Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Felicity Huffman is a great actor, but I will never believe there was any element of performance in her courtroom conduct.  She got the ever-loving shit scared out of her by that ridiculous early-morning gunpoint raid, and her kids were scared, hurt, and angry.  Reality hit her hard in a hurry.  I believe she was sorry to have done it, not just sorry to have got caught. 

She never tried to parse and argue language, she just emphasized that the extra time was legitimate (something her daughter had long been getting and thus not anything to make the daughter question the arrangement; the kid knew nothing about answers being changed after she completed the test) and said, yes, unfortunately everything else laid out in detail by the prosecution is exactly what happened.  She pleaded guilty, quietly did her time, and has been quietly doing her community service (and, presumably, quietly attempting to repair the damage done to her relationship with her kids).

With Huffman and Loughlin being the most famous among the "Varsity Blues" defendants, their every move has been scrutinized and reported, and the contrast between the two has been consistently stark.  A good PR and/or legal team can't fully wrangle a client who thinks she didn't actually do anything wrong and this is all a bunch of fuss over nothing; that underlying whiff always comes through no matter the words.  

While I do think that's the case and Felicity was being honest especially given her daughter's reaction. I don't rule out the possibility that it could be an act. Either way she handled it the right way. She took responsibility, she sounded remorseful and accepted her punished. That goes along way for her fans and public opinion. She didn't act like an entitled rich person who thought she was above the law because she was rich and a celebrity. It helped with the judge and kept people from having an overly harsh opinion of her. Lori of course acted exactly like that. She took no responsibility for what she did. Acted like she was above the law and then trying to claim she was innocence. Even though we all know that clearly wasn't the case. The emails from her made it clear she knew what she was doing. Then later trying to insist she was the victim in all of it. She dragged it out for over a year only to end up with pretty much the same results.  Until it came out Lori had a reputation as a nice Hallmark person (although there were some questioning it over in When Calls the Heart) and now most people know she's really just an rich entitled snob who thinks she's above the law. She could have taken the same road Felicity took and kept her reputation as a "nice Hallmark person".  But she didn't. Maybe Felicity was acting the whole time and maybe she wasn't. But she played it right. 

• Like 16

7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Jerry Falwell Jr has  revealed his wife did have an affair with the pool boy and they were facing blackmail. 

Sounds like a worse than usual Lifetime movie. 😝

• Laugh 5

2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Or maybe they both did.  Simultaneously. 

More popcorn?

Whatever happened, he’s stepped down from Liberty University: BBC News (This was, like, the only link I saw. I don’t know why I didn’t see US press links.)

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a link and a comment about the link.
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Close.  Apparently Jerry liked to watch.

...well, that goes on my list of things I could've gone my whole life without knowing, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 20

34 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

..well, that goes on my list of things I could've gone my whole life without knowing, thanks

Its not even an interesting fetish. Put some effort into your hypocrisy, Falwell. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 14

3 minutes ago, Iris987 said:

Its not even an interesting fetish. Put some effort into your hypocrisy, Falwell. 

This made me laugh. And I needed it today. Thank you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Jerry Falwell Jr has  revealed his wife did have an affair with the pool boy and they were facing blackmail. Flashback to Jimmy Swaggart and his infamous "I have sinned!" confession.  Popcorn anyone?

Here's what you need the popcorn for:

Click on the twitter link and settle in for an awesome reply thread. My fave: "Is tuition cheaper if I watch from the corner of the room?"

• Like 2
  • Laugh 21

11 minutes ago, sadiegirl said:

This made me laugh. And I needed it today. Thank you.

👍Sending you good vibes. And forget that 'we go high' stuff. Gloating is good for the soul.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

20 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Here's what you need the popcorn for:

Click on the twitter link and settle in for an awesome reply thread. My fave: "Is tuition cheaper if I watch from the corner of the room?"

Oh, man, thank you for this. The comments are gold

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I clicked and damn! I'm shocked Liberty didn't utilize the disable replies feature.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

NBC News says a Facebook glitch led to a post where Kevin Hart's photo was used for their article about Usain Bolt having Covid.

Maybe so, but there's a long history of black celebrities getting "mistaken" for one another in the media, regardless of any actual resemblance.

Bindi Irwin is having twins? Wow, time flies... Congratulations to them.

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 17

28 minutes ago, Dejana said:

He always felt a lot younger than me. Turns out, it was actually under two years younger. 😞

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Maybe so, but there's a long history of black celebrities getting "mistaken" for one another in the media, regardless of any actual resemblance.

Heck, I keep seeing an ad online where Jen & Bill from The Little Couple on TLC are depicted, but the copy under the pic talks about a different famous little people family. So it’s not only African-Americans (or people of any other ethnicity).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dejana said:

I literally need them to be more specific about the exact nature of this “glitch” because it seems extremely unlikely. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I literally need them to be more specific about the exact nature of this “glitch” because it seems extremely unlikely. 

