Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

white pop artists go urban as signal to let us all know their "rebelling" but Miley and Justin Bieber are the two most offensive offenders I can think of.

And then there are artists like Justin Timberlake who've been working that Blue-Eyed Soul thing for a couple of decades but as soon as the social winds seemed to be changing he tries to cross back over with Man of the Woods (the worst scoring pop album of the year according to Metacritic) and wearing flannel shirts, camo pants, and trucker hats. Somewhere I hope Janet (Miss Jackson if you're nasty, and a 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee) is having a laugh at his sorry attempt at pandering to people who've likely never been his fans.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And then there are artists like Justin Timberlake who've been working that Blue-Eyed Soul thing for a couple of decades but as soon as the social winds seemed to be changing he tries to cross back over with Man of the Woods (the worst scoring pop album of the year according to Metacritic) and wearing flannel shirts, camo pants, and trucker hats.

Yes! He bugs too. Say what you will about Britney but she's the only one who has stayed true to her sound from beginning to end. She's always been a little bit of dance, pop, with a touch of R&B. She doesn't try to change her sound every album (unlike Christina). She just does her, whether it sells or not. I kind of appreciate that.

ETA:  One of my favorite Britney songs. It borrows from R&B but is still quintessential Britney:

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 13

On 12/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Admittedly I'm a fan of P!nk's so I may be biased but I don't think that summation is fair. For starters, P!nk never catered to a Hip Hop audience. I think there's some confusion and mixing up of musical genres here. Her first album was more in the Pop/R&B vein that was similar to what  Destiny's Child,  TLC, etc. were doing. And yes, that was largely the doing of L.A. Reid, her label head who thought it would make her stand out against the Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera of the time. 

And while she's admitted it wasn't her first choice, she's one, never turned around and denigrated the genre and sound like one Miley did. Two, P!nk continues to perform her biggest hits from that album to this day, so it's not like she acts like it never happened. Three, while the sound wasn't her first choice, it wasn't entirely fake and manufactured a la Miley because L.A. discovered P!nk when she was singing in a R&B influenced girl group. She was legitimately influenced by groups like TLC. And finally, P!nk didn't truly become famous off that first album. 

Yeah she had some strong success but her breakout was her second album with hits like Get This Party Started and that album was solidly Pop/Rock which is the sound she's been doing since. As someone noted above, the problem with Miley wasn't just the appropriation and offensive behavior but that as soon as she decided that little phase had served its purpose, she turned around and started slagging off the entire genre, calling out all the offensive elements, as if she didn't do her part in perpetuating every one of those offensive stereotypes.

Thank you!!! P!nk is a really bad example of using “black” music for her on gain and dumping it when she was done. She’s not in same league as Miley in that regard. I’m also a huge P!nk fan, too.

Edited by PepSinger · Reason: Molly is not Miley
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Thank you!!! P!nk is a really bad example of using “black” music for her on gain and dumping it when she was done. She’s not in same league as Molly in that regard. I’m also a huge P!nk fan, too.

Who is Molly?  

26 minutes ago, Talky Tina said:

Who is Molly?  

It's a typo; they meant Miley (although, given her onetime fondness for "molly"--a form of ecstasy--I guess it could also be a Freudian slip, lol). 

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

And then there are artists like Justin Timberlake who've been working that Blue-Eyed Soul thing for a couple of decades but as soon as the social winds seemed to be changing he tries to cross back over with Man of the Woods (the worst scoring pop album of the year according to Metacritic) and wearing flannel shirts, camo pants, and trucker hats. Somewhere I hope Janet (Miss Jackson if you're nasty, and a 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee) is having a laugh at his sorry attempt at pandering to people who've likely never been his fans.

I'm not going to dive into the cultural appropriation issue, and I'm not a fan of Justin Timberlake, but I wouldn't criticize him, or any other performer, for exploring different sounds and images over the years.  Many, many artists do this; hell, some artists change radically with every new album.  Now, his attempt might be an extremely unsuccessful one, but that doesn't mean he should just stay in his box if he doesn't want to do so.  After all, people have the right to not buy his music if they don't like it.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not going to dive into the cultural appropriation issue, and I'm not a fan of Justin Timberlake, but I wouldn't criticize him, or any other performer, for exploring different sounds and images over the years.  Many, many artists do this; hell, some artists change radically with every new album.  Now, his attempt might be an extremely unsuccessful one, but that doesn't mean he should just stay in his box if he doesn't want to do so.  After all, people have the right to not buy his music if they don't like it.

^^^^^Have to agree.  Whether or not people like him, he’s very talented.  Cultural appropriation?  What, you’re not allowed to interpret different types of music?  I call BS on that one.

