Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
scarynikki12

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

Recommended Posts


Quote

If you are going to steal somebody from Wynnona Earp why not get Katherine Barrell, at least she looks like RR a little and could pull of short hair.

I don't think they should be concerned with casting someone who looks like RR and I don't think they need to copy her hairstyle. I think they should look for someone who can pull off the essential qualities of the character and will fit with the supporting cast. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, quarks said:

I wouldn't call it a priority for them, but I would add Victor Garber to your list. And probably Jesse Martin. 

If we're including guest roles, I think Mark Hamill definitely counts as a household name. 

 

Yes, the smaller supporting and guest roles that have much less screentime/time on set can get bigger names; not so much the leads who are in every other scene and have to spend 80% of their year in Vancouver.

In any case, I hope this extra-long hiatus is helpful in finding someone who is a good fit for the part.

Share this post


Link to post

The CW's Batwoman Cast and Crew Stop By DC Daily | Rachel Skarsten + Caroline Dries:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

....honestly, this makes it LESS believable to me. It just sounds like this is throwing all of the diva sterotypes at Ruby because it's easy, since she already has the label to her name. 

I just...I find it hard to believe. I know there are difficult people like this out there in the entertainment business but are we really going to take this gossiper's word for it? 

I feel like I need something more. Maybe some of it is true, but I just don't believe 80% of this.

She has a much worse rep at CDAN than this, though. There was a blind a while back where she was thought to be the subject....a story of a non-American lead with an alliterative name, on a superhero show, leaving a lot of #metoo victims in hir wake...

ETA: my bad. IDK how I got ONTD and CDAN mixed up....

Edited by nikita · Reason: correcting a mismemory and then a major mix-up

Share this post


Link to post

44 minutes ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Do they have to be gay? You don't have to be Danish to play Hamlet?

Yes, they do. The producers are looking for another out LGBT actress, just like they did the first time around.

And no, you definitely don't have to be Danish to play Hamlet, a psychopathic killer to play a psychopathic killer, a mother to play a mother, etc., but until there are so many gay lead roles available that the few openly gay actors aren't fighting over them because (with very few exceptions) it's the only way they can get cast in a lead role (because apparently the second they come out they're no longer believable playing a straight person), casting decisions like this matter.

  • Like 16
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The co-lead in Cagney & Lacey, Meg Foster, was replaced by Sharon Gless after the first season, and that's who people remember as Cagney.

Also - John Haymes Newton was replaced as lead in S2 of Superboy by Christopher George.  The show went on to reinvent itself and actually became more popular in later seasons, oddly enough.

Even if my teenaged heart much preferred Newton because he "felt" more like Superboy to me and I loved his chemistry with Stacy Haiduk's Lana Lang.  Also, I thought Newton played Superboy with more intensity in his facial expressions.  And okay - he was just hotter.

I still rewatch S1 and then lament the moment in the S2 promo when I realized he'd been replaced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Holy crap, what?! This is just shocking, while I was rather meh on Ruby Rose at first as Kate/Batwoman, she grew on me a lot over the season, much like the show itself, and now I have no idea what to expect from the next season. Yeah its happened before, actors leaving (or dying) their show and having to be replaced, even the leads, but its always so weird and awkward, especially at first. From what I have read this morning speculation wise, my guess is that RR didn't really realize how big of a commitment this would be, the work load, dealing with such a big spotlight, looking at possibly several years of working on this show, and she backed out when it all got to be too much. She has never really been a lead, especially in such a big project, but was just well known enough to have some history with viewers and to think that she could handle the pressure. Working on any network show is often exhausting, but being the lead on a really action and stunt heavy show must be even harder, (a few sites speculated that some of the fan backlash was a factor, but I tend to lean more towards just exhaustion with shooting) especially for someone without network experience. 

For re-casting, I would lean towards an unknown or someone just lesser known, which tends to work well for this franchise. Ugh this is just so weird. At least there is some silver lining to the film delays, they can at least have more time to look for a replacement. 

I agree that they need to look for a lesser known actress - someone who is really hungry and will be excited to work on a show, even with a grueling schedule.  I wish RR the best though.  I liked her scenes with MB in the crossovers...

I do wonder what this means for the other cast members though.  Will they recast some of them too?  Like if the chemistry is off, would the new actress just not be cast or would they recast the existing cast to make the new actress fit?

