Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

26 minutes ago, GaT said:

He is handling the whole situation very well. I don't know if that's just the way he is, or if he has someone advising him, but either way, good for him. 

According to my friend who is a huge football fan, it's pretty much the way he is. He just lives his life with a "zero fucks about the bullshit" kind of attitude. 

• Like 4

On 9/8/2016 at 1:43 PM, roseslg said:

What about L'il Kim?   I keed, I keed.  

I have no issues with what those folks do in general, but I think when there are so many issues in the black community about "beauty" and beauty standards in general seeming to lean towards blonde, straight hair and white, it bugs me when I see famous black folks running around with their long blond weaves.   It's hard to overcome what is the norm when the people who are most visible are sporting that look.   

Do you whatever you is, I just don't like what it can represent.   

While I agree that many Black women have blonde hair for superficial reasons, usually temporary, what I judge my fellow sisters on is their character, not their hair color.  For example, when Beyonce' invited the Mothers Of the Movement (the mothers of Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner & Michael Brown) to do cameos in her Lemonade video special and her Super Bowl performance of "Formation" before that, I was impressed because it showed Beyonce' using her talent and her fame to call attention to a very important social issue, which IMO stars should do more often, in responsible ways, like I think she did. 

On 9/8/2016 at 2:00 PM, proserpina65 said:

I have no intention of diminishing your feelings or disputing your right to feel any way you want about the subject, but I will point out that full lips were considered attractive during many periods in history by many different societies.  The ancient Greeks, for example, thought ideal beauty required full, cupid's bow lips.  And that same look was sported by the famous Gibson girl in the 1890s.  So not just a recent, post-Julia/Angelina development.

No worries, re the first point. I don't feel diminished nor disrespected by you expressing your opinion. Re the second point; you're right- I just had a temporary brain freeze and forgot.

I'm not sure how I feel about idea of cultural appropriation of fashion/hair/beauty styles. Some of it could possibly be attributed to liking a particular style but not being certain that it would be as attractive on a white person until one sees other white people wearing it. But since I'm not a person of color, it really isn't my place to tell you or anyone now they should feel about it. It's a complicated issue, and I do appreciate reading the viewpoints expressed here.

I appreciate anyone regardless of color who can discuss the topic in a mature, thoughtful and tasteful manner like you've done, so thank you.

Corn rows, though,  that indeed pretty much down to Bo Derek. 

At the risk of aging myself, White women wearing cornrows definitely started with Bo Derek. 

• Like 3

On 9/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

I'm baffled when people call Taylor Swift a feminist, since she seems to relish the role of "victim".  Nothing about that is the least bit feminist.  Everyone else is the Big, Bad Wolf, out to get poor widdle Taylor.  If Kanye weren't such a douche in his own right, I would totally be on his side.

Taylor Swift is where feminism goes to die. Her idea of feminism is "Worship me or you're a hater!"

• Like 15

4 hours ago, DollEyes said:

White women wearing cornrows definitely started with Bo Derek

I think it only worked for Bo because no one was looking at her hair.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

She and Lena Dunham must hang out a lot. *rimshot*

I am not even kidding, they became friends after Lena praised her on Twitter. Taylor's a fan of Girls, but at first she thought Lena was mocking her; all the same, she followed her; Lena immediately followed her back, and sent her a DM that said something like, "I'm so excited at the prospect of us being friends that I've added the adjective 'best' in front of it, and I cannot wait to lavish you with praise in person."

And I'm sad at how much of that I remember verbatim from Taylor's Rolling Stone cover story in 2014. I'm think I'm only missing one sentence from that. *hangs head in shame*

They've been friends ever since, and Lena's boyfriend, Jack Antonoff (from the bands fun. and Bleachers) was very active in working on Taylor's album 1989. The song "You Are In Love", from the deluxe version at Target? That's about Jack & Lena's relationship. 

I somehow have the feeling that a Lenny interview between Lena & Taylor would be even more insufferable than even Lena & Amy's was.

Edited by UYI
  • Like 2

Up until I saw a photo of him on some celebrity site, I thought Odell Beckham Jr. was one of the soccer player's kids, and it just figured to me that Lena would get all sexual and weird about a teenage kid.  That's how high my opinion of her is - I didn't blink at it, I just thought "oh, TYPICAL!"

