Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null37283t03

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

What a weird story! Wayne Newton appears to be denying responsibility because he moved out because of almost dying from a spider bite? What? 

I know it's late so maybe that's why at first I thought it was a spider monkey bite, but no... just a spider bite. I'm going to have to read that again to make some sense of it. 

When will people learn that monkeys make horrible pets? I totally get the appeal. They're insanely cute and funny... till they start biting your face! 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 19
  • Useful 1

On 7/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, Blergh said:

AFAIC, re those in the Laughlin household, it seems they are kissing up to mommy and daddy who could easily throw them out on their legal adult ears and insist they earn their own way in the world instead of continually depending on mommy and daddy whose pockets aren't as deep as they once were thanks to all that alleged chicanery with the admissions?  

Or maybe Olivia isn't so concerned. I can't see any scenario in which Lori and Mossimo and their legal/PR team wanted her to do THAT.

Like I said though, own being a piece of trash while your delusional mother continues plotting to marrying you off into old money high society and making her Hallmark Movie Queen comeback.

I do think it's hilarious that the P.R. team that was clearly working it with the "Happy birthday" posts were just completely fucked over by this.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 4

15 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Or maybe Olivia isn't so concerned. I can't see any scenario in which Lori and Mossimo and their legal/PR team wanted her to do THAT.

Like I said though, own being a piece of trash while your delusional mother continues plotting to marrying you off into old money high society and making her Hallmark Movie Queen comeback.

I do think it's hilarious that the P.R. team that was clearly working it with the "Happy birthday" posts were just completely fucked over by this.

She's obviously tone deaf, entitled, spoiled & overly estimates her own importance, but, who raised her that way? The same parents who thought that buying her way into college was a perfectly normal thing to do. This family is in for a very big surprise.

• Like 13
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t watch The Hills but listened to a podcast on The Ringer about it. Kaitlyn and Brody had been dating for two years when Caitlyn came out as trans and yes he found that awkward. Also, apparently Brody routinely treated her like shit and belittled her and called her stupid on the show so there was speculation even before they split that they should split.

I'll bet she wishes she'd just called an early intermission and skipped the 2nd act instead of having stuck with it to the bitter end! Hindsight's 20/20, I guess. Well, I still think she'd be better off being solo for a while than going out with another celeb known to be as stable as nitrate stock! 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

K-Pop.  Something I can talk about a little...

12 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

My morning radio guys wondered if the break [for BTS] was due to the required 2 years of military service that all South Korean men must do between the ages of 18 to 28. 

6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I remember in an interview a couple months ago, they mentioned having to do military service.

I really like them and hope to see them back to performing once their military service is over.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

From what I've seen regarding to male K-Pop stars and them having to do their required military service:

Since it is a requirement, everyone understands when an announcement comes out saying that a member of a popular group is about to do their service.  There's often an event for the fans a day or two before the group member actually enters service, as a sort of "goodbye for now, see you when I get out" party.  Songs are performed, the one entering service usually says a thank you speech to the fans for being fans, and tears are typically shed all around.

Generally, when a K-Pop star does enter service and completes the equivalent of basic training, they get assigned to a "less combat-ready" position; typically MPs or office work of some type like public relations, in a move to guarantee their safety.  However, some do request an active duty position.  G-Dragon, one of the biggest K-Pop stars in recent history, requested to join up with an infantry division, and has (mostly) been on active duty during his service, which is set to end in November of this year.

Meanwhile, the rest of the group that are not currently serving are still working.  They may still be touring and performing, despite not having a full group. The absent member's parts may be performed by another member, but usually the audience fills in for them instead.

Or a group will take the opportunity to do non-group projects.  Some members release solo or sub-unit albums.  Others members take acting gigs.  Others take semi-regular, or just plain regular, positions on variety (read: reality) shows.  This way, they're still in the public eye and still earning something, even without the full group together.

Once a star's service is complete, they take a little time off to "recover", then make a comeback starting with a big "welcome back" event for the fans.   They may also do a brief variety show tour as a way to ease back in to celebrity life.  But they typically will eventually rejoin their group and get back to performing again.

12 hours ago, GaT said:

I wonder if it was the group's idea or their management company's idea. From what I can tell, K Pop groups work for their management companies, not the other way around. I just recently read how Rosé, a member of BlackPink, trained for 4 years before she was picked by her management company to be in the group, so it doesn't sound like people get together & form a group themselves. It would be interesting to find out exactly how much say band members have in their careers.

From what I've seen, the answer to the bolded is: very little at first, if ever.  A group or individual needs to either have longevity or be a huge breakout success in order to change that.

