Type keyword(s) to search

The Continental - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Coming to Starz in the 2019-20 season;

The Continental will be set in the John Wick universe, focusing on the inner workings of the exclusive Continental Hotel which serves as a refuge for assassins.

Keanu Reeves is exec producing (maybe he'll make an appearance?).

Starz Signs Writer-Producer Heather Zuhlke To Overall Deal

Writer-producer Heather Zuhlke (Power, Tell Me A Story) has signed a two-year overall deal with Starz. Under the pact, Zuhlke will develop new projects exclusively for the network and join the writing staff of drama The Continental, from Starz and Lionsgate, as co-executive producer. The Continental is the TV series adaptation of the highly successful Lionsgate film franchise John Wick, which is currently in development.

“Heather is a wonderful addition to The Continental creative team,” said Starz President of Programming Carmi Zlotnik. “Her writing background along with her unique and personal perspective on law enforcement will enhance the thrilling underground world in the series. We look forward to developing new and exhilarating projects with Heather under her new overall deal.”

We have a premise!

about a crumbling New York in the 1970s with a garbage strike that has piled up bags of garbage to the third floor of most brownstones, the mafia muscling in on that business which is why in The Sopranos he’s in the sanitation business, and other things that are really real as an interesting backdrop to explore the origins of The Continental which is famously within the movie franchise the assassin’s hotel in which you cannot kill anyone on the hotel grounds, but of course if you step one foot off you’re fair game, and that’s employed to great effect in many of the plots in the movies. Running all of that is Winston, who is played by Ian McShane (in the movies).”

McShane previously confirmed that he won’t appear in The Continental but could do voice-over work.

“What we’re exploring in The Continental is the young Winston and how it came to be that he and his team of confederates found their way into this hotel which we have met for the first time in the movie franchise 40 years later

I was expecting something contemporary, but I'll accept this. I suppose it's just a matter of wait and see if it actually turns out good.

• Useful 1

"The Continental: From The World Of John Wick" is a prequel to the John Wick movies set in the 1970's that explores the origin of the hotel-for-assassins and how Winston Scott managed to seize the New York City branch, shown in the film franchises.

nup_201618_00072r-night-1.JPG

Colin Woodell as young Winston Scott, (Movies: Ian McShane) the Continental proprietor 

nup_201618_00039r-night-1.JPG

Ayomide Adegun as young Charon, (Movies: Lance Reddick) the Continental concierge 

nup_201618_00029r-night-1.JPG

Mel Gibson as Cormac

Nhung Kate as Yen 

nup_201618_00021r-night-1.JPG

Ben Robson as Frankie, Winston's brother 

nup_201618_00017r-night-1.JPG

Mishel Prada as KD

Hubert Point-Du Jour as Miles

nup_201620_00027r-night-3.JPG

Jessica Allain as Lou

nup_201771_00002r-night-3.JPEG

Jeremy Bobb as Mayhew

Peter Greene as Uncle Charlie

The Continental: From the World of John Wick    September 22, 2023     Peacock    3 episodes, 90 minutes each
the-continental-series-6.jpeg
Airing on Peacock in the US and Prime Video Globally
the-continental-series-2.jpeg
Mel Gibson as Cormac
Adam Shapiro as Lemmy
Ray McKinnon as Jenkins
Katie McGrath as The Adjudicator
Claire Cooper as Mrs. Davenport
Marina Mazepa as Gretal
Mark Mushashi as Hansel

(edited)

Comic-Con 2023 Schedule: Exact TIME of Major Movie, TV & Gaming Panels
By Richard Nebens Posted: July 20, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/comic-con-2023-schedule-when-time-movie-tv-gaming-panels 

FRIDAY, JULY 21
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.  ET — Peacock’s The Continental: From the World of John Wick

The Continental: From the World of John Wick gets an exclusive first look in this panel for the prequel to the John Wick movies.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Continental: Release Dates Set for ‘3-Night’ John Wick Prequel Series
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JULY 21, 2023
https://tvline.com/news/the-continental-john-wick-prequel-series-release-date-peacock-1235017394/ 

On Friday afternoon at the San Diego Comic-Con, it was announced that Peacock’s The Continental: From the World of John Wick will be released over three “nights” (read: days) on Friday, Sept. 22, Friday, Sept. 29, and Friday, Oct. 6.

Billed as a “three-part event,” The Continental is a prequel to the Keanu Reeves-led film tetralogy, with Colin Woodell (The Flight Attendant) starring as a young Winston Scott (the hotel proprietor played by Ian McShane in the movies).

Winston is “dragged into the Hell-scape of 1970s New York City to face a past he thought he’d left behind,” per the series’ official description, and “charts a deadly course through the hotel’s mysterious underworld in a harrowing attempt to seize the hotel where he will eventually take his future throne.”

