Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I guess this a UO but I thought that Rob Lowe did a pretty good job.  It was fucking Snow White with that awful voice that was a trainwreck.  I think if they'd had a woman with a better voice, it would have worked. 

• Like 1

I don’t get the conceit at all. What does Snow White have to do with anything?

Tom Hanks was so over it before it even began. But man, Cyd Charisse still had those legs at 67. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I guess this a UO but I thought that Rob Lowe did a pretty good job.  It was fucking Snow White with that awful voice that was a trainwreck.  I think if they'd had a woman with a better voice, it would have worked. 

That wasn't her real voice. She was probably directed to talk like that so she'd sound like what they thought Snow White sounded like in the Disney movie. Disney ended up suing after that opening number because nobody got permission from them to use the character. There are a couple videos on YouTube of Eileen Bowman speaking in her regular voice along with another one where she's singing and neither voice resembles that awful one that was used for the Snow White character that year. It looks like that disaster ruined her career since she was only 22 at the time and thought it would be a break for her. I read up about the whole incident and what happened afterwards yesterday. I don't think I was watching the Oscars yet when it all happened in 1989. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 13

That's an interesting story about Snow White.  Too bad for her that she had to talk and sing in that voice.  

• Like 4

It should also be noted that they used the character of Snow White without even asking Disney and Disney let them know that this was a big no no! Also,the debacle  proved to be a major emotional and career set back for the producer Allan Carr (of Grease fame). Yet, Rob Lowe has said that Lucille Ball (who made her last public appearance on these Oscars less than a month before her death) actually congratulated him for his efforts here. Go figure! 

• Like 4

The character of Snow White, like all fairy tale characters, is public domain. What Disney can sue over is the particular presentation--the iconic clothing, for example. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

The Snow White thing was silly, but I don’t know why it’s still an issue after all these years.

I don’t think anyone think it’s an issue, it’s just a clip of a hilarious misguided and ridiculous Oscar moment.

• Like 10

12 HOURS AGO, ANNBER03 SAID:

I have not heard about this Rob Lowe/Snow White thing. Do tell!

It’s long and excruciating! 

What... was... that? I skipped a lot and still. WOW. People make fun of Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia but Rob Lowe's singing in that clip? Woof. How could you do that number in front of Gregory Hines? I don't think Eileen Bowman is that terrible as Snow White. It's a decent approximation of the voice and she sticks to it pretty well. Basically, they did what they asked her to do. But other than being a poorly conceived number with clumsy replacement lyrics for very random song choices, it exemplifies what I mean about it being hard to do a TV show of a stage production about movies. First of all, it's hard to represent the movies on stage which is why they get lazy and just do montages/video packages. The host is usually either a stand up or a theater person because those are crafts you ply on stage, not in the movies, and it's a stage show. Then you have the problem of how to film said stage show and you lose most of the wonder of the show being put on for the audience in that theater as the camera cuts around pulling back, doing close ups, with no rhyme or reason. It's not shot like a movie or a filmed version of a stage production. It's shot like TV by people who seem overwhelmed by the prospect of catching everything and unsure where to focus. It's messy when we want the illusion of perfection that good movies give us. 

Excerpts from an old article I found...

And 17 Hollywood heavyweights -- among them Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Julie Andrews and Billy Wilder -- signed an open letter deriding the telecast as "an embarrassment to both the Academy and the entire motion picture industry."

I rehearsed for a week and a half. It was my first AFTRA job, and I was paid scale, $350 a week. They brought Rob Lowe in to be my Prince Charming. He was wonderful. He could see where things were headed at the dress rehearsal and took me aside and warned: "You need to be careful. There are sharks in the water, and you have to be really careful who you work with after this." He had never sung before and was kind of insecure about that, so we bonded.

Our rehearsals were on the Fox lot, and they were closed. I mean, like Fort Knox. And the producers knew exactly what they had in me. I wasn't asking questions. They came up to me daily and said, "You should be paying us for this."

