PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Ready?

giphy.gif

Edited by Dani · Reason: Incorrect info

Just now, Dani said:

She’s not being sentenced until September. So at a minimum she’ll spend that 5-6 months in jail.

My comment was about the college admission perps' pleas. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Allison Mack is not being sentenced until September. So at a minimum she’ll spend that 5-6 months in jail.

She out on bail.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

She out on bail.

Edited by Dani · Reason: Still wrong

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

She is? That would be unusual after pleading guilty. The coverage I’ve seen just says she had been out on bail. 

That's not unusual. Many people stay out on bail even after being convicted. None of the news stories I've seen say that Alison Mack's bail is revoked, so I would assume she's still out.

• Like 4

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From USA TodayMichael Phelps and Wife Nicole Share They Are Expecting Third Child in Cute Announcement

Michael Phelps is, of course, the legendary Olympic Men’s Swimmer & winner of 28 Olympic medals, 13 of them gold.

I hate Michael Phelps; I know it's irrational but I do.  I don't wish his family ill, but they can go away anytime as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That's not unusual. Many people stay out on bail even after being convicted. None of the news stories I've seen say that Alison Mack's bail is revoked, so I would assume she's still out.

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I could be proved completely wrong, and I don't have any hard evidence to back up my feeling, but my feeling is that Felicity is legitimately ashamed and sorry for what she did, while Lori is mostly really angry and defensive. I guess I'm going mainly by their demeanor since it all blew up. 

I want to believe that too, but Huffman is the better of the two actresses by a rather wide margin. If one of them were going to be able to fool us by faking contrition my money would be on her.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 11

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I know what she did. But if she cut a deal then she's still only going to get a teensy slap on the wrist like in that picture above. She deserves more but she won't get it.

I still think that Mack does some serious time, for her anyway, especially with allegations that she coerced a 17 year old girl into having sex with Ranier, but we'll see.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 5

From WPTA-TV (Fort Wayne, IN): Fleetwood Mac Cancels Jazz Fest, Other Dates Due to Illness

Fleetwood Mac was scheduled to replace The Rolling Stones at the New Orleans Jazz Fest after Mick Jagger became ill & needed time off to have & recover from a minimally invasive cardiac procedure. Now, Stevie Nicks has apparently become ill with some unspecified condition & Fleetwood Mac finds itself having to cancel the New Orleans Jazz Fest appearance & other, unspecified, dates on their tour.

The linked article stated Widespread Panic has been named to replace Fleetwood Mac at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Let’s hope the third time’s (act’s) the charm & this replacement sticks.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

From WPTA-TV (Fort Wayne, IN): Fleetwood Mac Cancels Jazz Fest, Other Dates Due to Illness

Fleetwood Mac was scheduled to replace The Rolling Stones at the New Orleans Jazz Fest after Mick Jagger became ill & needed time off to have & recover from a minimally invasive cardiac procedure. Now, Stevie Nicks has apparently become ill with some unspecified condition & Fleetwood Mac finds itself having to cancel the New Orleans Jazz Fest appearance & other, unspecified, dates on their tour.

The linked article stated Widespread Panic has been named to replace Fleetwood Mac at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Let’s hope the third time’s (act’s) the charm & this replacement sticks.

The lesson learned is that ALL of these groups are old as sht.

At least with Stevie Nicks I'm somewhat sad about her ill health. I mean I don't wish Mick Magger ill or anything, but honestly I wish those guys would just retire already.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I actually love that these musicians are able to pull in an audience well into their 70's.  We have an inherent ageism, in the USA anyway, that for most of us, is difficult if not impossible to fight.  Who am I to judge when someone is no longer viable?  Rock on rockers!

I think it’s awesome. To me it is stunning when they still have amazing voices well into their 70s - that profession takes a toll on the vocal cords.

• Like 16

47 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I think it’s awesome. To me it is stunning when they still have amazing voices well into their 70s - that profession takes a toll on the vocal cords.

As do the drugs, the cigarettes and the drinking. 

• Like 10

Here's another deal for the former co-chair of a law firm: "a term at the lower end of an 8- to 14-month range, plus a year of supervised release and a $40,000 fine.

