Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

On 3/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, merylinkid said:

the celebrities are going absolutely nuts with all the restrictions.   They can't go out and about and see and be seen.    Celebrities to a certain extent need attention.   They aren't getting it right now.   You can tell the ones who really really really need attention for self-validation vs the ones who don't.   With the new "shelter in place" for all of California, this could get really interesting over the next two weeks.

I think it veers into too much generalization to attribute those qualities to ALL celebrities.  A crap ton of of them, sure. Just like I'm willing to generalize that most politicians have proved the past 3 years that they are slimy unethical bastards... but not ALL... I'd say the same is true with show biz people and the generalization that they are needy, materialistic, and narcissistic.  It would be foolish to act like many, maybe even most, aren't.  Because they are.  But there are major exceptions.  

I think we're in a time (not just this COVID period but the entire past 3-4 years) when both the worst AND best in people is being exhibited.  We just see it sooner with celebs.  I've been really pleased with at least a few of them, and majorly disappointed in so many others. I guess it's made me now take the approach to expect very little from any of them (and make that double for politicians), but to allow myself to be pleasantly surprised as a result when one of them does something smart, wonderful or uplifting.  In a previous thread on something else, for example, I wrote about how unexpectedly pleased I've been by Jimmy Kimmel in recent years.  Someone who from his early career I always expected to be a total meathead.  But in the past few years in times of crisis (like after several of the mass shootings) he's been a source of unexpected wisdom, comfort and clarity with his words in those cases.  And I've thanked the higher powers too for people like John Oliver and Seth Meyers, also comedians, who have eked out major parts of their efforts towards being informational and not just ha-ha funny.  But yeah, at the same time, stupid reality show people continue to exist and degrade our society and discourse, and Youtube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are also giving actors who should NEVER talk when not accompanied by a studio handler, voice to say stupid crap.  But those same mediums  (especially Facebook Live and YouTube) are being wonderful tools right now where some of the more admirable celebs (especially musicians) are pumping out at home content and doing stuff like free concerts that and at least helping people a little, even if we shouldn't overestimate the effects from that either).  

• Like 19

Saw Neil's twitter yesterday.   It was hilarious and just what we need.   

The Arts are what we need right now.   Bravo to all the symphonies, ballets, operas, broadway shows putting their performances online so we can relax and enjoy them while isolating.

• Like 20

9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think this is cute...

From BillboardNeil Diamond Puts a Coronavirus Spin on ‘Sweet Caroline’: Watch (Scroll down to the embedded Twitter post from Neil’s account to see the video).

I saw that on the news. It was so good and so hilarious. I love the mentioning of washing hands and of course don't touch me, I won't touch you. Thanks for that Neil.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 10

On 3/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, BW Manilowe said:

That's good news. I'll miss seeing them this year. But it was the right decision. Coronavirus is still reeking havoc and will be for while and we still don't know yet whether it'll come back in the fall or not. That Dr. Anthony doesn't seem to think and hopefully he's right but we'll have to wait and see. Plus none of the athletes are even able to train.

• Like 12

16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's good news. I'll miss seeing them this year. But it was the right decision. Coronavirus is still reeking havoc and will be for while and we still don't know yet whether it'll come back in the fall or not. That Dr. Anthony doesn't seem to think and hopefully he's right but we'll have to wait and see. Plus none of the athletes are even able to train.

As long as they stayed healthy and trained solo, I don't see why those in track and field,weight lifting or swimming can't keep training (and wind up in better shape with that extra year of training)! They can even have coaches Skype their instructions.

• Like 2

Prince Charles has the Coronavirus.  The Duchess of Cornwall is negative, and the PoW hasn’t been near the Queen or Prince Phillip since early March.

• Surprise 3
  • Sad 8

18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's good news. I'll miss seeing them this year. But it was the right decision.

I feel bad for the athletes who have to sacrifice so much to get to the Olympics, and now the finish line has been moved forward. Age plays a big part in the performance, and some sports age the body more than others. Additionally, what happens then to the athletes that made the team? Will there be another set of tryouts for the 2021 Olympics where younger athletes that did not make the age cut can now try out and make the team? I completely understand why this happened, but it's much more than just moving it to the next year. Some athletes set to go to the 2020 Olympics may not go to the new 2021 Olympics, and that is what makes this so sad. 

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Prince Charles has the Coronavirus.

Horrible to say, but it may answer the question, who will be the next Monarch in succession. Isn't Prince Charles like 70-years-old? The longest a person has been a Prince to never be King?

14 minutes ago, free2think said:

Horrible to say, but it may answer the question, who will be the next Monarch in succession. Isn't Prince Charles like 70-years-old? The longest a person has been a Prince to never be King?

William is next in line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, free2think said:

He’s 71, and yes he’s the longest reigning PoW.  But who’s next in line was never in question.  It will be King George VII (as is rumored for his regnal name), or King William V.