They said they explained more in that article but...they didn't?

But from what I can guess based on my limited Facebook knowledge is that the link to the article was shared to Facebook.  Facebook, as it is wont to do, looks on the page for a visual representation of the link that it automatically adds to a post.  The article has a photo of Bolt and an embedded video of Kevin Hart talking about being diagnosed with Covid-19--basically advertising another story they did.  Facebook's algorithm likely selected the embedded vid* as the visual representation over the still photo and the person posting to Facebook didn't catch it.

*Don't know for sure but wouldn't be surprised if FB gave more weight to videos over still photos the way it gives more weight to both of those over plain text.

So I don't know if I'd call it a glitch rather than the way Facebook works.  And someone should have caught it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They posted the explanation on Facebook. 

Correction: Due to a technical error, the social image on this post mistakenly featured a photo of comedian Kevin Hart. In the content management system, a social image was not selected, and the system reverted to an image of Hart from an unrelated video. The display image has been corrected.

• Useful 2

6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Whomever said (& I’m pretty sure someone here did) the baby would probably be named for Katy’s new CD got it right! The baby’s name’s Daisy (Daisy Dove). Daisy may be a little weird of a name, but it’s not “Hollywood” weird. Dove, on the other hand...

Or take the name of former Glee star Lea Michele’s new son, with her husband Xandy (no kidding, that’s his name). The baby’s name is Ever Leo. Leo’s at least a “normal” name, if not a little “old” &/or stodgy for a child, in my opinion. But if I were the kid, when I hit legal age I’d be heading to the courthouse, or wherever, to get that first name changed, ASAP. The only way he’s not gonna get ragged on for being called “Ever” is if most of his classmates/friends have names as weird as, or weirder than, his.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Dove, on the other hand...

Teddi Mellencamp (John’s daughter and one of the stars of the RHOBH) named her child Dove back in February. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quof said:

Daisy Bloom may be among the dumbest celebrity baby names. At least this week.

The two elements by themselves are fine. Together, not that great.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Teddi Mellencamp (John’s daughter and one of the stars of the RHOBH) named her child Dove back in February. 

That’s right. And she’s been in the news fairly recently because she’s still a relatively young baby & had to have some kind of surgery (I think neurosurgery, but I’m not positive). I don’t know why I didn’t remember that when I saw Katy’s baby’s name (Daisy has Orlando’s last name, by the way).

Another weird celeb kid’s name—middle, in this case—is “Dessert” (at least that’s the way it was spelled where I read it). The Bella Twins (from E!, & I think the WWE) were pregnant at the same time this year & gave birth recently, within 24 hours of each other (1 twin’s first baby—she’s engaged to Artem Chigvintsev from Dancing with the Stars; the other twin’s second baby—she’s married). They both had boys. The engaged twin & the DWTS pro named their kid Matteo (which is kinda weird, a Latino name on a half-Russian kid) with a Russian middle name I don’t remember now (&, admittedly am too lazy right now to look up). The married twin named her son Buddy Dessert, according to the article I read. I’m giving her a pass on Buddy because of famous, now dearly departed, celebs like comedian Buddy Hackett & (singer?) Buddy Greco, & 2-time Oscar winner Jodie Foster’s brother, who was a child actor under the name Buddy Foster. But for the kid’s sake, if his middle name really is “Dessert”, I’m glad it’s his middle name & not his first. At least he might not get ragged on too badly with the first name of Buddy.

• Like 4

Maybe the real purpose behind these dumb names is to prevent them going into show business? Like try being a serious actress with the name "Apple"! Pretty sneaky.
Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

20 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:
Maybe the real purpose behind these dumb names is to prevent them going into show business? Like try being a serious actress with the name "Apple"! Pretty sneaky.

But what other profession are you going to be taken seriously at?  Waitress at Applebee's?  I think that would force them into show business.  Flea.  Madonna.  These are not names you name your child, but they're famous people.

Edited by Katy M
  • Laugh 8

Ironically, the names of Daisy and Dove each did a brief surge of popularity in the late 19th and early 20th century. The former being a flower name and the latter for its Biblical association (the bird that brought back the olive branch to show Noah that there was dry land to anchor the Ark). 

There have been performers named Daisy so I'm not sure if Mr. Bloom and Miss Perry are trying to prevent her from pursuing an entertainment career. In any case, if the girl grows up to be embarrassed by the name but wants to be an entertainer, she can always opt to create a  new name for that purpose as many entertainers have done (e.g. Diana Dors was originally Diana Fluck). 

Regardless, congrats to the new parents and let's hope they and their newborn have continued good health!

• Like 1

I don’t think Daisy is a weird name. Last name aside, there are many people named Daisy and it’s pretty normal. I also don’t have a problem with Daisy Bloom but she can also go by Daisy Perry if she wishes.