I remember Bob Mackie said, "Why am I making a Snow White outfit?" I fainted once during a fitting because I hadn't eaten. I woke up, and Bob was going, "Honey, are you all right?" He gave me juice. My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

I was told not to go to Robin Williams in the audience because God knows what he would do. But running down that aisle, all I could see were the back of heads, and I was thinking, "I'll just go to Kevin Kline!" But they were sitting one row apart, and I accidentally went up to Robin. I was like: "Abort! Abort!" Martin Landau grabbed my hand with both of his, and he just looked at me; he was precious. Tom Hanks was wonderful. 

I went home to my own bed in San Diego and woke up to a lawyer at my door at 8 o'clock in the morning with a folder full of papers that I had to sign. One of those was the gag order. I thought I had done something wrong, so I was scared not to do what they asked of me. I signed a piece of paper saying 13 years -- I don't know why that was the number they chose.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-rob-lowes-snow-white-422225

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

O.M.G.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I gotta agree.   I've heard for years about how horrible it was.   But other than snow white's squeaky voice, the weird dancing tables and it was tooooo long, it was not bad.   Seeing old Hollywood honored brought tears to my eyes.   Catching Robin Williams and Greg Hines in the audience broke my heart.   

Honestly watch it with the sound off and play catch the star 40 years ago.   RDJ was there.  Tom Hanks (looks the same dammit).   Sigourney Weaver.   Sooo many.

25 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I was told not to go to Robin Williams in the audience because God knows what he would do. But running down that aisle, all I could see were the back of heads, and I was thinking, "I'll just go to Kevin Kline!" But they were sitting one row apart, and I accidentally went up to Robin. I was like: "Abort! Abort!"

Cracking up at this.   Poor thing.   Fortunately Robin behaved himself.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Honestly watch it with the sound off and play catch the star 40 years ago.   RDJ was there.  Tom Hanks (looks the same dammit).   Sigourney Weaver.   Sooo many.

Do you mean that we play catch the star 40 years ago or that they highlighted actors who were popular 40 years prior to these Oscars? Because if it's the first, this was 29 years ago.

33 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Catching Robin Williams and Greg Hines in the audience broke my heart.   

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.  It broke my heart too.

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I remember Bob Mackie said, "Why am I making a Snow White outfit?" I fainted once during a fitting because I hadn't eaten. I woke up, and Bob was going, "Honey, are you all right?" He gave me juice. My dress was bought for $23,000 by someone involved with the production who was buried in it. It was a man. I'm leaving it at that.

Is it safe to assume Alan Carr is wearing a Snow White costume right now?

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

While I certainly don't feel there's any need to exhume his remains to prove or disprove this theory (even for Celebrity News), it wouldn't come as a total surprise to me if that was the case!  After all, Snow White seemed to bury his career. . .

• Like 5

It looks like the backlash to the Ellen interview led to Hart deciding not to host----again

And not to go retread but I think Don Lemon had a pretty great piece on CNN last night about why people are not willing to just let the comments go.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Catching Robin Williams and Greg Hines in the audience broke my heart.   

Same. I actually went, "Aw..." when I saw Robin.

Tom Hanks (looks the same dammit).  

Right? Guy's got a fountain of youth stored away somewhere. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I guess it was because Rob was the famous one so he was considered the easier target and more fun to rip apart. 

• Like 4

On 1/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, merylinkid said:

It was o nly 29 years ago????   I thought it was longer ago.   So okay play catch the star as they looked almost 30 years ago.

Yeah, it was March of 1989. I was born in February of 1989. Don't make me feel older than I already do. ;) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, UYI said:

Yeah, it was March of 1989. I was born in February of 1989. Don't make me feel older than I already do. ;) 

Just wait until you hit 40. Or 45.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Right? Guy's got a fountain of youth stored away somewhere. 

Maybe ‘The Green Mile’ was a true story 

• Like 6

I'm wondering if Jennifer Lawrence was asked to host but turned it down? She did a very good job of guest hosting for Jimmy Kimmel over a year ago.

