Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I just found out via the former celebrity columnists for the Washington Post that Carrie Fisher had a massive heart attack on a plane.

Because it cannot be said enough -- 2016 SUCKS.

Truly hope she comes through okay.

Oh no!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, Quof said:

If it has hit the news, presumably the plane has landed?

Yes, the plane landed (at LAX; the flight was from London to Los Angeles) and she was taken to the hospital, according to multiple sources (including law enforcement).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Calling it "massive" is a bit much.  Pretty sure that isn't a medical term, and if it were, no doctor would be saying it to the press without her consent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Quof said:

Calling it "massive" is a bit much.  Pretty sure that isn't a medical term, and if it were, no doctor would be saying it to the press without her consent.

It could've been a passenger on the plane.

The crew would not have said anything, at the risk of their jobs.

ETA:  Per KABC, the LAFD had to administer CPR.  That's "massive".

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, the fame whore tweeter who tells the whole story, then says it "feels weird" to tweet it. Then says "Please don't contact me with media requests."  Perhaps she could just keep her trap shut.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, roamyn said:

It could've been a passenger on the plane.

The crew would not have said anything, at the risk of their jobs.

ETA:  Per KABC, the LAFD had to administer CPR.  That's "massive".

This article from The Hollywood Reporter says she wasn't breathing for 10 minutes. If true, that brings into play possible brain damage, sad to say.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fisher-suffers-heart-attack-plane-report-959091

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

This article from The Hollywood Reporter says she wasn't breathing for 10 minutes. If true, that brings into play possible brain damage, sad to say.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fisher-suffers-heart-attack-plane-report-959091

If it was ten or more minutes, I dont know if she's going to pull out of it. Most of my family is in healthcare and we've had conversations about CPR and AED's and what to expect the longer you perform it...I'm hoping for the best here but preparin for the worst.

I really hope they used an AED. I'm going to be so bummed if she passes. Leia was a role model for me in an endless sea of males in sci-fi. Damn you 2016, let this one go!

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I really really hope the Hollywood Report got it wrong. We've all seen how stories can be blown up at the beginning or wrong facts can make it to air/internet. I want this to be one of those cases. 2016 has sucked enough!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Yeah, the fame whore tweeter who tells the whole story, then says it "feels weird" to tweet it. Then says "Please don't contact me with media requests."  Perhaps she could just keep her trap shut.

Agree. I am glad people on Twitter are calling her out for it. Also Max Landis tweeted 2 hours ago that she had died. He took it down after people attacked him for it. Max actually started to trend because of it.

All that matters is Carrie pulls through but some folks on Twitter need attention. Sad.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Her brother is reporting she is stable.

I would take the "not breathing for 10 minutes" with a grain of salt.   Time gets distorted in a crisis unless you are trained to check your watch.   Unless a medical professional says it, everything is just guessing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Her brother is reporting she is stable.

I would take the "not breathing for 10 minutes" with a grain of salt.   Time gets distorted in a crisis unless you are trained to check your watch.   Unless a medical professional says it, everything is just guessing.

And here is a link to the Tweet from AP, timestamped 6:57PM Eastern Time, where her brother (Todd Fisher) says she's stable.

https://mobile.twitter.com/APEntertainment/status/812447104689967104?p=v

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 brother (Todd Fisher) says she's stable.

See, she has to stick around, just to comment on the use of that adjective.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad that Carrie Fisher is stable for the moment. Heart attacks are very serious, and she's very lucky right now that it happened near the end of her flight, instead of while they were flying over the ocean. Damn, though. I'm hoping that she's able to recover fully from this. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quof said:

See, she has to stick around, just to comment on the use of that adjective.

Laughs at the irony I didn't catch before. If I remember correctly, she's under treatment for bipolar disorder or some other mental health condition. So, yeah, the use of "stable" to describe her condition would be something she'd probably wanna comment on once she's (hopefully) able. As many others, including some other celebs, have said today (on Twitter), though I know it's probably a cliche (or some better word I can't think of): May the Force be with her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Apparently the media jumped on the out of emergency as "stable" for Carrie Fisher  too quickly according to Variety  out of emergency ment she was stable enough to be moved to ICU and is on a vent per her brother. Nothing has changed. Screw you 2016. I really  hoping she pulls through and jokes about this soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

If it was ten or more minutes, I dont know if she's going to pull out of it. Most of my family is in healthcare and we've had conversations about CPR and AED's and what to expect the longer you perform it...I'm hoping for the best here but preparin for the worst.

I really hope they used an AED. I'm going to be so bummed if she passes. Leia was a role model for me in an endless sea of males in sci-fi. Damn you 2016, let this one go!

