Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

The only reason I can think of for Legend getting the honor is that he must have paid big bucks to somebody on the People magazine staff.  The man has no sex appeal and Chrissy Teigen can have him.

I think it’s mandatory for all the male hosts of The Voice, the Blake Shelton of it all makes me not bothered by it.

John has a sense of humor about it:

• Like 5
  • Laugh 13

It's weird but I'm torn about Idris Elba.   Sometimes I think he's hot, and then there are times when I just go "meh."  

• Like 9
  • Surprise 2

It seems People chooses who is willing to do a photo shoot, etc. For me, it's always "to each his own." I rarely find their choice sexy, but I have odd tastes.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

It seems People chooses who is willing to do a photo shoot, etc. For me, it's always "to each his own." I rarely find their choice sexy, but I have odd tastes.

Publicists launch big campaigns to get their clients on the list, it is all a big PR stunt. It's no coincidence that 3 different people from The Voice have now been given the honor; NBC undoubtedly paid big bucks for the promotional boost.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

34 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Yes, I might agree with you but most of the time I can see 'why' that guy was chosen. This time I can't even see that the majority of the people in a room would agree. This article shows you all past choices and most fit the title 'sexiest'. IMHO

https://people.com/celebrity/all-the-sexiest-man-alive-covers/

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, free2think said:

Yes, I might agree with you but most of the time I can see 'why' that guy was chosen. This time I can't even see that the majority of the people in a room would agree. This article shows you all past choices and most fit the title 'sexiest'. IMHO

https://people.com/celebrity/all-the-sexiest-man-alive-covers/

But it is most definitely a YMMV situation because for me at least half of those people are just as inexplicable to me as John. Though I find thoughtful, smart, funny people sexy and so John checks those boxes for me.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 20

19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Though I find thoughtful, smart, funny people sexy and so John checks those boxes for me.

Ya, those are good traits for someone to have, but 'Sexy' is a specifically related to sexual attraction in the most obvious and perhaps shallowest way. A guy or gal with 'sex appeal' is evident when they walk into the room. No, I'm not saying everyone would 'like' that person, but everyone would know they entered the room. With one look, you want to find out more or at least do a double-take. 

Most of the men who are chosen say they are 'embarrassed' to have been selected, but this is all ego for them because this is judging them in the most simplistic way.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, free2think said:

Ya, those are good traits for someone to have, but 'Sexy' is a specifically related to sexual attraction in the most obvious and perhaps shallowest way. A guy or gal with 'sex appeal' is evident when they walk into the room. No, I'm not saying everyone would 'like' that person, but everyone would know they entered the room. With one look, you want to find out more or at least do a double-take. 

For some people that simply is not true but even than what people considered sexy physically isn’t the same and all those bland interchangeable white dudes who have long been the hallmark of the People’s list definitely don’t come across as sexy to me.  

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 16

13 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I like to think they put out a call and whoever shows up gets the gig. lol

I rarely find their choice sexy either, but I can usually see why they picked who they picked. I usually understand the mass appeal of a George Clooney (who does nothing for me but I understand why he is considered sexy but John Legend? Does he have some big project coming out that they are helping him promote or something? I honestly didn't know he was still relevant. (I am very out of touch with music.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Does he have some big project coming out that they are helping him promote or something? I

See the aforementioned The Voice clause both of his male cojudfes Blake Shelton and Adam Levine both of which I find equally or in in the case of Blake Shelton more inexplicable.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Yes, part of the deal is that they have to do a photoshoot & an interview. There have been a number of men who have turned it down because they didn't want to do them.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

It's weird but I'm torn about Idris Elba.   Sometimes I think he's hot, and then there are times when I just go "meh."  

I have never understood the adoration Idris Elba gets. He's OK looking, but I just don't think he's the drop dead gorgeous other people seem to think he is.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

See the aforementioned The Voice clause both of his male cojudfes Blake Shelton and Adam Levine both of which I find equally or in in the case of Blake Shelton more inexplicable.

OMG they were at any point in life considered the Sexiest men alive?!??! Have our standards sunk THAT low? People do know that just because someone can sing it isn't the same as them actually being sexy, right? There is literally nothing sexy about Blake Shelton! I am pretty sure if he wasn't a rich, famous musician no one would give him a second look.

I would say Legend is a step up from those two because at least he doesn't come across half as sleazy as either of them do. 

• Like 7

I don't know what is sadder a 60 year old whose soulmate is 20 or a 20 year old whose soulmate is 60. I mean, I could get if she was after his money and he just wanted a "hot" young thing on his arm, but what do they have in common? She has barely even begun to live her own life and he's getting AARP discounts left and right! I would believe it more if he hadn't started on about his soulmate being barely an adult.

