Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

6 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know what's really easy? Not saying anything. One of the best lines ever uttered on TV was by Bebe Neuwirth's Lilith on Wings: "You know, it is permissible to have an unexpressed thought."

Evangeline Lilly has some thoughts.

From the article:

“I am also immune compromised at the moment,” Lilly wrote. “I have two young kids. Some people value their lives over freedom, some people value freedom over their lives. We all make our choices.”

Uh... that word, I do not think it means what you think it means... Lady, unless you have a medical condition you have not mentioned (& no, having a couple of kids is not a medical condition), it's your father who has cancer and is immunocompromised, not you!

Sigh. The stupidity and selfishness, they burn.

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Maybe her former costar Daniel Dae Kim who has tested positive can convince her to stay home!

Cute, talented, smart, and seems to be a decent human being.

<Swoon>

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Even more so because her father who has stage 4 leukemia lives with her:

Lilly also revealed that she’s living with her father, who has stage 4 leukemia. Cancer patients are among the most vulnerable to COVID-19, due to their weakened immune systems.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know what's really easy? Not saying anything. One of the best lines ever uttered on TV was by Bebe Neuwirth's Lilith on Wings: "You know, it is permissible to have an unexpressed thought."

(Lilith was on Wings??)

11 minutes ago, Trini said:

(Lilith was on Wings??)

Frasier and Lilith guested on Wings at least once that I recall when doing a Cheers crossover.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

41 minutes ago, Trini said:

(Lilith was on Wings??)

30 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Frasier and Lilith guested on Wings at least once that I recall when doing a Cheers crossover.

Yeah she said it to Helen after Helen started babbling.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

That saying comes from Lilith????  I had no idea even though I loved Lilith on Cheers and have been known to use that line a few times myself.  Now I need to go see if I can find a clip of that scene...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Cute, talented, smart, and seems to be a decent human being.

<Swoon>

Man, what a class act. So thoughtful and open. I appreciated his shout-out to those working in essential industries (healthcare, grocery stores, etc.,) and calling out all the racist BS going on was spot-on. I also smiled when he apologized for his "quarantine chic" appearance, which was of course lovely.

Here's the video he posted on Instagram if anyone wants a direct link.

• Like 23

Glad to hear him say it seems like he'll be okay. Wishing him a speedy recovery. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

I have not yet listened to any of musical posts mentioned in the article, but it's rather sweet that Gal Gadot and others are trying to help keep everyone's spirits up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51959070

Just watched it. Some pretty good singing from some of them. Now if only I could identity all of them... Yeah, I'm not very good at recognizing celebrities (an odd confession, considering where I hang out online...)

I thought it was cute too, and its sad how people on social media are just ripping it as "rich people singing to poor people". Really nice to know that this mess hasn't affected our ability to trash anyone on social media.

I mean yeah it doesn't really do anything charity wise but she was genuinely trying to help. And compared to saying stupid ignorant shit like Evangeline Lily or Vanessa Hudgens or certain people selling out their stocks because they had inside knowledge about what was going to happen, this is harmless. Geez.

• Like 17

the celebrities are going absolutely nuts with all the restrictions.   They can't go out and about and see and be seen.    Celebrities to a certain extent need attention.   They aren't getting it right now.   You can tell the ones who really really really need attention for self-validation vs the ones who don't.   With the new "shelter in place" for all of California, this could get really interesting over the next two weeks.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 1

33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I mean yeah it doesn't really do anything charity wise but she was genuinely trying to help.

There are a lot of people who live alone and can't go out.  So, anything anybody can do to lift their spirits is charitable, IMO.

• Like 21

While the larger arts organizations like Cirque du Soleil and the Met will (I hope!) survive, it's beginning to feel as though we will be posting about many of the smaller ones in the In Memoriam thread. 😢

The Metropolitan Opera has told its union employees that they will not be paid after 3/31:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/19/818378901/the-metropolitan-opera-tells-its-union-employees-they-will-not-be-paid-after-mar

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Sad 11

14 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

That saying comes from Lilith????  I had no idea even though I loved Lilith on Cheers and have been known to use that line a few times myself.  Now I need to go see if I can find a clip of that scene...

