Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I'll be interested to see what the investigation reveals about Ellen.  Just what I need for 2020....more bad news.  

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She is also a sadist on her "game" show.  Every game is designed to completely humiliate the contestants before awarding the last victim standing a small amount of money.  I dont know what is worse, her glee or how much the contestants are willing to debase themselves for a chance of being on an Ellen show.

I was never a regular viewer of her talk show. Having said that the reason I quit watching completely years ago was the glee and look in her eyes when people playing games were humiliated as you mentioned. I don't know how to describe the look in her eyes other than to say that it made me feel uncomfortable and like she was enjoying it too much just like she does with scaring all of her guests. The jump scare stuff was the other thing that turned me off. I saw that she issued some sort of "tearful apology" and my first thought was how easily she can tear up so they were more likely than not crocodile tears.

With all that Ellen went through after coming out, her sitcom getting cancelled and having trouble finding TV work it's a shame she's turned out to be such an awful person personally. An exec producer on her show that's still around is saying it's not going off the air which is a bit premature to claim at this point. Of course even after all the stuff came out about Steve Harvey's behavior the only show he lost was his talker. He still has his radio show and is still hosting multiple versions of Family Feud.

• Like 19
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll be interested to see what the investigation reveals about Ellen.  Just what I need for 2020....more bad news.  

True, but IMO somewhat of a First World Problem compared to most bad news out there in these times. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Blergh said:

True, but IMO somewhat of a First World Problem compared to most bad news out there in these times. 

Yeah, this is true. There are much worse issues.  It's just that I hate to think that a person that I admired, respected and who did SO MUCH for good causes is not a good person.  It just hurts my heart.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 13

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, this is true. There are much worse issues.  It's just that I'd like to think that a person that I admired, respected and who did SO MUCH for good causes is not a good person.  It just hurts my heart.  

I GET that entirely! Even though I never was convinced that Miss De Generes was every bit as nice as she wanted others to think (see my above post re the history of These Friends of Mine), I  know how it goes! I felt very much the same way in multiples  re Mr. Cosby who I had admired and been entertained by from early childhood onward but turned out to be not only 'not a good person' but also an evident lifelong criminal who used the on air persona to get folks' guard down! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'll say this,too, Oprah's also an egomaniac who insists on having her kudos endlessly chimed by all AND a bit pompous but I've never heard of her being a deliberately cruel person getting kicks seeing other folks scared/discomfitted.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Oprah by any means but I do get the impression she means well, she's just incredibly full of herself and has lost touch with what reality is for those of us who aren't millionaires.

I don't think Ellen means well. She just comes across like a bully, who will punch you when no one else is looking then, when people ask why you're crying she puts on her big smile and charms them into not believing you when you say she hit you. 

• Like 24

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Oprah by any means but I do get the impression she means well, she's just incredibly full of herself and has lost touch with what reality is for those of us who aren't millionaires.

I like Oprah in the way I like Gwyneth Paltrow and Martha Stewart. I'm aware that much of this is a sham and scripted or written by other people. I don't care. Wear your cashmere cardigans and tell me about how you love to grow produce (in your massive home gardens that have to tended to by other people because it's simply not feasible for one person to manage while doing other jobs). I like that their privilege is blatantly obvious while they still try to appear relatable. There's something that feels honest about it. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She is also a sadist on her "game" show.  Every game is designed to completely humiliate the contestants before awarding the last victim standing a small amount of money.

I remember calling this out when this show first began airing and being told by many that I was being dramatic.

• Like 4

I have never been a fan of Ellen or any of her shows.  I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to her "game" show.

• Like 8

Saw her standup in the early 80's. Not funny then, not funny now. 

• Like 4

I did like Ellen's sitcom, though I did  not watch it faithfully. And I honestly would never have guessed her current talk show was toxic until recent reports. I don't watch any non-newsy talk shows unless I really like the celebrity guests. But right away I thought her game show was meanspirited, even if people chose to participate. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She is also a sadist on her "game" show.  Every game is designed to completely humiliate the contestants before awarding the last victim standing a small amount of money.  I dont know what is worse, her glee or how much the contestants are willing to debase themselves for a chance of being on an Ellen show.

