Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I just got a notification on my iPhone saying that the Summer Olympics from Tokyo, Japan will now begin on July 23, 2021 (next year).

• Like 4

Very good to hear that about Prine. Hope his recovery continues to go well.

But damn, the news about Schlesinger :(. Here's hoping he'll pull through, too. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I just got a notification on my iPhone saying that the Summer Olympics from Tokyo, Japan will now begin on July 23, 2021 (next year).

This sucks, although having a 3-year gap instead of a 4-year gap between Japan and Paris could be fortuitous for anyone that comes in just off the podium in 2021.

Weird to think Michael Phelps won't be there, at least not as a competitor.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

This sucks, although having a 3-year gap instead of a 4-year gap between Japan and Paris could be fortuitous for anyone that comes in just off the podium in 2021.

Weird to think Michael Phelps won't be there, at least not as a competitor.

Time will tell if they decide to stagger the Olympics so there's only a three-year gap between the next two Summer Olympics OR whether they maintain the four-year-gap so this means that all future Olympics will be in odd years from now on. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Fuck! Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne is in a medical induced coma due to COVID-19.

on a happier note John Prine’s wife has said he is now in stable condition.

This has been updated to say that he is not in coma, as originally reported. He’s on my dream list of people to invite to a dinner party, so hoping he makes a full recovery.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Time will tell if they decide to stagger the Olympics so there's only a three-year gap between the next two Summer Olympics OR whether they maintain the four-year-gap so this means that all future Olympics will be in odd years from now on. 

I don't think they will. Historical precedent says they're willing to have an odd gap. When they decided to move the winter Olympics to a different year from the summer ones, they just had 1992, 1994, and then jumped back to four years with Nagano in 1998. The 1994 Olympics were seen as a second shot for a lot of the 1992 Olympic athletes that didn't make podium, including Tonya Harding. I think they're just going to go with the odd 3 year gap and then go right back to schedule.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

I got a notification on my iPhone in the last few minutes saying the Wimbledon tennis championships are now canceled for this year, thanks to the virus. This is the first time since WW II the tournament has been canceled.

Somehow I missed this before but, this year’s French Open tennis tournament, which is traditionally played prior to Wimbledon each year has chosen NOT to cancel this year, but rather to postpone this year’s tournament from May until September. This will now put it after this year’s US Open tennis championships, the tournament which is traditionally the 4th of the major “Grand Slam” tennis tournaments contested each year (the traditional order is The Australian Open—January; The French Open—May/June; Wimbledon—June/July; The US Open—August/September).

But on a perhaps more fun note...

From Variety‘The Nanny’ Original Cast to Reunite for Virtual Table Read

It’s a table read of the Pilot. It will be posted to the Sony Pictures YouTube page the morning of Monday, April 6th. The only original cast member not participating is James Marsden (I don’t even remember what character he played).

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add comments.
  • Useful 4

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

James Marsden (I don’t even remember what character he played).

I *think* he played Fran's fiance in the pilot -- the one who dumped her.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

I *think* he played Fran's fiance in the pilot -- the one who dumped her.

Marsden isn’t THAT old. I think he played the older daughter's date. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

11 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Marsden isn’t THAT old. I think he played the older daughter's date. 

Oh, you're right! Eddie. The guy who gave Maggie her first kiss.

28 minutes ago, Dejana said:

To any other celebrity tempted to announce a false coronavirus diagnosis as an April Fools Day joke, don't!

We need a rage emoji because that is just forking rage inducing. Who the fork thinks that is funny? 

Won't lie, there was a tiny little part of me hoping I'd wake up to news that Covid-19 itself was just one huge April Fools prank and everyone could go back to work, but I didn't really expect it, it was just a tiny little dream. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

We need a rage emoji because that is just forking rage inducing. Who the fork thinks that is funny? 

Won't lie, there was a tiny little part of me hoping I'd wake up to news that Covid-19 itself was just one huge April Fools prank and everyone could go back to work, but I didn't really expect it, it was just a tiny little dream. 

It was to raise awareness, apparently. Perhaps the explanation came off better in Korean, but this sounds like the international language of publicist spin:

"Bad judgment. I knew that’s what this was,” Jaejoong admitted before saying that he was trying to bring more awareness to the crisis.

"I wanted to convey that message because I hoped that people would be more aware and therefore we could minimize the number of people who suffer because of COVID-19,” he wrote. “It’s so scary to think that things like people spending time outside in the warm weather as spring arrives, or coming in contact with others in an enclosed space while making use of leisurely time as the start of the semester is postponed, could cause a secondary or tertiary resurgence in COVID-19 cases.”

“In many different kinds of media and on the internet, there are both big and small requests for people to take caution, but there are people who do not listen to that, and I wanted to convey the dangerousness of the current situation to them one way or another. ‘Please, listen. Please. Don’t get sick,'” he shared.

Right, because the best way to get people to take a deadly pandemic seriously is to joke about it! Understandably, some fans were not impressed with his apology:

“I thought he had it and forgot it’s April fool’s but I have family members who have died from the COVID 19 and in no way is that something to joke about. I was a jaejoong fan but I’m highly disappointed in him,” one person wrote on Twitter. “Jaejoong corny as hell for his ‘joke,'” another added. “JAEJOONG LIED ABOUT HAVING THE CORONAVIRUS TO ‘RAISE AWARENESS???’ WHO IS THIS BITCH? JUSSIE SMOLLETT?,” one wrote.