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, phoenics said:

Also - John Haymes Newton was replaced as lead in S2 of Superboy by Christopher George.  The show went on to reinvent itself and actually became more popular in later seasons, oddly enough.

Even if my teenaged heart much preferred Newton because he "felt" more like Superboy to me and I loved his chemistry with Stacy Haiduk's Lana Lang.  Also, I thought Newton played Superboy with more intensity in his facial expressions.  And okay - he was just hotter.

I still rewatch S1 and then lament the moment in the S2 promo when I realized he'd been replaced.

 

I loved Meg but she was so striking looking it was distracting. Loretta Switt of MASH fame actually played the role in the pilot. 

Share this post


Link to post

Tell you who I think would be perfect, Camren Bicondova from Gotham, gorgeous, looks good with short hair and athletic;

Camren_Bicondova_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Is everyone serious about short hair being a prerequisite?  Isn't seeking an LGBTQ+ actor limiting enough?  Why not go all the way and ask for a short Australian with zero chemistry with castmates?

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Camren Bicondova is a little young to be twins with Beth/Alice. She's 20. 

Are they going to have the Legends or Barry change time so Kate can look different? 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Camren Bicondova is a little young to be twins with Beth/Alice. She's 20. 

Are they going to have the Legends or Barry change time so Kate can look different? 

Go to the old soap standard of having her disfigured and then given plastic surgery? Of the rejuvenating effects of the Lazarus pit?

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Camren Bicondova is a little young to be twins with Beth/Alice. She's 20. 

Are they going to have the Legends or Barry change time so Kate can look different? 

They didnt bother with Sara....of course the OG actress didnt have that big of a role anyway but...just make a joke about "did you do something different with your hair? You look different" and let it be.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Someone wrote Jaime Alexander.. And I do think she'd be perfect and would work well with RS... But prob too pricy and not LGBTQ to my knowledge 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They didnt bother with Sara....of course the OG actress didnt have that big of a role anyway but...just make a joke about "did you do something different with your hair? You look different" and let it be.

Well I guess they did that in Iron Man. Or they can be like Pretty little Liars and not mention it at all. 

I don't think we can really compare recasting an actress that was in one scene in one episode to an actress that was in most of the scenes for an entire season. Plus they did reshoot that scene with Caity Lotz. They can't reshoot all of S1 with a new actress. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Well I guess they did that in Iron Man. Or they can be like Pretty little Liars and not mention it at all. 

I don't think we can really compare recasting an actress that was in one scene in one episode to an actress that was in most of the scenes for an entire season. Plus they did reshoot that scene with Caity Lotz. They can't reshoot all of S1 with a new actress. 

They reshot it for flashbacks but not like BW will be flashing back to all of S1. Im sure they'll choose core scenes that are important and reshoot them for flashback. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

I loved Meg but she was so striking looking it was distracting. Loretta Switt of MASH fame actually played the role in the pilot. 

Stacy Haiduk has always played Lana Lang on the tv Show Superboy in the 80s, going into the 90s.  I'm not sure what show you're talking about?

Who is Meg?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, phoenics said:

Who is Meg?

Meg Foster, the original Cagney on Cagney and Lacey. I don't remember how long she was in the role, but it was recast with Sharon Gless, who is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post

Ruby wasn't the best actress (and let's face it. It's the CW) but she did eventually get into a groove and definitely had chemistry with the cast. I liked her Kate Kane.  If we're lucky (2020 is the enemy of luck) the replacement is a good actress and has the all important chemistry with the cast. That shit is going to be jarring when it returns next year.  

Edited by Simba122504 · Reason: typo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Ruby wasn't the best actress (and let's face it. It's the CW) but she did eventually get into a groove 

Did she get into a groove or did we, the audience, just get used to her low-energy, uninspiring acting?

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Did she get into a groove or did we, the audience, just get used to her low-energy, uninspiring acting?

 😂 As the season with on, she settled into the role. She also had chemistry with Melissa for team ups.  People are dreaming if they think the CW is looking for a critically acclaimed actress. They're looking for a hot body and face because that's their MO. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/20/2020 at 1:34 AM, Rushmoras said:

I mean, if you talking about recasting leads... anyone remember Bewitched? Dick York being seamlessly replaced by Dick Sargent? And it happened, I think in season one?