I've always thought that she enjoyed the terror and humiliation just a bit too much on that show.  

• Like 11

I don’t care for Ellen’s game show. I don’t like mean or cruel, but, I thought it was an act. I watched her sit com and talk show for years, though not lately. As well as her comedy films. One of my favorites was her version of Shoop! Hysterically, funny, imo.  I can’t post link now. If anyone can, please do.  This is such a shame. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

12 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think Ellen means well. She just comes across like a bully, who will punch you when no one else is looking then, when people ask why you're crying she puts on her big smile and charms them into not believing you when you say she hit you. 

I've always had that impression with Rosie O'Donnell and Kathy Griffin as well! 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

I don't really think that they try to act nice for the most part.  They always act like loud-mouth bullies.

• Like 8

I'm not a fan of Kathy Griffin, either.  She's just shrill and unfunny.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Blergh said:

I disagree on Rosie. I think she is authentic and no bully. She always engaged her guests on her talk show. 

Edited by rcc
  • Like 16

44 minutes ago, rcc said:

I disagree on Rosie. I think she is authentic and no bully. She always engaged her guests on her talk show. 

I liked Rosie's show.  The one with Barbra Streisand was moving and the one with Nicole Kidman and the one with Tom Cruise were quite funny.  The interview she did with Madonna after Evita came out had some good moments, too.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rcc said:

She needs to be nice to her guests, they are her bread and butter. She was a tyrant to her crew though. I knew people who worked with her and there was a celebration when she finally left. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She needs to be nice to her guests, they are her bread and butter. She was a tyrant to her crew though. I knew people who worked with her and there was a celebration when she finally left. 

Do you mean Rosie's talk show? When she quit they were out of work and they celebrated. Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Yes, I knew several people who worked on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show or for the production company at the time, and they all had negative impressions of her.  Yet I know several more who've met or even known her socially over the years, and all of them love her.

I've never seen Ellen DeGeneres's talk show (I take that back; because of the guests, I watched a couple of episodes with Gillian Anderson and Allison Janney) or game show, but, while I loved her stand-up back in the day (and really enjoyed her sitcom), I found her stand-up special from a couple of years ago noticeably different in tone, with a meanness to it.  That's when, with my limited "recent" exposure, I clued in on the source of the recurring criticism of her.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rcc said:

Do you mean Rosie's talk show? When she quit they were out of work and they celebrated. Doesn't make sense.

Not her own show, it was on The View.

Though I did go to a taping of her show once. She was delightful, until the cameras stopped and she turned her back to the audience and bossed around her hair and makeup folks until the cameras started again, then she was all flowers and rainbows. That was before the View, back when I was a fan because I only knew her from acting and stand up. I hadn't thought too much over it, figured she had to have her hair and makeup done and couldn't really talk to the audience like I'd seen others do during breaks, but then years later when I heard about her abusive behaviour on The View I realized she's just a phony. Though I'm sure she's great to her friends just like I think people in Ellen's social circle probably love her too.

It's more telling to me how they treat the people who work for them than how they treat their friends. 

• Like 17
  • Useful 4

19 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Not her own show, it was on The View.

Though I did go to a taping of her show once. She was delightful, until the cameras stopped and she turned her back to the audience and bossed around her hair and makeup folks until the cameras started again, then she was all flowers and rainbows. That was before the View, back when I was a fan because I only knew her from acting and stand up. I hadn't thought too much over it, figured she had to have her hair and makeup done and couldn't really talk to the audience like I'd seen others do during breaks, but then years later when I heard about her abusive behaviour on The View I realized she's just a phony. Though I'm sure she's great to her friends just like I think people in Ellen's social circle probably love her too.

It's more telling to me how they treat the people who work for them than how they treat their friends. 

I folllow Rosie on her blog and she has always been forthcoming there. But there is something to be said about how someone treats their staff.