Compared to the big production companies of K-Pop, Lou Pearlman was a cheap amateur.  The K-Pop industry is just that: industry.  All the groups are manufactured in some way.  They take their trainees (kids who started training with a company usually as tweens, and have been in singing, dancing, and acting classes provided* by the company), and start seeing which ones work well together and fit the image for a group they want to create.   The companies employ song-writers to create the songs to match the image, stylists to craft the image, etc.  The actual members of the group are really the least important to the process at first.  Once they have a complete group, they put them in a dorm together, so the group will be together 24/7, and then start preparing them for a debut.  Which involves learning the new songs and choreography, and adapting to the new image.

Many trainees spend years in a company, but very few actually join a group.  Some come close to being members of some well-known groups, but just miss out.  The lucky unselected can often transition into acting, since they have training.  They also then have a nice little tidbit for the talk shows about how "they were almost in (X Group)" but just missed out. 

Weirdly, there's a variety series where you can kind of watch how the group creation process happens.  There's a series called Produce 101, where (up to) 101 trainees from different companies all compete to be part of a single group, with the viewing audience deciding on the members.  There's been 4 seasons in Korea; the even-numbered ones with male trainees, and the odd-numbered ones with females, and the 3rd season actually being a collaboration with J-Pop girl group AKB48 and other similar groups in Japan to form an international group.  There's also a Chinese version of the show (two seasons thus far, one each female and male), and an upcoming Japanese one focusing on male performers.

*Oh, all that training that the company provided?  That wasn't free.  Artists are expected to pay the company back for all that.  So for a long time, the individual members of a group aren't making any money.  The first real paycheck comes several months or even years after debuting.

Here's a video featuring Way of the former group Crayon Pop talking about the whole thing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOA5BCwBi0

• Like 3
  • Useful 11
  • Surprise 2

According to the AP, the performer Andy Dick claims to have been assaulted and knocked unconscious for about 15 minutes after a stranger knocked him to the ground in New Orleans, Louisiana. If this claim is true, that's quite awful- regardless of my dislike for him as a person and performer. 

Edited by Blergh · Reason: locale location
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, Melina22 said:

What a weird story! Wayne Newton appears to be denying responsibility because he moved out because of almost dying from a spider bite? What? 

I know it's late so maybe that's why at first I thought it was a spider monkey bite, but no... just a spider bite. I'm going to have to read that again to make some sense of it. 

When will people learn that monkeys make horrible pets? I totally get the appeal. They're insanely cute and funny... till they start biting your face! 

They weren't living on the property, which Newton had sold to investors in 2010. He had been involved in the myseum but resigned because of a nearly fatal reaction to a spider bite. And therefore had no control over the situation. I saw photos of the bite and there was no infection and the scar is minimal. The girl was whining because they hospital gave her a tetanus shot. Money grab.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I may be projecting, but throwing shade over someone's memory issues seems mean-spirited. If she legitimately has something wrong with her, it sucks, and if she's just going through a normal bout of perimenopause-related cognitive fuckery, it still sucks. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, GaT said:

I don't think she ever had scenes with any of those people, other than at Tony's funeral, so I don't think it's that odd if she doesn't remember filming with them. People getting worked up over the 'I wasn't in Spider-Man' thing is weird to me. It was one scene, where she appeared for thirty seconds with Tony and Happy (and without Spider-Man), that was probably filmed long after the rest of the movie, maybe even as part of the Infinity War shoot.

But really, I just think she's going out of her way to make it clear she doesn't care about the MCU, and was only ever in it because she enjoyed working with RDJ. I think she's a crank who shills unethical and dubious health products, but I don't think she needs to be as invested in the MCU as anyone else in the cast.

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't think she ever had scenes with any of those people, other than at Tony's funeral, so I don't think it's that odd if she doesn't remember filming with them.

It's not just a matter of her filming with them, she's been introduced, she's had conversations, & she didn't even know Samuel Jackson was in the movies. How do you forget Samuel  L Jackson? 

• Like 9

I have no problem imagining Paltrow spending every free second on set holed up in her trailer, with assistants rejuvenating her and whatnot.

Yeah. She's Cleopatra to me.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 10

18 minutes ago, GaT said:

It's not just a matter of her filming with them, she's been introduced, she's had conversations, & she didn't even know Samuel Jackson was in the movies. How do you forget Samuel  L Jackson? 

She probably gets introduced to hundreds of different people, on set and off. Not remembering them isn't necessarily a sign of a mental disorder. She might just be completely self-involved.

