Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm NOT disputing Mr. Smart's right to love whatever mutually consenting adults he may want to love regardless of the shape of their skin but did he have to put this out on social media? Hadn't his family (especially his elder daughter) ALREADY been through far too much without having to deal with the online community now being handed ammo by Mr. Smart?! Sorry, but I'm not about to throw him a parade re the way he disclosed this. 

I’m not assuming that he ever intended for this to picked up by the media and for anyone outside his circle to care. He wrote a letter addressed to his friends and family and posted it on facebook. He deleted it as soon as local media reported it. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m not assuming that he ever intended for this to picked up by the media and for anyone outside is circle to care. He wrote a letter addressed to his friends and family and posted it on facebook. He deleted it as soon as local media reported it. 

I don't know anything about this gentleman, but does he know how Facebook works? More people can see your posts than just your official friends. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, topanga said:

I don't know anything about this gentleman, but does he know how Facebook works? More people can see your posts than just your official friends. 

I'm pretty sure only my friends see my posts on my Facebook page. Am I mistaken? 

• Like 1

Just now, Melina22 said:

I'm pretty sure only my friends see my posts on my Facebook page. Am I mistaken? 

No, it depends on what your settings are I believe.  They have settings where you can make your posts public or only viewable by friends/family.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, topanga said:

That very much depends on your privacy settings.

I imagine if he thought anything about it he just assumed no one other than his friends and family would care.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, topanga said:

Not if you set your privacy settings correctly. The way the story was first reported makes me think that his page is private and that someone tipped off reporters.

Even if his page was public I could easily see him thinking no one else would care. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 3

So, apparently #Boycott Mulan is trending. What's going on? Are people mad that it's not a musical?

Not exactly. I have a simple request of any star (or potential star) who decides to dip their toe into political waters: Be ready for the fallout. She's going to have to do press in America for this movie, how did she think that was going to play here?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Not if you set your privacy settings correctly. The way the story was first reported makes me think that his page is private and that someone tipped off reporters.

If this is what happened then I take back my criticism. I thought he deliberately told the world. If it was a leak, so to speak, that's completely different, and essentially none of my business. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So, apparently #Boycott Mulan is trending. What's going on? Are people mad that it's not a musical?

Not exactly. I have a simple request of any star (or potential star) who decides to dip their toe into political waters: Be ready for the fallout. She's going to have to do press in America for this movie, how did she think that was going to play here?

It’s still 7 months before Mulan comes out. I’d be surprised if US media focuses on it. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

If this is what happened then I take back my criticism. I thought he deliberately told the world. If it was a leak, so to speak, that's completely different, and essentially none of my business. 

I don’t get this, what happened to Elizabeth was horrific and traumatic but it also happened 16 years ago people in her family should not be living their lives based on how it would impact Elizabeth.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s still 7 months before Mulan comes out. I’d be surprised if US media focuses on it. 

If Beijing cuts a deal, they won't. If another Tiananmen Square happens....the half-life increases exponentially.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t get this, what happened to Elizabeth was horrific and traumatic but it also happened 16 years ago people in her family should not be living their lives based on how it would impact Elizabeth.

To be honest, my initial criticism didn't have anything at all to do with Elizabeth, who appears to be an extremely tough and resilient person. I was thinking more about his wife. Losing your husband after decades of marriage and many children, whether to a man or another woman, is usually devastating. Publicity would just make it worse. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

To be honest, my initial criticism didn't have anything at all to do with Elizabeth, who appears to be an extremely tough and resilient person. I was thinking more about his wife. Losing your husband after decades of marriage and many children, whether to a man or another woman, is usually devastating. Publicity would just make it worse. 

Having known more than one couple that’s gone through this it’s going to be the people in their social circle that will be will hurt the most which would have happened regardless. Also, nowhere in his statement does it say there is another person involved.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Sure, if you have it set to friends only.  But, then your friends are free to repost it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Sure, if you have it set to friends only.  But, then your friends are free to repost it.

