Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

4 hours ago, Enero said:

Honestly, I don't care whether she learns from this or not. No matter she's white and she's rich. She'll be fine. 

She'll still be white, but don't count on the rich part. Her parents are going to be spending a lot of their money trying to keep themselves out of federal prison, & I doubt she'll be making much money as an "influencer"anymore.

• Like 7

The news stories said that Huffman and Macy decided not to go through with the SAT cheating a second time. But, I just saw that the younger daughter is only 16. So it’s not so much they decided not to cheat but that they got caught before they could. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Candace Cameron Bure and Lacy Chabert will pick up a few new roles!

The crew team must be devastated.

I forgot that Candace was involved with Hallmark.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

But, I just saw that the younger daughter is only 16. So it’s not so much they decided not to cheat but that they got caught before they could. 

What grade is she in? I was 16 when I took the SAT which was spring of my Junior year and several of my friends took it even earlier.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Candace Cameron Bure and Lacy Chabert will pick up a few new roles!

The crew team must be devastated.

Candace Cameron Bure is already starring in the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries movie franchise on Hallmark Mysteries and Movies. I’ve never seen an actor/actress star in 2 of their mystery movie franchises at once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

What grade is she in? I was 16 when I took the SAT which was spring of my Junior year.

Looking at the affidavit in February 2019  the plan was for her to take the SAT in early March on her own and then possibly retaking it in May with cheating if needed. It does say that they decided not to go forward with cheating. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Looking at the affidavit in February 2019  the plan was for her to take the SAT in early March on her own and then possibly retaking it in May with cheating if needed. It does say that they decided not to go forward with cheating. 

Just my interpretation, but it sounded like they thought the younger daughter would take the test and then if results weren't good enough would do more SAT prep and try again for a better score, but the older daughter they felt they could only persuade to take the test again but not do anything to be more ready for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Just my interpretation, but it sounded like they thought the younger daughter would take the test and then if results weren't good enough would do more SAT prep and try again for a better score, but the older daughter they felt they could only persuade to take the test again but not do anything to be more ready for it.

Basically (per the affidavit); the older daughter would be happy with the score they'd arrange for her to get (because it would be a good score, plenty for the colleges to which she'd be applying), and that would be that -- take it once, hit your target, done.  But the younger daughter - being serious about her academics - would, however high the falsely-inflated score the cheater gave her, want to take it again to see if she could do even better.  So if they gave her Score A, and then she took it again and Score B (the score she got on her own) was significantly lower, that would raise eyebrows -- hers, tutor's, counselor's, SAT board, etc.  Or if they let her take it on her own, and Score A was far lower than they wanted, so they cheated to get Score B, that big jump would raise eyebrows -- either way, it was a risk to have a false score and a real score, because of the potential discrepancy.

I guess they could have kept paying for the cheat each time, and always given her within 20 points of the same score, which would have made me laugh had this happened and the girl had unknowingly jacked up their bill by taking the test half a dozen times. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

So, not so much they grew a conscious and realized that cheating is wrong so much as their second daughter actually gives a shit about academics and made it too hard for them to cheat on her behalf. Go Second Daughter! She must be freaking embarrassed. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 5

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Basically (per the affidavit); the older daughter would be happy with the score they'd arrange for her to get (because it would be a good score, plenty for the colleges to which she'd be applying), and that would be that -- take it once, hit your target, done.  But the younger daughter - being serious about her academics - would, however high the falsely-inflated score the cheater gave her, want to take it again to see if she could do even better.  So if they gave her Score A, and then she took it again and Score B (the score she got on her own) was significantly lower, that would raise eyebrows -- hers, tutor's, counselor's, SAT board, etc.  Or if they let her take it on her own, and Score A was far lower than they wanted, so they cheated to get Score B, that big jump would raise eyebrows -- either way, it was a risk to have a false score and a real score, because of the potential discrepancy.

I guess they could have kept paying for the cheat each time, and always given her within 20 points of the same score, which would have made me laugh had this happened and the girl had unknowingly jacked up their bill by taking the test half a dozen times. 

That’s how I read it too. I was just surprised to see that after reports that they decided not to cheat the truth is she hadn’t even taken the test the first time when the shit hit the fan. 

So probably the only reason WHM avoided arrest was their daughter is an over achiever. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 5

On 3/13/2019 at 6:32 PM, Annber03 said:

The scheme was discovered accidentally by the FBI while working an unrelated undercover operation about a year ago, officials said. That tip led to a sprawling, nationwide corruption probe."