Really, at this point, they should just ask Billy Crystal or Whoopi or Steve Martin, people who have done it before and have proven that they know how it's done (unless THEY all turned it down this time, too). 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Wait'll you try talking about fave shows, movies and celebs from your teens to folks under 25- and they look at you as though you're talking in hieroglyphics!  It'll happen sooner than you think- trust me!  And any celeb over a certain age will verify this (to keep this topical). 

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Wait'll you try talking about fave shows, movies and celebs from your teens to folks under 25- and they look at you as though you're talking in hieroglyphics!  It'll happen sooner than you think- trust me!  And any celeb over a certain age will verify this (to keep this topical). 

Oh, it's already happened, especially since I actually LIKE black and white TV shows! The HORROR!

Hell, I love Carol Burnett, and her show was in color! I'm SO happy she's been honored at the GGs tonight! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Hee! My brother's kids tend to watch only streaming services, so when my eight year old nephew was at his grandma's they watched regular television and he did not know what commercials were.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, god, I've already had that conversation a few times. I'll catch myself being like, "When I was a kid back in the '90s..." and inwardly cringing :p. 

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Oh, it's already happened, especially since I actually LIKE black and white TV shows! The HORROR!

Hell, I love Carol Burnett, and her show was in color! I'm SO happy she's been honored at the GGs tonight! 

Same. My parents raised me on a ton of shows from the '50s, '60s, and '70s. I remember Nick at Nite being on constantly when I was little. Nowadays I'll watch stuff on MeTV or the Decades channel sometimes. And I like black and white shows (and movies), too. You've got the classic "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", and there were other good shows from that era of TV as well. 

As for Carol Burnett, I caught her speech at the Globes tonight. It was lovely. She's a national treasure. 

• Like 11

On 1/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, MissAlmond said:

I only tune in live for the In Memoriam which usually just ticks me off because the Oscar's are terrible at honoring their own people.  God forbid you retired and then lived a long life. Even with previous Oscar wins, chances are the current Academy members have no recollection and you will be skipped.  TCM Remembers still outclasses them by miles.  

I wish the Academy would just replace their sequence with the far superior TCM Remembers.

The worst effect that the Oscars have on my life is that every goddamned year I have to suffer through 31 Days of Oscar on TCM.  They suspend all the fun things like the Saturday morning serial and Western, the Turner Underground exploitation films, the social history theme nights, Star of the Month, the midweek pre-codes, the Silent Sunday nights, the TCM Import foreign films - and it's 31 solid days of all the warhorses like Giant and Mildred Pierce  that everybody has seen a hundred times already.

I do wish SyFy or somebody would broadcast the Technical Oscars that the Academy thinks are so dull.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I wish the Academy would just replace their sequence with the far superior TCM Remembers.

The Oscar's made things even worse when they decided someone famous had to do the tribute song. Even more time that could have been used to pay respect is wasted on close ups of the performer(s).  

• Like 4

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, Tanichka said:

The Snow White thing was silly, but I don’t know why it’s still an issue after all these years.

It was offered as an example of what happened at the Oscars when they didn't have a host.

15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Hee! My brother's kids tend to watch only streaming services, so when my eight year old nephew was at his grandma's they watched regular television and he did not know what commercials were.

Oh man, now you've made me feel really old. Let me return the favor.

• Like 3

I either didn’t know, or didn’t remember, that Sandra oh was hosting the golden globes?? I’ve just seen the opener. a) she looked amazing, as always, and I love her.  b) what she said at the end, made me cry a bit. 

I don’t know her co-host, but he was funny, too. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It was offered as an example of what happened at the Oscars when they didn't have a host.

Correct.  I used it as an example why not having a host isn't considered although it really was when the Academy went with multiple hosts.  It might have been years ago, but the Academy hasn't forgotten. A  Deadline article from just this year  https://deadline.com/2019/01/oscars-host-uncertainty-late-announcement-movie-academy-options-1202528412/  

One last stab at a show without the concept of one or the rare pair of hosts was tried in the infamous 1989 show produced by Allan Carr (yes. the one with Rob Lowe and Snow White together for the first — and last — time). That disaster officially ended the practice of multiple hosts and friends of Oscar for three decades.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Picture It. Sicily said:

You didn't hear it from me.  LOL

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anela said:

I either didn’t know, or didn’t remember, that Sandra oh was hosting the golden globes?? I’ve just seen the opener. a) she looked amazing, as always, and I love her.  b) what she said at the end, made me cry a bit. 