• Like 6

Rosie is now very forthright about her challenges with mental illness. She describes years in which she was really suffering. She got treatment and says it’s made a huge difference in her life since. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 5

I remember SNL did a sketch with Horatio Sanz making fun of how Rosie O'Donnell was nice to some people and a total asshole to others, basically doing a Batman two face joke.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 4

On 8/3/2020 at 4:38 AM, NowVoyager said:

Britney Spears's father Jamie lashes out at the #FreeBritney campaign which has criticized his 12-year conservatorship - and says 'the world don't have a clue' about the singer's mental health

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583841/Britney-Spearss-father-Jamie-lashes-FreeBritney-campaign.html

31453794-8583841-image-a-50_1596311432775.jpg.3b0d7081e8452cfd74f45c4172494702.jpg

31453772-8583841-image-a-45_1596311240905.jpg.8cd26c4ccaaedd8c4b89ce428f71d223.jpg

31453766-8583841-image-a-47_1596311300032.jpg.85dbdc06ee3a92d00137b622818a995d.jpg

I'm far from a fan of Miss Spears but I totally agree with said movement! Yeah, why is this conservatorship STILL in place all these years after that breakdown with no end date despite her evidently long since having resumed being a  productive (and financially profiting) citizen? And why should Mr. Spears be the one holding the reins despite the fact that, by his OWN testimony, he has a 'strained relationship' with her? Oh, and I haven't forgotten that Mr. Spears was accused of physical assault against one of Miss Spears's minor sons around last year! And I also don't believe that her lifelong mental issues somehow happened in spite of having an idyllic childhood with perfect parents and that she ONLY became a performer as a minor because she herself loved performing and NOT because her parents had the intent of exploiting her or her sibs for their own monetary gain (and may very well have been abusive)! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Mental illness can cause a lot of issues that prevent a person from being able to manage their own affairs.  Managing the care for someone with a condition like that can be exhausting and very challenging.  If the courts have reviewed the facts and have valid cause, the conservatorship should be upheld.  I can't imagine what would happen if the safety nets are removed from a person who is not able to manage their own affairs.   When you are appointed by the courts for these things, you can't just use the money for your own benefit.  You hire professionals to ensure it's been done properly, taxes paid, insurance, investments, long term care, etc.  There are required accountings to the court where every dime must be accounted for.  Often outsiders do not have any idea what the Ward is living with.  Keeping them safe is often very difficult, because, they often resist care and don't think there's anything wrong:( 

• Like 23
  • Sad 1

SunnyBeBe,

Even if what you are claiming could be the case for Miss Spears is true, why on earth should Mr. Spears( who,  by his own testimony, has 'a strained relationship' with his daughter, was accused of physical assault against one of his daughter's minor sons AND almost certainly was a contributing factor to her mental issues due to having raised her if not exploited her from an early age) by the one to hold the reins? What evidence have you found that have   Mr. Spears has done all or any of what you believe should be done on her behalf? If Miss Spears MUST somehow still merit conservatorship all these years after the breakdown (in spite of having resumed becoming a productive citizen), then the court should appoint someone who does NOT have all these conflicts and vested interests! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Adele has become unrecognizable, and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I'm far from a fan of Miss Spears but I totally agree with said movement! Yeah, why is this conservatorship STILL in place all these years after that breakdown with no end date despite her evidently long since having resumed being a  productive (and financially profiting) citizen? And why should Mr. Spears be the one holding the reins despite the fact that, by his OWN testimony, he has a 'strained relationship' with her? Oh, and I haven't forgotten that Mr. Spears was accused of physical assault against one of Miss Spears's minor sons around last year! And I also don't believe that her lifelong mental issues somehow happened in spite of having an idyllic childhood with perfect parents and that she ONLY became a performer as a minor because she herself loved performing and NOT because her parents had the slightest intent of exploiting her or her sibs for their own monetary gain! 

Unlike the court officials involved in the case, we do not have all (or indeed, most) of the details regarding the issue of conservatorship.  Which is why I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on the matter.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 20

54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Adele has become unrecognizable, and not in a good way.

When I saw the photo of her with the image of Beyonce, I had no idea who she was. Even after I read that it was Adele, I assumed it was a mistake, because that person looks nothing like Adele.