• Like 15

The 60 year old who marries a 20 year old is sadder. Sacrificing good conversation and shared interests for a young, hot thing. At least she can divorce herself mentally from him until he dies or divorces her to marry an 18 year old.

• Like 12

It's not so much the age difference that creeps me out (though the fact that he is three times her age is definitely creepy), but his history with women. That's why my advice to this young lady is RUN, DON'T WALK!!!

• Like 15

Is Peter Cook that wealthy??? I cannot imagine a 20 year old being interested in him. Maybe if he has mega millions, but even then---ewww.

I would be staging an intervention, if I were her parents.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, xaxat said:

Separate cases, different judges, but this has got to be unsettling news for Lori Loughlin.

Judge calls USC dad a 'thief,' gives longest prison sentence so far in college admissions scandal

Yes, I love what this Judge said during the court sentencing because it explains exactly why folks are angry about this college scheme. 

"You had the audacity and the self-aggrandizing impudence to use your wealth to cheat and lie your way around the rules that apply to everyone else."

I'm not angry at a rich guy who builds a building or wing at a college, and then their kid "magically" gets admitted because at least all the rest of the student body gets something out of the donation; no cheating just flaunting their money.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, free2think said:

Yes, I love what this Judge said during the court sentencing because it explains exactly why folks are angry about this college scheme. 

I'm not angry at a rich guy who builds a building or wing at a college, and then their kid "magically" gets admitted because at least all the rest of the student body gets something out of the donation; no cheating just flaunting their money.

And yet he only got six months and it was a lot less than the prosecution was seeking even though it was a different judge.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, biakbiak said:

And yet he only got six months and it was a lot less than the prosecution was seeking even though it was a different judge.

Very true, but this guy pleaded guilt and 6 months is quite some time in a place where you have no personal freedom. Even a gilded cage is still a cage. 

I want to see what happens when the first parent who pleaded 'not guilty' goes to trial, if 6 months is now the high benchmark for the ones who pleaded guilty.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Is Peter Cook that wealthy??? I cannot imagine a 20 year old being interested in him. Maybe if he has mega millions, but even then---ewww.

He's a contactor. I don't know what his net worth is, but he's rich enough to live in the Hamptons. I agree about the parents (and relatives, and friends). I feel sorry for Sailor, too. 😳

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

He's a contactor. I don't know what his net worth is, but he's rich enough to live in the Hamptons. I agree about the parents (and relatives, and friends). I feel sorry for Sailor, too. 😳

He’s an architect so he mostly designs homes for the wealthy so I imagine he is well off but not crazy rich.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He’s an architect so he mostly designs homes for the wealthy so I imagine he is well off but not crazy rich.

Thanks. I knew it was something along those lines. I also meant to say CONTRACTOR. Dang you, auto correct!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Her parents are probably waiting for their copy of the prenuptual agreement before going off all half-cocked.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Her parents are probably waiting for their copy of the prenuptual agreement before going off all half-cocked.

Her parents own art galleries in NY and LA and sent her to boarding school in England I don’t think they are hurting for his money.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

11 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Yeah, long gone are the days when the People editors could get some exclusive paparazzi snaps of JFK, Jr. working out shirtless in Central Park, slap a stock photo of him on the cover and have their Sexiest Man Alive issue done and dusted. It's a bit of hype to sell magazines. They're not going to pick anyone who doesn't agree to the accompanying interviews/photo shoots that come with the title. Rumor has it that People has really wanted to pick Ryan Gosling but he's declined and they finally gave up.

I follow Henry Golding on Instagram and he absolutely seems like the kind of star who would 100% go along with the whole PR blitz, plus he has a new movie out right now. Maybe they think he is another 2-3 years away from being enough of a household name.

John Legend, I don't mind as SMA, his voice and piano playing are so smooth and he's built up an image as a caring husband/father. There's dangerously/smolderingly sexy and sometimes it's more of a sexy dad choice for Sexiest Man Alive, like when it was Matt Damon (before Twitter would have hated that pick).   

Edited by Dejana · Reason: word choice, order
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t understand the words “dangerously sexy” and Matt Damon being in the same sentence.

You're right; word order is important! I edited to convey what I was really trying to say. 

I do wonder why it wasn't Jason Momoa this year, as he doesn't strike me as the type who'd think Sexiest Man Alive was "beneath" him. He's pretty well known, is considered the sexy type by many, and has a new show on Apple TV+ so the timing would have been good. Maybe The Voice really does have a deal with People Magazine.