Ironically, many huge discoveries in science are made when looking at something else 🤔

• Like 15

On 3/14/2019 at 6:08 PM, Mabinogia said:

So, not so much they grew a conscious and realized that cheating is wrong so much as their second daughter actually gives a shit about academics and made it too hard for them to cheat on her behalf. Go Second Daughter! She must be freaking embarrassed. 

It's awkward dinner table conversation all around in that household.  Huffman got indicted but Macy didn't, obviously, but then there are the two girls being handled differently.  The one they purchased an SAT score for is the one who goes to an arts high school and wants to follow them into the entertainment industry.  The younger one goes to a "very academic school" and wants to study political science.  So does the older one think, "Great, so you saw my PSAT scores, decided I was just a dumb actor, and decided you needed to cheat for me?"  Does the younger one think, "Well, I'm glad you changed your mind about me, but what is this -- she wants to carry on the family business, so she's the one you go all out for?"

How do you feel when your parents say they're proud of you, what you've accomplished, and where you want to head in life, but then you find out they did/considered doing something like this behind your back?  And now the whole world knows about it?

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 18
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, Dani said:

Sephora dropped her earlier today. She probably doesn’t care about losing her place at USC but this probably hurts her. Since she’s not an “influencer” (what a stupid concept) for the money it must be for the attention. 

The thing is, a lot of her sponsorships were tied into her being a college student.  For example, Amazon decorated her dorm room and she did promotional videos giving a tour of the room pointing out all the cool stuff Amazon has for dorm living.  If she ends up back at home with Mom and Dad at age 19, she isn't going to have the same ability to draw followers and sponsors.

As for her and her sister withdrawing so they wouldn't be the target of 'bullies', well, that's one way to put it.  Another would be that they're afraid that their classmates will call them out for what they are: cheaters.  Not so much bullying as truth telling, IMO.  If it were me, I'd be ashamed to show my face again at that University, too.  But, it seems they have no shame, so 'bullying' it is.

I get why Felicity and Bill decided not to fix the test for their younger daughter, but, it sounds like it wasn't so much that she wouldn't allow it but that there was too much chance they'd get caught.  She is probably just a junior in high school at this point and still deciding what schools she's interested in.  There was plenty of time for them to arrange some fake athletic achievements for her once they got her SAT scores back and could gauge how much it would cost to buy her into the school of her choice.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 16

23 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Ah, the old, 'the system is rigged and everybody does it' defense.  Tell that to the kids who played it straight and didn't cheat.

It’s especially ridiculous in this situation because these kids had every advantage in life they were just lazy or dumb. For less than $500k LL and her husband could have gotten coaches and equipment to make her kids decent crew members if they had wanted to put in the work.

• Like 22

2 hours ago, GaT said:

She'll still be white, but don't count on the rich part. Her parents are going to be spending a lot of their money trying to keep themselves out of federal prison, & I doubt she'll be making much money as an "influencer"anymore.

Her Dad has a net worth of 80 million, Mom has 8 million. I'm sure it will trickle down to her, unfortunately. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s especially ridiculous in this situation because these kids had every advantage in life they were just lazy or dumb. For less than $500k LL and her husband could have gotten coaches and equipment to make her kids decent crew members if they had wanted to put in the work.

My son has a best friend since kindergarten, the loud fat kid who loves video games.  He got into Crew in high school, slimmed down and is going to a tier 1 school next year.  He was always smart but the crew thing was a surprise.  To fake doing crew is almost impossible to fathom. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, duddley said:

Her Dad has a net worth of 80 million, Mom has 8 million. I'm sure it will trickle down to her, unfortunately. 

I wonder if LL and her husband put up their house to cover bond because it was the quickest way to get out of jail or if that money is tied up in things other then paying to get their kids into schools.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I wonder if LL and her husband put up their house to cover bond because it was the quickest way to get out of jail or if that money is tied up in things other then paying to get their kids into schools.

Maybe they have some investments they don’t want to cash in right now? The house might be the best or fastest way like you say.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This. I've seen a few people saying things like that online: "Let's not judge, after all, you'd probably do the same if you were in this situation." 

No. I can safely and honestly say I would not. I wouldn't even think to look into such a thing in the first place. And I find it sad that some people are so cynical that they believe more people would do this kind of thing than wouldn't. 

Same. /my parents wouldn't have done it, either. 