I don't know if it originates with Lilith, as I remember Fraiser saying it at least once as well, but the episode in question is Planes, Trains, and Visiting Cranes from...I think season 4 of Wings.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

From the article:

“I am also immune compromised at the moment,” Lilly wrote. “I have two young kids. Some people value their lives over freedom, some people value freedom over their lives. We all make our choices.”

Uh... that word, I do not think it means what you think it means... Lady, unless you have a medical condition you have not mentioned (& no, having a couple of kids is not a medical condition), it's your father who has cancer and is immunocompromised, not you!

What a stupid, selfish person.  It's one thing to put your own life possibly at risk, but to take the chance of brining the coronavirus home to your immunocompromised father is the most asinine thing.  Never mind all the other people she could be spreading it to if she gets it.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I thought it was cute too, and its sad how people on social media are just ripping it as "rich people singing to poor people". Really nice to know that this mess hasn't affected our ability to trash anyone on social media.

Right?  I saw the reactions before I saw the video and the way people were going on you'd think they were out licking folks or some such. 

It was fine, if a little cringey in places.

James  Marsden has a surprisingly nice voice, tho!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I thought it was cute too, and its sad how people on social media are just ripping it as "rich people singing to poor people".

I think the negative comments are less about the sentiment behind the idea, and more about it being a bad choice of song.  It's kinda bad optics for a bunch of celebrities in their multi-million dollar homes to be singing a song featuring the line "Imagine no possessions."

• Like 17

40 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

I think the negative comments are less about the sentiment behind the idea, and more about it being a bad choice of song.  It's kinda bad optics for a bunch of celebrities in their multi-million dollar homes to be singing a song featuring the line "Imagine no possessions."

Exactly.  We have thousands of people in this country who don't know how they are going to pay April's rent since they are out of work.  I get the sentiment of wanting to uplift people in a grim time, but it is really tone deaf.  I would rather these celebrities find ways to give some of their millions to help out.  

• Like 19

Those two celebrities you mentioned are not the only ones. Just recently, Scott Baio seems to be trying to get attention in ways that make me scratch my head. These are the type of people who should not whine when they live in multimillionaire homes. I just don't get it.

• Like 5

I wish these celebrities would just STFU and hunker down like the rest of us.  I especially don't need to see anymore dancing and singing videos of them and their kids.  I'm not on social media so I don't look for them, but some news shows broadcast them, and then I change the channel. 

• Like 9

Surely there are more effective ways for a bunch of millionaires to help instead of singing a song about a world with no possessions to the peasants during a time where people are losing their jobs, while they sit at home in their multi-million dollar mansions? 

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Surely there are more effective ways for a bunch of millionaires to help instead of singing a song about a world with no possessions to the peasants during a time where people are losing their jobs, while they sit at home in their multi-million dollar mansions? 

Sadly I fear most of them have become so far removed from what it's like to not be rich and famous that they don't get it. To them being home bound is a minor inconvenience. They don't get that there are thousands of people who were already living pay check to pay check who now, due to this "minor inconvenience" won't have a paycheck for who knows how long. A lot of people aren't going to have to imagine no possessions because soon they might be living it, and currently many, many are. Just another case of rich people not getting what it's like to live with the constant worries of every day survival. 

Also, a bunch of super rich people singing a communist anthem might be ironic in better times but it sure as hell isn't amusing right now. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

Generally celebrities announcing they're sick could help the general public be convinced to self-quarantine and do social distancing.

Would be interesting if they announced how they think they got it but if they point fingers at people who infected them, that could be a problem.

Maybe if they said, I was foolish, I went to this party or didn't wash my hands as often as I should have, etc. that would have some PSA value.

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, scrb said:

Generally celebrities announcing they're sick could help the general public be convinced to self-quarantine and do social distancing.

Would be interesting if they announced how they think they got it but if they point fingers at people who infected them, that could be a problem.

Maybe if they said, I was foolish, I went to this party or didn't wash my hands as often as I should have, etc. that would have some PSA value.

Mind you, not all celebrities are like that. There is some that would take precautions whatever is necessary. There are those that are understandable and pretty knowledgeable. What I can't stand is that some celebrities think the rules don't apply to them and think they could get away with anything. That's one thing I don't like. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Add Andy Cohen to the list of people who are sick. 

Three days ago, this asshole posted this:

So, he was feeling all fine and well three days ago and today he posts his poor-me, sad, sick face IG pic. How did he get THAT sick in three days and have the ability to get tested and get results so quickly? 