• Like 5

When I posted this comment about Angelina Jolie & the giant bear some people didn't think it was a setup. I just ran across this article, & now I believe it was a setup even more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I think it only worked for Bo because no one was looking at her hair.

I looked at her hair and it didn't work for me. 

13 hours ago, lordonia said:

Minor celebrity Toby Willis, the father of The Willis Clan musical group and featured on a TLC reality show has been arrested for child rape stemming from an incident 12 years ago.

Cases like this prove that, just like there's no statute of limitations on murder, IMO there should be no statute of limitations on rape, regardless of the victims' age(s). 

• Like 20

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:24 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But that's why it's so dangerous, not to mention disingenuous.

Cosby spent years, decades, obtaining and maintaining fame in a society that has always had issues with equality, and once he reached a certain level of fame, he used it to not only protect himself, but to tell other people how they ought to behave. "Cinch your pants up, turn the music down, put your hat on the right way," etc. And then pretty much the minute he was revealed to be worse than any teenaged punk who would hang out on a street corner all day, he started looking for ways out of it by playing the victim, most notably by using his age and failing health as a 'reason' that he should be exempt from facing charges. Now he's claiming that he was profiled. If (when) this fails, what tactic will he use then?

So much word to your post, Cobalt!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GaT said:

When I posted this comment about Angelina Jolie & the giant bear some people didn't think it was a setup. I just ran across this article, & now I believe it was a setup even more.

That article seems pretty harmless.  It's mostly about when Angelina does any mainstream media she has some stipulations about how she is portrayed.  What is wrong with that?  In fact the article is mostly about how when her and Brad do something like a People magazine spread all the money that is negotiated always goes right to charities.  I see nothing wrong with that. 

Considering all the good work Angelina and Brad do that gets attention I seriously doubt she orchestrated buying a giant bear on the side of the road. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, bluphoenix451 said:

Alexis Arquette has passed.

From the article: "Our brother Robert, who became our brother Alexis, who became our sister Alexis, who became our brother Alexis.." feels a bit, hmmm petty, distasteful, unnecessary?

This is already being discussed in Celebrity Deaths: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4162-in-memoriam-celebrity-deaths/

Yes, it would have been easier to say something like "our sibling Alexis." But I think Alexis was gender fluid, and Richmond Arquette was using Alexis' preferred pronouns.

I'm bugged by headlines calling Alexis a "transgender actress."

Edited by editorgrrl · Reason: At first I was flummoxed…
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluphoenix451 said:

Alexis Arquette has passed.

From the article: "Our brother Robert, who became our brother Alexis, who became our sister Alexis, who became our brother Alexis.." feels a bit, hmmm petty, distasteful, unnecessary? 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/alexis-arquette-is-dead-at-47/ar-AAiLPiu?li=BBnb7Kz

Um, what does that mean? Did he go back to being male after transitioning to female?

• Like 1

The family has been very supportive for years -- apparently in recent times (years?) Alexis went back and forth identifying as male and female, saying it depended on whatever mood Alexis was in that day.  So it was a pointed nod to Alexis' explicit expectation to be both, or each one, at any given time, and not be labeled as "merely" one or the other, a position which is apparently where Alexis was still at time of death.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, kassa said:

The family has been very supportive for years -- apparently in recent times (years?) Alexis went back and forth identifying as male and female, saying it depended on whatever mood Alexis was in that day.  So it was a pointed nod to Alexis' explicit expectation to be both, or each one, at any given time, and not be labeled as "merely" one or the other, a position which is apparently where Alexis was still at time of death.

Huh, that's...interesting. I wonder why he/she was called "transgender", if they switched back & forth like that.

I dunno. I somewhat sympathize for once with the media, because the English language hasn't developed properly accepted fully standardized language for "gender fluid". I mean I'm sure GLAAD has suggestions, but they likely haven't made their way to strunk and white's The Elements of Style or The AP Stylebook yet. 

Many of the articles have done a few wise things. For example, MSN simply used "actor", which is more gender neutral than "actress". 