24 minutes ago, duddley said:

I followed a link to the Daily Fail, last night, that had pictures of their house, and stated that they'd put it up for sale in 2017 (?) with a listing price of $35,000,000. It showed them still flying a USC flag. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It's awkward dinner table conversation all around in that household.  Huffman got indicted but Macy didn't, obviously, but then there are the two girls being handled differently.  The one they purchased an SAT score is the one who goes to an arts high school and wants to follow them into the entertainment industry.  The younger one goes to a "very academic school" and wants to study political science. 

This is what makes me shake my head about the whole thing.  I don't know much about Lori's older daughter but it looks like college isn't what she wanted.  And it's not what William and Felicity's oldest wanted either--or at least not the kind of liberal arts education that you'd get USC.  In a way, it's doing all this money and fraud to push people into educational paths they don't want.

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I get why Felicity and Bill decided not to fix the test for their younger daughter, but, it sounds like it wasn't so much that she wouldn't allow it but that there was too much chance they'd get caught.  She is probably just a junior in high school at this point and still deciding what schools she's interested in.  There was plenty of time for them to arrange some fake athletic achievements for her once they got her SAT scores back and could gauge how much it would cost to buy her into the school of her choice.

I think the fact that they were afraid the daughter would want to keep taking it potentially indicates they didn't fully tell their daughters what was happening. 

• Like 7

Just checked out Gina Caruso's instagram, and she's getting bombarded with nasty comments, too. Just saw a racist comment from a guy who said they are all "spoiled bitches" who need to be "stuffed with" a certain type of dick. This is what I was talking about. A married man, middle-aged, probably thinks he's a great guy. 

Comments are being deleted, so hopefully his will be soon. 

• Sad 5

57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

NOt only that, but if my parents had done it for me (they wouldn't have), I would have flatly refused any college acceptances I got.  I'm far from perfect, but the one thing I'm not is a cheater.  As soon as you start cheating, it's hard to stop and then it just snowballs from there and you have no accomplishment you can actually call your own. I'd rather fail on my own two feet.

Exactly. 

And if I found out my parents pulled something like this, if I found out they felt they needed to bribe people because they didn't feel I would ever be capable of trying to improve on my own? I don't think I'd ever be able to speak to them again.

16 minutes ago, Anela said:

Just checked out Gina Caruso's instagram, and she's getting bombarded with nasty comments, too. Just saw a racist comment from a guy who said they are all "spoiled bitches" who need to be "stuffed with" a certain type of dick. This is what I was talking about. A married man, middle-aged, probably thinks he's a great guy. 

Ugh. Some people really just should never be allowed to have internet access of any kind. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

So I don't believe kids can blame their parents for everything forever.  Kids can become adults that are decent, hard working, and honest people in spite of their upbringing.

But, they didn't necessarily have every advantage.  They had entitled and elitist parents who were willing to bribe and cheat to get their kids something they didn't earn.  And its likely not the first time the parents pulled these kind of stunts.   There is every possibility that these kids are the way they are in large part because of how their parents are and how they raised them.  I seriously wonder how many of these parents did this because they wanted their kids to have a better college education than they had earned versus how many were just trying to maintain their own reputation among their peers and followers.  Huffman has some kind of "Mom" community / store that she mentions in every other tweet she makes.  

• Like 5

Jack Buckingham, the teenaged son of school cheating mom Jane Buckingham, just posted an apology and claimed he didn't know anything about it.  But his mother is accused of hiring a proctor to take the ACT test instead of Jack.  How did he not know that somebody took the ACT for him?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-marketing-execs-influencer-daughter-breaks-silence-college-cheating-scam-1194678

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Jack Buckingham, the teenaged son of school cheating mom Jane Buckingham, just posted an apology and claimed he didn't know anything about it.  But his mother is accused of hiring a proctor to take the ACT test instead of Jack.  How did he not know that somebody took the ACT for him?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-marketing-execs-influencer-daughter-breaks-silence-college-cheating-scam-1194678

It says that she wanted to administer the test to him so that he thought he took it so perhaps they did that.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

From what I can tell the guy who ran the scheme controlled the test site so the person who administered the test worked for him. So both the proctor and the student take the test at the same time so the kids never know that their score was not real. 

In this case it was slightly more complicated because Buckingham got sick just before the test. Here’s the section from the affidavit. 

37. In a call on or about July 12, 2018, BUCKINGHAM advised CW-1, in substance, that her son had developed tonsillitis and that his doctor had advised against allowing him to travel. BUCKINGHAM asked CW-1 whether it would be possible for her to obtain a copy of the exam that she could have her son take at home—so that he would believe he had taken the test—while CW-2 took the actual exam on his behalf in Houston. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 3

47 minutes ago, Dani said:

From what I can tell the guy who ran the scheme controlled the test site so the person who administered the test worked for him. So both the proctor and the student take the test at the same time so the kids never know that their score was not real. 

