Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

Casting news: Meagan Tandy, Camrus Johnson & Nicole Kang To Co-Star In the CW Pilot

Character descriptions:

Spoiler

Tandy will play Sophie Moore. After graduating from military academy, Sophie rose through the ranks to become a high-level private security agent and one of Gotham’s staunchest protectors. Despite her bite and regimented outlook, Sophie has a soft side, illuminated by Kate Kane’s return.

Johnson will portray Luke Fox. A Dark Knight loyalist and son of Wayne’s R&D director Lucius Fox, Luke works to keep Wayne Tower secure in his boss’s absence. While Luke considers himself the guardian of all things Batman — specifically his symbol — he also recognizes the city’s need for a new hero.

Kang is Mary Hamilton. Excitable, talkative, and an influencer-in-the-making, Mary is Kate Kane’s step-sister and polar opposite. But what Mary lacks in a filter, she makes up for with her compassion for Gotham’s underserved communities, proving she has more in common with Kate than she thinks.

Somewhere along the line we missed this big one... Rachel Skarsten (currently watchable in the DC Universe service, in the 2002 Birds of Prey series) will play Alice, the villain of the piece.  Plus, YVRShoots has some set pics...

Spoiler

A big gala of some sort with a red carpet was shot at the Vancouver Art Museum... but being Gotham City, for security purposes the whole thing was surrounded by barbed wire.  I love it; I think it's hilarious.

• Love 2

It was a pretty safe bet that this was going to get picked up to series, but here is the first word from the CW president, although it's still not the official announcement:

This is all to say that The CW is at a turning point, and Pedowitz knows in which direction he wants to continue.

"We know who we are and it's pretty set forth in the development," he said. The next Arrow-verse spinoff, Batwoman, "will help extend the franchises and the Arrow-verse. ...

From this article about CW needing to replace the shows that are ending:

Almost of all this year’s pilots—several of which will be ordered to series ahead of next month’s upfront—lean heavily on existing IP (intellectual property), including Batwoman, Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene, Jane the Virgin spinoff Jane the Novela and reimaginings of The Lost Boys and Nancy Drew.

“These five projects came in quite strong, and to have, in a very fractionalized world, IP that you can promote, means a lot,” said Pedowitz. “IP gives you the ability to get noticed and the ability to promote. But more importantly, it’s also, what’s the take of the showrunner?”

Batwoman, whose lead character (played by Ruby Rose) was introduced in this season’s annual superhero crossover “is a no-brainer, particularly coming out of the crossover,” said Pedowitz.

Assuming that is picked up to series—and it is among this year’s surest bets among pilots—it would give The CW a total of six superhero series next season. While he won’t decide for sure until he sets the 2019-20 schedule next month, “my gut instinct says we will not have all six on [the schedule] at the same time, in all likelihood,” said Pedowitz. “It’s nice to rotate them in and out; they’re all quality shows.”

'With Batman Off-Limits, How Some DC Comics TV Shows Have Found a Workaround'

The CW’s latest series as part of its expanding “Arrowverse” is likely to be “Batwoman,” which is part of its current group of pilots and considered a near-lock to get picked up to series. The project allows the network to finally incorporate Gotham City and much of Batman’s world, even if it can’t use Batman himself. So the creative team leaned into that aspect: What is Gotham City without the Dark Knight?

“It’s a post-Batman Gotham City,” Sarah Schechter, an executive producer for the series, told TheWrap. “What is it like after these heroes leave?”

When Ruby Rose made her debut as the character, along with Gotham City, during the CW’s “Elseworlds” crossover event in December, it featured the first mention of any kind that Batman does in fact exist. Or, more specifically, he did exist. It’s just that he left Gotham City about three years ago. That question serves as the jumping off point for Kate Kane aka Batwoman’s story.

“What’s great about the restriction of just focusing on Batwoman is that we have to build a world for our character,” Schechter added. “Part of not using the crutch of Batman is making sure we’re establishing this really complicated world for her to live in. It’s a reflection of her in a lot of ways.”