Those fines are far too low, IMO. It's okay if the courts want theirs, but a special fund should be set up (so no tax deductions) and each parent should be made to cough up at least $250K. (Or is that rich-ist of me?)

It's nice to see guilty pleas coming in for such wealthy defendants. Typically they'd hire expensive representation and dig in, but the Feds have a fairly unassailable case with the paper trails.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, GaT said:

Anthrax Scare at Hollywood Hills Home Owned by Monty Python's Eric Idle

They sent it by certified letter, that doesn't sound too bright to me.

I am sure it was to make it more “official” it doesn’t require any personal information for the sender unless they want a return receipt to which I imagine they didn’t do or did a fake address.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

People with the money to pay it generally stay out on bail.  That's one of the problems a lot of people have with our bail system.  Poor people can end up staying in jail for months and even years before they're even sentenced.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, 2727 said:

Here's another deal for the former co-chair of a law firm: "a term at the lower end of an 8- to 14-month range, plus a year of supervised release and a $40,000 fine.

Those fines are far too low, IMO. It's okay if the courts want theirs, but a special fund should be set up (so no tax deductions) and each parent should be made to cough up at least $250K. (Or is that rich-ist of me?)

It's nice to see guilty pleas coming in for such wealthy defendants. Typically they'd hire expensive representation and dig in, but the Feds have a fairly unassailable case with the paper trails.

Aren’t a lot of the defendants going to be in trouble with the IRS as a separate issue, if they claimed for tax deductions in relation to some of the ‘bribes’?

With interest and penalties, they could well have a tidy sum to pay. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

even years before they're even sentenced.

Or even brought to trial.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Aren’t a lot of the defendants going to be in trouble with the IRS as a separate issue, if they claimed for tax deductions in relation to some of the ‘bribes’?

With interest and penalties, they could well have a tidy sum to pay. 

The maximum yearly deduction for a charitable expeneses is a total of $12,000 for an individual or $24,000 for a joint filing. Most spent a lot more than that and it would also mean that they gave no other charitable deductions. I believe that was alluded to by a few people but I don’t think that is going to be that major for any of them.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

I don't think that any of them will be going to prison. Their real punishment is their lawyers' fees. They will be desperate to get work they can get to pay off those expensive lawyers. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I don't think that any of them will be going to prison. Their real punishment is their lawyers' fees. They will be desperate to get work they can get to pay off those expensive lawyers. 

If they can pay upwards of $250K to buy their kids way into to elite schools, then on top of that pay the tuition once they were in, they can no doubt afford to pay their attorneys fees. 

IMO, there won't be any real punishment for these individuals except being side -eyed (and MAYBE ostracized) in their social circles for actually getting caught. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Jaded said:

There is definitely a deal there.   Why would she agree to a deal if there wasn’t?  I am just not sure if she will avoid jail.  This is Isn’t a bunch of rich ladies  throwing around their money.  This is a sex crime.  Plus actual people were hurt.  Not theorical people.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

There is definitely a deal there.   Why would she agree to a deal if there wasn’t?  I am just not sure if she will avoid jail.  This is Isn’t a bunch of rich ladies  throwing around their money.  This is a sex crime.  Plus actual people were hurt.  Not theorical people.  

She's only pleading to the racketeering.   Which means all the sex crime is dropped.

Gotta be a deal.   

• Like 3
  • Surprise 3

13 hours ago, Kromm said:

At least with Stevie Nicks I'm somewhat sad about her ill health. I mean I don't wish Mick Magger ill or anything, but honestly I wish those guys would just retire already.

I appreciate that Fleetwood Mac has stayed true to their brand so much that they kicked Lindsay Buckingham out of the band again in 2019.

These grudges they're harboring towards one another are old enough to be grandparents.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 10

44 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

She's only pleading to the racketeering.   Which means all the sex crime is dropped.

Gotta be a deal.   

Yep. They want to nail the Raniere guy as hard as they can. Which probably means they're letting her off the hook in exchange for everything she knows about him.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kromm said:

At least with Stevie Nicks I'm somewhat sad about her ill health. I mean I don't wish Mick Magger ill or anything, but honestly I wish those guys would just retire already.

Was Mick Magger a typo? Just curious.