I'm from a medical/nursing (& frequent patient) background too. And I'm something of an aviation junkie. If United (the airline she was flying on) uses (probably newer model) Boeing 777's or Boeing 787 Dreamliners between LHR (London Heathrow, the departure airport) & LAX (LA International, the arrival airport)--I don't think United flies Airbus A350s or A380s... Yet--I should hope they'd have had the "deluxe" type of inflight medical kit onboard, because that was an international, long haul, overwater flight, as opposed to the type of medical kit you get on smaller planes that usually fly within the US & can usually divert more quickly for a medical emergency onboard than international flights might be able to. And hopefully that included an AED (I thought I read, at least once, that at least some types of planes would become equipped with AEDs but I'm not positive). Although they were supposedly on approach, 15 minutes away from landing, when it happened. In that case, the Captain might've requested some sort of expedited handling to get them on the ground faster, in addition to requesting medical assistance meet the flight for the passenger (Carrie). The latter was mentioned in at least 1 article, I believe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There's Air Traffic Control audio of the pilot requesting expedited landing because of a medical emergency. Someone on Flyer Talk also noted that the specific flight commonly had 30-60 minutes of taxi and hold for international gate (ie. set up for immigration & customs) access after wheels down at LAX, and the medical request got them a six minute taxi time after wheels down in order to get her to advanced medical care ASAP. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, ilovethedark said:

Apparently the media jumped on the out of emergency as "stable" for Carrie Fisher  too quickly according to Variety  out of emergency ment she was stable enough to be moved to ICU and is on a vent per her brother. Nothing has changed.

Which is exactly what I assumed, since her being out of the emergency room was attributed to her brother as a direct quote, but "stable condition" seemed to be incorrectly extrapolated from "stabilized" (for transfer).  It's sad to be right, but I just knew that was being misstated.  He told CNN via phone earlier this evening that she's in ICU.

45 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

If United (the airline she was flying on) uses (probably newer model) Boeing 777's or Boeing 787 Dreamliners between LHR (London Heathrow, the departure airport) & LAX (LA International, the arrival airport)

Yes, it was a 777. 

As for AEDs, the FAA started requiring US airlines to carry AEDs on many/most commercial flights over ten years ago (it depends on the size, number of passengers and flight attendants, etc.), but regulations are spotty worldwide.  That the CAA (UK equivalent) doesn't require them was an issue a year or so ago following a passenger's death; I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

30-60 taxi time.  Ugh.   As someone who is slightly claustrophobic I would be freaked out.   I'm fine while the plane is in the air, but once it is wheels down, I need OFF.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

30-60 taxi time.  Ugh.   As someone who is slightly claustrophobic I would be freaked out.   I'm fine while the plane is in the air, but once it is wheels down, I need OFF.   

LAX runways are being remodeled, causing enormous delays.

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, UYI said:

She and Jack are still together. I don't know what happened to actually getting married, but they are still living together. 

i actually meant wondering about the band having broken up.  :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Alan Thicke was stable enough to be joking with the EMTs.

If Carrie wasn't able to communicate with them, that probably isn't good.

My thoughts are with her family.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

 IF the initial report is true it doesn't look like she will survive.  That being, the medic (passenger) on plane gave her CPR for 15 minutes but never got a pulse. Emergency vehicle put her on a respirator.  Reports of her being critical then stable. Well which?  

My guess is that she is on life support and possibly brain damaged from lack of oxygen.  Often family keeps details out of the press so they can deal with the situation privately before having to face the public.  

Had she been home and in bed she probably would have been the story many of us desire.  I know I have said, I want to die in my sleep from a heart attack.  We all want death to take us quickly without suffering.  A nightmare of mine is western medicine trying to save me when my body and soul are saying, hey I am out of here, leave me alone!  

Edited by wings707
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Debbie Reynolds gave us an update today on Carrie's condition:

https://twitter.com/DebbieReynolds1

That's so sad. I mean, if Miss Reynolds isn't able to find something more positive to report about her daughter's condition, it just doesn't sound good at this time. For the entire Reynolds, Fisher and Lourd families, I pray that there's an improvement soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

You can still be critical, yet stable.

My SIL is a nurse/medic in the Navy.  Stable means there isn't any dramatic changes to her system, good or bad.

He guesses the doctors will order scans & bloodwork to be done this week.  Due to the holidays, there is usually only so much staff to handle tests, and those go to emergency situations.  Carrie's stable and on life support (respirator), so no need to do scans this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post

I can't believe George Michael died. I must have played Last Christmas at least 15x over the Holidays. That was always a favorite Christmas song of mine.

53 is just too young. May he rest in peace.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I can't believe George Michael died. I must have played Last Christmas at least 15x over the Holidays. That was always a favorite Christmas song of mine.