YUP! I was just thinking that! 🙂  I like Dick Sargent better in the role. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

More actresses throwing their hats in the ring: Jade Tailor of The Magicians, Katy O'Brian of Z Nation/Black Lightning, and Wallis Day of Krypton.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Just keep her in the batsuit for a while and it won't be as jarring. Maybe half the first new episode.

If the actress is good, we'll be into it, the role has the potential to be magnetic in the right hands, and the we'll all be thrilled when she unmasks and we see what she really looks like.

If they keep it a secret who they cast, there will be suspense and build up to the big reveal.

Act like it's a thrilling development, and people will get excited about it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like these lists of potential replacements and I think the producers should bring them all in to play various roles after they decide on their new Kate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I just imagine Ruby at home, all, "Damn, could you at least wait for me to clear out my locker? Or have the stuff in my locker cleared out and shipped to me?!?"

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously...I hope WB allows them all to audition for the part. All decent choices.

And very telling that none of the cast have even said Rubys during all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/24/2020 at 5:40 AM, Lantern7 said:

I just imagine Ruby at home, all, "Damn, could you at least wait for me to clear out my locker? Or have the stuff in my locker cleared out and shipped to me?!?"

Well if she was as unhappy as various reports have said she might be glad that talk has turned to recasting asap so she can move on and there aren't as many people going "she was a huge asshole on set" on SM. 

I could see all three of those actresses in the role. 

Whilst a new face as Kate will be jarring I think they should rip that band aid off as quickly as possible in the episode, maybe start having her fighting in the suit and the next scene a reveal. 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if this is a mistake or new information, or even why this reporter is even getting quotes from someone who doesn't work on the show; but Collider got a quote from Marc Guggenheim about recasting Batwoman and credited him as "Batwoman Executive Producer".

I'd email, but there isn't an address for comments listed on the website, and the only thing listed for the author is his Twitter account, and I don't use Twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't know if this is a mistake or new information, or even why this reporter is even getting quotes from someone who doesn't work on the show; but Collider got a quote from Marc Guggenheim about recasting Batwoman and credited him as "Batwoman Executive Producer".

I'd classify it as somewhere between a mistake and intentional (in order to make him look more authoritative, and thus increase clicks/pageviews).  According to his IMDb profile, he does have an executive producer credit for the Batwoman's "Crisis" crossover episode, so calling him a "Batwoman executive producer" might be technically true, but is most likely misleading.

 

* * *

Regarding Rose's departure, I'm curious about the timing of the news, a week after CW's upfronts announcement.  I suspect exit negotiations had been ongoing for at least a little while.  Plus, imagine if this had happened during a normal year, with actual in-person upfront presentations.  Would news about Rose's departure had come out before CW's upfront presentation?  Or, would she just have been conspicuously absent, leading to a week or so of speculation and leaks?

 

* * *

14 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Whilst a new face as Kate will be jarring I think they should rip that band aid off as quickly as possible in the episode, maybe start having her fighting in the suit and the next scene a reveal. 

I suspect that there's a very high probability the line "I'm Batwoman" will be used in the season premiere's cold open.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, jelaine said:

Meg Foster, the original Cagney on Cagney and Lacey. I don't remember how long she was in the role, but it was recast with Sharon Gless, who is amazing.

Thanks - my point was more that none of that had anything to do with my post, which is why I was confused at the other poster's response.

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I'd classify it as somewhere between a mistake and intentional (in order to make him look more authoritative, and thus increase clicks/pageviews).  According to his IMDb profile, he does have an executive producer credit for the Batwoman's "Crisis" crossover episode, so calling him a "Batwoman executive producer" might be technically true, but is most likely misleading.

I'd say it's untrue, not just misleading, and erases the actual Batwoman EPs. If he had left "Batwoman" off of the sentence it would have been fine.
 

16 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Regarding Rose's departure, I'm curious about the timing of the news, a week after CW's upfronts announcement.  I suspect exit negotiations had been ongoing for at least a little while.  Plus, imagine if this had happened during a normal year, with actual in-person upfront presentations.  Would news about Rose's departure had come out before CW's upfront presentation?  Or, would she just have been conspicuously absent, leading to a week or so of speculation and leaks?