Boy George, just as confused as any of us, seems to have first tweeted using "he" but deleted that and later wrote tweets using "my sister" (figuratively of course). 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2016 at 3:21 PM, editorgrrl said:

But I think Alexis was gender fluid, and Richmond Arquette was using Alexis' preferred pronouns.

The siblings said in the more recent years, Alexis preferred to be "him" instead of "her." I don't think there is a wrong way to identify Alexis when even Alexis wasn't set on one way or another. As long as people are being respectful, we can focus on the loss of a great person who had many more years of success ahead. 

tumblr_nhzvvsAbs71rhd0aco1_250.gif

They didn't really want to hurt you, they didn't really want to make you cry. RIP Alexis.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, BatmanBeatles said:

The worship of high school and college football escapes me.

I live within thirty miles of three, if not four, major schools, and I can tell you truthfully that football and basketball are a very big deal here. Mostly because its a chance to go on to play professional sports, where the money is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I live within thirty miles of three, if not four, major schools, and I can tell you truthfully that football and basketball are a very big deal here. Mostly because its a chance to go on to play professional sports, where the money is.

Sweetie, I went to a high school that had a top notch public speaking team (I was on it), and got countless awards. Our various sports teams were just a bucket of "meh" Needless to say the jocks got all the glory, and those of us on the public speaking team got nada.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BatmanBeatles said:

The worship of high school and college football escapes me.

I know and one of the most infuriatingly ironic parts of that whole Penn State mess is that   the  minor victims themselves evidently WERE big hero-worshipping football fans -yet the defenders don't seem to have any outrage  that they were victimized just that their own worshipping got soured via reality's harsh light and   consequences being enacted . Anyway, since that poor girl got attacked for daring to suggest  that reviving the cult wasn't so smart, it IS news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bookish Jen said:
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Sweetie, I went to a high school that had a top notch public speaking team (I was on it), and got countless awards. Our various sports teams were just a bucket of "meh" Needless to say the jocks got all the glory, and those of us on the public speaking team got nada.

My brother's best friend, who grew up very poor, on a farm, was able to get good enough grades to get really good scholarships to a university.  He went straight through to get his PHD in Astro-physics, I believe, has an amazing job at JPL (helped put the Mars Rover together) and has been interviewed about a few different projects.  I really like this kid and love his humble beginnings story.  Another kid from our school, whose family was really into sports and really good at them, had a kid of his own who recently did something great in sports (and, seriously--kudos to him. I don't want to take that away from him).

Guess which one is never mentioned and which one has been the talk of the town?

I don't get it either.  Unless the athletes are doing some great (and sincere) humanitarian or charity work or the like, then I'll consider worshiping them.

• Like 13

The QB for the 2002 National Champion The Ohio State Buckeyes, Craig Krenzel, was a bio or chemical engineering major, and I remember all the announcers being amazed. 

I wish educational awards and benchmarks were celebrated as much as college sports.

But coming from a state obsessed with Buckeyes football, I do understand the obsession and glory in it.

However, not even tOSU or UM fans are obsessed like here in NC.  

And now that both the NCAA & ACC have pulled all their non-home championship games from all sports, the governor is FINALLY talking about repealing HB2.  Too bad he let it get that far.  Of course, he's losing the election as well.

• Like 2

It was a big deal that American figure skaters Debi Thomas, Tonia Kwiatkowski, and Paul Wylie all pursued masters/PHDs in addition to skating (Paul was actually supposed to go to law school at Harvard, but didn't because of the professional figure skating boom after the attack of his good friend Nancy Kerrigan--they shared the same coaches for years in Massachusetts). Part of that is because figure skaters have INSANE training hours--when they're kids, they have to get VERY early to go the rink before school, and then go right back to the rink once school is over. It can be a very lonely sport unless you really, REALLY love it (and even then, it can still feel lonely at times). Remember, Debi took a year of leave from STANFORD MEDICAL SCHOOL to train for the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, and became an ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON after that.

...Which of course, makes the story of how she lost her medical license and her descent into poverty in recent years even sadder. :'( 

• Like 3

I attended a huge football school (USC), but fortunately it was in a city where there was a lot more to do than get hyped about sports, so sports/football frenzy didn't feel as inescapable as it might living in someplace like Happy Valley. 