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, free2think said:

I would bet money John gets this reaction when he walks into a room.

He has good skin, a nice smile, a toned body and looks rather symmetrical.  Those are all standard qualities in "attractive" people.  He's an EGOT winner and a successful performer who can own a stage.  That suggests that he has a significant charisma factor.  Charisma is what makes people take a second look, IMO. 

10 hours ago, free2think said:

Most of the men who are chosen say they are 'embarrassed' to have been selected

Ha.  They lie.  I appreciate John's approach to this in that he and his wife are having a lot of fun.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 17
  • Useful 1

21 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I guess that's why I won't find my personal favourite Timothy Olyphant on this since I can't see him agreeing to this circus show. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I would bet money John gets this reaction when he walks into a room.

He has good skin, a nice smile, a toned body and looks rather symmetrical.  Those are all standard qualities in "attractive" people.  He's an EGOT winner and a successful performer who can own a stage.  That suggests that he has a significant charisma factor.  Charisma is what makes people take a second look, IMO. 

Ha.  They lie.  I appreciate John's approach to this in that he and his wife are having a lot of fun.

I was reading a thread on a romance novel Facebook group, and many posters are please with John being selected.  He is what is known as a Beta/cinnamon roll hero.  Most of the men who have been previously crowned this honor would be Alphas.  I like when People mixes the guys up and chooses a different kind of sexy.  John Legend is not the guy you hook up with for one wild night, he's the guy you settle down with, go about your daily life with, he's going to cuddle, listen, etc.  

I also love how much fun John and Chrissy are having on Twitter with this news.  

• Like 19

Yeah standards of beauty and definitions of sexy are not objective.  They come pre-loaded with a lot cultural conditioning and historical context. 

For instance, the body art and modifications that some cultures practice that denote the pinnacle of physical beauty and attractiveness for them can be considered odd or even off-putting to another culture.

Also the ideal changes over time.  The male romantic ideal of the 20s of say, a Rudolf Valentino, morphs into the more brash , overtly masculine of a Clark Gable in the 30s which moves into the more urbane  like Rock Hudson or Cary Grant in the 50s.

But even beyond the immediately physical there are qualities that imbue sexiness and attractiveness that go beyond looks and physique.  I mean, I wouldn't say Fred Astaire was a the most handsome or even overtly masculine man I've ever seen, but he was a romantic lead for a ton of movies and could probably pull any woman he wanted and it is because he was a brilliant, brilliant dancer. I am not gonna lie, Fred could probably get it!   I agree that there is something about being brilliant and talented in your field that rises above generic masculine beauty or some objective definition of sexy that makes someone quite sexy.

• Like 14

I'm okay with John Legend as sexiest man.   He's not bad looking.   Doesn't make my heart go pitter patter like the Clooney or Cumberbatch.   But darn sight better than Adam Levine.   Good grief.   So ya know, they could have, and actually have, done worse.

• Like 11

On 11/14/2019 at 6:21 AM, Enigma X said:

I like grungy and nongrungy Mamoa. I also like grungy and nongrungy Pitt. So...

A woman (or man. or non-binary person) after my own heart. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, Ohwell said:

You speak the truth (although I do prefer clean shaven, bathed Momoa instead of the hairy beast Momoa).   

The only reason I can think of for Legend getting the honor is that he must have paid big bucks to somebody on the People magazine staff.  The man has no sex appeal and Chrissy Teigen can have him.

Bearded Mamoa is a work of art. But... I don't know how if I'd be able to kiss his lips through all of that face bush. 

And I like John Legend as a musician and a person. But sexy, he is not. Sorry. 

I'm okay with John Legend as sexiest man.   He's not bad looking.   Doesn't make my heart go pitter patter like the Clooney or Cumberbatch.   But darn sight better than Adam Levine.   Good grief.   So ya know, they could have, and actually have, done worse.

I love Cumberbatch as an actor. As an actor. 

Edited by topanga
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was reading a thread on a romance novel Facebook group, and many posters are please with John being selected.  He is what is known as a Beta/cinnamon roll hero.  Most of the men who have been previously crowned this honor would be Alphas.  I like when People mixes the guys up and chooses a different kind of sexy.  John Legend is not the guy you hook up with for one wild night, he's the guy you settle down with, go about your daily life with, he's going to cuddle, listen, etc.  

Yes, I don't think the term"sexiest" is literal as in a sexy body or face. Think how often women think men with tiny babies is sexy, there are different kinds of sexy. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GaT said:

Yes, I don't think the term"sexiest" is literal as in a sexy body or face. Think how often women think men with tiny babies is sexy, there are different kinds of sexy. 