I think in any case the news would have come out after the season finale. Rose probably wouldn't have been at the upfronts presentation anyway; they usually bring the stars of the upcoming new shows they want to promote. Also because Rose has barely done any promotion/press for the show since it started.

Share this post


Link to post

(small gripe: CW, if you were able to squeeze both Penn and Teller into that thumbnail, you could have squeezed both Superman and Lois into their thumbnail. Moving on.)

Why Marc Guggenheim? My guess would be:

a) He does have a genuine executive producer/showrunner credit for Batwoman, even if it's for just one episode.

b) He was somewhat involved in the original casting of Ruby Rose back in the Elseworlds crossover, even though by his own admission he was not the decision maker on that casting.

c) Most importantly, he was the only Arrowverse showrunner willing/able to go on the record, and Collider wanted a quote from somebody.

Probably mostly c.

In terms of the timing of the announcement, it sorta fits with what the Arrowverse shows have usually done - not announcing that an actor/character is leaving until the broadcast of their farewell/final episode. There's certainly exceptions here and there - Emily Bett Rickards in season 7 of Arrow, which was announced in advance, and Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford in this season of Legends of Tomorrow, also announced in advance, but usually, the character dies on screen/leaves the team and then the shows make an announcement. As Batwoman did earlier this season with Elizabeth Anweis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding the Marc Guggenheim quote, he’s directing tonight’s episode of Legends, and it looks like he’s doing the rounds of interviews for that.  It could be that they just decided to grab a quote from him on the Batwoman situation while they had him, and just posted it as a separate story. 

ETA: Yes, here’s the Legends interview.  It was probably just all part of the same conversation.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Regarding the Marc Guggenheim quote, he’s directing tonight’s episode of Legends, and it looks like he’s doing the rounds of interviews for that.  It could be that they just decided to grab a quote from him on the Batwoman situation while they had him, and just posted it as a separate story. 

ETA: Yes, here’s the Legends interview.  It was probably just all part of the same conversation.

That makes sense; the author crediting him as a Batwoman producer doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That would be utterly ridiculous. Most roles get recast all the time without even so much as a mention of the difference, much less an on-screen explanation. Viewers aren't that stupid. They will already know that Ruby Rose quit and was replaced by a different actress. There should be absolutely no need to comment on the difference or explain it as part of the show.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It's not the best idea logistically, anyway. Like someone mentioned in the comments on that article, the show would never be able to film new flashbacks to previous periods in Ruby/Kate's life because they wouldn't have access to Ruby. Better to just have a new actress step in and act like she's been Kate all along.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sure they will have someone do the "Did you change your hair? You look different" bit so I would like to have it be when "Bruce" and Kate reunite. "Bruce" asks the question, Kate responds "it's just been a long time since we last saw each other", and that's it. None of the other characters should comment on Kate looking different since all of them have seen her recently. I doubt I'll get my way and we'll see Mary, Jacob, Alice, and "Bruce" all comment on her looking different. Just to drive it home.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On a show where there are already stories about face swapping, I think they REALLY need to stay away from anything that even slightly suggests Kate might have changed her appearance via surgery or any other dramatic method.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Season 1 DVD + Blu-ray info:

http://batwomantv.com/batwoman-season-1-blu-ray-dvd-sets-announced/

Quote

The future of Gotham is in her hands with the release of Batwoman: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray and DVD on August 18, 2020 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Strap yourself in for an exhilarating ride with all 20 episodes from the first season, plus The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2019, deleted scenes and a gag reel.

A limited-edition bonus disc featuring all five DC Crossover Event Crisis on Infinite Earths episodes will be available exclusively for fans who purchase the Blu-ray.

Batwoman: The Complete First Season is priced to own at $39.99 SRP for the DVD ($44.98 in Canada) and $44.98 SRP for the Blu-ray ($49.99 in Canada), which includes a Digital Copy (U.S. only). Batwoman: The Complete First Season is also available to own on Digital via purchase from digital retailers.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Feel free to roll your eyes on this one but CDAN has this blind:

Quote

There is a popular, studio-supported narrative this foreign born alliterate actress quit because she accepted the role without understanding the hard work involved. That "don't understand the hard work and what it entails" narrative was present in the production during the 1st season, used to excuse extremely lax safety protocols and a cavalier attitude toward cast and crew safety.

 

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Between Batwoman and Riverdale,  the cw seems like a pretty dangerous place to work. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size