Not unless they screencap it which would make them shitty people.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Poor ELizabeth, after all she's been through, now she finds out her family has been a lie all these years, and her poor mother has to go through this so publicly.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I imagine if he thought anything about it he just assumed no one other than his friends and family would care.

After what this family went through with Elizabeth's story, to think that only friends & family would care about this is too naive to believe. He had to know it was going to make headlines. 

• Like 7

My personal view is Ed Smart rode his kidnapped child's coat tales to celebrity.   Every time he fades from the spotlight, he comes up with some way to stay in the spotlight.   The announcement of his daughter's baby was a total violation of their privacy, and endangering the daughter, her child, and husband.       

The only reason he hit the news is because he announced it, and thinks he'll get media attention, but I suspect he's fooling himself.   He'll be on a few minor interviews, and that will be it.    As someone put it so aptly about someone else, "He's a legend in his own mind".   I'm hoping the daughter will be left alone, and the rest of the family can adjust to the change in their world.    

Elizabeth Smart is still quite active in the survivor community, and has done quite a bit of work with other survivors, so she's the real celebrity.   However,   I saw her father as an interloper who tried to keep in the forefront even after his daughter was old enough to appear alone, without a parent.   

I'm sure the extended family and friends will help the Smart family through this, but I have zero interest in what the father does going forward.    I just hope coming back in the news doesn't lead to harassment for Elizabeth, and the rest of her family.   Don't forget that the male kidnapper is in jail for life, his accomplice is out of jail, and living not very far from Elizabeth and her family.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

I’m not at all surprised.  He pinged my gaydar during the kidnapping.  A young girl being kidnapped is news.  Her middle aged father deciding to begin living his life as a gay man is not.  

• Like 5

I'll give Mr. Smart the benefit of the doubt that he's waiting for the divorce to be final to find someone else but I'm still not sure his putting his intentions on Facebook instead of him and Mrs. Smart quietly separating, telling only their closest family members then filing for divorce was the most selfless or considerate way he could have done this. And, yes, I know that his daughters are both grown and presumably have gone on with their lives since the elder's ordeal but that still doesn't mean that they deserved to have their parents' union ending with his added declaration put out the way it was! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I wasn't going to go see it anyway, but I refuse to boycott movies due to actors' political stances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wasn't going to go see it anyway, but I refuse to boycott movies due to actors' political stances.

I can appreciate this POV but I have to be honest and say that I've gone from loving Susan Sarandon to refusing to see anything she's in.  Which sucks because I like a lot of the stuff she's done, from cultish Rocky Horror to the (IMO) best film version of Little Women made so far.  But there it is - I can't separate her recent politics from her on screen presence.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I'll give Mr. Smart the benefit of the doubt that he's waiting for the divorce to be final to find someone else but I'm still not sure his putting his intentions on Facebook instead of him and Mrs. Smart quietly separating, telling only their closest family members then filing for divorce was the most selfless or considerate way he could have done this. 

Of course there’s no way to know for sure, but I suspect this is not news to Smart’s family and friends. It could be that he confessed his truth privately a while ago and decided to make things public because he and his wife will now be moving forward with the divorce. Their decision to divorce will become public record and thus potential  fodder for the tabloids, if discovered.

Like someone stated upthread, his public announcement may have more to do with controlling the narrative of his impending divorce and what may eventually be him being spotted with a new lover, rather than letting it be accidentally discovered and it turning into a tabloid nightmare. 

Edited by Enero
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I'll give Mr. Smart the benefit of the doubt that he's waiting for the divorce to be final to find someone else but I'm still not sure his putting his intentions on Facebook instead of him and Mrs. Smart quietly separating, telling only their closest family members then filing for divorce was the most selfless or considerate way he could have done this. And, yes, I know that his daughters are both grown and presumably have gone on with their lives since the elder's ordeal but that still doesn't mean that they deserved to have their parents' union ending with his added declaration put out the way it was! 