• Laugh 1

14 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Mick Jagger became ill & needed time off to have & recover from a minimally invasive cardiac procedure.

My brother-in-law just had valve replacement and it is anything but minimally invasive.  They do get them up right away though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Enero said:

If they can pay upwards of $250K to buy their kids way into to elite schools, then on top of that pay the tuition once they were in, they can no doubt afford to pay their attorneys fees. 

IMO, there won't be any real punishment for these individuals except being side -eyed (and MAYBE ostracized) in their social circles for actually getting caught. 

You are probably right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

My brother-in-law just had valve replacement and it is anything but minimally invasive.  They do get them up right away though.

Did he have the standard “open chest” procedure or something else? As it said in the article I linked upthread about what happened to Mick, his valve replacement was done much like a cardiac catheterization (or an angioplasty) is, sending the valve to the heart via a catheter inserted into a major artery, & it is described as “minimally invasive”. The procedure is apparently fairly new. It’s called Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, or TAVR.

From NOLA.com, here’s a good background article on the procedure: What to Know About the Innovative Heart Valve Replacement Procedure Mick Jagger Underwent

The above link includes an animated (NOT real life, so NO blood & guts) video showing the procedure, from the point at which everything starts being sent to the heart through removal of the catheter & whatever else aids in implantation of the valve, for anyone with an interest in science/medicine, or anyone who’s curious about the procedure. And they do call it a “procedure” as opposed to “surgery”.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add an informative link, italics and boldface type and comments about an included video.
  • Like 6

I had to do some serious digging to find out what exactly Mack pleaded guilty to and turns out that TMZ is one of the few media outlets that had the info. Mack pleaded guilty to two charges; racketeering and racketeering conspiracy. She cried a lot in court to get the judge on side and will be sentenced in September.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I am not so sure. I mean yes we have rich and famous people here. But at the same time Martha Stewart was way more famous than Lori Laughlin (and probably more famous than Felicity Huffman) and convicted of what seems like a less serious crime and she did prison time. 

• Like 10

Do I think Miss Mack would have deserved to have had the book thrown at her for her role in being an accomplice and accessory to those horrific crimes against so many women? Sure.

However; if her plea means that the cult bigwig gets completely NAILED (and it may have been the only way to ensure an airtight case against them), then it's something to take comfort in- and, no matter the sentence is for Miss Mack, she will always have it as public record her participation in such a ghastly enterprise that will ensure few folks with brains will want to have anything to do with her! 

Edited by Blergh · Reason: means
  • Like 15

Just my personal opinion of course, but I don't see any value to anyone in either Felicity, Lori or her husband sitting in a jail cell. It's not like society needs to be protected from them. I think they should repay their crime in some productive or beneficial way. Through large financial donations to needy organizations, of course, and through actual, not nominal, community service, using their fame and power to help people. 

Of course they can't just walk away because after all, a crime was committed, but the punishment should make sense, fit the crime, and actually help society. 

One last thought is that for Lori and Felicity, they're living a massive punishment right now, because they're celebrities. They've been publicly shamed and mocked on a worldwide scale. That should be taken into consideration too. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Public humiliation that you brought on yourself does not count towards official punishment.  Sorry.

I know right. 

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I stand corrected and salute the justice system if they all actually do some time.

ETA: The more I think about, it is difficult to believe that LL and her husband will get two years. However, TMZ usually gets the legal info correct.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 5

I know right. 

I stand corrected and salute the justice system if they all actually do some time.

ETA: The more I think about, it is difficult to believe that LL and her husband will get two years. However, TMZ usually gets the legal info correct.

Me too.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm a little shocked by that too, but TMZ is often right.

I think they should repay their crime in some productive or beneficial way. Through large financial donations to needy organizations, of course, and through actual, not nominal, community service, using their fame and power to help people. 

I thought it would have been funny and fitting if they had to pay 1 million dollars to scholarship funds for actual rowers that actually want to be in college.

My god though, if two years is the plea deal I seriously wonder what they'd be looking at if they went through the trial.

In any event, it was so worth it for your spoiled brat daughter who is more concerned about relaunching her beauty brand than the fact that you're looking at jail time!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 11

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.