forever" is the most eye-roll inducing thing ever.

Not to mention, the cynic in me thinks he played into all that during Award season, also to fuck with Angelina. I do think it's funny that meanwhile Angelina continues to be mostly invisible and only pops up in pictures with her whole brood of six children, looking like the doting mother. Are those pictures probably staged by her, hell yeah. 

But PR wise - what looks better, single mother doting on her kids, quietly living her life or dude looking a hot mess, running around with "IG models" more than half his age, who are still legally married themselves to a dude even older than him. 

I hate the idea that someone can steal another person's spouse. These are adults capable of making their own decisions.

• Like 24

That viewpoint not only takes away the responsibility of the cheater being unfaithful, but it sort of takes away their agency as a person.  Brad wasn't a toy that was stolen at a sleepover at Jen's house, he made a decision to cheat/leave.  There is a point where I think the fans stop seeing these celebs as real people, and that is gross.

• Like 21

I don't understand why some people must force everything to be romantic either. If Brad and Jen managed to come through all the drama to end up as friends (heh. No pun intended), then that's a happy ending.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 16
  • Laugh 1

46 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't understand why some people must force everything to be romantic either. If Brad and Jen managed to come through all the drama to end up as friends (heh. No pun intended), then that's a happy ending.

Agreed. Anyway it sounds like the fundamentally wanted different things in life so the divorce was always going to be inevitable.

i will say I still can’t Angelina though. Leaving Aniston out of it, the Brangelina era was eye rolling. I never got the hype of it and always saw it eventually crumbling. I feel he goes through the same motions with all his exes - infatuation, adapts To their lifestyle, Even starts to dress like them before usually it all blows up. I find her to just be really full of it in every interview or appearance I’ve ever seen her in. 

• Like 17

On 9/16/2020 at 3:50 AM, methodwriter85 said:

the Table Read sounds like Fun. I'm betting Jennifer is playing Linda. (Age and cast type aren't really in consideration with the table read.)

This is very true, although it is also true that even though Aniston is too old for the role, if she did play Linda in a shot for shot remake of Fast Times, that movie would make a crap ton of money. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I find her to just be really full of it in every interview or appearance I’ve ever seen her in. 

Word.    I have never liked her.   She just tries too hard to be seen as the perfect mother while also being a Hollywood A Lister (something else I never understood I don't think her acting is all that great).   She works so hard to project that image that you have to imagine she is very exhausting to actually be around.   

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Word.    I have never liked her.   She just tries too hard to be seen as the perfect mother while also being a Hollywood A Lister (something else I never understood I don't think her acting is all that great).   She works so hard to project that image that you have to imagine she is very exhausting to actually be around.   

IOW,  Miss Jolie is somewhat like a latter day Mia Farrow- and look how well that worked out for everyone!

• Like 10

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate the idea that someone can steal another person's spouse. These are adults capable of making their own decisions.

This. Say it louder for the folks in the back. It's why I always appreciated David Arquette saying on Howard Stern, a few years after the whole Brad and Jen split/Brangelina started, that no one was entirely innocent in that whole situation but that fundamentally they were all good people. I always assumed his perspective came from being married to Courtney Cox at the time, who is besties with Jennifer. 

7 hours ago, ouinason said:

That viewpoint not only takes away the responsibility of the cheater being unfaithful, but it sort of takes away their agency as a person.  Brad wasn't a toy that was stolen at a sleepover at Jen's house, he made a decision to cheat/leave.  There is a point where I think the fans stop seeing these celebs as real people, and that is gross.

I think it's also the combination of good old fashioned sexism and misogyny. The woman always gets blamed. We're the whores, sluts, manipulative, etc. And the worse of it is that OTHER WOMEN are the ones slinging the most vicious of these accusations. At this point, Brad's like teflon - nothing sticks to him. 

He was the one who took vows with Jennifer Aniston and yet Angelina got all the hatred for their relationship. He and Angelina break up and it's all but confirmed that he had some type of drinking problem, that a situation happened on the plane that resulted in his currently having a nonexistent relationship with his oldest child and people still find a way to put it all on her. 

Hollywood practically laid down the red carpet for him during his Oscar run, all while kiki'ing it up at his many not so subtle digs against his ex-wife or soon to be ex-wife, in some of these speeches. And the middle America moms lap up all the Brad and Jen stuff, going on about some great reunion, like this man didn't leave this woman for another woman, talk about how unhappy he was then too, and again, admittedly had or has some type of drinking problem and issues that led to his current divorce. And yet folks are like, "Brad and Jen Forever". The hell?

All that to say, btw, I actually kind of like or am indifferent to all parties involved here. Which is why I was always forever Team No One. 

2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'm shocked. Shocked! Didn't he cheat on her multiple times? And didn't she send her bodyguards to beat up the women he supposedly cheated with? 

Yes and Yes. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 22

56 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. Say it louder for the folks in the back. It's why I always appreciated David Arquette saying on Howard Stern, a few years after the whole Brad and Jen split/Brangelina started, that no one was entirely innocent in that whole situation but that fundamentally they were all good people. I always assumed his perspective came from being married to Courtney Cox at the time, who is besties with Jennifer. 

Yeah. Seems to me it was a situation that happens all the time, Brad and Angelina started up before Brad and Jen were officially over. No one is the devil. And if anyone is the “most wrong” it was certainly BRAD, not Jen or Angelina!

3 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'm shocked. Shocked! Didn't he cheat on her multiple times? And didn't she send her bodyguards to beat up the women he supposedly cheated with? 

Why would you send a body guard to beat up the WOMEN?(not that beating anyone up is ever okay of course). I could see Cardi being upset and going to look for her husband, but wtf. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Why would you send a body guard to beat up the WOMEN?

Bodyguards, friends, Bloods/gangmembers... eight of them were ordered to attack 2 sisters.  3 including Cardi facing felonies.

Sure, that'll make him stop cheating.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah the Jen/Brad/Angelina thing has always had me rolling my eyes with the fervor that people took sides.

Personally, I was Team Fuck Brad.  He was the one who cheated.  So your marriage is not great?   Ok, but wait til you and your spouse agree shit is really over-over and then you can move on.

Also I was (and still am) Team Can't Stand Angelina Even If Brad Did Not Exist.  She has annoyed me since she appeared on my screens.  Even more so when she went from Goth Sex Goddess who may or may not have fucked her brother to St.  Angelina of the Jolies whose very carefully crafted public persona screamed PR fiction.

And Finally I was (and still am ) Team Jennifer Aniston Does Not Need To Have Babies, You MotherFuckers!

Same here. The only thing I'd add is I've never been a fan of Brad's either. I've always thought he was a terrible actor. I've never liked any of his movies or characters. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And Finally I was (and still am ) Team Jennifer Aniston Does Not Need To Have Babies, You MotherFuckers!

Yes. Say it louder for the people in the back. I always thought both of them were too good for Brad. I am an Angelina fan too, but I love how Jen reps for us Childfree women. 

• Like 8

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.