Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I just hope this doesn’t come at the expense of Kate interacting with the other heroes.

Even though I want this too, I feel like that ship has sailed after seeing 3/5ths of the crossover.

• Love 1

This doesn't spoil anything specific so I'm putting this quote from the showrunner here:

Teasing the impact of the crossover on each of the five shows, <...> Caroline Dries said that although the Batwoman characters are in the dark about multiverses and powered superheroes, it nonetheless “will have a shocking resonance” for Kate; ...

https://tvline.com/2020/01/02/lucifer-final-season-5-spoilers-deckerstar/

(Spoilers for other shows at the link)

Some DC/WB cross marketing with a 'sneak peek' of the BOP: HQ movie during tonight's Batwoman episode:

Would have been nice if they had done this for the Canaries backdoor pilot of Arrow this week, but it makes sense that they choose Batwoman since it is also set in Gotham, is also Batman-adjacent, and has higher ratings.

• Love 1

More Dries quotes at EW; also about the Beth reveal:

Alas, Dries wouldn’t reveal what the answer was. “We will find out next week why Beth has suddenly appeared,” she said. “The audience will experience who Beth is at the same time our on-screen characters do as we learn more about her.  How long she’ll be back is also something we will discover later.” ...

Preview clip and more quotes from the showrunner: Batwoman sneak peek

“I was heavily involved in the crossover, and the thing I’d been struggling with since the beginning was: How can we make Kate’s life a little bit more integrated with all of this madness of sci-fi and aliens, and the dense mythology between The Flash, Arrow, and Legends, and time travel?” says Dries. “What’s kind of our takeaway from the crossover that could really rattle the show without feeling like all of a sudden we have aliens on the show or meta-humans and stuff?  You know, keeping it grounded as we started the season.”

“Marc was like, ‘Yeah, this can reset people’s characters if you want. It can do a lot of different stuff for your stories.’ So I went back to our writers [and asked], ‘Is there anything we can do here?’ Obviously, the idea is Beth is Kate’s Achilles heel for this season, and so I think James Stoteraux pitched, ‘You know, what if Beth comes back?’ And I was like, ‘Oh my God, yes.’ So we decided to go with that,” says Dries.

---

Eh -- I get wanting to integrate Batwoman with the other shows - even though I don't think it's necessary - but I don't know if a doppelganger is a good way to do it. I liked that this show was a little more grounded.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Trini said:

Preview clip and more quotes from the showrunner: Batwoman sneak peek

---

Eh -- I get wanting to integrate Batwoman with the other shows - even though I don't think it's necessary - but I don't know if a doppelganger is a good way to do it. I liked that this show was a little more grounded.

Arrow started off very grounded and ended up...…..not, so I'm not sure it was ever going to be an option for Batwoman. I get what you mean though.

They certainly didn't have to do anything but a Beth being back gives them options on how to use both Alice and Beth going forward. And I doubt it's going to be a straightforward choice where Kate has Beth now so is okay taking down the Alice version and forgetting about her. They probably weren't going to wreck their pre COIE cliffhanger of Catherine dying and Jacob being in jail so soon.

We'll see what happens tonight but they still seem to be keeping the same tone of the show. 

Demo still lower this week - it aired against the Grammys; 1.11 ratings:

At the CW, it was business as usual with their comic book series lineup with Batwoman (0.2, 870,000) and Supergirl (0.2, 970,000), which both held steady with last week’s numbers.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/grammy-ratings-slip-kobe-bryant-billie-eilish-cbs-1202842407/

Batwoman (870K/0.2) and Supergirl (965K/0.2) each added viewers while steady in the demo — with the former improving on last week’s audience low and the latter equaling its second-largest non-crossover audience of the season.

https://tvline.com/2020/01/27/grammys-ratings-billie-eilish-wins-five-kobe-bryant-tributes/

1 hour ago, BaggythePanther said:

What happened? I thought the show was doing relatively well. We’re the ratings all due to Crisis build up or something?

I'm not an expert, but they were coming back from a break + tough competition (football, then Grammys). And then it's reruns the next two Sundays.

9 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

What happened? I thought the show was doing relatively well. We’re the ratings all due to Crisis build up or something?

Those are the live ratings so the dip in numbers just means that an increased number of people didn't watch it during that hour. It doesn't take into account delayed views which are always significantly higher. It also doesn't include the data from streaming nor does it include the international numbers. Don't forget that The CW doesn't care about these ratings at all so a dip in the live numbers means nothing to them. The show's already been renewed so the network isn't worried about people watching.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Those are the live ratings so the dip in numbers just means that an increased number of people didn't watch it during that hour. It doesn't take into account delayed views which are always significantly higher. It also doesn't include the data from streaming nor does it include the international numbers. Don't forget that The CW doesn't care about these ratings at all so a dip in the live numbers means nothing to them. The show's already been renewed so the network isn't worried about people watching.

I know the CW doesn’t care about live ratings. I just wondered if the big dip in live ratings could be an indication that streaming views might go down as well. And I’m curious about how Batwoman has been distributed internationally. I know I’ve read people in the UK complaining that they aren’t able to see it yet. 

From TVLine's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | Rachel Skarsten was already a scene stealer on Batwoman, but for too a short while there, she doubled her haul as both Alice and Beth. The Feb. 16 episode started off with an electric sequence in which Alice surveyed her disappointingly “basic” other — and came to realize why her doppelganger was spared a tragic childhood. (Raise your hand if you squirmed on Kate’s behalf as that truth came out!) The hour’s final act, though, is where Skarsten dug in deep as each dying character lobbied, or didn’t, to be the one whose life Kate saved. As Beth, Skarsten was full of selfless understanding. Her Alice, meanwhile, was at first crestfallen to learn of Kate’s choice… and then explosively hissing with new levels of vengeance, as she rose from the dead ready to make her twin pay for this brand-new slight.