According to one of the articles Lois Smart filed for divorce over a month ago. Hopefully his immediate family had time to deal with the shock before it was made public. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My personal view is Ed Smart rode his kidnapped child's coat tales to celebrity.   Every time he fades from the spotlight, he comes up with some way to stay in the spotlight.   The announcement of his daughter's baby was a total violation of their privacy, and endangering the daughter, her child, and husband.       

The only reason he hit the news is because he announced it, and thinks he'll get media attention, but I suspect he's fooling himself.   He'll be on a few minor interviews, and that will be it.    As someone put it so aptly about someone else, "He's a legend in his own mind".   I'm hoping the daughter will be left alone, and the rest of the family can adjust to the change in their world.    

Elizabeth Smart is still quite active in the survivor community, and has done quite a bit of work with other survivors, so she's the real celebrity.   However,   I saw her father as an interloper who tried to keep in the forefront even after his daughter was old enough to appear alone, without a parent.   

I'm sure the extended family and friends will help the Smart family through this, but I have zero interest in what the father does going forward.    I just hope coming back in the news doesn't lead to harassment for Elizabeth, and the rest of her family.   Don't forget that the male kidnapper is in jail for life, his accomplice is out of jail, and living not very far from Elizabeth and her family.   

Elizabeth herself has an active social media presence, announced subsequent pregnancies there and also posts photos of her children on Instagram (she has a verified account as a Public Figure). In addition to her advocacy and public speaking, was a correspondent for Crime Watch Daily when it on, so it isn't like she has lived a totally private life since she's grown up.

With her first child, I figured she kept mum before the baby was born due to some residual "stuff" about her kidnapping. Some people are weirdly nosy about how she coped with sex later on in life after the abuse she endured. When she was found alive, there also were ~conspiracy theories~ that she'd been pregnant and was gone long enough to give birth, with the abduction as a coverup. For baby #1, I could envision her being a little paranoid about what some of the internet peanut gallery might have to say. Once you have the kid, you're preoccupied with that and you also realize the vast majority of people are either happy for you or are busy with their own lives and don't really care. Anyway, at the time, my assumption was that Ed Smart had his daughter's tacit permission to go public about her baby.

About his own breaking news, it is pretty naive of him to think that kind of Facebook post would stay secret for long, if that's how it played out. 

5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

On a movie forum I frequent, the posters more familiar with mainland China say the government is known to *encourage* Chinese entertainers to publicly support the regime. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Enero said:

Of course there’s no way to know for sure, but I suspect this is not news to Smart’s family and friends. It could be that he confessed his truth privately a while ago and decided to make things public because he and his wife will now be moving forward with the divorce. Their decision to divorce will become public record and thus potential  fodder for the tabloids, if discovered.

Like someone stated upthread, his public announcement may have more to do with controlling the narrative of his impending divorce and what may eventually be him being spotted with a new lover, rather than letting it be accidentally discovered and it turning into a tabloid nightmare. 

I was thinking the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Dejana said:

a movie forum I frequent, the posters more familiar with mainland China say the government is known to *encourage* Chinese entertainers to publibly support the regime. 

While most of her career is there she is an American citizen who grew up in NY.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

You hit the nail right on the head. I remember the period of time when Elizabeth was missing and when she was found. It seemed that the dad was always trying to make it all about himself. Wasn't he considered a suspect/person of interest at one point? Something about him just seemed creepy and made my skin crawl. No, it's not because I ever suspected him of being gay (I have absolutely horrible gaydar). 

Edited by catlover79

1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

Her family was not a lie. Her father tried to live the church's teachings, and suppressed a vital part of himself -- one he doesn't want to suppress anymore. That doesn't mean he didn't love her mother, that he didn't love his daughter, or that any moment they had as a family was invalid. It means he has been making a horrible, secret sacrifice his entire life.

It was terribly unfair to her mother. But, frankly, it shouldn't change a damn thing about his relationship with his daughter.