But as I say, I think the likely explanation is that she's exaggerating this because she wants to make it clear that she's not interested in talking about the MCU.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I would bet money that Gwenyth hasn’t seen any marvel movie in its entirety even if she walked the carpet at the premiere. 

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I would bet money that Gwenyth hasn’t seen any marvel movie in its entirety even if she walked the carpet at the premiere. 

And, honestly? I have zero issues with that. She doesn't like superhero movies. That's okay -- even if she's in some of them. Being a Marvel fan isn't a prerequisite for her job. Neither is watching the movies she's in. She did a job, got paid, moved on.

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

And, honestly? I have zero issues with that. She doesn't like superhero movies. That's okay -- even if she's in some of them. Being a Marvel fan isn't a prerequisite for her job. Neither is watching the movies she's in. She did a job, got paid, moved on.

Oh yes it wasn’t a criticism. Peak Gwenyth to me was when she was arguing with Favreau that she wasn’t in Spider-Man simply because he obviously was there and she knows he was more involved in the movies than she was and was in the scene with her!

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

10 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Even if it's just that she doesn't care, I think it's incredibly rude that she can't even bother to remember that she was introduced to someone, worked with them, had multiple conversations with them, attended events with them. If she doesn't have some kind of memory problem, then she's effectively saying that these people aren't important enough for her to remember they exist. 

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

She probably gets introduced to hundreds of different people, on set and off. Not remembering them isn't necessarily a sign of a mental disorder. She might just be completely self-involved.

I agree but being completely self involved can be a sign of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. 

6 minutes ago, GaT said:

Even if it's just that she doesn't care, I think it's incredibly rude that she can't even bother to remember that she was introduced to someone, worked with them, had multiple conversations with them, attended events with them. If she doesn't have some kind of memory problem, then she's effectively saying that these people aren't important enough for her to remember they exist. 

To me the worst one is when she posted a picture wishing Robert Downey Jr happy birthday and referred to Tom Holland as “that other guy in the photo”. Even if she has memory issues that’s just being deliberately rude. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I would give you good odds on that. I don't know how common it is for actors to walk the red carpet and then head straight out the back of the theatre to get back in the limo, but I bet it happens fairly often.

I feel like Anna Kendrick mentioned in her book that she was surprised, early in her career, that people did that.

50 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

I'm sure she only took the role of Pepper because she wanted to work with RDJ, and probably with Jeff Bridges. As you say, she has no obligation to fall in love with the MCU, or care one bit about the larger universe.

I wouldn't be surprised if she considers them "those silly, comic book movies", like some other actors apparently still do. And there are definitely other actors in the MCU who I seriously doubt have any interest or affection for the source material, and only care about their own bit of it.

But I'll reiterate, I think her forgetfulness is more artifice than genuine.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Dani said:

To me the worst one is when she posted a picture wishing Robert Downey Jr happy birthday and referred to Tom Holland as “that other guy in the photo”. Even if she has memory issues that’s just being deliberately rude. 

I don’t follow either closely enough but when she actually posted the photo which was a year ago everyone in the comments took that as a joke about “the other guy” it’s just got looped into the story that she didn’t remember she was in Spider-Man and forgot Sebastian Stan. She remembered Tom Holland, his name, and being in a scene with him she just thought it was an Avengers movie.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I would give you good odds on that. I don't know how common it is for actors to walk the red carpet and then head straight out the back of the theatre to get back in the limo, but I bet it happens fairly often.

I feel like Anna Kendrick mentioned in her book that she was surprised, early in her career, that people did that.

Some people don't like watching themselves in movies.  Maybe she's one of them.  I can't begin to guess why she doesn't remember some of the actors--it could be any one of a number of reasons. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

It does.  It seems most actors are uncomfortable watching themselves on screen, so a lot of them only watch a finished project once (and some never do), and some of those prefer to do it in a more private setting than a premiere, so they'll walk the red carpet press line to promote the film, but not stay for the screening (whether having already seen it at a small screening at the studio, intending to watch it later, or none of the above).

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t follow either closely enough but when she actually posted the photo which was a year ago everyone in the comments took that as a joke about “the other guy” it’s just got looped into the story that she didn’t remember she was in Spider-Man and forgot Sebastian Stan. She remembered Tom Holland, his name, and being in a scene with him she just thought it was an Avengers movie.

I was mainly going off of Tom Holland’s comments which left me with the impression that they do not know each other well enough for a joke like that to work. Also just judging by the number of asinine things she has said with complete sincerity I’m really not sure I believe it was a joke. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

I was mainly going off of Tom Holland’s comments which left me with the impression that they do not know each other well enough for a joke like that to work. Also just judging by the number of asinine things she has said with complete sincerity I’m really not sure I believe it was a joke. 