• Love 1

Interview with the set/production designer of the Batwoman pilot, Lisa Soper:

io9: Are there any Batman or DC Easter eggs we should look out for in Batwoman?

Soper: Absolutely! I can’t tell you exactly where they are, but I will say that DC was amazing with knowing that this is being made for fans, and I am a fan. They provided us with a lot of content we were allowed to use, and I used every single thing we could. When you’re looking at our first episode, in particular, have a really close look at what’s happening in the background, or if someone is holding something.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:39 PM, MarkHB said:

Somewhere along the line we missed this big one... Rachel Skarsten (currently watchable in the DC Universe service, in the 2002 Birds of Prey series) will play Alice, the villain of the piece.  Plus, YVRShoots has some set pics...

Reveal spoiler

A big gala of some sort with a red carpet was shot at the Vancouver Art Museum... but being Gotham City, for security purposes the whole thing was surrounded by barbed wire.  I love it; I think it's hilarious.

I love Rachel Skarsten. I was a little disappointed to hear that she’s a villain, but if the rumor that 

Spoiler

Alice and Kate are twins

is true, she may be around a few seasons.

Full-on spoilery synopsis of the series:

Spoiler

Kate Kane (Ruby Rose) never planned to be Gotham’s new vigilante. Three years after Batman mysteriously disappeared, Gotham is a city in despair. Without the Caped Crusader, the Gotham City Police Department was overrun and outgunned by criminal gangs. Enter Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and his military-grade Crows Private Security, which now protects the city with omnipresent firepower and militia. Years before, Jacob’s first wife and daughter were killed in the crossfire of Gotham crime. He sent his only surviving daughter, Kate Kane, away from Gotham for her safety. After a dishonorable discharge from military school and years of brutal survival training, Kate returns home when the Alice in Wonderland gang targets her father and his security firm, by kidnapping his best Crow officer Sophie Moore (Meagan Tandy).

Although remarried to wealthy socialite Catherine Hamilton-Kane (Elizabeth Anweis), who bankrolls the Crows, Jacob is still struggling with the family he lost, while keeping Kate –– the daughter he still has –– at a distance. But Kate is a woman who’s done asking for permission. In order to help her family and her city, she’ll have to become the one thing her father loathes –– a dark knight vigilante. With the help of her compassionate stepsister, Mary (Nicole Kang), and the crafty Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson), the son of Wayne Enterprises’ tech guru Lucius Fox, Kate Kane continues the legacy of her missing cousin, Bruce Wayne, as Batwoman.

Still holding a flame for her ex-girlfriend, Sophie, Kate uses everything in her power to combat the dark machinations of the psychotic Alice (Rachel Skarsten), who’s always somewhere slipping between sane and insane. Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate soars through the shadowed streets of Gotham as Batwoman. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, she must first overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Batwoman pairing with Supergirl makes a lot of sense. I thought it would be midseason and paired with Flash but I like this more. Elseworlds did a great job of setting up Kate and Kara one day being friends and I hope this is a sign that this will happen.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Batwoman pairing with Supergirl makes a lot of sense. I thought it would be midseason and paired with Flash but I like this more. Elseworlds did a great job of setting up Kate and Kara one day being friends and I hope this is a sign that this will happen.

Yes! I like this pairing together - though I would have put Supergirl at 8 and Batwoman at 9, just based on the tone each of them have.

• Love 2

It looks like the pilot is set before Elseworlds as there's no indication (yet) that those scenes are flashbacks. That means they have a lot of ground to cover between pilot and the Crisis crossover. Can't wait.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

It looks like the pilot is set before Elseworlds as there's no indication (yet) that those scenes are flashbacks. That means they have a lot of ground to cover between pilot and the Crisis crossover. Can't wait.

Oooh, I didn’t even think of that! That is a lot of time to cover, in addition to having to intro all the characters, start world building, set up the plot, etc. It will be interesting to see how/when they weave in Elseworlds.... or if they do at all. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

World's Finest Sundays!  Batwoman will be leading Sunday nights at 8, followed by Supergirl at 9!