I can't stand him. Get well soon and all that but this is just another example of the rich and well connected jumping the line ahead of everyone else. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

So, he was feeling all fine and well three days ago and today he posts his poor-me, sad, sick face IG pic. How did he get THAT sick in three days and have the ability to get tested and get results so quickly? 

I can't stand him. Get well soon and all that but this is just another example of the rich and well connected jumping the line ahead of everyone else. 

With all due respect, I heard on our local news today that you can’t get tested for the Coronavirus just because you want to; you apparently have to show some symptoms that could indicate you have it, a legitimate need for taking the test. I don’t think we know everything about Andy Cohen’s physical condition before he got tested; maybe he was exhibiting symptoms relevant to Coronavirus exposure & was tested on that basis. I know Daniel Dae Kim said he felt unwell for at least a couple of days before he actually got tested. Yes, it does seem like celebrities get everything (including tests like this) they seem to need before us “nobodies” in the world. But it isn’t always true (remember, Heidi Klum went to at least 2 doctors, looking to get tested before she [& her husband, who was beginning to feel symptomatic of some sort of respiratory thing by then] actually was able to get tested, along with her husband). I just don’t feel it’s fair to paint all of the affected celebrities with a “they got tested because they did a quid pro quo with someone who could get them tested sooner (which not all of them did, either)” brush.

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Isn’t he in New York? They’ve recently announced a huge increase in testing sites and results in 1-2 days. 

• Like 8

It is a bit rich of people like the Kylie and Kim telling us to do our part to self quarantine, considering they live in palatial estates with pools, warm climate and  well stocked fridges and pantries, not to much the hundreds of millions of dollars at their disposal not work for several weeks and can get food delivered. They are people who now have to stay in their bedroom as they have to practice social distancing from their roommates. The lucky ones can still work from home, service workers in businesses deemed un essential are screwed.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

James  Marsden has a surprisingly nice voice, tho!

He was in Hairspray.  I don't know if he's been in other musicals, though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, janie jones said:

He was in Hairspray.  I don't know if he's been in other musicals, though.

He was also in Enchanted with Amy Adams. He was the fairy tale prince. I don’t remember the name. I think I remember him singing, but it’s been awhile. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

It is a bit rich of people like the Kylie and Kim telling us to do our part to self quarantine, considering they live in palatial estates with pools, warm climate and  well stocked fridges and pantries, not to much the hundreds of millions of dollars at their disposal not work for several weeks and can get food delivered. They are people who now have to stay in their bedroom as they have to practice social distancing from their roommates.

Is it easier for them?  Yes.  Absolutely. How I wish I had a big bit of land with a big house that I could just go to. But they have a lot of young fans and if they can get a significant portion of their young fans to pay attention and choose to stay inside, I don't care how much easier self quarantining/social distancing is for them.  If they can reverse the messaging that most of the young people have been getting that it's not something that will get them sick so spring break, baby! they will be doing a public service.

For a lot of people it's not feasible but there are also many for whom it absolutely is, they're just not doing it.  So if Kylie and Kim can change minds, then they should do whatever it takes.

I do think celebs play an important role in this, especially as they put faces to the disease that probably felt rather abstract to people until some famous faces announced they had it.

I also can't get all that worked up by a bunch of artists wanting to put out art---for free. I think the only time I've ever liked the song Imagine is when Scott Bakula sang it on Quantum Leap so I embrace criticism of the song but I have no problem with the idea of offering up art.  There are also probably not a lot of other things they could be doing right now.  Even though their houses are probably bigger, they're suck in them too with their families.  They can't really go out and volunteer.  Donating money takes a minute.  They're not the only ones doing weird, bored things on social media right now.  They just get more attention.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 21

28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Is it easier for them?  Yes.  Absolutely. How I wish I had a big bit of land with a big house that I could just go to. But they have a lot of young fans and if they can get a significant portion of their young fans to pay attention and choose to stay inside, I don't care how much easier self quarantining/social distancing is for them.  If they can reverse the messaging that most of the young people have been getting that it's not something that will get them sick so spring break, baby! they will be doing a public service.

For a lot of people it's not feasible but there are also many for whom it absolutely is, they're just not.  So if Kylie and Kim can change minds, then they should do whatever it takes.