53 is just too young. May he rest in peace.

Holy crap, I never saw that coming, by the time 2016 ends there won't be anyone left alive.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Queen too ill to attend Christmas Day church service

The only reason I'm posting this is because the Queen hasn't missed the service since 1988, & 2016 has been a real bitch.

I paid little attention to that archaic monarchy until Dianna entered the picture.  And I give it no attention now. 

Diana touched my heart and I was horrified as to how she was treated by this miserable, black hearted queen.  Maybe her cold will signal a heath decline so she can step down.  

It would be kind of fun to see this stupidity change, even a tiny bit, with a new king. 

Harry's girlfriend has to be schooled in royal manners before she can meet the queen.  Oh good god, run like the wind, girl, and fast. 

Edited by wings707
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Diana had her own issues.   The Queen has a strong sense of duty, no matter how one personally felt.   To her duty was paramount and dealing with someone with a different point of view was a bit bewildering.  

I really don't want Charles as King.   He is entirely too self-indulgent.  

Meghan Markle does not have to be "schooled in royal manners" before she meets the Queen.   The Queen only meets significant others when it is truly a committed relationship.   Think of it this way -- did everyone you dated meet your grandparents?   Of course not.   Well, the same here x 10.   Even Duchess Kate wasn't popping in for tea before she and William got serious.   

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, legaleagle53 said:

On the other hand, Her Majesty has in recent years shown an open-mindedness that is both rare and refreshing in someone of her age and stature. I still remember her response when someone asked her what she thought about the fact that same-sex marriage had finally achieved legal recognition in the UK.  She said that she thought it was "wonderful" and that she was glad to have lived long enough to see it become a reality.  Surely someone with that elastic an attitude can't be all that bad, can she?

 I agree!  Let's not forget that she's seen a GREAT deal of change happen in the almost 65(!) years of rule. I can't help but imagine that having seen the impact of her sister Margaret not getting to marry her true love as well as three of her four children having marriages that broke up (and how all that angst impacted THEIR offspring) likely has gotten her to become more accepting of previously unconventional deals.

 

 As for her current health? Yes, it's a virtual certainty that she was too ill to attend the  Christmas service. However; the REST of her family (including Prince Phillip aged 95  who himself was said to have a 'very  bad cold') did attend which makes me confident that had they truly believed she was on death's door, they would NOT have attended because they would have wanted to make sure they were close at hand- even in this age of Skype and IMs.

 

 As for Prince Charles? No, I do NOT think he or the then Mrs. Parker-Bowles treated the former Lady Diana Spencer fairly during his union with her but they themselves did wait eight years after her death (and 10 after his own divorce from her) for them to wed.  Moreover; despite his early stumbles by ALL accounts (including his very outspoken younger son), he has been a dedicated father to their offspring. What's more he has been a very hands-on patron of literally hundreds of charities trying to help folks of all ages have fairer chances in life.  Yes, he does indeed have his faults and he'll likely suffer athlete's mouth his entire reign but I don't think it would be anywhere as catastrophic as other reigns have been down the centuries even if everyone is looking forward to his SON becoming king. And, yes, I hope Camilla herself becomes Queen NOT 'Princess Consort' upon his reign for I think she HAS been a loyal spouse to him and a good friend to his progeny.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

 

Diana had her own issues.   The Queen has a strong sense of duty, no matter how one personally felt.   To her duty was paramount and dealing with someone with a different point of view was a bit bewildering.  

 

My feeling is the Queen gets that what she does is a job, and it's all about service.  She has understood that since she was a child.  

I don't think Diana really understood what she was getting into.  Also, many people who were like me, in their 20's at the time of the wedding, weren't really into the Royals until Diana, they liked her gown, her haircut, etc.  I think that William explained more to Kate, what the job of being his wife would entail, since he'd seen his mother go through it.  But it's a job and the Queen gets it.  Her job is to make the British people, as well as people of the Commonwealth feel proud.

For years my mom and I would go on the Queen Mary 2, during the Christmas holiday.  Every Christmas, they always show the Queen's speech at noon, in the Queen's Room (and in Golden Lion pub as well).  One time, the captain must have forgotten that her speech was at noon, as he broke in with his announcements.  The folks in the Queen's Room started shouting for him to STFU, and luckily, someone got to the man because he did abruptly STFU.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

As  for Prince Charles? No, I do NOT think he or the then Mrs. Parker-Bowles treated the former Lady Diana Spencer fairly during his union with her but they themselves did wait eight years after her death (and 10 after his own divorce from her) for them to wed.  Moreover; despite his early stumbles by ALL accounts (including his very outspoken younger son), he has been a dedicated father to their offspring. What's more he has been a very hands-on patron of literally hundreds of charities trying to help folks of all ages have fairer chances in life.  Yes, he does indeed have his faults and he'll likely suffer athlete's mouth his entire reign but I don't think it would be anywhere as catastrophic as other reigns have been down the centuries even if everyone is looking forward to his SON becoming king. And, yes, I hope Camilla herself becomes Queen NOT 'Princess Consort' upon his reign for I think she HAS been a loyal spouse to him and a good friend to his progeny.