Apparently, he has minor symptoms, and is not seriously ill.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:31 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

I am a bit pissed off because not only was someone I work for exposed to the Coronavirus, which is forcing both of us to stay in quarantine for the next two weeks (so no grocery shopping for me and I live alone so I am in almost complete isolation) my boss also cut my hours to my already lowing paying job and I don't know how I will make up the money. So excuse me if I am not cheering them both on about them staying in quarantine and encouraging others to do it. It is nice when the celebs are trying to cheer up people and entertain them and donate money for some relief, it angers my blood when well off celebs tell me to self isolate.

I'm very sorry for the situation in which you find yourself.  It's really rough, and I hope it improves as soon as possible.

If news about celebrities doing things like advising other people to self-isolate or posting videos to try to cheer people up is making you angry, I guess just do your best to avoid it if you can.  But I do think what those people are doing might help others, especially if they convince younger fans to self-isolate whenever possible to help slow the spread of this virus.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

As long as they stayed healthy and trained solo, I don't see why those in track and field,weight lifting or swimming can't keep training (and wind up in better shape with that extra year of training)! They can even have coaches Skype their instructions.

For some athletes, training is a major financial burden.  But from the various responses I've seen, they pretty much agree that, however difficult it might make their quest for the Olympics, postponing was the correct thing to do for everyone.

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

William is next in line.

After Charles, who may end up being just fine.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

After Charles, who may end up being just fine.

Yes, he probably will be, but I was answering a specific question about who is next in line after Charles. Which is William, as I said.

• Like 5

I thought the question wasn't what the order of succession is, but who will be the next monarch?  As in, will it go Elizabeth --> Charles, or Elizabeth --> William.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I thought the question wasn't what the order of succession is, but who will be the next monarch?  As in, will it go Elizabeth --> Charles, or Elizabeth --> William.

Unless the Commonwealth nations vote otherwise, there is no question that the next monarch will be Charles.

• Like 4

From CNN: Bindi Sue Irwin, Daughter of the Late ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin, Marries Longtime Partner Chandler Powell in Australia

The couple of 6 years was originally slated to marry (in a bigger wedding) in 2021, after having gotten engaged on her 21st birthday last July. However, Australia was about to enact new rules at Midnight (local time) regarding the number of guests allowed at weddings (5) & funerals (10) in an effort to help curtail the spread of the Coronavirus, & because of the uncertainty of how long those rules would be in place, the couple was wed yesterday before her family, at their Australia Zoo which is located on the island continent’s Sunshine Coast.

Bindi’s younger brother & fellow conservationist, Robert, walked her down the aisle; the couple lit a Memory Candle in honor of Bindi’s late father, The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin who was killed by a stingray barb through the chest during a documentary filming in 2006.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add comments and remove an unnecessary capital letter for clarity
  • Like 15

Jackson Brown, age 71, one of my all time favorite artists, is diagnosed with Covid-19.  He's 10 days in and feeling okay as he isolates at home.  I'm relieved that he's okay, so far.  He says he likely got it at a recent trip to NY for a bash with some other well known singers, like Cyndi Lauper, Dave Matthews, Warren Hayes, etc. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/jackson-browne-rock-and-roll-hall-of-famer-has-coronavirus-at-71/?_ga=2.6640562.1494333726.1585168679-2077748251.1552423101

One of my favorites:

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

@Silver Raven Not if he dies of COVID-19 before Elizabeth dies, which I think is at the heart of what was being asked.

If Charles dies before Elizabeth, William is next in line (Followed by George, then Charlotte, then Louis...then there might be a question).

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

If Charles dies before Elizabeth, William is next in line (Followed by George, then Charlotte, then Louis...then there might be a question).

Yeah, then it will be really messed up.  will Harry get back in?  Will they take Archie without Harry?  I assume Andrew's out.  But what about his daughters?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, then it will be really messed up.  will Harry get back in?  Will they take Archie without Harry?  I assume Andrew's out.  But what about his daughters?  

Moving this to the royals thread.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Harry’s recent decision had no impact on the line of succession.  It’s based completely on law and birth order than than whether or not someone is a working royal. After Louis it’s Harry, Archie, then Andrew and his daughters. 

• Like 6

Hmmm...wasn't there a change in the rule about the male line? Would that put Anne above Andrew? Or am I wishful thinking? Because fuck that guy.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackberryJam said:

Hmmm...wasn't there a change in the rule about the male line? Would that put Anne above Andrew? Or am I wishful thinking? Because fuck that guy.

There was a change but it affects only from Prince George onward.  Princess Charlotte wasn’t bumped down when her brother Louis was born.  Before them the order did not change.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

There was a change but it affects only from Prince George onward.  Princess Charlotte wasn’t bumped down when her brother Louis was born.  Before them the order did not change.  

Oh fuck. Why couldn't it be Andrew getting the shaft? *shakes fist*

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh fuck. Why couldn't it be Andrew getting the shaft? *shakes fist*

Well at least there’s a chance Harry and Megan could have another child ... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Well at least there’s a chance Harry and Megan could have another child ... 

Oh well...Harry is well above PedoAndrew, but he's still a fucking dick. I'd be happy for him to be skipped over as well.