Also a preview clip of tomorrow's episode: https://tvline.com/2020/02/22/batwoman-video-season-1-episode-13-nocturna-vampire-villain/

Edited by Trini

Camrus Johnson interview and photo shoot in DA MAN magazine:

DA: Moving on, tell us about your character in “Batwoman”…
CJ: Luke Fox is the man! Whaddya wanna know? [Laughs] He’s the quick witted, straight forward tech guy whose father’s death still weighs heavily on his shoulders. He works with Batwoman as the brains of their vigilante operation by creating her gadgets and weapons, communicating with her over comms and saving her butt when she gets trapped in a corner. And although Luke works with Kate Kane very closely, they’ve also accidentally become each other’s only friend and they confide in each other often in order to remain sane in this wild situation that they’re in, and this even wilder city.

DA: How’s life on the “Batwoman” set?
CJ: We may have one of the greatest TV crews on the planet. The amount of jokes and games that we have on set is pretty legendary. It’s a very fun, supportive environment—even on a day where we have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it. We move as a team and as a family and we get it done and that’s really all you can ask for.

DA: How do you build your chemistry with Ruby Rose and the crew?
CJ: Well, the cast and I hang out pretty often. Our chemistry and dynamics grow stronger and clearer each and every time. It’s funny because I actually have been wanting us all to hang out even more; but when I talk to some of my friends on other shows, they say that they try to hang out as much as we do already! I’m a big believer that fun brings people together. So, an escape room, whale watching, game nights, boat tours and all of the other things that we’ve been able to do together has been very important to how close we are in real life and how we play off of one another on screen.

DA: What do you love the most about playing Luke Fox?
CJ: His most serious moments. I’m blessed to be able to play with Luke and be funny. I always love being able to do that and make my character more “approachable,” if you will. But in addition to that, his moments of keeping Kate grounded, explaining his thought process and speaking on death are the moments I live for. That’s why my part in “Crisis on Infinite Earths” was so fun for me because I got to play a more serious version of Luke where he just meant business and you could feel what he was capable of oozing off of him.

Camrus-8.jpg

• Love 1

'Batwoman boss explains why Kate needed to break Batman's biggest rule'

Why was it important to take Kate in this direction?

It was important to me because I was trying to figure out Kate’s own morality and who Kate was. There’s this assumption, because she’s wearing the Batsuit, Kate follows Batman’s rule book and is gonna follow the Bat-code: Batman doesn’t kill people. As I was thinking about that and interviewing writers at the beginning of the season, everyone had that assumption. But I was like, a code is something that evolves through your own personal journey and Kate hasn’t been on her journey yet. We’re on the journey with her. So Kate doesn’t really know what her code is until she hits those lines in the sand that she doesn’t know if she wants to cross or not. We’re watching her develop her own code. To me, she needs to make — I don’t want to necessarily call it a mistake — moves that have very intense consequences in order to figure out who she actually is.

13 hours ago, Delphi said:

I get that they want to spread out what they have.   But honestly, the people trapped in their houses would probably appreciate new content now. 

I feel seen.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2020 at 6:09 AM, Delphi said:

I get that they want to spread out what they have.   But honestly, the people trapped in their houses would probably appreciate new content now. 

What I'm now hearing directly from WB sources and one person at Legends of Tomorrow is that the problem is that advertisers everywhere are (understandably!) pulling back massively from media buys, and the CW wants to be able to offer at least some original content once this trend reverses.

• Useful 1
(edited)

HomeCon (Virtual Event), April 10-11, 2020 (Twitch Streaming)
Arrow: Ben Lewis, Anna Hopkins and Kris Holden-Ried 
Supergirl: Nicole Maines, Azie Tesfai and Andrea Brooks
Batwoman: Camrus Johnson and Rachel Skarsten
https://homeconofficial.com/

HomeCon connects individuals who are respectfully staying at home to an online event community that’s bringing a brand new face to the world of pop culture conventions. Attendees will have the opportunity to attend live virtual panels with the stars of their favorite shows—and they will be able to book video chats with celebs in intimate one-on-one video settings. HomeCon is the ultimate virtual fan experience.

Edited by tv echo

'...Stars and Showrunners Reveal Their Favorite Episodes of Their Own Shows'

Camrus Johnson - Batwoman

S1E16, "Through the Looking-Glass"

Episode 16 for sure. I love playing my character Luke Fox's distressed and panicked side from the batcave any day. But in Episode 16 we see time slow down for him as he leaves the batcave and confronts who he suspects to be his father's killer while literally crying outside in the rain. The episode is absolutely heartbreaking and the 2 main plot twists are impressively written."

Meagan Tandy - Batwoman

S1E14, "Grinning From Ear to Ear"

"This is the first time everyone gets to see the real Sophie Moore. She not only begins a 'secret' relationship with Batwoman, but she tells her mother the truth about who she really is and her response is one that effects Sophie for many episodes to come." 

Rachel Skarsten - Batwoman

S1E12, "Take Your Choice" - "I loved this episode because I was afraid to do it and I love being given challenges as an actor, doing things that scare me. I've never played two characters at once, let alone in a scene together. It was such a cool experience and I'm proud of how it turned out." 

S1E15, "Off With Her Head" - "This episode was particularly challenging for me emotionally but I loved the opportunity it gave me to get people on Alice's side, to understand who she is and why she does what she does from a very human perspective. Also crying for 18 hours a day was cathartic haha"