It's a lie. If her father hadn't "suppressed a vital part of himself" (his choice, not anybody else's), he would have never married a woman, & Elizabeth would never have been born. Elizabeth exists because her father couldn't face the truth.

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

4 hours ago, Dejana said:

On a movie forum I frequent, the posters more familiar with mainland China say the government is known to *encourage* Chinese entertainers to publicly support the regime. 

I'm pretty sure this is the case.  Several K-Pop stars who are Chinese also posted pro-China sentiments on social media recently.  And most of their defenders are pointing out that they all still have family in China.

Jackie Chan has also publicly spoken against the Hong Kong protests.  And his production company is still based in China, despite his global celebrity.

So I have a reasonable doubt that any of these stars a)wanted to speak on this topic, or b)actually believe the statements they put out.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, kieyra said:

Ed Smart is the father of a woman who is known worldwide.

He’s also a member of a multibillion dollar church that is actively hostile to the rights of the LGTBQ community. His coming out was going to be news no matter what.

I’m finding the subtext of “but why is he shoving it in our faces” to be a little disheartening in and of itself. He’s had to live in the closet all his life, in a religious culture that told him he was broken and the worst kind of sinner. The guy deserves a few years of being himself, especially so late in life.

Regarding the bolded: Not to mention, despite the fact divorce does exist within the LDS (Mormon) Church, as I understand it (I guess at least if you either marry in the Temple, or you marry in the main Temple in Salt Lake City), marriage is considered “for life” in that religion (someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

marriage is considered “for life” in that religion

Marriage should always be considered for life.  Otherwise, what is really the point? You may as well just shack up or date.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, GaT said:

It's a lie. If her father hadn't "suppressed a vital part of himself" (his choice, not anybody else's), he would have never married a woman, & Elizabeth would never have been born. Elizabeth exists because her father couldn't face the truth.

His choice? We live in a society that murders, discriminates against, ostracizes, and bullies anyone who isn't heterosexual causing people to stay in the closet or fight against their sexuality/gender so they don't lose their families, livelihood, and lives. 

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

While most of her career is there she is an American citizen who grew up in NY.

True, but she likely has lots of family in China who are subject to authority of the government. It is possible that pressure was put on her to make that statement.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 18

Whatever happens, I'm wishing the best for the Smart family, and hope they find a way to go forward that gives them peace, and happiness.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 16

10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: Not to mention, despite the fact divorce does exist within the LDS (Mormon) Church, as I understand it (I guess at least if you either marry in the Temple, or you marry in the main Temple in Salt Lake City), marriage is considered “for life” in that religion (someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this).

It’s way more complicated and creepy and misogynistic than that, but yeah. (You’re “sealed” to your partner in the afterlife. For a long time, if a man was widowed and remarried, he got to be sealed to the new wife too and she would be part of his afterlife harem, but women couldn’t do the same. Just one example.)

Obviously, gay couples cannot be sealed at all, so they don’t get to be part of their family in their afterlife. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:06 PM, Dani said:

I’m not assuming that he ever intended for this to picked up by the media and for anyone outside his circle to care. He wrote a letter addressed to his friends and family and posted it on facebook. He deleted it as soon as local media reported it. 

Actually, he never deleted it. And Elizabeth has publicly stated that she supports him.  Was it better for him to continue living a lie right down to his grave because of something that happened about 15 years ago and that Elizabeth herself has long since moved past?  Her ordeal then has absolutely nothing to do with his ordeal now, and it's not about her this time but about HIM. I applaud him for having the courage to make a decision that I know from my own experience as a gay man who came out relatively late he did not make lightly.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Not quite. Marriage in the temple (in any temple anywhere in the world, not just the one in Salt Lake City) isn't just "for life." It's for "time and all eternity," meaning that the marriage bond transcends death itself. Only marriages that are performed outside of the temple are considered "for life," meaning that we take the phrase "till death do you part" literally.

Drogo

This is a place for news about celebrities.

This isn't a place for news about not-celebrities.