But his comments weren’t referring to the picture they were referring to her not remembering she was in Spider-Man but then he also screwed up that they were in another movie together. The headline and including the IG post were clickbait going off of the other stories of not remembering Sebastian Stan.

I am mostly shocked she chose that photo to post because it isn’t very flattering to her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But his comments weren’t referring to the picture they were referring to her not remembering she was in Spider-Man but then he also screwed up that they were in another movie together. The headline and including the IG post were clickbait going off of the other stories of not remembering Sebastian Stan.

I am mostly shocked she chose that photo to post because it isn’t very flattering to her.

He brought up the Instagram post when he was talking about her not remembering him. Like I said his reaction left me with the impression that they did not know each other for her post to be a playful joke.

“She came up and asked me for a photo with me and Robert [Downey Jr.],” Holland remembered. “And then I think she posted it and she said ‘Robert Downey Jr., myself and this guy.’ I was just the guy.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

I have no problem imagining Paltrow spending every free second on set holed up in her trailer, with assistants rejuvenating her and whatnot.

Yeah. She's Cleopatra to me.

I love the comparison of her to Cleopatra. Movie stars and A list celebrities are the royalty of America. The world, really. I feel like we're wasting our time trying to figure out what they're thinking, or why they did what they did. We'll never really know what it's like to live in their world. 

That said, it's really fun to try! 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, GaT said:

She's obviously tone deaf, entitled, spoiled & overly estimates her own importance, but, who raised her that way? The same parents who thought that buying her way into college was a perfectly normal thing to do. This family is in for a very big surprise.

I don't know. It's nice to pretend that karma will bite bad people in the end but I won't be shocked if nothing really bad happens. This girl did a Youtube rant on Olivia Jade that really verbalized my feelings:

She's right that the most disturbing of this is all the positive comments she's getting from fellow influencers. It's just disheartening. She's also right that Olivia posted this because she knows she can. It's basically like the scene in Heathers where Veronica asks her why she is such a mega-bitch and Heather Duke replies, "Because I can be." Entitlement and privilege and knowing that you'll always be covered because of your rich person status, that's the mindset of people like that.

I do hope that this family will get significantly drained in wealth that it alters how they're able to live. Like instead of living in a 30-million dollar house, they'll have to live in 15 million dollar house. LOL.

I also hope this photo significantly damaged the defense case. That might be a pipe dream, but I doubt anyone in the P.R./legal team was happy.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 14

40 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

She's right that the most disturbing of this is all the positive comments she's getting from fellow influencers. It's just disheartening. She's also right that Olivia posted this because she knows she can. It's basically like the scene in Heathers where Veronica asks her why she is such a mega-bitch and Heather Duke replies, "Because I can be." Entitlement and privilege and knowing that you'll always be covered because of your rich person status, that's the mindset of people like that.

I do hope that this family will get significantly drained in wealth that it alters how they're able to live. Like instead of living in a 30-million dollar house, they'll have to live in 15 million dollar house. LOL.

I also hope this photo significantly damaged the defense case. That might be a pipe dream, but I doubt anyone in the P.R./legal team was happy.

I watched the video and the girl talked about how in the end Olivia Jade will probably be “just fine”.  Perhaps, but I’m wondering if she’ll be able to get those sponsors back or any ... can one be an influencer without them?  With that photo she’s coming off as a loose cannon as well as an entitled brat.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

But as I say, I think the likely explanation is that she's exaggerating this because she wants to make it clear that she's not interested in talking about the MCU.

Paltrow has done one movie that wasn't MCU in the last seven years.  I'd go beyond her not being interested in MCU.  She seems to be uninterested in doing movies.

• Like 4

Just now, ParadoxLost said:

Paltrow has done one movie that wasn't MCU in the last seven years.  I'd go beyond her not being interested in MCU.  She seems to be uninterested in doing movies.

Doesn’t she spend most of her time with that goop website and the garbage it tries to sell?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

3 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Gwynnie seems like a flake but she showed up and did her job in the movies and did it damn well. If she is having legit memory problems because of menopause then I feel for her. That happened to me for about two years with my head all fuzzy and I couldn't hold a thought or understand things people were trying to explain to me. It was horrible.

She may just be doing it for show, I have no idea. I don't care about her as a person so I don't follow anything about her but I have always enjoyed her acting.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I watched the video and the girl talked about how in the end Olivia Jade will probably be “just fine”.  Perhaps, but I’m wondering if she’ll be able to get those sponsors back or any ... can one be an influencer without them?