• Like 7

Justin Timberlake's last album has multiple Timbaland and Neptunes-produced tracks and several are in the same vein of pop/R&B that Justin's done for years. I saw someone describe it as an evolution of Justified and from what I remember of it, that sounds about right. He did do a song with Chris Stapleton but their friendship predates the latter's fame, they've done sets together in comcert and Justin helped launch him into country music stardom. The line "sometimes the greatest way to say something is to say nothing at all" got slammed in the era of #MeToo, but I felt it was directed at the singer himself for being someone always putting his foot in his mouth and saying the wrong thing. Something I feel Justin has a lot of experience with...

Anyway, the Man of the Woods album title was apparently a tribute to JT's son Silas, which means "of the forest". A nice gesture, but he really needed friends to talk him out of the lumberjack imaging (because no one was going to buy it from him, plus it wasn't a good representation of the album as a whole), or doing the Super Bowl halftime show. Too much bad feeling about Janet Jackson from before, and then the Prince "hologram" business when they were clearly not friends in life. Sure, the same people mad about the so-called hologram also would have destroyed him for "ignoring Prince" during a Minneapolis Super Bowl, but that is just another sign he should have skipped that Super Bowl entirely. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think most rational folk are aware that  the idea of someone exploring a new genre doesn't necessarily fall under the umbrella of cultural appropriation.  It isn't an all or nothing game.  As a matter of fact there are a lot of out-of-genre artists over the years who had dabbled in other genres and nobody has raised a brow, even loving some of the results.  Using R&B as an example artists such as Phil Collins, Lisa Stansfield, David Bowie, Dusty Springfield, most of the British bands from the 60s & 70s, Michael McDonald just to name a few have all been enthusiastically received.  Hell, Luther Vandross singlehandedly made Burt Bacharach seem like an R&B songwriter.   Also, that doesn't include white R&B mainstays like Hall & Oates, Teena Marie, Robin Thicke and Amy Winehouse.  I would venture to say that as a genre R&B is very welcoming of all voices.  People can tell when something is truly authentic and when something in the milk ain't clean.

ETA:  In regards Justin Timberlake I do think of him -- in his solo career -- as primarily an R&B artist, albeit one who bit very, very hard on Michael Jackson's sound.  His problem, imo, isn't that he is a cultural appropriater but that he alienated a lot of his R&B fanbase with his behavior in the aftermath of the Janet Jackson debacle.  And his 'Man In The Woods' thing, being so closely associated with the Superbowl which in turn is so closely associated with Janet Jackson is interpreted as him trying to distance himself from that whole incident and the music associated with it.  It was just a bad PR move all around every single way you want to look at it.  Nothing to do with cultural appropriation but a lot to do with how not to handle an already alienated fanbase and the things those fans hold dear.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Like 20

On 12/30/2018 at 3:22 PM, Silver Raven said:

Wow dude... way to be classy. Not. Been to some good Chinese restaurants in the midwest. Way to paint everyone with the same brush.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think most rational folk are aware that  the idea of someone exploring a new genre doesn't necessarily fall under the umbrella of cultural appropriation.  It isn't an all or nothing game.  As a matter of fact there are a lot of out-of-genre artists over the years who had dabbled in other genres and nobody has raised a brow, even loving some of the results.  Using R&B as an example artists such as Phil Collins, Lisa Stansfield, David Bowie, Dusty Springfield, most of the British bands from the 60s & 70s, Michael McDonald just to name a few have all been enthusiastically received.  Hell, Luther Vandross singlehandedly made Burt Bacharach seem like an R&B songwriter.   Also, that doesn't include white R&B mainstays like Hall & Oates, Teena Marie, Robin Thicke and Amy Winehouse.  I would venture to say that as a genre R&B is very welcoming of all voices.  People can tell when something is truly authentic and when something in the milk ain't clean.

I agree with all of this.  I'm old enough to remember how successful Ray Charles was singing country and western music, especially "I Can't Stop Loving You."  My mom wore that album out, lol.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think most rational folk are aware that  the idea of someone exploring a new genre doesn't necessarily fall under the umbrella of cultural appropriation. 

I think the key word here is "rational". Too many SJWs around just waiting for something to be offended about so that they can start screaming "cultural appropriation"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Wow dude... way to be classy. Not. Been to some good Chinese restaurants in the midwest. Way to paint everyone with the same brush.

I have to admit having rather mixed feelings about this.

Yes, Mr. Zimmern was unfair to refuse to consider that there ARE good Chinese restaurants in the Midwest instead of just saying that his own new restaurant could be worth trying out- and he deserved to be called out for the it and the tacky verbage. One CAN promote oneself without insulting others (and especially entire communities). 

However; I'm sad that the Travel Channel has  totally dropped the concept of seeking out new cuisines and going to new places- in favor of becoming Spook Central!  What's sad is that even if Mr. Zimmern is gone they don't seem to be seeking out  folks interested in actual non-spooky travels. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I have to admit having rather mixed feelings about this.

Yes, Mr. Zimmern was unfair to refuse to consider that there ARE good Chinese restaurants in the Midwest instead of just saying that his own new restaurant could be worth trying out- and he deserved to be called out for the it and the tacky verbage. One CAN promote oneself without insulting others (and especially entire communities). 