The cast also includes Ayomide Adegun as a young Charon (based on the late Lance Reddick’s character in the films), Peter Greene (The Mask) as body disposal expert Uncle Charlie, Katie McGrath (Supergirl) as The Adjudicator and Mel Gibson as someone named Cormac, plus Ben Robson (Animal Kingdom), Hubert Point-Du Jour (The Good Lord Bird), Jessica Allain (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Mishel Prada (Riverdale), Nhung Kate, Ray McKinnon (Mayans MC), Adam Shapiro (Never Have I Ever), and Mark Musashi and Marina Mazepa (as High Table assassins Hansel & Gretel).

Edited by tv echo

fuXsh7wnAyyysr6qfORx1BXZPgb.jpg

After 20 years apart, Winston and Frankie Scott are about to be violently reunited. Frankie’s just stolen a priceless object from Cormac Fitzpatrick, the hotel manager and ruthless mobster from the brothers’ past. To retaliate, he sends henchmen to London to bring Winston back home to locate Frankie. The brothers, along with Frankie’s wife Yen, use their street smarts to try and outrun Cormac’s army of assassins. But just before all three are caught, Frankie must make the ultimate sacrifice.

Premiere Date: September 22, 2023      Peacock      1 hour & 35 minutes

dmMV01kSEHHGPiW38r4ohGMh7G6.jpg

With a cache of modified weapons, a team of shadow mercenaries and a top hitman in place, Winston finalizes his mission. Tension escalates as higher-ups order Cormac to find the object Frankie stole. Meanwhile, detective KD starts zeroing in on who she suspects had a hand in killing her family, which also leads her to the Continental Hotel.

Premiere Date: September 29, 2023      Peacock     1 hour & 25 minutes

Loving it. I've seen complaints that it's not "John Wick-y" enough, but I like the foundational aspects of it. I loved the John Wick films and as great as the action is, wall-to-wall stunts, no matter how astonishing, gets repetitive.  I like that this is weightier with character that way when the action comes, it's a refreshing.

-Ray McKinnon was a fantastic addition to this episode.  

-Not that it is likely, but I could envision Miles and Yen getting together. Even if they don't get together romantically, I can see her joining he and his sister. The monologue in the car was fantastic. If you've not seen "The Good Lord Bird" on Showtime, Hubert Point-Du Jour (Miles) is amazing in it.

-Best fight scene of the night (IMO) goes to Lou. Cleared everybody on the streets. 

-I got  the sense that Thomas had romantic feelings for Charon. 

• Like 2

I agree with everything you said AngieBee1. I also am enjoying the series. I like that we get to learn more about the characters and not just introducing them as objects to fight with. I hope there are more seasons... 3 episodes won't be enough for me.

• Like 1

(Season Finale)
mnoOsWYJzURObqUYHs9Svut8aJf.jpg

In the final action-packed night, Struggling to put the final pieces of the plan together, Winston's team fractures under dissent and distrust, but they manage to wage an all-out assault on the hotel; with the body count rising on both sides, Cormac cracks under the pressure. Winston's all-out revenge plan is revealed as he looks to take over the NYC crime operation with plans to transform the Continental from outdated safe house into the upscale destination of John Wick fame.

Premiere Date: October 6, 2023      Peacock     1 hour & 37 minutes

Absolutely loved the finale and the series as a whole. What a corker. 

I've seen complaints that it's not as action packed as the John Wick films, but I like that this show gave you room to breath and focused on plot and didn't just have wall-to-wall stunt pieces.  The stunts in John Wick 4 were especially unrelenting and mindnumbing by  the time it ended, so I love that this gives time to the cadre of characters.    Would really love to see a second season. 

THE 20 BEST SCI-FI TV SHOWS ON PEACOCK: THE CONTINENTAL, FARSCAPE, RESIDENT ALIEN & MORE
By SYFY WIRE Staff   Updated Jan 4, 2024
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/the-best-sci-fi-tv-shows-on-peacock-right-now 

The Continental: From the World of John Wick
Taking place in the late 1970s — nearly four decades before Keanu Reeves' world-weary hitman set out on a path of revenge — this limited prequel explores how Winston Scott (Colin Woodell) seized control of the hotel known for its killer — quite literally — clientele. After his older brother, Frankie (Ben Robson), makes off with a High Table coin press, Winston finds himself at the center of a deadly power struggle with the man who controlled the hotel before him: the sociopathic Cormac O'Connor (Mel Gibson). Taking full advantage of its disco-era backdrop, The Continental: From the World of John Wick makes for one groovy addition to the hit franchise.