I don’t know her co-host, but he was funny, too.

Andy Samberg. He’s part of the musical group The Lonely Island; he was in SNL, where he won an Emmy for Best Original Song & the group is credited with popularizing the SNL Digital Shorts; he’s currently in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which used to be on Fox & moves to NBC this month (sooner rather than later; they’ve been running promos for the return recently), & he won a Golden Globe for Best Actor—Television Series Musical or Comedy for his role in that show when it aired on Fox.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To change punctuation and multiple usages of a word.
  • Like 4

Multiple news sources reported earlier today that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (aka “The Notorious RBG”) missed hearing arguments at the Court today for the first time in 25 years, or possibly longer. She’s still at home recuperating from recent lung cancer surgery & is still working from there (I wonder if they could install something so she could participate in hearing the arguments by phone or something—or is that some kind of violation of privacy of those with cases being heard before the Court, or something?).

• Like 2

Late to the party, but just watched the Snow White video....oy.  I didn't see it when it came out in '89 and perhaps it is good that I didn't. 

Outside of seeing the wonderful Cyd Charrisse, who STILL had legs for days, most of that was cringe-worthy.

• Like 8

Has anyone else heard about this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6567175/Melissa-Joan-Hart-denies-anti-Semitic-remarks-insisting-never-said-Christians-superior.html

I knew Melissa Joan Hart was an evangelical Christian but yesh. Did she lead her six year old to believe that only Christians were good people? Or that Christians were the automatically trust worthy and everyone else had to be questioned? 

I understand small children can have lots of questions about things, and say things in a way that wouldn’t be “polite”, not understanding nuance etc and possibly hurting the feelings of another child (unintentionally) but why would adults become heated over the misunderstanding of a child (if that’s what happened). Just wow  

• Like 1

GMA reported this morning about Justice Ginsburg missing Supreme Court arguments for the first time in 25 years. They said she is participating remotely, which is something I’d wondered about yesterday.

• Like 1

I'm so tired of reading, hearing and seeing celeb "news" stories about Beyonce going to shop at a damn Target. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6567175/Melissa-Joan-Hart-denies-anti-Semitic-remarks-insisting-never-said-Christians-superior.html

I knew Melissa Joan Hart was an evangelical Christian but yesh. Did she lead her six year old to believe that only Christians were good people? Or that Christians were the automatically trust worthy and everyone else had to be questioned? 

I understand small children can have lots of questions about things, and say things in a way that wouldn’t be “polite”, not understanding nuance etc and possibly hurting the feelings of another child (unintentionally) but why would adults become heated over the misunderstanding of a child (if that’s what happened). Just wow  

WTF?! O_O

That's pretty messed up to say the least.

49 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm so tired of reading, hearing and seeing celeb "news" stories about Beyonce going to shop at a damn Target. 

I've been sick and tired of those for years now.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Isn’t it sort of the basic premise of most organized religions though “we’re right and everyone else is going to hell”

• Like 5

On 1/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, UYI said:

So Pete Davidson and Kate Beckinsale were seen looking "cozy"*, as one of the gossip rags might say whenever they spot a potential new couple, at the GGs last night:

https://people.com/tv/pete-davidson-spotted-chatting-kate-beckinsale-globes-afterparty/

*You can't say I don't know my lingo for celebrity gossip/rumors! 

Jeez, Kate Beckinsale is 20 years older than Pete.

1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

I like younger men too, so....;)

But I'm only about to turn 30 so I guess my gaps aren't so bad, lol. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That doesn't bother me, as long as men her age, are still doing the same thing with much younger women. 

• Like 17

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.