Edited by Dejana
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Dejana said:

“JAEJOONG LIED ABOUT HAVING THE CORONAVIRUS TO ‘RAISE AWARENESS???’ WHO IS THIS BITCH? JUSSIE SMOLLETT?,” one wrote.

That about sums it up for me.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Right, because the best way to get people to take a deadly pandemic seriously is to joke about it!

Yeah. If anything he did more damage than good. There are plenty of "celebs" out there who do have the virus and are speaking out about it. I don't think the world needed someone lying about it, no matter what the reason. It was just a really, really bad decision. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cynicat said:

Looks like Samuel L. Jackson has a nice story for bedtime:

I need the uncensored version. 

• Like 7
  • Laugh 11

14 hours ago, Dejana said:

And now that he's cried wolf over this very serious condition, if he actually DOES come down with it or any other serious condition or problem, no one will take him at his word! 

He reminds me of those obnoxious vloggers who set up elaborate pranks then get  upset when something bad actually happens in their lives yet gets upset when  no one is willing to take them seriously or help them. Sorry but you can't have it both ways!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, cynicat said:

This was posted on another thread, and it bears repeating:

I motherfucking love Samuel-L-Motherfucking-Jackson!

• Like 19

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/siegfried-roys-animal-handler-breaks-silence-tiger-mauling-alleges-cover-up-1197216

This was posted when the article was first published in March 2019 but there were two huge stories at the time (College Admissions Scandal/Jussie Smollett) so no one commented. In hindsight, with those two things in the news I can see why it didn't get more traction. Still, with humans' obsession with bonding with wild animals, you'd think it would get brought up more often. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, cynicat said:

I need to be able to like and laugh at this multiple times!  

"Trenton Quarantino"  LOL!!!!

• Like 5
  • Laugh 4

11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Actress Ali Wentworth, who is also the wife of ABC analyst George Stephanopolous, has announced she has the virus.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ali-wentworth-coronavirus_n_5e853f63c5b6f55ebf47a83b?

George isn’t just an “ABC analyst”—& I don’t think he’s even that now. He’s a Co-Anchor of Good Morning America (GMA); the Anchor of This Week with George Stephanopolous; Lead Anchor for ABC’s Political Convention & Primary/General Election coverage, & the Lead Anchor for ABC’s Breaking News coverage, possibly among other duties I can’t remember now.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a comment.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, cynicat said:

Corona, 

Stay the fuck away from this man. He is a national treasure.

Thank you.

• Like 21

Maybe they own the gym. Who knows. 

I attend(ed) an anytime gym and I was usually the only person there. I miss it. I miss it so so much.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, rcc said:

With all their money they don't have a home gym? Or maybe they want to show off their bodies!

It says the sign said the gym was closed. So, IDK.  Even so, I don't think I'd want to touch all the equipment....you don't know who else has touched it. The virus has been known to live on surfaces for over 17 days. Plus, you have to expose your driver/security person to you and boyfriend. And, by doing that, you are exposing yourself to everyone the driver/security person has been exposed to.  Seem odd, to me, especially, when it's likely they have a home gym.  Their property is likely large enough that they could run around outside too.  I guess, I'm all for eliminating as many risks as possible. 

• Like 9

Gyms are suppose to be closed in most states.

The big issue is having to breath other people's exhaled breaths containing water droplets which could be bearing the virus.

• Like 10

This interview actually made me cry. It's heart breaking, but, has humor too.  It's Chris Cuomo describing his covid-19 experience so far. Says, he's chipped some teeth from shivering.  I can't believe he looks as well as he does. It's a split screen with he and his brother NY Governor Cuomo.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/04/02/chris-cuomo-stops-by-gov-andrew-cuomo-press-briefing-vpx.cnn

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 12
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This interview actually made me cry. It's heart breaking, but, has humor too.  It's Chris Cuomo describing his covid-19 experience so far. Says, he's chipped some teeth from shivering.  I can't believe he looks as well as he does. It's a split screen with he and his brother NY Governor Cuomo.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/04/02/chris-cuomo-stops-by-gov-andrew-cuomo-press-briefing-vpx.cnn

I’ve found some other clips on YouTube with Chris Cuomo talking about his COVID-19 experience so far and while I find it valuable to listen to him describe it and illustrate why you don’t want to get this virus but I wish he’d take some time off to focus on recovering!

• Like 14

17 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I have no sympathy for them. They are both in their 40s and failed to realize they would pass it on to anybody(family, friends, or security). Just because you are healthy doesn't mean the virus would not go after unhealthy people. It goes after everyone. That's just reckless behavior.

I think Jennifer’s actually either 50 or elsewhere in her early 50’s. Not sure about A-Rod.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

she may be the biggest enemy of illiteracy currently alive.

That is an awesome descriptor.   And a proud title for Ms. Parton.   

• Like 18

19 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I have no sympathy for them. They are both in their 40s and failed to realize they would pass it on to anybody(family, friends, or security). Just because you are healthy doesn't mean the virus would not go after unhealthy people. It goes after everyone. That's just reckless behavior.

Exactly - no sympathy from me either.  They have to have gyms in their mansions.  A-Rod is a retired elite baseball player, you can't tell me he doesn't have a state of the line gym in his place.

I would love to be sheltering in place in either of their residences. 

• Like 18

Giant Misfit

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.