“Finding James means I will not have to lie to anyone or grow old on my own.”

It got a bit dusty in here reading that line. That's very sweet.

Side note, it annoys me so much when straight people act like being gay is just about sex. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Popples said:

It got a bit dusty in here reading that line. That's very sweet.

" Finding James means I will not have to lie to anyone or grow old on my own.”

I don't  know either of them from Adam but let's hope for James's sake at least that proves more true than it did for Lord Ivar's ex-wife or the girlfriend he divorced her for.  Time will tell. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 3

There's never any guarantee that you won't grow old alone, even if you find someone.  For anybody.  I always wonder why people even say that.  "Now I don't have to grow old alone!"  Well maybe if your partner is Captain Jack Harkness, but mostly likely they're mortal.

• Like 3

Meh. Like many figures of speech, it's never been a statement I've interpreted rigidly/literally. Of course there are multiple reasons why he could still end up alone at the end of the day. But as someone who had resigned myself to ~dying alone for the longest time because I assumed I was straight but the idea of being "tethered" to a guy for that long was repulsive, and it was only when I realized that I wasn't straight that a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak opened up and I suddenly understood where people were coming from re: romance and love and "growing old together".... I get the sentiment. It's less about certainty and more about possibility. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Like 13

15 hours ago, Kromm said:

I can already hear all the future jokes about his name ("Mountbatten"). 

My mind went to "Ivar the boneless."

• Like 1

Apparently Cathriona White, Jim Carrey's ex-girlfriend who committed suicide last year, had a husband at the time of her death and now said husband is suing Carrey for wrongful death:

http://www.people.com/article/jim-carrey-wrongful-death-suit-blame-former-girlfriend-suicide

I don't know WHAT to think of this one.  It's interesting to note that few people had even heard of this guy, and now he's coming out of the woodwork.

Technically, Lord Ivar is not the first gay, or bi-sexual royal.  Edward II was gay, despite having 4 children w/Queen Isabella.  James I was bi-sexual.  

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

" Finding James means I will not have to lie to anyone or grow old on my own.”

I don't  know either of them from Adam but let's hope for James's sake at least that proves more true than it did for Lord Ivar's ex-wife or the girlfriend he divorced her for.  Time will tell. That's all I'm saying.

Did you read the article? His ex and new boyfriend get along really well and his kids love James.

• Like 1

There's a blind item that Corey Haim was raped by a powerful A-List actor. I usually don't follow Radar Online or blind items, but after what Corey Feldman disclosed in his book, and the things that Elijah Wood said earlier this year about there being a pedophile problem in Hollywood, I'm kind of having a hard time taking this one with a grain of salt. It's highly disturbing.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

Apparently Cathriona White, Jim Carrey's ex-girlfriend who committed suicide last year, had a husband at the time of her death and now said husband is suing Carrey for wrongful death:

http://www.people.com/article/jim-carrey-wrongful-death-suit-blame-former-girlfriend-suicide

I don't know WHAT to think of this one.  It's interesting to note that few people had even heard of this guy, and now he's coming out of the woodwork.

The attorney who filed the lawsuit is the same one who sued the NFL over the seat fiasco at the Dallas Super Bowl (ongoing) and sued the NFL and Hall of Fame this summer over the Hall of Fame Game cancellation.   Don't know about the husband, but the attorney is loving the attention.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maraleia said:

Did you read the article? His ex and new boyfriend get along really well and his kids love James.

That's great, and hopefully this will be the lasting relationship he hopes for, but it's still early days and nothing in life is guaranteed.  Which, I think, is what the previous poster was eluding to.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's great, and hopefully this will be the lasting relationship he hopes for, but it's still early days and nothing in life is guaranteed.  Which, I think, is what the previous poster was eluding to.

Yes, that and just because one's family likes one's companion isn't a guarantee of everything staying wonderful between two companions to the end of one's life -as it's quite likely the Lord Ivar's birth family likely had accepted his former wife when they first got together. Time will tell.

OtterMommy

Please do not post only links to news stories. Please add some context for the link for the other members. Context can even be as simple as a quote from the article itself.