In this case it was slightly more complicated because Buckingham got sick just before the test. Here’s the section from the affidavit. 

37. In a call on or about July 12, 2018, BUCKINGHAM advised CW-1, in substance, that her son had developed tonsillitis and that his doctor had advised against allowing him to travel. BUCKINGHAM asked CW-1 whether it would be possible for her to obtain a copy of the exam that she could have her son take at home—so that he would believe he had taken the test—while CW-2 took the actual exam on his behalf in Houston. 

Oh, that poor kid. Now he's dragged into this mess, because of his mother.

I need to find some good stories. I've had enough of the "hold my beer" people. 

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Wow, that’s a lot of sponsors.  I wonder how much she was earning at the time that all of this fraud went down.  It may be a vapid career that disappears when the next big thing comes along, but at least at the moment of school applications, she had a business, was enjoying it, and was probably earning enough to support herself.   Plenty of kids take a gap year even. Aunt Becky and Mossimo could have said, “you can do this for 1 more year but then we have a sit-down to discuss college.”   It just makes no sense for her parents to have forced her to go to college under those circumstances and way less sense than that to cheat her way into a top school.  If necessary, she could have gone to school 3, 5, 10 years from now.  Now her parents have possibly/ probably ruined her business and her reputation.  SMH.

That's the part that bothers me so much about it. Yes, Olivia should have probably said, "No, I'm not going to college." But her parents also should have realized that college was not in the cards for this girl, at least not an elite college. Hell, the dad is a fashion designer and she likes beauty stufff...they could have had her work with him.

She could have gone to a Cal State school or something a few years down the line and I bet she would have been fine. In this case, her parents have pretty much ruined her career aspirations. As you say, it is an incredibly fickle market and her brand is now poisoned. It just seems like such a waste all around.

I give it a year, max, before Hallmark hires Loughlin back.

Nah, I think she's done. Hallmark has so many "lead" actresses in their stable that it won't take much to replace her with someone who maintains the squeaky clean image. Her going barely leaves a ripple in the vast ocean of Hallmark shows.

I agree with the sentiment that Lori regretted not going to college and she pushed this on her daughters to live vicariously through them. I still remember the interview where she talked with glee about how much her daughter Isabella loved being a sorority girl.

I mean, Penn State survived Jerry Sandusky and this isn't nearly on that level, so USC should be fine, but wow, what a nightmare. I wonder if this will go all the up to the president resigning.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

And I doubt any other college is going to admit them at this point.

They might as well just do homeschooling or go to school online.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Like 3

All/most all of the articles about the college admissions cheating scandal say that Lori Loughlin became famous playing the Tanner girls’ eventual Aunt Becky, who co-hosted Danny Tanner’s onscreen local TV talk show & later married Danny’s brother-in-law & the girls’ uncle on their mom’s side, Jesse Katsopolis, on Full House. But I first heard of her when she was the first actress (1980-83) to play the character of Jody Travis, a teenager & dancer/aspiring dancer, in The Edge of Night, a daytime drama that aired on CBS then moved to ABC (which is when Lori was on it).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

That's a little bit misleading. The article says the video in which she talks about her dad was posted a few days before the charges came about. She said he never enrolled in college, and in fact says her parents wanted her to go to college because she never went.

“He didn’t come from a lot so it’s cool to see that he built it all himself,” she said. “He, like, built his whole entire brand and he wasn’t actually, like, I don’t know if I’m supposed to say this, ever enrolled in college. But he, like, faked his way through it and then he started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought was going to college. That’s, like, such a different time. I don’t know if I was supposed to say that, but it’s okay.”

I read the article hoping for some juicy family drama. But that headline is as click-baity as click-baity gets.

• Like 16

“He didn’t come from a lot so it’s cool to see that he built it all himself,” she said. “He, like, built his whole entire brand and he wasn’t actually, like, I don’t know if I’m supposed to say this, ever enrolled in college. But he, like, faked his way through it and then he started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought was going to college. That’s, like, such a different time. I don’t know if I was supposed to say that, but it’s okay.”

Ugh.  All of the "like, like, like"  makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

12 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Ugh.  All of the "like, like, like"  makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

LMAO!  Do you know that my crazy ass actually counted how many times she said 'like'?  Like, 4 times!

I'll just leave now.

*scurries out*

• Like 7
  • Laugh 10

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.