I do think celebs play an important role in this, especially as they put faces to the disease that probably felt rather abstract to people until some famous faces announced they had it.

I am a bit pissed off because not only was someone I work for exposed to the Coronavirus, which is forcing both of us to stay in quarantine for the next two weeks (so no grocery shopping for me and I live alone so I am in almost complete isolation) my boss also cut my hours to my already lowing paying job and I don't know how I will make up the money. So excuse me if I am not cheering them both on about them staying in quarantine and encouraging others to do it. It is nice when the celebs are trying to cheer up people and entertain them and donate money for some relief, it angers my blood when well off celebs tell me to self isolate.

• Like 12
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

If he had wanted to be cavalier for himself re the Corona virus, that's one thing- but has he mentioned whether he had made sure his young son is okay despite he himself getting sick OR whether he's got someone caring for the toddler AWAY from him?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

With all due respect, I heard on our local news today that you can’t get tested for the Coronavirus just because you want to; you apparently have to show some symptoms that could indicate you have it, a legitimate need for taking the test.

9 hours ago, Dani-Ellie said:

This is correct. I'm in Massachusetts and have been third-hand exposed. I also have asthma, so coronavirus was already a big concern for me prior to my discovery that I was third-hand exposed. (My asthma gets thrown out of whack even when I get a cold, never mind something like this.) I've been experiencing symptoms (scratchy throat, chest tightness, mild cough) that I'm reasonably sure are due to my seasonal allergies but my doctor's office told me that my symptoms aren't severe enough for me to be tested. So now I'm stuck in this limbo where I probably don't have it but I have to behave as if I do because I can't find out for sure.

Cosign. In my state, current "high priority" testing is for a) people with symptoms severe enough to warrant hospitalization, b) healthcare workers, and c) people who live in nursing home/group home-type settings. A large number of "low priority" samples (from people who don't fit any of those categories) have been stored and frozen because we're having to ration our tests. Meaning, my state's comparatively-"low" number of confirmed cases at the moment doesn't reassure me at all.

In the "not really HELPFUL but still kind of nice" category, Andrew Lloyd-Webber polled his followers on which of his songs they wanted to hear him play while he's social distancing, and he put up a couple videos of their requests ("All I Ask of You" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.") Lin-Manuel Miranda responded with his own rendition of ALW's "Everything's Alright" and challenged ALW to do "You'll Be Back" from Hamilton. I know I'll enjoy it if ALW replies.

• Like 17

40 minutes ago, angora said:

In the "not really HELPFUL but still kind of nice" category, Andrew Lloyd-Webber polled his followers on which of his songs they wanted to hear him play while he's social distancing, and he put up a couple videos of their requests ("All I Ask of You" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.") Lin-Manuel Miranda responded with his own rendition of ALW's "Everything's Alright" and challenged ALW to do "You'll Be Back" from Hamilton. I know I'll enjoy it if ALW replies.

• Like 20

18 hours ago, Blergh said:

If he had wanted to be cavalier for himself re the Corona virus, that's one thing- but has he mentioned whether he had made sure his young son is okay despite he himself getting sick OR whether he's got someone caring for the toddler AWAY from him?

I don't believe he has but to be fair to him, I don't think there's an easy answer.  As the child's sole caregiver (well with nannies, I'd presume) he has probably exposed his child during any asymptomatic period.  If the child is a carrier, he could pass the disease on to the next caregiver even if he never gets sick himself.  I wonder if they'd bother testing a baby considering how many others are waiting to be tested.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't believe he has but to be fair to him, I don't think there's an easy answer.  As the child's sole caregiver (well with nannies, I'd presume) he has probably exposed his child during any asymptomatic period.  If the child is a carrier, he could pass the disease on to the next caregiver even if he never gets sick himself.  I wonder if they'd bother testing a baby considering how many others are waiting to be tested.

Your points are perfectly valid here. However, since Mr. Cohen had shared some 'funny, cute' times with his son, I think it would have been a nice courtesy had he at least told what has happened to the son while he took the time to let everyone know he has come down with this affliction. 

Of course, Mr. Cohen must feel horrible that he may have put his son at risk for(at the very least) becoming a carrier if not a patient of this scary condition. 

• Like 3

Giant Misfit

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.