Exactly. I'm not even looking to have kids at this time (if ever), but a guy who's good with them? Definitely sexy. Intelligence is sexy to me, too, as is a sense of humor. Certainly there's physical traits I find very appealing in a guy, too, and hell, they may be the first thing I'll notice about someone. But that alone isn't enough for me to label somebody sexy.

As for John Legend, I can see it. I don't follow his career all that closely or anything, but he used to be a frequent guest on "The Colbert Report" and he came off pretty charming and cool there, and he's good-looking, so it makes sense he'd be picked. I've said before that a lot of the kinds of guys I like are the sort who never make the cover of that issue, but they have popped up in some of the smaller sections of those issues here and there, which is nice.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I suppose I'd be fine with that if it went both ways. Women always say things like, "smart/talent is sexy" when it comes to men but so rarely do we hear men say that about women. And men's magazines certainly aren't going to a physically average looking female who is incredibly talented out there as the sexiest woman alive. 

Also, men doing basic things like parenting is not sexy to me. Demonstration of low level basic parenting skills just doesn't make me think, "Oh, I want that guy." 

So when naming the sexiest man alive, I want it based on straight up, hard core physical appeal, not physical mediocrity or 'cuteness.'

• Like 9

12 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Yikes, Eva is pregnant with their third child and they're splitting up now? Their statement makes it sound amicable, at least. I wonder if it was a situation where the relationship was already failing and they thought having a baby would help. A couple of years ago, she blogged about their family being complete after two kids. People can change their minds about that and surprises happen, of course...

https://happilyevaafter.com/emotion-comes-completed-family/

• Like 3

I was today years old when I found out that Joshua Jackson and Jodie-Turner Smith were dating, possibly engaged, possibly already married and possibly pregnant.

I always thought he and Diane Kruger made a nice couple.  But JTS is really a striking looking woman. Also she is getting good buzz for her role in the movie Queen and Slim.  Go 'head with your bad self Pacey!

joshua-jackson-jodie-turner-smith-getty-1187751579-510x600.jpg.7402e849bc9010fabfd11cfebfc47c39.jpg

Edited by DearEvette
  • Like 16
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, Dejana said:

Yikes, Eva is pregnant with their third child and they're splitting up now? Their statement makes it sound amicable, at least. I wonder if it was a situation where the relationship was already failing and they thought having a baby would help. A couple of years ago, she blogged about their family being complete after two kids. People can change their minds about that and surprises happen, of course...

I had no idea she was even married, let alone had kids (I just know she's Susan Sarandon's daughter and I've seen her in a few things [as Eva Amurri, no Martino]), but that article about their split is disturbing. 

He did fuck all to help with the kids, because of his sexist notions about who's responsible for childcare in a family, and she didn't want any more kids but he did.  Somewhere in there, they got a lot of therapy trying to deal with the sexist division of labor issue, and it was better but still an ongoing thing they worked at.  Skip to June, when she agreed that she'd go off birth control and if they got pregnant on their vacation, a third child would be meant to be, but if not, no more kids ever (all while figuring she wouldn't get pregnant, because she'd always had to try to get pregnant before).  In September, she announced she was pregnant.  Now in November, they're announcing "We have realized over time that the best path to happiness for us as a family is in this different direction ..."

So yet another couple making the inane Band Aid baby decision, only worse because of the gross gender stereotypes she was dealing with the whole time. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 9

On 11/16/2019 at 10:01 AM, DearEvette said:

I was today years old when I found out that Joshua Jackson and Jodie-Turner Smith were dating, possibly engaged, possibly already married and possibly pregnant.

I always thought he and Diane Kruger made a nice couple.  But JTS is really a striking looking woman. Also she is getting good buzz for her role in the movie Queen and Slim.  Go 'head with your bad self Pacey!

Bwah. Josh will always be "Pacey" to me. Jodie-Turner Smith is beautiful and she is about to blow up with her performance in Queen and Slim. They have been together for a while and one of the gossip mags said that they got a marriage license a few weeks ago. The dress is why people think she might be pregnant. They haven't made an official announcement. I wish them the best, but Josh has a reputation as a player. The rumor was that he and Diane Kruger had an open relationship. I think that she moved on when she realized that he was never going to commit to her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

The dress is why people think she might be pregnant.

The dress is a beautiful color on her but the design is unfortunate.

• Like 4

Drogo

This is a place for news about celebrities.

This isn't a place for news about not-celebrities.