I think people forget that the tragedy of Charles and Diana played out 20 years ago.  Since then, I've noticed that the British public has most definitely forgiven Charles and Camilla and will most assuredly accept her as Queen.  Charles and Camilla clearly understood their future subjects and knew that marrying too soon after Diana's death would only cement hatred in the minds of loyal Brits everywhere, so they very wisely waited until the wounds from that tragedy had healed and the public had shown it was ready to move on.  Diana will definitely still be "the Queen of Hearts," as she once put it, and neither Camilla nor anyone else will ever take that away from her, but Camilla has earned her own place in the hearts of the British people, and I firmly believe that they will treat her and Charles with the same love and respect that they do to the current Queen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I think people forget that the tragedy of Charles and Diana played out 20 years ago.  Since then, I've noticed that the British public has most definitely forgiven Charles and Camilla and will most assuredly accept her as Queen.  Charles and Camilla clearly understood their future subjects and knew that marrying too soon after Diana's death would only cement hatred in the minds of loyal Brits everywhere, so they very wisely waited until the wounds from that tragedy had healed and the public had shown it was ready to move on.  Diana will definitely still be "the Queen of Hearts," as she once put it, and neither Camilla nor anyone else will ever take that away from her, but Camilla has earned her own place in the hearts of the British people, and I firmly believe that they will treat her and Charles with the same love and respect that they do to the current Queen.

This may be a dumb question, but can Camilla be Queen? I thought I read that legally Charles will become King but Camilla will have a different title. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

24 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

This may be a dumb question, but can Camilla be Queen? I thought I read that legally Charles will become King but Camilla will have a different title. 

The short answer is yes.  Legally, it will be Charles' decision alone as to whether she becomes his Queen or is styled as Princess Consort instead, and his decision will be binding.  The real question is whether he will have enough confidence in the willingness of the British public to accept her as Queen, given that many people apparently still see her as the villain in the Charles-and-Diana drama.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

LOL, I didn't mean to start a discussion on the British monarchy, but I'll just add my 2 cents to it.

10 hours ago, Blergh said:

 As for her current health? Yes, it's a virtual certainty that she was too ill to attend the  Christmas service. However; the REST of her family (including Prince Phillip aged 95  who himself was said to have a 'very  bad cold') did attend which makes me confident that had they truly believed she was on death's door, they would NOT have attended because they would have wanted to make sure they were close at hand- even in this age of Skype and IMs.

 

Like the Queen, the rest of the family knows what their job is, even if she was at "death's door", I think the family would have gone to the service. 

10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think Diana really understood what she was getting into.  Also, many people who were like me, in their 20's at the time of the wedding, weren't really into the Royals until Diana, they liked her gown, her haircut, etc.  I think that William explained more to Kate, what the job of being his wife would entail, since he'd seen his mother go through it.  But it's a job and the Queen gets it.  Her job is to make the British people, as well as people of the Commonwealth feel proud.

 

Diana was born Lady Diana, she was royalty too. Both her grandmothers served as Ladies in Waiting to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, & she had been presented at Court. Diana knew exactly what life as a Royal was. What was different about Diana is that she was the first person to become a member of the royal family in the age of the internet, & the Royal Family had no idea how to handle that. The interest in her was worldwide, because this was the first time everyone could see what she was doing as she was doing it. This is why it took William so long to propose to Kate, he wanted her to really understand what it was like.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Taking the British Royal family talk (although I would argue celebrity status) to small talk.  Well, I would but I can't find it.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Taking the British Royal family talk (although I would argue celebrity status) to small talk.  Well, I would but I can't find it.

You may want to visit the UK Politics thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GaT said:

George Michael Struggled with Weight Before Death Wow, he was unrecognizable, not a doctor, but I'm sure that contributed to his heart failure.

I wondet if he had Congestive Heart Failure?

Both my grandparents had it.  My grandmother got bloated, my grandfather didn't. 

But you can go "peacefully".  My grandfather laid down to take a nap,  and that was it.  My grandmother just gave up, and also went in her sleep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I wondet if he had Congestive Heart Failure?

 

Maybe he was prescribed steroids? I think that's something that people with certain heart problems take, & it really bloats you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size