If she continues to have followers?  Yes.  She probably could get sponsors back as people will forget.

But as for her being fine--her parents are rich.  Odds are pretty good they'll remain rich so even if her future as an "influencer" is over, she'll be fine. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

she continues to have followers?  Yes.  She probably could get sponsors back as people will forget.

She still has 1.4 million followers.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Or movies are uninterested in her.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, GaT said:

This is the one that has me wondering if it's actually a memory problem. I can easily see Princess Goop thinking Sebastian Stan is too unimportant to bother paying attention to when being introduced to him for the eleventh or twelfth time, but Samuel Jackson is iconic and his movie career is right up there with Harrison Ford's in domestic grosses.

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Some people don't like watching themselves in movies.  Maybe she's one of them.

I wouldn't bet on Paltrow being one of those people.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 3

35 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

This is the one that has me wondering if it's actually a memory problem. I can easily see Princess Goop thinking Sebastian Stan is too unimportant to bother paying attention to when being introduced to him for the eleventh or twelfth time, but Samuel Jackson is iconic and his movie career is right up there with Harrison Ford's in domestic grosses.

It’s a misleading headline. She recognized Samuel L Jackson but she was confused about why he was in Endgame. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

Ha, the Gwyneth Paltrow thing doesn’t bother me at all because I do the same thing. I’ve been at the same company for ten years and can probably count on one hand the number of people whose names I know. I’m just very very bad at remembering people. And I don’t have memory problems because ordinarily, I remember everything. But people’s names? You know, that I know in person? Forget it.

• Like 13

I never thought Palthrow was a good actress. I think she annoyed with that false modesty that she always puts an air about herself in interviews. I mean, I sympathize with her not remembering her co-stars, but I can't forgive her for being bad on her three SNL appearances. Everybody says January Jones was terrible, but Palthrow was 10 times worse in terms of comedy.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 9

She was on 3 times and it took 20 years for them to ask Christina Applegate back? The hell? They totally could have used Christiana's brilliant Cher impersonation during her "Believe" 1998 resurgence.

Or movies are uninterested in her.

It's a combination of both. If you are a woman, movies are only interested in you as a leading lady until about your 35th birthday. Then they start to lose interest unless you 1.) started out as a "fresh face" at like 30 and kept a relatively youthful face a la Jessica Chastain, Julianne Moore, and Amy Adams or 2.) give them a reason to care like what Reese Witherspoon did with Wild and then Big Little Lies. Gwyneth really doesn't care because she already has her Oscar and her family's wealth means she doesn't have to act if she doesn't want to. I don't really see her being her mother and making a career out of appearing as affluent white moms in a variety of t.v. movies and movie comedies. Blythe really does seem to want to act and will do whatever she can get while Gwyneth basically feels like she's essentially cashing out because she cares about Goop more.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Ha, the Gwyneth Paltrow thing doesn’t bother me at all because I do the same thing. I’ve been at the same company for ten years and can probably count on one hand the number of people whose names I know.

Oh my God, I was thinking this same thing last night. Yesterday I had phone meetings with the SAME PERSON in the morning and in the afternoon (different projects). No clue in the afternoon that I had ever "met" her before. Fortunately, I didn't say anything stupid. I didn't even put it together that they were the same person until later.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If you are a woman, movies are only interested in you as a leading lady until about your 35th birthday. Then they start to lose interest

Helen Mirren and Judi Dench would like a word. 😀

• Like 7
  • Laugh 7

4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Helen Mirren and Judi Dench would like a word. 😀

I covered that with "giving them a reason to care", i.e. putting out top-quality performances. But usually to get that chance to do top-quality performances, you have to fight, like Joan Crawford did to get her comeback with Mildred Pierce. Even Meryl Streep had a fallow period that ran from the late 1980's until The Bridges of Madison Country restored her as a leading lady in the mid-90's.

I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow cares to fight.  I actually enjoy her acting for the most part but she really does feel over it and her real passion seems to be lifestyle guru.

51 minutes ago, Billina said:

In general, Hollywood tends to discard women after they hit a certain age.

It's kind of funny that Scarlett Johansson has been doing a lot lately to alienate people when she's hitting that exact age when Hollywood starts to lose interest in you, especially in her particular character type as the sexy bombshell.  It'll be interesting to see how her career shakes out as she exits the MCU and slowly heads to the 40 club.

• Like 8

Drogo

This is a place for news about celebrities.

This isn't a place for news about not-celebrities.