Type keyword(s) to search

Humans - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The storyline with Karen and Sam is breaking my heart. Karen was created because a man was grieving over his wife, but despite her pain at the existence of being a conscious synthetic she devoted herself to caring for Sam, and sacrificed herself so he could escape. I’m only on episode 5 but I think this experience will bring Joe and Laura back together. I don't hate Joe but I always found him self righteous and self centered.  He was able to show such compassion to Karen and Sam, but not so much to his own wife?!!

I know this forum has gone quiet on an old show, but I’m finally watching Season 3 and I’m a little heartbroken. Why do we create so much science fiction about how we shouldn’t mistreat artificial intelligences and robots of various sorts, that we’ve created no less, but rarely speak about our own violence to each other? (Battlestar Galactica, Asimov’s robots, Westworld, Dollhouse, to name just a few) We also seem to fear that any creation like this will ultimately want to destroy us. 

Is mentioning the fact that people kill each other for dubious reasons every day just boring and passé from a storytelling point of view or are these stories an obvious metaphor or so we have a blind spot about our own actions? Or some combination of all of these? 

For the record I found Season 3 brilliant but sad in its realism. Does anyone remember how it was received and reviewed at the time? 

Edited by AuntieMame