There seems to be a few celebrities who named their kid Ever. I’m not sure where that comes from. I first heard it when Mila Jovovich named her daughter Ever. I thought she made it up but I keep seeing it over the years.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But what other profession are you going to be taken seriously at? 

Hopefully if they are good at them whatever profession they choose. 

• Like 7

I think Dove is a lovely name for a girl.   It's a middle name so she can just not use it if she doesn't like it.    but Daisy Dove has a nice ring and if you use the whole thing it breaks up the Daisy Bloom which is ... not so great.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Whomever said (& I’m pretty sure someone here did) the baby would probably be named for Katy’s new CD got it right! The baby’s name’s Daisy (Daisy Dove).

Me!  🙋‍♀️🙂  But I cannot take credit for it; it was something that was already being mentioned on the interwebs and I just repeated it here.  Daisy Bloom is a very flowery name, that is for sure.  But hey, it's kinda cute.  Watch her grow up to be a complete tomboy though who hates all things flowery and girlsy because, irony.   

• Laugh 4

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Hopefully if they are good at them whatever profession they choose. 

I was just going off the original premise of the name making the person.  A more outlandish name would seem to me to have more of a home in Hollywood than Suburbia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was just going off the original premise of the name making the person.  A more outlandish name would seem to me to have more of a home in Hollywood than Suburbia.

I am aware of the concept but it’s a deeply problematic premise that needs to stop.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Another weird celeb kid’s name—middle, in this case—is “Dessert” (at least that’s the way it was spelled where I read it). The Bella Twins (from E!, & I think the WWE) were pregnant at the same time this year & gave birth recently, within 24 hours of each other (1 twin’s first baby—she’s engaged to Artem Chigvintsev from Dancing with the Stars; the other twin’s second baby—she’s married). They both had boys. The engaged twin & the DWTS pro named their kid Matteo (which is kinda weird, a Latino name on a half-Russian kid) with a Russian middle name I don’t remember now (&, admittedly am too lazy right now to look up). The married twin named her son Buddy Dessert, according to the article I read. I’m giving her a pass on Buddy because of famous, now dearly departed, celebs like comedian Buddy Hackett & (singer?) Buddy Greco, & 2-time Oscar winner Jodie Foster’s brother, who was a child actor under the name Buddy Foster. But for the kid’s sake, if his middle name really is “Dessert”, I’m glad it’s his middle name & not his first. At least he might not get ragged on too badly with the first name of Buddy.

I don't know any of these people, but Matteo is an Italian name and Bella sounds Italian as well, so that could be the reason for choosing it. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't know any of these people, but Matteo is an Italian name and Bella sounds Italian as well, so that could be the reason for choosing it. 

Bella is actually a stage name. However, the twins are half Mexican (father) and part Italian (mother’s side) and Matteo is the name of her trainer’s son and she liked it. they are going with the Italian pronunciation.

• Useful 4

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There seems to be a few celebrities who named their kid Ever. I’m not sure where that comes from. I first heard it when Mila Jovovich named her daughter Ever. I thought she made it up but I keep seeing it over the years.

When I hear the name Ever, I think of actor Ever Carradine (daughter of Robert, granddaughter of John), and she's 46 years old.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

When I hear the name Ever, I think of actor Ever Carradine (daughter of Robert, granddaughter of John), and she's 46 years old.

Same and then it makes me google to see if Once and Again is streaming for free anywhere (it’s not).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Mila Jovovich has said that Ever is a Scottish boys name. She picked it because he husband is part Scottish. 

13 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I think Dove is a lovely name for a girl.   It's a middle name so she can just not use it if she doesn't like it.    but Daisy Dove has a nice ring and if you use the whole thing it breaks up the Daisy Bloom which is ... not so great.

At first I thought Dove was odd. Then I remembered Dove Cameron and I’ve never thought her name was strange. 

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am aware of the concept but it’s a deeply problematic premise that needs to stop.

I think that it is rapidly changing. The kids in my family now don’t even blink when they hear an unique name. It’s all just normal to them now. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dani said:

Or she can be called DiDi and be done with it.  

Not to mention lots of people with names that sound “strange“ to white ears are discriminated against in the workplace for it.

That said: I’m probably giving you the side-eye if you name your poor child Car Battery or Stool Sample or something like that. But that’s not a case of names having sounds not familiar to white people, which we should really learn not to bat an eye at (way to go, young people in post ahead of me!). That is using very ordinary English terms in ways they were not meant to be used.

(I do think “Daisy Dove” sounds very pretty, I know lots of Madonnas and think it’s a lovely name, and if voided of of obvious connotations “Stool Sample” sounds like the male love interest in a romance novel.)

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

Or she can be called DiDi and be done with it.  

Ha - D.D. Bloom, like C.C. Bloom from Beaches.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.