• Like 5

Apropos of nothing, really, I saw my first Colonial Penn Life Insurance commercial completely without Alex Trebek (he’s done some with Colonial Penn sales people-types &, of course, customers) in a long time Tuesday night into Wednesday morning on ABC World News Now. I guess his Pancreatic Cancer has already messed with him so much he can’t do the ads anymore. But I think those were just a side gig for him anyway.

• Sad 3

Did you see that bizarre tweet from Kirstie Alley? I guess those Jenny Craig programs have no effect. I thought Scientology was bad, but she lives in another world. 🙈Unfortunately, these are the types of celebs that live in their own universe and want attention in the worse way. I admit, this makes it all the more entertaining in a SNL way. 

While not all celebrities are like that, there is a couple of them who think living in glass houses can never hurt them. And during the outbreak, we are definitely seeing their true colors.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 8

I will say one celeb that I have been enjoying is Bill Engvall. In the past week, he's given these long talks..chats with fans on Facebook..all while working out on his treadmill..First one was just a way to kill time on the treadmill..about 20 minutes...the next one was about 30..and last night's was about 45 minutes long. He answers fan questions..talks about his family..no set stand up..just random thoughts...If you are on FB, look him up...I've been entertained anyway...

• Like 2
  • Useful 8

58 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Entertainment Weekly‘The Voice’ Host Carson Daly & Wife, Siri, Welcome Their Fourth Child, Daughter Goldie Patricia

She’s the couple’s third daughter, joining big brother Jackson James, 11; & big sisters Etta Jones, 7 1/2 & London Rose, 5 1/2, in the family. Carson Daly also Co-Hosts NBC’s Today.

Mr. and Mrs. Daly may want to ask Michael J. Fox and his wife Tracy Pollan how they've dealt with that dynamic down the years. If nothing else, I think the Foxes would be humorously sympathetic and they seem like folks  who would be fun to converse with- if one had reason to know them. 

Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Daly and let's hope you and your family stay healthy especially in the near future! 

• Like 4

Evangeline Lilly apologizes for 'dismissive, arrogant and cryptic message' about coronavirus following backlash

*Put in spoiler for length.

“I am writing you from my home where I have been social distancing since March 18 — when social distancing was instituted in the small community where I am currently living,” the mom of two shared. “At the time of my March 16 post, the directives from the authorities here were that we not congregate in groups of more than 250 [people] and that we wash our hands regularly, which we were doing.

“Two days later, those directives changed and, despite my intense trepidation over the socioeconomic and political repercussions of this course of action, PLEASE KNOW I AM DOING MY PART TO FLATTEN THE CURVE, PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING AND STAYING HOME WITH MY FAMILY.

Spoiler

”I want to offer my sincere and heartfelt apology for the insensitivity I showed in my previous post to the very real suffering and fear that has gripped the world through COVID-19. Grandparents, parents, children, sisters and brothers are dying, the world is rallying to find a way to stop this very real threat, and my ensuing silence has sent a dismissive, arrogant and cryptic message.

“My direct and special apologies to those most affected by this pandemic. I never meant to hurt you. When I wrote that post 10 days ago, I thought I was infusing calm into the hysteria. I can see now that I was projecting my own fears into an already fearful and traumatic situation.

“I am grieved by the ongoing loss of life, and the impossible decisions medical workers around the world must make as they treat those affected. I am concerned for our communities — small businesses and families living paycheck-to-paycheck — and I am trying to follow responsible recommendations for how to help. Like many of you, I fear for the political aftermath of this pandemic, and I am praying for us all.

“At the same time, I am heartened by the beauty and humanity I see so many people demonstrating toward one another in this vulnerable time. When I was grappling with my own fears over social distancing, one kind, wise and gracious person said to me, ‘do it out of love, not fear’ and it helped me to realize my place in all of this.”

Edited by crimsongrl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, crimsongrl said:

Evangeline Lilly apologizes for 'dismissive, arrogant and cryptic message' about coronavirus following backlash

Translation: Please don't kick me out of the MCU.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 16

No way is anyone letting her get within spitting distance of Michael Douglas or Paul Rudd until they have a vaccine for this thing!

• Laugh 9

They won't kick her out of the MCU. They haven't kicked out that ass clown Jeremy Renner yet so she'll be fine.

• Like 5

Musician John Prine is in critical condition with COVID-19.

• Sad 15

Oh, no!  I love John Prine's music -- I saw him in concert last year, and he was still in fine voice.  

• Like 2

This is heartbreaking.  I hope he pulls through, and not just because we have tickets to him and Emmylou in June 

• Sad 5

Someone needs to make a movie, or better yet, a miniseries about these two amazing women. Eva Kollisch, 95, and her wife Naomi Replansky, 101. They've lived though so much upheaval, survived -- and thrived -- against the odds. I hope that they survive this pandemic as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/nyregion/naomi-replansky-eva-kollisch-coronavirus.html?algo=als2_desk_filter&fellback=false&imp_id=169831844&imp_id=379930642&action=click&module=editorsPicks&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

(and yes, I am aware that they are not, technically, celebrities outside of certain circles, but they really should be!)

• Like 9
  • Useful 2

I just saw that John Prine is critically ill with coronavirus also, I hope he will be able to recover.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 1

Giant Misfit

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.