However; I'm sad that the Travel Channel has  totally dropped the concept of seeking out new cuisines and going to new places- in favor of becoming Spook Central!  What's sad is that even if Mr. Zimmern is gone they don't seem to be seeking out  folks interested in actual non-spooky travels. 

I agree with you on that. Anthony Bourdain did something similar (not in terms of promoting himself), but just saying that he liked authentic Chinese food better, without insulting others for liking what the restaurants offer in general. 

I am too, it's too bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GaT said:
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think most rational folk are aware that  the idea of someone exploring a new genre doesn't necessarily fall under the umbrella of cultural appropriation. 

I think the key word here is "rational". Too many SJWs around just waiting for something to be offended about so that they can start screaming "cultural appropriation"

Thank you!  Everyone is searching desperately for things that they perceive as offensive.  Get a life, folks.  There are so many things that are genuinely offensive.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

but just saying that he liked authentic Chinese food better, without insulting others for liking what the restaurants offer in general. 

Bourdain was frequently much more dismissive of things than what Zimmern said and has been very insulting to a lot of people and their likes. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Bourdain was frequently much more dismissive of things than what Zimmern said and has been very insulting to a lot of people and their likes. 

Yes he was at times. But at least he learned and grew. Not sure what I can say in that regard in terms of Zimmern.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Yes he was at times. But at least he learned and grew. Not sure what I can say in that regard in terms of Zimmern.

He was dismissive in his last season of things he didn’t agree with or like and even more so on twitter and in interviews so I don’t agree that that was a part of his personality that changed at all.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He was dismissive in his last season of things he didn’t agree with or like and even more so on twitter and in interviews so I don’t agree that that was a part of his personality that changed at all.

Fair point. But there's a difference to a point between how he handled it and how Zimmern acted. Zimmern crossed a line. That said, I don't excuse either of them for what they said that was that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Zimmern is local.  Pretty much as soon as those comments came out he was on our local TV doing interviews and apologetic about how flippant he was and that he insulted the Chinese-American community.  Here's one of the interviews.  Now, people can argue (and have argued) whether or not he's sincere or if his apology goes far enough but given that Bourdain was allegedly blind to the sexual harassment in his industry while accusing people (usually women) of being complicit in not exposing Weinstein while he was arranging to pay off his own girlfriend's accuser, I feel comfortable saying that, at the bare minimum, Zimmern's at least as self-aware as Bourdain.

It's a little weird that this happened a month after his comments came out, though.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It's a little weird that this happened a month after his comments came out, though.

Unless I'm reading the linked article wrong (or it is wrong to begin with, and, being Page Six, that's certainly possible, but there's a direct quote from a network exec), his disparaging comment and the rescheduling on Travel Channel are unrelated -- before he said it, Travel Channel had decided to kick his shows and other food shows on the network out of prime time and onto a Saturday morning graveyard slot. 

So, he's been rightly taking heat for what he said, but the scheduling change on one of the three networks on which his shows air isn't part of that (and nothing has happened to his shows on Food Network or Cooking Channel); it predated his comment, and was made as part of an overall decision by that network to ditch food shows in general (relegating them to graveyard timeslots until all unaired episodes already in the can are burned off and then ditching them).

In which case, it would just be Page Six creating a headline.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Shakma said:

Kim and Kanye are expecting their fourth child, via surrogate.

Wonder what they'll name this one

• Like 3

Oh good heavens, because that's what bonkers Kanye needs, another kid.    Kim doesn't need any more living, sentient accessories either.   

Will they claim this one is due at the same time as Duchess Meghan?

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Will they claim this one is due at the same time as Duchess Meghan?

No idea what Meghan has to do with it but the baby is due in May and is a boy.

Madonna may have gotten ginormous butt implants

I had seen a photo of her in the pants & assumed it was padding (& a joke), but then someone pointed me towards the video & yikes, I really hope that it's some kind of prosthetic. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Madonna may have gotten ginormous butt implants

I had seen a photo of her in the pants & assumed it was padding (& a joke), but then someone pointed me towards the video & yikes, I really hope that it's some kind of prosthetic. 

That can't be real, can it?😨

20190103_024410.png

• Like 1

Oh, Madonna.No one wants to see a 60 year old's ass on display, whether it is fake or not. It looks so terrible. I'm so embarrassed for her.

I wish that Madonna and Mariah would realize that they are legends at this point and we don't need them to keep attempting to keep up with the young'ns. Its so sad. 

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 17

19 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I wish that Madonna and Mariah would realize that they are legends at this point and we don't need them to keep attempting to keep up with the young'ns. Its so sad. 

I agree, I loved Madonna back in my days as a teen! I wish she would grow old gracefully, not so much that she walk around in a muu-muu with slippers on, but stop trying to act like you still look like Arianna Grande or Taylor Swift. We age, and no matter how good you look for your age no one wants to see your 50+ year old bare ass! 

• Like 10

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.