You know this is exactly how they’re going to promote their Sundays next fall. 

7 hours ago, shantown said:

Yes! I like this pairing together - though I would have put Supergirl at 8 and Batwoman at 9, just based on the tone each of them have.

I don’t get it either. Though the CW did the same thing this year in the fall when they scheduled Arrow at 8 and Legends at 9. I swear the person who schedules these shows probably knows nothing about them and just decided to have them air in alphabetical order.

• LOL 1

Interview with Camrus Johnson:

You’re also starring as Luke Fox in Batwoman. How would you describe Luke? 

Camrus Johnson: It’s hard to say. Luke Fox is a lot of things. What we see in the pilot is that he takes his job very seriously, so he’s kind of nervous because he doesn’t want to make the big man mad. I think that’s where the comedy comes from. He’s kind of adorable. He’s trying to be serious but he’s so cute. He’s super smart and he comes from money. I think Nicole Kang is another comedic relief because she is so funny in this and there’s comedy throughout sort of.

How would you sort of tease the dynamic between Luke and Kate?

Camrus Johnson: Where it is right now, I think he’s still trying to figure out what he thinks about Kate. Because it’s all brand-new for him, for both of them really. And I can’t obviously say much about what happens, but I think he will soon grow to like her, but I think he’s a cautious man in general. I think he’s very protective of his job. He’s very protective of everything and everyone. So he never wants to say too much or show too much, and whenever anyone shows interest, which doesn’t happen very often, he’s always very wary. He’s definitely intrigued, but he’s cautious.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2019/05/17/camrus-johnson-batwoman-the-sun-is-also-a-star-interview/

About the VFX for Batwoman:

Gotham will be reimagined for Batwoman. “We have the Chris Nolan, Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher versions. The TV series Gotham did it differently. We did a little bit of it in Titans. Now we’re in the process of rethinking Gotham on our end. You stay true to the comics as far as the Gothic design, but pepper it with more modern buildings as well.”

Before Batwoman started shooting in February, Kevorkian was prepping “certain environments I knew we were going to have to do CG for. I knew I was going to need a digital double of [Ruby Rose, playing Batwoman], so we started building that. You work with the director and get some storyboards to figure out what you’ll need.

http://vfxvoice.com/crossing-the-sprawling-dc-television-universe/

To show she's generous to homeless people ( and all less fortunate I guess) especially when "authority" disapproves. Time setting maybe but not particularly interesting. I haven't found any of the trailers and teases so far to be much goo, though I guess there will be a lot of people tuning in anyway.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, SimoneS said:

I had the same reaction. What was that supposed to be?

"She defies authority! She's a *rebel*!" I guess; if giving to panhandlers is considered 'edgy'.

----

This is Batman adjacent, so people will definitely check it out because of that.

(edited)

CW Fall premiere dates. Batwoman starts premiere week on October 6th, and will get two encores in the same week:

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6
8:00-9:00pm BATWOMAN (Series Premiere)
9:00-10:00pm SUPERGIRL (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7
8:00-9:00pm ALL AMERICAN (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00pm BATWOMAN (Encore of Series Premiere)

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8
8:00-9:00pm THE FLASH (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00pm BATWOMAN (2nd Encore of Series Premiere)

Edited by Trini

Batwoman at San Diego Comic Con:

SPECIAL PREVIEW NIGHT SCREENINGS
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17

6:00–10:00 p.m.
Batwoman and Pennyworth World Premieres and Special Sneak Peek Screenings — Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television Group proudly continue the annual Preview Night tradition with exclusive world premiere pilot screenings of the new series Batwoman and Pennyworth, exclusively for the Comic-Con audience. ...  Ballroom 20

SATURDAY, JULY 20

10:30–11:45 a.m. Batwoman Pilot Screening and Q&A — Ballroom 20

https://comiccon.thewb.com/