Adele-and-beyonce.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Surprise 6

4 minutes ago, GaT said:

When I saw the photo of her with the image of Beyonce, I had no idea who she was. Even after I read that it was Adele, I assumed it was a mistake, because that person looks nothing like Adele.

Adele-and-beyonce.jpeg

I was confused too.  I'm not sure what to make of it.  I mean.....she does look healthy.  Is the curl permanent?  Has she had facial work done? At one point, her face looked gaunt.  Now, it's full, but, her body size is smaller.......it's a mystery to me.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has she had facial work done?

Yeah, it's her face that had me confused.  I know weight loss can affect your face too, but still, that's a lot different.

• Like 5

On 8/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, this is true. There are much worse issues.  It's just that I hate to think that a person that I admired, respected and who did SO MUCH for good causes is not a good person.  It just hurts my heart.

My solution is to just transfer all my gratitude and affection for the good done by her show to Laura Dern, who remains unreservedly awesome.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

38 minutes ago, GaT said:

Adele-and-beyonce.jpeg

I don't know if people can't believe it is Adele because they think she looks bad or just different. I think she looks fine and thought she had a cute face when she was heavier and now. The difference now is that there is so much less makeup. I prefer the less makeup.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

She looks great, but she's about as recognizable as her former self as Renée Zellweger was right after her plastic surgery. It's like being in a Twilight Zone episode and wondering why all the people around you are referring to some stranger as your spouse.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 10

17 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My solution is to just transfer all my gratitude and affection for the good done by her show to Laura Dern, who remains unreservedly awesome.

That's pretty incredible.  lol  I do love Laura. She's a pleasure to watch on Little Big Lies...entire cast is awesome! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

She looks great, but she's about as recognizable as her former self as Renée Zellweger was right after her plastic surgery. It's like being in a Twilight Zone episode and wondering why all the people around you are referring to some stranger as your spouse.

I hear ya, but I think it is more of the makeup switchup than the weight loss as to why people thinks she looks so different. I mean if you cake that stuff back on, you will begin to see the old Adele.

• Like 8

Personally, I can still see her face. It's the hair and the eyebrows that change her face more than the weight loss. She has tried different styles but she generally has medium-thickness groomed brows with a curve towards the end. These thinner (maybe it's just the photo) straight brows would look a little odd on anyone. Also, obviously there's the hair that looks like it was transplanted from a completely different person's head.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Sean Penn married a woman half his age. Hooray for Hollywood. I can't wait to hear him gushing in a year or two about being a brand new dad in his 60's because that always seems to happen when the older man marries a woman still firmly within her reproductive years.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I don't know if people can't believe it is Adele because they think she looks bad or just different. I think she looks fine and thought she had a cute face when she was heavier and now. The difference now is that there is so much less makeup. I prefer the less makeup.

She looks fine she just looks like a totally different person. She does look like a celeb, I just can't put my finger on who it is. Maybe a different picture she looks more like I remember. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She looks fine she just looks like a totally different person. She does look like a celeb, I just can't put my finger on who it is. Maybe a different picture she looks more like I remember. 

She looks a bit like Kate Winslet to me.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She looks fine she just looks like a totally different person. She does look like a celeb, I just can't put my finger on who it is.

She looks a lot like Sarah Paulson now.  This side by side was all over the internets when that photo of Adele on the right came out. 

indexadele.jpg.bb91b7c44f5878aff4fe807df60d1131.jpg

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It's the hair and the eyebrows that change her face more than the weight loss. She has tried different styles but she generally has medium-thickness groomed brows with a curve towards the end. These thinner (maybe it's just the photo) straight brows would look a little odd on anyone.

I agree!  For me, it's 100% about her brows.  She has changed them so drastically and not for the better.  Her eyebrows used to be so done so beautifully, as was all her makeup, quite frankly.  She had a very vintage glam look with beautifully arched brows.  These brows?  eek. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Like 10

24 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

She looks a bit like Kate Winslet to me.

That's who I was thinking of! Thank you. Young Kate Winslet, back around Heavenly Creatures era. 

I do see a lot of Sarah Paulson in some of the other pictures I looked up. 

• Like 2

Giant Misfit

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.